- Text Size +

Brimiera kept me cupped within her hands, shielding me from the cold rain coming down. Her face was still stone cold with a serious look in her eyes. I was meek and stayed silent on our walk towards her folks' house. We had to cross through the market to get through the other side of the small island. The market was slow today, a few mermaids here and there but not like the first day I saw. We passed the humans before that were trapped in the cage, for sale to other mermaids. They looked dreadful and soulless beings, begging for death. Bri quickened her pace as she saw me stare onwards at the poor people. She clenched her hands closer to me, enclosing my space more so than it already was. 

"Bri" I called out. "Can I have some room to breathe please? I feel like you'll smother me if you close your hands any tighter."

"I'm sorry Hayley, I'm just nervous. I haven't seen my mother in a long time. She will be very callous to me."

"What should I do while you're speaking with her?" I asked sheepishly.

"Stay silent and very still. Act obedient."

"Yes ma'am" I said with a wink. Bri didn't smile back at my gesture. 

We came upon a wooden hut structure with huge tree branches functioning at the roof. It seemed like a sturdy building with basic and simplistic features. Bri stood before the house and took a deep breath in and exhaled rather forcefully. She glanced down at me and nodded her head with a small smile, also rather forced. she strode into the house and announced herself in,

"Mom? Dad? It's Brimeira." She called out.

A large woman walked into the entry hall, standing over 60 feet tall, a considerable height difference between Brimeira and the woman. Brimeiria was around 40 feet I assumed..she stood a whole head taller than Bri. However, her mother was stalkier in physical features. Her face was narrow with sleek purple-ish eyes with streaks of black interwoven in her iris. Her hair was black, strictly black. She was wearing a dress of gray colored fabric and barefoot. Her right leg however had a horrific burn mark beginning on the shin and going down to her foot. The burn mark was a deep red, almost purple that left the skin wrinkled and leathery. The look on her face was creepily welcoming and cold at the same time. She squinted her eyes at Bri and hesitated a moment before saying anything. She crossed her arms and stepped forward,

"WELL, hello there Brimeira. How nice of you to stop by. Your father isn't here right now, he went off hunting for whales for dinner. Do you plan to stay for dinner?" she said bluntly.

"Hello mother, it's nice to see you. I haven't decided yet, maybe some tea first and catching up?" Bri grasped at me gently.

"Will that monstrosity be for a light snack then? You do know how much I love eating humans, you're father won't buy anymore this year." She pouted devilishly.

She was very keen with me, eyeing me closely. Bri tucked her hand under her arm and kept me close to her body.

"No, mother. This human is mine. I captured her out at sea and I plan to keep her for a while. Killing them right away isn't satisfying anymore. It's rather boring."

"You? Take a human from the sea? That's a first... what made you so malicious for this human season? Finally over your charity phase for those wicked beings?" Her mother rolled her eyes and walked away into the kitchen to prepare a pot of tea. 

"Can we not get into this already? I haven't been here for even 5 minutes. And just so you know, Alsea sank the humans' ship and gorged herself with a handful of them. I took this one so she wouldn't have another for her grotesque desires."

"Well then, it seems you should take lessons from Alsea. She knows how to treat them properly. Let me see the thing since it's here, in MY house." Her frightening eyes were glued to me, waiting for Bri to set me on display for her mother to gander at.

"Fine, but under NO circumstances are you allowed to harm her. Do you understand? She is MY property."

Bri was slow bringing me to a rough marbled counter, she gently nudged me off her hand and onto the lifeless slab of rock. Her mother was immensely bigger... I craned my neck to look up to her face. I immediately regretted it. Her face was fierce with disdain, she looked down with eyes of hate and rage, I could feel it emitting from her. She brought her hand onto the counter next to me. Her hands were rough and dry with strong fingers that walked further than they should've. She tapped her fingers intently, making the counter shake lightly under my feet. She stared insistently waiting for some kind of reaction out of me. I stood up straight, challenging her.

"KNEEL" Bri said firmly. I looked up at Bri to see searing eyes, striking at my core from the outside. My stomach dropped like a rollercoaster.

"I said, KNEEL!" She flicked the back of my knees forcing me to fall to my hands. It was like experiencing a whiplash from a tree trunk. My legs were bruising immediately, I could already tell. I tilted my head down and remained motionless, waiting for further instructions.

"Good to see you have her trained, somewhat. She needs to obey you by just looking at you, you needn't speak to her. Your voice is too precious to be heard by a pathetic creature. Still, you picked out a decent human. She's cute and bold, I'll give her that." Bri's mother began pouring some tea into sea shell cups.

"She's still learning, she'll know her place soon enough." Bri said emotionless. 

"Hmm I'm sure. How is Alsea anyways? She hasn't stopped by for a long while either. I wouldn't mind seeing her soon, OH! Even a family dinner would be lovely wouldn't it?"

"I don't speak to her as much, you know that. We live very different lives. As for family dinner I have to pass on that. Work has been very busy patrolling the Atlantic waters. Can't be too careful."

"Ah! Yes! I do love what you do for a living honey, makes me proud to be your mother! Too bad you haven't had the chance to really do proactive measures during patrol, it's quite thrilling! I miss those days..." She trailed off, staring into her tea with a blank sorrowful look. 

"I know mother, you used to tell me all the time about your adventures in the Sea Guard. Maybe one day it will be more exciting, but I'm content with boring maintenance patrols. Alsea keeps me on my fins enough of the time."

"She always was the trouble maker." She chuckled. I could feel her glare on my body, inspecting my features.

"If you can call blatant disregard of our secret existence 'trouble' then I would love to see your version of the black dolphin in the family." Bri was agitated and fidgeting with her cup of tea. 

"There's nothing wrong with attacking humans! Let her have her fun, she's providing a service to those miserable parasites! Let them all die, I say."

"She can do what she wants with humans, I don't care about that! But she can't be allowed to take large numbers of them every year for her selfish needs! Everyone is regulated by a standard of humans each season and she ALWAYS goes well beyond that. Bringing unwanted attention into the seas and the humans speculate we are real! There is danger in her playing her little games." Bri pushed her teacup far across the counter, refusing to drink anymore. I remained still in my crouched position, fearing if I looked up I would see my swift death.

"Well... that will be addressed when we cross that current. For now, she is fine. The council hasn't summoned her yet there's no need to be angry. If you'll excuse me I'm going to make a seaweed salad for dinner. Are you joining us or not?"

"No thank you, I'm not hungry. I'll be on my way then. I'll talk to you later, mother." Bri reached for me blindly and grasped me in her hands in an awkward position. I was still crouched and pushed further into an uncomfortable ball in her hand. Bri turned to leave for the door, but before leaving right away, she turned her head to the side,

"Love you mom."

Bri's mom stopped what she was doing and stood for a moment of silence and replied, "Love you too sweetie.".

 "Tell dad I love him too and sorry for missing dinner."

 

With that Bri left without another remark from her mother. She walked briskly towards her house, shedding a tear and it rolling down her face. She looked forward trying to stay focused on getting home, her face stern with containing her emotions. I curled into a ball and sat in silence, allowing Bri to process her feelings and unresolved issues with her family. Mermaids were just like humans... they're complicated and have relationships and emotions so deep that the Mariana trench seems like a puddle. This was a topic best left undiscussed. Bri has a heart, for both humans and her family. She wants to live her life the way she wants to but it seems from every angle from her society and culture it seems it isn't that simple. Amazing the differences between mermaids and humans and yet so very similar. 

I hugged her thumb tightly, giving her some comfort if she wanted it. She opened her hand widely, allowing me to stretch my cramped and bruised legs. I swung my legs over the side of her palm and looked up at her angelic face. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying but had sincere kindness behind them.

"I'm sorry for flicking your knees. I didn't hurt you too badly did I?" She asked gently.

"I'm okay, a little bruised but nothing too serious. Can we go to the beach? It sounds like a nice spot to be, doesn't it?"

"Yes, it does." She smiled sweetly.

Her mood turned around for the better, striding with a bounce in her step. She had a small smile on her face and a sparkle in her eye every time she glanced down at me. We arrived at the beach within minutes and the same dreary gray sand was there. But this time it didn't seem as gray, there were specks of white thrown in. Bri placed me on the beach and we walked (almost) side by side. She slowed her pace for me so I could walk comfortably next to her rather than jog to keep up. The waves were breaking against the sand and the scene was picturesque. Time to be bold and make a move.

"Can I see your tail? I don't quite remember what it looks like since the first night I met you. Frankly, I don't remember much of that night either. I'm sorry if that's a weird request." I was embarrassed now and looked down at my bare feet, wiggling my toes deeper into the sand.

"Yes you can see it" She chuckled. "Let's find a nice tidepool to hang out in ok?"

I smiled harder than I should've, but I was definitely excited! We walked further down the beach and found a deep tidepool that could fit half of Bri comfortably and we settled on the spot. It was secluded beside some rocky cliffs and shoreline, away from prying eyes.

"Okay, before I show you my tail I should warn you that my true mermaid form is hypnotic. Like it's supposed to lure people to the watery death.. and places most humans under an annihilating spell of lust. I won't take advantage of you or try any tricks, but know you will feel immense emotional waves of various degrees. Mermaid tails give off a unique magic that affects all life in one way or another. For humans it's irresistible and insatiable love/lust."

"Should I do something to protect myself from doing anything dangerous or.. embarrassing?"

"Haha no, you should be fine. Okay, here goes."

Bri placed both her feet into the tidepool water, they instantly turned into a dark green and deep blue metallic color. Her feet began to merge together forming a blob for a moment and moving up her legs they were merging with each other and further up into her thighs, stopping right at the base of her nether regions. Her legs had become a colored stump of flesh. Watching closer her flesh began growing scales, sprouting all over her lower body, while what used to be her feet were turning into a makeshift fin shape. Collectively forming more sleek, sharp fins that resembled a marlin's tail fin. Where her knees would've been smaller fins formed covered in the deep sea colored metallic scales. Her waist flicked with scales as well, covering her previously exposed womanhood. And there she was in all her glory as a legitimate mermaid...

It seemed like she glowed, her body emitting a radiance that was undeniable. Her beauty multiplied by a thousand and her eyes were as striking as jewels, freshly polished. She had yet to say anything and I waited impatiently for her voice. She pointed towards her tail and held her hand out, inviting me to touch it. I stepped forward feeling me knees shake with intimidation and eagerness. My mind was flooding with so much beauty from so many aspects of her being, I began to cry. I felt the tears run down my face as I stepped closer to her. She was a goddess.. a true goddess. Before I realized it, my hand was already touching her tail and caressing the scales sensually. They weren't slimy like I was expecting. Instead they were soft with a smooth gloss that slid beneath my fingers. 

"Do you like it?" Bri asked quietly.

I gasped as I was startled at the sound of her voice. I stared at her face, looking hard to see if this was the same person as before. Was this the Bri I knew on land or someone else? Her voice rang in my head, her words were a melody of charms teasing my heart to go closer to her. I stepped closer to her body, running my hands along her tail, unblinking at her beauty. Tears filled my eyes as I was beside her waist looking up at her, staring into the divine being of a mermaid. 

"Am I going to die?" I whispered. I felt like I could have. My heart was pounding so hard and my breathing felt like it stopped. Time felt frozen and my life feel meaningless before this moment. I forgot who I was staring at this creature, I lost myself in her beauty and was willing to do ANYTHING to be with her.

"No little one, I won't let that happen" She reached her hand out and wiped a tear away from my face. "You are my pearl and I plan to keep you for a long time."

My body couldn't handle this much intensity, my mind was going blank and my vision blurred. I felt my body give way and fall into Bri. She held her hand out and caught me and I nuzzled into her warmth and tried opening my eyes to see her one last time. Her warm smile destroyed what was left of my conscious self. My eyes rolled in the back of my head and I blacked out.