- Text Size +

Arthur remained in the room for a few minutes, thinking about his options. He decided to look out the window. What was stopping him from just opening it and running? Never coming back? But the window was locked. Try as he might, he could not open it.

Outside the room was a new pair of pants and a freshly pressed shirt waiting for him on a hanger just outside the door. Arthur took them and looked them over. They had been custom fitted to accommodate his smaller size. Arthur headed to the washroom. Inside, he changed into his new clothes. There was no measuring tape, so he’d just have to guess how tall he currently was.

He wanted to stay inside the washroom. Just sit there and be forgotten.

After a long time someone knocked on the door.

“Mr. Spence? It’s been over two hours. Are you okay in there?”

Arthur was surprised it had been so long since he’d entered the bathroom.

He turned the handle, unlocking it. Most of the lights in the house had been turned off. Beth stood just outside the door, already in her pajamas.

Arthur had to admit, she looked attractive.

“So everything’s okay?” she asked.

Arthur nodded.

“Here’s your pajamas,” she said, holding him out a hanger.

Arthur took them, avoiding her eyes for fear of realizing how tall she was next to him. He feared that he’d become smaller. So instead, he looked to the ground, where he ended up staring at her bare feet.

“Beth, your mom said something about tomorrow?”

“Yes, tomorrow…you need a good nights sleep”

”For what exactly? What do you have in store for me?”

Beth continued looking at him, hoping that he’d engage in eye contact, but he didn’t. He continued looking at the floor and at her bare feet. He noticed her toenails had been painted, but that the paint had begun to chip away.

“Don’t put it like that, she said, It’s not like I’ll be planning your whole life or anything”

“But it is, isn’t it? It’s not like a have a choice to go home to my family, is it?”

Beth didn’t answer. Arthur continued to stare at the floor. Beth’s toes fidgeted a bit.

“Well, she said, just make sure you’re well rested, okay?”

“But what for? You still haven’t told me what’s going on?”

“College, she said, You’re going to keep teaching”

This was enough for Arthur to look up at her. Doing so confirmed that he was indeed smaller than before. Beth, this slight, modestly framed young woman was beginning to loom over him like some sort of Olympic basketball player. Arthur’s first reaction was shock. Beth felt this too. She felt awkward at how large she seemed next to him.

“I’m what?”

“I think it’s for the best”, she said, trying to look sure of herself,

“you won’t think about what’s happening you as much if you go about your daily routine. Just like you use to”

Arthur swallowed. He wanted to argue with her. To belittle her. But what was the point? He closed the door in her face.

When Arthur woke he experienced a moment of disorientation as he tried to remember where he was. The few nights pulled from his family only to first be locked in an office at the college and then to end up here in one of Beth’s families spare rooms…it was enough to fog up his memory a bit. But it only took him a few seconds to remind himself as he quickly noted his somewhat baggy pajamas. He’d shrunk again. Arthur sat up to feel his back coated with cold sweat.

He stood and peeked out from the bedroom door. Beth could be seen in the kitchen, smiling at him. She was already dressed and looking ready to go at any time.

“Better hurry, Mr. Spence, we have to leave in ten minutes or so. The car’s waiting already”

Arthur stepped one foot out from the door, seeing a new set of clothes hanging on the door. He didn’t know who provided these clothes or how they kept appearing, but he was grateful that they did. Arthur snatched the hanger of clothing and quickly darted to the washroom. He heard a quiet snicker from the kitchen as he closed the door.

Inside, Arthur first grim revelation was that he could no longer properly see himself in the mirror. Even standing on his toes only allowed him to see the tip of his head. Arthur cursed and slammed his fist into the wall.

Was he angry or frightened? A bit of both, he thought.

Beth’s voice could be heard from the other side of the door.

“There’s a stool for you to stand on, Mr. Spence. It’s under the sink”

Arthur looked down. Yes, there was a stool. Rather than shout back at her, he climbed on the stool and was able to look at himself. He didn’t know how much his size had diminished, but looking at his reflection in proportion to the size of the mirror told him all he needed to know.

“There’s breakfast out here” she said from the other side of the door.

“Okay! Now can you give me a second???”

“Sorry” Beth said.

Arthur brushed his teeth and changed into his new clothes before exiting the bathroom and heading towards the kitchen. His new clothes fit perfectly and for a few steps he felt like a regular, full sized guy. But when he rounded the corner and saw Beth; her smiling face somehow exaggerated by her elevated size, his heart sank.

“Did I hear you laughing at me earlier? When I went into the bathroom?”

Beth’s smile faded. “Yes, I’m sorry, it’s just that…well, it’s so weird seeing you like this. It’s like you’re a special effect or something. I know that sounds dumb”

Beth stood from her chair. She seemed taller than the night before. She began walking towards him.

“Don’t come any closer” Arthur said.

Beth stopped.

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t want you looking down on me”

“That could be kind of tough, Mr. Spence. You’re pretty short. Four seven by the looks of it”

“How would you know that?” Arthur asked.

“Your new clothes seem to fit and that’s the size they were cut to”

She looked him up and down then laughed nervously. It was the sort of laugh when you can’t help it even though you know it’s not appropriate.

“I’m sorry, but you’re just so…small”

* * *

The car ride was a scary one. Arthur felt as though he was being driven to his own execution. Being four foot seven and having to walk the halls of the campus would be absolutely horrifying.

He could feel himself sweating. Every time the car pulled to a stop for a red light, he envisioned himself unlocking the door and sprinting into the distance, never to be seen again…