- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
WOMEN'S WING, FEDERAL PENITENTIARY
ATLANTA, GEORGIA (JAN. 1, 1992)
* * * * * *

She was listed in the files, in the warden's office, as "Jane Doe."

None of her fellow female inmates knew her name, of course. Some of the younger ones had never even seen her, as she had spent almost thirty years in solitary confinement! This, of course, made her the subject of many rumors. The most popular one being that she was one of the three male convicts who had escaped from Alcatraz Island, in June of 1962. And that--in a bid to insure "he" was never recaptured and returned to the Rock--"he" had been smuggled to Sweden, where she had undergone...

...a "Jorgenectomy!!"

In any event, Jane Doe knew none of this. Because she had lost all track of time. Even her meals--bread and water, three times a day--had never varied. Then, today, everything changed. Her cell door was unlocked. Following which, she had been escorted to the warden's office by a pair of heavily armed guards. There, she encountered the one thing she had never been allowed before: a visitor. And, not just any visitor. But, a U.S. Army officer!

One with three stars on each of his shoulder decorations.

"Hello, Frau Hertzmann," said the officer: "My name is Lieutenant General Robert Howard Phillips. And, I'm here to tell you that...the Cold War is over. Therefore, so is your imprisonment."

That last sentence took a full minute to register. And, when it did, the general nodded in clarification at the ensuing look of astonishment on her face.

"West and East Germany reunified on October 3, 1990 (over twelve months ago). This past summer, the Warsaw Pact was dissolved. And, as of December 27, last week? So has the Soviet Union."

What this American imperialist was saying could not be true! Yet, something deep down told her he was not lying. Consequently, she felt her knees buckle beneath her. Prompting the general to order the guards to catch her, and for the warden to bring out some smelling salts. By the time she had regained a clear head, the general and she were alone in the warden's office.

"I know it's a lot to take in, Frau Hertzmann, considering how long you were in isolation. But,..."

"But, if what you say is true," she interrupted: "...then I have no home to return to. Prior to being captured by your countrymen, the closest thing I had to a home was a cryogenics laboratory in East Berlin!"

Phillips nodded: "We anticipated that. That's why we've arranged for new accomodations. Ones more comfortable than anything you've previously known."

"By 'we,' you mean the Amerikaner government?"

Phillips smiled and shook his head.

"Nein! I'm referring to what you might call...a much higher authority."

Ten minutes later, she and Phillips were walking out the front gate. One hour after that, the two of them were aboard a Grumman Gulfstream II jet, heading due west.

"Where are we bound, Herr General?" demanded Gertruda Hertzmann.

"Have you ever heard of a town called...Rachel, Nevada?"

She shook her head. This prompted Phillips to grin most mysteriously.

"There's someone there who'd like to meet you. Someone who's an expert at size-alteration. And, what he can do to restore _your_ ability to do so can only be described as...out of this world."



THE END?
Chapter End Notes:
*Jorgenectomy: my own private term for the sex-change operation undergone by Christine (nee George) Jorgensen, in 1952-53.