- Text Size +

Journal Entry Number Two

May 3rd

I know I have said this many times in my lifetime, but I have not written it down in here yet:

I HATE BEING SHORT!!!

I know I can easily change my height so that I am taller than everyone, but it is so tiring to maintain whatever height I choose. It takes lots of energy, will, and desire to change size, but mainly energy. And the higher the percentage of change the more energy is required. I would say that at the moment if I were to grow to 400% of my normal (5') height, I might be able to hold it for twenty minutes before passing out. And even holding the state for 2 minutes would cause me to collapse upon changing back. The strange thing is, that, I don’t feel tired until I have reverted back to normal. I feel fine all while in the state of growth, except when I faint.

Just wanted to put that out there.

Anyway, so I started the day out by getting up early and getting together my pack and belongings. I don’t have much. As I wrote earlier, I don’t go shopping that often. The ICA (inner city army) bought me most of my clothes, weapons, and other necessities. I pack my three extra pairs of clothing, my saved up money (not my everyday pocket money), my picture of my mother and me, and my journal.

I put on my formal ICA uniform, which is too long because I told the tailor I was five feet tall. There is no female uniform, so I totally look like a guy in mine. I tried my hardest to fix my hair, but it was not cooperating, so I was required to soak it before combing it. My hair, as is everyone else’s hair (most people in the ICA are male), must be kept short. And my short hair does not help my feminine looks.

When I was dressed I secured my assortment of daggers within the many hiding places of my uniform. I made sure my Dralim daggers were easily accessed. Dralim, in the Ancient Language, means change. The daggers will change size to fit my needs, so I keep them handy.

When all set I made my way to the mess hall. It was surprisingly lively. One of my best ‘allies’ (we are not supposed to have friendly relationships with anyone at the ICA, so that is what I call them. They are more or less my friends) at the ICA, Marvin, called me over to his table.

"Hey, Marv (when I say this, I drop the ‘r’, so it sounds like Mav). Quite surprising to see you up before the eight o’clock bell. What’s with you?"

I could tell he was barely awake; it was around six when I had got to the mess hall. He was normally a very lively person, which he attributed to his fancy of sleeping until required to get up. He grunted, "could not miss your departure. Don’t even know if I will ever see you again."

I smiled. "You gonna miss me?"

He gave a tired smile in return, although I could see the laughter in his eyes. "It sure as hell will be quieter around here," he snorted. "I can feel the energy draining out of everyone, already."

"Ha. Yeah. At least it will be peaceful." That was Steve, one of my other allies.

"You had better behave while I am gone," I warned Steve. "I will see if I can come visit some time." If the ICA had not taught me to hide my emotions, I would have been crying at that point.

Marv and Steve both caught the hint that it was time for me to go. "See ya," they chorused. They both stood and saluted. I saluted back, then turned to leave. Steve stopped me and put his mornings ration of bread in my hand.

"We have decided to split breakfast this morning. You are going to need all the energy you can get." Marv nodded in agreement.

I thanked them and left without another word. I walked straight to the ‘Major’. His office was above the sleeping barracks. When I arrived he was not there, but an envelope addressed to me was on his desk. I knew he left it there so I could get it without him having to be there.

Opening it, I saw my file and a sheet that told me my assignment.

The sheet stated:

Assignment: Bodyguard

Client: Classified until meeting

Duration: 1 year, liable to change

Further Instruction: Go to ‘Office Building’. Show secretary the file.

Good luck Clare,

Major

I restored the sheet to the envelope, along with my file, and left.

I reached the ‘Office Building’ in ten minutes. I showed the secretary my file and she told me to wait in the other room and that my client would be there soon.

I walked to the door and was about to exit the room when a tall girl came bursting through. She was not looking ahead of herself because she had been yelling at someone else, and so, she did not notice the ascension in the floor between rooms. I could tell in an instant that she was going to fall and that I was going to be beneath her.

My body acted on its own. I was to late to stop her from falling upon me, but I automatically made my body 300% its normal size, falling back at the same time to cushion the other girls fall. When she started to pick herself up, off my body (which was about 15 tall), she freaked. She had landed on my stomach and the entirety of her body was laying on mine.

Her body froze as she stared at my body beneath her. I could see that she was not going to move, so I excused myself, put my hands around her waist, lifting her slightly. That allowed me to sit up and then eventually stand up (not to full height; more like crouching). I placed her on the ground where she collapsed, knees buckling. I returned to normal, to her relief, and explained that I was born with the ability to do that.

Luckily for me I was wearing my uniform, because otherwise I would not have been wearing clothing after my brief change. My uniform, like my daggers, changed to fit my needs.

The secretary did not seem to be surprised by the going-ons in her office. She walked over to us, the girl and I, and introduced us to each other.

"Lady Summer, this is Agent Clare. She will be your bodyguard for the next year, or so. The two of you will set up your own rules yourself, but these are basis rules that must be followed." She handed Summer a sheet.

Summer gave me a quick looking over before we left. The person she was arguing with was waiting for her outside when we left the building. He advanced on her.

"You know you can’t just walk away from me," he was saying.

"I can and I will," Summer replied coolly. "I don’t want you around. Leave me."

The man lunged. I reacted as I was trained to do. He had been reaching out to grab Summer, so I grabbed hold of his wrist forcing it behind him. He was naturally stronger than I (I really need to work on that), so I grew to seven and a half feet tall.

"Is this man bugging you, milady?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yes. Do, please, ask him to leave." She was smiling slightly, clearly happy I was there. It felt good knowing she was pleased.

"Sir, I am going to ask you to leave. If you do not, I will force you to."

He stared at me. He looked intimidated, but stubborn. "I will not go. She is mine. I will not give her to the likes of you."

Confused at first, I scrunched my eyebrows together as if it would actually help me translate his words. Then I realized what he meant; he thought I was a guy to whom was stealing the girl he deemed ‘his girl’. Ugh, why am I always mistaken for a guy.

"Please sir. I will not ask again. As her bodyguard I will not allow you to stay."

His mouth dropped open. "You got a bodyguard just to keep me away?"

Summer laughed out loud. "Of course not. I have been wanting a bodyguard for a long time now and you just got unlucky in that this is her first day."

Summer and I caught each other’s eyes, sharing an internal laugh. "It seems he does not wish to leave, Clare. Do you mind escorting him to the police?"

Catching the hint, I doubled my size. I grabbed him by the shoulders and was about to lift when he gave out a squeak. "Ok, ok. I am leaving. No need to go to the police."

I let him go, allowing him to stalk off. I swear I heard him utter something about ‘coming back’. I returned to normal and felt my eyelids droop and my knees shake.

Summer smiled at me. "Thanks for that." I finally got a good look at her. She is tall, around 5'10". She has long wavy auburn hair, which she wears up in a bun that I don’t have a name for. She has lovely blue-green eyes. She has curves galore and good sized breasts. More, or less, she is everything I am not.

We got a ride in a carriage to her house (when I say house I really mean like a castle. The place is huge). I was given a tour and then we discussed the terms of my contract.

By the end of the day we had agreed and signed on the terms. The contract looked like this:

Agent Clare of the Inner City Army is hereby in the service of Lady Summer.

Terms of Contract:

-24/7 guard

-Agent Clare shall attend all of Lady Summer’s daily visitations and appointments

-Agent Clare shall have one week off duty, total, and three sick days.

-Agent Clare shall have a bunk that is to be set up in Lady Summer’s room.

-Lady Summer’s word is law as it pertains to Agent Clare’s duty.

When that was over we set up my bunk and went to sleep.

And that concludes my second entry.