- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS, MAGIC CITY

MAY 2, 1979 (10:30 PM/CDT)

  "It was a mad house," Cecilia Finster told my dad via his shrinkie-talkie:  "Oscar and Jumana arguing with Proctor and the cops.  The cops trying to forcibly escort the kids out of the police station (or else be locked up for disturbing the peace).  And Ali Hassan and his boys assaulting the cops for daring to lay hands on a princess of Najranistan!"

 "How did everything finally get resolved?" Dad asked.

 "Jumana called the Najrani Embassy in Washington.  Their legal attache contacted an ex-law school classmate working for the ACLU in Dallas.  And, an hour later, that acquaintance was on a diplomatic jet that flew her to Wheeler County Commuter Airport.  Forty-minutes after that, Brooke Rivera was out on bail.  Needless to say, however, she's been suspended from school pending a full hearing."  

 "I suppose the Royce triplets and their boyfriends are sticking to their prefabricated story?"

 "Yep!  And Proctor is continuing to buy it, although I don't see why.  I mean, she's a straight-A student!  Especially, in his class. So, why would she suddenly go to such clumsy lengths to cheat?"

 "Maybe he's being bribed," Dad replied:  "I mean, how much does even a tenured college professor make after taxes each year?"

 "Good question.  I'll look into it.  In the meantime, Jumana will be moving out of the sorority house, as well.  More out of loyalty to Brooke than any 'request' from the college faculty."

 "Good Lord!" exclaimed Dad:  "Not into the same mobile home, I hope."

 Since it had been naturally out of the question to allow Jumana's male bodyguards to reside in the sorority house with her, a mobile home had been rented that would occupy a nearby parking facility.  With two of the Zouaves stationed inside it, at all times, while the remainder rented rooms at the same off-campus boarding house as Cecilia and Meriwether!

 Cecilia laughed (as Dad had therapeutically intended).

  "Of course not!  The whole bunch of them are moving into the penthouse suite at the Snodgrass Arms in Downtown Magic City.  Which is where Ali Hassan had wanted them all to reside in the first place!  But, Jumana wouldn't hear of it.  She wanted to seem just like any other college co-ed."

  "It's probably just as well," Dad replied:  "It's where her parents will doubtless be staying, anyway, once they get here."

  "Unfortunately," Cecilia continued:  "...our part of the job isn't over.  That means you'll have to stow away in her belongings in order to accompany her."

  "Wow!" exclaimed Dad:  "Me?  Spending three days in the penthouse of a five-star hotel?  Rent-free?!  We shrunken guys have all the fun."

  "Don't get cocky, Buck.  Remember Rule Number One."

  "Yeah, yeah, I know.  Keep the subject unaware of me."

   That's why Dad had chosen to stow away inside one of Jumana's Wranglerette boots.  Since it was so late in the evening, by the time she had gotten back from bailing out her roommate, he thought it a relatively safe hiding place while she packed up her things for the emergency relocation.   And, for a little while, he was right.

  That is, till the luggage was finished being brought up to the penthouse. 

  "It is nearly quarter past eleven, Your Highness," said Ali Hassan:  "You and Miss Rivera should start getting ready for bed.  My men and I will see to putting your clothes away."

  "Nonsense, Captain!  Brooke and I are big girls.  We can put our own clothes away.  You guys have done enough for us, tonight.  Go get some sleep."

  "As you wish," the Zouave replied with a bow:  "Although, two of us will still remain awake to safeguard these new quarters."

  Jumana could not help sighing in response.

  "Fine, fine!  Pleasant dreams, in any case."

  Jumana then looked at Brooke:  "Helluva night, huh, roomie?"

  The young tejana looked at her and half-grinned.

  "Yeah.  Thanks for everything, by the way.  Bailing me out and putting me up for the night.  You didn't really have to leave TNA, though.  The faculty couldn't kick both of us out without causing an international incident!"

  "I don't desert my friends, Brooke.  Not for any reason.  Now...think fast!"

  It had been meant as a playful prank, meant to take Brooke's mind off everything else she had just gone through.  And, usually, the words "Think fast!" were followed by the tossing of something relatively lightweight and harmless.  Like a washcloth or a pair of white gym socks destined for the laundry hamper.  But, tonight, the closest thing within grasping distance...were Jumana's Wranglerette boots.

  Needless to say, Brooke was too distracted to successfully catch them.  Consequently, she dodged to her right, thereby narrowly avoiding being hit in the face!  Jumana, of course, gasped.  Chanting the words "I'm sorry!" over and over.  That is, till she became aware that Brooke was looking down at the carpeted floor of the penthouse master bedroom.   A stunned expression on her face.

  "Brooke!  Are you all right?!"

  The young tejana merely nodded.  Pointing down at the floor, with her left index finger, as she did so.  Jumana looked in the same direction...and saw my dazed dad for the first time.

  tbc