- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The collage for this story:

https://gs-uploader.jinja-modoki.com/upld-view-document.php?file=/documents/chainorchid/beachholiday.jpg

PALA CITY — Pala's beachfront tourist developments may become a victim of their own success, warn market researchers at Farnaby-Mond in a report published this month. According to their analysis, overcrowding at popular beaches is not only causing ecological damage but also undermining visitor satisfaction, threatening the long-term sustainability of Palan tourism.

The report cites results from an annual survey of visitors conducted by the Pala Tourism Promotion Organization, in which 46% of respondents expressed moderate or strong dissatisfaction with heavy crowds at beaches — a 15% increase from the previous year.

Holidayers at Rendang Beach this week echoed these concerns. Erica Gale (30) and her fiancé Antonio Scarabelli (32) were hoping for a carefree day on the beach but had difficulty finding a space. “There's hardly anywhere to lie down,” said Ms. Gale, “Little people on the ground everywhere, and it's so cluttered with all these buildings.”

Added Mr. Scarabelli, “I don't have any room to stretch my arms or legs without hitting anything. My feet keep banging into this hotel or whatever it is. This isn't relaxing, it's almost claustrophobic.”

Beth Garner (38) was able to secure a spot on the beach, but found her sunbathing short-lived. “I spread my towel out, and I had a magazine and a nice cool drink. But there was all this booming nonstop, and the ground kept shaking. My drink fell over and spilled. And then, some lady sat down and folded her legs over the whole area. Blocked out the sun all the way from the water to the seawall. I had to get up and move, and so did dozens of other people. It was a mess. I couldn't find another good spot, so I just went back to my hotel.”

But hotels are no refuge from overcrowding, as guests of the Rondeau Premier can attest. The newly-constructed beachfront resort hotel was “inundated” with guest complaints yesterday, when for much of the day its entire west wing was covered by the corner of a beach towel and its east wing was mostly covered by hair.

“This is a supposed to be an ocean view suite. It costs twice as much as a ‘city view.’ But outside the window it was completely black! We might as well have been in a cave,” said Farshad Alinejad (43), who stayed at the Rondeau along with his wife and two children.

Experiences like these are not limited to low-rise structures like the Rondeau; guests in the upper stories of high-rise hotels have also reported that at times their windows offer nothing but a close-up view of a knee, a hip, or a shoulder.

“Normally we are more than happy to move guests to a different room, but when we are fully booked this can be difficult,” explained a hotel spokeswoman. Reportedly, guests who complain of obstructed views are typically offered compensation ranging from vouchers for drinks at the hotel bar to discounts on future stays.

If the trend continues, the Farnaby-Mond report warns, the reputation of Pala's beaches will be tarnished, impacting revenues at waterfront businesses. High-end establishments such as luxury resorts and gourmet eateries will suffer the most, analysts say, as well-heeled consumers with the means to travel take their holidays elsewhere.

The report does not recommend any specific measures to alleviate overcrowding, though it does mention policies employed in other areas including the establishment of limited-admission beach areas and caps on total hotel bookings.