- Text Size +
"Doing what?" I asked.

"What's a homunculist?" inquired Gladys.

"And, why does it need countering by more than one agency?" demanded Melissa.

Meriwether held up his hands, signaling for one question at a time.

" 'Homunculist' is what our organization calls women with a fetish for shrunken men. It comes from the Latin word 'homunculus,' referring to a little man artificially created through alchemy. That is; according to medieval European folklore!"

He revealed that most of these women only encountered such men by accident. Subsequently adopting them as unique "pets." But, some of these "pet-owners" proved to be cruel and abusive.

"And, an extreme few are directly responsible for that shrinkage in the first place! Using either some new, high-tech advancement. Or, something of a more...metaphysical nature."

"And, it's your job to police such women?" Melissa stated rather than asked.

"Let me put it this way," he replied: "If I were to shrink you or Officer Crabtree down to Captain Stone's present height, would you voluntarily agree that your civil rights had been similarly reduced, in proportion?"

"Of course not!"

"You try to shrink me?" added Gladys: "And, I'll give you a right cross up-side your head!"

"Then, why should shrunken men suffer from a double standard?" Meriwether continued (half-smiling at Gladys' retort): "Hence, our acronym! You name the agency, and we're partially funded by them. Because, there are more homunculists out there than any of you realize. And, you're not the first shrinkie that we've rescued, Capt. Stone. Which brings me back to my earlier statement."


He revealed that half of M.A.C.H.O.'s Research Division was incessantly engaged in trying to find a way to reverse "bio-miniaturization" (as they preferred to call it). While waiting for that momentous discovery, some of the shrinkies filled their time by working as special operatives for M.A.C.H.O. Accompanied by a normal-sized partner, or "normie," as bodyguard.

"If I may be blunt; you certainly can't go back to being an astronaut. And, if they're amenable, I could even arrange for Agent Belmondo and Officer Crabtree to be transferred with you, and serve as your bodyguards!"

Picking me up in her right hand, so I could have an equal say in the matter, Melissa and I huddled with Gladys for a bit. Then, the huddle broke up, and I was put back down on the conference room tabletop.

"It's a deal!" we chorused.

Now, I'm in a "dormitory" that looks more like a dollhouse version of Yale University. And, I have three roommates who were recently shrunk, themselves: Ned Fogarty; Fyodor Ivanov; and Diego Garcia. We all wear these red cover-alls that make us look like Lee Majors action-figures from the 1970's. But, at least we're not naked!

We attend these classes called "re-orientation," which is to help us cope with the psychological aspects of being so small. As for Mel and Gladys? They're getting self-defense refreshers from a sensei named Anjiro Watanabe. And, scuttlebutt has it that he's a genuine, honest-to-God ninja!

I don't know what work I'll end up doing for M.A.C.H.O. But, whatever it is, I just know it's not going to be dull.


THE END?
Chapter End Notes:
* * * * *

"Six Million Dollar Man" is owned/copyrighted by Glen Larson Productions and Universal Studios.