- Text Size +

Two miles…

But that’s wrong… I’m five foot five…

I’d die instantly if I were two miles tall…

I wouldn’t be able to breathe, for one thing…

It’s silly… It’s impossible…

But then how is everyone else so small…

Why don’t I have clothes…?

How do they know my name…?

Hannah’s thoughts flowed through her otherwise empty mind like a cascading waterfall. For several hours, she had been curled up static in a fetal position, while scientists and researchers arbitrarily tried to get a response from her. The powerful, colossal woman looked like a wounded animal; scared, cold, hungry and crushingly alone…

“John- she might be two miles, but she still needs to eat!” Courtney, the researcher that broke the news to Hannah, stated argumentatively as her silver hair fell in front of her face, which she was quick to push back.

“Well what do we feed it?” John replied, with equal force in his voice. He ran his fingers through his red, combed over hair. “We don’t even understand to what extent its organs changed in the growth…”

“Well, what do you propose we do? Let her starve? Do you want a giant, immobile corpse laying over Los Angeles? How do we get rid of her then? Cremate her? Bury her? Hack her up into little, transportable bits?” Courtney argued emotionally. “That’s not what I mean and you know it.” John stated bluntly, his arms crossed as he gently swayed on his revolving chair. “The forensic evidence suggests that its stomach’s changed to react even better to meat than the average human, right?” he inquired, in a much calmer tone.

“Well… yes, that is what the saliva sample suggests… but we can’t really know for sure yet.” She sighed, looking at Johns raised eyebrow. “But then again that’s all we’ve got to go on… she’s still in shock, we’re not going to get any samples from her for a while, me thinks...”  she admitted in a likewise much calmer tone, gazing out the hole in the wall that formed a window, looking at the empty-looking giantess. “So, I come back to my original point; what do we feed her? We can’t just line up and offer ourselves, can we!”

Johns head shot up “I mean… why not?” for Courtney, the world went silent and her vision focused only on John, her mind unable to process his statement. After gazing intently for a few seconds, she asked simply “W…what?”

“I mean- entirely hypothetically- the saliva sample suggests it can break down meat much, much more efficiently than us normal people, and vegetation is much more difficult for it… and when you think about it, it would only technically be cannibalism, I mean, it hardly counts as homo sapiens any more…” John explained. Courtney maintained her mesmerised, stunned, ghostly glare, as she remained entirely motionless. “What?” she inquired shocked, as she couldn’t tell if her counterpart was joking or not. Sighing, John shook his hand, pressing his head up against the other hand. “Just… just thinking out loud- livestock would be much more efficient… and far less controversial...”

Trying to ignore John’s earlier statement, Courtney simply nodded, her face still weaving a tale of absolute confusion and alarm, stating “Yeah… livestock… lots and lots of livestock… God, how much is that going to cost?”

Hours later (though the wreck that was Hannah could have sworn it minutes), Courtney got up on the pedestal again to communicate with her. It was at that point that Hannah’s ears aimed directly at Courtney, hearing everything she was saying to her co-workers even before she got up on the podium. How can I hear her, she’s so tiny… Hannah thought, as though it was the strangest thing to happen that day. Hannah’s striking, green eyes glared a million miles downwards at absolutely nothing.

Courtney was clearly making her speech up on the spot “Hannah- In the hours since your growth, you’ve eaten nothing- it’s not good for you, especially for someone your size!” she quipped, foolishly trying to lighten the situation. Biting her lip and glaring down, she carried on. “Anyway…  Ahem… at the expense of…” she looked away, so she could hesitate “The US government… we have ordered you some food, beef to be specific…” She was careful not to mention the fact they ordered one thousand tons of the stuff; she did everything in her power not to remind Hannah of her situation.

Nothing from Hannah.

“It’ll nourish you for a good while… and we can purify sea water easily!” Courtney stated in a tone that was optimistic for Hannah’s sake.

Still, nothing.

Wiping across her forehead, she slowly stated “Hannah… honey, we need to know… are you going to be able to eat something? For us?” in a motherly tone, for she was indeed old enough to be her mother. For someone so colossal and hulking, Hannah’s actions were miniscule. After a small period of time, Hannah’s head jerked nervously from side to side, with her fingers up against her mouth, indicating a distinctive “No”.

A certain amount of panic spread on the ground, amongst the researchers. Courtney cleared her throat, before spouting “Hannah, you need to keep your strength up!” in a concerned tone. In the short amount of time that Hannah had been at her monstrous size, Courtney felt an almost motherly bond growing between them, like Hannah was her responsibility alone. “Please do us a favour and at least try…” Courtney appealed. Hannah was motionless, the giantess starting to look like a feature of the landscape as she sat on the rubble of half a city.

Courtney climbed down from the platform that did not even come a fifth of the way up Hannah’s little toe, a defeated, concerned look on her face. Just then, the most deafening of sounds happened. Courtney, who had only just got off the platform’s ladder, covered her ears as the growling of a colossal, raging animal sounded. After her, and everyone else’s, body had unfrozen, she looked round, and realised the monstrous sound was emanating from Hannah’s stomach. It sent a shiver down their collective spines, as thoughts of how to fill it flooded their minds… Hannah’s eyes squeezed closed.