- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Going Above And Beyond For A Project May Have Its Consequences...


 Instant Size Change, Unaware,

It was the final day for Eric's college science project to be completed. The topic was about microbes and how they interact. Most students have gone the easy route and used microscopes, just to scribble down notes that have been noted a thousand times over. Eric decided to go further and over achieve to get a good grade. 


The moon was high and bright when Eric prepared himself for his project. On his desk was a petri dish, and in the center was a tiny piece food that he took from his mother's fork. The desk lamp was aimed directly at the dish, brightly illuminating everything. Eric figured that after an hour of the food being placed under the light that the conditions would be perfect. 


With his shrink ray in hand, along with his satchel containing his camera and notebook, Eric was ready to get up close and personal with the microbes. Standing on his chair, he shrank himself down to two feet tall. The world expanding around him no longer phased him as he has shrank himself plenty of times before, however this will be the first time he has gone to such an extreme. Climbing up onto his desk, he approached the petri dish. It was as high as his ankles, but was soon about to get higher. Shrinking down to two inches, the round wall of the dish now up to his knees. Stepping over onto the light green surface, he steps closer to the glob of food and shrinks down rapidly. In no time the tiny glob of food that nearly was ingested by his mom grew in size until it made mountains look puny in comparison. The view of his gargantuan room disappeared behind a thick white haze that took over the atmosphere with the lamp acting as the sun. With the odd looking green ground, it was like Eric found himself on a weird alien planet, and just ahead of him were the planet's inhabitants.


Slithering all over the moist mountain made of egg yolk, hundreds, if not thousands of weird globs of bacteria roamed everywhere. Eric was in awe as the hulking beasts meandered everywhere. He could hear weird groaning coming from the bacteria among the moist slicky noises as they move. Putting down his satchel, he swaps out his shrink ray for the camera and begins to take photos and videos. He was technically hundreds of feet away from any bacteria, but still had an amazing view. He began writing down notes about the behavior of the germs, and what the landscape was roamed on was like.


---


Kristy procrastinated her science project. Her brother Eric was always more on the ball than she was, so since she managed to share a couple classes with her brother, she normally copied his notes and managed to get by. Tonight was no different. Getting back home late, she sauntered off to her brother's bedroom. Slowly opening the door, she immediately noticed a lone petri dish under a lamp. Walking over to it, she noticed a tiny lump of moist food resting in the center. Looking around while pushing her long brunette hair from her face, she noticed no sign of her brother. Returning her attention to the petri dish, she smirked. 


"Guess I can just take this for my project then."


Grabbing the container and hurriedly raced back to her room, she sat down the dish on her own desk and pulled out her microscope. Placing the scope directly over the lump of food, she put her eye to the eyepiece and began adjusting the sight. After a moment she got a clear sight of all the bacteria roaming all over. She let out a sigh.


"Hmm... This looks boring. What if..?"


An idea came to her. With another smirk, she pursed her lips and spit out her gum into the petri dish, completely crushing the lump of food under its weight. The spit coating the gum splashed everywhere.


"There, that ought to make things more interesting."


---


Eric was entirely engrossed in his findings. He scratched away at his notebook, making endless notes all the while his camera is recording the sight. He was so preoccupied that he never noticed the tremors that changed the bacteria's behavior. The only thing that snapped him out of his trance was an ear splitting thunder booming from the heavens. He dropped his notebook as he went to cover his ears as the booming continued to echo. 


"W-What the hell what that?" he exclaimed. 


The suddenly it felt as if the entire earth lurched, throwing Eric to the ground and flinging his belonging everywhere. The "sun" disappeared as the unstableness continued, continuously throwing Eric around like a ragdoll. All the germs on the other hand were thoroughly attached to their meal, and Eric was about to get a closer look than he bargained for.


His tiny body flung towards the mountain of food still saturated in his mom's saliva and plowed into the side. Thick grime coated him from head to toe, practically blending him into his surroundings. However he did not want to remain there as several germs began to close in on his location. Breaking himself free from the moist, disgusting surface, another seismic shift launched him away from the danger. 


Landing back down roughly, he grabbed a loose bit of the ground, holding on for dear life as the world shifted harshly back and forth. It felt like an eternity until it felt as if everything dropped and landed with a crash. With everything becoming calm, he just lied there as he began to feel all the aches and pains from the last minute of craziness. He couldn't even process what exactly happened, but something in the back of his mind was screaming for him to get up and find the shrink ray. Lifting his head up, he groggily scanned the landscape for any of his belongings, but something else caught his attention.


There was a giant eye in the sky!


Eric's jaw dropped in astonishment as the massive pupil began scanning the surface. He gulped as he began to piece things together. The disappearance of his lamp, the near death  cataclysm; his sister must've swiped his petri dish! It only makes sense considering they are taking the same science class. Knowing his shrink ray in completely MIA, he got to his feet and began running towards the center, screaming and waving his arms. After his sister's massive eye blinked a few times, it disappeared. 


"Damn it!" Eric yelled. Dread began to well in his body as it seems the only way for his size to be restored is his lazy sister to notice him, unless he can find shrink ray in the many square miles of this dish. 


Then a familiar thunderous boom cracked across the atmosphere, throwing Eric back down to his knees as he covered his ears. Then what followed was a rumbling in the sky that terrified him. A world ending sized pink asteroid was plummeting down directly over the food. It was like watching in slow motion as Eric got back to his feet once again and began running in the opposite direction. He could only assume it was Kristy's gum as there are signs of teeth marks and the thick coat of saliva all over it. 


It began to crush the mountain of food under it's immense weight and size as even Eric found himself under its shadow. A thick wave of spit and germs began to splurge out as the bubblegum displaced it all. Eric had no chance of outrunning it as it reached him in no time. The wave completely overtook him and submerged him deep in the mess.


---


Kristy got up early in the morning, which was a rarity for her. She was excited because she noticed a new type of microbe in the petri dish she swiped from her brother. After making sure she prettied herself up, she made her way to her college, though she wondered where Eric was. Maybe he was upset his project is gone and off somewhere venting.


Getting to her science class early, she walked up to her professor, Ms. Quinn. The forty year old woman was surprised to see Kristy show up early. Brushing her black hair to her side, she smiled. "Good morning Kristy. What brings you in so early?"


"I think I discovered a new type of germ!" she said enthusiastically. 


"Oh?" Ms. Quinn exclaimed as Kristy handed over the petri dish. "Let me take a look," she said as she took it. Walking over to her microscope as she held the dish close to her open low-cut blouse that showed off her assets. Placing it under the scope, she peered into the eyepiece and began adjusting the sight. As she took a closer look, she noticed an anomaly in the midst of common germs. It had a humanoid-ish form with a grimy, crusty outward appearance. 


"Woah! This is astounding Kristy!" Kristy beamed at the praise for her accomplishment. "I need to extract that germ and-"


At that moment, the new "germ" was caught by a giant glob and swallowed deep inside. In a mere moment, the germ disintegrated inside the glob. 


"Oh... Damn it. It got destroyed."


"What? It did?"


"Don't worry Kristy. You'll get an A plus. Just a shame we couldn't record the findings more thoroughly."