- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Boredom is a dangerous thing, especially for those who serve as a source of entertainment. If there ain't no joy found, then what use are one's toys? 

How bored could one woman possibly become? In such a vast world there were opportunities aplenty that could alleviate any sense of monotony, were one simply willing to search for such remedies.

 

Yet as she lay in bed, Maya was far from someone who could be entertained by what she considered the mundane. Going out was hardly any fun anymore. Visiting establishments she enjoyed in the past was no longer an option. Her few sources of entertainment were few and far between these days. One of which being her lover, Lyza. Without her, Maya was often left to her own devices, which in turn mostly consisted of sitting around and letting the minutes tick on by.

 

Even her second favored pass time, the torment and executions of betas and people were beginning to run their course. Was not something she’d give up, easily, it wasn’t as entertaining as she remembered. The blood running down their bodies as she eviscerated them with knives or nails or whatever else she had on hand. The screams they’d elicit when they told her to stop. Their prayers for mercy, their pleading for an end to the pain, fell on uncaring ears. It just wasn’t fun when she was by herself.

 

And she had no idea why.

 

Even before she started dating Lyza, murder was a pastime Maya took great pleasure in. It excited her to no end. Regardless of age, social standing, or race, Maya could and would kill anyone. But…

 

She was finding a hard reason why she should continue.

 

Even the betas she toyed with now, under the promise that she wouldn’t kill them, did nothing to excite her. They squirmed and cursed just as everyone else did. Nothing new, yet new was something that Maya didn’t need. What she needed was more personal. Something she had, and then lost.

 

She wondered how Six was doing. Even as she raised a beta to her face, her blue eyes far bigger than their head, she could only envision her dear Six. She knew he had changed. He was far from the same person she last saw, now over a year ago. In none of that time was Maya given the chance, the opportunity, to see him. He was so adamant against any sort of visit from her.

 

And could she blame him?

 

“He probably hates your guts”

 

Maya’s crip on the beta before her tightened like a vice grip. Her fingers practically crushed the poor beta’s ribs as her thoughts assaulted her.

 

“He probably prefers Roxanne’s company. And why wouldn’t he? From what I heard from Lyza the two of them get along well.”

 

She hated hearing any stories Lyza had in regard to those two together. They seemed so comfortable in one another’s company. It didn’t just make Maya sick. It made her jealous. Envious of the fact that someone else, someone who she believed was as guilty as her, was cozying up to her one and only.

 

“I should have killed her when I had the chance.”

 

Maya now regretted her hesitation back then. A moment of weakness, where she relented in crushed the then four-inch beta under her hand. All because her Six stood out for her. She should have gone through with it.

 

“No…” she shouldn’t think like that. Regardless of whether or not they knew it at the time, Roxanne was an important individual. Killing her then would have left them in the dark for so many things. Of how Lyza’s sister held dark connections with powerful people. Of how important Six was in reshaping the world to as it was now.

 

So many things they wouldn’t know were it not for Roxanne. But that certainly didn’t improve Maya’s mood.

 

The beta in her grasp had stopped moving. Maya wasn’t sure how long she had been squeezing the poor thing, but it was certainly more than it could take. Their body was crumpled up, gore having been forced out the upper half of the betas body. It was amazing that Maya didn’t even notice. Their death must have come slow, and excruciatingly painful. Opening her palm Maya wasn’t surprised to see that there was hardly anything left of the beta’s lower half.

 

“Well, there goes that promise…” Maya tossed the corpse away from the bed, not wishing to get the sheets any dirtier than they already were. Any more and Lyza would likely throw a fit. “Dammit, and after I was told not to kill anyone.”

 

Regardless of whether she held herself back or not, Maya always managed to get someone killed. It was what she was good at. The few betas that remained alive, scattered about on the bed, too terrified to flee, knew this well. They’ve last long. A few months now. But none of them harbored the idea that they’d make it out of this alive. They knew that if they were going to die it would be at the hands of the blue-haired titan that held life in so little value.  

 

“Maybe Lyza won’t be too upset? She always finds herself in a good mood after visiting Six. How lucky she is, to have earned some of his trust over the course of the year.”

 

Maya grit her teeth.

 

She hated this. She hated this feeling. Jealousy directed not just at Roxanne but also at Lyza too. Her other lover. It felt so pitiable, that she could even harbor such emotion towards someone she loved so dearly. But she couldn’t help it. There were a lot of things she couldn’t help.

 

Maya has lost track of the times she’s stood over a sleeping Lyza, knife in hand. How quickly she could end their relationship in the bloodiest way possible. She’s thought carefully about how she’d do it quickly so that there’d be no pain. Then she’d kill Lynette, let the city of Los Demonios tear itself apart from the power vacuum since its biggest player would be gone.

 

Finally, she’d kill Roxanne. Unlike Lyza, Maya would take her time with her. And she’d enjoy every minute of it. Maybe she’d keep the former beta around for a few months. Maybe a few years. Invite on them the most horrendous miseries she could imagine, before finally killing her.

 

And then Six would be hers again. All hers. Only hers.

 

It would be so easy too. Maya’s killed more people than she could count. Enough to fill a graveyard. She never cared how she managed to remain free, not hounded by the authorities as some might imagine. Perhaps the effort of trying to catch her would take too much effort. Perhaps people were just afraid. They had good reason to be, she wouldn’t make any attempt against her life easy.

 

But even if killing those three was easy, she couldn’t bring herself to do it. Not because she cared for Roxanne or Lynette but because she loved Lyza. And it was the fact that she even considered ending her girlfriend’s life that she hated the most. She end her own before it came to that.

Yet the thought was there. The idea that she could commit to such an act wouldn’t leave her.

 

“God, what is wrong with me…”

 

Maya wouldn’t lie and say there was nothing wrong with her. She knew she was plenty messed up. But she liked to think that she kept a good handle on her psyche. She knew who she cared for and who she didn’t. It meant Maya knew who to kill and who not.

 

But it seemed that line was beginning to blur, and she wasn’t sure how long she could keep herself from doing something she’d regret.

 

Looking to the betas scattered upon the bed Maya couldn’t bring herself to care for dinner anymore. Even if this was hers and Lyza’s anniversary all she wanted to do right now was sleep. And she could hardly do that with an audience. Not when they could run away while she slept.

 

Searching for her phone amongst the pillows and sheets, handmade by Roxanne to better keep the conversations between the three women private, she shot her lover a text. 

 

“Don’t worry about dinner tonight, okay? We can just do takeout. There won’t be enough survivors to cook.”

 

 

Lyza read the text that came through and silently prayed that Maya wouldn’t make too much of a mess. The sheets were silk and getting blood out would be all but impossible. Expensive too as her sheets were easily worth several grand. Having to purchase new ones, should Maya leave too much evidence in her actions, wouldn’t be easy. Certainly not as easy as it used to be.

 

Though still fairly wealthy, there has been a considerable dip in Lyza’s revenue. And she had her sister to thank for that.

 

All around, Lyza only saw the advancements of Lynette, her younger sibling. Commodities that allowed for a fairer integration of betas into the social system of Los Demonios. It was the beginning of one, yes, but still was cause for worry as even if these changes were just starting to take root it has still cut into Lyza’s company’s profits. By several million last she checked.

 

Now, a few million was something she could spare. But this early on, with admittedly minor changes having been the cause for losses, was worthy of her worry. This had occurred over the course of a single year. Were it to go on for several more, with bigger and better advancements that focused on the wellbeing of betas, Lyza could very well be in danger.

 

It was clear that Lynette was trying to run Vermont’s Garments, Lyza’s company, into the ground. Or worse, she was trying to lessen its value and buy it with pocket change.

 

All Lyza had worked for, raising up a company that was already failing when she took over, was at risk and she refused to lose it all to her sister. Her mother’s favorite.

 

Now, it was all she could do to put faith in Roxanne and Six, the two having worked under Lynette over the year in the hopes that they could find something useful. Instead, Six had likely benefited Lyza’s sister, as it was usually him who tested out any new beta specific products, the most successful being an actual portable home for the “diminutively challenged”.

That was a *horrible* month from what Lyza can remember. The worst drops yet in sales.

Lyza took a long sip from her cup of coffee, thinking back on how quickly things had changed. Her sister, the slacker of the Vermont family yet still the favored daughter of their mother, was trying to run her into the ground. And no doubt with backing from whatever connections she had.

 

And instead of acting straight away to ensure, she didn’t lose more than she already has, here Lyza was drinking coffee at some random café being served by some beta waiter whose name she didn’t even care to ask. 

 

For several minutes now, the beta had stood on her table, silently waiting to take any sort of orders Lyza might have. How he’d even be able to convey said orders to anyone who could actually make, say, a latte was anyone’s guess. It wasn’t anything Lyza had to concern herself with though. All he had to do was stand around and look like he was working. So long as he stayed out of her way then everything was fine.

 

But damn if he couldn’t say this situation was uncomfortable.

 

There was no disdain in Lyza’s eyes. No disgust or contempt. There was nothing. She cared nothing for the little man before her. He probably wasn’t even a person to her. Though the beta knew he should make sure everything was to the customers liking he had the sinking feeling that were he to ask he’d regret it.

 

“God, what a fucking joke.”

 

The more Lyza thought about how things were unraveling the more she grew to despise her circumstances. She hated the fact that she had to rely on Roxanne and Six. That’s not to say she hated them but having to wait on good news was never a strong suit of hers. She’d much rather do the work herself, get it over and done with fast.

 

The sooner all of this was over the better after all.

 

But you can’t rush these sorts of operations. Should you then you’d only invite error. Patience and time, that’s what Lyza needed. The thing is she felt like she was running short on both.

 

“I know I said I was going to check in on Roxanne and Six, but do I really want to?”

 

Right now Lyza was fully convinced that it’d just be more of the same. Nothing they could use against Lynette. Nothing that could get them a much-needed foothold against her sister, and whoever else may be backing her. So far any visit has been met with updates on Six’s improving condition, along with new inventions from both Roxanne and Rosen Accessories.

 

Lyza was in some way grateful for Roxanne’s intellect. It was thanks to her inventions that things have even been manageable. She had finally made the designer the long-promised sewing machines. Far smaller than she had thought, with alterations that went against the blueprints made. The size of thimbles which went on one’s fingers in much the same way. Yet it was filled with various needles that stitched fabric together at a rate much faster than a standard machine, while also allowing for the precision of Lyza’s delicate touch and attention to detail. With it, even the inexperienced could stitch together a piece of clothing at a rate that rivaled an expert.

 

And were that sort of device to be put in the hands of an expert, the work would be legendary. Such a thing could easily put whole clothing lines out of business, and thus Lyza currently had the sole version. Though were she to patent it, that’d be one hell of a profit.

 

Roxanne went beyond Lyza’s expectations. She was certainly an asset that proved her worth. It was good that Maya hadn’t killed her, though the killer probably thought otherwise.

 

Both Six and Roxanne have shown themselves capable, despite their…limitations. Like herself, Roxanne still depended on the consumption of Antilirin, the medication that allowed some betas to grow, to keep from shrinking again. And Six, despite having grown only a few inches, proved a good liar under the employ of Lynette. Apparently, he was well-liked among the other employees. Charisma is as useful a tool as intellect.

 

She must admit, such charisma was even rubbing off on her in the right way.

 

Ever since he’s begun living with Roxanne Six has become more lively. Less depressing, as though he were able to finally live for himself. His mood, along with his overall appearance, had improved greatly, And Lyza knew exactly why.

 

Though she loved Maya, she knew the effect the killer had on Six. It wasn’t healthy. Even if she wouldn’t say it upfront, Six leaving as he did was probably for the best. She only hoped Maya would at some point understand that. Because, whereas Six has grown more lively over the course of the year, the very opposite was true of Maya. While she still showed energy towards the duo’s more intimate acts, anything beyond that was done at a sloth’s pace. 

 

She just didn’t care. It was disheartening, but to be expected. It felt akin to a form of dependency. Without her “one and only” by her side Maya’s one other form of joy was found only in Lyza. During the times she had to be away from her the murderer likely had nothing to do. Even her killings, which once she enjoyed, were lacking in the excitement they once brought.

 

“I doubt I can convince Six to see her. Even for a few minutes. If there’s one thing he is, it’s stubborn.”

 

A quality she liked though and looking back on their previous talks only forced a shade of crimson onto the designer’s cheeks. They bickered and argued like an old married couple at times but could hold an actual conversation in areas they both enjoyed. Over the course of the year, and after several visits, Lyza’s developed more than a soft spot for the beta.

 

“He’s lucky he’s endearing. Otherwise, I wouldn’t even like him”

 

She’s developed something akin to a crush.

 

Minor as far as they went, not as great as her affection for Maya, but still enough to have been of concern when it first became apparent. Most shrunken betas Lyza saw she viewed as lesser. They had their uses, sure, but they were often so weak. And weak of mind. Hopelessly clinging to the belief that they still mattered, wherein the truth was that at any moment they could be snuffed out. Easily, and by anyone whose shoe was bigger than them.

 

But Six was different. He understood this. He knew his limitations, so instead he focused on developing different strengths. His wits for starters, having picked up a thing or two for Roxanne. His endurance came later, understanding that without his previous wrappings he was no longer as “indestructible” as he used to be. That did little to deter him these days. Despite his stature and past Six stood taller than most regular-sized people.

 

He had spirit, and Lyza found that alluring. Much in the same way Maya’s own spirit captivated her.

 

“I knew he had potential.” Lyza reminisced. “He just needed to find it.”

 

Maybe visiting those two was worth the lack of good news. Perhaps they’d forget their jobs for just a few hours. Enjoy a movie and catch up.

 

Perhaps, through that, Lyza could warm Six up to the idea of seeing Maya. See if he’d be willing to give it a chance. It was worth a shot.

 

Just as her mood was slowly improving, a voice drew Lyza away from her thoughts. Small and irritating, it was the very waiter that had remained patiently to tend to Lyza’s needs. For some time now he had been wondering if he should converse with Lyza, ask if everything was to her liking. Prior to finally speaking, however, the scowl upon her face deterred him from any such action. Now that she was apparently calming down he felt like now was the best moment.

 

“Everything good here, ma’am? Anything you need?”

 

Moments of silence followed after. Lyza had forgotten about the beta. She was so lost in thought that she assumed he found some way down to the floor. An impossible task as these shrunken waiters usually needed assistance. Hindsight on the part of many establishments, but no one wished to fire a beta. Not when there’d be hell to pay from those who’d jump at the chance to defend them.

 

Lyza could very well just say everything was fine and leave it at that. Pay the beta no mind and they could both be on their way.

 

She could do that, but she wouldn’t.

 

“I suppose there is one thing I need.” Lyza pointed behind the beta, a small of sugar cubes, each half the size of the beta. “My drink’s just a little too bit bland for my taste, and I do enjoy my sweets. If it’s not too much to ask…”

 

“Not at all, ma’am.” Even if the beta knew Lyza could easily take a cube for herself getting it himself was far better than just standing around. And even if they were half his size they weren’t terribly heavy.

 

It was only when his back was turned did Lyza’s intentions become clear. The café was practically without customers or security, save for the occasional college student too tired to notice anything that wasn’t their laptop. Even the employees here were dead inside. It was like the owners of the establishment were asking for this to happen.

 

Lyza’s fingers wrapped around both the beta and the cube he had just lifted.

 

“Only two inches? Hah! This’ll be easy!”

 

With the notion of being caught all but an impossibility Lyza tossed the beta into the coffee. It was lukewarm at best, having cooled considerably since she began drinking it. The sole luxury in what was otherwise a horrible situation.

 

The beta thrashed above the brown liquid, grateful that he knew how to swim. He had little to no time to shout however as, before he even could, Lyza stirred her coffee, making sure to dissolve the cube that was now in it. As she did she made sure to push the beta beneath the waves as often as possible. The less time he had to breathe the better. But she didn’t want to kill him. That would come later.

 

Even at his size, the beta was a fighter. He clung to the swizzle as best as he could, seeing that it was his best hope at survival, as being caught in a whirlpool of coffee would likely be a death sentence. Efforts that, ultimately, were pointless. Every time he clung on Lyza simply held him underneath the surface of the liquid, pretty much forcing him to let go in search of air. And whenever he came back up the stirring resumed.

 

It was a pattern that, eventually, got boring.

 

So, when next the beta breached the surface, Lyza made sure to pour a small bit of vanilla creamer onto his head. Thicker than the coffee, its overly sweet aroma stung his nostrils and eyes. He couldn’t even cough as the sweet liquid fell right into his mouth the moment he tried to catch a breath of air.

 

Lyza didn't stop until she had managed a pleasant heart shape in the brown liquid. “I suppose that’ll do..." she did like her drinks sweet.

 

What came next for the beta could only be seen through stained vision. Trying to wipe away the creamer did little to help his sights, though it was probably best he didn’t see what was coming next. He could feel it well enough. Gravity took effect as Lyza raised the cups to her lips, consuming what was effectively gallons of caffeine for the beta. There was nothing he could do to stop his own descent. He was given no chance to save himself as Lyza drank the rest of the contents of her cup in one go.

 

He didn’t even have time to take in the surroundings of her mouth. Just one quick second and he was taking a dive past her throat into what would be his final destination.


Her stomach. The beta didn't fight back. He didn't need light to know where he was, the gurgles of Lyza's impossibly large organ made it clear. The poor waiter could do nothing but wait for the inevitable end. 


Soon to be turned into nutrients that Lyza couldn’t even consider breakfast.

 

“At the very least it was fun toying with him. Maybe I should order a breakfast wrap? Haven’t had anything to eat aside from a few…pests.”

 

Maybe she’ll get something for Six and Roxanne too. Her spirits had improved greatly. So much in fact that she’d think it best to leave a sizable tip. Hopefully, someone who actually worked in the café would take it rather than some random stranger.

 

After all, it wasn’t like her waiter would be the one to collect. 

Chapter End Notes:

As always, a rating and review are greatly appreciated!