- Text Size +

Kyle drove through Eisner City’s suburban subdivision. He turned to Sandra who was now wearing his football uniform which made her look simultaneously silly and sexy. “Ok” he said “Which is your house again?”

“That one” said Sandra. She pointed to a red and yellow two floor home that had a red Volkswagen in the driveway.

He pulled up in front of the house and stopped the car. The two of them got out of the car and walked up to the front door.

“Dad’s going flip out on me for this” she said.

Kyle said nothing. If his girlfriend had the kind of powers she possessed what would her Father have?

 

Sandra knocked on the door and it immediately opened and standing in the doorway was nearly six foot tall middle age man with a receding hairline. The man had brown eyes and was wearing a tweed business suit that he looked uncomfortable in. They could hear the TV in the living room talk about the incident.

 

“Hi dad” Sandra said nervously. Her father stepped back and let them both in and then closed the door behind them.

“Look dad” she began “I know I shouldn’t have done what “

“Honey” Her father interrupted “First off, I’m not mad at you. In fact I’m proud of you for what you did.”

“You are?” Sandra asked.

“I am” he replied “I’m just a little worried if you pursue being a superhero you might get into a situation worse than wha”

“Dad” Sandra interrupted “I’m not going to become a superhero. It was just freak event and I’m sure everyone will forget about it. They’re other heroes people will talk about right?”

“I doubt it” her Father replied. He guided the two of them into the living room. CNN was on and they were talking nonstop about what happened.  He pointed to a caption beneath the headline that said “no fatalities reported.” This realization hit Sandra like a ton of bricks.

 

“Actually I'll think this whole ‘becoming a superhero’ thing a bit more dad” said Sandra.

“Could someone tell me what’s going on?” Kyle asked.

“Don’t you get it?” Sandra asked “It’s been years since a superhero actually caught criminals instead of killing them. They’re really eating this up.”

“Does this mean the date is off?”

“No” replied Sandra “it means I need to put together a little disguise. Dad can I borrow your old reading glasses?”

“My what?” he asked.

“Thanks dad” she chirped and she rushed up stairs. 

Kyle and Sandra’s father looked at each other.

“So Mr. Sellick” began Kyle.

“Please, call me Robert.”

“Ok, Robert” said Kyle, but before he could continue, the TV interrupted him.

“Coming up next, Lou Dobbs on superheroes and illegal immigrants” and with that Robert turned off the TV.

“So, Robert what can you do? Can you make peoples heads explode or something?”

“Why are asking me this?”

“Her powers must have come from some where right?”

“They came from her mother” replied Robert. “I’m not sure if I contributed anything power wise to her”

“So what can you do?”

“This” said Robert. He waved his hand in front of the doorway that connected the living room to the hall, and suddenly a, glasslike, light orange, shimmering something filled the doorway. Kyle approached it and then put his hand to it. Yellow electric arcs danced on the something and around Kyle’s hand. However Kyle felt no pain, just a slight sensation of heat but it was by no means unpleasant. He then took his hand away and the arcs vanished.

 

“What is it?”

“A force field” replied Robert. “I was known as The Shield during my superhero days.”

He lowered his hand and the force field vanished.

“How did you meet your wife?” Kyle asked.

 

“Many moons ago when I would go about running into burning buildings or thwarting terrorists I was part of a team of heroes called ‘The Sentinels’ and my dear Jennifer was part of the team as well. Everyone called her Madam Magnificent back then. From time to time I’d socialize that other heroes, like Captain Fahrenheit, and The Night Flyer, but I’d always hit it off with her more frequently. She was one the most charming people I’ve ever meet.”

Before he could continue, Sandra came back down the stairs wearing a sharp blue dress, her hair was curled back in a bun and she had a pair of awkward looking glasses on her face. She was walking in more focused manner and she was holding Kyle’s foot ball uniform which she handed to him.

 

“Is the face lift necessary?” Kyle asked.

“I just don’t want any one to recognize me”

“Alright” replied Kyle.

“But I think you might need to hold my hand so that I don’t stumble about” she said.

“No problem” Kyle took her hand. Sandra waved goodbye to the father and the two of them made there way to the car.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

     The two lovers came to local Italian restaurant simply called “Michelangelo's”. They walked in and were taken to a booth in the left corner of the restaurant. Sandra scanned her menu; Kyle however had other things on his mind.

 

“Sandra, when did you first discover your powers?” he asked. Sandra looked up from her menu.

“It all stared when I was five. Have you ever seen something that you wanted to reach but you just couldn’t get at?”

“Like what?” Kyle asked.

 

“Well, there was this little statute of my Mon and Dad on top of the living room’s bookshelf. It fascinated me and wanted to get at it. I reached for it with all my might and I actually got it. When I realized what I’ve done I looked around and the room was suddenly so much smaller. I screamed at the top of my lungs and my parents came running in. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. They were smaller then me. I was crying to them ‘what’s happening?’ I was just lucky that my cloths grew with me that time. Fortunately Mom escorted me outside to the back yard. I had no idea what she was thinking until she started growing larger then me. She then hugged me and almost everything was right with the world again. She told me all about my powers and how I can control them. She also talked about how some of our cloths were made of something called Elastium.”

“Elastium?” Kyle asked in bewilderment.

“I know the name is retarded, just go with it” replied Sandra. “Mom told me that my powers were a good thing but she also said that I should only use them in private until was older.”

 

“Question” said Kyle “Why did your cloths rip when you grew today?”

“After I got older we started buying regular cloths. Only my underwear is made out of Elastium”

“Okay, where the hell do you get Elastium underwear? Are they on sale at Macy’s or something?”

“Actually” replied Sandra “You can only get them at Target”

“Why?” Kyle asked.

“I have no idea”

Just then, they heard someone go “Ahem”. They turned to where it came from and saw a waitress who looked rather annoyed with them.

“Do any of you want to order?” she asked.

“Oh” said Sandra. She looked at her menu but the glasses obscured her vision.

“I’ll just have some water to start out with. I’m not ready yet” she said.

“I’m kind of in the same boat” said Kyle “I’ll have a Coke”

The waitress nodded and walked off.

“I think you should take of the glasses” said Kyle “It doesn’t seem like its working for you”

“I just don’t want people gawking at me, and, oh crap”

“What?”

“I have to use the bathroom” said Sandra. She got up and once again started to walk in that same overly focused manner. She didn’t bump into anybody, but she was veering too close into other people only to back out at the last minuet. After ninety seconds of this she finally reached the bathroom. Unfortunately it was the Men’s room and everyone was looking at it. Kyle shook his head.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Sandra was just about finished with her bathroom break when she finally looked at herself in the mirror. She felt sillier then she did when she was in her underwear. It was like she was seeing a version of her self that was normal and it was just so unappealing to think about. She let down her hair and took off the glasses.

 

“Ok” she said “lets do this” she walked out of the bathroom and headed back to the booth. The people were not looking at her this time. She then took her seat. She saw that her drinks have arrived and that Kyle had a smirk on his face.

 “It wasn’t worth it, huh?” Kyle asked. Sandra nodded.“It really wasn’t one of my better ideas” she replied as she looked at her menu. Just then the waitress came back.“So are you two ready?” she asked.

“Yeah” said Kyle “I’ll have the Fettuccini Alfredo”

The waitress wrote it down and then turned to Sandra.

“Do I know you?” she asked.

“I don’t know” replied Sandra “anyway, I’ll have the Linguini in Marinara sauce”

The waitress nodded and took the menus.

“So how” before Kyle could finish a scream came from outside.

 

They looked out the window and saw a brown haired man wearing red and yellow tights land on the street with a heavy thud and then this seven foot tall man wearing white and skintight suit with a massive muscular structure, blond hair, red eyes, and a scowl on his face charged up to him. The man on the ground stood up and clapped his hands together quickly causing what could only be described as powerful focused sonic blast to shoot out and strike his opponent. The other individual just shrugged off the blast and punched the smaller while yelling at the top of his lungs. The smaller man flew fifty feet back and the other man followed. While they could no longer see the brawl they could easily hear it. 

 

“Who the hell was that?” Kyle asked Sandra.

“Which one?”

“Either of them” replied Kyle.

“The only one I know is the bulky guy. He calls himself Strong-arm.”

“I take he’s a superhero of sorts?”

“Kind of” replied Sandra “All I know about him is that he seems to cause five million dollars in damage every week because of what he does. That guy he’s fighting will be lucky if he just gets his arms broken”

“Okay to change the subject for the better” began Kyle “how big can you get?”

“I don’t know” replied Sandra. “Do you want to find out?”

“Now that you mention it, I would” Kyle replied just as the food arrived.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

     After dinner was finished, Kyle drove Sandra to the woods located on the out skirts of the city. It was mainly a hunting ground for many people but it also served as a park. Kyle pulled into a parking lot that next to none their. Kyle and Sandra got out walked into the woods. The woods were not exactly dense which left plenty of room for Sandra to show off her abilities. They walked for about half a mile until they came to a spot they were satisfied with.

 

“Ok, I’m ready” Sandra declared and she began to take off her dress.

“He wait!” cried Kyle.

“I don’t want to destroy it” replied Sandra as she tossed him the dress. Kyle set it down and turned to his underwear clad girlfriend.

“Show me what you’ve got” he said. Sandra nodded and tilted her head side to side. She took deep breath, clenched her fists and started to tighten her arms and legs. She slowly started grow and about five seconds later she quickly released her hands and limbs, thus accelerating her growth. It was like she was pushing against her height in order grow. She pushed out her chest causing quicker growth spurts. She began to dwarf the trees and she finally stopped at a height of 155 ft. Kyle looked up in awe as Sandra, silhouetted against the night sky looked down at her smaller and seemingly more vulnerable boyfriend. She crouched down before him.

 

“Got anything to say?” she asked. Kyle hesitated and then finally spoke.

“How’s the weather?” he asked meekly.

“Ha ha” replied Sandra sarcastically and she picked him up and then stood up straight. Kyle looked around the palm of her hand. It was soft and strangely comfy. “Is that it?” he asked.“I don’t think so.” She replied “I’m just resting my muscles. Growing is like stretching for me. The more I tense my muscles the more grow when I release that tension.”“It just hit me.” said Kyle “Why aren’t you collapsing under your own weight? You should be screaming in agony by now or something. Plus why does your voice still sound normal, and does your blood supply increase with you?”“I have no idea” replied Sandra “but my Dad and I used to watch a show that addressed stuff like that at the end of their theme. If I’m not mistaken it went ‘Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show, I should really just relax.’ Personally I think you should follow that advice.”“Ok” replied Kyle “I’ll stop over thinking this stuff”

“You do that” said Sandra “I think I’ll have another go round at growing. Hold on”

 She tensed up and like before her size slowly increased. Then she released that tension and shot up like a rocket gaining an extra 45 ft in the process. Kyle felt the growth beneath his feet the whole time.“That was a little more exciting then it needed to be” said Kyle. He was about to continue talking until he looked to his left and saw Eisner City in the distance. “Would you look at that” he said. Sandra turned to the cities direction and gasped.“Its beautiful” she said “I’ve never it like this before”

She then looked up at the stars in the sky. She felt like she could reach up and pluck one of them out of sky. She then found a nice clearing and lay down on it while placing Kyle on her torso. Kyle looked up at the stars and got an urge. He was waiting for a moment like this for sometime. He turned toward his girlfriends face but it was blocked her mountainous breasts. It was perhaps the only time in his life when the presence of breasts felt awkward, and one of his life’s mantras was “boobs are never awkward”.

 “Uh, honey?” he asked. Sandra’s hand plucked him up and placed him in her palm. .“Yes?” she asked.“Is it ok if I get something out of my system? This is a once in a lifetime night for me to do this”“You want to sing don’t you?” Sandra asked with a smile on her face. Kyle nodded. Sandra moved her hand a little bit closer to the sky.“Take it away” she said. Kyle nodded, cleared his throat his throat and began.

“There, out in the darkness A fugitive running Fallen from god, Fallen from grace God be witness I never shall yield Till we come face to face Till we come face to face”

Sandra watched and listed in amazement. Not only was his voice fantastic but his body language was so expressive. His arms moved about as if he was conducting an orchestra.

His voiced then reached a crescendo when he came to finale.

“And so it must be and so it is written On the doorway to paradise That those who falter and those who fall Must pay the price!  Lord let me find him That I may see him Safe behind bars I will never rest Till then This I swear This I swear by the stars!”

Sandra wished she could have applauded at this. Kyle looked down at her with smile.

“Pretty good huh?” he asked.

“Magnificent sweetie” Sandra replied.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

    Kyle dropped off Sandra (normal sized and back in her dress) back at her house, and drove off. She walked in and found her father sitting in the living room reading while the TV played in the background. Apparently the news stopped talking about her and went back to talking about some murderer that she could care less about.

“Hi dad” she said.

“Hi dear” he replied “How was the date?”

“Lovely” she replied “By the way Dad, I rethought this whole thing of being a superhero”

“What have you concluded?”

“I want to be one” she replied “doing what I did earlier just felt satisfying. I think I’ll do it more over the summer”

“Ok” he said “but I’ll have to prepare you first. Training will start tomorrow for you”

“Right” she said and began to go to her room for bed.

“Oh and Sandra”

“Yes Dad?” she asked.

“When you do become a superhero, please think of wearing something more dignified then your underwear”