- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A collab with my friend Scrungee! I wrote a story based on his original characters/story "Shrunk n' Flunk", and he drew some important moments from the story! We've been working on this for a long time, and we hope you guys enjoy it as much as we did making it!

Charles was fidgeting like how a cartoon character would shiver in the cold. That is to say- a lot. He’d been anxious to meet with the school counselor, Eve. Not because she scared him, per se (although she was very intimidating). He was moreso nervous to ask her a very important question. Ever since the two had met, the two took quite a shine to each other (Charles even got Eve’s exclusive “immersion therapy”- or, as many people would describe it, getting put in Eve’s flip-flops for the day).


He slowly stepped into the counselor’s office, where Eve was sitting at her desk, playing solitaire on her computer instead of doing work. Charles slowly stepped towards the towering redhead. He cleared his throat with a small “ahem”. Eve didn’t take her eyes off the screen. “Ahem!” Charles cleared his throat, increasing the volume. Eve just yawned and played another card. “AHEM!!” He bellowed, finally getting her attention. 


“Oh, hey Charles. Something wrong? Come for some more ‘immersion therapy’?” Eve said, leaning forward and looming over the miniscule flunkie on the floor with nothing but her face. “N-No, I, uhh…” Charles stuttered, as he always did around Eve. “You what? Are you saying something? ‘Cus I can’t hear it.” Eve said, moving closer and cupping her hand to her ear. “Y-Yeah, I wanted to, um, ask you something…” “Well, I’m all ears!” Eve said, chuckling to herself and bringing her ear closer. Charles’ stomach sank; “This is the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever done in my entire life.” He thought to himself.


“I was wondering, if, um… if you’d like to-” “If I what?” “I-If you’d, um, want to…” “If I what?! If I want to go on a date? What? C’mon, say it!” Eve said, accidentally saying exactly what Charles was going for. “Actually, uh… yeah. Did… did you want to go on a date…?” “Oh.” Eve said, leaning back in her chair. “Is… is that a no? I-I’m sorry I asked-” “Woah, woah, woah, I never said that! I was just surprised I actually got it right.” “So… Do you, or…?” “Of course I do!” Eve exclaimed. “About time…” She muttered under her breath. “What?” “Nothing!”


“So; when and where?” “Um, I was thinking… tonight? At Mac Fancy’s?” “Mac Fancy’s? That restaurant that opened up a couple months ago? I heard it was crazy expensive.” “That’s what I thought, too- but apparently, they’re exactly like McDonald’s, just, like, slightly more pricey. And, y’know, actually decent food.” “Huh. Go figure. Well, what time did you wanna meet?” “Does 8 o’clock work?” “Yep! Sounds good! I’ll see you then.” “Great! I’ll, uh, see you there!” Charles said. He was honestly surprised by how well that went. He strode towards the tiny entrance of the door…


“Hey, Eve, you almost done here?” Lia said as she opened the door, unwittingly having stepped on Charles. “Hey, uhh, Lia?” “What?” “You kind of, uh… well, look under your foot.” Eve explained. Lia looked at her, confused, before raising her bare foot (all staff members were allowed to be barefoot within staff rooms, and they’d often take their shoes off before entering, as Lia just had). “Oh. Hey, Charles.” She said. “Hi.” He muttered, before Lia put her foot back down. “So, you all done here?” “Yup! Oh, and I’ve got great news!” “You can finally shrink people?” “Ha, ha, very funny, but no. Guess again.” “Your mom’s been shrunken and confiscated by Carmen?” “No, but in terms of things that would be good for me, it’s about equal.” “So? What is it?” “I’m going… on a date!” Eve exclaimed. “Seriously?! With who?”


Meanwhile, beneath Lia’s hefty sole, Charles was lamenting Lia’s poor timing. “Hey, Charles.” A familiar voice greeted him. “Beth? You’re here too?” “Mmhm.” “Wow. I’m shocked.” “Spare me that sarcastic shit. What were you even doing here?” “Remember that ‘big plan’ I told you about?” “You mean that one?” “Yeah, that one.” “So, you finally decided to grow a pair and ask, eh?” “Well, when you describe it like that, you make it sound like I was scared to ask!” “That’s ‘cus you were scared to ask, dumbass!” “No I wasn’t! I just… needed time to think of what to say! I didn’t want to ruin our relationship!” “That’s called being scared, dumbass!” “Oh, would you shut up!” “Fine, but don’t come crying to me when Eve just makes you into her personal foot toy for the umpteenth time this week!” “I-It doesn’t happen that often!”


The two flunkies were arguing so fervently, they hadn’t noticed that Lia and Eve were staring at the two, bewildered. “Are… are they talking?” Lia questioned. “I wonder what they’re talking about…” “Well, keep wondering.” Lia said, peeling Charles off and dispensing him on the floor. “Anyways, I’m heading outta here. Have fun with your little date, I guess.” “I will. Later!” With all their goodbyes said, the four of them all went their separate ways. Lia (and Beth) drove back home.

………………


Lia trudged inside with her characteristic tiredness. “Yo. I’m back.” “Welcome back, mija. Have you still got that naughty little flunk plastered to your sole?” Lia’s mother, Carmen, asked. “Yep, as if you have to ask.” “Hey, I’m not naug-” “Can it, pipsqueak. So, what’s with the getup?” Lia said, tossing her bag on the couch and crashing down onto it, kicking her feet on the table. “Me and Lionel were planning on having a nice dinner together.” “Ah. Cool.”


“Heh. Least someone’s getting some action…” Beth scoffed. “You say something, pipsqueak?” Lia responded. “C’mon. You can tell me, girl to girl. You’re jealous of Eve, aren’t you?” “Huh? Jealous?” “Yup. She’s out getting ready for a night on the town with her new boytoy while you’re stuck here with little ol’ me.” Beth explained, ushering to herself. “Beth, what the hell are you talking about?” “Don’t try and tell me you’re not at least a little bit jealous of Eve.” “No, I’m not. You’re reading way too deep into it.” “Yuh-huh. Suuuure.” “Seriously, I’m not. Drop it.” “Yeah, I’ll bet you’re not.” “Alright, shrimp. Why would I be jealous of Eve then, huh? Explain that.” “‘Cus she’s better at getting boyfriends than you.”


Lia brought her foot up to her face, fury written across her features; Beth had touched a nerve. “Listen up, you little shit! I can get a boyfriend whenever I damn well please! I don’t care if Eve accepts that hopeless flunky’s lame-ass invitation!” “Which flunky?” “Charles, who else?!” Lia blurted, before realizing what she’d just said. She turned around to see Carmen, her face painted with anger. “Uhhh… how much of that did you…?” “All of it. Now where exactly are those two going?” “Nowhere!” Lia exclaimed. “I see. In that case…” Carmen snapped her fingers. In an instant, Lia dwindled in size along with Beth, who had gotten even smaller. Lia, pulled herself up, looking up past the couch to see Carmen looming over her. “Let’s try that again, shall we?”

………………………..


Eve arrived at McFancy’s, dressed to the nines in a long black dress. She strode through the revolving glass door into the nowhere-near-as-gaudy-as-she-thought restaurant. “Uhh, hi, I’m here for someone? He told me he had a reservation?” “Name?” “Eve.” “Ah, you’re Monsieur Charles’ guest. Right this way…” The receptionist said (with a rather bad French accent, one might add). Eve was escorted to a window side table, where a small man sitting at a smaller table waited for her.


“You made it!” “Yup! Wouldn’t miss this for the world.” Eve said, sliding into her chair. The two sat there in awkward silence for a countless amount of minutes. Charles cleared his throat while Eve looked around, almost as if she was waiting for the conversation to start. “So, um…” “Good evening, madam, monsieur. Can I offer you something to drink?” “Oh! Just water for me.” “Water for me too.” “Excellent, excellent. I’ll be right back.” The waiter said, striding away. “OK, well, with that done, um, how’re-” “I told you I would be right back! Here’s your water, and here’s some menus. I’ll give you some time to think.” The waiter said, waltzing back in and placing the beverages on the table. “Oh, uh, thanks…”


“This isn’t going well…” Charles thought to himself. “I keep getting interrupted by things… Come on, Charles, say something! Make her feel special!” Charles cleared his throat, before turning his attention to the enormous counselor. “So, uh, Eve… how’ve you been?” “I’ve been good. Certainly been better, but overall, I’m good. You’ve certainly been worse for wear, especially since Lia and I keep stepping on you all the time~.” “Wha-?! I don’t get stepped on that much… do I?” “Hmm… nah, I’d say you’re under a foot, like, 70% of the time. And 50% of the time that foot belongs to yours truly~” “I, uh… I… guess you’re kind of right…” “I should change the subject before that goes up to 51%...” “Your mom didn’t bother you or anything, right? I’ve heard from Lia that she gives you a hard time.” “Nah, I don’t think she really cared. At least, I don’t think she would if I told her.” “Well, that’s good… you didn’t tell her though, right?” “Nope! I didn’t tell anybody about this. Figured it’d be better as our little secret~” “Well, I must say, it was quite well kept, Ms. Eve.” “Oh! Thank y-” Eve paused and looked at who she was actually talking to.


Carmen glared at the two of them, hands defiantly on her hips. “Ms. Eve. Mr. Charles. I believe it’s quite clear in the school handbook that relationships between faculty and flunky are absolutely not permitted!” “H-H-W-Wait a minute! This wasn’t my idea! It was Charles!” “Wha-?! Don’t throw me under the bus! And you were the one who agreed to it!” “I don’t care whose idea it was. Nor do I care who agreed to what. The point is that you’re here now, and that this type of meeting, this type of relationship… is restricted.” “But, Mrs. Car-” Eve was interrupted by Carmen snapping her fingers, instantly shrinking her down to miniscule size. The now enormous principal scooped up what were soon to be her victims.


“Oh, man, c’mon!” Eve whined. “Hey, why’re you whining?! You just tried to pin this whole thing on me!” “Well, it technically was you!” “Will you two be quiet?” Carmen’s voice easily boomed over the diminished pair. “Both of you broke the rules. So both of you will face punishment…” Carmen threatened, leaning down and removing her footwear: a clear, open-toed flip-flop. “I think one week smothered under my foot will set the two of you straight. In you go.” She said, carelessly dropping them into the sole of the flip-flop, slipping it on, grinding it around to get it nice and comfortable. As she did, she got a text on her phone from her husband, Lionel; “Carmen, honey, let them go. We were young and in love once, too.” She texted back, “I know, but it’s still my policy. Someone has to teach them how to obey the rules.”


“Uh… Ma’am, is everything…?” One of the employees snapped her out of her argument with her husband. “Oh, you needn’t worry, random employee. Just dealing with some… business affairs, I suppose you could say. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to wait for my valet…” Carmen said, strolling off towards the door, smashing her two passengers beneath her sole. “I can’t believe- This is- happening to me!” Eve bemoaned. “I can’t- believe it- either!” Charles moaned along with her. “This is all- your fault!” “My fault?! How could- I have- Possibly known- That she’d- show up?!” The two argued as Carmen trudged to the bench outside. As Carmen slumped down on the bench, both Charles and Eve sighed a bit, looking out at the world beyond.


“Look,” Charles started, “I didn’t know this would happen. I didn’t mean for this to happen, either. I just wanted this to be a nice, quiet date, just the two of us. I guess that whole ‘best laid plans of mice and men’ saying really is true, huh?” He said, sighing to himself. “Anyways, yeah… sorry.” He apologized. Eve didn’t say anything. She just looked out at the view from Carmen’s bobbing foot. “Hey… you know, this isn’t the worst date I’ve ever been on.” Eve consoled. “...Really?” “Mmhm! And look on the bright side: we’ve got this amazing view.” Eve said, ushering his attention to the glittering city skyline beyond them. “Whoa…” “Pretty good, huh?” “Y’know, now that I think about it… we are both alone.” “And it’s pretty quiet out.” “Huh. Maybe this date wasn’t so bad after a-” “Ugh, finally. Damn valet takes forever these days.” Carmen interrupted the two’s revelry, slamming her foot on the ground and climbing back into her car.


This was going to be a long week…


THE END