- Text Size +

It was a busy and bustling morning in the Wong household - three of the slaves were busy desperately lifting clothes into a washing machine, all while Ms. Wong, dressed and ready for work, sat back at the kitchen table, drinking coffee and scrolling through her phone. Her feet were up on the table as Laci gave her a foot massage, pounding her fists and pushing her body into the sole as much as possible. She labored endlessly so that her mistress could enjoy a pleasant morning. 


"Be back in a minute, sweetie," the mother said, putting her feet down and setting the phone down next to Laci. Once she had left the room, Laci stared at the phone. She knew the passcode - 1980 - as she had seen her mistress put it in too many times to count. Then, she remembered something else... 


Her first attempt at getting her phone on. She couldn't do it because it required more pressure than she could give without hurting herself in the process. But, as Ms. Wong had said earlier, shrunken people can take more damage than regular people.


She ran over to the phone and slammed on it as hard as possible, finally getting the passcode screen to turn on. She hammered in the numbers - 1... 9....... 8..... 0!


She was in. 


As she looked at the date, she couldn't believe how long it had been since they had captured her. Five months. Five months of doing their household chores, massaging their feet, accepting all of their condescending comments. Five months licking their boots clean.


Regardless, she had figured out how to use the phone, Alice was asleep in her room, and Ms. Wong was in the bathroom doing her make-up. This was the perfect time. As she opened up the email app, she thought of her father's email. She had it all in front of her - the perfect opportunity for escape. She laughed to herself, properly enjoying the moment for the first time in months, before she suddenly stopped. Something overcame her in that moment.


She exited the app.


She slammed against the button on the side, locking the phone again.


She went back to her prior position and sat there, waiting for her mistress. 


Within a few minutes, both Ms. Wong and a half-awake Alice came rushing in. They both put their feet on the table. The scent of foot funk surrounded Laci on all sides. 


"Okay honey, why don't you do Ali's feet for a bit, come back to mine, and keep switching. We've got another hour or so before we head out, so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy our company."


"That means get to work, small fry," Alice added with a yawn. She cracked her toes, slightly startling the tiny woman in front of her. 


Laci spent that morning cowering underneath the feet of the mother and daughter that had complete control over her existence. She accepted that this was her life now, and it wasn't going to change.