- Text Size +

Chiara walked out of the optometrist's shop with a grin on her face. "Your glasses will be ready by tomorrow!"

"And they'll grow with me?"

Chiara nodded. "They're gonna be made of some unusual materials, but they can do it!"

"Wow," I breathed. "Thank you so much. How much is this costing?"

Chiara chuckled, and her hair and eyes started to glow. "It's free. I lit up and told her to get it done or I'd level the entire neighborhood."

I laughed. "Good one, Chiara. How much is it actually costing?"

Chiara cocked her head. "What do you mean?"

It hit me. "Wait, that wasn't a joke? You actually said that to her?"

"Well, yeah," Chiara replied, sounding confused. "Isn't that the most efficient way to get things from humans?"

I gasped. "Chiara, you can't just threaten people like that! Is that how you got my new clothes, too?"

"Look, I don't have any money, okay?" Chiara shot back.

"Okay, this is clearly extremely unethical. And won't it blow our cover? I thought we were trying to be inconspicuous here!"

"What does it matter if the humans figure out who we are?" Chiara asked. "It's not like they can do anything to us."

I sighed. "Come on, let's head to the bank—I'll take out some money and pay back all the people you threatened."

"You have money?"

I blushed. "I, um, actually got the silver medal in sport climbing at the Nairobi Olympics. Athletes don't get paid as much as one might think, but I've got more than enough to get by."

"Wait, you're an athlete?" Chiara asked, sounding surprised. "I'd never have guessed."

"You never asked," I pointed out.

"Well, I suppose it makes sense—I'd imagine being a giant makes you quite strong, even at human size."

That slightly irked me. "I like to think I got there because of how devoted I was to honing my skill."

Chiara shrugged, not seeming to notice the offence I'd taken. "Well, if this is how you want to spend your money, don't let me stop you."

As we headed onwards, I realized how odd it was to be back in Lucerne after everything that had happened. We walked past the ice cream shop where I'd met Étienne, the gym where I'd trained, the bridge where I'd first seen Chiara. I wondered whether she remembered that night.

And soon, I'd paid back two terrified shopkeepers, and Chiara and I were standing outside the ice skating rink.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

"You need to improve your balance," Chiara explained. "Ice skating at human size requires similar coordination to walking at full size. So let's practice."

"I'm not sure I'm comfortable learning to skate while I still don't have glasses," I admitted.

Chiara grabbed my arm and pulled me into the building. "Come on, don't be a wimp. And if you fall, I'll catch you!"

And she was true to her word—when I fell seconds after stepping onto the rink, I landed in her arms. She gently and effortlessly lifted me back up, and held one arm around me as I tentatively took my first steps forwards.

"See, you're trying to move like a human," Chiara commented as I fell again and she caught me by my shirt. "You're thinking of the ice as an obstacle to get past. But it's actually an advantage—you're fast, you're graceful, you're superior. Use that and you'll be capable of things you never could do off of the ice." Letting go of me, she skated several quick circles around me, leapt into the air, twirled, and landed gracefully, sliding backwards around to support me again.

And I practiced. While I'd never skated before, I was certainly no stranger to training, and Chiara seemed pleased by my progress.

And then another skater joined us. She looked familiar—brown skin, a yellow shirt, dark hair with golden tips—but without my glasses I couldn't place her. Chiara seemed to recognize her, though—she drew back and her eyes narrowed.

"It appears you've made a friend, Chiara!" the newcomer sang out—and while I couldn't place her appearance, I instantly recognized Akita's voice. "I'm impressed; I had no idea you were capable of such a thing."

"Oh, you have no idea what I'm capable of," Chiara growled back. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, when somebody starts going around threatening people, it tends to draw attention," Akita explained.

I leaned over to Chiara. "See, I told you that was a bad idea!" I whispered.

"And I'm disappointed in you, Evanna," Akita chimed, turning to me. "I expected better of you than to associate with her."

"Well, it's her choice to make!" Chiara snapped. "Not yours. So either fight us or leave us alone!"

Akita was silent for a moment, as if lost in thought. "I'd only prepared to fight one giant today," she admitted. "If I attacked both of you at once I'd lose."

Chiara smirked. "Then you'd best leave us alone."

Akita nodded, spreading her wings. She then paused, taking one last glance at me. "Say hi to Étienne from me!" she intoned before leaping into the sky.

To Étienne?

"Hello, Evanna."

I whirled around at the sound of Étienne's voice. He was standing behind me on the ice, in shoes rather than skates.

"And who are you?" Chiara demanded.

Étienne ignored Chiara, looking directly at me. "That winged lady filled me in on what happened," he explained, "and personally I'm thrilled. Dating a giant is so much more impressive than dating an athlete."

"I'm glad you think so," I replied.

"So come along, then!" Étienne directed. "I've got three magazines waiting to do profiles on us."

I nodded, taking Étienne's hand. "I guess I'll see you later, Chiara," I sighed.

And Chiara skated between us, pulling our hands apart. "No!" she shouted.

I looked at her with bewilderment; Étienne looked at her with anger.

"She's not going with you," Chiara declared, facing Étienne. "She doesn't want to and you can't make her."

Étienne laughed. "And why exactly should we listen to you?"

"He knows what's best for me," I added.

"No he doesn't!" Chiara shouted. "He knows what's best for himself, and he tells you that's what's best for you too. And you don't have to put up with this anymore." Chiara skated up to Étienne, grabbed him by the throat, and lifted him into the air. "Go ahead, tell her the truth."

"The truth?" Étienne choked out.

"Say it now or I'll grow and flatten you," Chiara snarled.

"Okay!" Étienne gagged. "I saw Evanna as a trophy girlfriend. I wasn't ever trying to help her with her life. I admit it, now please let me go!"

Chiara released Étienne, and he fell, coughing, onto the ice.

"You should run away now," Chiara said coldly. "If I ever see you around her again I'll rip you in half."

Étienne didn't need any more convincing—he ran for it, slipping on the ice halfway to the exit.

Chiara turned to me and smiled. "That takes care of him. Now come on, let's skate."