- Text Size +

Anthony was born into a doomed world.

Decades before he was born two… titans opened a portal onto the Earth. It is said they stomped around the Earth, crushing hundreds of thousands, millions, only to leave after a few days. Vanishing through a portal, the same way they came.

But what doomed the world was what they left behind. From their stomping grounds emerged enormous creatures, nearly fifty meters long and more heavily armored than any of humanity's engines of war. The “tankbugs” as humanity came to call them swept over the world. Using the fauna of the Earth, humans included, to thrive and prosper. Most of humanity was devoured by armored monstrosities from another world within a few years.

Or so Anthony had been told. He had seen them, sure, he worked in the Chicago bunker’s surveillance center. From his post nearly half a mile underground he could see the tankbugs wandering the destroyed cityscape. The bunker project was humanity’s last ditch effort at survival. Only eleven were completed and all but three were gone within a decade, most eventually fell to mechanical failures, rebellions, or burrowing tankbugs if a bunker wasn’t built deep enough. The Dublin bunker fell apart from a revolt that damaged the systems beyond repair nine years prior, and a fault in the Xi’an bunker’s air supply led to their mass suffocation a few years ago. As far as he knew, this was the last vestige of humanity. His bunker of a few thousand, so he kept watch to make sure they would at least see their end coming.

And what an end it would be.

Just like in the stories he had heard all his life, a portal miles tall opened on the south side of Chicago. From it emerged two titanic creatures in the shape of women. A taller brunette and a slightly shorter one with blonde hair. He hit the alarm immediately, the bunker went into lockdown, and Anthony prayed to… something, anything, that this visit from another world wouldn’t destroy what was left of humanity.

He watched the creatures, enormous monsters, poke and prod their way around Chicago. One squatted and picked up… a tankbug, and called the other over to her, both of them squatting with their backs facing him, all he could see from his low perspective were two enormous backsides.

Booming reverberations echoed through the bunker as their footballs struck the Earth, but other more varied vibrations hummed through the Earth’s crust and Anthony realized that it was their speech. It was utterly incomprehensible to him, but it caused the taller one to go on a spree of destruction. She rose up to her full height, headed for downtown, and flattened what was left of Chicago before tripping and beginning to fall. Anthony watched it happen as if in slow motion. He braced right before the thing’s mountain sized ass connected with the ground.

The world shook in a way Anthony had never before experienced, the electricity went out and his cameras went dead. This was it. Without power their ventilation would break down, he would suffocate in this tomb, along with the rest of humanity.

But before that he would have to survive the damned titans stomping, it was booming, all encompassing, getting stronger… he realized too late that something more immediate than suffocation was going to happen to his home.

With horrific noise and shaking he realized that they must be… digging the bunker out. He had no time to imagine for what purpose, as the bunker began to rise the acceleration and g-forces caused him to black out.

After the acceleration, few in the bunker were conscious, and none had any way to see their home being carried through the rift the aliens had come through; as their transit was completed and the rift blipped out of existence, the Earth became devoid of human life.