- Text Size +

After several weeks of calling Millie, leaving sappy notes in her locker, and stopping by practice, Josh finally received a call.

“Come on over Josh, since I know you’re not going to give up until I give in and listen.” Millie harshly told him over the phone, “I need to leave for my soccer game at 6 o’clock, so you can stop by the house anytime before then.”

It was already 4PM and Josh was alone in a quiet house.  His parents were in Cancun for the next week leaving him alone as they typically did. As a star high school quarterback, his final season had ended over five months ago.  He found himself running and lifting weights as college quickly approached on the warmer late spring afternoons. Having just come home from a run, he darted upstairs and showered before he began the trek over to Millie’s.

It was Friday and class had been cancelled for the big girl's soccer game tonight. Josh pondered tonight's game as he walked, wondering if the competeting school even stood a chance. Having thought for so long, Josh was caught off guard when he stumbled onto Millie's driveway. Turning onto the long winding gravel road, he wondered if this was such a good idea. He absolutely loved Millie, willing to do anything for her, but the tone of her voice had sounded sadistic and cold on the phone. Given their prior history, he knew that she was capable of just about anything. She had once made a threat to one of her ex-boyfriends, in his presence, sending chills down his spine. He hadn’t seen the ex since then, so apparently it had worked.

Upon walking up to the front door, a chill hit him unexpectedly. He saw Millie’s SUV parked on the side off the house, rear door open with her soccer bag sitting in the back. She was prepping to leave for the game. He began to knock, but the front door swung open, inviting him in.

“Millie?!” Josh yelled.

“Downstairs in the basement!” she yelled back. “Come on down!”

Josh wandered through the front foyer, the living room, down the hallway, and he turned right to walk downstairs. He felt a sharp stab in the middle of his back, much like a needle. Quickly turning his 5’10: frame around, he saw Millie holding a needle-like contraption, much like a knife.

“Josh, you best sit down, right here and right now,” exclaimed Millie. “I’ve injected you with one of my father’s serums. It’s a cocktail of shrink and strength formula.”

“What the fuck!” he screamed, quickly hit with a wave of vertigo.

“Well, I knew you wouldn’t relent your harassment until I talked to you, even then I knew you wouldn’t give up,” she said. “So I’ll do the next best thing, I’ll test your loyalty, now sit down!”

Josh sat, reluctantly, remembering what she had said. “Shrinking serum, ha, that’s ridiculous.  What did you really just stab in my back?” he questioned as she stood there looking at him with an evil grin.

“Oh, I’m serious. Remember my last ex-boyfriends? They didn’t come back, and why do you think that is?”

“I don’t know,” Josh said as the vertigo became worse, “I thought they just left after you threatened them.”

Millie began to laugh. Josh then saw the seriousness in her statement. What if she had found a real shrinking serum? She wouldn’t kill him, would she?

“Well you’d do anything to have me back, wouldn’t you?” she asked.

“Yeah, just about anything.”

“That’s what they’ve all said. However, on test two, they all begged for mercy. I respected their wishes,” she said. “You must pass three tests of loyalty, and if you do, you’ll once again get to make love to me.”

Josh watched as she became bigger before his eyes, realizing he was shrinking. The linoleum floor beneath him became a vast sea of white, while the walls began to look huge.  His clothes slowly became baggy to gigantic as he hit the size of a toddler. Josh stared at Millie standing before him as he became sleepy. He quickly lost consciousness as the formula took full effect.

Hours later Josh awoke in pitch black darkness. He lay on his back naked, on a cold, smooth, and hard surface. The surface felt like porcelain. He tried to stand but still suffered from the vertigo. He felt around, able to crawl, finding only that the surface curved sharply upward in all directions. It appeared to be a porcelain bowl of some sort he was lying in. He gave up what seemed like twenty minutes later and lay there, hoping Millie would come and explain what was going on.

What seemed like hours later, Josh heard footsteps and rustling. The steps came closer and a light came on. Josh looked skyward to see a bright white circle illuminate. Within seconds, there was a thud and the white illuminated circle grew darker. Two huge objects crept in he watched in horror as light quickly began to flood in as a huge lid was lifted.