Slayers: The three daughters. by Stevie
Summary:

In a world of giants and humans, the giant slayer race was created by the gods to keep the power hungry giants in check and restore balance. This arrangement worked for thousands of years but now, after a key assassination, even the power of slayers may not be enough to stop the force that is coming. 


Categories: Giantess Characters: None
Growth: None
Shrink: None
Size Roles: FM/f, FM/m
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 179098 Read: 109740 Published: January 05 2019 Updated: October 03 2021
Story Notes:

A story inspired by the medieval style stories that have been popping up lately.  [IF YOU GET TO THIS PAGE AND READ THIS, FOR SOME REASON YOU CAN ONLY ACCESS THE STORY BY LOGGING INTO AN ACCOUNT NOW.  HOPEFULLY IT GETS FIXED, AND I CONTACTED THD SITE, BUT WHO KNOWS.

1. Chapter 1 by Stevie

2. Chapter 2 by Stevie

3. Chapter 3 by Stevie

4. Chapter 4 by Stevie

5. Chapter 5 by Stevie

6. Chapter 6 by Stevie

7. Chapter 7 by Stevie

8. Chapter 8 by Stevie

9. Chapter 9 by Stevie

10. Chapter 10 by Stevie

11. Chapter 11 by Stevie

12. Chapter 12 by Stevie

13. Chapter 13: Juliette's return by Stevie

14. Chapter 14 by Stevie

15. Chapter 15 by Stevie

16. Chapter 16 by Stevie

17. Chapter 17 by Stevie

18. Chapter 18 by Stevie

19. Chapter 19 by Stevie

20. Chapter 20 by Stevie

21. Chapter 21 by Stevie

22. Chapter 22 by Stevie

23. Chapter 23 pt.1 by Stevie

24. Chapter 23 pt 2 by Stevie

25. Chapter 25 by Stevie

26. Chapter 26 by Stevie

27. Chapter 27 by Stevie

28. Chapter 28 by Stevie

29. Chapter 29 by Stevie

30. Chapter 30 by Stevie

31. Chapter 31 by Stevie

32. Chapter 32 by Stevie

33. Chapter 33 by Stevie

34. Chapter 34 by Stevie

35. Chapter 35 by Stevie

Chapter 1 by Stevie

Aww. . .another glorious day in the kingdom. . . At least it would be if I wasnt just about out of my "magic elixir". You could say I had a small drinking problem . . And I would tell you to shut up!



Sorry! That's just a little joke I like to tell. . . . But seriously. . . It was an ongoing battle between the bottom of the bottle and the distance to the next village. It was a race easily won when I have Marcel with me. Unfortunately I lent him to my brother about a month ago and haven't heard from either of them since. . .

Marcel is a horse by the way. . . I don't say "My horse" because he acts of his own accord most of the time. . . Stubborn bastard. But, none the less. . . I would assess that he is the best friend I have in this vast, vast shithole of a kingdom.

I continued to trudge on towards the next village. Sure, traveling took longer when you avoid the main roads, but that is the price you pay when you are someone like me. . .

Who am I?

The name is Antony. . . Antony Lockwood. Ant for short, though I preferred to be called stranger. It was safer for a man of my race these days.

That race? . . . . Slayer. Short for "giant slayer". If I'm being honest, it always sounded more like a profession than a race, but our true, God given name had been lost to time. Now. . Only slayer. . . And only whispered in the darkest corners at the latest hours.

It didn't used to be that way though. Slayers didn't used to be either direct body guards to the king and the capital, or fugitives from the crown. . . We were heroes. Celebrated throughout the human realm for keeping towns and villages safe. Those were better times.

I suppose you need a brief history lesson to know what I'm talking about, huh?

Alright. . . So in the beginning of time, the gods created 2 races. . Humans and giants. Decidedly similar in every way except for size and strength. Time passed and things were ok, the humans ruled the lands inside the mountain range, and the giants, the expanse beyond.

As you would expect, eventually the giants began to question why they had to deal with the harsher weather and terrain while the humans got to enjoy fertile ground and less severe weather patterns. It wasn't long before they realized how easy it was to ravage a race that barely crests your ankle and soon the world began to swing out of balance as the giants started their invasion.

Humans, given no choice but to flee, were driven out of the valley, past the mountains and into the land we now know as the kingdom. All well and good. . . Except the giants weren't satisfied.

Still they fought the humans. Only this time it wasn't out of necessity. The land the giants had stolen was the most fertile on earth. This time it was out of boredom and sport. Lone giants roaming the human country side for the sake of terrorizing anyone smaller than themselves.

Enter the giant slayers.

As prayer upon prayer about the giant menace reached the gods, they knew they couldn't just stand by and let one half of their creation get wiped out. And so they created a 3rd and final race.

Giant slayers.

Born with the size of man, but with the strength, durability and lifespan of the giants, we were forged as weapons to equalize the world and usher in an era of peace between the races. Every village was under the protection of a slayer, and soon we were loved by the people and feared by the giants.

Long story short, things were good for a time and now they aren't. Under the rule of a new king, all the slayers were forced to go to the capital, leaving the villages unprotected. Any slayer who refused was labeled a traitor to the crown, and had a bounty placed on his or her head.



Finally I saw the next village in the distance. Unexpectedly, it wasn't bustling with villagers like these places normally were. I emerged from the woods, and kept my distance, surveying the area. . . . Not a soul to be seen.

Odd.

Feeling the coast was clear, I walked into the open and into the village. Looking around, it didn't seem like it was deserted, but there was no sign of life anywhere. Although it was unlikely, in the back of my mind I had to entertain the possibility that this was a trap set by a bandit town.


That was. . . . Until I walked to the main entrance of village. What I saw made my stomach drop. It was something I had only seen a number of times before, and every time it had been a message to somebody.

A stone burial.

Giant lore.

A stone burial was one of the cruelest deaths a giant could deal. Basically. . . .a deep hole was dug, either by the giant or in the cruelest cases, the victims. Next, the humans were forced into it. Finally the dirt was placed back in on the live victims and. . .

And the giant proceeds to trample and pack the dirt into place layer by layer. I don't need to tell you what happens to the unfortunate humans, but by the time the giant is done, the ground is packed so hard under the weight, that it becomes like stone.

The result is A: the bodies are a total loss, as even the remains are unrecoverable as they are embedded in the stone, and B: the giants believe that if the ground is packed in hard enough, even the soul can't penetrate the stone and is forever trapped in the grave. . .unable to ascend to the afterlife.


From the look of it, the victims had to dig the grave, as various hand tools littered the ground amongst the hundreds of giant footprints. In the center of the path, the tell tale grey patch of stone, unmissable to anyone traveling through. The footprints then doubled back the way they had came, West up through the forest towards the mountains.


Hundreds of years ago, as a slayer I would have tracked the giant down and ended his life, but today, that wasn't the plan. I didn't stay to mourn, and instead turned and went back into the village. If all the inhabitants of the villagers were gone, they wouldn't mind me gathering my share of traveling provisions.

Lane by lane, I combed the village, picking and choosing supplies and taking whatever money I could find. I had learned long ago that it wasn't worth dwelling on the death. I had been around long enough to see many human lifetimes and knew that their time was short.

As I searched, the second to last lane threw me a curve ball. The soft ground was pounded with giant prints, all centralized around a small stone hut. In front of the hut door, full water barrels had been stacked up against it, sealing it from the outside.

Each barrel weighed at least 500 pounds, and they were placed 2 deep and four high. I wasn't sure what the giant was trying to keep locked inside, but I wasn't sure I even care. I was just about to turn and leave, when I heard a noise come from the hut.

It sounded like crying.

I knew I should just walk away, but against my better judgemen, I made sure I wasn't being observed, before I easily lifted the barrels out of the way. With the swinging door unobstructed, I pulled it open and stepped back.

A moment later, the head of a dirty faced teenaged boy appeared from the darkness. With the mystery solved, I turned to leave but inevitably I was roped back in.

"Hey! Mister! Did you come to rescue us?!" He called after me, stepping fully from the hut now.

"No. I'm just passing through, kid." I said, holding my hand up in a goodbye gesture as I walked.

"Well did you see anyone else here? All of our parents and the other adults were forced to go to the front gate and we were trapped in there!" The boy informed me and as he did, other dirt covered children began to emerge from behind him. A total of 17 in total.

I took a deep breath, stopped and turned around. I knew I had to tell him. Inform him that likely every adult in the whole town was dead and gone now. I had done that type of thing many times, but it never got any easier

"Uhhh, come here kid. . ." I said, solemnly.

He walked to me cautiously, still looking around for any signs of life.

"The truth is. . . . Everyone who lived here. . . Is gone. . . Dead." I told him, not sugar coating it at all.

He looked like he had mentally prepared for that possibility already and put on a brave face, for what it was worth.

"So. . . She DID kill them then. . . " he said, his head hanging.

As curious as his "SHE" was. . . I had no plans on getting involved with these kids and their plight, so I didn't ask him to elaborate.

"Yeah. . . " was the only reply I gave him.

"I guess. . . I'm in charge now. " he said, lifting his head to look me in the eye.

"I don't know where we will go, but we can't stay here. I don't know if that giantess will come back, but we can't afford to be here if she does. I know I have no right to ask. . . But can you help me get us to the next village to the south?"

And there it was! The inevitable arduous task that would no doubt take me away from my own goals and ambitions. In the prominent days of the slayers, it was an everyday occurrence but now. . .it only seemed to happen when I had places to be.

If the situation was any different, I would have politely declined, but I really didn't want to return to the gods when my time was up, and have to explain why I turned my back on a bunch of kids.

"Ok. Get all of you gathered up. . . And load up those 2 wagons over there. . . We leave in a half hour." I dictated, enthusiasm devoid of my voice.

"Mister. . . It looks like all the horses are gone. . . . Those wagons won't be of much use to us. . ."

"I'll. . . Handle it." I sighed, and walked away.

If I was going to deal with this situation, I was going to need more liquid motivation.


45 minutes later, I was heading back to the exact town I had just left, this time with a wagon train in tow. At this point, it was obvious to all involved that I was not just another human as I drunkenly swaggered down the path pulling not one, but two fully loaded ox carts like they were nothing.

Luckily, we didn't pass any other travelers, which seemed odd but worked to our advantage. We were able to make good time, but only made it about halfway before night fell. We weren't in the best part of the kingdom to be traveling at night, so I decided to pull off and set up camp.


"Alright kid, Why don't you and the other older kids get a campfire going. I'll keep a lookout for the night." I instructed staring off into the darkness and taking a sip of liquor.

"My name is Lucas. . . " He said, letting it hang like he was expecting me to tel him my own name.

"Nice to meet you." Was all he got from me.

He seemed unsatisfied but he left and did what I said.


That night there wasn't much happiness around the campfire. Nobody had any illusion that the village was ok, but that was just life in the kingdom. They tried to keep morale up, but I knew eventually the reality would set in. I didn't really want to think about it.

After awhile, everyone was asleep except for Lucas, who only stared into fire, hoping to find answers or peace. I wasn't sure which.

Soon, came the unavoidable conversation.


"So. . . . What did she do to them? He asked, poking the fire with a stick.

I figured he was old enough to hear the truth, so that is what I gave him.

"A stone burial. . . . If you know what that is. . ." I said, quietly.

He nodded, and hung his head.

"Will you go after her?" He asked, a slight amount of hope in his voice.

I only chuckled.

"Do you know what happens when men go chasing giants? They don't come back, kid!" I said, trying to keep my voice down.

"But you're no ordinary man, are you?" He said, pointing a long skinny finger at me. "You're one of them!"

"I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about." I said, dismissing him.

"You just pulled two ox carts 15 miles with your bare hands! Plus, you're carrying that sword on your back! I. . . . I know you're a giant slayer. " he whispered.

I let out a low laugh.

"The farmer just kept the cart wheels greased, that's all! And as for the sword. . . It's dangerous around these parts, you know that." I lied, taking a swig.

I knew the kid wasn't stupid, but talking openly about giant slayers was unwise in this day and age.

"Whatever you say. . . " he mumbled, before he turned in and went to sleep, leaving me alone with my thoughts in the night.


The next day I successfully delivered them to the next village, and we parted ways. It was more than a minor inconvenience, but at least I knew I didn't want to go in that particular direction again.

I wasn't actively avoiding giants. . . .but myself and my brother had barely survived the last encounter.

Half the day was shot by the time I finished that quest, but I set out anyway, fully restocked on supplies. That being said, by the time I finally got to the next village, it was pouring rain, and I was more than a little drunk. I stumbled through the streets until I finally found the village's inn.

The inn keeper was an old man and his wife. I took a liking to him immediately, and we drank deep into the night, before I retreated to my room for the night.


I took the sword off my back, placing it beside my bed before I placed another couple logs in the fireplace and layed down for a good night's rest.

That didn't happen.



Sometime in the next few hours, I was jolted awake by the ringing of the town's warning bell. Warning bells were used to signal attacks from either other humans or giants. This was the latter.

In my drunken stupor, I could feel the tremors of something big moving through town and the accompanying screams of humans. I rolled out of my bed, and stumbled to the door of my room. From there I ran as quickly as I could down the short hallway as bits of the walls chipped and crumbled from the seismic activity.

In the pitch black of the night, the onslaught of torrential rain and confusion in the street, I rushed out of the inn to face whatever monster was terrorizing the people. I looked left, then right but I couldn't get an exact fix on where the noise was coming from as I stumbled to stay upright and keep water out of my eyes.


Unfortunately, I didn't have to wait for more than a second before the monster found me. .

From behind, I was hit with the force of 1000 black Smith's hammers. It knocked me to the ground, and pressed me down into the mud. I could do nothing as I sunk deeper and deeper before hitting semi-solid ground. The problem with that was that I was now being crushed.

It wasn't my first time being stepped on by a giant, as it came with the territory but that doesn't mean I liked it. Although, this time I didn't have to endure it for long as I blacked out at the peak of the weight. I only hoped the mud didn't smother me, or the rain water drown me before I could come to.

Chapter 2 by Stevie
Sometime later I sputtered back to life, coughing up mud and water. It was honestly a miracle that I didn't drown, as the giant footprint began to fill in with rain water.


My bones popped and twitched as I peeled myself up from the mud and out of the ground. It had been quite some time since I had been flat out stepped on by anyone. It was as painful as I remembered, but it came with the territory of fighting people to whom you were only slightly above ankle height. It seemed giants were born with the instinct to stomp and trample anything human sized.


It took me a moment to stop coughing up gravel but when I did, I got the full impact of the giant attack. . .

Utter devastation.

Everything leveled.

There wasn't a building left standing.

In the streets, more footprints like the one I had just crawled out of, no doubt filled with the flattened corpses of the village people. Others were buried under the rubble of their own houses and shops.

Seeing this reminded me of the inn keeper.

I turned around to see that the inn wasn't spared. It's flattened framework jutted partially out of the grime. I knew it wasn't something I wanted to see, but still I sifted through the debris until I found what I was looking for. Not the body of the inn keeper, but my sword.

With it safely secured to my back, I set off into the stormy morning. I had a new heading apart from my previous mission.

Now, I was out for revenge.

Unfortunately, I was just out of the front gate of the city, when I found the final message left by the attacker. And to be honest, it hurt worse than the rest of what I had seen. The massive loss of life was unacceptable, but someone had it out for one poor soul tenfold.

What I saw. . . . Pinned to a big tree right outside the village by his own sword. . . Was another giant slayer.

I could only tell because he wore the traditional uniform of the capital's giant slayers. A green and silver cloak with brown leather pants.

He had long, brown hair that was caked with dirt, and his lavish cloak was filthy and torn to shreds. Upon closer inspection, I saw that nearly every bone in his body had been broken and I guessed that he had been stomped pretty thoroughly.

The icing on the cake, was his sword. Every giant slayer had a special weapon. Most were swords but not all of them. It was something a giant slayer was gifted by the gods upon their creation. It had been close to 2 years since I had drawn my own, but this man's looked like it had seem better days.

The giant had run this slayer through with his own sword, not stopping until the slayer was pinned three feet off the ground and his blade fully buried in the thick trunk of the tree. It was a feat that was only possible with the immense strength of a giant.

I took a moment to reflect on what I was seeing. Not because all of the slayers were brother's in arms at this point in time, but because it proved that at any moment this could happen to me.

I wasn't in the business of digging graves, so I pulled the king's badge of honour from his cloak, placing it in my pocket, before I left him be. If it was any consolation, I was now on the hunt for this giant so if he wanted to see it as me avenging him, he could.

With it still pouring rain, I followed the tracks leading away from the village. They continued on for miles, weaving in and out of the forest's trees. Finally they reached a stone ridge and I lost the track on the hard pack.

Using my tracking skills I climbed to the highest peak I could find and looked down on the valley. In the distance, I found what I was straining to see.

About 5 miles off was the flickering Orange glow of a campfire.

Still pretty drunk from the nightcap with the inn keeper, I made my way down the ridge and continued on toward the fire. An hour later, I was at the edge of the camp.


It looked to be a full time camp, as giant clothes were hanging over the giant sized fire to dry and I spied quality built cots in 2 "smaller" tents. As small as a giant's tent could be.

Which leads me to the giant. . . . Well. . 3 of them to be exact. What I assumed to be a father, and his two kids.


The man looked to be middle aged (in human years". He was balding but had a full, dark brown beard. He had on the commoner standard, which was just a basic long sleeve shirt, and trousers. There were no shoes on his feet, which was the tell tale sign of the lowest class in both the giant and the human worlds.



The man was cooking some type of meat over the campfire, which was partially under a tent. Giants weren't as sensitive to the elements as humans were, so the tent was likely just to keep the fire from the rain.


The son was the next oldest. Early teens by the look of him. Dressed the same as his father, he was sat on a tree trunk that was serving as a bench for the campfire. His hair was cut very short by the standards of the time and He had no facial hair. He had a pocket knife and was widdling away on a piece of wood. His face read concentration.



Finally the daughter. She looked to be maybe a couple years younger than the boy. She was crouched over by the fire, playing with some human sized stick dolls. Her hair was drenched and reached halfway down her back. She too was barefoot like the others, but her ankle was adorned with a bracelet and her hair was decorated with a makeshift vine crown.



I knew in my heart that none of this matched the clues I had seen in the town. There had been only one set of footprints, not 3. That didn't mean that the father couldn't have gone alone, but it was highly unlikely. Yes, the average human would be no match for even the female child, but they were still kids, and getting into trouble is what they specialized in, so leaving them alone could be ruled out.



The second clue is that the man was barefoot. The prints had been made by boot. That also wasn't to say that he couldn't have taken them off, but that too was highly unlikely. It rained in the kingdom about 50% of the time, and those who owned boots knew it was important to keep your feet dry.


Still though.

These giants even being in human country was against the law as decreed by the current king. Not that I cared anything about the law, but it meant that I would be in the right to kill them. That coupled with the fact that I followed the tracks here. . . In spite of all the facts that said otherwise. . . I had to confront him. . . Or them, or whoever.



Trying and failing to compose myself, I stumbled out into clearing. My face was illuminated by the comparatively massive fire that was casually burning. The man was the first to notice me. He gave me a quizzical but friendly look.

"Can I help you, stranger? " he asked, his voice deep and warm.

"Yes. . . Yes you can. . ." I slurred. "I'm just curious to know if you happened to pass through a little village not 20 miles from here in the last day or so. ."

The man gave it no thought and answered immediately.

"No, I can't say that I have. I didn't even know there was such a place, but you humans seem to sprout up new towns every time I blink my eyes." He chuckled to himself.

By now, both of the children were staring at me, with no real emotion on their faces.

"Hmm. That's odd. . . Because. . .that little town just happened to have a giant attack today and. . .The footprints just happened to lead me directly here." I said, my voice accusatory.

"That IS a coincidence I suppose." Said the man calmly, as he continued to cook the meat. "Are you sure you didn't get turned around in this rain? It can be kind of hard to track anything in this weather." He offered.

I was beginning to lose patience with him playing dumb by now.

"Yeah, it is a coincidence. . . Or maybe someone attacked specifically on this day, for that exact reason!" I shouted, taking a step forward.

The man sighed and stood up, rain water rushing off of his clothes and hammering off the ground below.

"So. . . Just what are you accusing us of, son?" He asked, clearly trying to stay calm.

"I'm not accusing you of anything, but you giants just being here is grounds for execution in this kingdom. " I said, trying to focus the nine giants I was seeing right now.

These words earned a gasp from his daughter and she moved to stand behind her father. The boy had also switched his pocket knife from a widdling grip, to an aggressive wielding grip.

"Look. . . I'm not sure whose authority you are acting on, but we aren't here to cause any problems! We are here to escape the turmoil in our own capital!"

"That would be the authority of the king! But I'm sure you already knew what the policy on giants was, didn't you?"


"We are just trying to survive and live in peace. . . We have never harmed humans!" The man said, trying desperately to avoid conflict.


"Hmm. . . That's odd. . Because your daughter's ankle bracelet says otherwise!" I said, reaching over my shoulder and grabbing the hilt of my sword.

The man looked at his daughter's bracelet. It was a simple rope bracelet, but the charms were what I was talking about.

Human skulls, with other various bones in between.

"She. . . She just found those bones! I told her not to take them, but you know kids!" He exclaimed quickly. "She was just trying to dress in the style of the 3 daughters!"


"As true as that is. . . I do have a job to do. . " I said solemnly before I prepared to attack. This wasn't something I wanted to do, but somebody had to take the fall.


I was just about to draw my sword, when for a brief moment I felt a strange presence before. A split second later I was blindsided.





Some time later I opened my eyes. It took me a moment to realize I was being drug backwards by my cloak. I stayed perfectly limp, as to not let my assailant know I was conscious. I counted to 3 in my head, before a swung my arm full strength to take out their legs.


I hit nothing but the attacker released my cloak and I was free. I looked above me just as the figure touched down from dodging me.


I scrambled to my feet, but before I could raise a fist, he closed the gap between us, and hit me with a massive punch to the stomach. I barreled across the clearing, but just as I was about to hit a tree, the figure appeared ahead of me, and with a downward punch, my head was smashed into the ground.


I groaned, out of annoyance rather than pain. The strikes were strong, but not strong enough to put me down. The mystery slayer just stood above me, waiting to see what I would do. . .


Gritting my teeth, I lunged forward in an attempt to tackle him, but to my surprise, he caught me by my throat. I was held off my feet as he strangled me with one hand.


"By the Gods, you've gotten weak!"

"Are you about finished, sister?" I asked, my voice ragged.

"Pathetic!" She spat, tossing me to the ground.

"What the hell are you doing here, Abby? Shouldn't you be in the capital, servicing the king?" I asked, rubbing my throat.


"Stopping you from drunkenly attacking innocent people, apparently!" Abby shouted at me, before I was belted with another punch to the stomach, this time hurling me into a nearby tree, splintering the thick trunk.

"Innocent?! Just by existing they are committing a crime in your king's eyes!" I shouted, looking around for any signs of them.

"We are miles away from them now! I know as well as you do that they didn't hurt anyone!" Abby said, turning and walking into the trees.

"Let's go, my camp is just up ahead." She called over her shoulder.

"Hmm. . .As much as I would love to see what the "employment" of the king affords you. . I'm going to have to respectfully decline." I said, straightening my cloak and turning the other way.

"It isn't a choice!" She said, in a tone I knew all too well. "You are a fugitive from the crown, and you are in my custody now! Either you cooperate with me, or you go back to the capital to face execution!"

"You revere your beloved king so much, that you would deliver your own brother for execution?" I asked, sarcastically.

"I swore my allegiance to the capital and to the gods!" She seethed.

"A fool's allegiance that I'm sorry you fell for! " I quipped, as I began to walk in the opposite direction.

A second later, Abigail appeared in front of me.

"You're right! A giant slayer with no purpose at all is so much more noble!" She spat, placing her hand on my shoulder and stopping me in my tracks.

"Get out of my way, sister." I said, my voice deadly serious.

"Or what? You're drunk off of your ass! Even if you weren't, you know you can't beat me! You never have!" Abby challenged, shoving me back a step.

. . . She was right. I had never beaten my older sister in a fight. Since we were kids, she had always been the superior fighter, over both myself, and our younger brother. A fact that she never let us forget growing up.

I weighed my options. Either refuse her, and most definitely get beaten to a pulp, and hauled back to the capital to face execution. Or. . Hear her out, wait until the precise moment, and make my escape.

"Alright. I'll go with you. . " I said, calmly.

Abby narrowed her eyes at me.

I had no time to react, before she closed her eyes and a moment later her right fist began to glow red. In a flash, the fist slammed into my chest. Not with any force at all, and her fist lost its glow immediately.

"What was that about?!" I asked, rubbing my chest uncomfortably.

A moment later, a symbol of the gods that I didn't recognize began to glow red under my skin.


"It's a tracking prayer. A new one that we had the gods create. I figure it will be useful for when you inevitably try to double cross me or abandon your duties." Abby informed me with a knowing look.



"And just what duties are those?" I asked, annoyed with having been tricked.



"Gathering information and investigating occurrences." She said, as she began to walk again.



"Could you be any more vague?" I complained as I followed her through the woods, still in the pouring rain.



"We are looking for anything that can lead to the assassin that killed the giant king." She said, as she stepped over a fallen log.



"The giant king is dead?!" I questioned in disbelief.


"That is common knowledge brother. . . . Have you been living under a rock for the past 3 months? " she said, her voice on the edge of reprimand.



"Actually yes, I have! News doesn't travel very fast out here. It's the perfect place to avoid assassinations and the conflicts of the crown. Maybe you should try it!" I said, giving my sister attitude, but she just ignored it.

"Yes, he is dead. Not the end of the world, except that it was a slayer who killed him. And not just any slayer. . . . The giants claim that he was clad in the colors of the crown!" Abby explained, as she pushed through an especially thick shrub, revealing her camp on the other side.

It was covered 360 degrees by thick brush, so that humans couldn't see her still burning campfire. Her horse, Jasmine was tied up to a tree near the outer edge, and there were 2 good sized tents set up.

"You are in with the crown. . . . Who was it?" I asked, sitting down next to the fire and taking my sword from my back.

"It wasn't the king! He doesn't know who would want the giant king dead." She replied, going into one of the tents. "Obviously humans would have no reason to want to start a war with the giants."

I really wasn't interested in the politics of it all. I had only ever heard stories of the giant king. He was a legend in both the human world and the giant world. While there had been countless human kings since the beginning of creation, there had only ever been one giant king.

He was said to be the original giant. I don't know if that was true or not, but it didn't matter. He was dead now, and a representative of the human kingdom was thought responsible

"So why doesn't the king just deny that the assassin was sent by him?" I asked, feigning interest.

"He has. He sent word the moment he heard about it. Apparently, It made no difference." My sister said, coming out from the tent with what looked like seasoned meat.

"What do you mean "It made no difference?" It's not like the humans are at war right now."


"True. They aren't at war with the giant army. That is because all of the soldiers are busy in a war with other giant clans. But, that is what brings us all the way to the outer rim." She said, placing the meat on a grill she had over the fire.

"The assassination didn't go unnoticed. The whole of the giant world is outraged, and we are expecting the worst. There is talk of an invasion force being formed in the capital."

"And what do you and one partner plan to do about it?" I inquired, yawning with boredom as much as exhaustion.

"The invasion is just a rumor. The people are still upset with the king for leading them to war with the other clans, so organizing a force to deal with the humans in his name is risky business. That being said, the signs are pointing toward a different, more dangerous threat." She told me, pacing back and forth as she had done ever since we were children.

"Which is?"

"The three daughters. . "

"The three daughters?" I repeated, slightly intrigued as this was the 2nd time I had heard this name.

"The three daughters of the giant king?" She said, like I should know who they were.

I just shook my head.

She just stared at me in disbelief.

"Do I need to spell everything out for you?!" She shouted angrily.

I wasn't phased in the least.

"In case you didn't notice, I don't give a shit about any of that type of stuff, ok? I'm out this far because I DON'T want to know or be involved." I said flatly, using a stick to poke at the grilling meat.

"Well you are going to give a shit when one by one every village in the kingdom is flattened from the outer rim to the capital! Eventually there will be nowhere left to run to! Is that what you want?!" Abby barked at me.

"Is that what anyone wants? Of course not! But either way, it's not my fight."

"It is now! You're a fugitive from the crown, and I captured you. You are to do as I command until I feel that your debt has been repayed, or I can just kill you right now!" She said matter of factly.

"You're talking mighty casually about executing your own brother. Is this what the crown has done to my dear, loving older sister?" I spat with a smirk.

It only served to infuriate her.

"This isn't some joke Ant! If the three daughters are here, it's already the beginning of the end for humans!"

"Exactly. . FOR HUMANS!" I said loudly.

"We were created to protect humans! And, lest you forget, it was a slayer who killed the king. You can bet your blade that they won't stop until all of us are made an example of!"

That instantly reminded me of the slayer I had seen crucified outside the village.

I reached into my pocket, and retrieved the king's badge. Without warning, I hurled it at her. She caught and examined it.

Her face went red with rage.

"Who did you steal this from!?" She demanded.

It was well known that the king's badge was highly valuable all over the kingdom, and even more so in the land of the giants. Thefts were not uncommon as all representatives of the crown possessed them, and those individuals didn't always live long lives.

"I didn't steal it. He didn't need it anymore." I said coldly.

It didn't help the situation.

"So you killed him then?!" Abby accused me, and I could tell I was a few choice words away from getting beaten to a pulp.

"Someone killed him. . . I didn't see who."

My sister's face went from red to white. She clutched the badge to her chest.

"Who was he?" I asked, turning and flipping the meat.

"He. . . .was my partner." She said, just staring blankly at the muddy ground as the rain continued to pour.

I felt a brief twinge of sympathy, but the moment passed.

"Well. . . . I'm sorry." Was all the condolence I offered her.

As slayers, death was nothing rare. We were created to bring it, and conditioned to have no fear of it. With the life span of giants, you live to see the birth and death of untold lives as you drift through human lifetimes just following whatever path you choose to follow.

"Tell me everything." Abigail said, sitting down next to me.

"There isn't much to tell. I was searching a different village for Jacob, following the rumors, but when I got there the town was completely empty. Or so I thought. In that village. . . " I started, thinking about that whole situation.

"In that village. . . A female giant took all of the adults, and gave them a stone burial."

Abby's eyes got wide as she listened to my tale.

"I rescued the children from the village, and decided to go in a different direction. Just my luck, the next village gets attacked too. I woke up in the middle of the night, and went outside to chaos. Pouring rain and smoke. Before I could find the giant's location, I was blindsided and trampled. . . . When I came to, the whole village had been wiped out. Not a soul left alive and not a building left standing."


"And where was Lemus?" She asked, calmly.

"I found him at the entrance to the city."

"Did he say anything to you?" She questioned, with a glint of hope in her eyes.

"No, he was already gone. The attacker. . . . Took their time with him. Every bone broken. Then, they ran him through with his own blade and pinned him to a tree." I shared, solemnly.

I knew what would come next, with Abigail being my sister. One of two things. .

Through the rain, I heard her breathing heavily through her nostrils and I knew her rage was building. Then came the inevitable question.

"Were you drunk?" She asked, her voice eerily calm.

"Abby I-

"WERE YOU. . DRUNK?"

There was no talking my way out of this.

"Abby. . Liste-

In the blink of an eye, Abby caught me with a massive punch to the face. I bounced off the trunk of a far tree, before whirling to the ground. My body ached from the impact but I didn't have time to complain as Abby's hand snaked into my hair and pulled my head up.

"You could have helped save a village full of innocent humans, but instead they were all killed because you were drunk!" She screamed at me, and a downward punch smashed my face into the dirt.

"Lemus might still be alive!" She screamed, kicking me in the stomach and lofting me 10 feet in the air before I slammed to the ground.

"It's. . . Not my fault!" I gasped, holding my stomach as I tried to get to my feet.

In an instant, she was right in front of me and my body served as her punching bag for a right left right combo, that dropped me to my knees.

My body wasn't conditioned to take a beating like this. While it had been two years since I had even drawn my sword, it had been even longer since I had gone full bore with a giant or another slayer.

I did the only logical thing, and yielded, covering the back of my head with my hands in a position of surrender.

To my relief, Abigail decided not to end my life, and I looked up just in time to see her disappear into her tent. Pathetically, I crawled back to the fire and just layed down flat on my back next to it.
Chapter 3 by Stevie
I lay on the ground, recovering from my abusive sister's tantrum. I knew she would blame me as soon as I found out I was in the same village as her partner. The truth is, it wouldn't have made a difference. I wouldn't have fought there anyway.



My brother and I didn't fight anymore. We had both seen and dealt our fair share of death and decided we had had enough. For us, keeping our heads down, and our identities a secret was our everyday.


I ate some of the meat that was still on the grill and tended to the fire, keeping it stoked even in the downpour. I could feel my body begin to recover from the beating just as the rain finally stopped some time later.

Not long after, Abigail emerged from her tent. She seemed more calm now, and sat down on the log beside me.

"Come here." Was all she said to me, pointing to the gap between her legs.

I knew what she wanted and begrudgingly sat down in front of her. She produced a knife and began to trim my hair. Long strands fell to the ground until my hair was as short as it had been in years.

"I want you to bed early. You have a long journey ahead of you tomorrow." She told me, and it didn't sound like it was negotiable.

"Abby, I need to find Jacob! I don't have time to handle your petty little errands." I argued.

"Well this mission will be perfect for you! I want you to investigate a village 50 miles from here where people have reportedly gone missing and never returned. Jacob might be there."

"Are you referring to Ellenworth? People have been going missing there for the last 20 years. Everyone in the area knows better than to venture there. There is zero possibility that Jacob would be there. That and the time line doesn't match your "Three daughters" arrival. It's a fool's errand." I said sternly, hoping Abigail would believe me and change her mind.

It didn't work.

"None the less, you are going. We haven't any clues as to the whereabouts of the youngest sister, Juliette. Any information I can gather to fill in the picture and condition of this countryside will help." She replied, as she finished cutting my hair and moved to shaving my face.

I didn't argue further. My sister was as stubborn as they came. She also seemed to get satisfaction out of bossing myself and our younger brother around. It was something we were just used to. Besides. . . I needed time to figure out how I was going to lift the tracking prayer that was currently glowing in my chest.

20 minutes later, Abigail finished with me and released me. We both just stared into the fire for a while, neither of us feeling the need to say anything. Out of habit, I reached into my cloak and retrieved the liquor that was stashed there. I just about had it to my lips when. . .


"What do you think you're doing?" She asked, an angry, disgusted look on her face.

I just looked her off, before taking a defiant swig.

Not even a second later, the glass bottle was shattered in my hand, as Abigail had thrown the shaving knife threw it.

"You are done drinking! Nevermind your inability to help anyone in that village, and threatening to kill a man and his family earlier! Your senses are as slow as they have ever been! Your connection to the gods is weak! You wouldn't last 5 minutes with an average commoner giant, let alone a soldier or heaven forbid, one of the three daughters!"

Honestly, everything she said went in one ear and out the other. I had my emergency bottle still in my cloak and I would attend to once I retreated to my tent. As long as I wasn't drunk in the morning, Abigail would be none the wiser.

I said nothing to acknowledge her, and stood, before picking up my sword and walking to the tent.

"Goodnight sister." I said, before disappearing inside the tent.

Morning came and went. After agreeing upon my return in a maximum of 7 days time I set off for Ellenworth. It really was somewhere I didn't want to be. It was infamous for travelers never returning from there. Nobody knew why. Infiltrating the city would be easy enough, but staying hidden would be a problem.

I promised my sister that I would only get what information I could, and not cause any trouble. Giant slayers had become masters of staying under the radar after the call to the capital so it was just operation as usual for me.

Honestly I didn't know what I was walking into. The fact that nobody ever returned from the city was a little unsettling, but I wasn't too worried about it. I had tangled with some of the biggest monster's and lived to tell about it.

Not as surprising as before, the road that led to Ellenworth was completely deserted. It would make for an added challenge to sneak into the city. Luckily, the city was surrounded by forest, which meant I would have some cover to slip in unnoticed.

It had been longer than 20 years since I had been to the village. The rumors didn't keep me away, but the fact that it was one of furthest most cities from the capital meant that it was an optimal hiding spot for every degenerate, and outlaw. Not ideal when you are trying not to fight or draw your blade.


As I neared the village, i noticed 2 things. One, the city had grown. . . . A lot. It looked on par with any of the biggest cities in the kingdom. I had been gone a long time, but cities didn't just grown to be this big naturally.

2nd, was the wall. A massive 15 foot stone wall had been erected around the entire city. Only one way in or out.

For humans anyway.

Climbing the wall wouldn't be an issue. It was the watch towers that had me concerned. It was odd to say the least, but it did shine some light on why nobody ever returned. . . Or should I say "escaped". The place looked like a giant prison.

I merely observed for the first hour or two, staying out of view in the tree branches above the wall. At first glance, it appeared to be a city like any other, but the more I studied, the more I began to understand the inner workings of it.

The people weren't. . . . Interacting naturally with each other. Their actions were almost mechanical in nature. As if something was driving them. Nobody was just "In the streets". Everyone was doing some sort of job, which was rare no matter what village you visited. There were always some lazy bystanders just loitering in the street.

But not here. The guards made sure of it.

The guards. .

That was another oddity.

Every group of workers had one or two overseers. No one was allowed to stop working for more than a moment, before the guards punished them as of their own lives depended on it. The guard towers, which were sprinkled along the wall ever 500 feet or so helped them keep watch.

The fact that nobody has ever returned from this place in 20 years spoke volumes o it's security. And now. . . I was about to enter willingly.

The last design feature I noticed was a massive building in the direct center of town. It looked less new than the wall, but still newer than any of the surrounding buildings and huts. . .

Curious.

I finally decided I had seen enough to safely enter the city, and when I was sure that the people in the guard towers were occupied, I lept to the top of the wall and then down to the ground below.

Glancing around to make sure nobody had seen me, I made my way down a narrow alley between two very long 1 story buildings. I hid in the shadows as I crept toward the center of town. I figured the best place to start was the completely suspicious giant building.

As I moved cautiously, groups of workers combed the streets doing various jobs. With precision timing and the help of the incredible speed that slayers possess, I was able to get within two blocks of the giant building in the center. The problem was, by this stage the population was so dense that there was no way I could sneak through unnoticed.

Another item of note was the population. More diverse than I had ever seen. Usually everyone in a village reflected the part of the kingdom they were in, but here. . . . People from the desert region, the sea ports, the frozen North mountains, all intertwined and seemingly forced into-


"Are you new to Ellenworth, mister?" Came a voice above me.

I was shaken from my inner dialogue to see a young girl sitting on the edge of the rooftop swinging her feet and looking down at me with curiosity on her face.

I said nothing, deciding it was best to let her take the lead and talk my way through it accordingly.

"Cuz' if you are, I can take you to get your assignment! That's worth 3 whole credits!" She said excitedly, holding up 3 fingers.


"I would love to, but I'm actually just looking for a hotel right now." I said politely, as if I had no idea what was going on there.

"What's a "hotel"? She asked, confused.

"It's a place where you can pay to sleep for the night. ." I said, a little surprised that she didn't know that.


"You don't have to pay, silly! Everyone just stays in the barracks with their work group! It's super fun! All my friends are there! Hey, maybe if we ask Emelia, she will assign you to my work group and I can show you around!" The girl exclaimed, standing up.

"Emelia?" I questioned, knowing I was on the right track to really learning something.

"Yeah! She is leader of the city! She gives everyone their jobs and keeps the city safe from bandits and villains!"

"That sounds pretty nice of her! Just what does this Emelia look like?"

"Umm. . " The girl said, deep in thought. "She has. . Twirly dark brown hair. . . And brown eyes. . She always wears really nice clothes. . . And long brown boots!" The girl rattled off.

". . . . Nothing else?" I asked, looking for the most obvious characteristic.

She thought for a moment. .

"Nope! That's it! I think if we hurry we can meet her today! C'mon, I'll take you!" She motioned for me to follow her.

"I. . .uhh, have some other things I need to do first. Why don't I come find you tomorrow and we can go meet her, huh?" I said in a soft voice, the way a parent talks to their child.

To my surprise, her face shown inner struggle. Like she was deciding what to do. Then she spoke.

"The rules are : If anyone who is new refuses to go to Emelia, I'm supposed to call the guards." She recited from memory.

Before I could comprehend what she was saying and tell her not to, she was already screaming her head off for the guards.

A split second later I heard the familiar sound of running footsteps on cobble stone, and a moment later I was surrounded on both sides of the alley by guards.

They wore only the lightest of armor, but their weapons all looked to be matching and of the highest quality. When you're a slayer, you know that you never REALLY have to do as humans command. Truth be told, in my prime I could wipe out half a village with one swing of my sword. But. . . I learned that I often gained access to places and knowledge I wouldn't have otherwise found, by letting them have control sometimes.

And so I went through the routine. Letting them close in on me. They put me in cuffs and the lead guard awarded the girl a voucher for 2 rations. Next I was dragged down into the lowest level of a building across the street from the giant one in the center.

On this level was, just as I suspected. . . A jail. There were what looked to be various workers locked down there, in various conditions of health. The whole place smelled of sickness and misery.

The guards led me to the last cell on the right. There was another man, who appeared to be sleeping, leaning up against the wall in there already. His face and head were covered by his cloak and I didn't get a good look at him. They rudely shoved me in, before locking the door and leaving.


I made myself comfortable, leaning against the adjacent wall to the man and closed my eyes as well. There was no telling how long I would have to be there, but the city only had a week for me to find out it's secrets before big sis would supposedly come to tear it apart looking for me.


I didn't have to wait long. The man in the cell with me decided to run his mouth almost immediately.


"Well what do we have here? A fresh faced baby boy come to join Emelia's army!" He said, his voice greasy sounding and dripping with sarcasm. I didn't know a thing about him but he had the vibe of someone who belonged right where he was.


I decided to see what he knew.


"Emelia's army?" I asked, feigning confusion.


"Yessir! That's just a little name we workers like to call ourselves!" He exclaimed proudly.


"And just who is "Emelia"?


He chuckled, and cleared his throat like he had something important to say.


"Oh my! You're in for a real treat when you meet Emelia! She is our lovely, 100 foot tall hostess for the past 20 years.


There it was. The admission that this Emelia character, was indeed a giantess. . . I didn't know what I intended to do with that information yet, but it was a start.



"100 feet tall?" I asked, conveying disbelief.


"Yessir. 100 feet tall. . . Well, 90 feet. . But don't let her hear you say that. Heavier than anything you can imagine." The man said, describing this woman like some type of mythical beast.



"So when you said "Emelia's army". . . What do you mean by that?"



The man was silent for a moment before he spoke.


"It's only logical I guess. . . Why be an ordinary housewife in the land of the giants, when you can be a queen amongst humans? And that is exactly what Emelia did. She showed up out of the blue one day, and that was the end of it!" He said, his voice bitter.


"So what, you're slaves now? All of you?" I probed.


"Yeah. . . All of us." He answered, his voice trailing off as he no doubt thought back to his days of freedom.



"You guys didn't try to fight her?" I questioned, adding some passion to my voice to gauge the state of morale in this jail.


That question was met with laughter from every soul in there.


"You don't FIGHT a giant, kid. . . You hide out until they lose interest, then count your losses." He said, solemnly.


"But there are so many of you! Surely you have the numbers!" I tried again, just trying to see what spark could be lit for the sake of it.


"It's been tried!" He shouted harshly, his anger boiling up. "You can only see your friends and family crushed so many times before you start to question how bad you really have it. . "


I let the silence be for a second, before I spoke again.


"Well. . . . Did you try to contact a giant slayer?" I asked, innocently.


This earned me even harder laughter.



"You have a lot to learn about this place kid! Primarily. . . There is no calling for help. Why? Because nobody, nor information is allowed to escape. Emelia makes sure of that! All the outside world knows is that you come here, you don't come back. Even the guards are just slaves who she is threatening. Do what she says at any cost, and she won't see fit to pay your happy little home a visit."

That made perfect sense. The guards were forced to abuse the general population in order to keep their own loved ones safe.


"Even if we could ask for help. . . You think those abominations would lift a finger to help us? Yeah right! They are all too busy in the capital having tea parties with the king! Plus, all the slayers that did refuse to go to the capital have either been rounded up and executed or crushed by giants by now. No. . . Unfortunately, we are stuck in this little predicament until the lovely Madam Emelia finally dies naturally. And what a glorious day that will be!" The man ranted, and it was met with cheers from the other prisoners.


"Don't worry though, kid. You get used to it here. . .
Chapter 4 by Stevie
We said no more as time drug on. Time moves even slower when you have more than enough power to break free of any human jail. Such is life I guess.


Eventually, the new day came and with it. . . . Sweltering heat. It was almost as if this prison had been specifically designed to bake it's inhabitants. The sun didn't reach us underground, and usually the room would have been cool, but somehow we were melting. While giant slayers were resistant to the cold, heat was the complete opposite for us.



"Does it always get. . . This hot in here?" I panted.


"It never used to. . . But it hasn't rained here since the day Emelia arrived. The gods are punishing us!" The man in my cell answered.


"It hasn't rained in 20 years?" I repeated, no longer playing a character and genuinely shocked.


"No. We have to get most of our water from the wells, but Emelia claims all of that for herself. Not that she cares too much about us, but she allows a wagon to go to the river to get water for the city 3 times a day. . Rationed."

I didn't respond, as the heat just settled in on us. It became so bad, that I was just about to get up and leave when 2 guards finally came for me. I let them rough me up, before they forced me back up the steps and across the street into a human sized door to the giant building.

I was led through a few narrow hallways, and finally out into a large open court.

There she was. . .

Unimpressed, I layed eyes on the giantess known as Emelia.

Even with the room as big as it was, it didn't feel large enough to house a giant. Our backs were nearly against the back wall, and we were standing below the crossed boot of the giantess. It felt like this was done on purpose, so that she could easily dispatch of anyone who displeased her.

She looked much as the little girl had described. An average looking woman who appeared to be in Her late 30's early 40s (human years). Her twirly brown hair was the result of some type of curler She must use. Her attire was that of a bar maiden, her ample cleavage barely contained by the dress. She wore leather boots that reached up to her calves.

Emelia was sat atop a lavish throne, that no doubt she had forced the citizens to construct. I had to admit that it was beautifully made and honestly rivaled anything I had seen in the land of the giants.

She paid us no mind as she was talking with a human woman who stood on a wooden platform that reached up to the armrest of the throne. It appeared like she was deciding on a fabric for something, thumbing through samples.

I took this time to look around the giant room. The walls were adorned with various art, tapestries, trinkets and toys from all over the kingdom. She must have confiscated all the items from every human she was keeping in her servitude. I also noticed that the items were on all the walls EXCEPT the one behind us. . . Below my feet, the cobblestone was noticeably cracked.

This woman really was living like a queen here, as humans scampered around her feet like mice. She wasn't even threatening anyone at the moment, but the tension was high in the room. It felt like everyone's life was in danger, just by being near her.

It took a full 15 minutes of nobody interrupting her before Emelia finally noticed us.

"Is he here for assignment or punishment?" She asked casually, as she continued to look through fabric samples.

"Assignment, M'lady." Said one of the guards, sheepishly.

"And. . . Has he any special skills?" She interviewed, not even looking at us.

"We. . . " The guard began, but thought better of it. "NO, M'lady."

"Hmm. . " She hummed, to herself before her gaze was finally turned to face us.

The moment her eyes turned to us, the guards knelt down and bowed their heads. It took them a second to realize that I wasn't bowing with them, as I stood with a blank look on my face.

Emelia narrowed her eyes at me, and her nostrils flared, almost imperceptibly.

"Kneel!" She thundered, and it made all of our ears ring with the sound of her voice.

I felt the guards grab my arms and try to drag me down, but for the first time, I actually resisted them with a fraction of my true strength and they couldn't budge me.

Emelia pursed her lips, and exhaled loudly through her nose. In the blink of an eye, she uncrossed her legs and put her boots on the floor, shaking the room and rattling items on the wall. Her hand stretched out and knocked the guard on my left aside like a piece of garbage. He was thrown against the side wall, and there was the distinct sound of bones crunching.

I foolishly thought that was the end of it, but I was wrong. From there, the hand curled and delivered a vicious flick to my torso, catching my ribs and stomach. A normal human would have been completely crippled by the blow and even I wasn't able to just shrug it off.

The force of the flick involuntarily doubled me over to my hands and knees in a forced kneeling position as I gasped raggedly for air.

This pleased her.

"That's more like it!" She said, smuggly. "Really! How hard is it to make someone kneel?! You guards are worthless!" She berated as she sat back in her throne.

I decided not to stir the pot, and stayed kneeling. Not for fear of what this giantess would do to me, but for fear of what my sister would do to me if I was to get into a fight with this giantess in front of me and in turn destroy half the city in the process.

The guard she had smacked lay motionless and only quiet moans came from him. The other man had begun to tremble next to me. His priority had changed from forcing me to yield, to just plain surviving the day.

Emelia kept me waiting as she chatted idly with the human woman at her side. She laughed and smiled as they discussed decor touches I had no interest in. Finally, I lost my patience and stood up. I just stared blankly at her while she continued to ignore everyone.


When she finally did glance at me, her face was less than excited. She scowled and was about to scream at me, when suddenly a man appeared in the human opening to the chamber.

He was an slender man, who appeared to be in his early 20's. He had his hair neatly parted and slicked down. He wore a fancy silk shirt and black trousers, atop black boots.

None of that was important though. . .

What WAS important is what he was carrying. In his hands he carried a sword.

My sword.

The man shot me a look, and I couldn't tell if it was fear on his face or something else. Either way, what he had to say couldn't wait and he interuppted whatever Emelia was about to yell at me.

"M'lady. . . M'lady! There is something you need to know! Something about this worker!" He exclaimed as he rushed in.

Emelia sighed, as if this was a common occurrence and she was tired of it.

"What is it Julius?. ." She asked, boredom in her tone.

"This man. . . . I have reason to believe that he is a wanted fugitive from the crown!" He began, somewhat out of breath.

"And?. . . Half the work force is wanted fugitives from the crown! As long as they don't disrupt proceedings, it doesn't matter!" She said, annoyed.

"Yes I know M'lady! But this man. . . This man matched the description of a wanted giant slayer!" The man shouted, pointing at me.

The room fell silent. Everyone just stared at me. All the humans were in awe, but Emelia's response was what surprised me.

In the midst of the silence. . . She burst out laughing.

The man, "Julius" just continued to look concerned as he waited out her laughing fit.

"Is. . . Is that really what you are all worked up about?!" She laughed, wiping a tear from her eye

"Yes! His face matches the wanted poster and so does his weapon!" He exclaimed, holding my sword up above his head.

"Julius! Are you stupid or something?" Emelia asked, leaning down and getting her face closer to him.

"Well I-" he began, nervously.

"This little worm is NOT a giant slayer!" Emelia proclaimed confidently, pointing a giant finger at me.


"M'lady?" Julius questioned, unsure of her logic.

"You obviously know nothing about giant slayers! First of all, all giant slayers are at least 10 feet tall! Does he LOOK 10 feet tall to you, Julius?" She demanded, motioning to me.

I had to hold back my laughter upon hearing this. The Truth is, nobody outside the capital really knew anything about giant slayers anymore. Our abilities and attributes had been told and retold one million times and since we moved to the capital, time warped every detail about us to the point where 95% of what people thought, was untrue.

"Well. . . No. ." Julius said, suddenly unsure of himself.

"Exactly! Plus, giant slayers are as strong as giants! Do you think the guards would have been able to capture him if he were as strong as a giant?!" She boomed.

"He could be hiding his true strength!" Julius suggested, frustration in his voice.

"Ha!" Emelia snorted. "And what possible reason could he have for doing that? Giant slayers challenge giants directly, not sneak around like pathetic, weak little cowards!" She declared, just making facts up as she went along.

"I'm not sure what his intentions are. All I know is that he is a dead match for the description of the giant slayer! I'm just trying to protect you!" Julius answered, struggling to keep calm.

"You. . .protect me?!" Emelia exclaimed, as she laughed harder than ever before. "Remind me again which one of us is the size of a field mouse?"

Julius' face went red as Emelia humiliated him in front of everyone.

"You've seen me crush countless bandit gangs, and yet you think I suddenly need "protection" from some little piece of commoner garbage? You insult me!" Emelia continued her assault on Julius.

He hung his head now.

Emelia noticed, and leaned down again.

"Aww, did I hurt your little feelings?" She taunted, shoving him with one finger. "Look. . . I'm sorry, but I don't have time for your nonsense today Julius. I just want to finalize the cloth for my banquet hall, and rest today. You are to see to the food delivery, and then wait in my chambers."

Julius said nothing, which irritated Emelia even more.

"Fine Julius! You want peace of mind? Here!" She shouted, and in the blink of an eye she made her move.

Her giant boot lifted over my head, and descended like a flash of lighting.

Every human's assumption was that because of their size, giants were slow and clumsy but it was quite the opposite.

Their size helped them move far greater distances than humans in no time at all.

"See? Problem solved!" She said matter of factly, as she felt the familiar feeling of blood, guts and bone under her foot.

It wasn't until the dust clear that she got the disappointment I had in store for her. While she HAD crushed a man with ease under her sole. . . .it wasn't the one she had intended.

Everyone looked down to see if the giant slayer had been demolished, but their jaws dropped when they saw that I had clearly avoided her stomp, a feat that must not have happened in the 20 years since Emelia came to power. Unfortunately, the other guard wasn't so lucky and his remains splattered myself, and the wall some feet behind me as the ringing of the stomp echoed off the stone walls.

It was at that moment that I realized why there were no items on that particular wall. . .

And why the floor was cracked only in this area under the giants feet.

The room remained silent as the humans and the giantess just stared at me. Silence hung in the air. It took a moment, but Emelia's mouth slowly pulled closed and formed into a scowl. Her hands, closed into fists and just like before, she was about to scream something at some incompetent fool when Julius intervened.

His voice rang out with the weight of 20 years worth of oppression riding on my actions.

"SAVE US, GIANT SLAYER!" He screamed, shattering the silence as he hurled my sword towards me.

My senses, heightened from finally not being in a drunken stupor felt Emelia attack, but I needed to wait to dodge until I had my sword.

I payed the price.

As soon as the sheathed blade touched my finger tips, I was kicked as hard as she could from her seated position. My body offered little resistance, and as such I was hurled back, violently smashing clear through the bloody brick wall and out into the street.

Emelia, infuriated, made a grab for Julius, but he narrowly escaped and sprinted down the hallway in the opposite direction to which he came.

"Guards! Bring me that traitor, Julius!" She screamed, pointing in the direction he had run. "I need to deal with this so called "giant slayer!"

She rose from her throne, and turned to leave through a giant wooden door behind her throne. It was a miracle that she didn't crush anyone else as guards and servants scrambled around her feet.


It took me a second to get my bearings after the brutal kick. Not only had I smashed through the closest wall, but I had flown across the street, and become inbedded in the wall of another building.


My body screamed it's protest from my front and back as I tried to unwedge myself from the wall. In front of me, I felt, saw and heard Emelia emerge from her massive home. She stepped out into the street, crushing a hay cart, and sending the horse attached to it into a panic.

Her eyes scanned the small crowd that had gathered, until she spotted me. I could do nothing but squirm as her outline blocked out the sun and her hand moved to seize me. She was in no way gentle as she grabbed me, along with chunks of the wall in her hand.

I was able to clutch my sword to my chest before I was wrapped in her fist and lifted skyward. Pieces of brick and dust fell back to the street below, as she began to leverage and squeeze the life out of me.

One fact about giant slayers that is of note in this particular instance, is our resistance to being crushed. While we weren't completely impervious to it, our resistance was based on the energy our body stored. That went for all damage we sustained. We were created to be able to take the type of abuse that giants could dish out, and still continue to fight.

That being said, Emelia soon realized that she couldn't outright crush me inside her fist, and while she was suffocating me, I wasn't about to crumble like every human that had dared stand up to her so far.

With my arms trapped against my chest, I couldn't use my strength to break free of her hand, but after a few seconds of impass between us, she relented and reared back, before I was thrown brutally into the side of a guard tower on the corner of the block.

This attack really didn't hurt as much as getting kicked through the wall, and I was able to just shake it off, but before I could stand I heard giant footsteps outside the tower.

I looked up, and caught a glimpse of Emelia looming large above the 50 foot tall structure through the hole I created. All I saw next was her palms crashing down, as she began to slowly cave the tower in on me, paying no mind to the guards in the tower. Again the rubble hindered me just enough that I couldn't escape, and I was buried beneath the ruin of the tower. Again. . .this didn't feel great, but I was still in the fight.

Beyond the pure weight of brick and stone, I felt her pushing and packing the debris with her hands until she was satisfied that I wasn't escaping alive.

Outside the tower, two guards had captured Julius and had since dragged him out into the street and forced him to his knees. He began to tremble as Emelia approached, having finished off the giant slayer without receiving so much as a scratch. She didn't look pleased, and even though he was her most trusted assistant, he knew she would most likely kill him for this infraction.

"Give him to me!" She seethed, as she cast her long shadow over the 3 humans. The guards shoved him forward on to his stomach and backed away like they had fed him to a den of lions They knew he had zero chance of escape now.

Julius did the only thing he could. . . He begged for his life.

"M'lady! I am so sorry! I. . . I don't know what came over me! I was bewitched by the slayers power! Please forgive me mistress!" He pleaded, crawling over and planting pathetic kisses on the toe of her boot. He knew that being called mistress pleased her, so he added that to help his chances.

She scowled down on him, but allowed him to continue living uncrushed for the moment.

"Forgive you? FORGIVE YOU!?" She bellowed, her anger rising. "You decided to betray me after all I've done for you! Protection and special privileges for you and your family!, favor in my political choices!" She ranted.

Julius was more afraid now then he had ever been. He had seen Emelia angry before. Not many times, but enough to know that she would likely flatten him into the cobblestone and get a new assistant. Simple as that.

"The answer is no Julius! You will pay for your treachery. . Pay with your life!" She said, pointing down at her terrified assistant. "Say goodbye, worm!" She spat, pushing him backward as she lifted her giant boot into the air.

Julius put his hands over his head in the fetal position, only able to await that most final of fates. He closed his eyes as the boot dropped, silently praying to the gods for any sort of miracle and just waiting for his life to be over.

But the crush never came.

As Julius' heart continued to pound, it was only made worse by the fact that nothing actually happened.

He opened his eyes, and couldn't believe what he was seeing. The giant slayer! The giant slayer had stopped Emelia's stomp dead with his bare hands. He was steadily struggling to hold her as Julius just stared, mouth agape.


"What. . . What is happening!" Emelia demanded to know as her foot failed to meet it's Mark and sort of floated awkwardly around 7 feet off the ground.

She tried adding weight, but she didn't have enough to get it to the ground. After trying for a moment, she was forced to retract her foot and see what was going on.

She pulled back to reveal the giant slayer, unscathed and protecting the traitor Julius.

The crowd that had gathered erupted with cheers as they saw the giant slayer still standing. By this time, the whole city had come to a standstill as their future, and past 20 years clashed in the street.


I. . . . I couldn't let him die. I don't really know why, but call it the Gods. In a burst of speed, I was over the man, but under the giantess, as she moved to crush the human for his rebellion.

After a battle of strength, she finally stepped back and gave me a moment to breathe. Against all odds, and in poor character, the guards once again seized him. Apparently there was no confidence in my ability to go toe to toe with Emelia so they chose her side. In their defense, I hadn't really landed a blow yet.

It was time to change that.

Emelia stared daggers at me as I walked causally to the center of the street, before squaring up to face her. The crowd was still cheering and shouting encouragement for me, but I still didn't know exactly what I was planning on doing.

While killing her would be the easiest and most final solution, the publicity and attention it would bring is the last thing I needed. That WE needed. Once humans knew there was an active giant slayer in the area, every city would make requests for my protection. What a drag.

On the other hand, if I could hurt her enough to scare her off, I could avoid most of the potential backlash and destruction that this battle could potentially cause.

I took a breath. Felt my senses heighten. It appeared as though Emelia was about to say something, but I never gave her the chance.

In a movement too quick for the human eye to follow, I charged forward, jumped, and hit her with my strongest punch, straight to her stomach. She let out a distorted gasp as I knocked the wind out of her and she fell to her hands and knees in the exact same way she had made me do.

"That's more like it!" I said, living in the moment as she coughed and spit a wad of saliva onto the street.

Not letting her catch her breath, I wrapped each of my hands in a strand of her hair. It looked like I was holding horse reins, and I used them as such. With a snap of my arms, I smashed Emelia's face into the cobblestone.

The force was enough to rattle the closest building, but to her credit, Emelia lifted her head from the ground, though she remained on her hands and knees.

She moaned, and though her face was shrouded by her hanging hair, I saw droplets of blood pooling below her mouth. Not giving her any chance to recover, I snapped again, harder this time.

Again her face made contact, actually putting a crack in the stones this time. I prayed that it would be enough to convince her to just leave but impressively her head rose again and she wiped her mouth on her arm.

She spit some blood, and it looked like she was going to stand, but not before I gave her one final snap. The hardest I could.


This time it stuck.


Emelia's arms buckled and she collapsed face down the moment her face hit, this time with a small splash of blood accompanying the cloud of dust that the force kicked up. The giantess lay motionless, and for a moment, the whole city was too.

I knew she was unconscious, but the rest of the city waited, holding their breath to see what she would do.


She stayed down. Blood pooling around her face.


They gave it a brief second, and then the whole city erupted in applause. I hadn't really noticed just how many people had stopped to watch, but when I turned around the street was lined front to back and so were the rooftops.

It reminded me of the good old da-


A shadow over my shoulder. . .

I had let my guard down, and now paid the price as Emelia's palm came down and smashed me like an insect. . . . And this blow. . . . She made sure that this blow hurt.


Emelia lifted her face from the dirt, revealing a bloody scowl on her grime caked face. She was slow to rise,using a nearby building for support as the crowd watched on in silence. Their one hope for liberation lay motionless on the street, seemingly crushed.

Emelia tried to stand on her own, and was successful for a moment but then swayed gently before she fell back, crashing ass first on top of the building, causing the civilians to scatter or be crushed.

Sitting stunned, Emelia raised a hand to her mouth and nose, to see how much she was bleeding. It was a substantial amount but somehow she seemed unphased by it, and again tried to stand. Chunks of the building fell away from her behind as she removed herself and stood, this time more stable.

It was at this time that she noticed a few villagers had gathered around me and were trying to get me back on my feet. She didnt allow it, reaching down and knocking them aside as she grabbed me again.


I was lifted in her fist and this time she used both hands to crush me. Unlike the first time where I had energy reserve, this time I was more tired and as such, my body was more malleable.

I could do nothing but groan as her grip tightened on me. I began to see spots as my ribs creaked and joints popped. The look of determination on her face told me that nshe was done playing around. .
Chapter 5 by Stevie
As I was mulched in Emelia's grasp, I had time to think about my future. I knew I had opportunity to escape, but it had been so long since I had used that method that I couldn't guarantee it would work.


Just as I was about to give it a try, her grip relented, and I found myself being dangled pathetically from my cloak.



"You see this, you little scrubs?!" Emelia shouted, holding me up for everyone to see. "Do you see this crumpled little man? Your so called "hero"!" She continued, giving me a shake.


"Even a "giant slayer" is no match for me! And just because SOME OF YOU DECIDED TO HELP HIM. . . . No rations for anyone for the next 7 days!" She decreed, and an audible gasp came from the crowd.


I still didn't even know what a "ration" was in this case, but apparently this was serious. I didn't have much time to contemplate it, as she lifted me high above her head. The villagers could only look on in terror as their hopes and dreams were smashed into the cobblestone along with my body.


I lay still, broken as the cobblestone beneath me. It had been so long since I had experienced the full strength of a giant, and I didn't miss it at all. Neither did my body as it twitched and spasmed without my permission. It meant my energy was just about gone. If ever I could be crushed, now was the time, and Emelia was determined to see that through.

As a giant slayer, we were created or born without a fear of death. It was imperative when your soul purpose was to fight the God's biggest and most brutal creation. As such, I wasn't afraid now. I would say I was. . . Regretful. . . If anything.

My dream was always to go out fighting toe to toe with a legendary giant. A warrior with prestige and honor. Not getting stomped out by some no name housewife playing queen in the outer rim of the human realm.

Oh well, there was no time to dwell on it because as the dust cleared I saw Emelia's boot raised and poised to stomp me into the afterlife.

The first stomp.

A small cloud of dust kicked up as her foot made contact with a sickening force that shook the entire street. I found myself in the somewhat familiar position of the bottom of a footprint. This one made of sunken stones and crushed rock. I was still conscious, and if I could catch a moment to breathe, I knew I could still probably get up, though I didn't know how far that would get me.

Then. . . . The second stomp.

It was probably my imagination, but this one seemed twice as strong as the first. Chunks of stone were blasted aside from the force, and around me women and children began to weep. The crowd began to thin, the people not wanting to be around when Emelia finished with me.

At this point, the chances of my body responding to my will alone were almost gone. I knew the next stomp would either immobilize me completely, or crush me entirely. And here it came.

I closed my eyes, accepting my fate of being flattened in the streets of Ellenworth. But. . . it never came. No bloody footprint. No stomach churning crunch. Nothing.

I opened my eyes and to my surprise, Emelia's boot was hovering a few feet above my body. A second later it was set back on the ground and she turned away from me.

Confused, I looked up to see the cause of the distraction and it was the last thing I expected.

The prisoner.

The man from last night and a group of other workers were on a nearby rooftop. Their distraction was crude at best, as they were merely hurling stones, bricks, and insults at her, but it was enough to draw her attention away for a moment.

I knew I couldn't waste the time they had bought me, and with my remaining strength, I drug myself to my feet and out of the crater.

The men on the roof scattered as Emelia made a grab for them. She snagged one, and with a simple squeeze of her fist, he was pulped and tossed aside. The remaining rebels sprinted and jumped to the ground, before running down a narrow alley to another street. Apparently Emelia wasn't fond of destroying her city haphazardly now, because she didn't smash through to pursue them. Instead she stepped around to block their escape from the other side.

I watched and listened to the thunderous footsteps of Emelia as she caught my saviors. A man's scream was silence in conjunction with a stomp and I knew he was gone. More stomps as the commotion became less and less until eventually all the shouts were silenced.


Sorrow overtook me as the tremors signaled Emelia's return. She rounded the corner and what she had in her hands made me sick. In each fist, dangling by their tattered cloaks were the men who had saved me not 3 minutes ago, their corpses mashed and flattened looking.



The ever present scowl let me know that I was ruining Emelia's day by just still being alive as she spotted me in the center of the street. Without a care, she dropped the bodies in a heap on the street, no doubt planning to string them up later as a reminder and warning to the villagers. It was at that moment that I made up my mind.


There was no letting her live.



"You just don't know when to quit, do you?!" She screamed at me, about 70 yards between us.


I didn't banter. I was building energy for what would come next. My final attack.


"How many more of my villagers need to die in the name of your tiny, pathetic, weak attempt at liberation, huh? Why do you even care what happens to them?! A giant slayer hasn't been here in 20 years, and suddenly here you are! You could have just left, but no. . You decided to stay and destroy everything! Now look at you! You're barely standing! And I think one last. . GOOD stomp ought to be enough to finally send you to the afterlife!" Emelia proclaimed, and began to close the distance.


It was time.

Reaching over my shoulder, I gripped the hilt of my sword and pulled. The blade screamed as the steel touched sunlight for the first time in 2 years. It was something I had tried to avoid, and for the most part I had been successful. Running away from fights was the only way to keep a low profile when every single battle that was witnessed by villagers only added to your legend.

Emelia was closing the gap, at only 40 yards now, when I reared back, gripped it with both hands, channeled my energy into the blade, and let loose with a vertical slash.

It was something I hadn't done in even longer than 2 years and it showed. The beam of energy that screamed from my sword was red and jagged. It tilted this way and that, rapidly growing in height on its way to its target. Ripping a trail in the stone, it rose to match Emelia's height and she was too slow to react as the beam kicked up a cloud of dust and hit it's mark.


Everything was silent. The dust made it impossible to see, and it hung in the air for an eternity. When it finally did clear, it revealed a sight that I had seen many times before. A sight that I had been running from for the past few years.

Emelia stood upright and unmoving, A blank look on her dirty face. From the front, she looked unphased by the attack, except for a thin red line that spanned from her hairline and down the center of her body.

Her clothes were ripped along this line, and hung loosely from her shoulders. The damage seemed minor, but behind her told the true story.

Although the cut on her front was thin, the gash on her back was about 5 feet wide. The exit wound of the blow left everything within 30 yards of her coated in blood. Every villager watched on, frozen in anticipation.

Emelia swayed forward gently, before she toppled backward, stiff as a board. The whole city shook as their tyrant for the last 20 years crumbled to the ground, taking several buildings with her. The silence lasted a brief moment longer as the shock settled in, before cheers and applause erupted from villagers. People seemed to come out of every crack and crevice to join in the celebration.

It would have been wise to wait and see if Emelia was down for the count, but the villagers flooded the street anyway, surrounding both myself and my fallen foe. It had been a long time since I had been given this type of reception from a city. It reminded me of the old days, when slayers were common place and could be relied upon. It felt good. Then, as if being applauded by the gods, there was a massive thunder strike, before the skies opened and it began to rain for the first time in 20 years.


In the days that followed, the city was a mess with people running around making arrangements to leave the city, clearing rubble from the streets, and disposing of Emelia's body.

It took a team of 30 horses to drag her body awkwardly to the front gate and outside the wall to a nearby clearing. There, a ceremony was held, as the whole village watched as her body was burned, as was the custom.

I spent my time recovering. My body ran out of steam shortly after the fight, and I had been brought to a medical building where the city's women kept me on 24 hour watch, attending to my every need. They kept me informed on what was going on outside the building.

Although the nurses were constantly bringing in small trinkets from the villagers as thanks, one nurse brought with her the most unexpected item. . . Julius.


"Why are you here?" I growled, and he kept his distance.

"I. . . I came to thank you!" He stammered, confused by my reaction.

"Ha! Thank me!. . . You have no idea what we've done, do you?" I asked, ominously. "What YOU'VE DONE!

"Me? I liberated the city!" He shouted defensively.

"No boy, you've doomed the city!" I replied, chuckling.

"You're delusional! Emelia is dead! We're free! People have already begun to go home to places they haven't been in years!" He argued, pointing out the window.

"Precisely! Those people go home, they tell my tale and eventually the story spreads throughout the whole outer rim and beyond! It doesn't take long before somebody worse than a bored housewife appears at your door."

"A bored housewife?! Look, I know that Emelia wasn't much for YOU to handle, but do not insult us by making light of her in front of me! She has enslaved a population, and killed our loved ones, both quickly and taking her time!" He screamed, causing a nurse to stick her head into the room.

"Listen. . . Nobody understands that better than me, but getting me involved wasn't the answer. Not right now."

"If not now, then when?! Another 2 decades? I did what I had to do!"

"You didn't think that maybe there is a reason I didn't just confront her right away?" I asked, tapping my head, telling him to use his brain.

"Yes! Because you got captured!"

At this, I laughed myself into a coughing fit.

"Kid. . . You think anyone who can kill a giant is getting captured by a bunch of amateur guards if they don't want to? I was here getting information until you decided to blow my cover."

He was silent, his face red with embarrassment.


"The best advice I can give you. . . Get out. Take yourself and whoever you have, and get away from here. This city is free for now, but there is no guarantee that it will stay that way.q" I said, as I took off my blankets and stood.

"We will pay you to stay!" Julius said, quickly stepping in front of me. "The city has money!"

"I'm not for hire. I need to get back to my camp before somebody worse than you have ever met, comes to kill me." I explained, moving him out of my way with two fingers.

". . . . . Fine. But can you live with yourself knowing you left us all here to die?" He asked, his face dead serious.

I only laughed.

"It's as simple as leaving. Convince as many people as you can. Then you can say that you truly liberated them." I told him, before walking past him and out the door.

I only had one stop to make before I was ready to leave town.

Booze.

It was as I was getting some free booze from the village merchant, that I heard a familiar voice from behind me.

"Why you slimy piece of horse waste!" The man said, a grin on his face.

I turned to face him. I recognized his voice from our brief conversation, but this was the first time seeing his face. He was a middle aged man, with a grey and black beard. His hair was trimmed short and his face was well wrinkled. He had a scar over his right eye, and appeared to be from a coastal city.

"And to what do I owe the pleasure?" I asked, calmly.

"Just wanted to say thank you. . . Giant slayer!" He said, punching me in the arm. "All that talk in the jail cell was for show wasn't it? You already knew you were going to take Emelia down!"

"I didn't come here to do that. I was here for information. Something bigger than Emelia." I told him, unsure of whether I could trust him or not.

"Believe me friend, there's not much out there bigger than Emelia!" He said with a chuckle. "I came here ten years ago with a band of 5. . . I'm the only one left and that's not from lack of trying."

"Hmm." Was all I said, as I turned away to continue choosing booze for my return trip.

"So. . . Where will you go now?" The man inquired. "If you don't mind me asking."

"Well I do mind you asking. Humans will say just about anything when inside the fist of a giant." I said, grabbing a bottle and storing it in a satchel I was given.

"You want to know why I was in that prison cell? It's because I was too useful for Emelia to just kill me! I was a barricks spy!" He proclaimed.

"Well, good for you. You made life worse for those around you." I said, and nodded to the merchant before walking away.

"No! I sheltered them from her full wrath! I was able to pick and choose what information she received!" He said, as he walked up beside me.

"I'm sure you did. But to me, that just makes you more untrustworthy. The people couldn't trust you to keep their secrets and Emelia couldn't trust you to give her the full truth." I said, bluntly.


He was quiet for a second.

"Please just bring me along with you!" He begged, grabbing me by the arm.

"No."

"You. . . You rightfully owe me a debt of gratitude! I saved your life!" He said, stamping his foot.

I only laughed and kept walking.

"Is a debt unasked for, really a debt?" I asked, giving him a wink.

"I doubt you could have asked, what with your face being smashed into the ground by Emelia's boot! You were one more stomp away from us scrubbing you out from between the cobblestone!" He shouted.

I knew he was right. I also knew it wasn't a good idea, but I it couldn't make things that much worse.

"Fine, you can come along. . . But I'm not waiting for you, and I'm not protecting you." I said, coldly. "Gather your things and meet me at the gate in 1 hour. " I finished, before I crouched and lept up to a rooftop and disappeared.

An hour later, my jaw dropped when I saw him at the gate. He was standing there in front of a beautiful covered wagon, being pulled by a pair of gorgeous horses. Not only that, but the wagon was filled with supplies from the villagers. He had a proud look on his face.

"What's that look for?" He asked laughing.

"I just didn't expect. . . All this." I said, motioning to the wagon.

"Yeah, well. . . At least SOME people around here see my worth and know of my contributions to taking down Emelia." He replied, confidently straightening his cloak.

"I'm sure they do." Was all I said, as I climbed into the back of the wagon.

"I'm glad you are so thankful! And talkative. " he spat as he climbed up into the driver's seat. "What's your name anyway?"

". . . . Ant." I said from the back of the wagon.

"Well "Ant", which way are we headed?" He asked as he drove the horses out through the gate.

"The big forest, North of here."

I heard him sigh, understandably before bringing the horses up to speed.

"My name is Cassius, by the way" He said over his shoulder.

"Pleasure. . . " I said, as I opened a bottle and began to drink.
Chapter 6 by Stevie
The return trip went a lot faster with the horses but we still had to camp. The night was uneventful as I didn't really feel like talking. I was happy with a campfire and a bottle. The fact that Cassius drank with me eased the awkwardness a little.


The next morning we made the second half of the trip. It took until that night to get there. Just outside the forest, I made him stop the wagon.


"Ok. . . When we go into camp, I'm going to need you to let me do the talking. My sister can be very. . . Violent. . When dealing with information she doesn't find favorable, so just leave out anything about Emelia, ok?"


He gave me a confused look, but shook his head yes. From there, we continued on to camp.


Luckily, Abby wasn't there. She left a note that said she went to bury her partner and investigate the attack. The date on the note said she would be back today or tomorrow.


"Well. . . I would say unload the wagon, but we likely won't be here more than a day." I said, getting the camp fire going.


"So can you finally tell me what you guys are doing here?" He asked, sitting across from me.


At this point, he was along for the ride so I filled him in.

"I imagine from your. . . "limited scope" of the world, that you haven't heard about the giant king?" I asked.


"What about him?" He replied, taking a swig of his bottle.


"I've been told. . . That he is dead now." I said, gauging his reaction.


"Ha! Did old age finally catch him up?" He said, grinning.


"Not quite. . . He was murdered. . . . By a giant slayer."



His eyes got wide, and the grin disappeared.


"Murdered?! . . . You mean to tell me that a slayer made it all the way to the giant capital, snuck past everyone, including the guards, and killed him?!" He nearly shouted.



"Yes. . . That is what I'm told happened. I haven't seen for myself, but only heard from my sister. She lives in the human capital and works for the hunan king, mind you."

"And what does this travesty have to do with the human king?"

"The slayer that killed him. . . . Reportedly wore the kings colors. . "

The man was silent, his jaw slack.


"I'm glad you understand the severity of our situation. The good news is, the army of the giant king is busy fighting other wars. The bad news is, something worse has supposedly come in their stead.


"What could possibly be worse than the giant army!" Cassius screamed.


"Calm yourself man!" I said harshly. "Again, I'm just telling you what I was told, but my sister said that it's a group of 3 women. The last born daughters of the giant king."

"And what is so special about these women?"

"I don't really know, beyond the fury of a woman scorned, but I have seen the brutality they are capable of, and it left a not so desirable taste in my mouth." I said, taking a sip.

"So what, you thought that Ellenworth was where they were hiding?" Cassius asked, giving me a look of stupidity.

"You think I don't know the reputation of Ellenworth?" I asked, sharply.

"Hey!. . . I'm just asking." He replied, putting his hands up defensively.

"It wasn't my idea. I knew that the legend of Ellenworth extends far beyond the few months since the giant kings death."

"Then why waste the time, or risk your life?"

"Because my sister forced me to." I said, taking yet another sip.


"Are you really THAT afraid of your own sister?" He asked, throwing a loose twig into the fire.


"Why wouldn't he be?" Said a voice from the darkness outside the fire light. "I'm bigger, stronger, faster, and so much smarter than he is, isn't that right baby brother." Abby interjected as she walked through the brush wall, leading her horse.


"And just who might you be?" She asked, tying her horse up and walking up to the fire.


"My name is-


"This is Cassius, he knows of all the little villages around here and is going to help me to navigate and pin point the whereabouts of the three daughters. . . . Isn't that right?" I asked him, knowing he would catch my drift.


"That's right." He concurred.



"So. . . . . You're not a spy?" Abby asked, stepping around the fire and standing in front of him.


"No. . . I'm just a commoner from the coast." Cassius replied, a little nervously.


"Hmm. . . .then. . . It must just be a coincidence that I happened to find a spy, hiding just outside the camp, from the exact same village that you just came from!" Abby said, her voice raising as she grabbed Cassius by his cloak and lifted him off his feet.


She walked effortlessly over to the edge of the brush, and reached down, grabbing another body who was tied up and walking them both in front of me. She tossed them to the ground, and I immediately recognized the grunt that the second man made.


I kicked him over so I could see his face, and my suspicions were confirmed. I just looked down on him but said nothing. Cassius wisely stayed down.

"Like I said. . . . HE is with me." I said, shoving Cassius away with my foot like he weighed nothing. "I don't know this other one." I said with a smirk.

"So he IS a spy then" my sister ascertained as she grabbed him by the front of his shirt and held him off the ground.

It looked like she had already beat him up a little bit. As time passed, a slayer kind of just gets the hang of how much pain a human can take, and limits their strength to effectively interact with them.


"He must be." I said, as I helped Cassius to his feet.


"So should I kill him? Abby asked, leaving the option up to me.


"Makes no difference to me. . " I replied, shrugging.


"Ok then!" She said, holding him up high, and bringing her fist back to likely punch his head clean off.


She went to punch him with normal human speed, and just as he was about to get hit, he cried out.


"Ant!" He screamed, his voice squeaking.


Abby stopped her fist about an inch from his face. "Just as I thought! You do know him."


"Y-yes! I met him in Ellenworth after he li-


"After I conducted my investigation and found nothing!" I said, interrupting him. "But I did find this man, who is master of acquiring information and knows some people further West of here." I lied.

"Is this the truth, human?" My sister asked Julius as he hung nervously in front of her.

Totally missing my lead, Julius began to run his mouth.

"I don't. . . I don't know of any investigation but. . . . Ant saved the city from Emelia!" He said, slightly confused.

"And who is Emelia?" She questioned, and I could tell from her body language that she already had an idea.

"She was the giant that enslaved us all!" Julius answered passionately.

"Well, some of us more than others. . . " Cassius said, bitterly.

I knew what was coming next, and right on cue. . . Abby's scowl was directed at me. She tossed Julius to the ground and stepped to me.

"You. . .slayed a giant?" She asked, clenching her fists.

"I defended myself. " I replied flatly, not looking her in the eye.

"Defended yourself? That would suggest that you did something worthy of attack!" She concluded.

"Why don't you ask Julius here exactly what happened!" I said, staring into the fire.

"I'm asking YOU!" Abigail said, getting irritated now. "YOU are the one blowing our cover and giving away our positions to the giants!"

"You think I don't know that!" I shouted. Finally I had enough of my sister bullying me. "Like I said, I had things under control until he decided to expose me! From there, it became a matter of life or death! I'm sorry I chose living!"

Abby looked to Cassius and Julius for confirmation. They both nodded. For the moment she seemed to calm down and just sat next to me on the log.

"We will have to move camp first thing in the morning. It isn't safe here anymore." She said, to the group.

"What do you mean it isn't safe? Ant is a giant slayer!" Julius interjected.

"We are BOTH giant slayers! And our mission is not to protect two particular humans, or pick fights with every giant we come across!" Abby explained, sternly. "You need to go!" She added, pointing a finger at Julius.

Julius stood and stepped between my sister and I. He looked back and forth between us as he spoke.

"I-I can't go back to Ellenworth! Ant said it isn't safe there either! I. . . Can help you guys! I have many useful skills!" He offered, unsure of himself.

This sparked a laugh in Cassius as he took a swig. "You really think they need you, kid? Or even me for that matter. All they need is that sword of theirs and most human problems become a non-issue." He said, cynically.

"You said you are conducting an investigation, right? Well, no offense to either of you three, but sometimes a scruffy drifter, a totally obvious, tall, female soldier and the village idiot!. . . Are not the best premises for acquiring information! I can get into places that aren't jail cells and pubs. People find me trustworthy."

"People find you a slimy little trenchworm!" Cassius interuppted, rudely.

"There will be no petty squabbling in my camp!" Abby barked.

She stood still, staring into the darkness as she thought over her options. Finally she spoke.

"Fine. . . You can join us, but you do so at your own peril. Neither I, nor my brother are here to protect you. We are on a mission from the crown!" Abby declared.

"I thought Ant is a fugitive from the crown? That is what his wanted poster says." Julius asked, sitting down across from us, but not next to Cassius.

"He is! I captured him, and he is now a representative of the crown until I either release him or he dies." Abby informed him.

Cassius laughed his dry laugh again.

"Do you find something humorous?" Abigail asked, raising an eyebrow at him, challenging him to displease her.

"It just seems like you two have an. . . Interesting. . Relationship." Cassius replied with a grin. He seemed completely impervious to her intimidation which I knew would irritate her.

"Our relationship is. . . . Fine!. . . And normal!. . And Great! Abigail huffed, her voice barely below a shout.

"Right. . ." Cassius said sarcastically, taking another swig.

His swagger and disregard for her immediately pissed her off. She stood up, walked over to him, and snatched the bottle from him before crushing it in her hand.

"Nobody is drinking here! Camp rules!" She snapped, glaring at him.

"Hmm." Was all he replied, as he stood up to face her.

Abigail stared him down, a good 4 or 5 inches taller than him. I expected him to say something clever, but he just turned and walked to the wagon. He began to unload a tent, and set it up next to mine.

"So. . . What exactly are you guys doing here in the outer rim?" Julius asked, trying to ease the tension. "What is this mission?"

I didn't reply. I chose not to say anything to most people, most of the time.

"We are trying to prevent another great war from happening." My sister said flatly.

"Meaning?" Julius answered.

"Meaning somebody assassinated the giant king, and the giants think it was the crown. Now, the 3 last born daughters of the giant king are here, and they intend to kill every human and giant slayer they come across until they get to the capital." Abigail said, summing everything up in one go.

Julius' eyes got wide as he heard this.

"Can. . . You kill them?" He asked, looking at me hopefully.

"We don't know anything true about them." She replied honestly.

"But Ant. . . Ant killed Emelia with one swing of his sword!" Julius exclaimed.

Myself and my sister were silent, and off to the side, Cassius began to set up a quick lean to for the night. He was also the first one to answer Julius.


"I don't know if you were watching the same fight as I was kid, but Mr. Hero here barely escaped with his life." He said, with almost a chuckle in his voice. "If that last attack had gone any other way, we would still be sweeping his crumbs off the ground. . . Likely ours too." He added, his voice more serious here.

"Say what you will! He still saved us all and did what nobody else could do! Now there are two of them together. No giant could possibly beat them!" Julius exclaimed, clenching his fists.

Cassius rubbed his temples.

"I'm not trying to be ungrateful, really I'm not!" He began, holding his hands up to myself and my sister "But Julius my boy. . . Emelia was a nobody. Think of her as. . . Your mother. . In the way that she is just a normal person. . Albeit a giant one. In her own world, she was just another woman. Here though. . . . Here, she was more than all the men in the city could handle, but that is only because we are the size of mice to her."

Cassius worked as he talked, and soon his lean to was up.

"All I'm saying is. . . If the common village woman almost crushed Ant, I really fear what these "three daughters" who are trained warriors, are capable of." He finished, before climbing under the lean to. "Good night."

Julius hung his head in despair. He knew Cassius was right to some extent, but at the same time. . . Ant had truly lived up to every legend he had been told about giant slayers as a young boy. Deep down, he wanted to believe that they were an unstoppable force for good and justice, but he also knew that was probably a foolish way of thinking.

"My mission is not to kill the three. It is to intercept them, and hopefully find out who the assassin is. It may well be the only way to keep the human world from being demolished. Because. . . If you haven't noticed, giant slayers are in short supply lately." Abby said, as she stood, and entered her tent, saying no more and leaving me alone with Julius.

"You can have that tent there." I said, pointing to my sister's partners tent. "I'm going to stay up and keep watch. I'll sleep during the trip to where ever we are going next."

"You don't know where we are going next?" He replied, a puzzled look on his face.

"This. . Isn't MY mission. Abigail is forcing me to be here." I said, pulling up my cloak to reveal the seal on my chest.

"What is that?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Tracking prayer. ."

He continued to look confused but said nothing.

"Nevermind. Long story short. . . My sister will kill me if I try to leave." I said flatly.

"What does that even. ." He began.

"That isn't an exaggeration. But, I don't want to talk about that. Go get some rest. I'll be fine here. "

He only nodded, and disappeared inside the tent. I sat and pondered how anyone still had that childlike faith in us anymore. Yes, I did kill Emelia in one blow. . . But back in my prime, I've cut a giant clean in half with that attack. Any less power this time and it may not have done the job.

I thought about it the rest of the night, as nothing else happened. It was what I was used to. Uneventful and easy to keep my head down and live honestly without being commanded to take life. . . It was nice.


The morning came, and soon after, my three traveling companions emerged from their tents. Cassius cooked breakfast while we packed up camp. The wagon became cramped with all of my sister's belongings on board. She didn't exactly travel light.

After eating, we all headed out. Abby decided southwest was our heading and that we were to set up camp at the base of the mountain range. I could tell that nobody else approved of that plan, but there was no vocal arguing. Southwest was not only the mountain range, but also the sea. They formed a geographical corner there.

The problem with that was, the mountain range was the literal border with the giant kingdom and the closest giant city was a minimal 35 miles from the coastal human city of Kleindell. In fact, giant sailing ships could often be seen traveling in the distance, heading to their own appropriately sized ports.

There was even stories of a giant ship that ran aground, completely destroying an entire human port city. The tale got twisted from generation to generation, but a giant ship was one of, if not the biggest moving thing in creation, so it seemed possible.

The sea was a solid 4 day's journey, and as a newly formed band of misfits, we took the time to "get to know each other". It turned out, Cassius was actually from the coast. . . Not that it would help us now. He had been travelling for some rare materials for his ship, some 13 years ago, which had led him to Ellenworth. The rest is history I guess.

Julius on the other hand, was born in Ellenworth, and so had never been far beyond what the privilege of being Emelia's advisor granted him. As the terrain changed, his jaw dropped further and further. He had used his "brilliant mind" to get in close with Emelia until he was eventually her right hand man in charge of all her day to day operations. A fact that most of the city resented.

The days passed as we continued on through sun, rain, and storms, stopping only to let the horses rest. The time moved slowly as my loving sister wouldn't allow me to drink and I didn't feel like talking to any one of them.

On the last day as we approached the area that would become the new camp, my sister began to lay out the plan.

"Ok. First, myself and Ant will go into Kleindell and see what we can find out. You two stay back and set up the camp out of view from anyone traveling on or near the road, and And any giants traveling down the mountain."

"Actually. . . .I think myself and Cassius should go to the city. Less conspicuous. We will make sure the coast is clear and see what information we can dig up. Then, after we find out we can, you two go next, posing as a couple and do the same. " I said, speaking for the first time in two days.

Abby looked like she was about to object, but to my surprise, she didn't.

". . Fine. Be back in two days time, then we will switch off." She said,calmly.

Both Cassius and Julius looked surprised as well.

"What?!" Abby snapped, glaring at them.

"Nothing. . ." Cassius said with a sly smirk.

"Its just. . .we didn't think you two ever agreed on anything. ." Julius remarked cautiously.

"Hey! I trust Ant's judgement! He didn't survive this long by being stupid. I just hate his laziness and his attitude toward most everything! If he has a good idea, I'll go with it! " she snapped, barely below a yell.

Cassius kept his smirk and waved her off. Julius cowered in fear as he turned back around on the driver's seat.

We rode on in silence until we reached what Abby decided was camp. We all helped unload the wagon, but ultimately we left Abby and Julius to set it up as we walked the 5 miles into the city.

What we found when we got there was surprising to say the least.

Most times when you got to a city and there was major construction, it was because a giant had payed a visit. But here. . . .crews of 4 to 5 men each were. . . . . Deconstructing the buildings.

Everywhere we looked, there were stacks of lumber and brick, taken from half torn down houses. Other men were loading the materials onto wagons and the wagons seemed to be heading to the port. Although both of us thought it strange, we didn't stop to ask questions.

Instead, we headed straight to the port to see for ourselves. What we gathered on the way there, is that there were mostly men I. The city. Very few women walked the streets and no children to be seen.

Strange.

As we got to the port, we arrived just in time to see a ship leaving the port, full to the brim with materials. We stood and watched as it headed south, to which there was only the fire reef, and whatever lay beyond. No one really knew, because sailing through the fire reef was deemed impossible and so it sort of became the edge of the known world as far as going south was concerned.

There was a man leaning up against a post on the dock and writing on a piece of paper, and Cassius decided to make contact.

"Excuse me friend, but. . . What's going on here? The city looks like chaos!" He said, smoothly. Cassius had a sort of way with people. I guess that is what kept him alive, even though he disrespected a giantess on many occasions.

"We are moving the city." The man said, without looking up.

"Moving it. . . Where?" Cassius asked, a bit puzzled.

"Only citizens of the city can know that. We don't need outsiders running their mouths about it!" He said, harshly before turning and walking away.

"What was his problem?" He asked me, as we continued into the port.

"I'm not sure. In all my years I have never seen this before, but it reminds me of the stories I was told from when I was a kid. Stories about how whole cities were uprooted and moved when the giants invaded the main land all those years ago."

"Do you think this has to do with the three daughters? I mean, for the most part, coastal humans and giants work together and get along because the sea is equally plentiful and deadly to both of them." Cassius remarked, taking out a hand rolled cigarette and lighting in on a torch along the path.

"It's possible. But why move the entire city unless you planned on being gone forever?" I questioned.

We continued to ask around, but everyone's lips were sealed about where the ships were going. The town seemed on edge about something, and by now we were determined to find out what. .
Chapter 7 by Stevie
We decided the docks weren't the way to get information, and so we would wait until dark to go to the tavern. While we waited, we joined a team of men taking down a building.


The men were all tense, and I couldn't help but notice that they all kept an eye on the path leading into the village like they expected to see something coming down the hill.


Once night fell, we finally put our plan into action. We would go to the tavern, and use some of the money the villagers had given me to buy rounds for everyone until they were drunk enough to tell us what we needed to know.


We walked into the large building that doubled as housing for all the people whose houses must have been taken down already. Behind the bar and separated by a wall, I could see rows and rows of makeshift beds lined up.


I walked to the counter, and signaled the bar maiden, who was a red haired girl with freckles who looked to be in her late teens or early 20's. I was just about to order a drink, when suddenly a commotion broke out to my left.


"Mathew! You promised you would send a search party! Its been 4 days since David left to hunt! He has never been gone this long, and I just know the spirit of the woods has something to do with it!" A tall, busty, middle aged woman shouted, grabbing the shirt of a short, older grey haired man.


"I. . . I've been trying! But No one has answered the call! We can't afford to send anyone from the city right now, you know this! I'm sorry Sarah. . . " he replied, putting his hands on hers and easing her grip from his shirt.


"Offer more money! This is the 8th time in the last 5 months! You can't ignore it anymore! Either hire a hero, or be cast out as leader!" She threatened, keeping her hold and shoving him hard against the wall. "These are father's, sons and husbands disappearing!"


"Sarah, you don't even know that he is gone!" Another man butted in.

I watched as she released "Mathew" and stepped to the new commentator. She was eye to eye with him, and as expected, his resolve crumbled as she tore into him about her husband and the other missing hunters.


"Perhaps myself and my associate here, can be of some assistance. ." Cassius said loudly, out of nowhere.


The whole room looked at him now.


"For the right price, we will gladly investigate and at least bring you a sense of closure, if not the hunters themselves!" He said smoothly.


The grey haired man, in an effort to not get beaten to a pulp by the disgruntled wife, jumped on the offer.


"We are paying 500 gold pieces for information on their whereabouts, and 1000 for their safe return." He said hastily.


"Make it 1,500 for their safe return." Cassius countered. "Heroes are hard to come by these days."


The grey haired man was infuriated and was about to yell something, when a look from the woman changed his tune.


"F-fine. 1,500 gold pieces, but still only 500 for information. Michael, Samson. . You two go with them and show them where the hunters were last seen. The fog is rolling in off the sea and you know what that means." He ordered.


Two men at the bar begrudgingly took the mugs from their lips and stood. One looked like a fisherman and the other a hunter. They said nothing as they left the tavern but I could tell that they weren't fond of either outsiders nor disappearing in the woods.



We left town heading West into the forest between the coast and the mountains. As promised, the fog was thick and visibility was low. It didn't help that the deeper we went, all manor of strange noises came from the darkness. I don't know if it was just an act, or if Cassius truly wasn't nervous but he kept his composure as even the locals became increasingly uncomfortable.


After about an hours walk, they stopped.


"These are the hunting grounds." The Hunter, Michael informed us.


"A party of 6 went missing not even a week ago." The fisherman added.


"Hmm." Cassius said, looking around like he was searching for something.


He continued to walk among the trees, occasionally running his hand along a trunk. This was nothing we planned, so even I was in the dark about what his true intentions were with all this.


We roamed the dark woods for another hour, heading deeper in and closer to the mountains. The men had grown tired of the search just as long ago and after the 3rd cliff climb, they had had enough.


"There's nothing here! Mathew is just afraid to let the city down so he organises these fool's errands!" The Hunter said, annoyance in his voice." I really don't want to spend an entire night treading the woods with a couple outside-


That is when we heard it. . . .


Somewhere in the darkness, the sound of a woman crying.


We all looked at each other to confirm what we were hearing before slowly moving in that general direction.


The sobs continued as we walked over hill after hill, until eventually we saw something in the distance. About 100 yards away. . . A campfire in a small clearing lined with massive trees.


And. . . With her back turned to us, a woman in a cloak, sitting in front of the fire, alone.


"Hell-" the fisherman tried to call, but the hunter covered his mouth immediately.


The crying stopped instantly as if she was listening, but she never turned in our direction. Everything was dead silent for a moment, as if everyone was waiting for the other to make a noise, but eventually the crying resumed.


The fisherman motioned us forward, and we crept ever closer to the woman, the fog becoming thicker as we went. Bringing up the rear, I stopped at about 60 yard, but nobody else noticed. Nothing about this felt right. .


The sound of the crying. . . It wasn't coming directly from the woman, but off slightly to the left. Also, the campfire. . . A bit too tidy, and a bit to big for a woman in "distress" to have constructed. All things the others either didn't notice or didn't care about as they continued on.


I kept my distance, knowing I could cover the ground in a second if I needed to. I also knew that some sacrifices might have to be made to successfully find out what happened to the other men, because obviously they weren't here.


The fisherman was about 15 yards from the clearing now, when he called out.


"Ma'am. . . Are you ok?" He asked, trying not to startle her.


She just continued to cry this time.


"Ma'am?" He tried again, walking right up to the edge of the clearing now, with Cassius and Michael in tow.


Now the crying stopped.


The fisherman stepped even closer, and slowly reached out to touch her shoulder. . .


"Ma'am?" He asked one final time before. . . .




All hell broke loose.


Samson touched the woman's shoulder, and immediately her "head" fell off, revealing a decoy. He jumped in surprise and at that exact moment, the "spirit of the woods" made it's move. The clearing was chaos as two giant sets of legs appeared from behind the trees. The hunter drew his sword and tried to fend off the giant hands, but was easily snatched up, and whisked away into the darkness above the campfire. Girlish squeals filled the clearing as they tried to coordinate and catch Cassius.


They were careful not to step on him, but one giant used it's feet to usher him, until the other one was able to grab him. Finally it was only Samson left, but he was no match for them. He reached into the fire, grabbing a branch, and brandishing it against his attackers. They only giggled and began to slowly close in on him. He backed away, waving the firey branch widely, until his back was against a tree.


Trapped, he made a decision and hurled the branch at them, but it made no impact. Immediately, a hand came down and he was plucked from the ground.


"Gotcha!" A female voice, the one that the cries belonged to said, satisfied with herself.


"Were there any more?" The other pair of legs asked?"


"I don't think so. . . It's a pretty small catch this time. I think the humans are too scared to come into the woods anymore. These 3 don't really look like hunters." The first girl theorized.


"We may have to set a different trap next time." The second girl said thoughtfully.



"Yeah. . . It's too bad. This one works so well!" The first girl sighed, as she crouched down and picked up the decoy.


It was then that I spotted the satchel that hung around her shoulder. I could hear the screams of Cassius and the others from inside.


"You would think they would know better! I mean, it's pretty a pretty obvious trap, but humans are pretty gullible!" The second girl mused.


"All the easier for us!" The first girl laughed, standing back up. "Anyway, let's get back to the village, I left my brother alone and I don't trust him to not burn the house down while his nose is in a book!" She said, before she lifted her foot, and completely snuffed out the campfire in a single step, before dragging her foot and scattering the remains.


I knew what I had to do. In the darkness I ran and right as she turned to walk away, I jumped and grabbed onto the back of her oversized shirt. Humans and slayers were light enough that we could go unnoticed on clothing for the most part. From there, I just hung on as the the pair made their way back through the mountains into giant country.



Some time later, they arrived on the edge of their village, the light illuminating their faces.


"You can have this batch since I got the ones from a few days ago." The second girl, who I could now tell had long, dark, braided hair and was a few inches ( human height) shorter than the first girl, said.


"Alright. You should come over tomorrow and we can look all of them over tomorrow. My other ones need a wash already too." The first girl, a light haired, thin specimen, offered.

This was a good sign. It meant that some, if not all of the other hunters were still alive...

"Sounds good, I'll see you tomorrow!" Brown hair replied, before they hugged and parted ways.

The girls home was conveniently right on the edge of town. A very good sized cabin, that looked to be well built. She stomped up the porch steps and pulled out a thin piece of wood. Looking over her shoulder to make sure nobody was watching, she slipped it through the crack in the door, and slid it up, undoing whatever it was that locked the door.

She swung it open, and stepped inside. Just as she did, I jumped down to the floor, and took cover under the ledge of a counter or something above me. Immediately she closed the door and locked it again, not wanting to let the heat of the fire out.


As she walked into the room, I ran along the wall until I got to a point where I could see the whole room without being seen. The interior of the cabin was just as well made as the outside looked. Detailed carvings in the logs, outlined the big fireplace. A fur coat of some type of animal was layed on the floor in front of it. Off the one main room, 4 other separate rooms.


The only other thing of note, was the boy sitting at a table against the wall. It must have been the girls brother that she had mentioned. And, as she had mentioned, his face was indeed in a book. This led me to get my first good look at the girl.


She had braided sandy blonde hair, hazel eyes and with her oversized shirt, trousers just passed her knee, and bare feet, she was a typical small village girl, giant or human.


She was in her teens (human years) and though I couldn't see his face, I could tell her brother was between 10 and 12. He wore much the same attire. . . . Humble would be the word that best described them. His face finally did peek out, and a look of worry was on it as he saw her satchel. She ignored him as she disappeared into the room furthest the left.


I waited, and she returned a couple minutes later, now with no satchel, closing the door behind her. She thundered across the room, and began taking vegetables out of a basket. The two existed in silence for a moment before the boy spoke.


"Were. . . Were you out trapping humans again?" He asked timidly, not removing his face from the book.


His sister let out a loud, obnoxious sigh.

"What if I was, Adam?!" She spat at him as she began to cut the vegetables.


"Dad is going to get really mad. . . " the boy replied quietly.


"Only if he finds out. And he isn't going to find out, is he?" She asked, as she took the chopped veggies to a big cauldron by the fire. "IS HE?" She repeated, using her finger to flip the book from her brothers hands and glaring at him.

"I'm not going to tell him!" The boy "Adam" whined as he frantically picked up the book.

"You better not! I had to go work on the pig farm for 2 weeks last time because you couldn't keep your big mouth shut!" The girl complained as she picked up a bucket and began pumping water from a well in the corner.

"It's not dad. . " Adam began. .

"It's not dad, what?" She asked, as she pumped.

"It's not dad that we have to worry about. . . The humans. . . Eventually the humans will have had enough. . " he said, trying to choose his words carefully.

His sister burst out laughing as she struggled to carry the full bucket to the cauldron and dump it in.

"The humans?. . The humans are lucky we are only taking the ones that fall for the trap! Mom said she used to just walk right into their village and take whoever she wanted!" She laughed, as she finished pouring the water, and slid the cauldron up to the fire.

"Those were just bedtime stories." Adam argued, covering his face with his book.

"You don't know that! Why would mom lie? Plus, you know that there isn't anything that they could do if me and Josie decided to go down there, and crush the whole town!" The girl declared proudly.

The boy lowered his book, revealing a look of terror and disbelief.

"Oh calm down! I'm not going to crush their village. Not that it matters now anyway. . " She assured him, as she added some spices to the pot.

"What are you going to do if they hire a giant slayer?" He asked, nervously.

She laughed even harder this time.

"You actually think there are any slayers way out here? We are as far away from the capital as a human can be! Plus. . . With the three daughters there now. . . There aren't going to be any slayers left. Humans either. Just us." She explained, while rummaging through a cupboard.

"The human king said that they didn't have anything to do with the assassination!" He replied, getting worked up.

"Humans are liars Adam, you know that. He is only sorry that he got discovered!"

"They never caught the assassin." He countered. " You can't destroy two whole races without knowing everything, all the facts!" He said passionately.

"Well you can't kill the original giant and expect no repercussions! It's an eye for an eye. Some little low life slayer killed the giant king, now Florence and her sisters are going to crush everything from the outer rim to the capital and every mouse hole in between!" She declared, stomping her foot.

"That isn't right or just!" The boy said, sliding back his chair and standing up.

"Well why don't you go find the daughters and tell them that!" She replied, stepping up and dwarfing her brother as she looked down into his eyes. "See if they don't stomp your scrawny behind back to wolfshire!"

He stood for a moment, the top of his head barely at his sister's chest, but lost his nerve and sat back down at the table. . . I knew how he felt. . .

"That's what I thought. It's going to happen whether you, the slayers or the humans like it or not! And just think about it, once the humans are gone, there will be more room for us and things won't be so cramped all the time!" She said, patting her brother on the head gently.

"I'm going to run to uncle Charles' and see if he has any pork and chicken we can add to the pot, I'll be back in 30 minutes. Keep an eye on the stew. Don't let it bubble over like last time!" She said as she unlocked the door and left, closing it softly.

I saw my chance. This boy didn't seem the type to just let people be mistreated and on top of that, these two had information on the the three daughters. I had to talk to him.

He got up and walked to the door, locking it again and when he turned around, there I was in the center of the floor. As expected, his eyes got huge and he began to panic.

"You! You shouldn't be out of your box! Seph is gonna be so mad if she catches you escaping!" He cried frantically.

"Breathe easy friend. I was never IN a box, so I can't possibly be escaping, can I? I asked, smoothly as I walked to the table and in one swift jump, I was standing on top of it.

Impossibly, his eyes got even bigger. It looked like he was stuck between the fear of what his sister would do to me, and intrigue of what type of man I was.

"That isn't going to matter! She. . . She crushed the last human to be roaming around here!" He said, trying to scare me.

"Luckily, I'm not human either! Everything seems to be in my favor, doesn't it." I commented, as I sat down on the edge of the table.

The boy wasn't dull by any means and I saw the gears turning in his head.

"Does that mean you're a-. . . You're not here to slay my sister are you!?" He asked, his voice frantic.

"If everything goes according to plan, nobody has to die today. ." I said, looking him in the eye. "Sit down."

Adam cautiously sat down in front of me, his eyes focusing hard.

"Are. .you here for the humans that my sister just captured?" He questioned, studying me.

"Yeah, they took my friend and I kind of need him back, if it's not too much to ask. . "

"I want to. . . . But I can't. Persephone Will freak out if I even go into her room without permission. Let alone let some of her humans go." He informed me, unconsciously fidgeting in his seat.

"Oh, I'm taking ALL the humans with me!" I responded, standing up and turning to face him.

He looked overwhelmed with nervousness now.

"My sister will never allow it!" He whined.

"I'm not asking permission. I plan to go in there and get them myself, whether she likes it or not. The only reason I'm talking to you, is because you seem to have some information that I need."

He looked confused.

"The three daughters. . . . Tell me about them." I said, pointing at him.

He seemed to think about it before he responded.

"Quid pro quo." He said simply.

"What does that mean?" I asked, flatly.

"It means. . . I'll answer your questions, if you answer mine." He said, gaining courage.

I looked him over, and it seemed his intentions were good, so I agreed. I was hoping to be out of there by now, but the whole reason for ANY of this was finding info on these giants so I was making headway anyway.

Besides, as long as his sister was gone, the humans were safe.

"Ok, kid. Go ahead." I agreed.

"Alright. . " he said, taking a deep breath. "Are you. . . really as strong as we are?" He asked timidly.

Easy enough.

"Here, stick out your finger." I said, holding up my hand.

He looked confused, but obeyed. Carefully he reached out with his pointer finger. I put my hand on his finger tip.

"Push" I said simply.

Slowly, he began to push, and I began to resist. I watched his face as he quickly realized that he couldn't budge me. The giant boy increased his pressure, pushing harder up until his chair actually slid back and up against the wall.

"Incredible" he breathed, pulling his finger back and just stared at me.

"Sure. . . But it's my turn now. Tell me about those giants." I demanded.

"There isn't too much to know. . . Umm. . . " he began, scratching his head. "So. . Juliette is the youngest. She has hair the same color as Persephone. She's 130 feet tall. . .and in charge of weapons production and training in the capital. I. . WE. . Met her one time in the city! Seph is big, but she made seph look kind of short. She said I was cute." He exclaimed.

Truth be told, my mind was blown. 130 feet tall was exactly the same height as the giant king himself, and as far as any history showed, he was the tallest giant ever as far as I knew.

"And the other two?" I questioned, not caring to go down memory lane with him.

"Leonara is the middle sister. . . People call her Leo. I have never met her or anything but she is 145 feet tall, and from what I have heard, she is very mean! She has really black hair, and dresses kind of strange, but they say she is really strong! She is in charge of strategy and planning."

At this point, I wasn't sure I wanted this kid to continue. The things he had told me so far were enough to worry me.

"And last. . .is Florence. She is the oldest and strongest. She is 157 feet tall! The tallest giant ever. . . And also the strongest! The giant king himself taught her how to fight! She has blonde hair like Juliette but wears a different style. She is in charge of everyone else, and will probably be the new giant king. . . Or queen. . When they get back from the human realm. . . That is all there really is to describe them I guess. . ." He said, rubbing the back of his neck.


This was too much to process. The size this kid was talking about was unheard of. Unthinkable. If it was fact, I really don't know if anyone could actually stop them, at least one on one anyway.

"Ok. . . My turn." Adam said, his face turning more serious. "How many giants have you slain?"

I sighed a deep sigh.

"More than I'm proud of, kid. I don't really keep track.

"When was the last time?" He continued.

"Quid whatever. . ." I interjected, dodging the question."

"Pro quo." He said flatly.

"Yeah, sure. . . . What are the daughters planning?"

"You don't know?. . ." He asked, a bit shocked.

"No. . . Enlighten me."

"They want. . . The total and utter extermination of the giant slayers and the humans. There are even some people who think that they will assemble an army, and overthrow the gods." He said, his voice worried.

It was way too much information to process. I could understand wanting to kill THE giant slayer that killed their father. . . But EVERY slayer and ALL the humans. . . . Even the gods. . . . The Gods. I was torn. . . I really didn't want to fight or kill anymore. . . But. . The world would be a drag without anyone but giants in it.

"My turn. . . Can. .can I see your sword?" He asked, timidly.

I only chuckled.

"No can do, kid. Once she's drawn, she must taste blood." I said, reciting the ancient warrior code.

Adam looked confused.

"She?" He asked.

"Yes SHE. Galdrielle is her name." I said, as I walked to the edge of the table and jumped down.

"Hey! Where are you going?! " Adam called, standing up and following me.

"To get my friends. I've spent too much time as it is, although your information has been invaluable. "

The boy stumbled over frantic words and warnings as I walked up to his sister's bedroom door and casually kicked it open. Inside was nothing special. The walls had some paintings and a few high shelves but other than that, just a bed and a dresser.

"Where is she keeping them?" I asked, looking around.

He was hesitant to tell me.

"It's up to you, but either you tell me or I rip this room apart and you'll be stuck having to deal with your sister. " I said, knowing it would break him.

He cautiously stepped into the room and grabbed a hand carved wooden box from the dresser and set it gently on the floor in front of me. I heard voices screaming from inside, but the one problem was the small gold lock on the latch.

This was my main problem with the giant world. Everything was bigger and more sturdy. So where as in the human world, a slayer was a being of immense power. . In the giant world, it didn't go much beyond the average man's strength.

"Unlock it." I commanded the boy.

"I can't. . . Seph keeps the key on the highest shelf so I can't reach it." Adam informed me, pointing up to a shelf.

"Then. . .Just lift me as high as you can." I instructed him.

He obeyed, and with a quick jump, I was on the shelf and sure enough, laying on top of the multiple layers of dust and what appeared to be human artifacts was a shiny key. I grabbed the key, and was about to jump back to his hand, when we both heard the footsteps on the front porch.

Without a word, the boy quickly picked up the box, replacing it before he ran out the door and closed it again.


Now I had the key, but getting down from this ledge was a bit of a problem. At this height, I would likely break something if I jumped all the way to the floor. I decided that leaping to the girl's bed was the best option instead.


Holding the key, I ran and jumped, gliding through the air before hitting her bed and rolling to my feet. I kept my speed up and after running across her blanket, I lept again, this time landing on her dresser with the box before me.


Outside the door I could here the boy and his sister having a conversation. I didn't know how much time I had, or even if the boy would try to buy me any. Though he seemed at odds with his sister, I felt that his fear or respect for her was great enough that he probably wouldn't help me if it came down to it.


Quickly I took the giant key and stuck it in the lock, before giving it a sharp twist causing the lock to spring open. I pushed it out of the hook and opened the lid. I was met with screams and cries for help. I hopped onto the edge of the box, and took a look.


Inside, there were the three men I had been travelling with, but also 7 other men and 3 women. They all looked beat up and downtrodden. They gazed up at me in shock like the were expecting the giantess. That was when my companions layed into me.


"Why you no good coward! You sack of putrid cow shit!" The hunter screamed.


"Where the hell were you!?" The fisherman added. "We walked into a trap and suddenly you are nowhere to be found! I think you two are in on this whole thing!"


Both I, and Cassius laughed at the accusation. At least he looked like he was expecting me.


"If I had gone with you, we wouldn't be having this conversation would we?" I asked calmly with a smirk.


"Get. . . Get us out of here before she comes back!" One of the rougher looking men pleaded.

"Fine." I said, and began giving the humans a hand out of the box.

When they were all standing on the dresser, for the first time on how I was actually going to get them down to the floor, let alone out of the cabin, through the mountains and back to the village. All big problems, but first things first.

I looked around, and spotted something of use. A long gold necklace. Tethering it securely, I waited until all the humans made their way down to the floor. I stood watch, not sure if I was ready to expose myself as a giant slayer just yet. Once we were all on the ground, we furthered the plan.

"We. . . Heard Persephone talking about a draft in her room that her father needed to fix. If we can find the gap, maybe we can escape." A man, who wasn't hurt too badly offered.

"I felt a breeze coming from that wall!" A woman said, pointing to the far wall.

"Ok, let's go! Hurr-

Just then the door swung open. . .
Chapter 8 by Stevie
A woman let out a startled scream, grabbing the attention of the giantess. The girl's eyes darted from us, to the open box on her dresser, complete with the key. Her face turned red, and she clenched her fists and hiked her shoulders.


"You guy's need to run! I'll stay here and slow her down." I said, pointing to the wall.


Nobody argued, and they took off running as fast as they could. I was now tasked with keeping this giant busy, without killing her.



She glared down at me, an almost confused look on her face.

"Who the hell are you?" She asked, taking a step toward me.


I heard the thump of footsteps behind her.


"Leave him alone! He is a giant slayer! He'll kill you!" Adam shouted, slipping around his sister and between his sister and myself.


"How do you even know that?" She demanded, her voice a mix of confusion and annoyance. ". . . . Did you talk to him? . . . You helped them escape,didn't you?!" She asked, her voice raising in intensity as she put all the pieces together very quickly.



Adam tried to stammer a response but fear was overwhelming him now. His resolve crumbled as she stepped up to him.


"I'll deal with you next!" She said, distaste in her voice as she grabbed him by his shirt and tossed him out of her room before turning back to me.


Surprisingly, her face read a cool confidence. Not fear like I had grown to know upon giants learning my true identity.


"Is that right? Did the little humans finally send a giant slayer to kill me?" She asked, crossing her arms.


"I just want the humans back and for you to stop capturing them. Nobody has to die." I stated firmly, hoping to intimidate her.


She snorted a laugh.


"What do you even care? Giant slayers have bigger problems right now than a few missing humans every now and then. If they don't want to get captured, they shouldn't wander into the woods at night!" She replied with a chuckle.


Adam only watched from behind her.


I said nothing, just eying her. The longer I stalled, the better chance the humans had to escape.


"See! You can't even come up with a good reason to help them! You just follow orders like an obedient little dog because that is how the gods created you! If they didn't want the humans to suffer, they shouldn't have made them tiny! If anything, humans should be mad at them, not us." She continued.


"Regardless. . I'm taking them and leaving." I said boldly, before turning and walking toward the direction of the humans.

I heard the thump of footsteps behind me, and a moment later, a shadow cast over me. Instinctively I stepped to the right just as her foot stomped the ground where I was just walking.

"Get back here! By giant law, those humans are my property! You owe me compensation!" She said, after seeing she didn't crush me.

"Listen girl, I REALLY don't want to have to hurt you. . . So if you could just leave us be, there will be no trouble." I said, trying to remain calm.

She tried fruitlessly to stomp me again before she spoke.

"A real giant slayer wouldn't think twice about killing me. You are blood thirsty animals who only know how to kill! I think you're a coward, and after I crush you, I'll be going outside and getting my property back." She said, whilst trying to catch me with a kick.

"Don't antagonize him, Seph! He said he doesn't want to kill you. Can you not just count your blessings?" Adam whined from behind her.

"No! He stole from me, and somebody has to pay the price. Each of those humans is worth 20 gold pieces and the merchant will be here in three days!" She exclaimed, attempting another stomp.

"You're never going to catch me Lass!" I said, easily dodging her.

She stopped and thought for a moment. Then without warning she turned and walked out of her bedroom, bowling Adam over in the process. I knew exactly where she was going, and moved to intercept her. Sprinting to the edge of the fur carpet, I grabbed a handful and pulled.

I received the desired effect as bare feet went up in the air and the ground shook as Persephone slammed flat on her back. She let out a long, awkward wail as the air was knocked out of her. Adam's hands covered his mouth as he stifled a laugh.

"Just because I don't want to kill you, doesn't mean I can just let you go after them either." I told her.

It took some time to catch her breath, but when she finally did, she was angry as ever.

"What are you laughing at Adam? You little bog weasel!" She spat as she slowly rose.

Glaring at me, she stood with her hands on her knees breathing heavy.

"I'll. . . I'll make you a deal." She said shakily.

"I'm listening. . ."

"We both know that A: even if I gave those humans a days head start, with the mountains between here and there, and with none of them knowing the path. . . I can just as easily catch them again. And when I do. . . . " She trailed off, insinuating her intent.

"I'm sure you don't want that. If you did, you would have just stayed in the woods. . .or not even went into the woods in the first place. So. . . If you're NOT going to kill me, the only way they go free is for YOU to take their place. One slayer is worth 3 times what all those humans were worth right now. You stay here until the merchant arrives to purchase you." She stated, pointing down at me.

It really wasn't a hard choice. It wasn't even that I. . . "Liked" humans all that much really. I guess in the back of my mind, I just kind of hoped that maybe I could do enough in the time I had left, to make up for the things I did in my past. I don't know.

"Alright. . . I'll stay." I said immediately.

Adam looked crushed. I knew how he felt. To see somebody you assumed to be this unstoppable force is just as powerless against your problems as you are.

"Good. I want no attitude or tricks either! If you fight or struggle or disobey, I'll go into the mountains and catch them again. You do as I say until the merchant arrives." Persephone said in a bossy tone.

"Yes ma'am." I said flatly.

Of course. . . . I didn't really have any plan of staying here. I was just biding my time. Waiting until the humans could get far enough away before I made my escape.

Huh. . .

That is probably why my sister felt the need to place this prayer on me. . .

Oh well. . .

With that, I was plucked from the floor, and roughly shoved into the very box I had just freed everyone from. Being imprisoned was becoming an all too familiar feeling as of late. As before, I really had nothing to do but wait.

I'm not sure what the brother and sister did after she locked me away, but when I was finally released again, it was day time and they were wearing different clothes. Adam didn't stay long, as Persephone ordered him to do chores outside in the garden. Meanwhile, she took the opportunity to test my strength and resistance.


All morning, I was forced to pull and push items of increasing weight around the floor. Other times, she would apply pressure to my bones and see if she could break them. She never did succeed, which is lucky, because I "wasn't allowed" to fight back.

Eventually she had to go do chores of her own and locked me back in the box. At this point, I didn't really have a escape plan but I knew I had to stay at least another day. I was made to sit in the dark for an undetermined amount of time before I was disturbed again.

"So you honestly traded all your humans for one slayer?" The girl from yesterday asked in disbelief.

"Yeah! He is worth 3 times more than them!" Persephone exclaimed.

"Well why didn't you just lock him up, then go get the humans too?" The girl inquired with a smirk aimed in my direction as I stood between them as they sat on the floor in front of the fire. The humans that this girl possessed stood off to the side in a huddled crowd. They all shook with fear.

"Too much work! I didn't see where they went anyway. Plus, with that storm up in the mountains. . I don't think they will last through today with no supplies." Persephone said, taking a spoonful of stew from a bowl to her right. "On top of that. . .ADAM. . .would probably try to help him escape if I left them alone together!" She said loudly in her brothers direction.

He only stuck his nose deeper into his book.

"You're lucky she didn't kick your little ass for that! If you were my brother, I'd have beaten the stuffing out of you!" The friend spat, glaring at him. " Seph goes too easy on you, and so do your parents! That is why you are the weakest boy in town!" She finished with a sneer.

. . . This girl was starting to piss me off.

"Hey! Leave him alone." I said, surprising the three giants in the room.

"What did you just say to me?" She replied, bringing her face in close to mine, her hair dangling right by me.

I entertained the thought of grabbing it and giving her something to remember me by but ultimately held off.

"I said. . . Leave him al-

I was interuppted as the girl decided to throw a punch to shut me up. I was unphased and casually caught her fist with one hand, stopping it dead in it's tracks. The look on everyone's face was worth at least 1500 gold by itself.

With a flick of my wrist, I redirected her fist backward and it awkwardly bounced off her forehead and sent her sprawling back comically. Both Adam and Persephone burst out laughing at this.

The girl sat up and glared at me. I think she knew I was not to be messed with, so she took the easiest target in the room, aside from her humans. She stood up and began to rain slaps down on Adam as he tried to block her with his book.

"You think that's funny, you little twerp?!" She shouted as she released her barrage.

"Leave him alone, Meegan. It WAS pretty funny!" Persephone intervened, wiping a tear from her eye.

"You better remember your place, brat!" The girl "Meegan" shot at him as she returned to her sitting position. "And this little bastard better remember his! He is lucky I don't send word to the capital that we captured the assassin! Then we could watch the royal guards tear him apart!" She added, staring daggers through me.

"He isn't the assassin!" Adam pipped up.

"Really? How do you know? Did you even bother to ask him? Do you even know his name? He could be here to slaughter the whole village for fun and here we are, eating stew with him!" Meegan ranted.

The brother and sister were silent as they thought about that possibility.

"Yes, but the assassin wears the colors of the human king." Persephone said, trying to rationalize.

"Because he couldn't just change his clothes!" Her friend replied sarcastically.


Adam snickered from the table.


"Why don't you just shut up Adam! You are the one who found him and you didn't think to ask him who he was!" Persephone yelled at him.


"I DID ask him! He isn't the assassin!" Adam assured them.


"What's his name?. . . . What's your name, slayer?" Meegan asked, looking first to Adam, then to me.


"Alexander Monte." I replied without hesitation.


Alexander Monte was one of the many aliases I used in my travels. Because my wanted poster had my real name, it was necessary to be able to move around unrestrained.


Meegan narrowed her eyes at me.


"I don't believe him! Why even talk to Adam in the first place? What does he really want?" She questioned, looking to Persephone.


I caught Adam looking at me, and I shook my head, telling him not to tell them.


"It doesn't matter what he wants! He's mine now and I'm handing him over to Zahra when she comes to town.


My heart dropped.


That was a name I was never really happy to hear.


Zahra was the infamous leader of an all female bandit gang. Together they traveled the country side, terrorizing passers by, robbing them, dealing in loans, gambling and just about anything else that was profitable.


What was different about them was that these giants dealt with not only their own kind, but humans as well. Which is to say that not only did they kidnap and traffic in them, but they would also loan to them and trade with them. But. . . As well as all that goes, they still had a deplorable reputation.


Enter giant slayers.


Unlike the average giant that slayers came across, Zahra and her gang were well trained in combat and as such, both giant bounty hunters and giant slayers were unsuccessful at killing or capturing any of her group. Zahra herself accounted for many slayer deaths and was known for being particularly ruthless with them.


I say all that. . . Because I owe her a debt. Both myself and my brother. Different debts and times, but we both owed her. . . And. . . I hadn't exactly gotten her the payment on time. I had been avoiding her for months now, and had just narrowly escaped her the last time we met. I heard later that she was willing to triple the price on my bounty poster to anyone who brought me to her.


Hearing that was all the motivation I needed. I would escape tonight and deal with whatever consequences it brought.


The rest of the day was uneventful. The girls continued to bully me and the humans as they saw fit. Finally, after being squished underfoot for the hundredth time, Meegan decided to take her lot of humans and go. To my surprise, I wasn't immediately shoved back into the box, and was allowed to stay on the table with Adam as Persephone made them both dinner.


This time it was fish that she had bought from a fisherman passing through. It smelled really great, but Persephone forbid Adam from giving me any. She said I didn't deserve any after what I did to Meegan, even though I was repayed tenfold with squeezes and squashes throughout the day.


Some time later, I was stuck back in the box. I listened closely, waiting what felt like hours before making my move. I pulled out my dagger, which was made of a lesser metal than my sword and not capable of piercing giant skin. I used it instead to carve and weaken the floor of the box. By the morning, it was ready.


According to plan, Persephone came rushing into her room and the box was jostled roughly as she fiddled with the lock. A moment later the lid was raised and I was met with her giant, beaming face.

"Time to go! Zahra's wagon train is here!" She exclaimed, before slamming the lid back down without giving me a chance to reply.

Luckily, she hadn't noticed my "modifications" to her box.

She picked me up and I was thrown about as she no doubt ran to meet the merchant. It was now or never, as she was moving far too fast for me to waste any time. If she made it to the line of villagers waiting to trade and sell with Zahra, the chances of escaping clean would be practically zero. . . . And fighting my way out of a village full of giants would be certain death.

I took a deep breath, and in between jostles I managed to get my hands into the crack I had carved. With some effort, I peeled back the wood, and slipped through, narrowly avoiding being trampled by Persephone as she ran toward the center of the village.

I glanced around to make sure I hadn't been seen, before making my way south. The mountains weren't the only way back to the human realm, and if and when Persephone noticed I was gone, she would surely take the mountains to try and find me. With that reason, I decided to take the coast.





"I. . . I don't understand it! He was just here a minute ago!" Persephone cried as she gazed into the empty box with a hole in the bottom.

"That is why you always completely disarm a slayer! And I usually use a special cell for keeping them. They are crafty little things!" Zahra commented to the teenaged girl before her.

"I'm. . . So stupid!" Persephone wailed, with tears in her eyes. "I traded ALL of my humans for him!"

Zahra felt pity for her and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Did you happen to catch his name?" She asked, gently.

"Alexander. . . Alexander Monte. . . " she managed between sniffles.

Zahra's hands involuntarily clenched into fists at the mention of that name, and she scanned the ground around them.

"I tell you what. . . . If I happen to come across him in the next few days, I'll still pay you half. It's the least I can do for the information." Zahra offered, gently.

"Wow! Seriously?" Persephone shouted.

"Yes. . . You have my word." Zahra promised, before giving the signal to the couple of subordinates she had with her to pack up the wagon.




The southern most coast was an impassable hell. Jagged rocks and steep cliffs composed most of it. Giants were too big to be able to find foot holds to use it and humans were too weak to climb the distances required. Only slayers could really travel it by land, so I moved at a steady pace without expecting to see anyone else.

Being a 40 mile journey back to the village, I knew without distraction, I could make it back in one day without having to move at human pace. Eventually, I saw the city in the distance, and strolled casually into town. In the days that I had been gone, the villagers had made a lot of progress. A few more blocks had been cleared of all the buildings now.

Immediately, I went straight to the tavern. Not to collect my reward, but to get something more valuable.


"Ahh, hello again stranger! It's good to see you! When the others came home without, we were worried you might have perished!" The bartender said, greeting me.

The tavern was empty except for him and his red headed bar maiden. She had a drink in hand, and a pissed off look on her face, directed at me.

"Your colleague already collected the reward I'm afraid. . ." The bartender explained, unsure of why I was there.

"I expected as much. . . . That isn't why I'm here. . "

"What can I do for you?" The bartender asked, leaning on the counter.

"Information. . . . The truth. Tell me. . . .why is the city being torn down and taken to the docks?"


The man and the maiden exchanged glances. After a moment, he spoke.

"I suppose you have earned the right to know. . . You did the village a huge service." He began.

"Ha!" The maiden huffed, but said no more.

"Please excuse her sir. . . Her husband. . . Wasn't among those who returned. ." The man told me, patting her on the shoulder. "The truth is. . . . We discovered a route through the sea wall."

My eyes got wide. The sea wall was a natural barrier set up by the gods, and was widely believedto be the very edge of the world. It was thought impossible for either human or giant ships to pass through due to it's jagged rock faces.

"Beyond the wall, we found an island with food and fresh water. . . . In the midst of the three daughters rampaging the human kingdom, we voted and decided that uprooting and rebuilding off the map is our best hope for survival." The man explained.

There it was again. . . . This notion that nobody anywhere could possibly beat the three daughters. The thought that tearing down and rebuilding an entire city would be easier than fighting. I was taken aback by it.

"What do you know of the three daughters? " I asked, trying not to sound too demanding.

The man was about to respond, when the woman stopped him.

"What's it worth to you?" She asked, a greasy smile on her face.

"Well, seeing as how I am apparently the only one trying to stop the end of human kind. . I'd say everyone would benefit from you telling me what you know."

"And what do you plan to do about it? Besides get squashed flat along with anyone else who tries to oppose them?" She sneered at me.

"They will crush us all, regardless of whether or not we oppose them!" The man interuppted.

"Think about it. . . Did I not just return from giant country unscathed, and with your hunters in tow?" I questioned, appealing to their reason.

The man mulled it over, before speaking.

"All we know is what travelers tell us. . . Travelers who immediately board ships going anywhere but here. . . " he began. " from what I understand, they split up when they crossed the border. The oldest took the northern most route. The middle down the middle, and the youngest went south. Their plan is just to destroy everything in their path until there is nothing left. Of course it's all rumor, but we're told Florence has wiped out nearly all of the northern mountain tribes. . " he said, solemnly.

I just took in the information, unsure of what to think. The northern mountain tribes were known for being deeply entrenched into the mountains. Giants often ventured there, but they were never successful at conquering them due to traps and weather.

"No. . . Slayers tried to stop her?" I questioned, not trying to seem to interested.

"From what I gather, she has killed at least 10 so far. . .including Mathias."

My eyes got wide.

"That's right! She squashed Mathias flat as a pancake!" The girl declared, pounding her fist in the bar counter.


Mathias. . .


One of the most well known giant slayers of all time. One of the originals created. One of the only slayers to wield 2 swords. I wouldn't say we were friends, but we had fought together on a few occasions. He was sort of a mentor to young slayers before everyone either went to the capital or on the run.


While Mathias WAS on the run, it was just widely accepted that slayers at least, didn't try to kill or capture him.


Now he was gone.


I was careful not to show emotion, as both humans studied me.



"The youngest. . . Juliette. . . . Have you seen or heard about her?" I asked, trying not to sound too interested.



"There are rumors of a blonde giantess further down the coast. She has been taking humans from 4 different cities but nobody knows why." The man informed me.


"Thank you." I said, and decided it was time to leave.


I was just about to the door, when the man called out.


"HEY!" He shouted, before hurling a larger knife at my head.


Instincually, I lifted my hand, and caught the knife by the handle just before it caught the tip of my nose.


The man looked unsurprised but the woman shrieked in shock.


"You're one of them, aren't you?" He asked, a knowing look on his face.


I said nothing, but just threw the knife back, sticking it into the side of the bar at least 4 inches deep, before walking out and heading back toward camp.
Chapter 9 by Stevie
I walked through the brush into camp to see my sister and Julius sparring with practice swords. Cassius was reclining casually by his tent. Julius' form was sloppy and my sister had to hold back as much as she could just so he could learn anything at all. When she saw me, she immediately stopped fighting and just gave me a dirty look.

"Don't start with me." I said, not even giving her a chance to go in on me. I sat down in front of the fire and just stared into it.

"What's wrong?" Abby asked, as she sat down next to me with Julius following behind.

"Nothing. . . . I just. . .got more information than I care to know." I said quietly.

"That's great! Fill us in!" She said, excited.

Seeing me upset, Cassius stood and handed me a bottle. I took a big gulp and wiped my mouth.

"The oldest. . ."Florence" . . . She is up north in the mountains. She. . . .killed Mathias and at least 9 more. She is wiping out the tribes there. . ."

My sister was closer to Mathias than I was, and I could see the pain in her eyes as she heard this. She gripped the log and shredded part of it with her bare hands.

"I think. . . The middle sister. . Is the one that I came across. . "Leo" and finally. . . . The youngest, "Juliette". The bartender tells me that she may be down the coast, taking humans for something."

"Will you go after her?" Julius asked, wide eyed

I said nothing.

My sister read into it.

"You're afraid. . . . Why?" She asked, looking me in the eye.

"Abigail. . . If what I found out is true. . . I don't think we can beat any of them. . Not even 2 on 1." I said, gravely.

"Why?" She asked again.

"The youngest. . . . The smallest one is 130 feet tall Abigail."

"That's. . . That's not possible! That is as tall as the giant king!" She reasoned, her eyes wild.

"The other two are 145 and one 157 respectively."

I had never seen my sister show fear, but it was definitely present now. Cassius seemed to grasp the magnitude of my words too, but Julius seemed oblivious.

"Why does their height matter? A giant is a giant, right?" He asked, confused.


"To us humans yes, but it's different for them." Cassius said, speaking for the first time since I had been there. "Emelia was only 100 feet tall, which is not short, but not tall for a giant. She was more than big enough to kill a human with ease, but not strong or heavy enough to kill Ant outright. Now imagine all the added weight if she had even 30 feet more of flesh, then 45, then 57!"

"He gets it!" Abigail interuppted. "We all get it."

We were all silent for a while. Eventually, we decided that my sister and Cassius would go due east and myself and Julius would go up the coast with the intention of finding Juliette and sending word to the other.




[Meanwhile back in Kleindell, tremors signaled the arrival of multiple giants. There was initial panic, but it was eased as the villagers saw that it was Zahra. Not that she was any less dangerous than any other giant, but she wasn't known for destroying cities. She usually just traded goods, turned in or picked up bounties and left in peace.

She and two of her girls stomped down main street, humans ducking out of their way to avoid getting trampled in their wake. Zahra stopped at the tavern, knelt, and gently tapped on the door. Seeing a massive eye in the window, a moment later the bar tender opened it, and cautiously stepped outside. He looked up fearfully.

"Uhh. . . What can I. . . What can I do for you?" He asked, taking a step back as she stood to her full height of 113 feet.

"Well. . . I heard a rumor that a certain man might be hiding in the area. A dangerous man with a bounty. A fugitive from the crown." She said, folding her arms and just looking over the city, half deconstructed.

"We get a lot of people through here. . . Do you have a description or wanted poster?" He asked, genuinely not knowing who exactly she was speaking of.

Zahra dug through a nomad pack she carried on her back. Eventually she found what she was looking for and produced a giant sized wanted poster.

The bartender looked it over as did all the villagers. Nobody said anything, grateful that the man had saved the hunters and weren't willing to give him up to anyone.

"Hmm. . . I don't think I've seen him here. . " The bartender said, scratching the back of his neck.

He wasn't sure if Zahra bought the story, but she didn't push it any further.

"Ok. . .well. . If you see him let me know, won't you? I couldn't bear to see anyone in your peaceful little village get hurt by him." She said politely, before they turned to leave.

They had just reached the edge of town, when a voice called out to them.

"I saw him!"



Stuck with Julius, I drove the wagon along the coastal path. He still seemed full of questions, and eventually he couldn't hold them in and blurted out.

"What will you do if you find this woman?" He asked, staring at me. "Will you call your sister for help?"

"Do you ever take a breath?" I asked, completely exhausted with talking about the daughters.

"I'm just nervous! To me, it sounds like we should just stay in Kleindell and leave with them!" He said, pointing behind us.

"I can't. . Just leave everyone to die. As much as I want to stop taking life, it seems I'm too deep to walk away."

"Don't you guys enjoy killing giants?" He asked, confused.

"That is a myth that humans and giants created! My brother and I tried to put that behind us." I said, defensively.

"Where is he? Your brother?"

"I haven't seen him in almost two months. He took my horse and went to deliver a message and never came back." I said, just staring straight ahead.

"You don't think that one of the three daughters-

"Shut up!" I interuppted him, not wanting to consider the possibility.

"I'm just saying!" He answered, quietly.

"Jacob wouldn't fight them! And he wouldn't be caught by them!" I said, harshly as we carried on.


". . . . I'm sorry. ." Julius muttered, turning away from me.

A while later, we rode into the city, and didn't bother to play games or conceal our identity. Oddly, there weren't many people in the village, and they all seemed to have worried expressions on their faces. All eyes were on us as we made our way to the local inn.

Julius made arrangements with the inn keeper and we went to our room. We decided to just stay in and wait the night out. My identity as a slayer had been exposed in the last 2 cities I had been in, and I knew that sooner or later, somebody unfavorable would catch on to it. Going to bed early and seeing what we could find out tomorrow was our best bet.


At least. . . . That is what we thought.



Some time in the middle of the night, I was awoken by the sound of somebody whispering outside our room. In the pitch black I couldn't tell if maybe it was Julius talking to the inn keeper or other people staying there, though it seemed like we were the only ones.

I had no more than closed my eyes again, ignoring the voice, when chaos broke loose. 4 men with swords and lanterns burst into the room. I chose not to draw my sword as both myself and Julius were apprehended and dragged outside

By this time, Julius has learned to trust me and follow my lead. My philosophy was that you learn more when people think they are in control of the situation. As such, our weapons were stripped and we were shoved to the ground at the feet of a slender man in his 40's.

"What's the meaning of this?!" Julius screamed as he struggled against a guard.

"Gentlemen. . . I know this all might seem a bit confusing but, I just want you to know that it isn't personal." He said, his voice actually having some regret to it.

"What are you talking about?" I demanded, playing my role in all of this.

"You see. . . You two just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Myself. . . . The villagers. . . We have a massive problem on our hands and it's forced us to get. . . . Regrettable with how we solve it. " he explained, dancing around the truth.

"What kind of problem? Maybe we can help!" Julius offered as he continued to fight.

"Oh I assure you. . . You ARE helping." The man said, before turning to walk away.

Julius looked to me, and I shook my head no. I usually tried to keep my identity secret, but dealing with a giant of this magnitude, not having my sword right off the bat could mean a quick death. That meant I was going to just muscle my way out right now.


I began to stand and though the guard tried to force me back down, he had zero effect on my movement. The other two joined in, but I knocked them all away with one arm. I immediately took my sword and stared the man down.

"Listen. . . My friend here is a handler of problems! And he doesn't so much appreciate being treated like that!" Julius said as he shook off the last guard.

"Are. . . Are you a giant slayer!?" He exclaimed.

I only chuckled.

"You have to help us!" He demanded.

"We'll help you. . . For a price." Julius replied smoothly.

I was a little surprised by him. I didn't know just how much like Cassius he really was.

"How much?" The man asked, worry in his eyes.

"Everything." Was the simple answer he got.

Even I was shocked at this. I didnt know Julius all that well, but I could see similarities between his actions and Cassius. . . . Did life under Emelia's rule really warp the conscience of everyone in that city?

Apparently, the village leader was just as shocked as I was.

"EVERYTHING? ARE YOU MAD?!" He screamed at Julius.

Julius kept his cool.

"How much is freedom worth to you?" He asked, coldly.

It was pitch black outside, but I could tell the man's face was red now. He only huffed, and signaled for us to follow him. We walked down an alley and into the back of a Hall. He sat us down, and calmed himself before he spoke.

"IF. . . You can handle our giant problem. . . . . We will give you all the gold we have." He said, begrudgingly. "But there is no "running her off". Either she dies or we have no deal!" He said, pounding his fist on the wooden table.


"Tell us what you're dealing with." I said, looking the man in the eye.


His men exchanged worried looks.


"Juliette. . . . That despicable wench!" The man spat. "She came out of nowhere one day 4 months ago. Demanded 15 humans to go with her to be workers. . . . We had just captured a gang of bandits so we didn't think much of handing them over. Things seemed normal. . . until exactly one month later when she returned again. . . . And again demanded 15 humans."


"Again we gave her bandits and again she disappeared but we knew if she returned a third time, that we wouldn't have enough. One month later. . . . ."the man who had taken over the story trailed off.



"We did what we had to do to keep the village safe! 6 travelers supplemented the 15." He said, sorrow in his voice.



"And that is what you were going to do to us if we hadn't fought you off!?" Julius shouted at the man.


"What choice do we have? Juliette comes in two days and she will get her 15 whether it be by our selection, or hers!" He shouted back.


"Let me rest for the night, and I will come up with a plan tomorrow." I said finally.


The next morning, I awoke to a woman bringing me breakfast in bed. She seemed cheerful and glad to see me. Julius was nowhere to be seen. I left the inn and walked out into the street. The village seemed to be a buzz and I could feel eyes upon me as I just wandered down the lane not really doing anything in particular.


The truth is. . . I didn't have a plan. I never usually did. If what everyone said was true, then Juliette was going to be the biggest and strongest giant I had ever faced. It's not something a man wants to dwell on, seeing as how I had almost been killed in my last fight.



Luckily, the villagers helped keep my mind off of what was to come. Word had already spread about my identity and now it seemed I was loved and famous here. Men and women waved and cheered for me as I walked and they all seemed much more relaxed than the day before. I guess "everything" was a price these people were willing to pay.


Speaking of people who charge an arm and a leg, I still hadn't seen Julius anywhere today. I imagine he was out swindling the villagers but that didn't really bother me. What did bother me, was the upcoming fight. It was like. . . . I couldn't see my life beyond this particular town. I hadn't really ever felt like this. . . But I also hadn't really been sober this long in a long time.



The first day drug on much the same way. Cheerful villagers, and just waiting around. Nobody really knew where Juliette actually came from. She just appeared from the forest, took the prisoners and left again. The rumor was that she was taking them to work in a mine somewhere, but the problem is the amount of ground a giant could cover.

Even if she was taking humans from different villages in this immediate area,it didnt necessarily mean that she was based here. She could easily be just about anywhere in the the southern part of the kingdom or crossing the border back into giant territory.

Eventually Julius did turn up. He was with the village leader, giving him some advice on how to run a city. . . . Figures. Julius' promises of freedom had really warmed this man over. So much so that we were invited to his house for supper that night.

We sat around the dinner table with his family. His wife, and 4 kids were overjoyed to have company and we were bombarded with questions. . . . Well, I was anyway. .,. Julius' story is admittedly hundreds of years shorter than mine but he told the tale of our meeting with as much gusto as anyone I had ever heard. From there, naturally i turned to the bottle for entertainment. Julius got into it just as deep as I was, enjoying the wealth that was coming to us. Things got wild and one thing led to another. By the next morning I was laying in bed with 2 women and an extreme hangover.

I had barely even opened my eyes when a man stuck his head in the door.

"Our scout has spotted Juliette! She will be here in three minutes!" He said, urgency in his voice.

I was drug out of my room and surrounded by all the villagers as we waited. A moment later, birds flew out of the trees and the sound of footsteps echoed, just before Juliette emerged.
Chapter 10 by Stevie
Author's Notes:

If you are familiar with the soul caliber games, in my head Juliette looks exactly like sophitia, but wields Siegfried's sword.  Google that for visual reference.

Juliette. . . .


My first time seeing her.


She was "impressive" to say the least. Easily the biggest giant I had ever seen. The thing about giants is, they grow in proportion. So while there were definitely giants with heavier set frames, all of her body would be bigger than a man or woman of the same build but shorter height. At the same time, a giant could be fatter but would still weigh less than any giant taller than them. The density was odd with their race. It was one of the world's mysteries.



But her size wasn't the only thing about her. . . . Her appearance was next level as well. She appeared to be about my age, maybe a little younger. Early 20's in human years. Genuinely one of the most beautiful women I had ever layed eyes on. It was a beauty reserved for inside the walls of the kings castle. Her golden blonde hair was twisted into two long braids that hung down to her chest. . . . . Her ample chest.

The sweat glistened off of her breasts in the early morning sunlight. It appeared as if she had been running or something. They jiggled and swayed as she walked down through the clearing on the edge of the village and it looked as though her top could barely contain the weight. And what an odd top it was. . .

Juliette wore a perfectly white dress that reached just down to her thighs and had brown leather laces down the front, holding it together. On her hands were the only sign that she was a warrior of any kind. She wore leather gauntlets with only the tips of her fingers poking through and iron studs on the knuckles. Her whole attire was reminiscent of depictions of the goddesses. All the way down to her sandals.

The sandals were strange as well. Most women human or giant usually wore boots due to the amount of rain and mud we have in this region, but here she was with open toed sandals that wrapped around her calves and had iron plates that would protect the top of her feet from attacks. Sandals that pounded the ground with a weight I knew I couldn't survive. .

Is this how humans felt all the time?. . . . Some level of helplessness.

But. . . . . Her appearance wasn't the most striking feature about her. That was her sword.

It was massive!

Beyond massive in the obvious sense of it being a giant's weapon, but massive in proportion to her own body. Comically so even. The blade was just as wide as her waist and about 2/3's as long as she was tall with a very thin and delicate handle. The scabbard was beautifully stitched and had intricate carvings in ancient giant dialect. Absolutely gorgeous.


It honestly didn't look like she would even have the strength to wield it, but here it was, strung across her back as she strutted toward us. The last thing of note was the cage she carried on her hand.



With her long strides she was on us in a moment and she looked flustered as she set the cage down in front of us and opened it to us.


"Sorry I'm late! I accidentally overslept this morning." She said, her voice surprisingly kind and gentle sounding. She seemed genuinely apologetic as she brushed a strand of hair out of her face.

The village leader stepped out of the crowd confidently and just stared up at the behemoth of a woman before him. She was breathing deep like she had been running and wasn't paying attention to him as she caught her breath.

Then he spoke.

"It doesn't matter! Because nobody is going with you today!" He shouted up at her defiantly.

Seemingly oblivious to his intent, her face went from slightly tired, to worried. She knelt down and examined the cage like she expected to see a gaping hole in it.

"What? Why not?! Is something the matter?" She asked, looking to the man.

"Today we are making our stand. No more innocent people will be going with you, for we have a hero who will end your life on this day! A famous giant slayer!" He declared, boldly.

As if on cue, I was shoved out of the crowd from behind to stand next to the man. A second later, he stepped back, and I was left face to face with Juliette. She didn't exactly seem impressed as she looked me over, but her face shown no arrogance either. Her worried expression twisted into one of puzzle.

"You. . . Are a giant slayer?" She asked, standing up to her full height and casting the whole town into shadow. Someone in the crowd gasped.

I said nothing, just staring her down.

"I only ask because. . . You have no sword or weapon of any kind. We were always taught that a giant slayer has an unbreakable bond to his sword." She said, politely.

On instinct, I reached over my shoulder and grabbed air. . . . . . My sword wasn't there! I looked behind me, but it was nowhere to be seen. I must have left it inside during my. . . . Nightime outing. . My heart began to pound as I turned to face Juliette again.

"That's no problem. . . . If you don't fight with a weapon, than neither will I." She said calmly, before she took the sword off of her back and leaned the giant blade against the face of a nearby building, before turning back to me.

She took a deep breath, before raising her fists like a brawler in a tavern. She truly intended to fight me bare knuckle. What an odd woman this was.

"Are you ready?" She asked, watching me over her gauntlets.

This is not how I wanted this to go, but what choice did I have. In hand to hand combat, giants had a serious advantage because although we were equal in strength, the effect of our force being focused into a "pin point" just due to our size, was nullified without our swords cutting edge.

I nodded to her and immediately she made her move. I narrowly avoided being obliterated by a stomp that crumbled a nearby house with the force of the shockwave. I sprinted to my right, kicked off of the wall of a building and jumped toward her. She made an attempt to punch me out of the air but I dodged it, grabbing on to her gauntlet, before hurling myself at her face. The move gave me clear access to her face, and I brought my fist back to lay into her.

Then she did something that shocked me.

I clearly had an opening, but at the last second I saw her eyes track me, and before her brain even should have had time to process my movement, her head snapped forward and I was smashed down with a brutal headbutt.

I was stunned by the pure speed of her movement. She shouldn't have been able to react in time, but here I was gliding toward the ground, although I never made it there.

Before I could land, her knee came up to meet me. . . Accompanied by the familiar sound of my bones adjusting to a "different configuration" also known as "cracked" as the massive appendage rose, lofting me limply into the air, defenseless.

I knew I was in serious trouble now. My eyes barely caught the movement of her hands as they went from clenched fists at her sides, perfect for balance as she smashed me with her knee, into interlocked above me, awaiting my trajectory.


It all happened so slowly. Her hands reached a peak, high above her head. Her body rippled as her muscles tensed up and her two giant hands began their descent to meet me like a giant hammer. And meet me they did. . . . With more force than I had ever experienced in my entire life. Juliette followed through and I was smashed into the ground below with so much force that the ground splintered out and up through the walls of buildings on both sides of the street causing them to crack and collapse in a cloud of dust. Terrified screams erupted from the villagers as they fled for cover from raining debris.

Amidst the dust and chaos, I heard Juliette take two steps forward and when everything finally settled, I was met with two giant, pale blue eyes examining me as she crouched over my crumpled form. My first move was to stand before she could pin me down, but literally no muscle in my body responded. I surged again, but still nothing.

I was used to ignoring pain, but this was the first time I actually stopped to notice it. It. . . . Was more than I had ever felt. Every inch of my body felt destroyed. Despite all the strength of a giant, I couldn't even lift something as light as my own body.

"Please. . . Please just stop struggling! All of your bones are broken. Your muscles have nothing to hold on to. . . . The fight is over." Juliette said, looking me over and seeing me struggle to move.

To my surprise, her voice held no ill will or malice. None of the condescension I had come to know from giants in her position. There was something else there. . . . Pity? Regret maybe?

"You fought hard and well, warrior. . . Please. . Allow me to end your suffering. . " Juliette said softly as she stood back up.

I could only watch as she looked down on me, biting her lower lip. Indecision on her face.

"I. . Promised myself I wouldn't take any life today. . . I've been doing so well with it lately. . . But this is different. This is mercy." She said, more to herself than to me.

I could only watch with indifference as a giant, leather sandal was lifted above me, poised to crush me with no resistance. I knew the weight behind it. I knew that it could flatten me, even if my body wasn't already broken. . . It was a knowledge that was harder to swallow considering I had fought more times than I could count, and that had never been the case.

Without further ceremony, I closed my eyes and just waited to be sent to the afterlife. A second later I felt the wind from her foot.

"STOP!" A voice rang out.

I opened my eyes to see that the sandal had come to a stop level with the ground. If I had not been pounded so deeply into the ground, I would be dead now. Juliette placed her foot back on the ground and looked to see that Julius had separated from the crowd and was on his knees, begging for my life.

Juliette focused on him with a furrowed brow.

"You would have him suffer?" She demanded, stepping over me looming over Julius. "His body is completely broken! There is zero chance of his survival, and even if he did, he would never walk again. This is merciful and kind!"

"We'll do it! We'll end him! I. . . I just can't bear to see him crushed into the dirt like some bug!" Julius shouted passionately.

His words must have moved Juliette because she didn't smash him into a pulp. Instead, she just shrugged before turning and retrieving her sword. Unfortunately next she picked up the cage and placed it in front of the crowd, tapping the roof of it with her finger.

Everyone looked to the leader for guidance, but he just hung his head in defeat. From behind him, men kissed their families goodbye before stepping into the cage. Before long, 15 stood inside. With a pleasant smile, Juliette went to reach for the handle but paused. Her smile faded into a troubled frown as she looked the crowd over.

A second later, her massive hand reached out. The leader cowered in fear as Juliette came straight for him, but ultimately passed over and grabbed the young boy standing behind him. A scream of terror came from the boy's mother, the leader's wife as the boy was whisked away and stuffed into her cleavage.

The leader went from fear to anger in a heartbeat.

"JULIETTE! YOU GIVE ME BACK MY SON!" He bellowed, pushing through the crowd to stand at her feet. "YOU GOT YOUR 15 humans! MY BOY IS INNOCENT! HE'S NOT A PART OF THIS!"

"Florence says "no indiscretion can go unpunished." You tried to have me killed. It didn't work and so now you lose your son as payment for your defiance.: She replied, as if she had no choice in the matter.

In anger, the man drew his sword and tried to attack Juliette's foot. It was common knowledge that a human blade, no matter how sharp it seemed, didnt possess an edge sharp enough to cut giant skin and this was no exception as it just harmlessly glanced off of her toe. There was an audible gasp as Juliette merely brushed him aside with her foot but the force was enough to throw him against the wall of a nearby building with a sickening thud.

With that, she picked up the cage and turned to leave. The man managed to get to his feet, and scramble over to me.

"SLAYER! SLAYER! YOU GET UP AND YOU GET MY SON BACK YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF GARBAGE!" He screamed at the top of his lungs and I was kicked and stomped as Juliette's footsteps faded into the distance. "DO YOU HEAR ME? WE GAVE YOU EVERYTHING!"

At this point, I knew I had no choice. I had to use "the prayer". It was a last resort in any scenario, but I figured I was going to be dead in a few minutes anyway. I closed my eyes and amongst the abuse, I let the goddess in.

Immediately my insides began to burn, the price of offering the goddess an unsatisfactory vessel. The more damaged the body, the more your soul burned when the goddess took control. This was the most intense it had ever been and I was made to feel it directly as she went to work on me.

Before the crowd, my eyes began to glow green and they watched in disbelief as my bones began to crack and snap back into place. A moment later, my body rose unnaturally from the crater Juliette had created with it. The leader stood back from me like I had the plague now. I myself was only along for the ride as the goddess of death stepped from the hole.


The entire crowd was dead silent as they witnessed something they didn't understand in the least. They watched as my arm rose, and my sword flew to my outstretched hand, guided by some unseen force. They watched as my body took aim at Juliette walking down the path, about to disappear into the woods. Finally, they watched as I unleashed a violent vertical slash that produced a massive, violent tower of green energy nearly as tall as Juliette herself.

It screamed down the path towards her back as she walked unsuspecting down the path. The beam ripped the faces off the buildings as it passed, intent on taking Juliette's life. It appeared the aim was true as it neared the target, but suddenly something unexpected happened.

Without ever turning around to see the attack, in one swift, graceful movement, Juliette performed a pirouette, drew her gigantic sword and effortlessly deflected the attack, guiding it gently skyward where it dissipated harmlessly in the sunlight. All this before returning the sword to the scabbard before she had even completed her 360 degree spin. It was the fastest sword draw I had ever seen from a giant. Once you factored in the size and weight of her sword. . .

This woman was unreal.

I was entirely sure the whole thing had happened too fast for the humans to even witness it. They stood speechless. Juliette stood motionless, facing away from us. Time stood still as I waited for whatever would happen next.

Slowly Juliette turned her head to look at me. The look on her face didn't bode well for me, as for the first time I saw what looked like irritation on it. It may have been from the underhanded tactic of attacking an enemy whose back is turned but I'll never know for sure. All I knew is that at any moment she would likely return and stomp me into dust.

I never got the chance to find out.

As soon as our eyes met, the energy boost from the goddess ran out, and the last thing thing I saw was her before I collapsed face down in the dirt.




I was jarred awake some time later. I opened my eyes and saw the blue sky moving slowly by.

I was still alive. . . And what's more, my body was no longer in excruciating pain. It still ached like crazy but I tried to lift my arms and was successful. I lifted my head to see where I was and my spirit ultimately dropped.

I was in the back of a wagon.

My sister was nursing me back to health.

3 other kingdom slayers were in the cart too. An older man drove the cart. Beside him, a dark haired man around my own age sat, sharpening a knife. Opposite my sister was a woman, also working on repairing my body. She had wild spiked hair and looked to be slightly older than myself.



"What the hell is going on here?!" I demanded.

"Calm down. You were dying, face down in that trashy little town and we rescued you." My sister said, pushing me back down to a resting position.

"Where is Julius. . . .and Cassius?" I asked, confused.

"Cassius offered to stay back." She said, but it felt like she wasn't telling me everything.

"And Julius?"

"The village is. . . Holding on to him. . .until we bring some human boy home." She explained, as if she didn't actually have all the details.

"Where are we?" I asked, rubbing a pain in my arm.

"250 miles into giant country." She replied, casually.

That information didn't really mean too much to me at this point. There was no changing the facts now. I was just along for the ride.

"So where are we going?"

"We are about 40 miles away from Juliette's mine. The plan is to-

"Lady Abigail!" The man driving the cart said, concern in his voice.

We looked up, and immediately we knew what the problem was. As soon as we crested the hill, we saw two giant men leaning against a couple trees on the side of the path. The driver continued on but stopped when the man on the left, a heavier set middle aged man, stepped out in front of us. While the path was wide enough for two giant carts to pass by each other, the horses weren't anywhere near fast enough to get around him or escape in a chase. The right side of the road was bordered by the steep rocky mountain face. The left was almost a sheer drop off with tall trees completely covering it, their tops basically level with the rosd

I knew this was a bad situation. Not for us though. . . . For them. My sister was not known for being particularly patient or forgiving when it came to nonsense and it looked exactly like what these two men had in mind. Slayers for the crown also had a reputation for killing giants indescriminantly when provoked so this was a bad situation just waiting to happen.

The man crouched down to look at us, and his eyes got big when he saw me.

"You!" He said, pointing at me. "Get out of the cart."

My sister was shaking her head but I pushed past her and stepped out to face the man. He stood, and pulled out a scroll, looking back and forth between me and it.

"Are you Antony the undead?" He demanded, turning the scroll around and revealing a scaled up wanted poster of me.

The one thing that giants and humans shared were their wanted posters. They each worked together to size up and scale down the posters for bounty purposes.

"That isn't me." I said, inspecting the poster. "You must be mistaken."

By this time, my sister had walked up behind me, putting a hand on my shoulder, but the other slayers remained seated as my sister had instructed them.

"So you're saying that you aren't Antony the undead who recently visited Ellenworth in the human realm?" He asked, more telling me that I was him than asking me if I was.

"What are you getting at, friend?" I asked, raising an eyebrow and unconsciously my hand found its way to my sword hilt.

Now, the other man, a tall skinny bald man stepped out on to the path as well. Behind us, a giant woman appeared from behind another tree, surrounding us. She looked familiar some how, but I couldn't place the face.

"What I'm GETTING AT, is that our baby sister was murdered there, by a slayer matching your description!" The man shouted, shaking the ground with his voice.

That is when it hit me! The woman looked almost exactly like Emelia! Not that it really mattered now, but this was her family apparently.

"I've never been to Ellenworth, friend. That city has a certain reputation that normal people tend to avoid!" I said, playing it cool.

I could tell they weren't buying it, and the woman stepped in closer behind us.

Seeing as how a fight was pretty much unavoidable now, I decided to throw caution to the wind.

"Hmm. . . Well. . . . I'm sorry for your loss, gentleman. . Ma'am." I said, politely. "Amd since I took your lovely sister Emily from you, in all fairness. . . You can have MY sister in exchange."

My sister's jaw dropped as I gently pushed her and She stumbled out ahead of me. She turned and glared daggers through me as the bald man let out a perverted chuckle.


"Heh!. . . We could have some fun with her!" He said, with genuine interest.

It was common knowledge that in the seedy underground of the giant cities, there was a market for human sized women, and this man seemed to want to take part.

That was a mistake on his part. My sister's face turned a dark shade of red, and her fists clenched. I didn't know if it was going to be me, or the man that would get the brunt of her wrath, but the first gentleman didn't even entertain the idea.

"HER NAME WAS EMELIA!" the female giant roared from behind us.

"Our quarrel is with you, slayer!" The man said, drawing a staff that was on his back. "We would have paid a visit to Ellenworth, but unfortunately, the princess already crushed it! It's almost a shame that she didn't get her hands on you as well! Leonara isn't quite as forgiving as we are!" He chuckled.


"So what are you planning to do?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

Just then, the giantess behind us lunged forward in an attempt to stomp the wagon. A dark haired slayer jumped from the wagon and shoved it out of the way. The driver whipped the horses and got the wagon into the clear before it took damage. The younger man drew his sword and faced off with the woman, waiting for my sister to give the order. The woman got out and had also pulled her sword.

The man in front of us thrust his staff, looking to impale me with it and though i saw the attack coming a mile away, it was all I could do to just barely dodge. My sister on the other hand squared up and caught the staff with her bare hands, getting pushed back a bit but ultimately digging in and stopping it dead. The man's eyes got wide as the staff was yanked from his hands. I truly thought my sister was going to throw it back and kill him with it but to my surprise, she just heaved it down the mountain into the trees.

Somehow, this nonviolent act set off a vicious series of events.

The giantess decided to fight dirty, kicking a wave of dirt at the two slayers facing off with her. The man turned himself, and the chunks of rock and soil peppered him. The woman evaded, dashing to her right before she let fly with an attack of her own.

A streak of white energy burst from her blade in a horizontal slash that found its way to the giant woman's arm. It was severed immediately right above the elbow and fell lifelessly to the ground. As expected, she let out a blood curdling scream as her blood sprayed everywhere. She stumbled around before blood loss took it's effect and she tumbled to the side, off the edge of the path and down into the trees below, disappearing.

The slayer who had been covered in dirt, shook it off, before his eyes met with my sister's. He sprinted at her and they locked hands. As the giant man stood in shock of his sister apparently falling to her death, he didn't defend himself as my sister spun, swinging the slayer by his arm, picking up speed before hurling him at the face of the giant man.

It all happened so fast that the giant didn't likely even see it before he was dead. The slayer collided with his face, driving his sword into the giants skull right between his eyes. The forward moment drove the man back, stiff as a board as he fell. The slayer road him down, stepping off of his face casually as the giant hit the ground with a massive crash.

At this point, the bald man had figured out that they had chosen to mess with the wrong group of people. Terror was burned into his eyes as he saw his brother dead at his feet with a tiny sword hole in his forehead and his sister's arm laying in the dirt. It was all too much for both him and myself but unlike him, I didn't run.

Unfortunately, it would be the last mistake he would ever make. He shamelessly dropped his tough guy routine and scrambled to get as far away from us as possible. Immediately I felt the murderous intent emanating off of my sister like raw, dry heat. It was instinct. The natural urge to kill giants. Probably the reason both humans and giants agreed that our kind was blood thirsty.

She drew her terrible blade, a double edged, two handed broadsword made of steel the color of blood.

Alexandra.


Abigail closed her eyes and whispered a prayer to the weapon and it instantly turned Orange. She hefted the blade in traditional broadsword style, with a spinning vertical slash, a move I had seen her use countless times. Similar to my attack against Emelia, only as sharp as if it had been used yesterday, a perfectly focused bolt of energy blasted from her sword.

The attack seemed to have a mind of its own, and an appetite for flesh as it hunted down its target. It caught up with the man a few paces on, and that was the end of him. Unlike Emelia, who had suffered more internal injury than anything else, her brother was cut clean in half. The kicker was that the attack was so hot, it cauterized the halves and not a drop of blood was spilled.

The left side of the man fell awkwardly into the trees below, and the right ended up strewn against the rock face on the right. The whole scene was in incredibly bad taste, but I knew by the company I was keeping that it was going to stay that way. Slayers in general weren't big on cleaning up their messes.

The look on my face must have said it all, because my sister made a comment as she helped me back to the cart.

"Don't tell me you're suddenly uncomfortable with all this!" She said, with a grin. "There was a time not so long ago, when I had to fight you and Jacob for a kill! Now suddenly, out of nowhere, both of you decide you're done fighting all together unless you are about to be killed? And even then, you half ass it!" She finished, boosting me into the back of the cart.

The dark haired slayer was cleaning the blood from his sword as he walked up. The woman had since gotten back in as well.

"I understand you're injured, but this is the last time I'm cleaning up your messes!" He said rudely, pointing his sword at me. "A slayer who is afraid to kill is worthless to us out here."

"Leave him be, Jag! Right now, he is the only person to survive an encounter with this "Juliette". He is lucky to be alive at all, let alone be able to fight so soon." The driver said, as he immediately took off after the man climbed in.

"No, he is right, Thomas! We are at war! Now is not the time to negotiate or make deals with the enemy!" The woman interjected. "And you see where his "peaceful ways" got him! Ellenworth is in ruin because of him!" She said accusingly.

"Ellenworth was freed because of him!" My sister said loudly, finally standing up for me. "And we are done talking about it!" She added. "Ant comes through when it counts."

The woman only huffed and turned away.

"Well he better! This is no game! We don't know what we are walking into with this!" The younger man "Jag" spat from the front seat.

"I have a plan! We are going to scout first, see how many giants are on guard. We don't need to free all the humans. Just the boy. The goal is not to initiate a full scale battle at the mine, but if you get the chance at a clean assassination on Juliette, you take it." My sister commanded.
Chapter 11 by Stevie
As we continued on, the temperature began to drop, as it often does in the mountains. I'm not sure if it is the work of the gods or not, but the earth always seemed to take on the attributes of the race living in the area. In the hundreds of years since the giants had run the humans out of this area, the trees had since grown to be the same scale to the giants, that a normal tree was to humans.


I say this because we did eventually find Juliette's mine, and though it was massive in scale, it was entirely surrounded by monster trees. Trees that my group was now hiding in. Since we had been there surveying the area, it had begun to snow and even the flakes seemed bigger than they were in the human realm.


As expected, the already cold temperatures of the giant mountains, coupled with the snow and the fact that we could use no fire, made traveling with these 4 uptight, by the book, kingdom slayers almost unbearable. There really was no consolation to it, though I tried to find one.



"Do you see those tents there? It appears that they are using giant labor as well here." My sister said, pointing out the row of housing and bonfires on the far edge of the mine.


"I count 5 guards on patrol" the older man said, adding to the bigger picture. " There must be more though. 5 guards aren't enough to police the amount of potential workers in those tents."

"See there! On the hill. . . . I'll bet you anything that is where Juliette stays!" The woman pointed out, motioning to a large stone structure on the othet side of the mine, he with the glow of candles in the windows.

It definitely looked like the type of place she would stay. . . Considering the rest of the "accommodations" here.

"Ok. . . Let's get some rest. Hopefully this snow storm passes. We will see how the camp operates tomorrow and decide how to proceed." Abigail said, clearing a spot in the snow and sitting down, leaning back against the trunk of the tree we were in.

"Why don't we just ambush them now?!" The dark haired slayer "Jag" said, stomping his foot. " There are 5 of us! The guards don't look much like warriors. Let's just wipe out everyone and be done with it!"

"We don't ambush them because I'm saying not to, and I'm in charge." My sister growled. "The goal is to leave here with all the people we came here with. We don't need a repeat of Glemshire, do we?"

. . . .

"DO WE?" She repeated, loudly.

"No. . . " The man said quietly.

"What happened in Glemshire?" I asked casually as I sat down beside Abigail in the snow.

The three other slayers looked at each other and their faces showed irritation.

"Leonara happened. . " The older man said, begrudgingly.

"We. . . Had a troop of 10 slayers waiting in Glemshire for her. We had information that said she was on her way there. Everything was planned. Every detail. . ." The woman said, staring off into the night.

"She arrived out of nowhere with not a single sign. Out of thin air in the middle of the city at midnight. 3 slayers dead before we even had a clue what was going on. 4 more as we battled on. That cruel demon! We barely escaped with our lives. Luckily the city was evacuated prior but she crushed it anyway." The older man said, continuing the story.

Unfortunately, I had already decided I didn't like these three and was unsympathetic to their plight.

"Well. . . . That does sound like quite the ordeal." I said, sarcastically.

"You don't really sound like you get the gravity of the situation!" Jag said angrily, taking a step toward me.

"Oh I get the gravity. . . I mean I did just face Juliette by myself!" I said, yawning involuntarily.

"Yeah, and we just got done scraping your crumpled form off the street, didn't we? After you sent a distress message and chose not to wait for help! Isn't that right, little brother?" The woman asked, irritation in her voice.

I always hated that mentality. The thought that all slayers were family just by way of creation. Maybe in the beginning that was true. Maybe we were just weapons. . . But now we were something different and as individual as either of the other races.

"That isn't exactly how I remember it, but that isn't really important." I said dismissively, purposely trying to piss the trio off.

"I'm surprised you can remember anything at all with how hard she hit you! We saw the crater she put you in. . . Folks don't walk away from that too often, let alone lay dying in the street for 2 days and another 3 in a cart with a fever." The older man said, knowingly.

"Yeah?. . .well I do. What's your point?" I asked, knowing full well what he was getting at.

My use of the death goddess' help. It was frowned upon by probably 99% of slayers. It was said that it changes a man. Gives him dark tendencies. Maybe that is true, but I'm here now trying to make amends. Besides, I didn't seek her out. She offers her power to anyone in need. Since few take it, she has power to spare and thus the user who does choose it becomes even stronger. It's perfectly logical. . .

"I think you know. . " The man replied, darkly.

"Hmm" was my response, as I closed my eyes and huddled close to my sister for warmth.

"Look at that! Dabbles in the unnatural and still sleeps like a baby on big sister's tit!" Jag said begrudgingly as he walked further down the trunk and assumed a similar position to ours.

The woman and older man followed suit, gathering on the opposite side of Abigail and staying tight for heat. The man produced a large blanket and covered the 5 of us.

Sometime early in the morning I awoke. The sun was just thinking of rising and it took me a moment to remember where I was. In the night, we had been covered in about a foot of snow and it was completely covering all of us. Nobody else seemed to be awake, and I saw my opportunity to do some investigating on my own.

I carefully slipped away from the group and made my way through the tree tops on the edge of the mine. Below, both giants and humans had begun to stir. Women of both sizes tended to campfires while men put on their tools and headed to the base of the mine, a few miles down the stretch.

After a few minutes of running, I finally reached my destination. The stone building. Using a low branch, I slipped in through the window, standing on the window sill. Inside was not what I expected at all.

First of all, it was perfectly clean. Nothing out of place. Next, it was deceivingly luxurious inside. It has everything you would expect in a royal bedroom from the 4 post bed, to the-


Shit. . . . There she is. . . Juliette. Across from the window, in some type of strange bath that was heated by it's own fireplace was Juliette. This style of tub was something I had never seen before. Granted, before my spirit of the woods endeavor, it had been a couple years since I had been to giant country, but generally human and giant technology advanced at roughly the same pace, at least in the rural areas.

Her eyes were closed as she relaxed in the massive tub. It was so big that she actually managed to look small in it. Behind her, another woman outside the tub was gently washing her back and shoulders. The woman looked to be from one of the more wild giant tribes. Her skin was orange and her short, spikey hair was white with dark blue eyes. She wore brown servants robes and was barefoot.

As they both seemed occupied, I used the opportunity to move closer. I passed the threshold to drop down to a table below but as soon as I stepped inside, something felt immediately wrong. I instantly felt cold, and the air around me felt heavy some how.

Ignoring my instincts, I dropped to the table, which held a bunch of what looked like custom black smithing tools messily strewn about. The cage she had with her the day we fought was also there. Walking past them, I stopped at the edge and took the building in.

Next to the 4 post bed, Juliette's giant sword was leaning against the wall. On her nightstand, a little cage, though I couldn't see if the boy was in there. Further right, the tub and beyond that, what must have been the servants bed. In the corner across from that, a spotless kitchen and kitchen table with a vace full of flowers.

"Are you just here to ogle me and my home or are you going to try to rescue the little boy?"

The voice shocked me from my trance, but when I looked over, Juliette wasn't even looking at me. Her eyes were still closed as the servant moved to massaging her giant, exposed breasts now. I didn't respond, not wanting to give myself away unnecessarily, though I couldn't look away either.

"Yes I'm talking to you, little slayer on my work bench." She said, confirming that I was discovered.

"Well. . . . The boy IS my main priority, but killing you would be a nice bonus for me." I said, leaning up against a hammer she had on the table.

"I think both you and that conniving city leader Jonathan will be relieved to know that I've decided to keep the boy as my pet, so you have nothing to worry about. He has been adopted by royalty and will have a better life than he could ever have imagined growing up in that little village!" Juliette informed me, as if she was doing him some huge favor.

I had to stifle a snarky laugh before I spoke. "As much of an honor as I'm sure you think that is, the boy needs his father!" I said, my tone sharp with authority.

"Huh. . . You know who else enjoyed the company of their father?" Juliette asked rethorically, her own voice showing me the first hint of any emotion since I had been there.

"I am truly sorry for your loss Juliette, but I nor that boy nor Jonathan had anything to do with with your father's death! The boy is coming with me!" I shouted at her.

She let out a prissy huff before speaking.

"You dare to raise your voice with me, you tiny peasant!?" She demanded in upset disbelief. "And I'm so sure that a blood thirsty little slayer like you is so sorry that a giant was murdered in cold blood just about as far away from human realm as he could be!" She spat at me. "I've decided the boy is mine, and there is nothing you can do to change my mind!" She finished, and her decree had all the legality you would expect from a princess.


"Nothing I can do huh?" I asked, gripping my sword.

Juliette only laughed. . . Which was unnerving because at this point she still hadn't opened her eyes even once and was currently naked in a bath tub.

"What? An honorable man such as yourself would attack a naked, unarmed woman while she bathes? Though. . . . You have already proven yourself to be less than fair in combat, haven't you?" She asked, smoothly.

The servant girl continued to massage nonchalantly as two enemies moved closer and closer to some type of engagement. She seemed utterly unphased by my presence as she put vigor into rubbing Juliette down.

"Aww, I see you even brought your sword with you this time!" Juliette fawned, feigning joy like one would do when speaking to a small child. "Although, you might find it difficult to reach me from where you're standing."

Was she serious? Granted, the last time we faced off I was under the influence of the death goddess, but I still launched an attack from over a quarter mile away. It should have been obvious that I could probably cut through her, her servant and the back wall at this distance.

As if reading my thoughts, she decided to challenge me.

"Go on! Give it your best shot, little man." She prodded, eyes still closed.

I stayed calm, not allowing myself to get drawn into a trap. "The names Ant." I said.


She only chuckled again

"Well ANT. . . . I wonder. . .have you figured out the weight in this room yet, or is it fear that stays your blade?"

"What are you talking about?" I demanded.

"Hmm. . .what indeed?" She repeated smuggly. "See, if you couldn't already feel it, this building has some. . .special characteristics when it comes to people like you. It took quite a bit of work to make it so. . . . Hunting down the list of slayers that the gods demanded, the blood sacrifices. . . . But it was worth the peace of mind that you worms couldn't ever perpetrate another assassination the likes of my father's!"

Suddenly, I understood what that feeling was that I had when I entered the window. . . My connection to the gods. . . . It was gone! Sure enough, when I closed my eyes and whispered the most basic of prayers. . . . Nothing. This. . . . This was a problem.

"Now you get it!" She said, with a slight grin. "Your precious gods can't hear you inside these walls!. . . Or. . . "Won't". I'm not sure which exactly but never the less! Now you know what it feels like to be forsaken by those who created you. Those who were said to love and protect you, not create something new just to exterminate you for being nothing more than what you are!" She finished, her tone more cold than I had heard it thus far.

The weight of her words hit me with about as much force as she had days prior. The coldness seemed to further tighten it's grip on me now.

"I have to tell you. . .It's not too late to flee, little one. Scurry back through the window like a timid little field mouse and back into the hole I left you in!" She laughed, as did the servant for the first time. "Before I decide to crush you for good this time!"

I was honestly beginning to get angry now. I didn't often use my emotions in battle, but this woman was effortlessly toying with me, and hadn't even bothered to open her eyes yet. Could she really see me as that little of a threat to her?

As if to drive the point home, Juliette waved her servant off, and turned a knob that seemed to add more heat to the bath. She sunk under the water until only her head was above and her unbraided hair floated strewn about on the surface. She sighed a deep sigh of relaxation just to rub it in.


"Ooh! And just who is this angry little man?" Juliette asked suddenly, her voice back to her normal, bubbly self.

I cocked an eyebrow, unsure of if she meant me, but then I looked behind me to see Jag standing in the window sill now. His look was pure hatred, but I wasn't sure if it was directed at me, or her.

"Why haven't you killed her yet!?" He screamed at me.

He jumped down from the ledge to the table and stormed toward me, blade drawn. The thing was, although he was coming for me, I sensed no intention to kill me. He closed his eyes, and said a prayer as he drew his sword back for a vertical slash. I stepped out of the way as the man let loose in Juliette's direction. . . .

Let loose with a pathetic attack that did nothing but cut the air in front of him. . .

A look of confusion showed on his face, but it was short lived. In his hesitation, the now on guard servant girl delivered a punch that sent him flying back to the wall where the table butted up against it. He bounced off of it hard, chipping a bit of stone but ultimately landed on his feet, dazed. Again she took advantage of this and struck with another punch. This one plowed into him and continued on into the wall, smashing him between and crumbling more of the old brick work.

He was barely conscious now, and his sword fell from his hand and clanged to the table. The woman's fist turned to open palm as she picked up the rag doll of a man and carried him over to the nightstand. Here, she reached down and grabbed a different, much more stout cage than the one for the humans. This one had thick bars and looked to only fit one person.

She flicked open the door to it and crammed him inside, before shutting and locking it. She gave it a shake before placing it on the edge of the bath down by where Juliette's feet were.

Seeing this brutality woke me up, and I drew my sword. Knowing she wouldn't have the element of surprise, the servant girl wrapped her hand in a towel so that she could stop my blade from stabbing her before squaring off against me.


She decided to make the first move, swinging her now club sized fist down to crush me into the table. Unfortunately, her movements were nowhere near quick enough and I lept on to her arm, running up it to get to her face. Instinctively, she made a grab for me with her other hand but withdrew it just in the nick of time as I gave her a counter attack that surely would have cut off at least two fingers.

Seeing the final opening, I jumped to drive my blade through her forehead but at the last second I was hit from the side. A massive (to me) splash of water came from the bath tub as Juliette intervened to save her servant. The woman was drenched, but she looked thankful for the help.

I on the other hand lost my balance and plummeted to the floor. I managed to tuck and stumble but it put me off balance for the next attack. All I saw was shadow and dirty sole before I was stomped into the wooden floor.

Because I wasn't fully healed yet from Juliette's first beating, one stomp was all it took to put me down, though the servant girl took good care to mash all of my limbs thoroughly into uselessness. From there, her foot was lifted, and I was picked up. Though her face was soaked, she had a big grin on it, likely due to the fact that she had managed to best 2 slayers in the course of about 1 minute.

I heard her dig again in the nightstand but this time she retried something I didn't recognize. It appeared to be a small (by giant standards) sock but what was interesting is that it seemed to be made of some type of steel fiber and had a loop rope at the top.

I had no time to ponder it though, as my body was stuffed inside. It was designed so that the prisoner's head was the only thing left outside and as the woman pulled on the string, the whole sock became nearly skin tight and closed around my neck, restricting my breathing. Finally, in one final humiliating gesture, the rope was hung from a hook above the water at Juliette's feet.

The servant girl collected our swords, and stuck them in a pin cushion on the work bench I hadn't noticed before. I watched them blend in amongst the other dozen or so slayers blades before she replaced it.

"I'm going to go warn the guards of other possible accomplices to these two. It could be an ambush." She said, as she pulled on a pair of boots and walked out the door, leaving us alone with Juliette.

"As I was saying, before your little friend decided to join us" Juliette began, and opened her eyes for the first time since I had been there.

For a split second, they appeared pure white, before they returned to their normal pale blue.

"You slayers have no unnatural ability here. Through research and appeal to reason, my sister made sure of that."

"What have you done!" The man in the cage screamed at her, rattling the cage.

"It's simple really. . . . In here, the playing field is level. True, Leo intended for it to be a defensive measure, but if we were to fight. . It would be natural swordsmanship vs natural swordsmanship. No long range attacks. No rising from the dead. None of the other numerous party tricks that your kind employs."

"Yeah, except for about the 124 feet of height and who knows how many pounds you have on us, it would be totally fair!" I said, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

Juliette only shrugged and smirked at us.


As I thought about it, it only made sense that the giants would seek to find some type of advantage over slayers eventually and it seemed now is that time.

"The whole process is sort of boring, but long story short, we gathered a few slayers that the gods had become unhappy with, and their blood sacrifice enabled us to ask prayers of the gods. . . . To an extent anyway. Our. . . Rocky relationship. . With the humans meant that we could only ask for so much, but safety in our homes was within reason. Especially after you monsters murdered the original giant!" She explained, her mouth just barely out of the water as she regarded us.

"So what are you going to do to us?" I asked, through struggled breathing.

"You boys are in luck!" She replied with a genuine smile as her foot emerged from the water and poked me in the chest causing me to swing uncontrollably. It seemed to amuse her as she let out a cute giggle. "Usually I would just execute you painlessly but, today is special because my sister is coming to camp to pick up a shipment of weapons on her way back to the capital. I think you two will make great additions to her research. Like a little gift!" She said, extremely pleased with the thought of giving us to her sister.

My initial thought was "weapons?" But my associate heard something else entirely.

"Le-. . . Leonara?" He stammered, his fear obvious.

"That's right! Do you know her?" She asked, again flashing that childlike innocence she seemed to have.

"I know her! That monster killed 7 of my friends not 2 weeks ago!" He shouted at her, rattling his cage even more now.

She made a somehow cute thinking face, as if she was trying to comprehend what he was saying, before she suddenly stood and got out of the tub. We both stared up in awe. It should have been an amazing moment to witness her goddess-like body fully nude, but there was no arousal present. Somehow she just seemed unfathomably enormous when the gods weren't on your side.

She grabbed a towel and began to dry herself off as she spoke to him.

"I'm. . . Sorry to hear that." She replied, with a brief glance in our direction and with a hint of sadness. "But. . . This IS war after all."

This was met with a flurry of insults from him as he shook and rattled his cage. She seemed unphased as she pulled on her clothes layer by layer until she matched my last known memory of her.

"I really don't know what you want to hear, slayer. . ." She replied, if anything somewhat frustrated.

"My name is Jag!" He spat at her.

"Well Jag. . . As with every other adult, my sister does what she wants. I don't question her and she doesn't question me. I didn't mean to start a discussion. Whether you knew her was just a yes or no question. I'm sure she had a reason for her actions whether you agree with them or not." She finished, pulling her sandals on and lacing them up.


"Well boys, I'm off! I'll be back for you when my sister arrives!" She said cheerfully, before grabbing her mammoth sword and walking out, closing the door behind her.

"So. . . .. . . What do we do now?" I asked, slightly annoyed that he had followed me in the first place.

"I know that a "free lance" slayer like yourself might find it hard to believe, but it can be wise to tell your comrades where you are going when you leave, for moments just like this. As long as Leonara doesn't show up in the next few minutes, somebody should come along and get us out of here."

As if on cue and to my annoyance, a second later, a voice called from above us.

"What type of trouble did little brother get himself into now?" She called as the female slayer dropped down to the floor from the table.

"Shut your mouth and get us out of here! We need to leave. NOW!" He shouted at her.

"What's your hurry? I see you already drew yourself a bath!" She laughed as she in turn jumped up to the ledge and walked to his holding cell.

"Leo- Leonara is on her way here!" He barely managed to spit out.

The smile on the woman's face immediately disappeared and her whole body became pale. Right away she unlocked his cell and pulled me from over the water, before cutting the rope and releasing me. We retrieved our swords before making an exit through the window just as the servant girl walked back in.

Jag was just about to jump back into the trees, when he saw her return. He turned and drew his sword. He closed his eyes and was about to attack through the window, when suddenly an unseen guard spotted us. A split second later, Jag narrowly avoided a giant arrow through the chest.

We didn't wait around to see where it came from and just ran through the tree tops. Giant arrows shot through the trees at random and I had to dodge multiple times. Finally, we reached sister and the other man.

"Ok, we are found out. We need to go, right now." My sister commanded.

Our backs were against the wall so to speak as they surrounded the tree and blocked the entrance to the mine. Juliette herself was standing between two guards in the middle of the only real path out. Side by side, her height and size was truly obvious. Every part of her was just bigger than those grown giant men and she stood half a head taller than them. Her sword was drawn and the tip was resting on the ground so she didn't have to support it's weight.

"Looks like we are going to have to fight our way out." The old man said, drawing his sword.

"Fine with me!" Jag replied with a smile.

"Alright. Watch each other's backs. Jag, Olivia, and Thomas, you take the front. We will take the back. We escape through the first opening we see!" My sister said, pulling her own blade.

With all of our firepower drawn, we sprinted down the tree trunk and into battle.
Chapter 12 by Stevie
As we ran down the trunk of the massive tree dodging arrows from the guards, it became apparent how bad of condition my body was in. I was pretty much left behind and was the last one to reach the fight.


Abigail faced off with the first guard, a tall, slender man with a full beard sticking out from under his helmet.

He thrust at her with his spear but she easily blocked the tip with her sword, though it pushed her back a ways. She didn't really need my help, but I took advantage of the opening in his defense. I sprinted over, and up his spear. Using the elevation, I jumped and had punched a hole in the man's throat with my sword before he even knew what hit him.


He crashed to the ground and I pulled my sword, uncorking a fountain of blood from the hole. I looked back but my sister was already off fighting someone else. Toward the entrance, the other 3 were struggling with 3 guards. I didn't have time to watch, as I needed to deflect an arrow, but I did notice that Juliette was just standing, relaxed as she watched her guards fight us.



I turned back in time to see Abby send a slash that crashed into a shield. The man lunged forward with it, aiming to crush her into the ground. Abby saw the attack coming from a mile away and jumped up, running up the face of the shield. She covered the distance in two strides and used the momentum to land a brutal kick to the side of the man's face. His face was smashed to the side, and his body followed, plowing into the dirt.


It was then, that I noticed the mine workers for the first time. I often thought about how strange battles with slayers must have looked to other giants. From the human perspective, everyone can see the giant, plain as day. But from the other side, it must just look like your friends swinging weapons and fighting the air before falling down with gashes and limbs missing.


Inner monologue aside, they were watching all of this happen with a look of jealousy. Like they should be the ones who dispatch of Juliette and her crew. That said. . . .the Choice to release them was obvious.


In the heat of battle, I locked eyes with my sister and she read my mind. We sprinted away from the guards and made it to the first group of slaves. My sister, who was less protective of her sword, jammed it into the lock on the first prisoners shackle and with a twist, it popped open.


It only took a second for the guards to realize what we were doing before they came running. She had managed to free two more, before it was time to fight. The freed prisoners set to work releasing the others and by the time we had dealt with the first guard, the whole group of 8 was free.


We continued to fight, and dispatched the other guard as the prisoners freed the next of the remaining two groups. My mind crossed to helping the groups of humans, but the reality of the situation was that we were way too far into giant country for them to have any chance at escaping or really surviving at all on their own. I only hoped that whoever survived this battle didn't take out their frustrations on them.


It was at this point, that I heard one of the prisoners mention Juliette in a panicked voice and sure enough she was stomping toward us and. . . . She looked pissed.


The braver of the slaves continued freeing the others, and had worked through the second group, while the cowards took the opportunity to run, fleeing in any direction they could. Some make a break for the tree line, though it was so thick that movement would be next to impossible. Still others went for weapons that were on the other side of the mine in wooden crates waiting for Leonara.


The problem was, even with all the slaves freed, there wasn't much they could do against a woman with a sword nearly as tall as they were. One swing and she could likely cut 3 or 4 of them in half. For that reason, my sister decided to take her on to buy them time.


As Juliette approached, my sister closed her eyes and released one of the biggest attacks I had ever seen her use. The energy burned the air as it streaked toward Juliette. There was no time for grace or elegance now, and all Juliette could do was guard, jamming the tip of her sword into the ground to anchor it and crouching behind it.


My sister followed up, running the face of Juliette's blade before jumping high and plunging down for a killing blow to the head, but Juliette reacted too fast and dodged, rolling backward and onto her feet. Just as Abigail hit the ground, she countered with a high stomp that seemed to shake the whole camp.



In my mind, I knew that a brutal attack would be more than enough to kill even my sister if it connected. I only prayed that she was alright, and to my relief, when the dust cleared, she was standing about 30 feet back unscathed.


By this time, the men and women who had gone for weapons had returned, and now faced off with Juliette. I couldn't help but notice how small and malnourished they looked when compared to her. A man to her right took an overhead swing with a sword, but even though he was wide open to a counter attack, she only side stepped, and punched him in the face when his guard was down. He stumbled back and she raised her sword.


I thought she was going to behead him with a quick, horizontal cut, but at the last second of her swing, she turned the blade broad and just smacked the man in the side of the head with it. Even sparing his life though, the man was far from ok as he was smashed several feet away and landed unconscious in the dirt, his face bloody.


Next, a short, young man who didn't even look to be out of his teens attacked with a small dagger. Truthfully, the size difference between their blades was probably the difference in their strength as well. He was about eye level with her bust and his short reach offered no advantage as he slashed wildly at her. With extraordinary skill, she expertly dodged and danced around him, making sure that all he struck was air, before in one quick move, her hand shot out and grabbed him by the throat.


He immediately dropped the dagger as he was simultaneously choked and lifted off the ground as Juliette effortlessly held him higher than face to face then turned to face the other slaves.


"Do you lot honestly think you can start a rebellion here?" She asked, her tone cold and emotionless. "The truth is, all the guards are really only here to load weapons and tell me if any of you decide to act foolish. . . Just like you are right now."


By now, the boys face was turning blue and Juliette tossed him to the ground at his comrades feet before continuing.


"None of you stand a chance, not even all together. That's probably the reason why you got captured and brought here in the first place, isn't it? I strongly suggest that you stop this nonsense and go back to work. You can rest easy knowing that I won't kill you, as easy as that would be for me, but I won't hesitate to beat every last one of you to within an inch of your life." She threatened, and for the most part it worked as I heard the clang of a few swords on the rocky mine floor.


It seemed that our little distraction ended up being just that, but to their credit, we were just about gone by the time Juliette realized we weren't there anymore. The other 3 had finished off the guards and we had reconvened with them, before making a break for it. By this point, everyone was completely exhausted and we moved much slower than when we began. We were just about 150 yards to the treeline below the outskirts of the mine, when up the road, a giant black horse came galloping in with a female rider.

From the reaction of the trio, I knew the rider was definitely Leonara.

She stopped between us and the trees and the dismounted in front of us, cutting off our escape. She purposely landed heavily with both feet and the force knocked us backward and off our feet in a cloud of dust.

A smug laugh came from above us as she witnessed our pitiful state.

As the dust cleared, I got my first real look at her. For the 2nd time in less than a week, my perception of the limit of size was shattered. The extra 15 feet that she had on Juliette may as well have been a mile from where I was now. Her body was more slender than Juliette with less curves and longer legs. Her face was much the same as her sister's but her hair was infinitely darker and seemed longer, maybe because it was perfectly straight. The blackest I had ever seen and it covered her left eye. Her right eye was slightly darker than Juliette's, with a dark ring around the iris. I had to admit that Her gaze made me uncomfortable. Her outfit also matched Juliette's for the most part, except for it was entirely black as well. Instead of sandals, she had on ankle high boots with the trademark bone anklets like the one the young giant girl had been wearing and above them, black leather leggings.

She was grinning an unsettling grin as she bent at the waist and looked us over. There was a certain madness in her eye.

"So. . . You must be the ones responsible for the bodies I found up the road." She said, her voice quiet and sinister somehow. "And what a faction you are! 4 royal slayers and. . . " She paused, looking me over with that giant, intense blue eye. "An outcast, to say the least! A slayer definitely but. . . A fugitive from the crown maybe?" She thought aloud, raising an eyebrow. "Interesting indeed." She finished, before standing up again.

By this time, we were all back on our feet, blades drawn, but it was obvious we were worse for wear. Everyone was breathing heavy and the older man was struggling to keep his sword up. Leonara just folded her arms and looked down on us, not even bothering to touch the sword at her side.

"You shut your mouth, you monster!" Thomas shouted pointing a shaky finger at her.

"Do I. . Know you?" Leonara asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Less than two weeks ago. . . GLEMSHIRE!" He stated loudly.

It looked like Leonara was thinking for a moment before her eye lit up.

"Oh yeah! My ambush at Glemshire!" She exclaimed, as if she was greeting an old acquaintance. "I had honestly forgot about that!"

"What do you mean. . YOUR ambush?" Jag demanded, speaking up.

"Ha! You fools honestly thought YOU were ambushing ME? NO! How could any pathetic little human possibly know where I was going to go next, huh?. . . That conveniently talkative man in the bar? He was working for me! All I had to do was wait. I was actually hoping for more of you guys! Oh well!"

I looked over and all 4 of my comrades faces were pale. I guess this information was too much for them to process.

"You KILLED 7 of our friends! Is that not enough for you?! Olivia barked, utter shock on her face.

"Don't get me wrong, girl! It was a fair warm up, but so far you slayers really haven't lived up to the legend my father and the other elders would have us believe!"

"I've. . I've heard enough!" Thomas panted.


In spite of his exhaustion, Thomas stepped forward, facing her down. She only smirked, like the royal brat she was. He slowly raised his sword, said his prayer and swung. . .

The severe lack of energy resulted in an attack no taller than her head alone and she only moved her face slightly to the left to avoid the slow moving slash. She let out a genuine laugh, as if his pathetic attempt was the cutest thing she had ever seen.

But her joy in his failure was short lived, as she lifted her ankle boot and stomped it down on him. As her foot crashed down, my sister looked away. I didn't know her to be squeamish, but seeing a personal friend die might have been too much for her right now.

I, on the other hand continued to watch and was momentarily relieved to see that he had caught her foot and was (at least for the moment) holding her at bay. Leonara's face showed first surprise, then a bit of struggle as she tried to get her foot to the ground.

Beneath her foot, Thomas shook in his struggle, but then suddenly straightened up, successfully stopping her in her tracks. I honestly bought it for a moment, until I looked up and saw her face.

Before I could intervene, the struggled instantly melted into that horrific grin. A second later, Thomas was gone in a puff of dust with all the familiar sounds of a body being crushed under the foot of some uncaring blood whore. Her mouth emitted a sadistic laugh as she casually stepped toward us as if Thomas had just happened to be where her foot had landed. As she stepped off og him, only a crumpled pile of dirty, blood-soaked, green and silver cloak amd gore remained squashed in her boot print and every one of use moved back, probably unconsciously.

"Do you think he thought that he could hold honestly me back?" She asked, giggling. "What kind of royalty would I be if I couldn't crush commoners in a single step?"

Nobody replied, as we all stood in silence for our fallen comrade.


"You should see the look on your faces right now! They say slayers don't know fear, but you two. . . It looks as though you can barely even stand right now!" She commented, pointing at Jag and Myra. "Is this really all you little leeches have? Is this the extent of your strength once you've used up the gods?" She asked, her voice raising, and she seemed maybe not surprised, but disappointed.

"I'll. . . . I'll show you what I've got! For all my brothers and sisters you've killed!" Jag screamed before weakly throwing a slash. The energy was practically invisible and whatever amount did reach her, Leonara stopped with just her palm as the energy dissipated at her touch.

Jag's eyes got wide, both at his lack of remaining power and her ability to just bluntly stop his attack. Understandable fear was exchanged for terror and he did the only logical thing. . . He turned and ran. . .

Well. . . He tried to.

As if she was waiting for it, Leo bent at the waist and snatched Jag up by his cloak, dangling him at chest level. She brought her other hand in as a claw, poised to grab him. Her intense stare and slight grin led me to believe that she got genuine pleasure from this cruelty.

He swumg sword wildly, just trying to fend off her fingers, but she timed it perfectly and her hand shot out, grabbing him in her fist and knocking his sword out of his hand. It fell to the ground, useless. Without hesitation, she placed the tip of her boot on it and ground it into the dirt. Normal human steel would have either disintegrated or mangled beyond recognition but still Jag's blade was bent out of shape and most likely dull now.

With her foot resting on it, she regarded the tiny man with only his head sticking out from her fist. It was more than large enough to fit his entire body, and likely strong enough to crush coal into diamond if she wanted it so.

"Wow! That truly was a splendid display of ability!" She said, sarcastic joy in her voice. "But it appears that you lot honestly don't understand what is happening here, do you?" She asked, and she punctuated her question with a squeeze of her fist. Inside it, Jag groaned and something made a popping sound.

"See. . . You slayers go around fighting battles and using prayers and. . . As long as things are peaceful for the most part, a single slayers tap to the gods can be limitless. But. . . What if ten slayers need power. . Or 20. . . What if 1000 slayers need constant power? She asked, her voice becoming intense.

"The gods aren't some bottomless well! Even their power has limits. So, let's say a certain giant keeps a large amount of slayers occupied and fighting nearly everyday. . .praying. Suddenly there isn't as much power to go around." She finished, grinning wildly.

It was all beginning to make sense now.

Florence.

Florence was more or less a distraction. Or. . .the workhorse maybe? She was fighting the most densely populated fights, and forcing slayers to use up all the power of the gods, causing the rest of us to run short and be more easily exterminated.

"And now here you are! Miles from home and out of juice!" She said, grinning in his face and giving him another squeeze, earning another crunch as he groaned in pain.

Without a word, she switched up her grip so that his whole torso was exposed. His chest looked visibly crushed and he didn't seem long for this world. He didn't even struggle as she took his left arm between her fingers.

Before we could act, his arm gave a stomach churning snap as she broke it. Jag screamed at the top of his lungs as his arm fell limply to his side.

"I wonder. . . Will your friends even try to help you if they don't have their little prayers?" Leonara asked Jag, looking between him and us with a smirk.

This got Olivia's attention, and she made a move. Instead of wasting her energy with a prayer, she reared back and threw her sword as hard as she could end over end. It cut through the air with a whistle but Leonara was a bit too fast and she moved out of the way and watched it fly by

She let out a chuckle and turned back to Olivia.

"Nice try." Was all she said.

Olivia collapsed to her knees in dispair. Leonara turned her attention back to the broken slayer in her hand.


Her pupils seemed to get bigger as her thumb found it's way to the side of his head. She was loving this, and snapping his neck would be the ultimate high.

I knew Jag wouldn't take much more, and as the only one who seemed to have still have enough energy to fight back, it was now or never. Closing my eyes, I invited the goddess in. This time, there was very little burn, as my body was in much better condition now, all things considered.

Working with her, I released massive burst that I purposely aimed low and got more than the desired effect. The attack tore into the ground, kicking up a colossal cloud of dirt and dust on it's way to it's target and this time. . . There was no just shrugging it off.

As the attack closed in, the grin disappeared from Leo's face and her eyes got wide. At the last possible second, she was forced to drop Jag and draw her sword. Unfortunately, she was able to block the attack, though it actually managed to knock her back a few steps.

Either way, we had our opening.

Under the cover of dust, in one tandem action, Olivia caught Jag, my sister grabbed both Thomas' badge of honor and Jag's sword and we all 3 sprinted the rest of the way to the trees where we disappeared from view.

As the dust settled, I looked up through the branches and saw Leonara glaring down at us as we made our descent into the thick foliage. Noticably, she had blood trickling down from somewhere her hair covered her face. At this point, there was nothing more she could do. Though the trees were to her scale, the leaves and branches were too thick and dense for her or any giant to even attempt to follow. In one last show of her displeasure, Leo kicked a foot full of coarse mine sand down into the trees on top of us before turning and thundering away.

We slowly made our way to where Thomas had stashed the wagon. With Jag loaded in the back, and me driving, we started for home at full speed. The troublesome part, was that we were exposed in the middle of the morning in giant country. The path wasn't too highly traveled, but we had a verbal agreement that we would kill anyone who tried to stop us, no questions asked.

[Back at the mine]


This was a disaster.

Leonara knew it.

Juliette knew it.

In the course of about 13 minutes, half of the guards had been killed, and half of the slaves had escaped now, some of them taking the brand new weapons with them.

The sisters began their duty of helping the wounded, after the slaves who were too afraid to run were locked up again. They didn't bother to chase the others. They wouldn't get far. The mine was in a remote part of the eastern mountains. There wasn't any civilization for miles, and even so. . . They were all clearly branded with the mark of the crown.

Any village they came across would immediately apprehend them and hold them until a representative arrived to collect them.

"I can't believe this happeded!" Juliette fumed through tears as she cleaned a stomach wound on one of the guards. "Things were going so well, too!"

"Calm down! Nothing has changed. If anything, this can work to our advantage." Leo said, as she moved from wrapping a man's arm with bandage, to bringing him water from a barrel outside the tent.

"How do you mean? There are 8 guards dead! When Florence finds out that we couldn't handle 5 slayers, even with all of the guards. . . . " Juliette trailed off, not wanting to think about the consequences their sister might bring for.

"You were ambushed Julie! This was an assassination attempt and a coordinated attack on behalf of the human king! An act of war if I have ever seen one! Once the word gets out that they tried to kill two of the princesses. . . There won't be enough room in the army for everyone who enlists!" Leo said, enthusiastically.

"Just leave it to me, baby sister. I will take the weapons to the capital as planned. I think it's time we start on phase 2 of the plan anyway. Why don't you start with that little town where you met that slayer, hmm?"

An old smile crept across Juliette's face. It had been so long since she had really let loose on anyone. It would feel great to get back into the swing of it.

"But. . . Before you do that. . . You should pay a visit to that village down the mountain."

"For what?" Juliette asked as she finished wrapping the man's stomach and helped him lay down on a cot.

"Find out exactly who our little slayer friend was. I'm 100% sure he has a bounty. I want you to. . . Raise it. . . A little bit. Get people interested in him and his subsequent capture and return to the royal family. . . . ALIVE." Leo explained, her grin returning for the first time since that slayer had attacked her.
Chapter 13: Juliette's return by Stevie
Author's Notes:

The dark side of Juliette emerges. 

It was a beautiful day. The sun had finally come out after 4 days of rain. Jonathan was working in his garden on the edge of the village. Working the garden had become the only thing that kept his mind off of his son and that giant bitch, Juliette.



"What was that?" Jonathan said to himself, looking to the forest as animals fled and birds took to the sky.


He put down his hoe and walked cautiously out into the path. It was then that he felt the tremor. He paused, thinking he might have imagined it. He stood for minutes, just listening. . . . But nothing.



"What are you doing, Jonathan?" His wife asked, sticking her head out the door of their home.


"I. . . . Thought I heard something. . . Someone." Jonathan said, cryptically.


"Please just come back inside Jonathan. Its been a rough couple of weeks, but everything will be ok. Those slayers will get our son back." She said, hope in her voice.


"Do you really believe that, Samantha? You saw what Juliette did to that man! What chance do any of them have?!" Jonathan shouted.


Just then, they both felt and heard the tremor.


Tremors.


Trees snapping.


Jonathan's eyes got wide as he saw her once again emerge from the trees like he had seen her do too many times before.


Juliette.



But. . . Something wasn't right. It wasn't time. It had only been two weeks since they had given her the last group of 15. Sure, they had traded off the slayer's companion for 10 humans, but that still meant that 5 of the village would be taken as well.


That wasn't the only thing that troubled him. The look on Juliette's face. He had never seen her like this. Although she had taken a terrible toll on their lives, she had always been. . . . Friendly. . . But now. . .


She wore a scowl. Her walk was completely different. . . . None of this felt right.



"Juliette! We. . I. . What are you doing here?!" Jonathan stammered, as she chewed up the distance between them. "It's only been two weeks. . . We don't quiet have the 15 people yet. . . But we will. . .We. . . .WE NEED MORE TIME!" He screamed as Juliette approached, never breaking stride.


By the time Jonathan realized she wasn't stopping, it was too late. He turned to run but a shadow immediately overtook him. A second later he was gone. Snuffed out like nothing under Juliette's sandal as if he wasn't even there.


His wife screamed in horror as her husband was turned into a greasy red smudge in the dirt, flattened into the massive footprint his nemesis left behind. . . . But she wasn't done yet. The woman's scream caught her attention and Juliette turned her attention to the house.

Jonathan's wife darted back into the house but it was no use. In one step, Juliette was over the house. She got down on one knee and with no effort, peeled the roof off of the home. Inside, Samantha hid under a table. It was all she could do to protect herself.

Juliette was about to grab her, when a teenaged boy came running out of a side bedroom. He was wielding a pitchfork and tried to stab Juliette in the hand as she reached for his mother. Unfortunately the attack did nothing but catch her attention. With a flick of her wrist, the boy was tossed against the wall, knocked unconscious.

Juliette returned her attention to Samantha, picking up the heavy wooden table and crushing it to splinters in her hand, before tossing the chunks aside. Samantha scrambled to escape but Juliette was just too big and was able to subdue her inside her fist.

The first squeeze turned her cries for mercy into groans as Juliette's grip tightened marginally. The second turned the groans into a gargled mess of unintelligible noises and tears. The third and final squeeze cause blood and innards to escape her mouth and her eyes to bleed as Juliette's fist closed as tight as it could.

After seeing her victim was dead, Juliette dropped the crumpled husk but before she left, she unceremoniously crushed the boy under her fist before she stood and continued on to the city.




Daniel looked up from his drink, as the earth began to shake with footsteps. A feeling he was beginning to know all too well. He had slayed 3 giants in the last 2 years and had begun to make a name for himself in the smaller villages. 3 kills was a big deal for feral. It was just his luck that he was passing through this particular town at this particular time.



Feral slayers had only become common in the last 100 years or so. Ferals were giant slayers who weren't trained in the ancient ways. While they were still just as strong physically as classically trained slayers, they were never taught to use prayers, proper swordsmanship and strategy for facing skilled fighters so they were utterly ineffective at long range and against more skilled opponents or weapons users.

He set down his cup and ran outside to chaos. The street was blocked with the rubble of a crushed building and people were screaming and running aimlessly in any direction. Daniel jumped over the pile of brick and caught his first glimpse of the attacker. A blonde woman in a white dress, her footsteps echoing as screams were silenced with every stomp.

Daniel jumped on to the roof of a building and sized her up. She. . . Was big. Much much bigger than the 75 foot giant he had slayed 8 months ago. Not that it made any difference. He had killed 3 of them so far, and this would be the fourth. The fact that she carried a sword. . . That massive, massive sword was also foreign to him. Until now, he thought giants only used clubs and other blunt objects, but here she was, humongous blade strapped to her back.

Juliette was about to stomp down on a fleeing woman when she felt a small presence to her right. There, on top of a roof, was a slayer. She could feel his familiar energy. It was one of the abilities the gods had given her and her sisters. Juliette clenched her fists as Ant stared her down. . . . Or at least she thought it was. Her vision cleared and she could see that it was merely a boy.

Ever since that day at the mine, Juliette couldn't get Ant out of her head. If not for him, the slaves wouldn't have escaped. Her reputation would still be intact with Florence and the world wouldn't think that she was just some little girl who needed protection.


And so here was this boy. He couldn't have been more than 150 years old. A scrawny little thing in peasant's clothes, deciding to stand up to a princess of the giant kingdom. Usually, Juliette would have just bullied the little twerp, beaten him up a bit but ultimately let him go. . . But today. . . Today wasn't the day.

"I don't know what your problem is, but you're done here!" Daniel said, addressing her with his sword.

He didn't let her reply as he jumped into action. He lept forward, aiming for her face. This attack had worked in the past, and it would work again. At least it should have.

Juliette saw the brutally slow and direct attack from a mile away, and just moved her head out of the way. Daniel sailed by, shock on his face as his attack missed its mark but he never got the chance to touch the ground. Juliette reached back and snagged him by his cloak.


She wasted no time taunting him and just immediately hurled him back the way he had came, smashing him through the side of a building, only using a fraction of her true strength. Juliette had already decided she wasn't just going to crush this boy. Ant had fouled her mood and anyone who got in her way was going to suffer.

By this time all the humans had escaped the street and were running desperately for the edge of town.

The woods.

Juliette didn't allow it. In three steps she had cut them off. Screams of terror erupted as she loomed over them. The crowd scattered like a splash of water as her foot came down on them. The people unfortunate enough to get caught underfoot were pulverized, while the others were merely tossed to the side.

Daniel rose from the ruins of the building and crawled back into the street. He could see Juliette at the other end of the street, but he couldn't attack her from there. He sprinted as fast as he could, building up speed before he attacked her calf, hoping to slow her down. He had a clear opening, as she stomped a man crawling for the safety of a building and he drew his sword back to severe her leg.

Again this little pest attacked but it was of no consequence to Juliet. In a heartbeat, she drew her sword and stuck it point first into the ground. The boy was moving far too fast to avoid it and though he took a swipe at it with his sword, he still bounced off of it and deflected to the right. Before he could recover, Juliette snatched him up.

She took the time to kick a man struggling with freeing a panicing horse from a cart before she tossed the slayer straight up above her head, at least 300 feet up, and just let him fall back to the ground before continuing her rampage.

By now the town's people had either escaped into the woods or organized the weapons they had been assembling ever since the first time Juliette had shown up. 6 men had worked together to roll out a massive rolling crossbow and had the 4 giant, foot diameter wooden arrows loaded while a horse drew back the bow. None of them actually knew if the crossbow would be enough to even harm Juliette but the size of it was promising if anything.

Inevitably. . . As soon as Juliette spotted them after tossing some poor soul like a rag doll, urgency turned to panic. A man fumbled with a knife as Juliette pulled her sword from the ground. He got it under control and hacked the trigger rope just as she lifted her sword above her head to smash them.

The arrows rocketed from the bow in a cloud of dust and rope, the recoil spooking the horse. The men watched in slow motion as the arrows flew across the length of the town. They seemed to be on target, but it didn't matter. In the blink of an eye, Juliette flashed her strength as her sword went from above her head in an attack position to swing down and cut all the arrows clean in half.

The men had zero time to be disappointed as Juliette once again raised her sword and this time successfully smashed it down, splintering the crossbow into toothpicks and scattering the men along with the shrapnel. Before they could recover, Juliette snuffed out every one of them and mangled the horse.


The next half hour was a blur for Daniel as he was repeatedly smashed, blocked, tossed and just outright embarrassed by this giant woman. He had been unable to land a single blow against her and it seemed that she was content with just hurting him, and holding her true strength back as to not kill him. Meanwhile she had systematically crushed the entire city and everyone in it, even taking the time to hunt down the humans who had escaped into the forest until there was no man, woman or child left alive.


Now he lay, barely breathing, face up in the street, the last place he had landed following a bouncing from the woman that put him down for the count. He still clutched his sword, but his hand could hardly muster the strength to hold it.

He could hear her moving around but he couldn't see her. He could only see the blue sky, tainted by a black smoke that rolled off of some of the buildings that were burning now, through half swollen eyes It. . . Had began such a beautiful day. Now though. . . . Now his fate was unclear.

His inner thoughts were interuppted as the woman appeared above him. . . So high above him. She looked down at him, and he saw just a hint of pity in her eyes, although her actions were completely devoid of any. Any anything beyond cruelty and hatred it seemed.

"Why? . . . Why are you doing this?" He asked, weakly.

"Why?. . " Juliette repeated, thoughtfully. "I suppose the short answer is because I can! These people slighted me. Dared to try and kill royalty! Unacceptable!" Juliette declared, stamping her foot.

"Then why. . ." He managed to say between coughs. "Why haven't you killed me yet?"

"Because young slayer. . .killing you right away would be the easy way out for you. No. . . . You got to live with the fact that all these people died and there was not a thing that you could do about it!" Juliette said, her expression neutral, despite her words.

"So what? You're just going to leave me here to die then?! Daniel shouted, his voice horse from the dirt this woman had forced him to eat.

"I'm afraid not. . . As much as every slayer deserves to die in the street like a dog, from dehydration or blood loss. . . I already let one dead man go, out of some stupid decision to have mercy . . And he still haunts me even now! She explained, as she reached down and picked the man up with no resistance.

Daniel didn't know what she meant exactly, but he could tell she was bitter about something.

"I've been trying to change my ways. . .in a misguided attempt to. . I don't know. . . Repair. . . My soul? I guess. . . But the first time I give a slayer a second chance. . . Instead of counting his blessings and just continuing to live to the best of his ability. . . He follows me. . . . Accosts me in my home. . . . Kills my guards. . Lets the slaves go. ."

For the first time, Juliette looked down and noticed she had unconsciously been squeezing the boy as she spoke. His face was turning purple and blue by the time she realized what she was doing and loosened her grip.

"I'm sorry! My trials and tribulations are. . . Nothing you should have to hear about. It's just. . . My older sister Florence is the one I usually talk to about these things, but I'm afraid she might be disappointed with me after she finds out what happens. . . That and she isn't around right now. . " Juliette trailed off.

Without another word, she reached out with her other hand and grabbed Daniel's sword. She tried to pull it from him but he held in with all his strength. Juliette wrapped her fingers around his legs and tugged to separate the two.

"No! I don't care if you kill me, but you're not taking my sword!" He screamed.

"Correction, I am taking your sword. But it's not in veign." She replied, and with a big tug, she successfully plucked it from him, before tucking it away.

He was left dangling upside down by his feet in her hand.

"Look!" She said as she pulled her sword partially and held him up to her shoulder to see it. "Do you see the difference in the edge from the rest of the blade? It's my own special design. A mix of rare metals, but most of it is slayer's blade. It helps my sword to stand up to physical attacks as well as prayer based ones. So your own sword will continue on long after you're gone. . . There is honor in that."

The boy said nothing. He had officially reached the lowest point in his life. Crushed by this woman and she didn't even break a sweat. Unable to save anyone. His sword taken from him. But his ordeal wasn't over yet.

Juliette knelt down and Daniel watched her push her powerful fingers into the ground and scoop out a giant handful, placing it aside. He was confused until she began to lower him down toward it.

A grave.

By this point, he was too out of energy to do much of anything just scream and cry as Juliette placed him gently in the ground.

"This. . . This is nothing personal, little one. I just cannot risk anymore ghosts." She said, her voice unsure and soft. With that, she stood and used her foot to push the dirt back into the hole.

She took a deep breath and raised her foot.

There was no doubt in her mind that the first stomped killed him. Since she had grown past 120 feet tall some decades ago, no slayer had been able to withstand her weight or her power. But this wasn't about killing him. It was about his soul.

It was said that the soul lingers in the body for around 5 minutes after a person dies. So that is how long she had to seal it in the ground. She used two more heavy stomps, before just stepping regularly to pack the dirt in. When she finished, there was a newly formed rock tomb in the ground. She was entirely sure that this slayers soul wouldn't be coming back like Ant's had and so she was satisfied with her work.

She hadn't truly rampaged a village in so long and it felt good. . .right somehow. It should have felt great, but thoughts of Antony Lockwood still plagued her.

Oh the things she would do to him when she got her hands on him.
Chapter 14 by Stevie
It took us just about 3 days and 2 unfortunate deaths to finally reach the border between our two worlds.



"Finally we're back!" Olivia exclaimed, jumping out of the wagon.


It was definitely good to be out of giant country after sitting in the cart the entire trip. We took shifts driving while the others either slept or worked on healing Jag. It wasn't that his body was beyond repair, but having little to no healing supplies on the road makes any job harder.


By the time we reached the border, he was back to a solid 50%. I too had healed up to 100% and though I wasn't looking for any more fights, I could at least hold my own without somebody watching over me.


"So now what then?" Jag asked, climbing weakly out of the cart.


"We head back to the capital. Gather reinforcements." Abby said, looking through the supplies on the cart.


"And what about him?" Olivia asked, motioning toward me.


"He. . . . " Abby began. "Can do whatever he feels like. He's free." She said softly, placing her hand on my chest. A moment later, the tracking prayer faded away.



"Your just letting him go?!" Olivia asked, in disbelief. "He's still a fugitive from the crown!"


"Yes. Well, whatever debt he may have owed the crown. . He's settled it." My sister said, and Olivia knew better than to question her further.


"But what WILL you do? That is the question?" Abby finished, looking me in the eye.


"I'll continue to fight. On my terms. Go where I feel I need to be." I told them, grabbing my pack out of the wagon and slinging it over my shoulder. "But first, I'm finding Jacob. "

"Ok. . . Well when you find him. . . . Tell him. . . I miss him." Abby said, solemnly.

And so we parted ways. The three of them heading east to the capital and me heading southeast to gather my travelling companions. As much as I would deny it if either one of them mentioned it, I did enjoy the company of Cassius and Julius.


The trip would have took forever if I had stayed on foot, so I stole a horse from the first camp I came across and another two days later, I was on the outskirts of the town where Juliette had crushed me the first time.


Every building on the main road was tore up or collapsed and there was a deep fissure where my attack had traveled. There was also a deep dish in the ground where Juliette had spun on her toes. All that damage, me not getting the man's son back, or killing Juliette meant that I definitely wasn't welco-


"Well, well! Looks who's back from the dead!" A voice interuppted my thoughts.

I turned to see Cassius emerge from behind some trees. We shook hands and he led me to his camp.

"I was beginning to think that you guys weren't coming back." He said as he poked the fire.

"The distance was far. The path trechorous." I said, taking a bite of some meat he had been grilling.

"And?" He questioned.

"And we survived. . . Well, most of us anyway."

"Is Juliette dead?!" He asked, though I felt he knew the answer.

For the next half hour I told him the tale of our little adventure and hearing it out loud only made me feel worse about the whole thing. Unavoidable I guess.

"So. . . What say we go get Julius and get on the road?" I said, standing up preparing to leave.

"Ant. . . " Cassius began. " Julius is gone." He said, his voice losing it's normal dry chipper.

"What do you mean. . "Gone?"

"The day after you left for the mine. . . . Zahra showed up."

He didn't need to say anymore.

"Somehow, your name came up in the conversation and the townspeople decided to trade Julius for 10 other humans. . . ."

"So your saying he's bait now?" I asked, climbing on my stolen horse.

"It looks that way. " he said, looking over his meager camp, before beginning to pack it up. "If he's lucky. . "


We began to ride East, further into human country.

"So, where are we going anyway?" Cassius asked as we rode.

"You are officially a part of my original mission to find my brother now. Before my sister so generously decided I was working for her." I said, as we rounded a wide bend.

"And what will you do about Julius? Not that I care anyway!"

"Believe me, if Zahra is actively looking for me, it isn't going to matter if we leave the area. She will come to us. . . Well. . Me anyway.

"Excuse my questions, but what does your brother have to do with anything?" Cassius asked, somewhat nervously.

"He is my best friend and greatest ally. We have been fighting together since he was old enough to wield his sword. For years, myself and my brother and sister were the stuff of nightmares for giants. We all killed as we pleased and had no regrets. Barely a conscious. " I explained, keeping pace with Cassius.

"But then, one day we got notice that all slayers were to report to the capital and were now in the employment of the crown. As you can see, my brother and I chose freedom. My sister chose otherwise."

"I can about imagine how that conversation went!" Cassius chuckled. "Your sister is frightening when she is in the best of moods!"

"Yeah, we. . . . Had a falling out that day. . . To say the least." I commented, not really wanting to get into that particular fight.

"If you haven't found him already, what makes you think you can find him now?"

"Nothing. Nothing at all." I replied honestly.

It obviously wasn't the answer that he was looking for, but there was no other. I just had to keep looking. Somebody had to know something and by this time I had searched a good portion of the the south west quarter of the kingdom. What I didn't tell him is that my brother wasn't the only person I was looking for. Days came and went as we drifted through villages and cities, questioning people in the slums and talking our way in with the royalty.

But still nobody had seen or heard anything on Jacob.

That's not to say that there weren't rumors of another slayer in the area. A slayer with a gift for medicine. . .


We stood at the door of the small hut built into the side of a hill.


"You sure this is the place?" Cassius asked, nervously looking around.


"Yeah. . It matches the description the lady from that village gave me." I said, looking at the directions from the woman.

"And who is this man. . .exactly?" Cassius asked, nervously.

"The surgeon" I replied, flatly.

"The surgeon?"

"Yeah. Peter "the surgeon" O'Flannery. " I elaborated, before knocking on the door.


There was a long silence.


"Peter!. . . Peter! You in there? It's me. . . . It's Ant."


There was another pause, before footsteps.


The door creaked open and a skinny man with glasses peered out. Upon seeing me, his eyes lit up.

"Antony Lockwood! What a sight for sore eyes!" He said, embracing me. "We. . I. . Thought you were dead!"

"May we come in?" I asked, quietly.

"Of course! Of course. . . . Umm. . Where's Jacob?" He asked, confused as we walked around him.

Cassius looked shocked as he walked in to see that the shack was both much much larger than the bit on the outside of the hill and also much nicer.

"I see that even in these darks times, you haven't lost your taste for the lavish, brother." I commented, looking the place over.

"And dark times indeed. . . Jacob?" He asked again.

"Missing. For going on 3 and a half months now." I said, as I took a seat at his table.

"What can I do to help?" Peter asked, also sitting down.

"I would LIKE. . To get the family back together. But I NEED some information." I said, looking him in the eye.

"Look Ant. . I will tell you whatever I can, but you know as well as I. . . These giants are. . . " he trailed off.

"What do you know of them, Peter? " I asked, leaning in.

"Ant. . . " Peter said, looking away.

"Peter, we need to know!"

"Ok, listen. . ." He began, and it felt like he was about to tell us something heavy.

"After the giant king was murdered. . . As in the day after it happened. Before anyone else but the royal family knew about it, Florence came to find me. I tried to fight her off, I tried to run, but she crushed me like nothing. Took her time and just played with me. Brought me to within an inch of my life, but that wasn't the end of it. She took me to the capital."

Both myself and Cassius looked at each other, worried.

"And what did she want, Peter?" I asked.

". . . Information. My research. Everything. They . . Wanted to know everything about us amd how we use prayers." He admitted.

"And you told them?!" I demanded, standing up and causing my chair to flip over.

"Ant. . .you have to understand. . . They were coming either way. . . You have to understand. . What they did to me while I was there! What she would have done to my family!" Peter said, with a hint of anger in his voice.

I really wanted to stay mad at him. . . But I couldn't. In my heart I knew that Peter had done his best and at the end of the day, that's all any of us could do. He wasn't known as the strongest slayer who ever lived, he was known as the most intelligent slayer who ever lived. Maybe the most intelligent person of any description anywhere in the world.

"It's fine, Peter. We can't change the past. The question is not why you did it, but what do you. . . No. . .What do WE plan to do about it now?!" I said, picking up my chair and looking between the two men before me.


Peter was silent, seemingly deep in thought. Finally he spoke.

"I'll join you. To regain what they took from me. What they made me do to my fellow man." He said, standing as well.

"What of your family?" Cassius asked.

"Gone. . . When the princess finally let me go, they were gone.

"Taken?" I asked, solemnly.

"There was no sign of it. I think she just took the girls and left. She was both afraid for her life and sick and tired of everything I am, I suppose. Luckily my daughters weren't around when she showed up, but my wife had to watch as Florence put me through the grinder. . . " Peter explained, but I could tell it was sore topic.

"Well. . . I would say if anyone deserves revenge. . . It's you." Cassius said, summing up the mood in the room.



"Alright. We ride tomorrow morning! But today. . . We drink!" I declared.




The next morning we left, once again heading east on Peter's suggestion.

"I gotta ask Ant. . . . Where have you been the last few years? You and Jacob just disappeared from the face of the earth!" Peter asked as we road 3 wide down the path.

"After that 5 giant siege on Fryaer. . . .after all the blood we spilled, giant and human. . . We had finally had enough. Both of us. We layed down our arms and walked away. Went into hiding. . . From the crown. . . From you guys. . . From everyone." I said, looking straight ahead.

"Ok. . . I can understand that. . . I guess. But then how are you involved now?" He asked.

"I hadn't seen my brother in a month. I was out in the outer rim just looking for him, sliding through life. . When I had the unfortunate luck of coming across fair Abigail."

That was enough information to give Peter the idea.

"And how is that. . .delicate flower?" He asked sarcastically, just making conversation.


"Strong and disagreeable as ever, I suppose." I answered, keeping it brief.


"That's good to hear. . . . But, now tell me what I'm not hearing. What are you not telling me? Why are you actually here?" He asked. In typical Peter fashion, he could somehow see the whole picture at all times.


"We fought them Pete. . . Juliette and Leonara. " I said, reluctantly.

"Well. . .you are still alive, so it can't be all bad news, can it?" He asked, trying to keep positive.

"We lost one. . . It was all we could do just to escape. . . . Something is happening Peter." I said, solemnly.

He was quiet and let me speak.

"They. . . Figured out a way to stop our prayers. On a limited scale at least. But you probably already knew that. . ." I finished.

"Yeah. . . " was the quiet answer he gave me.

"We also found out. . . . They are forcing us to use up all of the god's power. "

"What do you mean "use all of the god's power?" This time it was Cassius who spoke.

". . . . Florence. . ." I began.

"Florence is up north, fighting the bulk of the battles. That woman is a monster by any standard. Words don't. . . Can't do her justice." Peter said, with an involuntary shiver. "So she takes on as many slayers as they will send, gets them to use as many prayers as she can. With everyone asking of the gods, it takes a toll on them until eventually there is no power left."


"Is Florence really that strong?" Cassius asked in disbelief. "I mean, I get that she could beat one or two slayers at a time. . . . But as many slayers as can gather?"

"In the harsh terrain of the North, numbers mean less. It's almost impossible for humans or slayers to fight in snow up to their waist, but when that snow barely covers the toe of your boots. . . " I began.

"Suddenly it becomes a whole hell of a lot easier." Cassius said, finishing my thoughts.

"Exactly!" Peter exclaimed. "Likely a strategy that Leonara cooked up. And not a bad one at that."

"Yeah. . . Except how do you two plan to stop them?" Cassius asked, seriously.

"There's three of us here." I said, knowing it would get a rise out of him.

"Ha! That's funny!" He replied, chuckling. "Because I won't get crushed in the first two seconds of the battle!"

"Peter will protect you!" I said, reaching over and patting him on the back.

Peter laughed at this.

"So. . . Why do they call you the surgeon anyway?" Cassius asked Peter.

"Hmm. . ." Peter said thoughtfully, but didn't answer.

"They call him the surgeon. . . Because this man is a precision killer. What he lacks in the raw strength of someone like my sister-"

"Or yourself" Peter interuppted.

"Right. . . Well what he lacks in savage strength, he makes up for in accuracy. Pin point attacks on vital body parts until the job is done." I finished explaining.

"So no cutting giants in half then. . ." Cassius said, summing it up for himself.

"Not so much. Peter is one side of the balance that was our team." I said, just as we road into the town we were traveling to.


2 days and a few vague leads later, we were deep in the southern most forest in the human realm. The trees were old and huge, covered in moss and very dense. In the mornings, the fog held dense and the air had a heaviness to it here.

There were many legends about these woods. Strange creatures and evil spirits that would appear there. As slayers, myself and Peter were prepared to fight just about anything, but Cassius seemed shaken since we had entered. He had become silent and on his guard.

"You guys. . . You don't feel the dark energy here?" Cassius asked as we sat around the camp fire.

Every shadow that danced on the trees caught his attention and his eyes darted this way and that.

"Get some rest Cassius. I'll keep watch tonight and sleep tomorrow." I said, trying to ease his mind.

As he and Peter slept, my mind drifted to everything I had experienced in the past few weeks. From fighting Juliette the first time, to facing off with Leonara with my sister and her team. Thoughts of all the slayers running out of power. Of what type of monster this Florence must be, seeing as how her younger sisters seemed unbeatable on their own. All of this just seemed like all we were doing was buying minimal time for ourselves.


I'm not sure exactly when I fell asleep, but apparently whatever Cassius thought was lurking in the dark, decided to make it's move on us. .


"Ant!. . . . Ant!" I heard Cassius scream.

I rolled over, trying to ignore him.

"Ant!. . . Get your ass up and he-UGGGHHH"

My eyes were open just long enough to see a giant, shadowy figure looming over me in the fire light. A second later, my senses were rattled as whoever it was grabbed my legs, holding me in place, before something huge smashed my entire torso into the ground. I shook it off, but I still couldn't clearly see my attacker, and as such, two more blows pummeled me into a daze.

I immediately knew who I was dealing with.

"Well, well! Antony Lockwood!" A smooth voice came from above me, and the camp fire shifted with the wind to illuminate the smooth, ebony skin of Zahra on her knees above me. The outline of her afro puff back lit by the moon.

To my right, I saw that one of Zahra's girls, a pale skinned redhead was dangling Cassius by his cloak above the fire. His struggles only amused her as she bounced and jigged him like a tiny puppet as the flames licked at his feet. To the side of her, a slender orange skinned woman clutched Peter with both hands, trying her best to keep him under control.

"It's been too long, love! If I didn't know any better. . I'd say you were avoiding me!" Zahra said, sensually.

"Zahra! I wasn't. . . . Avoiding you. . Per say. . I was actually just on my way to-

I was interuppted by another two punches to the face, my head bouncing off the ground.

"Leave him be!" Cassius screamed at her. "You're gonna kill him!"

"HA! Unfortunately, young Antony here isn't quite so easy to kill, are you?" She asked, addressing me with another pump. "His name may be Ant, but he is more like a dungeon cockroach of sorts."

Without warning or provocation, she punched me again. I turned my head and spit out a mouthful of blood.

"See. . . With him. . And. . Previously with his younger brother. . It saves time to just beat him in advance for any lies he might be thinking about telling me in the future!"

In my punch induced stupor, I only heard one thing.

"You've seen my brother!?" I mumbled, trying to get my bearings.

This got a laugh from both of the two women holding my friends.

"Yeah. . . We saw him! And that prick horse of yours, Marcel! Maybe a couple months ago." Zahra replied, being purposely vague.

"And where is he now?" I demanded, my mind clearing.

"Hard to say! After I beat. . . . Fair compensation out of him, for the money he owed me, I gave him to my sisters to enjoy for a while. Needless to say, they kept him comfortable while we traveled until we came across a nice giant family who was willing to pay top dollar for him. . "


She didn't even need to keep talking. I was instantly enraged. I tried to get out of her grip but she leaned her weight on my legs and I couldn't kick free. Before I could draw my weapon, Zahra pummeled my face with 5 more punches in quick succession. It took all I had to just keep my eyes open.

"Oh don't try to get all righteous on me now, Ant! You had to know that eventually I would have taken enough of your shit! I mean, if you guys had put half as much time into paying me back as you do trying to duck me, you wouldn't even owe me anymore!" She spat as she scooped me off the ground and into her fist.

"How much does Ant owe you? I'll pay it!" Peter shouted, from inside the woman's grip.

"HA! As cute a gesture as that is, we are way. . WAY beyond that!" Zahra said, giving my limp body a shake.

"Is that not why you're here?!" Peter asked, confused.

"Initially. . Yes. I got a tip from a girl in a giant village that you were in the area and I WAS just going to give you the same treatment as little Jakey but. . . Then things changed." She purred, lifting my chin with the tip of her finger.

"What are you on about?!" I asked, dazed but tired of hearing her talk.

"Well. . .a certain little piece of paper just happened to reach my eyes not 3 days before I caught up with you!" She explained reaching in her satchel and grabbing it with her free hand.

She held it up and by the limited light, I could see that it was a bounty poster.

My bounty poster.

"So what. . . You suddenly decided you want to collect the kings fee and make a little extra gold?" I asked, unimpressed.

"Stupid, stupid little Ant. This is a brand new bounty poster! You might notice it has a few more zeroes on it than you were previously worth." She said, tapping me on the head with a finger.

She held both me and the poster closer to the fire so I could clearly see it, and my jaw dropped.

"What does it say Ant?" Peter asked, his voice tired from struggling.

"One. . . One hundred thousand gold!" I stammered.

I heard gasps from both him and Cassius.

"Yes sir! Commissioned by princess Juliette herself." The red head gloated.

"You Ant. . Are officially the second most wanted man in the world right now. Only behind the assassin that killed the king himself!" Zahra declared.

"What. . . What are the charges?!" Peter demanded.

"Let's see. . . 3 counts of murder against giant kind in known giant territory. Trespassing on royal grounds, 29 counts of theft of royal property. . . And. . The kicker. . . 2 counts of attempted assassination of the princesses." Zahra read, before tucking the poster away again.

"Bagging you is going to make for the sweetest payday we've ever had!" The orange skinned woman added.

"Not to mention the added bonus of another slayer on top of the extra bounty for anyone found to be helping Ant! If we play this right, we might be able to get another 15 grand out of this thing! Truth be told, I was hoping to find you with your sister and the other two slayers. Now THAT, would be a nice little gift to give the princess, huh?" She said, and I could see the money signs in her eyes.

"Well. . . I'm sorry to disappoint you." I said, just trying to buy some time for any type of miracle that might be brewing.

"Oh, we both know that you have no trouble disappointing me!" She laughed. "Besides. . . I heard through the grapevine that your little human king intends to hand Abigail and the other two over to Juliette himself!. . . A pathetic sort of peace offering so that maybe. . . Just maybe. . . Her and her sisters won't continue to flatten the human realm."

"What, you don't believe slayers can stop them?" I asked, wheezing as her grip on me was beginning to wear me out.

"No." She replied, flatly. "I honestly don't. And you wanna know why?" She asked, holding me up to her face.

"Why?" I asked, humoring her. "If a slayer can kill the giant king, then enough of us can take down his little girls."

Upon hearing this, all three of the woman began to laugh.

"You don't get it, do you? None of you slayers or humans get it! Those three. . . . They were essentially born for nothing more than killing slayers!" Zahra proclaimed, with a look of pride on her face. "Their mother was the biggest and strongest woman in all the world! That, mixed with the blood of the giant king and. . . " she trailed off, implying something we all understood.

"But. . . . As much as I would love to sit around the campfire and tell scary stories, we really need to be getting back to our own camp now. C'mon ladies." Zahra said, as she stood up and prepared to leave.
Chapter 15 by Stevie
Zahra stood and was about to leave when she stopped, and looked off into the darkness. Everything was dead silent for a moment before. . .


Out of the black ripped a jagged blue slash that cut straight through the tree trunks and right for Zahra's throat. Unfortunately, at the last second she rolled to her left, avoiding the attack and flattening all the trees in her way. She also didn't drop me and only held me to her chest as she drew her dagger.


I guess 100 thousand gold was worth holding on to.


From out in the darkness, came a deep, low chuckle. I recognized it immediately.


Zahra was on her guard now, trained in the direction the attack had come from. That being said, the next attack came from 180 degrees the other way and was aimed at the two other women. They too managed to dodge but the woman holding Peter couldn't hold on to him as she dove out of the way.



He had his sword drawn before he hit the ground and immediately launched an attack for the woman dangling Cassius. It caught her above the right shoulder causing a geyser of blood to rain down and her arm to go limp, dropping Cassius in the process.


Peter caught him and dodged just in time to avoid getting stepped on as the woman screamed in pain and stumbled around holding her shoulder. He put Cassius down and stood poised to cut her down with his next attack. Before the other woman could come to her aid, a very tall, burly man appeared on her shoulder, holding a heavy, beat up sword to her throat. It was Malakai.


For a moment, everything was still as Zahra, Peter and Malakai faced off.


"Look sister. . . . We can either do this the easy way. .or the bloody way. " Malakai said, the campfire dancing on a face that often read insanity. "Just put Ant down, and walk away with these nice girl's heads still on their shoulders!"



"From the look of this one, she doesn't have much time before the blood loss takes her" Peter added.


Zahra unconsciously squeezed me tighter as she weighed her options. The woman Peter cut had since slumped to her knees and looked pale.


"5 seconds." Malakai informed her.


I didn't honestly think that she would give up that amount of money, but at the last second, as Malakai brought his sword back to lop off her head, Zahra's fist opened and I plummeted to the ground, landing roughly but on my feet.


I looked up, and I really thought that Malakai would just kill her anyway but to my surprise, he stayed his word and jumped down from her shoulder. Immediately she rushed to the injured girl as did Zahra.


"This isn't over!" Zahra threatened as she disappeared into the darkness, supporting their sister.

As much as I wanted to stay at camp and greet Malakai, I made a spur of the moment decision to follow Zahra back to her camp. There was still hope that Julius was still alive and on top of that, Zahra had sold Jacob into slavery or worse. . Death. It wasn't something that I could forgive. . . Ever.

I sprinted into the darkness after them, and caught up just in time to leap up and snag the wounded girls skirt. In the dark, Zahra helped her mount her horse and they all rode into the night. About 20 minutes later they arrived, although it was miles and miles away from where they had mounted. The joys and inconveniences of giant travel.

I lept down to the ground just as they reached the wagon train. The way Zahra's camp worked was that the 20 fully enclosed wagons that she traveled with, were circled up when they found a suitable place to camp. From there, they went town to town loaning out money, cashing in on bounties, selling slaves, among other things.

And among other things was exactly what was going on tonight. I watched as giant, scantily clad women walked around the well lit camp. Some sharpened weapons, others washed clothes, and still others. . . . Entertained. . . human males.

Using their bodies and sexuality to make money was one of the specialties of Zahra's gang. The thing is. . . . They were as deadly as they were beautiful. On the surface, they just appeared to be a bunch of gorgeous, half naked women who traveled together, but every single one of them was personally trained by Zahra herself as a warrior and assassin. Both skills that came in handy when bounty hunting, assassination and dealing with drunken men of the giant variety.

The human men that the women attracted were infinitely easier to deal with. If they had money, they were treated like royalty, and no fantasy was outside the realm of possibility with these giant goddesses. But if they were broke, or disrespectful. . . . If they were lucky they would be allowed to leave in any condition still alive. More often than not, they were simply crushed and disposed of like garbage.

Who knew what the fate of these current men would be as some were carried into various wagons by their giant mistresses while others just followed behind on foot in a mesmerized stupor. Using the guise of one of the men from whatever village these men were from, I slipped into the camp unnoticed.

Zahra and the other two women had sat down at a table that was set up outside what I knew to be Zahra's personal wagon. It was much bigger than the rest and lavishly decorated on the outside. The inside was no exception, filled with the most valuable items from their travels all over the world, from the human capital at the very edge of the map, as far away from giants as you could possibly get. . . To the oldest, most baron lands that the giant realm had to offer.

Women buzzed around them as Zahra feverishly worked to stop the bleeding, soaking rag after rag and bandage after bandage. She cursed us out as she worked.

"Just wait sister! Wait until we get our hands on the slayer that did this to you. You can personally rip him limb from limb! The same goes for the one that ambushed us! After our sister's ravage him for months on end. . . . Then maybe. . . MAYBE. . . He will have my blessing to die!" She seethed, pounding her fist on the table.

"I. . . I can't move my arm!" The woman wailed, as two others worked to keep her calm.

I chose to keep moving at that point. I already knew what was coming. It always came. The thing to know about Zahra and her gang was. . . It was unwise to mess with them. Period.

Zahra was a wanted criminal in both realms but somehow she was allowed to roam free across the map like a saint. That is because nobody had mustered the strength nor the wit to take her down. She could match any slayer with a sword, crush any human with sheer size, and evade or fight any giant and win. It wasn't that nobody wanted her dead. . . It was that there wasn't anything anyone had been able to do about it.

But I digress. . . What would happen next is that the next morning, likely the whole camp, all 20 plus women would mobilize and come to wipe us out. Our only saving grace was that I knew that, Peter knew that, and Malakai knew that. I was 100% sure they wouldn't be there when either I nor Zahra and her gang got back.

Clearing those thoughts from my mind, I waited for the right moment, then broke off from the pack of humans and crept under the nearest wagon. I used my size to easily sneak in through a gap in the floor board.

Inside was what appeared to be a living quarters. There were candles on the walls and in the dim light I could see a bare leg hanging out the side of a bunk attached to the wall. I could hear her breathing softly and prayed she was as actually asleep. To my left was a dresser and it seemed as good a spot as any to keep what I was looking for.

I climbed to the top and took in my surroundings. The giantess was indeed sleeping, her arm over her forehead and her large, perky breasts on display. I had to remind myself what my goal was as I pryed my eyes away. There was another bunk in line with the first but this one was empty at the moment. Something to note.

On the dresser, as expected, I found what I was looking for. A row of ten little individual cages. I walked along the row, and luckily the candle on the wall provided enough light to get a look at who was inside.

Both human men and women in various states of despair and condition. Some cried and moaned for my help but I kept walking Another thing to mention about Zahra and her gang was that they didn't just go around enslaving every human they came in contact with. That wasn't exactly good for business so it was usually the unfortunate souls they came across in the wilderness that got volunteered to service the gang.

Here now was the results of that, and though I had the power to free them, if they couldn't successfully escape the camp, the outcome would likely be death for them. I passed cage after cage, most with 2 or 3 humans sleeping or just plain unconscious until I reached the very last one.

And there he was.

"Julius! I whispered. "Julius. . . "

He didn't move or make a sound. He just stayed in a heap on the floor of his cage. Checking to make sure the giantess was still asleep, I climbed the bars of the cage and lifted the lid. None of them were locked because humans were. . . . Inefficient enough. . To not escape on their own.

I dropped down and walked to him. The first thing I noticed was the smell. He was absolutely covered in the stench of female fluids. Not surprising. Upon closer inspection, his whole body was encrusted and he appeared malnourished and beat up.

While it was true, giant women, like both slayer women and human women, could be as delicate as the gods themselves. . . . They also had a flair for the brutal and dominating when they wanted to and that is the treatment Julius seemed to have gotten for nothing more than associating with me. I owed it to him to get him out of here.

"Julius!" I whispered again, nudging his shoulder.

Still he said nothing.

I checked his pulse and he was still alive, but I couldn't be sure why he was unresponsive. I would figure it out later, and just grabbed him, throwing his light body over my shoulder before climbing out of the cage. Just as I made it out and back down to the table, the door to the wagon swung open and the woman from before, the one who Peter didn't cut, walked in.

In the dim lighting, I could see the expression on her face was. . . Emotional. Somewhere between hurt and furious. She stomped in and slammed the door behind her. In the split second her back was turned, I made a move,dropping to the floor and hiding behind some junk under the table.

Just as I did, she stepped up to it, and seemed to be looking for something on the table top. Her giant, dirty, bare feet flexed only yards from me as she searched for whatever. A moment later her foot stomped.

"Hilde!. . "She said, apparently addressing the sleeping woman. "Hilde!. . " she repeated, louder as she shook the woman's shoulder.

"Hilde" mumbled something unintelligible as she rolled over and away from her roommate.

"Hilde! Wake up! Where is that little man that Zahra gave us to hold on to?" She asked, her voice impatient.

"Mmmm!" Came an irritated groan in response from under the covers.

As sure as I was that there were multiple "little men that Zahra gave them to hold on to" I was just as sure that the specific one she was looking for just so happened to be draped over my shoulder at the moment and that meant that hanging around wasn't in my best interest.

With haste, I dropped back through the hole I climbed in from, before the woman could get a clear answer out of sleeping beauty. We made it safely into the trees, where it was easy to hide since every woman around us was as tall if not taller than them and the leaves blocked their view of the ground.

Not that anyone was yet looking for us, but the usual 4 woman perimeter patrol that Zahra kept was a constant threat. I really didn't know if it was smarter to get as far away from there as possible or hide right under their noses until they left in the morning to destroy myself and my companions.

I decided to wait it out. Zahra was still patching up the girl, and her mood seemed no less foul. I could hear her cursing us out still as she worked. The woman had since stopped screaming and seemed to be stable at best. She was still very pale and shaky but it appeared that she could at least function, although her arm still seemed dead. Whether or not they knew it, it would probably never work again. That is what you got when you tangled with the surgeon.


As I observed the camp from the darkness, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched. I knew it wasn't a giant, but I rested my hand on my sword just for safety.

Sometime later, Zahra finished bandaging the woman and stood. She surveyed the barrier of wagons and for a few seconds she seemed to be staring right at me, but ultimately she turned and retired to her wagon. As I watched her disappear, thoughts of revenge for my brother began to fill my he-


Out of nowhere, to my left, some type of animal charged me through the dark. Fortunately I was more than quick enough to see the attack from a mile away and I grabbed the beast by its lowered head, and stopped it dead in its tracks, though it pushed me back a step.

Everything seemed dead silent in that moment before. . .

"Marcel! You brown bastard!" I cried with joy as I wrapped my arms around the horses neck. He let out his trademark whiny in response. This. . . This was honestly the happiest moment in recent memory for me. We stood, just embracing for a time, before I released him.

There was so much I needed to ask and say to him, but there was no real time for it now. My guess is he decided to just follow the camp after they sold jake off knowing it would be his best chance of finding me again. . . . Clever, clever animal.

"Ok Marcel, listen up!" I said, picking Julius off the ground and slinging him over Marcel's broad back. "We made camp southeast of here. I need you to ride hard and meet up with Peter and Malakai, ok? Get Julius to safety. I'll be back around soon." I instructed him.

He gave me a look and neigh that said he really didn't want to separate but I had business to attend to.

"Go on, boy!" I said loudly, and without further protest, he took off galloping to the south.

With that, I turned my attention back to the matter at hand. Since Zahra had returned, activity at the camp had settled down. The women used a sort of buddy system. They always knew where the leaving members were going and a rough estimate of how long the business would take. If it exceeded that time frame, they immediately sent help without question. With her and the other two back "safely", the nonessential girls had went to bed now and only the 4 on guard remained.

I easily snuck past them and under Zahra's personal wagon planning on entering the same way as last time, only this time, there was no easy access hole or any gaps in the wood. It seemed to be meticulously crafted with extra care taken to not allow people like me in. Zahra was a lot of things, but a fool wasn't one of them. I guess that is what actually having money buys you. . . Who knew?

I worked my way up and around it, but the whole thing was solid. As I stood on the roof in front of my last resort for a quiet entry, I began to have second thoughts on whether or not this needed to happen "right now".


The fact of the matter was. . . She more or less killed my brother and I couldn't let that go. Without further hesitation, I jumped down the opening to the internal fireplace, which just so happened to be lit at the moment. I plunged through the smoke and at the last second, kicked off the wall of the fireplace and out the opening, narrowly avoiding the flames. All while managing to stay silent, I landed on the floor with a roll and surveyed the room.

It was as cluttered with jewels and precious artifacts as I imagined it would be. Both walls, up to the ceiling. She also had a desk along one side, with piles of scrolls on it. I knew they were bounty posters and ledgers. I had had my face forcefully plastered to my own ledger a few times in my day as a reminder of my debt


The room was dim, but across the wagon I could hear Zahra. Her voice was coming from her bed. I stayed on the floor so she wouldn't see me approach, then climbed a dresser opposite her desk and there she was.

In the time it had taken for me to gain access to her wagon, she had stripped off her clothes and was lying on her bed completely naked. Her ebony skin glowing in the candle light. It was immediately clear what the noise was. There was an empty cage next to her and in her hand was a human woman.

Zahra's cries and moans of pleasure rose and fell as the woman was pushed and pulled into her hungry snatch. The more she screamed and fought, the more Zahra enjoyed herself and it wasn't long before she shook the wagon with her climax. Breathing heavily, she cast the woman aside like garbage before laying back and dousing the main lamp closest to Her, taking half the light with her.

I waited. Waited in the dark. And as I waited, my soul began to burn. Just seeing Zahra. . .so calm. . . So unphased after ripping apart my family. . . My desire to see her dead was becoming unbearable.

But it didn't feel like only. . . . MY desire.

It was as if I was only along for the ride. A passenger on the path to the same destination, but not ultimately the driving force.

I had only felt this way one other time in my life.

Moments later, I was overcome by the feeling and the next thing I knew, my blade was drawn and I was looking down her edge at my brother's executioner.

She lay motionless.

Defenseless.

Unsuspecting.

Asleep.

Everything about this was against the warriors code, but I knew I could not fight it. She had gone too far. Taken the one person in this world I would do anything for. The one constant positive in my dishonest, drunken, degenerate existence.

It was time.

The goddess was willing it so.


Without warning or prayer, my sword glowed green as I was made to lift it. It hung there for a moment, perhaps accentuating my lack of control over my own body before I dropped the blade.

With a splatter of blood across the back wall. . . And just like that. . .

Zahra was gone.

And just as quickly, the possessing force was gone as well and I was left alone with what I'd done. Zahra's lifeless body. . . A massive gash down her entire left side. Her bed, the wall. . . . Both soaked in blood.

All of it. . . All of this. . . It felt so much more empty than I thought it would. . . But then. . .

Like water receding before a tidal wave, the power of the death goddess came rushing back and over my soul stronger than I had ever felt it. But this time. . . It felt different. . Not the usual sensation of the energy being a. . . Loan of sorts, this time it felt like a gift. Like my whole body was now permanently stronger, but I couldn't linger in the experience. I needed to go.

I sheathed my sword and was just about to jump down from the dresser, when a faint but very familiar voice called my name.

"Ant?. . Is. . .is that you?"

For the first time since I had climbed up, I noticed a row of cages along the top of her dresser. My focus had been too intense to see them there. . . . Cautiously, I stalked toward them in disbelief. There in the last cage to the right, was a figure standing behind the bars.


"Jacob?"
Chapter 16 by Stevie
Author's Notes:

What would an anime style story be without a "getting the crew back together" arc?

"Jacob?" I asked, not believing my eyes.


He just stood there looking at me from behind the bars, saying nothing.


"Brother! I've come to rescue you!" I said enthusiastically as I stepped up to the cage.


To my surprise, instead of embracing me, he took a step back. His face looked. . . Shocked. . Disgusted by the sight of me almost.


"What's wrong with you, Jacob?" I asked, gripping the bars.


"What's wrong with you!?" He shouted back, jolting me. "You just killed someone in cold blood!"


"That was for you! She told me she beat and tortured you, before selling you off to some giant family! I came to avenge you!" I shouted back. "I hadn't seen or heard from you in months, and this is how you greet me?!"


He stood silent, working over what I had told him.

"Regardless of the reason. . . We aren't executioners, brother!" He said, like he was trying to plead and reason with me. "I saw the death goddess' hand move you. . . I fear you may be in too deep!"

"Now is not the time to discuss this!" I spat back. "Either you can stay in this cage, or you can help me. . . Help us. . Deal with what's going on in the outside world! But when her girls find her body. . . Every human sized entity within one hundred miles of this place will feel their wrath. . . You know that to be true!"

Jacob didn't argue, and after a half hour of struggling, we had his sword, clean clothes and were on our way. He was in rough shape to say the least, so travel was slow. It seemed these women took their toll on him tenfold to what they had done to Julius. We pushed through the night, but eventually Jacob's strength gave out, forcing me to carry him.

I kept my pace up, knowing that come daybreak, the sisters of Zahra would chew up the distance between us like nothing if they caught our trail. My main priority was meeting back up with my companions and by the time the sun had risen, I was only halfway back to the modest camp.

I kept moving but eventually I heard the inevitable. The thunder of hooves. Giant hooves. There was no time to waste and no possibility of fighting our way out even if Jacob and I were both at 100 percent. Instead, I ducked inside a hollowed out tree trunk. A moment later, a stampede of epic proportions crashed overhead.

Trees were obliterated as what felt like one hundred giant horses pounded by. In reality, it was probably only 15 but when something as big as that, moves that fast, it puts everything into perspective.

Just as fast as they came, they were gone and we were left in the pounded, muddy path they left behind. I heaved Jacob back over my shoulder, checking to make sure the coast was clear before I struck out again.


Hours later, we arrived at what used to be our humble camp. The ground was absolutely mashed with hoof prints along with both giant bare footprints and bootprints. Other than that, there were no traces of any of my traveling companions. They had successfully packed up and got out, but luckily I knew where they were heading.

The horse track continued due east, toward the next town. God help them. But there was a tiny X, too small for a giant to notice if they weren't looking, on the west side of the biggest tree around camp. It was a code that only we knew. Another 4 hours passed as I trudged on, but eventually I came to a series of caves in the side of a hill.

There were no signs of life, but I knew better.

"KAKAAWW!" I called out, doing my best impression of a common raven.

"KAAAWW!" Came an obnoxious reply from inside the cave.

A second later, Malakai emerged, all 9 feet of him. massive grin on his face. He towered over us, his hand resting on the handle of his sword.

"Long time no see Ant! And what a fine way to meet it was!" He said, happily. "And is that beat down rag of a man Jacob I spy there?" He asked, squinting. "Weren't we told he was some giant girl's doll by now?

"Yes. He. . . He's fallen on black days as of late." I said as I walked past him and into the large cave.

"Why was he not with you, anyway? " he asked as he followed me in. "When he got captured."

Inside, Cassius and Peter were sitting by a fire that seemed to be venting out the side of the cave and through some type of moss filtering system to keep the smoke from being seen.

"Since when do you ask so many questions?" I asked, setting Jacob down on a straw mat next to Julius, who appeared to be sleeping, heavily. I covered him in blankets and sat down by the fire.

Further on in the cave, Marcel had joined the other horses. It was truly apparent just how dirty he was now.


"Since you two disappeared on us! Left us with no warning. No purpose." Malakai replied, his voice a bit bitter as he too sat down.


"I'm sorry Malakai. . . . It was. . . feelings and emotions we couldn't control." I said, looking into the fire.


"Well. . . We survived. Not that this cave is much of a living, but it's home. " Malakai said, before he began rolling himself a cigarette.


"So what now then, Ant? Your bounty is too high for you to show your face in even the most ratty establishment. Every eye in the kingdom will be looking for you. . . And by extension. . . Us. " Peter said, looking to me.

"Well. . . " I said, scratching my chin. "I'd say we have no choice but to bring "them" back.

"You really think so? Does anyone even remember them anymore?" Peter asked, an unsure look on his face.

"Remember who?" Cassius asked, confused.

"The Anzaari." Myself, Peter and Malakai all said in unison.

Cassius burst out laughing.

"That old wives tales?" He asked, wiping a tear from his eye.

The three of us just stared blankly at him.

"You. . . You're serious?" He asked, eyes wide.

"Deathly." I said, looking him in the eye.

"So what. . You. . . You guys expect me to believe that you are the ones behind some ancient spirits that bring misfortune and pain wherever you go? With. . With mystical powers and. . . "

"That's exactly what we're saying." Malakai said.

"Well. . . If we're picking that up again, we're going to need masks and cloaks." Peter said, looking between us.

"I'm in good standing with the nearest village. I will get the cloaks. You stay here and carve the masks." Malakai said, standing.

"There might not be anything left of the nearest village. . . " I said, quietly.

"What do you mean?" He asked, puzzled.

"I mean. . . The sisters of Zahra were already going to come back to that camp and destroy us for harming one of their own. But now. . . Now I killed their leader. They will likely tear every village apart until they find us."

"Well. . .the village is south west of here. If they had come that way, we would have heard them. Besides. . . We have 4-er. . 3 and a half of the 6 of us back together. Once Jacob rests up, we will once again be a force to be reckoned with!" Malakai declared.


Well until we make the masks, Ant had better lay low. These caves are well hidden. The 3 of us can gather supplies as we need them and you can tend to your brother and this other young man" Peter said, as he stood and walked out of the cave.



The next few days were uneventful. Cassius, Malakai and Peter came and went with no regularity. Not being constantly beaten or used, meamt Jacob made a speedy recovery. He wasn't speaking to me, but he wasn't uncivil either. We just sort of existed together in the caves.


Within the week, we had carved the masks out of wood, sanded them to be perfectly smooth, and painted them.


The Anzaari mask was a round, snow white face with two horizontal slits for eyes. It wore a blank expression in the mouth that ran well into the territory of creepy, but that was the point. Besides. . . It wasn't what the mask looked like, it was how the people wearing it acted that gave it its power.



"The Anzaari are like ghosts. They show no emotion or attachment under any circumstance but don't hesitate to deal out death should the need arise. They say nothing, but communicate with their body. . . . Their presence." Peter explained to Julius, who had since became conscious and functioning again.


Because of his limited existence under Emelia's rule, he had never heard of the Anzaari. His mind was reeling from the lore and stories Peter told him. Being a man of organization and structure, he took to Peter immediately, wanting to learn everything he could.



With the masks ready, we set off east for Haliday. It was the last major city inland before the authority of the crown began to show it's ugly head at every turn. It had been years since I had been there, but I can say that I didn't have fond memories of it.


It was one of the rare cities of the day where slayers weren't particularly welcome. A city where a human could be persecuted just for being too tall, whether or not they were actually a slayer. I didn't know if things had changed. Malakai said it hadn't, but at 9 feet tall, most people thought better of angering him with their backwards politics.





"So. . . Who are we looking for in Haliday?" Julius asked as we rode.


In the spirit of speed and mobility, we had opted to travel light. That meant no wagons. Malakai had acquired another horse for Julius and Jacob took mine. I was back with Marcel now, and it felt good. The six of us rode in our black cloaks, ready to pull down our masks should anyone appear.


"Henrietta." I replied, flatly.


"And how will I know if I see her?" He asked, concern in his voice.


"You'll know her when you see her." Peter said, chiming in.


"You couldn't miss her with your eyes closed and your back turned!" Malakai laughed his deep laugh.


"Why are you guys being so secretive about it? I'm just trying to help!" Julius more or less whined.


"Blonde hair. 7 feet 2 inches tall. Responds to Henny." Peter said, precise as he always was.


"Permanent scowl on her face." I said.


"The attitude to match." Jacob added.


Although he wasn't talking to me, it still felt like a small step in the right direction.


"Skinny as a twig!" Malakai began. "Except for those massive tits!" He laughed.


The 4 of us shared a moment of silence as we all remembered those glorious tits.


"You guys remember that time she kicked that guy through a wall for accidentally brushing against her ass in the tavern?" Malakai asked with a grin.


"I remember getting ran out of that particular village. . . " Peter replied, without a smile as he recalled the whole situation was unfavorable to say the least.


"Yeah, we were either hated or loved in those days huh?" Malakai replied, with a chuckle.


"The way I see it, the border between here and the giant realm hasn't been pushed in a few thousand years so they can't complain about you guys too much, can they?" Cassius asked, giving his two cents.



Malakai and Julius nodded their agreement. Myself, Peter and Jacob had nothing to say on the matter. Jacob never did have much to say. Even less now that he wasn't speaking to me. Between us, Peter and I had faced all three of the daughters and barely left a scratch, so I guess you could say we felt a little differently about the odds of the border holding up.



"Masks on!" I said, as we came up on a few travelers on the path.


The sight of 6 figures in black cloaks with white masks was a bad omen for those who knew the legend. It was a nightmare for those who didn't and it showed as the two men slid their horses to a stop as soon as they saw us, looks of fear on their faces.



One man turned his horse and bolted the opposite direction with a scream. The commotion caused the other man's horse to rear up, sending the man to the ground on his back. We never broke pace and the man closed his eyes as we came straight for him, but nothing happened. When he opened them, we were a quarter mile down the path like he didn't exist.



We kept our masks on until we reached the outskirts of town where we stashed the horses. Cassius, being the slowest and oldest body wise, opted to stay with them. The rest of us pulled our masks down and moved into the village.


As the Anzaari, we kept a strategic formation. When searching for someone, we kept a street apart, so that we could cover each other, but also more ground. As I walked with Malakai on my left, and Jacob to my left, it brought back old memories of the Anzaari. People looking at you like you're out of your mind. Others fleeing. Still others trying to fight you. . . . It never ended well for them.


Like most cities further inland, Haliday had grown since I had last been there but that was the reality of a longer lifespan. It was now as big if not bigger than I remembered the capital being. People everywhere, rushing about their lives. It seemed as though the looming threat hadn't reached here yet, although it was on their doorstep whether they liked it or not.


Maybe they thought the slayers who had never ultimately failed to keep the peace would prevail as they always did, no matter the enemy. . . . If only they knew what was knocking at their door.


But they were about to.


I walked among the people for an hour, my eyes scanning but I didn't see Henrietta. This was only her last rumored location but none of us were really in touch with each other. It was much easier to search though, as people tend to move out of the way of a 6 foot 5 figure in a black cloak with a white mask.


Not having any luck, eventually I took a seat on a bench in the city square, keeping my head straight, and letting the mask intimidate with its blank expression. I had only been there for about 20 minutes when panic broke out.


Tremors.


Footsteps.


People screaming and fleeing for their lives.


"Everyone, please gather in the court yard!" A voice rang out. . . A voice I recognized.


A few seconds later, an orange skinned giantess walked into the square, herding a large crowd of humans. They all stood, cowering in fear. I recognized her right away, it was Juliette's servant girl. . . Only. . .now she was dressed in the same type of dress as Juliette but with her ankle boots. She also had a sword on her back. It obviously resembled Juliette's in overall shape, but the size was nowhere near the same. This woman's blade was of manageable proportions for a giant of average strength.


"My name is Anastasia. I'm here on behalf of the crown. The TRUE crown!" She emphasized, letting it be known her distaste for human kind and the hierarchy of them.


"I'm here in search of a wanted fugitive, but I come in peace. No one will be harmed as long as you do as I say!" She declared with authority and I already knew this probably wasn't going to end well.


"This is the man! Antony Lockwood!" She said, speaking loud and clear as she held up the giant version of my wanted poster for the crowd to see.


There were murmers in the crowd but nobody stepped out to say anything.


"He is a violent criminal who directly attacked both princess Juliette and princess Leonara in an attempt at murder!" She informed them. "And I have reason to believe he may be here in this city!"



I put my head down as I sat on the bench. I could only pray that neither I nor my associates got noticed, but leaving in a crowd of people frozen in fear was not an option. Then it only got worse.


"Now. . . I'm going to conduct a search. I want all the women to my left, and the men to my right." She commanded.


Immediately the crowd began to shift and a few seconds later the sexes were divided into two sections.


"Ok, now every man under 6 feet tall, move to the back of the yard." She said as she began to study faces.


"Hmm. . ." She said to herself as she crouched and began to scan the crowd.


As she looked, she gently shoved men out who didn't match the description at all except for height until she was left with roughly 40 that kind of matched. From there, she began to pick them up and look at them more closely, comparing them to my poster before setting them off the side.


For a split second I had hope that she was going to be too stupid to notice me and I could slip away but unfortunately, the second I was ready to leave, her eyes fell upon me. Her face scrunched in mild confusion, then irritation before she stood up.


"You! In the mask. . . . I do believe I gave you direct order from the crown!" She spat, her tone grating on me. "Stand up and remove that ridiculous mask. . . NOW!" She boomed, her voice echoeing off the buildings that lined the square.


I remained perfectly still, just staring at the ground like I hadn't heard a word she said. This must have irritated her further because I felt tremors and two steps later, I was cast into shadow as she loomed over me.


"This is your last chance. Take off the mask, or I'll take it off for you!" She threatened, clenching her fists at her sides and stomping her foot.


As much as I understood unpleasant female superior body language,I knew I was in trouble now. I lifted my head up, up up to look at her.

[3rd person]


The look on her face was one of almost pure rage as the pale white face of this figure in the black cloak stared blankly up at her. In the ultimate show of disrepect, the man. . Woman?. . .the figure. . .had the audacity to cock it's head to the side like some confused animal.

That was all Anastasia needed to see and she immediately reached down to snatch the figure from the bench and likely rip it's head clean off removing the mask. She was just about to close her fist around it, when she was hit in the side of the head with something hard.

She retracted her hand, lifting her head in the direction the attack had come, and there, standing on a rooftop. . . . Was a figure in a black cloak with a white mask. A jolt of shock went through her, and she did a double take to the person standing there, black cloak covering them entirely from hood to toe. Her head snapped down to the bench. The empty bench where the figure had just been sitting not two seconds ago.

Another bolt hit her as she looked back to the rooftop. The empty rooftop where the figure had just been standing not two seconds ago.

Her face turned a shade of bright red as she had been made a fool of by this man. How could he even have moved so fast? All she knew was she wasn't going to stand for it!

"Did you not hear me before?!" She snapped angrily at the crowd. "I said no one would get hurt just as long as everyone did as I said! Now, you scum think you can play children's games with me?!" She bellowed, getting worked up.

The crowd was dead silent.

"I am the main assistant of Juliette herself! That gives me the authority to crush this entire city if I see fit! So either the man in the mask comes forward, or I decimate all of you!" Anastasia declared, scanning the crowd for any sign of him.

"You have until the count of 5 you little maggot! One. . . . Two. . . . Three. . . . Fo-

Just then, Anastasia spotted a figure in a black cloak with a white mask, leaning casually in the rear gateway to the courtyard. When it knew she had made eye contact, the figure ducked out and into the street to his right.

Anastasia pursued, clearing the court in two steps, using the gap between the men and the women, careful not to step on anyone. She easily stepped over the court wall and out into the street. She turned to her left and searched, but the street was completely empty, every villager either gathered in the square or hiding in their homes.

She took a few careful steps forward, trying to be quiet. As quiet as someone 100 feet tall and weighing an unimaginable amount could be anyway. She drew the sword from her back, ready to strike at any hint of the figure. She stood for a moment, just waiting, when she caught a glint out of the corner of her eye.

Instinctively she through her head back just as a human sized sword hurdled past her face, passing so close that it cut some hair off of her bangs. Against logic, although the sword had missed her, she felt corresponding pain in both her legs. She looked down and both of her calves had 3 scratch like cuts on them and were dripping blood.

She looked in the direction the sword had come from, but there was nothing but an empty street. It wasn't until she turned around that she saw it.

A figure in a black cloak with a white mask, standing in the middle of the baron street, only this one was different. While the other one. . . . Or however many others there were, were all seemingly identical in the amount of time she had seen them, this one was considerably taller and broader.

Not that it mattered. She raised her sword without waiting and brought it down in a vertical slash, intending to either cut the figure or more likely, just smash it into oblivion. The tip of her sword blasted into the cobblestone, breaking chunks up and sending up dust, but she did a double take when the dust cleared and she realized that she had completely missed it. . . . Or. . . It had evaded her. . . She was unsure at this point.

Unsure of what exactly she was fighting and unsure of herself. Though she had trained extensively with Juliette, her nerves were getting the better of her and the blank stare of the figure only added to it. As if feeding on her insecurities, it cocked its head to the side, again mocking her as it stood just millimeters from where her blade had landed.

Anastasia let out an angry growl but before she could strike again, a hand emerged from the cloak and delicately grabbed her sword by its edge. She tried to pull it back but found that she couldn't budge it. She tried again with the same result. This figure was as strong as she was in just one hand!

As if to prove the point, the figure pulled with still just one hand, and even as she dug her heels in, Anastasia was pulled across the ground. She leaned her weight against it, straining to overpower it, but it did no use. She grunted with effort and she thought for a split second it payed off, but the figure released its grip. The effect was almost comical as she stumbled backward and fell hard, crushing half the buildings on the block in the process.


She stayed down breathing heavily and accessing the situation the way Leonara had taught her. She knew now that there was definitely at least 2 people messing with her. The bigger one was physically stronger than she was, but she had a range advantage. . Unless. . . . This was a slayer she was dealing with. It would definitely explain the strength and the speed with which it could appear and disappear. But it didn't explain why it didn't just attack her outright, but instead just toyed with her.


Anastasia stood, dusting herself off as she looked around for any sign of the figure. By now the town's people had begun to flood into the street to see the damage and know that the giantess was dead. No such luck. But she was angry.

Very, very angry.



Before she had left the capital, Juliette had told her that it didn't matter what she destroyed, as the destruction might draw Antony out of hiding but her sister had said something else entirely. Her plan was to only threaten violence, on the hope that it would persuade the villagers to give the slayers up and ultimately set up an ambush where they could be taken without a fight.


All this weighed on her mind as she searched. She walked slowly, her sword in front of her at the ready. She cleared street after street, but didn't see any trace. It seemed as though it had disappeared out of thin air. The city was large and most of the buildings were tall relative to the humans. They only came up to Anastasia's knee but it made it difficult to see anyone who wasn't directly in front of her.


She glanced down an alley, and double took, when she saw a lone figure in a black cloak with a white mask. Again this one differed from the other two she had seen. While the height was noticeably less than the last one, it was still taller than the first. It was also much less broad than the figure that grabbed her sword.


On top of that, the cloak was ill fitting, like it wasn't meant for this person. It didn't cover the figures feet, stopping about mid calf, exposing feminine ankle boots very similar to the ones Anastasia herself was wearing. The last peculiarity was the spikey blonde hair that was jutting out beneath the hood and around the mask. All of this seemed strange and far less uniform than the others.


It led her to believe that these weren't some supernatural beings, but just a band of. . .something. . . Messing with her specifically. . .


No matter.


She would simply destroy as many as it takes. Hopefully there would be a mask or two left intact for her to bring back to Juliette for when she told the story of this! Anastasia mused as she launched her attack, a straight thrust aiming to skewer this "woman" into the ground.

Unfortunately, the woman's counter happened so fast there was nothing Anastasia could do. As she threw her thrust, just as she was going to hit her mark, in the blink of an eye there was a glint of metal.

In a swift movement, the woman blocked her blow dead, and struck Anastasia's sword precisely, causing it it vibrate harshly and sting her hands. The pain was so abrupt and so sharp that she reflexively let go of it as she cried out in surprise. It was as if the woman was expecting that very thing to happen because she immediately snatched the sword from her hands.

Anastasia watched in awe as her sword was taken, and the little woman hoisted and flipped the giant blade so that the point was facing back at its owner. Before she could make a move. . . . It was too late.

The woman threw the sword back at her like a spear, piercing her chest and the tip penetrated out through her back.

The fight was over.


Tears streamed down Anastasia's face as she slumped to her knees. They weren't tears of fear though. . . They were tears of regret. Of disappointment. She had trained so hard to be of use to Juliette. To Leo and Florence, but here she was. . . Dying in the street of some filthy human village.

Unacceptable.

The last thing she saw was an empty alleyway where the figure had been just a moment ago. . . .
Chapter 17 by Stevie
Author's Notes:

Another character twist?  

After playing mind games with Anastasia and Henrietta ultimately killing her, I wasn't sure what to feel. We had technically found who we were looking for, but the death of Anastasia was unexpected. As if Juliette didn't already want to kill me bad enough.


Oh well.


There was no time to think about that now, as I chased Henny through the streets. She lept up and down from rooftops and down alleyways. It was apparent she didn't want to talk to me either but eventually she stopped in a secluded alley, surrounded by walls on all 4 sides.


I looked on the ground behind her and Julius was laying there, bound and unconscious.


"So. . . These are the types of amateurs you're runnin' with now, huh?" Henny said with her raspy voice, motioning with her head towards Julius as she took off the mask. "I caught the little twerp tailing me!" She spat, giving his unconscious body a kick.


"Well. . . We were here to find you, if that makes you feel any better. . " I replied, removing my own mask.


"You know Ant. . . . it really doesn't." She said, her tone bitter. "You le- she began before looking to the roof behind me.


"Malakai. . " She said, unenthusiasticly.

Malakai dropped down beside me, his arms crossed.

"Peter. . "

Peter came walking around the corner from the street.

"Oooh! And even little Jakey!" She commented, feigning happy to see him.

Henny looked around, as if expecting at least one more person.

"What, no Davis?!" She asked, disappointed.

"Not yet. You first." I said, dead serious.

"Ha!" She replied, taking off the cloak and dropping it on Julius. "You can take this whole little reunion and shove it up your ass if you think I'm comin' back!" She spat, glaring at me.

"The end of the world is coming! This was just a taste!" Peter said, passionately.

"That's funny. . . I didn't really think that was much of a challenge, myself! I'm not even entirely sure why you fools were even messin' with that poor girl! You would still be over there playin' hide and seek if I hadn't put her out of her misery!" Henny said, folding her arms and looking away from us.

"Yeah, except now you got us into a whole nother problem!" I said, pointing a finger at her.

"What, because she said she was Jessica's little fuckin' assistant or whatever?" She asked, shrugging her shoulders.

"Her name is Juliette, and she is guaranteed stronger than anyone you have ever met!" I warned her.

"Do you. . . Do you hear yourself talk?! Are you even the same Ant that abandoned us 2 years ago?!" Henny asked me, anger simmering as she squinted at me. "Because the Ant I knew didn't give a shit about how strong anyone was, giant, slayer, or human!"

"We didn't abandon you." Jacob said, speaking up for the first time but no real passion in his voice.

"You got somethin' to say to me, you little runt!?" Henny asked, stepping up to Jacob, pressing her tits into his chest and looking down into his eyes from her 8 inch height advantage.

"Yeah. . . We left for us! Nobody else. It's not something we need to defend." He replied, not backing down.

"There is nothing to defend! You left us completely in the dark! We looked for you two for a fuckin' year! Not knowin' if you were dead, or taken!" She shouted in his face.


"We couldn't force you to feel how we felt!" I butted in.

"You didn't even try." Malakai replied, to my surprise.

His usual grin was gone and I suddenly felt the weight of our decisions hanging on us. All three of our family members stared at us and I knew we were in the wrong. If there was any hope of the family getting fully back together, I needed to apologize.

"You guys. . . . What do you want me to say? " I said, raising my arms.

"How about you start with the truth!" Henrietta spat, stepping to me and poking me in the chest.

I took a deep breath.

"Fine! You want the truth? The truth is. . . We didn't feel like killing anymore! After Fryaer. . . We. . . . I. . Couldn't wash my hands hard enough to get the blood off of them!" I said, looking Henrietta right in the eyes.

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, she was unmoved. .

"You think you're the only ones?!" She shouted, spit flying as she was inches from my face. "We all lived and fought together for a human lifetime, and you assumed hearing THAT was more than we could handle?!"


"It wasn't that. . ." I said calmly.

"Well what was it then!?" Malakai demanded now.

"We couldn't ask you to stop doing something you love!" Jacob replied passionately.

"Is taking pride in saving lives something to be ashamed of? Is that not what we are doing right now?" Peter asked, looking between myself and my brother.

I knew what I had to do.

I knlet, bowing on one knee, and my brother did the same.

"I have no excuses and I see now that I was wrong. We tried to be passive and found that it does not work. . . . I'm sorry." I said, without hesitation.

Not surprisingly, Peter and Malakai's expression softened and they nodded their acceptance. I watched Henny carefully and I knew what was coming next. She let out a chuckle and her hands clenched into fists. It seemed my brother felt it too and he cracked his neck and closed his eyes.

Even though I knew it was coming, I saw it coming, and I was ready for it, it still hurt quite a bit as Henrietta proceeded to punch both my brother and I in the face, sending us crashing through the wall behind us. Jacob was the first to stand from the rubble, rubbing his jaw. I followed quickly after and we both emerged from the hole our bodies left.

I looked around, but Henrietta was nowhere to be seen. Peter had begun to untie Julius and Malakai was just leaning up against the wall casually smoking a cigarette.

"So, that went about as well as expected, huh?" He commented, laughing his low laugh.

"She hit us a lot lighter than I thought she would, honestly. . . " I said, dusting myself off.

"Do you think she will join us?" Peter asked, helping a now conscious Julius to his feet.

"There's no telling for sure. I think she just needs time to cool down." I replied.

"And what do you plan to do about the little problem she created?" Malakai asked, motioning back to the area where Juliette's assistant lay dead in the street.

I thought about it for a moment. . . .

"Nothing. We were never even here!" I replied sly, before pulling my mask back on and heading out into the street.



[The royal castle. Throne room. Giant realm. 2 weeks after the battle in Haliday.]


The giant throne hall was a large square room. Along the wall, thrones of different design ranging from the smallest along the sides getting bigger until they reached the king's throne in the very center. Juliette's own seat was along the side along with Leonara and Florence. Between them and their father sat various older siblings and advisors to the king. Beside the king, sat his current queen, their mother.


Although. . . Since the war had begun in the West, the room had been used very little. While every member of the royal family was an accomplished warrior, it was decided that the 3 daughter's role for now would be training more soldiers for the army, making battle strategies and running the day to day operations of the kingdom.

Their activities in the human realm were largely unknown in the kingdom, before Ant's wanted poster and another assassination attempt only got the citizens more riled up. There were calls for all out war on them too, but right now the war effort was 100% focused on their giant enemies.


This day, Juliette and Leonara were both at home, which was rare. They sat in their thrones, in an otherwise empty room. Leo looking over battle plans and making strategies while Juliette played with the human boy Cain that she had taken from the human village. Since she had brought him home, all the women in the castle had since agreed that he was the cutest thing ever created and as such, he was usually the center of attention when he was in the room, constantly being smothered with affection.

As promised, the boy got everything he could ever ask for, and though he sometimes asked about his parents and siblings, Juliette was trying her best to make him see that he was better off with her. The fact that she had annihilated them all in brutal fashion did make it uncomfortable for her though.


Cain was on the left arm of her throne, between her and Leonara. He was practicing with a sword Juliette had given him, though it was dull so he wouldn't hurt himself. She coached him lightly on his footwork and showered him with praise as he was a quick learner.

It was then that Octavius, the head advisor to their father walked in, and knelt before the sister's.

"Your highness. . . . The human spy we sent with lady Anastasia has returned, and requested a word with you. . " he said, his tone humble.

"Is Anastasia too busy to see her own sister?" Juliette asked with a laugh.

Octavius said nothing, but presented the human to Juliette, placing him on the armrest opposite of Cain.


The middle aged man removed his hat and bowed to the princess. He was incredibly nervous and he kept glancing between the sisters. Leonara's steady gaze could give the most battle hardened warriors the chills and she liked it that way.

"So, human. . . .what news have you brought? Have you two found Antony Lockwood?" Juliette asked, leaning in to better hear him.

He gulped.

"Your highness. . . . Anastasia. . . Anastasia is dead." He said quietly, taking a step back in anticipation of her reaction.

The news hit her like a ton of bricks. She appeared to be trapped somewhere between crushing sadness, and boiling rage. In the blink of an eye, her hand shot out and the man found himself trapped in her fist. Instinctively, Leonara reached over and grabbed Cain, lifting him away from the danger of Juliette's movements

"WHAT. . . HAPPENED" She demanded, holding him up to her now, decidedly angry face.

"Julie. . . . Maybe he could better tell us what happened if you were a little more. . . Gentle. . . With him." Leo suggested, giving her sister a stern look.

Holding back the appropriate wave of emotion, Juliette released her grip on the man and he crumbled to his knees on the armrest in a coughing fit. Juliette waited impatiently for him to regain his composer.

"Now human. . . Tell us what happened! And do not test my patience!" Juliette said, grimly.


"It was. . . A spirit!" The man exclaimed, as much in fear of the spirit as of Juliette.


Octavius let out an audible gasp. Leonara's brow furrowed and Juliette's face turned red. Again she lunged for him to wring his little neck.


"That's enough, Juliette!" Leonara shouted, stopping her in mid grab.


Leo leaned over and plucked the human from the armrest too, before placing him on her own armrest as far away from Juliette as possible.


"I know you're upset. You have every right to be Julie, but this man isn't likely the cause of Anastasia's passing, and he isn't much use to us dead!" Leonara scolded.


Juliette just turned away in her seat and tears began to stream down her face as she broke down.


"Julie?. . . Julie, are you alright?" Came Cain's meager voice.


Juliette found it hard to stay angry or sad whenever Cain was around. Everything he did was so adorable. Hearing his voice melted her anger, but left her with the sadness. Her best friend was dead now.


"Why don't you go keep her company while aunty Leo talks to this man, hmm?" Leonara said to the boy before lifting him carefully back to Juliette's throne.



"Ok. . . So. . A spirit you say?" She asked, picking up where he had left off.



The man nodded apprehensively.


"What makes you think it was a spirit that killed her, not something else?" She questioned.



"The way everything happened. . . The way it looked and acted. . . It wasn't natural!" The man said, visibly shaken.


"First. . . . Can you describe to me what the spirit looked like?" Leo asked, grabbing a blank sheet of paper and her pencil.


The man carefully described the figure in a black cloak with a white mask that he had seen in the courtyard. A few moments later, Leonara showed him the sketch.


"Yes. . . That is exactly right!" He said, nodding.


She showed the drawing to both Juliette and Octavius. Both of them looked at it, Octavius with puzzle and Juliette with distain.


"I've. . . Never seen anything like it. . " Leonara commented.


"Neither have I." Octavius agreed.


Juliette responded again with anger.


"You expect me to believe that some. . . Ghost killed Anastasia!?" She demanded. "It's obvious he's lying!" She accused, pointing a finger at the man..


"And what reason would he have for lying Juliette? Clearly he knows the consequences of such an action!" Leonara argued as she focused her one visible eye on the man.


"Please sir. . . Tell us how it happened. . . Overlook no detail." She commanded.

". . . . Julie!" Cain, said, tugging on Juliette's sleeve. "Julie!"

"Not now Cain!" Juliette snapped, pulling her arm away from him.

"But Julie I-

"Cain!" She shouted, pounding her fist on the armrest.

He cowered in fear, retreating as far away from her as he could get on the armrest.


The man looked nervously at Juliette, who was giving him the stink eye from afar. He swallowed his fear and began.



"Well. . . We traveled from the capital as instructed by lady Juliette. . . . The. . The first thing of note we came across a band of giant women in human country. They were on their way back to some giant village to bury someone. . . I didn't hear the name of the person, but I did hear them vow vengeance on Antony Lockwood. They said something about he killed her in cold blood. . . In her sleep . . " the man explained.


At this, Juliette perked up, leaning in.


"We continued on until we came to the city of Haliday. . . Outside the city, she told me to keep my distance and watch her back. . . . She gathered everyone to the city square, and that's where she confronted it. . " The man said, trailing off as Leonara began to scribble on another piece of paper.


"Continue. . . " She said, not looking up.

"She started separating them by. . . By height and looks. . . I think. . .That was when she noticed it. . ."

"The spirit?!" Juliette interuppted.

"Y-yes. . . It was just sitting on a bench. . . Like it was trying not to be noticed. . " the man explained.

"Strange. . . Why would a spirit be trying not to get noticed?" Leo asked, knowingly in Octavius' general direction. "But then again, why would a spirit be just sitting on a bench?"

"I'm. . .not sure. . " he replied, shrugging.

"Unless. . . It wasn't a spirit at all. . " she insinuated.

The man seemed confused by this statement but held his tongue.

"Continue. . . Human!" Juliette growled.

"Ok. . . The giant. ." He began but a raised eyebrow from Leonara made him think twice. "Anastasia. . . She confronted the. . .spirit." the man decided. "And it. . . Just looked at her like it didn't understand what she was saying."

"Then. . . She went to grab it but. . . " the man said, closing his eyes as if trying to remember exactly what happened.

"What happened next?" Leonara prompted, patient as ever.

"She went to grab it, but then looked up to the rooftop. . . . And there it was."

"The spirit was on the roof?!" Juliette questioned in disbelief.

". . . . Yes. I saw it with my own two eyes! The spirit was on the rooftops and when we looked down, it had vanished from the bench! But. . . When she looked back to the roof. . . It was gone from there too!" The man exclaimed.

Octavius stood in disbelief. Leonara showed intrigue and Juliette was not amused. Cain was sitting by himself, on the verge of tears.

The man continued.

"She yelled at the crowd. . . . I don't remember what, but it was a threat. . . . Then she must have seen something because she ran through the crowd and over the courtyard wall. . . . I pushed through the crowd and when I got there. . . . She was bleeding from scratches on her legs and she had her sword drawn."

"What do you mean, scratches?" Juliette demanded, standing and looking over her sister.

"Th-three scratches. . . On each leg." He explained, unconsciously stepping back from her. "Like claw marks!"

Now both Leonara and Octavius seemed puzzled. Juliette continued to glare at him, teary eyed, but otherwise unphased by any aspect of his story thus far.


"It was strange. . . But I don't think she had time to worry about it because she was facing off with the spirit again only. . . . This time it transformed!" He exclaimed.

"Transformed how?" Leonara asked, her eye transfixed on the man.

"It. . . Was taller now. . . More broad." He said, turning to face her.

"Are you sure it wasn't something or someone else?" Juliette asked, planting her arms on her sister's armrests and bending over, getting right in his face now.

He timidly shook his no.

"How can you be sure?" She followed up.

"It. . . Was dressed the exact same. . . The exact same mannerisms. . . " He explained, stepping even further back.

"Julie!. . . Will you please control yourself!?" Leonara snapped, putting two fingers on Juliette's forehead and pushing her out of her lap.

Juliette stood, and began pacing back and forth.

"Please. ." Leo prompted the man.

"Next. . . She tried to crush the spirit with her sword, but she either missed or it dodged by millimeters! Oddly. . .after she attacked, it reached out and grabbed her sword."

"And did it have a three clawed hand?" Leo inquired, her attention fully trained on him.

". . . No. It didn't. . . It had bare hands. . . Regular hands."

The man paused and looked at Juliette. She stopped and looked at him, before throwing her hands up.

"What?! I'm not going to hurt you, just finishing telling the tale!" She shouted, rolling her eyes.

"Ok, so. . . The spirit grabbed her sword, and when she went to pull it away, she couldn't budge it! It was able to completely drag her! Then, when it let go, she went flying back and crushed a bunch of buildings. . . . That was all I saw. Next thing I knew, she was stabbed with her own sword and dead in the street." The man finished, looking between Leo and Juliette.

"Hmm." Was all Leo said.

Juliette was not so calm.

"How did you not see what happened?" Juliette demanded, stomping her foot and earning a startled yelp from Cain.

Leo reached over and gently grabbed Cain again, this time holding him in her cupped hands and stroking his back with her finger.

"She moved too fast! She was 3 streets over in two strides. I couldn't keep up. . " the man said, timidly.

"Pathetic!" Juliette spat at him before turning away.

"Excuse my sister please. . . She has been in a foul mood for weeks now!" Leonara said to the man, but it was aimed at Juliette. "The last question I have is. . . What did they do with her body?"

"The last I saw. . They had every horse in the city trying to pull her. . " he said, thinking back.

"Ok. Well, I think we have all the information we need. Octavius please take him back to his quarters." She commanded.

"Hey! I'm not done with him!" Juliette said, stepping in front of Octavius.

At 92 feet tall, Juliette towered over the man, and he had many unpleasant memories of dealing with her temper tantrums when she was a young girl. She looked down into his eyes, daring him to defy her but to his relief, Leo stood, still cupping Cain and stepped between them.

"Now please, Octavius." She said, and she didn't need to say it twice. He took off with haste, not looking back.

Juliette shot her sister a death glare, before turning and storming out.

"Hmm. . . . Well that sure was interesting wasn't it, Cain?" Leo asked with a chuckle strutting out of the throne room and down the hallway.

"Is. . . Julie mad at me?" He asked, looking up at her.

"Oh, no sweetie! Juliette is just. . . . Stressed. Do you know what stressed is, Cain?" She asked, holding him up to her face.

He shook his head no.

"It means that she has a lot going on right now, and everyone expects great things from her. She is just trying to make everybody happy and do the best she can. It's nothing you did. Ok?" Leo explained, looking him in the eye.

"Ok. . "He replied quietly, looking away.

"Now, what do you say we go to the dinner hall, hmm? I know you haven't eaten all day and I'm so hungry I could just gobble you up!" She exclaimed, playfully nibbling at his feet.

He laughed and began to feel a little better.

"Can I have pie for dinner?" He asked, smiling.

Leo chuckled.

"Maybe AFTER dinner! You'll never grow up as big and strong as we are if you don't eat your meat and vegetables!" She said, winking.

"But you guys are giants!" The boy proclaimed, throwing his arms up to show size.

"Well we weren't always! We all just eat healthy!" She said, pushing open the door to the great dinner hall.

Chapter 18 by Stevie
Author's Notes:
This chapter got pretty long, but a lot of good stuff I think.
We all went our separate ways but ultimately left town and reconvened with Cassius again.


"Did you guys. . . "Take care" of our little problem?" He asked as he leaned against a tree, smoking a cigarette.


"Yes. . . . Fair Henrietta of all people finished her off." I said, taking a seat on a fallen log.


"And what of her human ally?" He asked, looking amongst the 5 of us.


"Human ally?" Peter asked, confused.


"I saw her talking to a man before they went into the city. " Cassius said, casually.


"They have human spies now?" Julius asked in disbelief.


"I suppose it's easy enough for them to threaten anyone into working for them." I said, yawning.


"And you're not the least bit concerned about that?" Julius shouted, trying to get emotion out of any of us.


"The best we can do is watch the path and catch him when you recognize him." Malakai said to Cassius.


"We don't have time for that. We need to get Henrietta and keep moving. The sooner we get back to full strength, the better." I said, standing up. "The way I see it, Juliette and whoever else is coming whether they know about that giant woman or not."


"So what do you plan to do?" Malakai asked, resting his hand on his sword.


"Cassius, Julius and Peter. . . . Go into to town. . . See if you can find out where Henrietta lives. What she is doing here. It isn't safe to make camp, so the rest of us will have to make do out here." I said, taking the lead.


"Is there really a need for the masks? I mean, couldn't the four of you handle anyone who might try for the bounty? What more protection do you need?" Cassius asked, skeptical.


Malakai chuckled his deep chuckle.


"These masks aren't for OUR protection, believe me!" Peter said, glancing over at Cassius. "The masks are to take away the temptation of anyone who might be foolish enough to try and kill Ant."



"What does he mean Ant? " Cassius questioned, looking concerned.


I said nothing.


"He means. . . . You obviously haven't seen what Ant and his not so little girlfriend are actuallu capable of. . " Jacob said, spitefully.



"I. . . Don't know what you guys are talking about, but I'm not sure I want to know either." Cassius said cautiously before snubbing out his cigarette.



"Good enough. How about you 3 get moving, so we can get the hell back on the road?" Malakai asked, climbing on his horse.




[Giant kingdom. Juliette's blacksmith forge.]



Leonara walked down the hallway towards her sister's forge. This wasn't a talk she was looking forward having. but she had to do it. She stepped into the doorway and wrapped her knuckles on the open door.


"What is it?" Juliette asked coldly, without even looking up from the sword she was working on.


"Juliette. . . . I know this is probably a stupid question but. . . . Are you planning on going to that human city? Are you going to seek vengeance?" Leonara asked, idly picking up a sword and inspecting it.



"I have no choice. She was family." Juliette replied, emotionless.


"I understand that. . . . But. . . We don't even know what we are dealing with here!" Leo tried to reason.


"Don't tell me you believe in "The spirit", sister!" Juliette exclaimed, putting down the sword and glaring at Leonara.


"Haha of course not! But you know as well as I, how fruitless arguing with villagers, human or giant, can be!" Leo said, pulling out a stool and taking a seat.

"It just sounds like. . . These aren't the same low level kingdom slayers we faced at the mine. That's all." Leonara said, looking her sister in the eye.

"It doesn't matter who they are! I can't forgive them. Forgive him!" Juliette said, passionately.

"Julie. . . . I know you WANT it to be him. . . But we don't even know for sure that this group WAS him! Just running into there blind. . . That isn't how we do things!" Leo said, trying to reason with her.

"What are you so worried about?!" Juliette demanded.

"It's the things you don't worry about that will kill you!" Leonara said, standing up. "Please. . . At least let me come with you."

"You are not coming with me!" Juliette said, folding her arms.

"And why not? You know that together we can beat just about anyone!" Leo said, with a smile.

"The answer is no. . . . "



[Haliday. One week after the death of Anastasia.]


I crouched in the back of the wagon as Peter drove it into an alley behind a large building. A tap on the side of the wagon let myself, Jacob and Malakai know it was safe to get out. We kicked in the back door and disarmed the 6 men that came to fight us, before walking through another door to find Henrietta with her feet up on a desk.

"Well well, to what do I owe the pleasure?" She asked, like she was expecting us.

"Pretty nice place you got here!" Malakai said as he knelt, too tall to fully stand in the room.

"It is nice! And I intend to keep it that way. . . You guys need to leave. NOW!" She replied, giving the impression that she didn't want us to be seen by someone.

"What are you now, a debt collector for the village leader? That sure is a step up for you! I'm honestly proud." I said with a hint of sarcasm.

"Anything is a step up from always bein' on the run! Livin' in the shit and the filth!" She replied, glaring at me. "I finally have a home!"

"You may not have had a house with us, but you WERE home!" I replied, trying to make her remember.

"I've really. . . Had enough of your mouth moving!" She said, putting her feet down and standing up, her own head mere inches from touching the ceiling.

"What is it going to take?" I asked, fed up with the dance we were doing.

"Hmm. . . What is it going to take? Isn't that a 100 thousand gold question!" Henny mused.

She paces for a moment, thinking before her eyes lit up.

"You want to make this whole thing up to me? Ok! I'm gonna need you and little Jakeypoo to go on a little errand for me!" She said, with a big grin.

"What type of errand?" I asked, leaning up against the wall.

"The. . . Problem solving kind!" She said thoughtfully. "See. . . Stories and rumors of a mysterious being terrorizin' a city and river that runs through it a few miles away have been poppin' up. People have come here seeking me out to help, but I've got such a demanding work schedule, that I haven't had the time. You boys will handle it, won't you? Bring me back proof that you did the deed! She said, her voice falsely sweet.

"What kind of "mysterious being"?" Jacob asked, speaking up.

Henny only giggled.

"I don't think it much matters!. . . If you two really want to win back my heart, than here's your opportunity!" She said, sitting back into her oversized chair.

"Fine! Give us the directions and we'll get it done." I said, begrudgingly.

I didn't like anything about this, but if it's what it took to get Henrietta back on our side, it was worth it.

"I'm told it resides under a big waterfall North of here. Ride until you reach the river. Simple as that!" She explained, smirking.

"Ok. We're going." I said, as I motioned for Jacob to leave.

"Eh eh!" Henrietta said, stopping us. Her grin widened even more. "The swords stay here!"

Jacob and I looked at each other before taking our swords off and handing them to Peter.

"You have 3 days!" Henrietta called as we walked back out the door.


Some time and more than "a few miles"later we came across the city she had told us about. Nobody really seemed to be too concerned with whoever this being was, but the presence of 2 figures in black cloaks with white masks was a little unsettling. We began to follow the shallow, narrow river upstream to where this being supposedly resided.


The trees became thicker and vines began to hang the further upstream we went and the horses began to struggle. We said nothing as we traveled, me because I had nothing to say, Jacob because he just flat out wasn't speaking to me.

Finally after 4 or 5 miles we began to hear a waterfall. We came out of the brush to a sight we did not expect. There was a large, shallow pool in the river where the waterfall came down, and scattered all over the area were human sized bones, suits of armor, and other miscellaneous items strewn about. Some looked like they had been there for ages. Some of the trees had been smashed, flattened and splintered as well, and there were slightly ominous giant foot prints all over the ground.

And that wasn't even the worst part.

Immediately after leaving the tree line, the smell hit us. It was as if something that already smelled horrible, also died and was now decaying.

And indeed it was. Whatever "it" was. Lying in a heap by the water's edge. We dismounted our horses and cautiously approached it.

The large creature had greenish blue, wrinkled skin, scraggly hair and 2 large sharp teeth jutting from its lower row, though its mouth was only slightly open. Fighting giants all day, you get good at judging height and this creature appeared to be about 25 feet tall. Its build was stocky, with broad shoulders and short legs with 3 toes on each foot. The body looked pretty mangled, with a crushed arm and a twisted leg. The chest was also flattened.

"Jacob. . . Can we talk about. . . Why you aren't speaking to me?" I asked as we examined the creature.

He said nothing, as he lifted the arm of it, looking closely.

"I mean. . . You're here with me. You stayed after I rescued you. You are back in the family. . . . I don't understand why you are going through all the steps except for just telling me what your problem is!" I stated, getting it off my chest.

"You want to know why?" Jacob asked, his tone irritated as he spoke directly to me for the first time since the night I killed Zahra. "It's beca-

Just as he was speak his mind, my soul began to tingle and burn as the corpse began to glow green. We both stepped back as it began to creak and move as it reanimated. A moment later, this "giant" creature was standing before us, still obviously dead, but moving under the power of the death goddess for sure. The use of her magic was affecting me too.

I looked around, and spotted a faint green glow coming from behind the waterfall. It must have been whoever was controlling this creature, but there was no time to think as it picked up a club, which must have been it's primary weapon. On instinct, I reached over my shoulder and Jacob to his side but we both came up empty handed for our swords.

"Huh. . . " I said, as I remembered giving my sword to Peter. "I guess we will have to do this the old fashioned way!" I said with a chuckle.

Jacob didn't reply as he easily side stepped a smash from the creature. His face was perfectly calm as we both just watched the creature move. It swung wildly but made no natural noises or fluidity.

"I will. . . Leave this little guy to you, and I will talk to whoever is behind this." I said calmly, before turning and wading into the river. The water was somehow crystal clear despite the waterfall's turbulence and as the water came up to my waist, I noticed there were large, dark spots in the river bed, where the water got much deeper.

I looked back, and saw my brother just generally avoiding the creature. He hasn't yet gone on the offensive yet for whatever reason. As I continued on, the water got naturally deeper, and by the time I was under the the falls, it was up to my shoulders . I pushed passed the crashing water and under the wall of water, was on the other side was a large cave, elevated above the water, except it looked like it had been carved by humans.

The light was coming from further in, but there were torches on the walls, illuminating it. I climbed out of the water and walked slowly and cautiously deeper. The cave meandered back and forth a few times before taking a hard left, and I could tell that was where the light was coming from.

I peeked around the corner, and sitting on a carpet, with his eyes closed was a middle aged man. There was a withered old staff by his hand and he was glowing green inside his chest. My own soul began to ache with the influence of the goddess of death in the cave.

I was just about to spring out and confront him, but it seemed he felt my presence as well because his eyes opened and he was looking right at me with glowing green eyes.



In the blink of an eye, he reached for the staff and blasted a massive fireball from it. I turned and ran, the giant flame following me back through the cave but steaming out as I burst through the waterfall. On the opposite side, Jacob was sitting calmly on the shore, with the creature on the other side of the river, beaten but also done being reanimated.

"Jacob! Get off your ass and get ready to fight!" I screamed as I ran as fast as I could through the water. I regrouped with him as he stood and together we watched as the man emerged from behind the falls.

"He used prayers with his staff!" I said to my brother as we squared up, swordless.

"Is he a slayer? " Jacob asked, giving up the silent treatment for the moment.

"I don't know for sure. . . Just don't let your guard down." I told him.

The way the man waded through the water told me that he wasn't a slayer. He struggled to push through efficiently with only the strength of a human although he didn't look worried as he faced off with us.

"Are you the being whose been terrorizing the villages around here?" I asked, causing the man to stop when we were about 20 yards away.

"Terrorizing?" The man asked, slightly confused. "I have no business with any of the villages around here. I am the guardian of the omega staff! The affairs of humans are not my concern." The man declared.

"Well. . . You fit the description of the being we were sent here to kill, but if you are not he or she, than we have no business with you." I told him, but I didn't take my eyes off of him.

"It appears that somebody already killed the creature, brother! " Jacob said to me, his eyes glued on the man as well.

"Someone did kill him. . . . But he was no threat to the villagers either! Just one of the last of his kind." The man said, a sadness in his voice. "Also a guardian."

"So what are you saying? That our information was wrong?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "That you just happened to be exactly where we were told you'd be is a coincidence?"

"What you were told is none of my business! I've just been burdened with protecting the staff!" The man declared, preparing for an attack.

"Well. . . . I don't know anything about your staff. . . But our mission is bigger than it! If taking your head convinces Henrietta to rejoin us so we can win the fight with the giants. . . Then it's what we have to do!" I informed him, my tone impersonal.

He paused for a moment.

"Did you just say giants?" He asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"Yes. They are well on their way to taking over the human realm. My family of slayers may very well be the last hope of man!" I said, looking him dead in the eye.

"Fool! . . . A giant was the one who attacked me and killed merthryl!" He said, pointing at the corpse.

"That thing has a name?" Jacob asked, looking at it in disgust.

"That "thing" was one of the last river trolls in existence!" The man stated, offended.

"What is a river troll?" Jacob and I asked in unison.

The man laughed.

"Do you think the world only includes giants, slayers and humans?! No. . . . There are many. .MANY. . creatures our there that none of you know anything about! "


"And it was a guardian of this staff as well?" Jacob asked.

"Yes, he was. . . Until that monster came up here and murdered him!"

" What did the giant look like?" I asked, hoping for leads.

The man was silent for a moment, deep in thought. Finally he spoke.

"Let me show you." He said, cryptically.


Suddenly, the man began to glow blue and a second later, the world around us began to change. The environment seemed to be warping, almost imperceivably at first, but then the sky changed to gloomy from sunshine, and the body of the creature was gone too. Finally the world stopped changing and I felt the familiar feel of magic completely enveloping my body. Jacob looked very uncomfortable with the whole thing.

"Watch." The man directed.

As we stood in silence, I felt a soft tremor. . . Then another. . . And another. I looked around to catch a glimpse of what was approaching but the trees around the river were too tall. Then. . Just as quickly as they had begun. . . . They stopped, just outside the edge of the trees.

Silence. . .


The man's eyes were closed now, and it looked like he was focusing on creating this. . . Vision? Or memory. .

Just as I began to fall into the lull of the calm, there was a deafening roar from somewhere behind us. We turned just in time to see the river troll come barreling out from the waterfall. It looked in much better condition than when we had seen it and when it moved on it's own accord, using it's fists on the ground for stability as it shuffled.


It stopped in the center of the pool, only a few yards from where the man was standing, and let out a another roar, pounding it's fists. As we watched, it looked down as if it was searching for something in front of it. It looked back and forth in the water but didn't seem to find what it was looking for. It was then that it looked up and noticed something behind us.


Jacob and I turned slowly and noticed for the first time, a giant pair of ankle high boots, with bone anklets draped over the top, standing on the shore, just outside the treeline. I instantly recognized them.

"Are. . . Are those human bones?" Jacob asked, looking at me in disbelief.

"Slayer." I replied, bluntly.

The river troll cautiously approached, and out of habit, we stepped out of its way as the memory played through where we were standing. It stopped in front of the boots and just stared, confused.

"It wasn't the brightest of creatures, was it?" I whispered in my brother's ear.

Suddenly it realized what it was looking at, and it's head craned back, up up up to Leonara some 120 feet taller than it. It must have been it's first time seeing anything alive larger than itself, because the troll seemed to look up in disbelief. It even let out an involuntary whimper, because it knew that it had to face this giant being.

The troll seemed to shake the fear from its mind as it let out a another roar before it charged forward, trying to plow into her and push her back. Unfortunately, it didn't weigh enough to even budge her. It hit her calf and tried to dig it's feet in, but it just slipped and treaded dirt.

It sort of put things into perspective. . . Seeing someone or something else being the outsized one for once. Us slayers were used to it, but this troll didn't seem to fathom it. It continued to try to push, but Leonara just stood her ground, looking down at it.

A moment later she reached down and grabbed it by scruff of it's neck like a stray cat. She hoisted it to her face, but this time she didn't have the same sadistic look that she did when she had Jag in her clutches. No. . . This look was 100% focus and concentration.

"Are you the keeper of the omega staff?" She asked the troll.

It only squirmed and roared in response, it's arms flailing wildly and it's jagged teeth gnashing. She just sort of examined it for a brief period, before apparently deciding it wasn't intelligent enough to be the keeper. With a flick of her wrist, she tossed the troll off into the distance like it weighed nothing.

Next, she turned and looked in the direction of the waterfall. She placed her satchel on the ground before stepping into the river pool. Although we weren't physically a part of the memory, the water rose around us as the woman displaced it with her sheer size.

Again we stepped out of the way as she crossed the pool in two steps. She crouched down in the ankle deep water and tried to see through the waterfall. Her hand reached out and touched the water, before pushing through it. Her arm disappeared up to her elbow, when suddenly the whole world shifted and suddenly we were inside the cave as a giant hand penetrated the wall of water.

We both watched as the man. . . . As he appeared in this memory, hid with his back against the wall where the outcropping was. The giant hand felt around, and just as it felt the corner, the man pulled out a dagger and plunged it into her pointer finger, immediately her hand flinched and withdrew.


There was a lull for a few moments before out of nowhere, Leonara's face plunged through next. She took a quick glimpse of the cave, before pulling her drenched head back out.

Another pause before. . . . Leonara's sword pierced the waterfall and narrowly missed the man as it shot through the length of the cave and stuck into the back wall. The man used this opportunity to mount a counter attack, rushing around the corner wielding the staff. As he ran toward the entrance, he began to glow brown and the earth seemed to be under his control as jagged spears of rock shot up ahead of him.

Suddenly the view again shifted to the outside just as the spears pierced the falls. I know for sure that a normal giant would have been impaled, but it seemed that Leonara shared the same unreal reflexes as her sister, because she whipped her head back just in time to avoid the spears.

Another 3 big spikes plunged from under the water near her chest, but again she dodged, using her flexibility to both evade the attack, sucking in her chest, and pull her sword from the cave as she did. The man exited the cave still glowing, and tried to push through the chest deep water but it was clear he didnt possess any special strength and he was barely able to creep.

A look of panic shown on his face as Leonara stood up and stared him down, water dripping off of her. She raised her sword and went to skewer him with the tip of her sword but he used the staff to raise a wall of rock, and it bought him just enough time to get out of the way before her sword smashed it to bits in a shower of rocks.

He stumbled up on to the bank but Leonara didn't give him time to breathe. She was on top of him in a second, and the human eye wouldn't have been able to see the protection prayer he cast at the last second before her foot smashed down on him.

Leo looked down, expecting to see a flattened corpse under her foot, but instead, a see through blue orb surrounded the man, protecting him. It pressed into the muddy bank until it reached the hard ground beneath and that was when she leaned in, determined to crush him.

At first it seemed like the orb could withstand her weight, to which both myself, Jacob and Leonara were surprised, but a moment later. . . . . The first crack appeared.

Then another spidered through it.

This was an odd situation because here we were, watching this man about to die, but at the same time, we were talking to him now so we knew he survived this. It had me intrigued to find out how because it appeared he was in a world of trouble now.


More cracks appeared as Leonara was standing full weight on it now. She seemed impressed somehow but she said nothing, just waiting to finish him off. The man was barely visible now through all the cracks and everyone knew it would shatter in another few seconds.

The man looked around desperately, but apparently he could only use one type of magic at a time and if he tried something else, he would be flattened as soon as he released the orb. He was effectively trapped.

Or so I thought. . .

Just then, I heard a familiar roar, as the river troll came running from the trees and struck her leg with a shoulder charge. It didn't move her much but since she was slightly off balance, it was enough to make her step off of the orb.

The man immediately broke the spell, and for the first time I could see how tired he looked now. With Leonara distracted, he crawled into the trees and hid to catch his breath.

Meanwhile, Leonara was officially irritated now, and she snatched the troll from the ground by its arm. It dangled helplessly and all it could do is roar interactively.

"Please stop!" She screamed at it. " I don't want to kill you but you aren't leaving me any choice!" She pleaded.

That was honestly the last thing I expected her to say after her display of brutality at the mine. . .

The troll swung wildly at her, its reply to her offer clear.

Without further hesitation, she raised her arm high, before smashing the troll into the ground at her feet. It screamed in pain as it lay stunned on the bank. With that taken care of, Leo scanned the trees for any sign of the human. Out of the corner of her eye, she thought she saw movement and was just about to investigate, when she felt a tugging at her boot.


She looked down to see the troll in a last ditch effort to fight her. With a solemn look on her face, she lifted her boot and placed it on the the trolls arm. She took a deep breath, before stepping down to a pained scream and the crunch of bone. The troll desperately tried to get it's arm free, clawing at her boot with it's other hand.

Leo just looked down, her expression unreadable. Next she lifted her other foot and placed it on the trolls leg. Another crunch. Still it growled and bit at her. Leo lifted the foot that had crushed it's arm and held it above the trolls chest. She looked around, like she was expecting to see the man walking out of the trees in an effort to save it. . . .

But there was no one.

She lowered her foot one last time, crushing the trolls ribs and ending it's life.

She stepped off of it, and began to comb the trees, looking for the man. She didn't have to look long as the man summoned a spell. . .

Leonara looked down to see the trees moving on there own, wrapping themselves around her legs and waist. Her eyes got wide and she began to hack and slice at them in a panic, but they just kept coming. She struggled against them but ultimately had to retreat back to the pool.

The man was waiting for her on the opposite bank and as she stumbled out of the grasp of the trees, she nearly caught more spikes but at this point she was sick of the games and used her sword to smash through them. Before he could make more, she charged him. .

It was then that he was forced to use his most powerful ability. His body glowed red, and he raised the staff. What happened next made our jaw drop as a massive ball of fire shot from the staff in the form of a dragon. Leonara sidestepped the initial attack but the Dragon came back around. She used her sword to parry but even though the edge was able to split the fire, but it went around her blade.


That was when we witnessed something even more unbelievable. Leonara's agility. As the dragon came for her face she leaned back at the knees, supporting herself with her hand as the flames passed over her. With a kick of her legs, she flipped over using her arm and sword and a second later she was back on her feet.

The man, myself and Jacob were all taken aback by it. I had never in my life seen a giant move like that. . . But she was about to out do herself. . .

The man pushed forward into the river, the dragon weaving back and forth as it prepared for another attack. It was obvious that the use of the magic was wearing him down as the river more easily pushed him around but still he pressed on. It looked like he only had enough energy to use it one more time.

They squared off. . .


The man began to glow a deeper, darker shade of red, and the flame dragon got even larger, matching Leonara in height. Without warning, it surged forward.

This time, Leo didn't parry and instead threw her sword at the man, causing a massive splash. She used the distraction to turn and run, with the dragon hot on her heels. She ran to her right and in two bounds she scaled the side of the cliff and was 75 feet up on the waterfall.

What she did next shocked me to the core. . .

Leonara leapt from the edge, getting as much height as she could. . .

She cleared the dragon, and all we could do was watch as her shadow grew bigger and bigger over the man. It seemed to happen so slow. . . . Her boots closing in on him.

At the last possible second, the flame dragon vanished and I thought I saw another blue orb before the impact. . .

That impact. . . . Unlike anything I had ever felt before.

Even though we were on a different. . . . Plane? . . . The impact still affected us. Both myself and my brother were thrown back into the trees on the left side of the river and drenched in water. The leaves were blown from the branches and every animal within 300 yards took off.

By the time we were back on our feet it was all over. Leonara was standing with her feet together where the man used to be. . .

I was relieved to see that the man wasn't smashed, but his lifeless body was floating in the pool by her ankle, the water red now. Leonara reached down and delicately plucked the staff from the water and tucked it away for safe keeping, before she grabbed the man.

His limp form was eclipsed in her hand the same as Jag and for a split second, I was back at the mine watching her toy with a man's life like it was nothing. I shook the vision from my head and just watched what she planned to do now.

This time, she wasn't playful or curious and before two seconds had passed I heard the unfortunate sound of flesh and bones being crushed inside a fist, followed by the drip of blood into the water.

Leonara dropped the crumpled corpse into the pool unceremoniously before she walked to the shore. . .where she stopped and stood, motionless.

As if she had a second thought, she turned around and walked back over to the man's body. She knelt and scooped it from the water again. She seemed to examine it closely, and everything seemed calm. . . But unexpectedly, she wrapped both hands around him and wrung his body like a dish rag. Every bone in his body that hadn't been crushed in her fist, was obliterated now. .

She carried the mangled mess to the shore and sat down, placing his body down and grabbing her hair in her hands. She squeezed the water out of it and began piling branches. Next, she removed her boots and placed them next to the pile. She stood up and walked barefoot back into the water to grab her sword.

Time seemed to shift forward and the next time it returned to normal, she had a fire started and was now drying her clothes. When they were dry, she stood up and prepared to leave. Just as she was about to go. . . . She reached over and tossed the corpse into fire.
Chapter 19 by Stevie
As the vision faded away, it left a lot more questions than answers. I guess I had a few less than Jacob, because he started in immediately.


"What was that?! And who was that woman?! And what are you?! How are you here now when we just watched you die?!" He demanded, a wild look in his eyes.


The man chuckled.


"The woman was one of the three daughters." I said, calmly. "A master strategist and apparently not half bad in a brawl. I've faced her once before. . . . Not everyone walked away from it. . ."


"That is more than I knew about her. . . Not that I had never fought a giant before, but she had an aura about her. . . Like the less time I spent fighting her. . . The better." The man added.


"And so how did you survive? If that truly was what happened here, than you clearly perished! And none too gently." Jacob commented.

"A simple trick of the brain. . . I won't get into the details, but essentially I seamlessly blended reality with one of my visions. After I hid in the trees I used it and blended them when she was struggling against the branches."

"So. . . I gather that you aren't a slayer. . . . What are you?" Jacob asked, cautiously.

Again the man laughed.

"No, I'm not a slayer. . . . Though in some distant, distant way. . . We are connected. . . . . My people were the first created." He stated, as he began to walk to the shore, apparently deciding we weren't a threat.

"The first created?" My brother and I asked together.

"Yes. . And before you give me some pre-rehearsed history lesson. . . Humans and giants were not the first races the gods ever created. Not even close."

"So. . . What are you?" I asked, walking back to dry ground as well.

"Hmmm. . . That is a good question. . . Well. . . Physically. . . I'm not so different from a human. No incredible strength or speed. . .durability. . But my soul. . . . . Our souls were as close to the gods as they ever saw fit to create." He said, sitting down next to a large pile of ash that I now knew to be from Leonara's fire.

"What does that mean exactly" Jacob asked, confused as he calmed his horse.

"Prayers without permission essentially . . Elemental and reality control." I said, looking at the man, wide eyed.

"Among other things. . " He said, humbly.

"So wait. . . If you were the first created. . . How old are you?" Jacob asked, fascinated. "Even a giant's lifespan isn't as long as you would be talking. . . Only the giant king. . "

"I'm not immortal, if that's what you're asking. . . Although I personally have found a means to negate the effect of time, if say. . A one thousand five hundred ton woman were to jump on me from the top of a waterfall. . . . I would be as dead as any other living being in that situation." He explained.

"If a whole race of people like you actually exists. . . Why are we just now hearing about it?" I asked, skeptical.

"The gods. . . We pulled our power from the same place as them. . . As we grew and developed, some of us began to rival their abilities. . . So much so that they saw fit to wipe us out and start fresh. . . And thus giants and humans were born."

My eyes narrowed.

"You're telling me. . . . Giants were created to extinguish a race of. . . gods? " I asked, totally in disbelief.

The man chuckled but said nothing.

"It would make sense. . . The gods lose control of you, they create the giants to kill you. They lose control of the giants, they create us." I said, summing it up.

"I wonder. . . What do they create when they can't control you?" The man said, thoughtfully.

"I think you've already seen it. . ." I answered solemnly. "That woman and her sisters have single handedly begun the extinction of both the human and slayer race."

"And yet. . . Here you two are with no swords or anything to defend yourselves." The man replied, giving us a look like he thought we were fools.

"Like I said. . . We are doing what we have to do. We have to do right by our family in order to get them back on our side." I said, coldly.

"So do you intent to kill me?" The man asked, though he didn't seem confrontational.

". . . . No. I don't suppose we do. ." I said finally, looking to Jacob. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Besides. . . Giants seeked to end you just as they seek to destroy us now. We are walking in your footsteps and I think this meeting is fate."

"Hmm. . . . It sounds like you are inviting me to join your party. . ." He said, leaning up against a tree and kicking his feet out.

"I suppose I am. . . . We need all the strength we can muster for what lies ahead." I replied, following suit and leaning back.

"As lovely an offer as that sounds. . . I'm afraid I must decline. The staff must be protected." He said, closing his eyes.

"Fair enough. . . . But. . . What do you think is going to happen when our 150 foot tall friend realizes that the staff she has now. . . Isn't the real omni staff. . " I began.

"Omega staff." The man corrected.

"Right. . . Whatever. . . Point being. . . What better way to keep the staff safe, then to not have it be exactly where the world apparently knows it is?" I finished, knowing that point couldn't be argued.

The man laughed at this.

"You think I'm afraid of that giant coming back here?" He scoffed at us.

"It isn't a matter of fear." My brother and I said together.

"Lack of fear doesn't keep a monster like her from twisting your spine and throwing you into the fire. . ." I said coldly.

I knew I struck a chord with that.

He was silent for a time.

"She was skeptical of your death the last time. There is no way she falls for it again." Jacob added.



"That doesn't mean that I want to band together with a couple of swordless giant slayers!" He replied, looking between us.


"We are the best chance this world has of stopping them! You only faced Leonara. Her sisters Florence and Juliette are out there too. Every single one of them is unreal." I said, pridefully.


"None of that concerns me." He replied, waving me off.


"And just how does this land, overrun with giants fit into your master plan to keep the staff safe?" Jacob asked, as he climbed on to his horse, apparently tired of wasting time with this. "Your troll is dead, your home exposed. Your race seemingly extinct. . . You have nothing to lose at this point. "


. . . .


A half hour later, the 3 of us were on our way back to Haliday. The man, whose name we learned was Monte, riding on the back of Jacob's horse. As we rode, he filled us in on the history of his race and the unfortunate relationship that they had with the gods.


He was able to shed some light on to why the gods could only create something new to deal with their past creations, instead of just destroying them and it gave us a new perspective on our own existence.


Eventually, we reached the city, and dawning our masks again, we made our way back to Henrietta's compound.


"You?!" Monte shouted, when he saw who had commissioned his assassination.


"You really let me down here, boys. . ." Henrietta said, sighing.


"You two know each other?" I asked, confused.


"Yes. . . When this woman was a little girl, just about every day she would come up with some type of scheme to get the staff from me!" The man laughed. " and every day she would leave empty handed. . "



Henrietta just scowled and looked away.


"But. . . Even though she lost every day. . . Little by little, her footwork became better. . . Her swordplay faster. . . She gained some control over that immense strength the gods saw fit to give her. . . And eventually she became a proficient warrior."



"So. . . You're saying. . . You trained Henrietta?" Jacob asked, his eyes wide.


"Well I- " Monte began


"He hardly trained me! More like humiliated, taunted, and tortured me!" Henrietta interuppted.


"You're lucky merthryl didnt kill you!" Monte chuckled.

"I was hoping that these two idiots would kill you! Or the other way around! But no!. . .here you all are! " Henrietta ranted.


"And you'll be joining us, won't you?" I asked her, with a fake smile.

Henrietta grumbled something under her breath


"I said you had to bring back his head!" She spat at me.


"Yeah well. . . . Here is his head. . . It just so happens to be attached to the rest of him. I'd say you have an obligation to us!" Jacob chimed in.


"When did you get a sense of humor, you little shit?!" She replied, glaring at him.



"A deals a deal. . . .or do I need to send Monte after you for old times sake?" I asked with a grin.


". . . Shut up!" Was the only reply I got, as she walked out of her office.




Luckily for us, Henrietta kept her word. She even did us one better, and declared the entire team off limits to bounty hunters in Haliday. The city was also declared under our protection. With that done, we were able to easily gather supplies for the rest of the journey and it turned out, the city was grateful to us for taking care of Juliette's assistant.


While their support was appreciated, in the back of my mind I couldn't help but worry about what would happen to them when Juliette inevitably showed up. We couldn't exactly hang around waiting for her to show up, but at the same time, even if we weren't there, there now no promise that she wouldn't just level Haliday anyway out of revenge. Around the fireplace at an inn, I spoke my worries to everyone.



"We are most definitely not fightin' any giants here!" Henny declared, pounding her fist on the table.

"Ant is right! What guaranty do we have that she won't just crush this place either way?" Malakai asked, looking to her.


"Well I mean. . . She IS just after ANT. . Isn't she? We could just set him out front and let him fend for himself!" Henrietta suggested with a wicked grin.


The look on everyone's face told her they didn't find it funny.


"Oh screw you, guys! It was just a joke! You know I wouldn't ever put our precious Ant in any real danger!" She said, sweetly. "Don't worry! I've got the makings of a plan. We just need to figure out the finer details."


Three days later we were two cities east of Haliday in Durham. It was one of the many cities inside an invisible boundary that were ordered evacuated by the king. Everyone inside the line was shipped to one of 4 major fortress cities depending on location. I knew that it could come to this, but I honestly thought that at least one of these sisters would be dead by now.



It was a strange feeling being in a city that big entirely abandoned. Granted, it had only happened a few weeks ago, so time hadn't worn it down at all, but just seeing buildings this tall and modern, and nobody inside, was more than a little weird. That being said, it was perfect for what we needed, so long as Juliette took the bait and didn't stop to utterly destroy Haliday. . .



[Day 5 after the slayers departed: Haliday]

Tremors.

Tremors signaling the arrival of something large.

Henrietta had warned the people of the city that she was coming, so when the massive blonde woman emerged from the forest, while there was still fear, a wide spread panic didn't break out. Everybody watched as she thundered to the front gate of the city and stopped.

All according to plan.

The woman knelt, and the look on her face showed pain as she examined the makeshift "memorial" that the slayers or humans had made for Anastasia. Tears welled up as she looked over the sword she had made for Anastasia, stuck deep into the ground outside the front gate.

It had a light layer of rust on it now, as it rained in the human realm almost constantly it seemed. Juliette had to tell herself to keep calm at seeing this. . . . It wasn't a grave to commemorate her fallen sister. It was a warning to any other giant that might try their luck in this human city.

Unacceptable.

She wrapped her hand around the handle and pulled it from the ground. Unfortunately, the sheathe was nowhere to be found so she settled for just wiping the dirt off of it and wrapping it in an extra cloth she carried, before strapping it to her back beneath her own sword.


With that out of the way, she stood and walked to the gate again, this time, stepping into the city. As she looked around, she found it odd that the people weren't scrambling to hide from her. She had become used to that reception by now, even when she was feeling friendly, but in her currently foul mood, this only worked to irritate her.

"Let me speak to your city leader." Juliette demanded, keeping the tone of her voice in check.

She stood and waited as a "tall" young man made his way through the now gathering crowd and stopped in front of her feet. She gazed down at him, more or less sizing him up, and he pretty much did the same. She immediately noticed that he didn't seem to be afraid. He wasn't trembling, nor did he even look the least bit nervous. At the same time. . .there was something familiar about his face, that she couldn't put her finger on.

"You must be Juliette, I presume?. . ." The man asked calmly, but loud enough for her to hear him.

"I am. . . Did the slayers inhabiting this city warn you of me?" She asked, just focusing her cold gaze on him.

". . Yes. . . Except they are no longer here. I was told to give you a message. The slayers have continued east, and will likely have no more business here. They know that a meeting with you is inevitable but they also know that what happened to your assistant was. . . Unfortunate. " the man said, gauging her reaction.

She clenched her fists. . Not because she didn't like his answer, but because she could tell he was telling the truth. Every fiber of her body told her to crush this entire city, but something else weighed heavy on her mind. The fact that the gods seemed to be punishing her exclusively for her every action.

"Unfortunate indeed. ." She replied. "Thank you for the information, but I'm afraid I must be going."


And with that, Juliette walked out the gate and around the city, heading east.

When they were sure she was gone, the real city leader emerged and handed Jacob his sword.

"Thank you for that. That is twice now you guys have saved this place." He said, as Jacob mounted his horse.

"Yeah well. . . Convincing her not to destroy the city was only one small part of the plan. We still have to fight her. . . ." He said, wearily as he rode off.


[5 days after the slayers departed: Durham]

Peter came riding into the center of the city, where the base of operations had been set up. He gave the secret call, letting everyone know that it was safe to come out of hiding.

"I just saw Juliette searching the last city back for us! She should be here within the hour." He said, jumping down from his horse.

"Was she alone?" I asked, walking out from an alley.

"Yes, it appeared so." He replied.

"Ok. This is all according to plan." I said, as everyone else emerged. "Remember, keep your distance, and stay coordinated. Only get close if you absolutely have to and don't waste attacks. This isn't some run of the mill village giant. She is a master swordsman."

"Alright. . . Let's get into position." Peter said, as he slapped his horse on the rear end and watched it run to safety."

Malakai, Henrietta, and Monte all dispersed in different directions leaving myself, Peter, Cassius and Julius to set up on the main street.

"Ok. . . You two get out of town, and wait for the smoke to clear." I said, pointing the way out of the city.

Cassius said nothing, but handed something to Peter before he turned and walked away. Julius just stood.

"What are you waiting for?" I asked him, confused.

"I. . . I'm staying. . . I can help you guys!" He said, although his voice was shaking.

"You will only get in way kid!" I said, pointing again to where Cassius was walking.

"Let me help, Ant! I saved you before and I can do it again! I'm ready!" He said, standing his ground.

"I think your memory is a bit shaky, friend. . . . Now go!" I replied, beginning to lose my patience.

"Peter! Tell him I can help!" Julius shouted, looking between us.

Peter looked to me and nodded but said nothing.

"Fine! Just keep your head down and stay out of the way!" I said, getting myself into position on one side of main street. Above my head, the edge of a roof kept me from sight from any giants.


Peter and Julius took the opposite side of the street, behind another building some 25 feet away. Julius closest to the street, Peter behind him.

There we waited.

About 20 minutes later, we heard the gallop of a horse and the secret call. . . Jacob returning. We didn't reply, except with an answering call. I didn't see where exactly he went but it didn't matter because a minute later, I felt a tremor.

And another.

And another.

Juliette.


I quickly peeked around the corner and saw that about 500 yards away, she was standing at the entrance to the city. Although the city was surrounded by a 50 foot wall, it was obvious that it was only meant to keep out humans. It looked tiny in comparison to her, only coming midway up her thigh. I guess the humans never thought a giant would make it this far inland.

Juliette just stood there, cautiously looking for signs of movement or life anywhere. A full 3 minutes later, she finally drew her sword and stepped over the wall.

As soon as she touched the ground on this side of the wall, my soul lit up. It burned more intensely than it ever had as the death goddess made her presence known. But. . . As much as we could use the power boost right now, I knew I couldn't give over control of my body with my teams little faith in me already hanging in the balance.

I pushed back against her influence, straining as hard as I could and actually felt my soul flex and twist, threatening to crack as I rejected a force far stronger than myself. Her will bored into me like a hot knife, and I could hear her voice in my head but still I refused her permission. She continued the pressure for what seemed like an eternity, even as Juliette began to walk down main street. All I knew is I really didn't want a moral repeat of the Zahra incident and so I held out.

Worst case scenario, I would be frozen in place at the time Juliette crossed paths but the plan would't fall apart. She was only about 4 steps away from us now, and I gave it my all. . .

And just like that, when I was just about to to submit to her . . The goddess was gone. Instant relief flooded over me as she decided to leave me be. I had beaten her. With my body mine again, I took a deep breath, clutched my sword, and prepared to spring the attack, maybe setting off the most important battle of our lives. I looked across the alley, just to confirm that Peter and Julius were ready. Peter nodded and Julius-

What on earth was Julius doing?!

I watched him stand and look directly at me, his eyes glowing green. Before I could even process that, Julius walked rigid, and unnaturally from his hiding spot and out beyond the cover of the buildings into the middle of the street, directly into Juliette's path. He gave me one last look before he turned and faced the behemoth before him as a shadow befell him.

It all happened so slow.

First Peter's eyes got wide as he realized what was about to happen.

A giant footstep somewhere beyond my line of sight.

Peter yelled out for Julius. He ran for him in a bolt of speed.

And the final footstep.

Just like that. . . . In the blink of an eye. . . Julius was gone.

Juliette's sandal pushed into the street, sinking a good foot and a half into it. Peter was repelled backward by the pressure wave. The sound of a human life getting effortlessly snuffed out was the last thing I remembered before blacking out.
Chapter 20 by Stevie
Author's Notes:

Hope the formatting is at least as good as it ever was.  My usual writing app failed me and that is what took so long to drop this long chapter. 

Juliette walked cautiously down what appeared to be the main street of the city. It was one of the only ones that she could fit down without shuffling her feet as well, but it had all the makings of a trap.
Her main disadvantage was her height in this case. It was impossible to see people hiding at ground level under rooftops and awnings. Her sword was drawn, ready to strike or defend in a heartbeat, but she wasn't entirely sure anyone was actually there.


The last city had been completely abandoned, although it was left perfectly intact. To anyone who found the remains of the town she had massacred a few weeks earlier, it would have been painfully obvious why nobody was there. Here though. . . It was unclear.
Juliette had seen a man on a horse pass her at the last city as she searched and cleared it, but it wasn't her mission to chase every human she came across. She knew he came this way, but there was no evidence of him here now. There was evidence of someone else though.
For a brief moment, she felt a little tingle on her soul. It was the presence of a god or goddess she wasn't familiar with. A second later, a human man stepped out of the alley and just stood in her path. She looked him over as she walked and saw that while he had a sword, it wasn't drawn. Other than that, the fact that the man wasn't Antony meant that he was of no concern to her and so she continued on.


Two steps later, there was the unremarkable sound of flesh and bone being compacted into the street and that was the end of it. She never found out what he was doing there or why he had come. It didnt matter. She was on a mission.


Juliette had barely stepped off of the flattened remains of the man, when suddenly the silence was shattered by an attack ripping through the building to her right. She spun on her heel and had to put all of her strength into the swing of her sword to deflect the attack. The energy shot to the right, clipping a nearby building.
To block that attack, Juliette had to leave an opening in her defense, and an unseen slayer took advantage. A horizontal red slash shot from a rooftop, aimed at her chest.


Juliette didn't miss a beat, dropping into the splits as the slash passed just over her head.
Immediately after dodging that, another strike from the building right in front of her burst out, aiming at her face. Her only option was to lay flat on her back, crushing 2 buildings in the process. Even though she was on the defensive, her mind was always working though and she raised her right foot up, smashing it down on what remained of the building where the last attack had just come from.


It exploded in a cloud of dust and brick, so she couldn't be sure if she had crushed the slayer, but it gave her the time she needed to scramble back to her feet and get some distance between them. Juliette utterly hated fighting in human cities with their visibility limitations. The enemy could be anywhere and attack her at the last second.


Again she moved cautiously, only this time she didn't try to avoid any buildings. They didn't offer enough resistance to trip her up, and the flatter the city was, the more even the playing field. She scanned the buildings and out of the corner of her eye she saw movement within the reach of her sword. Without hesitation, she swung it down, obliterating the entire building, but again no confirmation of hitting her target.


Cautiously, Juliette crept up on the ruins of the building and peered inside the crater her sword had made. . .


There was nothing directly in it, but there was man laying several yards away in the street. He looked dazed and was having trouble getting to his feet. Juliette had to double take. . .


It was the leader from that city Haliday . . . . Only. . . He had a sword on him now. . . And the fact that he was still breathing and fairly unscathed meant that he was no human. . . .


He lied to her.


They all had.


As angry as this made her. . . She had other things to worry about at the moment. She would visit that city again later.
Juliette walked over to the man, and was about to snatch him up, when another attack blistered down the street towards her. It was a towering blue beam, and unlike before, Juliette had seen who the attacker was.
Antony.


This time she had plenty of warning though, and she swung her own sword to meet it full strength. A massive explosion of energy and debris bellowed out, clouding over everything in dust.


Juliette stood at the ready, expecting a sneak attack to come out of the chaos, but when it cleared, she was the only one in the street. The man at her feet had made his escape and Antony was gone too.


Even though he was gone, it gave her new energy to know that her hunch was right. To know that he had been the one behind Anastasia's death. Here and now, she was going to make him pay. . .


She began to walk down the rubble filled street, easily crushing the bricks to powder as she stepped on them. She made it to where the attack came from, judging by the gouge in the street that Antony's attacks seemed to make. She looked around, but there was no sign of him now.
Everything was still now.


For the briefest of moments, Juliette was able to appreciate how calm and serene the human realm had the potential to be. She closed her eyes and took a breath. Tuned her senses. It was then that she could hear the movement. . .


Juliette opened her eyes, and lifted her sword high above her head. She locked on to the building she had felt the presence, and was just about to obliterate it, when another attack beamed towards her. This wasn't the usually tall and narrow strikes that she had become accustomed to.

No. . . This was a pin point in comparison. . . And aimed straight for her forehead.
Again she was able to dodge, but just barely and the attack chopped off one of her braids in the process. The slayer whose attack it was ducked behind a wall, but he wasn't fast enough to avoid being seen. In the blink of an eye, the building was in pieces beneath her blade and she followed up with a downward stab, her blade crashing down through the roof of her original target.
Cautiously, Juliette sifted through the debris with her foot, bought ultimately she found nothing. Walking around the corner, she came up empty as well. . .
She was trying to stay calm and think her actions through, but she was beginning to lose patience. It seemed that all these tiny cowards wanted to do was play games.
Juliette continued up the street, only this time, she crushed every building she passed, giving her enemies less and less places to hide. A couple minutes later, the entire street was flattened.


The slayers must have realized what she was doing, because as she began down the next street, one was waiting for her, out in the open. Just standing in the middle of the road. He was noticeably taller than Antony and the others she had seen, and that seemed to line up with the report the human man had given them.


This man had been in direct contact with Anastasia either at the time of her death. . .


Wasting no time, Juliette raised her sword above her head, and smashed it down harder than she felt necessary,hoping to disintegrate the man, but she felt the familiar clang of sword on sword.


She looked down her blade to see the man, blocking it with his own sword. Juliette's eyes got wide. She had crumpled countless giant men with that attack and yet. . . . This slayer had blocked it like it was nothing.
But it wasn't only this that unsettled her.
The man. . . . He was grinning!


He seemed to be enjoying himself.
With a quick push of his sword, Juliette's blade was repelled back toward her. She barely managed to keep it under control, taking a step back and that was when the man struck. He sprinted at the wall of a nearby building and ran up and along it.


He gained altitude as he closed the gap between them, and attacked with a plain old physical attack. Although she blocked it with ease, being off balance already caused her to be shoved back. Dropping to the ground, he immediately launched another attack, this time a prayer.
The jagged horizontal slash rose up from the ground with a scream.


Juliette made a last second decision to withstand it, bracing her shoulder against her sword. The brutal attack smashed into her, forcing her back even though she had planted her feet.


This man's strength was ridiculous.
Before she could recover, he attacked again and again. Juliette was forced to change stances, giving up on straight up absorbing the blows and resorting to swinging to match the strikes but even that seemed to be a losing battle as she was still driven back.


It wasn't that his attacks were hard to defend skill-wise, it was the brutal strength behind them. Something had to give and she knew she couldn't continue to go toe to toe with him on brute force alone. She had to find an opening, but the trouble with fighting prayers were that her direct actions had no effect on the slayer.


As Juliette fought to deflect him, her heel touched something. She quickly glanced back to see that she had been backed up against the outer wall. The slayer continued to advance. She knew it was now or never.
She waited until the next vertical strike, side stepping, and countering with a thrust. Although the man blocked, Juliette noticed that he gave up ground this time, his feet sliding as he held her back. Deciding to follow up, she thrust again and again, gaining ground with every attack. The man must have been exhausting his strength trying push his attack. . .


Putting all of her strength into a final thrust, an opening was earned as she shoved the slayer off balance and to his back on the street. Juliette glared down at him, the tip of her sword poised to end him but what she saw, surprised and infuriated her.
The man still wore his wide grin! Even as she had him bested, ready to deliver the killing blow.
With sword in hand, the man tried scuttling backward to create some distance, but Juliette kept her blade trained on him, taking the one necessary step it took to keep him in check.


"You're beat slayer! Lay down your sword and surrender!" Juliette said, with royal authority in her voice. "If you cooperate, I assure you, your crimes against the crown will be absolved and your death quick and painless!"


"What a. . . Generous offer, YOUR HIGHNESS!" The man replied, sarcastically, as he continued to scramble back. "But I don't think you realize just how deep in over your head you really are, little girl!" He finished, chuckling.


Juliette's face turned instantly red at the man's disrespect. There weren't many things in the world one could say to her to make her upset, but regarding her as a child along with the accompanying condescension was the most surefire way to accomplish it.


She let out a scream of rage before raising her sword, tip down and plunging it down on the man. She could tell by the feel that he had blocked again, but still the energy had been transferred, smashing the street beneath him and leaving him in a sizable crater. Though she would have liked to have finished him off, she knew one or two more blows and he would be at her mercy. . .


She went to strike again, but found that she couldn't withdraw her sword. She gave it a tug but she couldn't budge it. The man with the grin had dropped his sword, and was now clutching her blade with his bare hands. This must have been the same antic he had used on Anastasia, and if so, Juliette had already decided how she would handle such a tactic.


Juliette pulled slightly, giving the illusion of trying to recover her blade, and when she was sure that the man was fully committed to holding on, she made her move.
Quicker than lighting, her foot shot out, and connected with the slayer. Juliette kicked him as hard as she could and the man blasted through every building he contacted, until he collided with the wall, shoving it out and back in a pile of rubble and dust. Cautiously, Juliette walked towards where the slayer had smashed through the buildings.


To her surprise, no one else tried to attack her and she successfully found the man laying partially covered in rubble but otherwise unscathed. He was just climbing out of the pile of brick and dirt when Juliette appeared above him. She took the opportunity before he could react and raised her foot.
She stomped down with what she knew was more than enough force to crush any slayer she had ever fought, burying him beneath her sole but just to be sure, she twisted her foot back and forth before stepping off of him. . .


Expecting to see a dusty, crumpled corpse, her jaw dropped when she saw that not only was the slayer still alive, but he was still conscious even. His body looked worse for wear and a bit flattened but no bones appeared broken. Juliette couldn't believe this man. . . .


Ever since Juliette had crested around 120-125 feet tall, she had been able to crush a fresh slayer with one step (a feat that her older sisters had always bragged about) but here was this man, already well passed fresh, and although it didn't appear he could move, he was still alive. . . .


And that wasn't the most incredible thing about him.
This slayer. . . . Was laughing at her!


Juliette was unsure if this was intentional, or if he had gone mad and this was just some coping mechanism of his body and brain having been crushed well beyond what should have been his breaking point. Either way, she was infinitely intrigued, as this might be actually be the strongest or at least the most resilient slayer on earth. If this had been strictly a one on one battle, she would have loved to have a conversation with him and hear his tales.


Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, and she knew out there somewhere, somebody was ready to attack her, so she just lifted her foot and prepared to finish him off, but that is when the inevitable happened.


Juliette reacted just in time, but a light pink, nearly invisible slash cut through the air just where her ankle was supposed to be if she hadn't held back. She had no choice but to step off to the side to avoid having her foot cut off, and she looked in the direction of the attack to see a woman standing on the wall next to the smashed section.


She had a vibe about her. . .

Juliette couldn't explain it. She wasn't sure why but her desire to kill this particular slayer was through the roof. The woman only stared at her with a cocky smirk.


"As much as I'm sure that Malakai here would love to continue to fight. . . . I'm afraid I must insist on you not doing that again!" The woman said, with a raspy voice.


"Malakai" Juliette thought to herself.


"And who might you be?" Juliette asked, raising her sword.


"It doesn't matter. . . . You aren't going to leave here alive! I see you found your friends sword as well. . . Tell me. . . Was that hard for you?" The woman rasped.



Immediately Juliette's face turned red, and she gripped her sword tighter. She knew that fighting with her anger would be a mistake, but this woman was spitting on the memory of Anastasia.

Juliette would make her suffer. . .


Not wasting another moment, Juliette attacked with a powerful sideways downward slash. The woman's eyes got wide and her smirk disappeared as she realized that she couldn't block an attack of that magnitude. She jumped and flipped, narrowly avoiding being wiped from existence as the giant sword passed beneath her.


The force of the shockwave from the blade itself leveled an entire city block and the sword itself crushed another half a block but Juliette wasn't finished. She spun on her toes, keeping the moment up and turning the horizontal motion into a vertical overhead swing that smashed into the ground where the woman had landed.
The resulting damage was catastrophic.


The blast from the impact flattened the city for 2 blocks in every direction. The tip of her sword created a massive crater and completely powdered all the cobblestone in the area, not to mention the deep crack leading away from the hole in the direction she had swung. It took around 5 minutes for the dust to settle and she could actually see what she'd done.


Juliette couldn't actually tell if she had hit the slayer or not. The entire area was in ruins but there was no sign of the woman, although Juliette had completely disintegrated slayers before with similar attacks. Seeing nothing, Juliette was just about to turn and walk away, when she heard something to her right.


She looked down, to see the woman emerging from a pile of rubble. She shoved a large chunk of building aside and stood, dusting herself off.


"Huh. . ." She said, looking around at the carnage.


"You've got quite the swing, don't you?" Henrietta commented with her smirk returning.


Juliette didn't reply, just staring at her.


"I think it's my turn!" She said, lifting her sword.


Henrietta charged Juliette, but without any buildings still standing, she couldn't elevate to attack her but still she launched a prayer, her signature thin, light pink slash.


Juliette was unphased. Although it was difficult for her to see the attack in the light, it's thin, weak nature meant that Juliette would be able to block it easily and likely just over-power this slayer. She raised her sword and just let the attack deflect, but her arrogance allowed her to be caught off guard.


Instead of ricochet, the energy bent around her sword and it was too late to dodge. Juliette winced as the attack lashed her shoulder like a whip, drawing blood. Juliette touched her arm and saw that it had a deep gash now. She was a little shocked by it.


Juliette had never seen an attack like this. To the best of her knowledge, prayer attacks were basically just amplified sword strikes that were scaled up to kill giants, but this. . . This was something completely different. .


"What's the matter? You've never been cut before?" The slayer rasped with a grin.


"I'm fine. . . You should really keep your guard up." Juliette replied, calmly.


"Ha! You may be strongest giant I've ever faced, and definitely more agile, but I wouldn't exactly call you fast, darling!" Henrietta laughed, before she bolted forward.


Juliette focused on her movements as she darted back and forth, closing the gap. The slayer lifted her sword, and snapped her wrist downward as she swung another prayer.
The light glinted off the attack as it twirled through the air. Juliette knew it could curve around her sword if she just blocked but it was coming too fast to counter it. Knowing that she would take damage, Juliette stood tough, and blocked the attack anyway. It hit her sword as expected, but the spin made it unpredictable and as a result, her hands, stomach and thighs were all ripped into.


Although it hurt, Juliette saw the opening she was trying to create and she caught the woman with a kick from her left leg. Henrietta tried to block, having no other choice but the difference in strength was insurmountable. She was sent flying the same as Malakai, smashing through buildings, the wall, and finally stopping as she splintered a tree.


Henrietta fell to her knees, coughing up blood. She was still in the fight, but she was beginning to seriously reconsider going toe to toe with this woman. She was cast into the shadow of her opponent as Juliette stepped up to loom over her.


Henrietta craned her neck to look up at her.


"On your feet! As deplorable an individual as you seem to be, you still deserve to die an honourable death. ." Juliette said, pointing the tip of her sword at Henrietta.
Henrietta only chuckled, spitting out more blood.


"Huh. . . You think a little kick is enough to put me down?. . . Think again!" She replied, shakily standing up.


"Fuck you!" She finished, defiantly.


Juliette gritted her teeth as she struggled to keep her composer. She wanted to scream at this disrespectful little scrub, but killing her would have to be satisfying enough. She didn't wait for her to run her mouth anymore and thrust forward.


Too tired to dodge, Henrietta braced herself to block. She immediately felt Juliette's brute strength as she was smashed backward and pinned up against the tree. She strained, pushing back against the massive blade but it was a losing battle as her own sword was pressed into her skin, causing her to bleed and still Juliette was advancing.


Henrietta didn't know if Juliette possessed the strength, but if she did, soon her sword would bent from the pressure or snap all together. Without some type of intervention, she would die here. .


As if on key, a prayer ripped from Juliette's right and she was forced to withdraw.
Again she spun on her toes and her sword deflected the attack up into the sky. Henrietta saw her opportunity and instead of retreat, she threw a slash of her own but with the limited strength she had left, it only reached Juliette's thigh.


The attack hit and wrapped around her thigh, leaving a bloody ring. Juliette cried out in pain and dropped to her knee. It looked as though they finally had the upper hand but Juliette proved to be tougher than Henrietta thought when she braced her shoulder against her sword and blocked another prayer that looked to be Jacob.
Seeing another opening, Henrietta went to strike again, but Juliette saw it coming.


She reached down and grabbed a large chunk of a building and hurled it at Henrietta. The piece exploded into pieces as Henrietta put her fist through it. Purely out of spite, Henrietta reached down and picked up a tiny remain and heaved it at Juliette's forehead. The piece of brick struck home, doing nothing more than just crumbling and leaving a dirt spot on her face.


This woman was honestly working Juliette's last nerve. It was to the point where Juliette would kill her no matter the cost but first she had to deal with these other slayers that were dead set on continuing their offensive.


With a moment of relief she was able to stand and get sight of one slayer about 250 yards to her right. Another. . Ant. . . Was about 500 yards dead ahead. The woman was still about 30 beside her. Juliette knew to work closest to furthest so she turned her sword broad and took a swing the woman.


With the blade on it's side, there was more area to block, and surprisingly the woman wasn't blown away but instead, deflected it over her head and it continued on its way, but again Juliette spun, picking up speed in a multiple turn pirouette before smashing it to the ground in the next closest slayer.


The swords reach on top of Juliette's raw strength meant that all 3 slayers were in the blast range. She was already standing in the wake of her previous attack and when the dust settled, the carnage was spread out half way across the city. At this point, only about a quarter of the buildings on the far side of the city were still standing and only just.


The two male slayers were nowhere to be found. The initial crater was about 20 feet deep and had a radius of about 300 yards. The first male slayer would definitely have been swallowed up by the blast and as such, there was no trace of him. Ant on the other hand, could have escaped if he had reacted quick enough. The problem was, there would be no place for him to hide now. Anyone in the immediate vicinity would have been buried under the rubble.


Everyone except for Henrietta.


She knew she was in trouble now. That last attack had been so violent that even though she had been yards away from the attack, but the brute force had washed over her and everything else just the same. Now she lay, have covered in bricks and cobblestone 60 yards from Juliette. She tried to stand, but her legs refused.


Her heart sank as she felt the tremors signaling Juliette's approach. She struggled again as the giantess appeared in the sunlight above her head but still, her body wouldn't respond.


Juliette only stood, looking down and studying the slayer. Thoughts of just stomping her flat crossed Juliette's mind but she decided this needed to be done right. Not just any death would be suitable to avenge her sister.


"What? Are you just gonna stand there and stare at me?! Just get it over with already!" Henrietta spat at her.


"I'm afraid I can't let you off that easily. Fortunately, I have the perfect way to send you off. . " Juliette replied solemnly, as she jammed the tip of her sword into the ground, freeing up her hands.


"Fuck you!" Henrietta said, angrily.


Juliette said nothing, but knelt down and reached for her. Henrietta struggled widely against her giant fingers, but between their natural strength difference and her exhaustion, Henrietta was easily overpowered as Juliette wrapped her fingers around her head and lifted her from the debris.


Juliette stood up to her full height and looked the woman in the eye. Henrietta punched at her fingers but failed to get her to release her grip. Henrietta looked around desperately for any possible way she could get out of this, but it seemed everyone from the team had been incapacitated. With no obvious options, she stopped struggling and accepted her fate.


Juliette turned away from her, and began sifting through the wreckage where she had found the slayer.


"What the hell are you waitin' for?! I don't have all day!" Henrietta screamed in frustration.


"Your sword. . . . Where is it?" Juliette asked, eerily calm.


"Ha! Like I'd seriously give you my sword!" Henrietta laughed.


"You don't have a choice in the matter. It just seems as though you are in a hurry to die, so the sooner you tell me, the sooner I can send you to the afterlife." Juliette replied politely, as she continued to search through the rubble.


Henrietta was about to respond, when she saw something out of the corner of her eye.
"H. . . How considerate of you! But to tell you the truth, I don't actually know what happened to it. . . Must have lost it in the blast!. . . "


"Well. . . It's necessary for this, so I guess I'll just keep lo-


Juliette was interuppted mid-sentence as she saw what Henrietta had seen. Peter was sprinting toward her, sword drawn, but there was something unexplainable going on. As he ran and jumped, the very earth and stone was heaving and falling to help him gain altitude.


Every time he lept, another pillar would rise, and the one behind him would crumble. Juliette had never seen this ability before, and she could distinctly feel another presence now, besides the two slayers. This being seemed to have a very similar soul signature to a god, albeit less strong.


Juliette was caught completely off-guard, and didn't have time to grab her sword before Peter had reached her. She swiped at him with her free hand, smashing the pillar and narrowly missing him as he jumped to the next one, circling around her.


She made another grab for him but again he dodged, leaping to another pillar. Getting frustrated, Juliette went to pull her sword, but suddenly the ground came to life, and a giant, sharp pointed pillar jutted up in her face, forcing her to retreat. She narrowly avoided it, but from behind her, Peter closed in and took a swing at her as well. With her superior reflexes, Juliette was able to dodge, but it was sloppy as the cuts all over her body began to make the muscles stiff. For the first time, she was aware of herself slowing down.


To make the situation worse, Peter persisted, continuing to come at her. Juliette used her hand to try to defend herself, smashing at the pillars as she stepped around, careful not to give him an angle she couldn't defend. Juliette was also aware that it seemed that the slayer was herding her away from her sword.


Meanwhile, in Juliette's fist, Henrietta was taken along for the ride. Without the strength to escape, she just had to wait until either Juliette dropped her, or she warded off Peter and returned to killing her. Either seemed just as plausible as the two went back and forth but Henrietta couldn't help but notice that Peter was refusing to use any prayers. Seeing as how this was to this point, the biggest challenge of their lives, it didn't make sense to be holding back. . .


Peter continued to press his attack, jumping around as pillar after pillar jutted up with seemingly no limitation to the power of the one controlling it. Somehow the pillars were able to aid Peter as well as make their own attacks. It seemed as though this would go on forever until finally somebody made a mistake. . . As Peter circled around Juliette, he made an attempt to slash her face but with a sudden burst of speed, Juliette reached out and snatched him out of mid air. It seemed the exchange was over, except for the look on Juliette's face.


She winced in pain and that is when Henrietta noticed the tip of Peter's sword poking cleanly out the backside of Juliette's hand. She gritted her teeth against the pain and poured her strength into squeezing the life out of Peter.


Henrietta could hear Peter's body creaking as the biggest giant she had ever seen crushed her comrade as she herself was stuck in a similar predicament. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, she loosened her grip and let Peter's body fall the ground with a heavy thud. To Henrietta's relief, he began to couch as the wind was knocked out of him, but at least he was still alive.


Unfortunately, Juliette immediately went to remedy that. Peter could only look up as Juliette's sandal blocked his view. He closed his eyes as it began its unstoppable decent, but just then he felt the earth beneath him give way and he was engulfed and dragged down just as her foot smashed into the ground where he was laying.


Juliette seemed unphased by the oddity as she returned her attention to the sword currently sticking through the back of her hand. Using the hand currently holding Henrietta, she winced as she pulled the sword out of her hand. There was a brief moment of silence before, without warning, Juliette grasped Peter's sword with her wounded hand and plunged it into Henrietta's chest up to the handle. She watched as Henrietta's eyes got wide and she struggled to speak as blood began to drip from her mouth.

“That is for my sister!” Juliette declared passionately, before tossing the woman's body to the ground. She died on impact.

It was at that time that Juliette noticed the pain in her hand... pain beyond having the equivalent of a 4 inch needle shoved through her palm. She took off her leather gauntlet to examine her hand. The hole where the blade had gone through was bleeding but it was minor. What worried her was the fact that the skin around the wound had begun to discolor and turn purple. The pain was radiating out in burning waves.


Juliette tenderly pulled the gauntlet back on and cautiously grabbed her sword. She pulled it from the ground and was just about to put it away when suddenly an attack came from behind her. Juliette was slow to react, and because of it, while she was able to block the attack she was knocked off her feet and fell onto her back in the ruins of her previous attack.


She quickly recovered but as she stood, she was faced with her attackers. 200 yards in front of her stood 3 men. One was clearly Antony Lockwood. One was the man from the human city, and the last one she didn't recognize. They faced her, swords drawn. She held up her own but for the first time, she could feel it's weight. It pulled her arms down and made her sluggish. Juliette didn’t have time to complain as the slayers made their move.

Antony and the man from the city both began to pray and launched matching blue vertical strikes. As soon as they released them, the 3rd man began to glow with a green light. Before her eyes the prayers began to change. They too began to change. They went from waist height vertical pillars into circular rings of spinning energy. They burned the air as they picked up speed. Juliette gathered her strength to block the attack and it took all she had to hold them back. Unlike normal prayers, these didn’t dissipate with contact and continued to push forward against Juliette's sword, causing sparks to rain down on her. She had to dig her sandals in and still she was moved back. The level of power this magic was generating was beyond anything she had faced so far, but she kept her calm. Knowing that her energy was beginning to fade, Juliette counted to 3 in her head and rolled backward in a reverse summersault. The drop successfully countered the push of the prayers and sent them flying behind her.


Although she had dodged that peril, immediately the slayers were after her again. This time Ant closed the gap and attacked horizontally, his attack again amplified with this mysterious god's magic. With her entire left arm throbbing now and her legs cramping up, she only just managed to deflect it to the side of her, causing her to stumble with the weight of her sword. The other slayer gave her no time to recover and sent his own high speed vertical attack. It gathered speed and height to the point where Juliette opted not to block it at all and just dodged frantically.


It was starting to really sink in. . . She might actually die, here and now. It broke her heart that she wouldn’t be able to avenge Anastasia in full, but she had at least killed the slayer directly responsible. Antony Lockwood and the others would have to wait. . .


Another amplified attack. The jagged green beam fried the air as it slithered low and rose at the last second as though alive. Not having the strength to lift her sword in time, Juliette could only move, but it wasn’t enough and the attack cut deep into her left shoulder. Blood began to flow from the cut, staining her dress and soaking her gauntlet. She let out a cry that echoed through the valley. Clutching her arm, her body aching and the pain from the stab radiating through her chest and out into her other extremities, Juliette knew she had to get out of there if she wanted any hope of survival.


In a moment of inaction, she put her sword back in it's sheathe and drew Anastasia's blade instead. She had made it much lighter than her own to suit the weaker woman, so wielding it while down on strength made sense. With that out of the way, she was faced with the next issue. . . Namely the 3 slayers blocking her escape. With her agility severely limited, she would have to cause a distraction.
Holding Anastasia's sword tip down in her right hand, Juliette took one last deep, ragged breath. By now it was painfully, painfully clear that she had been poisoned as she began to sweat, and her vision went in and out of focus. She said a final prayer to whatever gods might be listening, before she charged ahead.

Chapter 21 by Stevie
Author's Notes:

This chapter is a little deeper look into the world, and explains what happened to Ant when he blacked out.


I opened my eyes to see that I was no longer in the battle.  Juliette was gone.  Peter was gone. . .

Julius. . . . . 


There wasn’t much time to think about that now. . . .
Because where I was now would prove to be a much, much bigger problem. . . .


I had never been here before, but something in my soul told me where I was.  A massive, grand hall with perfectly smooth, polished, blue stone floors.  The walls were lined with thick, white pillars that had torches on them.  The room glowing orange with their flickering light.  Everything was of the finest quality. . . . 


Quality fit for the gods. . . . 


That is when I felt a familiar presence. . . .


I turned slowly and a wave of rage and fear washed over me.
Sitting directly in front of me, no less than 150-200 feet tall . . . Was the goddess of death, Freyja.


Her presence alone was enough to crush a weak spirit, but as a slayer, we were raised not to fear death. . . . At least the act of dying. Truth be told. . . Seeing the physical representation in the form of a massive, dark, imposing being was something else entirely. Yet, here I was, cast in the shadow of her raised sandal as she sat comfortably on her lavish throne with her legs crossed.  I looked up passed her legs and further still passed her black goddess’ gown to her pale, ice cold face.  As beautiful as any woman ever created yet somehow uninviting.  Here she was, very much alive and smirking down on me but she also felt dead as well.  


All things very uncomfortable considering I knew why I was here.  All the hate and anger in the world could not get you to the realm of the gods.  You had to be summoned by them. . . . So here I was, before arguably the most powerful being in existence, after having just refused her advances not 5 minutes ago.  What made me worry even more was her size. . .


But not how big she was. . . No. . . 
But how SMALL she was!


It was said that at their normal size, the gods made giants look like toddlers by comparison.  I didn’t have a measure in feet, but the point is, I would have been more than insignificant to her. . . So the fact that she was presenting herself in a form I was accustomed to, led me to believe she had physical plans for me. .   If not, why not appear to me in my soul or in a vision as she had done before?  None the less, here she was. . . Smirking that infuriating smirk!


“Bring him back!” I roared.  The first words spoken since I arrived.


I drew my sword, holding it with two hands in front of me.
She didn’t move a muscle, just looking at me. . . . Amused by my demands.
The thought of Julius being so heartlessly wiped from the earth as punishment for a spat I had with this goddess fueled my rage and I gathered my strength for a devastating attack.  I lifted my sword and swung it down, looking to cut her, her throne and the entire building in half, but as I swung. . . .

Something went terribly wrong. . . . 


There was no fire. . 


No brimstone. . . 


No anything but the sound of my sword cutting through the air in front of me.  


Her smirk only turned into a wide grin as she gazed down on me with amusement in her eyes.


“Oh. . . Dear Antony!  You couldn’t have honestly thought that would work, could you?” she asked, her voice silky and somewhat quiet for her size. 

 
That was right. . . . I couldn't expect the gods to give me any strength here. . . Attacking one of their own.  No. . . I would have to do this the old fashioned way.   


I charged forward, kicking off the base of her throne and leaping up to her leg.  It worried me that she Ionly laughed as I made my attack.  She took no action to stop me, but I immediately found out why.  As soon as I left the floor, I felt a weight gathering on me.  It seemed to manifest out of nowhere and it got heavier and heavier the higher I got.  It took all my strength just to reach the platform of her armrest and when I finally got there, it was too much.


I could only stand for a moment before the weight forced me to my knees, slumped with my sword at my side. I could hear her laughing above me.


“Tell me, little one. . . Just what. . . Did you hope to accomplish here?” She asked as if she was talking to a small child. 


“Bring Julius back!” I shouted again, struggling to even lift my head to make eye contact. 


“Do you mean your young friend who met an. . . Unfortunate end in the battle for the very existence of the human race?” Because let me tell you Antony, these things tend to happen in the violent little world you live in!  I can't just bring back every soul who meets an unfavorable demise!” She replied, acting coy. 


She just watched me struggle to even move for a moment.


“It's amazing how familiar this feels, isn't it?  You. . . . Helplessly squirming beneath a foe you couldn't hope to beat with your own strength alone!. . . But that's ok. . . It hasn't been the end of the world for you. . . . . Has it, little one?” She asked, lifting my chin with a giant finger.


“Bring. Him. Back!” I demanded once again, through clenched teeth.


“And do you know why that is?” She continued, ignoring me.  “


“Because I'm a fighter!” I answered proudly, straining against the weight.
Again she laughed.


“Hardly!  I think we both know how many times I've had to peel your flattened form from the mud!” She replied, with an arrogant huff.  “But don't get me wrong. . . I don't mind!  Anything I can do for my children. . . I will gratefully and whole heartedly lend my strength to any one who is in need. . . “


I focused my strength, and gritted my teeth as I tried to lift myself from my knees.  She leaned down and just watched me struggle.

  
“Do you. . . Want my help?” She asked, condescension dripping from her voice.


I said nothing and continued to try, but it was too much.  Whatever force she was exerting over me was just too much.  But then. . . Just as it seemed to reach a peak and I thought I would be flattened to my stomach. . . . The pressure was completely gone.


“I'm sorry Antony!  That wasn’t intentional.  It’s just that beings from your realm can't withstand the. . . Gravity. . . Of the gods.  If I was in my true form, even with your high durability you would have been utterly crushed.  That is why we usually only appear to our subjects in dreams or visions.  My apologies.” Freyja explained , politely.


“What is it you want?” I asked, climbing to my feet.”


“You're here. . . Because we need to have a conversation about your servitude to me!” She replied, sternly.


I unintentionally chuckled.


“There is nothing to talk about! I pray when I NEED you, and that's the end of it, considering  we were created to fix your mistakes!” I spat, rudely.
There was a not so subtle hint of irritation or anger on her face as she heard me.  


“That also means. . . That you were created solely to do our bidding, doesn't it?” she growled. “Do not. . .forget your place.  The Urahknahkai were created to be nothing more than servants to the gods!  We even heavily considered not your kind free will at all.” She continued, spitefully.


Urahknahkai. . . . The original name given to slayers when they were first created.  A name that had been long forgotten and replaced.  For good reason.  It harkens back to a time when we were but slaves to the gods. . . Dark times when death, and destruction to everyone and everything was a daily occurrence.  


“Just another mistake in a long line, I suppose!” I commented without thinking. 

I had been purposely trying to get under her skin, but this one wasn’t intentional.  None the less, it was one comment too many.
All of a sudden, an invisible force pulled my sword from my hand and hovered it in front of me. I looked up to see that she was scowling now and before I could say anything, the blade spun and plunged through my throat.  I only stood in shock as I choked and struggled to breath, pulling frantically at my sword, but I didn’t possess the strength.  It was then that I felt it. . . . 
Freyja’s influence. . .


She. . . She was healing me at exactly the same pace as my wound was killing me, keeping me trapped in this excruciating pain.


“Tell me, Antony. . .” She began intimately, as she watched me die.  “Why is it that you view me as an enemy? . . . . I truly do not understand!  I have done nothing but save your life.  Heal your wounds. . . Help you protect the ones you love. . . . And still you distrust me. . “ She finished, disappointment apparent.  


“I'm curious. . . Let's see how you fair. . . .” She started, reaching for me and placing her thumb on the  handle of my sword and her pointer finger on the tip.  “Without me. .” She finished, before squeezing and bending my God given blade like a cheap, big city replica in a U around my neck.  A moment later, her magic left me and immediately I began to fade.  


I really never thought my life would be ended by the goddess of death herself. . . It was. . . Significant somehow.  Like the most powerful force in existence have some type of shit about me.  Then, just like that. . . I was gone.  


Or at least I should have been.  


I did feel the finality of death. . . . An overwhelming, cold, hollow swell.  But, just as suddenly as it took me and my soul was prepared to travel to whatever comes. . . I was brought back!


I gasped as I was brought back from the void.  Looking around, I discovered that I was still in the goddess’ chamber.  This time, I was on the opposite arm of her throne. . . .

While this whole thing was incredible. . . What really shook me was. . . I looked over and saw myself. . . My body. . . . With MY sword still twisted around my neck. . . . Lying dead on her other armrest.  Examining myself, I realized that I was back in perfect health and I also noticed that Freyja’s expression still looked displeased.  


Normally, I would have stood my ground, and continued to fight, but after actually experiencing death. . . .Seeing myself dead. . . .  Something within myself changed. . . . I. . . Truly did not want anything more to do with her.  Humbly I threw myself on my hands and knees before her. I knew this is what she wa-


My heart stopped as her hand reached down for me.  She. . . She was just going to kill me anyway!  I jumped to my feet and caught her fingers in my hands.  I pushed back against her but it was useless.  Her strength was far, far beyond the limits of a normal giant.  I was effortlessly shoved backward and off the edge of the armrest.  I clung to her fingers as she lifted her hand and let me dangle in front of her face.  Knowing I was in trouble, I let go of her fingers but her other hand was waiting for me and I was instantly trapped in her fist.  


I strained my hardest, but still her fingers closed in on me.  Gurgled groans and cries escaped me as she squeezed the life from me.  My bones creaked and crunched and the pressure behind my eyes built up.  My vision went red as blood was forced into parts of me it wasn’t meant to be. My lungs refused to expand and I began to suffocate as well as being completely crushed.. . . . Then. . . 


Just like that. . . I was out of her fist.  My body wasn’t crumpled and I could breathe again. . . . But. . .directly in front of me, was my body. . . . Was it MY body?  It definitely looked like me. . . Other than the thick gravy of blood and other bodily fluids oozing from his every orifice as Freyja overpowered him.  A moment later, she let my corpse slide wetly from her hand to lie next to my original body.  


This time, I didn’t try to appease her.  This time I ran.  I turned and bolted for the edge of the armrest.  It seemed like I might be able to put some distance between us, but before I even got the floor, a shadow was cast over me.  A split second later, my upper body was snagged in her hand.  I squirmed and wiggled like my 3rd life depended on it, and actually managed to break free of her grip for a moment.  A short lived moment.  


Freyja adjusted her grip and caught me again, this time by the leg.  I swung upside down as she heaved me back up from floor level.  Knowing another gruesome death was impending, I decided to use the last weapon I had on me.  Leaning up, I found the 6 inch dagger I kept along my free leg.  With no hesitation, I plunged it into her finger with everything I had.


In the real world, that would have been enough to make anyone drop me, but here and now. . . . The goddess didn’t react at all.  Glaring at me, she simply plucked the knife from my hands and promptly reinserted it through my thigh.  The one trapped in her grasp.  It was nowhere near enough to kill me, but still my screams echoed off the chamber walls.  They seemed to bring her pleasure as her scowl turned ever so slightly into a faint smile.  From there, without warning she extended her arm so that I was dangling over the floor again, and released my leg.


The drop should have been nothing, but with the dagger in my leg, I couldn't control my landing and crumbled to the floor at her feet.  Immediately I pulled at the blade, but it wouldn't budge.  It had to be her influence. Sadly, the knife was the least of my worries as the foot that had been planted on the floor suddenly rose and hovered over me ominously.  As it began to lower on to me, I abandoned pulling the dagger from my leg and began trying to crawl away.  This act of desperation must have amused her, because she spoke with a light chuckle for the first time since torturing me.
“look at you!  Crawling through the dust on your belly like a pathetic little worm.  I think. . . Now would be the appropriate time to discuss our. . . . Relationship. . . Moving forward. . . Wouldn’t you say?” She asked, using a false, cordial tone.  The type of tone that I might have killed a man for mocking me with, in my younger years.  


I continued to crawl, in spite of her insults when suddenly, pain shot through my legs.  I looked back to see a giant, delicate leather sandal where my legs used to be. It stopped me dead in my tracks as my arms couldn’t get traction on the smooth marble floor.  She applied more force, and earned more of those delicious screams she loved so much, accompanied by the sound of bones first creaking, then popping. Then, just when I thought she might crush them completely, she eased up a bit, if not just to stop my screams.


“In sticking with the idea of “free will”, I’m giving you a few options to choose from, Antony.”


“How very generous!” I thought, in the deepest depths of my mind, in hopes that she wouldn’t somehow hear me inside my mind.  


“Option A. . . And I do think this is the best option for everyone, although I truthfully don't care which you choose.  But option A: You fully submit to me.  Meaning your soul belongs to me now.  I will allow you to go back to your realm, live your life, and being the merciful goddess I am, I will even give you your friend Julius back, alive and unharmed.  The only difference from our current agreement, is that when I ask for it, you let me in. . . With no hesitation!” She said, applying more pressure to my legs as she said that.  “And when I say in. . . I MEAN IN!  No reservations, no holding anything back from me.  I stay for as long as I like.” She finished, letting up on me a little bit.


The thought of her taking over my body indefinitely was unthinkable.  My family could already tell something was wrong with me. . . True, I had no idea how they would react to the situation she was describing, but I knew for sure that Jacob and Abby would likely turn their backs on me.  The other slayers knew of the temptation of using the death goddess’ power.  They had seen the strength she had to offer, and I had saved our lives more than a few times with it.  The thing was, we accepted each other even with our inherent flaws.  Simply put. . . We just happened to be a rag tag assembly of the toughest bastards in the human realm.  How that strength was acquired really was of no consequence.  I think they understand.  That being said, I really didn't know what the goddess was fully capable of.  


“I can see it in your eyes. . . . You’re trying to come up with a way to get out of this.  Well. . . There isn’t one, I assure you.  If you even THINK about defying me well. . . . There is no guarantee that more of your loved ones don't decide to step out in front of your enemies so carelessly!  Hmm. . . . You never know. . . . You might just wake up one day and decide that you yourself have the insatiable desire to kill every last one of them. . . .”  Freyja finished, finally lifting her foot of my legs and placing it beside me so she could see me clearly.  


I took the opportunity to stand, shakily.  Beyond the pain in my legs, nothing else felt right either.  My balance felt off and my vision struggled to focus.  I was really in no condition to even stand, let alone fight her anymore.  This seemed to please her.


“ Right now, you're feeling the effects of having died twice.  The soul isn’t designed to be brought back from the afterlife.  Granted. . .Most never get the chance.  Which brings me to option 2.  The option where you choose to continue fighting me here and now.  As unwise as that would be for you, the fact that you’re standing now, instead of groveling at my feet means that it isn't completely out of the question, is it? “ She questioned, looking down on me like I was garbage, just daring me to say a word.


I just swayed back and forth, neither challenging her, nor kneeling.  Truth be told, my mind was too fuzzy to really decide one way or another.


“If you so choose to fight,  then you’ll stay forever trapped here with me and we'll continue to play one million ways to die for the next one thousand years!” She threatened, and I noticed her crossed leg was once again dangling over my head.  “You're body on earth will eventually just die without it's soul and that will be the end of that!” She finished, dusting her hands like she had finished some satisfying job.


“th. . . There is no need for that!” I stammered.   “I yield.” 
With that, I got down on my knees and bowed before the feet of the all powerful goddess. 


“Good.” She seemed to spit at me.


I heard motion above me, but I didn't dare lift my height.  I jumped as something touched my back and covered me in shadow.  The familiar smell of leather washed over me and I knew it was the sole of her sandal.  It pressed down, first pushing my stomach into my knees.  It continued down, and out of instinct I pushed back, but again it did nothing.  


She was going to crush me again. . . . Just for fun.


My body released all kinds of uncontrolled grunts and noises as the air was squeezed out of me and I closed my eyes and just accepted my fate.  The pain rose and rose until finally I died again.


Or so I thought.


With a gasp, I opened my eyes and found that I was back in the human realm .  Looking around in a panic, I realized that A: Juliette was nowhere to be seen.  I wasn’t even in the city anymore.  Instead, I was wrapped in a heavy bear skin blanket and was laying in a row of makeshift beds in front of a large campfire.  I recognized the outline of Cassius tending to one of the other people in the beds and that was when I remembered.
Julius! 


I tore off the covers and was about to stand when I felt it. . .


The death goddess.


My soul burned as she demanded access to my body.  I. . . . I had only been back for two seconds!  But. . . I had no choice.  


Closing my eyes, I let her in.


I felt her enter me, and along with her, the incredible increase in strength.  My body, which had been somehow bruised and cut up, healed itself immediately.  From outside of my body, I watched her stand and look over the camp.  The movement caught Cassius’ attention and he looked to my body.


“Ant!  You’re finally awake!” He exclaimed, as he approached me.


I watched Freyja reach slowly for my sword. . . And thoughts of Julius flashed in my mind.  I held my breath as the death goddess tormented me, knowing I shouldn’t step in, but it seemed that slaughtering everyone around me was her idea of a good time. 

I had to do something.


But then . . . Just as I was going to fight her influence. . She was gone, just as suddenly as she had come. . .


It was. . . Just a test. 

Chapter 22 by Stevie

 

Juliette slowly opened her eyes, moaning in pain as she tried to move.

 

 

“Keep still, Juliette. . “ came a familiar voice.

 

 

She looked up to see Leonara's face illuminated by the glow of a campfire.  A confused look came to her face but she didn’t speak.

 

 

“I know you’re wondering what I'm doing here. . . Well I'm saving your life.” Leonara said, as she gently dabbed her sister's forehead with a damp cloth.  “I knew I shouldn't have let you face them alone, but I also wanted to see you grow up and handle things on your own.” 

 

 

“what. . . What happened?” Juliette asked, weakly.

 

 

“Those little cowards!” Leonara snarled, clutching the cloth tightly in her fist.  “You were poisoned, Juliette!  You were poisoned, and they cut you up and destroyed your clothes! I found you laying passed out, half drowned, after trying to cross this lake!” She fumed.

 

 

“I. . . I can barely move my  body. . . “ was all Juliette replied.

 

 

“That poison did a number on you. . . You're lucky to be alive.   I had to pray to the gods for the power to heal you.  It isn't in your blood anymore, but you are still feeling the effects it had on you.  Not to mention your battle wounds. . . . I'm so disgusted with myself for letting this happen to you, sister.” Leo said, gently stroking Juliette's hair.

 

 

Juliette only moaned in response.

 

 

“First thing tomorrow, you're going home.” Leonara informed her, before standing up turning to tend to the fire and turn some meat she was cooking.

 

 

“I'm. . . Not done here. . . An. . . . Ant. . . “  Juliette mumbled.

 

 

“Yes you are! This is not a debate.” Leonara snapped.  “This childish spat you have going on is over!  Those slayers. . . . No. . . The entire human realm!. . . Is dealing with ME now.”

 

 

Juliette knew what that meant for the humans.  While Leonara was truly compassionate and caring for her loved ones and the kingdom's people, she had another side.  A cruel, sadistic side.  And the crime of nearly killing her sister was an unforgivable one.  She would make them pay dearly.

 

 

“Do you have the strength to tell me exactly what happened?” Leo asked after a while of sitting in silence just nursing her sister.

 

 

“It felt. . . . Like the gods themselves were fighting me.” was all Juliette said, quietly.

 

 

Leonara's visible eye got wide.

 

 

“Did the earth move on it's own?!  Was there an older looking human man?” She asked, trying to shake Juliette more awake.  

 

 

She nodded.

 

 

“He controlled the elements. . . But he also controlled the slayer’s prayers.”  She explained, groaning as she rolled and turned away from her sister. 

 

 

Leonara just stared blankly in disbelief.  She had felt that the man had to be something like a god, but she had no idea that he would be able to interact with slayers in any way.  

 

 

“Juliette. . . . I. . . I killed that man. . . . I made sure of it. . . Unless. . . . There is more than one. . . That is the only way!. . . I. . I even burned the body!” Leonara stammered, half apologizing to her sister.  

 

 

Juliette didn’t respond, trying to get back to sleep.

 

 

“Is it possible that he can make illusions of living things?” Leo asked, more to herself than to her sister. 

 

 

This was more serious than she thought.  It would seem that she would have to thoroughly plan her encounter with these slayers.  Just finding them where ever they were would not cut it this time.  

 

 

Leonara was deep in thought, visualizing every pre-battle detail, when suddenly she heard a noise from the darkness outside the fire.  She just stared into the darkness in the direction she had heard the sound.

 

 

After about 10 minutes of just listening, she decided it was just an animal and that was when it happened.

 

 

Out of the darkness, she heard a whistle and through the firelight she barely managed to see a projectile flying through the air towards Juliette's head.   In the blink of an eye, Leo jumped into action, reaching out and snatching it from the air.  In the same motion, she spun on her toes, increasing her force as she hurled the projectile [which seemed to be a tree that had been carved into a point] back in the exact trajectory it had come.

 

 

A moment later, she heard the expected gasp of the assassin as he was impaled by his own weapon . . . Or so she thought.

 

 

To her disbelief, the groan and gasped morphed into a deep, deep laugh! Whoever was out in the darkness was just messing with her. Never one to fight with her heart instead of her head, Leonara calmly drew her sword, placing herself between the darkness and her sister. 

 

 

Thinking ahead, she had placed anti-slayer prayers surrounding a wide perimeter outside the camp.  Whoever had attacked her was well within the boundaries which would explain why they had used a tree instead of a prayer to try to assassinate Juliette.  Leonara knew she didn’t have the full advantage though, as the darkness was working against her.

 

 

Instantly she came up with a plan.

 

 

She grabbed the oil lamp she had burning above Juliette's makeshift bed, and smashed it into the fire.  The flames flared as the fire grew, illuminating twice as much area as before.  In the moment it took her eyes to adjust, another tree came whizzing from the darkness but again she caught and threw it back.

 

 

Whether they knew it or not, it was helping Leonara pinpoint their location.  They were closer now than they had been.  She took a deep breath, slowing her heart rate as she just listened. 

 

 

No sounds.

 

 

No movements.

 

 

Leonara stayed this way until the sun came up the next morning.  There was never any other attack on her sister.  In the light, she could see where both stakes had landed on the ground.  Both had deflection marks where they had been blocked.  She also saw footsteps leading to and away from her camp.  

 

 

Leo wanted to follow them immediately, but she had a responsibility to wait until the guards came from the capital to escort Juliette back home. Finally they did show up, late in the afternoon.  

 

 

After sending her sister off, with a very real threat of what would befall the guards should anything happen to Juliette, Leonara was finally able to follow the tracks.  What she found odd, was that there was a trail of blood, along with the footprints, which turned to horse tracks.  Leo could also tell that this person was far larger than a normal human or even an average sized slayer.  She stalked slowly along, her mind and body tired from being awake for the past 36 hours.  True, she could have asked the guards to stay while she napped, but Juliette needed more help than she could provide in the middle of nowhere.

 

 

Walking through the trees, she was simultaneously following the slayers prints, as well as Juliette's.  Her sisters were sloppy and wild, and a trail of her own blood was present as well.  The further Leo went, the smoother Juliette's tracks became, first reverting to her normal paced walk, then as she kept going, Juliette must have been running as fast as she could.

 

 

Finally, after 3 hours of walking, Leonara crested a hill and saw what she was searching for.  But it was. . . Not what she was expecting at all.

 

 

She knew how Juliette fought, and her capacity for destruction, but this was above and beyond her normal chaos.  

 

 

Walking down the hill, the first thing she saw was the wall around the city.  It was 100% smashed the whole way around.  Leo stepped quietly over the rubble and into the perimeter of what used to be the city.  Now. . .. nothing stood.  No buildings anyway.

 

 

What she did she a few blocks away, where earth pillars still standing.   She began heading that way when suddenly she noticed a group of humans, who appeared to be looting the remains of the city. The group was all men, and they froze when they saw her, but they didn’t seem afraid.

 

 

A man with long, black shaggy hair stepped out in front of the group. He folded his armed and just gazed up at her as if she wasn’t many many times his size.

 

 

“Leave whore!” The man said to her, his confidence brimming.  “This town and everything in it belongs to us now!  My friend here is a giant slayer, and if you don't want your head on a pike, I suggest you get lost!” 

 

 

Leonara's gaze turned to the slayer in question.  He was certainly taller than the others.  7 feet by the look of him, but Leo knew humans on rare occasions could grow to be that height.  He did have a sword, but only closer inspection would determine if it was a slayers blade.  His face also didn’t seem to betray any dishonesty on the black haired man's part.

 

 

“Did you not hear me!?  I said be gone!” The man shouted at her.

 

 

Her fists clenched at her sides and she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.  Visions of decimating these annoying little worms played in her head, but she was much too tired to chase them, let alone think clearly if this slayer would prove to be formidable.

 

 

Leonara opened her eyes and looked the men over.  The leader had a look of irritation and disbelief that she wasn’t listening to him.  His intimidation tactics must have worked on some giant before to warrant this behavior.

 

 

To his left, another human man. He appeared incredibly uneasy with her presence.  Almost as if he recognized her from somewhere.  He kept glancing around as if looking for a way out of the situation.

 

 

To the left of him, another oblivious looking human.  He also seemed to have enough faith in the slayers ability that there was no need to fear her.  Or perhaps her or her sister's reputations hadn’t spread this far into the human realm yet.

 

 

. . . . Although Leo didn’t really tend to leave anyone alive to tell her tales.

 

 

Regardless, here these men were.  The only thing she knew for sure was that she was too tired to deal with it.

 

 

So she walked away.

 

 

Or rather. . . She walked through them.

 

 

Her sudden movement made the humans jump, and while it wasn’t really intentional, her first step was aimed directly at the slayer.  The black haired leader dove out of the way as Leo's boot came close, and collided with the slayer.  As she had come to expect, he put his hands up to try and stop her, but it was useless.

 

 

Leonara felt a minor resistance, before her boot pushed him off his feet and continued down to the ground, where the loud, crisp sound of bones let his allies know that he was gone as Leo's unfathomable weight embedded him into the street.

 

 

The oh so familiar look of sheer terror was on the leaders face now as he just curled up and began to shake as the giantess stepped over him.  The next unfortunate soul was the man on the far left of the row.  The one who hadn't shown any fear.  

 

 

Well. . . Fear was present now, but so much so that he foolishly turned and ran straight down the street Leo was travelling.  She honestly didn’t plan it, but her right foot just happened to fall right where he was currently running.  It knocked into his back, shoving him down, before overtaking him.  

 

 

There was noticeably less noise from his demise, as slayer bones were many times stronger than a humans.  A juicy squelch could faintly be heard under the usual thunder and shake of a giants step, and that was all.  Leonara continued towards the center of the city as if nothing had happened.

 

 

The leader rushed to the fallen slayer, but the mangled mess in the footprint told him he was gone. The sight brought him to tears and thoughts of vengeance overtook him.  He reached down and pulled his comrade’s sword from the crater.  

 

 

Leo walked on, her mind racing at what she had seen from the top of the hill.  With her size, she reached the city center in only 3 strides and she had trouble believing her eyes.  From the hill, she'd seen a hole. . . Or rather a pit . A massive pit.

 

 

Leo stepped to the edge, which was raised to form a rim about 25 feet high, and carefully peered over.  Her eyes widened.  

 

 

The hole was at least 350 feet deep. . 

 

 

Leonara didn’t know what to make of it.  She had seen the types of craters Juliette made when she was fighting all out. . . But this was nothing like that.  It made sense now how the ridge had formed.  Some of the earth had to be displaced to create this.  

 

 

What was notable about the ridge, was that it appeared like something had flattened out a section.  It was also stained with blood.  It was definitely Juliette.  This was where she must have escaped from the pit.  

 

 

Leo continued to stare. . .

 

 

The amount of power that this mystery man possessed. . . . It seemed off the charts.  To be able to create a pit big enough to swallow Juliette or herself completely, if they weren’t careful.  Although she had seemingly bested him in combat previously. . . How could she ever really be sure he was even dead?

 

 

She. . . She had crushed him. .  Severed his spine. . . . And burned his body. . . And still he showed up here and nearly killed Juliette. . . Not to mention. . . He is working with the slayers now. . .

 

 

It was all too much for her.  Leonara was so deep in thought that she didn’t notice that the leader of the bandits had crept up behind her wielding the slayer’s sword.

 

 

He held it in both hands, sneaking ever closer, before he stabbed the tip into her leg, just above her ankle.  To his utter shock. . . The attack did nothing.  Her leather leggings were too thick for a human to penetrate, even with a slayers blade.  All he managed to do was earn Leonara's stone cold gaze.

 

 

Her look froze him in place, snuffing out any emotion he might have been harbouring in an instant and the blade fell from his hand.  Leonara looked down at her leg, and then back at him.  The man nearly pissed himself as the giantess reached down for him.

 

 

All of a sudden, the other man who had looked fearful before ran from the shadows and got between Leo qqand his boss.  He dropped to his knees with his hands together in the traditional sign of respect in the presence of royalty.

 

 

“Please!. . “ He shouted, not daring to look up and make eye contact. “Please. . . . I beg you to spare his life, your highness!” 

 

 

Leo paused, her open palm waiting to engulf the man.

 

 

“How do you know who I am?” She questioned, withdrawing her hand and folding her arms, intent on hearing what the man had to say.

 

 

“S-Stories of a raven-haired giant, leagues taller than any other giant ever seen. A brutal woman of unmatched beauty and a piercing blue eye. . . . Annihilating city after city. . . L. . Leaving no survivors or resources in her wake!  Rumors that she was the spawn of the late giant king himself!”

 

 

Leonara just huffed and looked away.  She didn’t like the idea of every little human knowing her business. 

 

 

“So. . . . If you are aware of my reputation, why are you still here?  You know that I could kill you without a second thought, don't you?” Leo threatened,  returning her gaze to him.

 

 

“I. . . Don't believe you are evil!. . . You were just avenging your father's death.  Who would blame you?” the man said shakily, as he stood. 

 

 

“You know nothing about me!” Leonara shouted, causing both men to begin trembling. “Move.” She commanded the man, flatly.

 

 

The man held his ground, staying between Leo and his boss.

 

 

“I cannot let you harm him!” He exclaimed, holding his arms out wide.

 

 

“I said. . .MOVE!” She repeated, stomping her foot, causing both of them to nearly topple over.  

 

 

“Your highness!. . . I beg you! He is my brother!  All I have!  He. . . He will not bother you again!  I swear it!” The man shouted, dropping to his knees and clasping his hands.  

 

 

Leonara glared down at him, thoughts of her own reason for being in the city on her mind.  If she had lost Juliette, the lives of every human and slayer on earth would not have been fair enough payment for that crime.   Her heart felt heavy seeing this human ready to die an inevitable death, to protect his family.  

 

 

She sighed.

 

 

“Fine! But if I see you, or your brother again. . . . Both of you are dead!” Leonara threatened, before turning and walking away.

 

 

She left the city, heading back towards the giant realm.  Going and finding the slayers responsible for Juliette's condition right now would be a mistake.  Any group of fighters who could very well kill a healthy Juliette on the right day, were not to be taken lightly.  That was not Leo's way.

 

 

She would research, learn, and plan every detail of her revenge. .

 

 

For now, she would go to talk to. . . 

 

 

Him.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

This is the beginning of the Leonara chapters.  I like writing from different perspectives up until they collide in the story and you have to pick a side.

Chapter 23 pt.1 by Stevie

I sat back down, my heart pounding. . . It had just been some type of fucked up joke, I guess. I didn’t know how much more of that I could handle. I also didn’t know just how far Freyja would go to punish me.

I didn't think that she would kill an innocent man to get even with me either, but I had been wrong before.

That reminds me. . .

Julius. . .

“Julius. . . Is he?” I began, speaking to Cassius.

“He is out collecting firewood. . . What do you need with him?” Cassius asked, tossing a piece of wood in the fire.

I looked around for him, but saw nothing.

“Does he seem. . . ?” I began, quietly.

“Do I seem what?” Julius asked, walking out of the trees with an armfull of wood.

I stood and walked over to him, looking him over carefully. He shied away from me, uncomfortably.

“What do you want, Ant?! Is this some type of stupid joke or something?” he asked, irritated.

“I'm just. . . Glad you are ok. . .” I answered hollowly, turning and walking over to the row of beds.

“Why wouldn’t I be? It’s not like you ever let me help you in battle!” He said spitefully, as he set the wood down by the fire.

“Believe me. . . You don't want anything to do with these battles, Julius.” I replied as I walked down the row.

A wild mass of blonde hair sticking out from under a blanket. .

Henrietta.

A massive lump under a pile of animal skins. .

Malakai.

Next was Peter, his head just clearly in view, although he was sleeping .

Finally on the end, Jacob, then Monte.

Everyone was still alive. . . A relief. But it raised a question. . . What happened to Juliette?

It was a question I needed to know, but fully admitting that I had no recollection of events would probably send up red flags. Not that the two humans before me would be able to tell when I was under the Influence of a God anyway. They didn’t tend to be sensitive to that type of thing.

“You should eat something Ant. It’s been 3 days. I got a us a deer yesterday and the meat has been grilled.” Cassius said, staring into the fire.

Looking out into the dark, I had an uneasy feeling. It didn’t seem like we should just be sitting here so casually. There were still more fights to be fought.

“I think we should pack camp. Move out in the morning.” I said, as I stuffed a piece of meat in my mouth.

“Ant. . . I don't know everything there is to know about slayers but. . . Before you woke up. . None of you guys moved in the last 3 days. You all have broken bones. It’s a miracle Malakai is even still breathing with the amount of blood he's lost. . . “ Cassius said, basically letting me know it wasn’t an option.

“Monte didn’t even seem to have more than some scratches on him, but he has been in some type of sleep as well. Short of an immediate threat, I think it would be wise to stay here and build our strength.”

“We are sitting ducks here!” I said, a little annoyed that he had a point.

“It’s been 3 days Ant. If anyone was going to seek vengeance, it would have happened already.” Julius added to the conversation.

“Where are we?” I asked, taking a drink from a bottle Cassius handed me.

“After we collected all of you from that destroyed city, we continued heading northeast. We rode for a day but had to stop. . . It still doesn’t feel far enough away from that monster of a woman.” Cassius replied, shivering.

Did that mean she survived?

Probably.

While we were some of the strongest slayer in the world, she was also one of the strongest giant warriors in the world. Her size didn’t hurt either but it couldn't be taken away from her that she had skills with a sword. To walk away alive from an encounter with us, was no small feat.

That being said. . . . We were still one short. And the retaliation that was no doubt waiting for us. . . Either by Juliette's sister’s or Zahra's gang. . .

We definitely couldn’t afford to sit around waiting for retribution to come to us.

“I'm leaving. .” I said, flatly as I began to pack my things.

“Are you out of your mind?” Julius demanded, moving to block me. “If Juliette isn’t dead, and she comes back. . . She'll flatten us all, without you!”

“If she appears. . . Wake the others. Malakai will fight to the last, no matter what .” I replied as I stuffed my bed into my leather pack.

“Malakai is in the worst condition! He left after the fight to finish her off and barely made it back! Julius found him unconscious and we had to use horses to drag him back into camp!” Cassius said, getting worked up.

“I know you want to be some loaner or something, but you are the one who gathered all of us here! 2 or 3 more days won’t lose the war!” Julius added.

“. . . I don't think you guys realize how urgent this is. Without help. . . We don't win the next fight. . . “

I continued to pack, and was done in a minute.

“I’ll be back in three days. I’m just going to ride to the next 2 cities and see if I can find our last guy. With him, we will be back at full strength. By the time we get back, the others should be rested and ready to go.” I finished, before unteathering Marcel and jumping on his back.

Both men just glared at me but said nothing. I didn’t stick around to bask in that feeling, kicking Marcel and bolting into the darkness.

When the sun came up, I finally got my bearings but it was still a full days ride to the inhabited city. I was now further east and further north than I had been in a long, long time. The reason was apparent, as the king's men were around in droves. I had to keep my hood up as I walked up to the cities massive gate, leading Marcel .

I looked up, up, up to the top of the wall. It had to be at least 300 feet tall and constructed from massive stone blocks. It was most impressive I had to admit. I had heard rumors of humans somehow forcing giants into slave labor roles, and here was my proof. It was the first time I had ever seen a city so fortified against giant attack.

“It's incredible isn’t it?” a guard said as I approached him in his wooden guards hut just outside the wall.

“Has a giant ever gotten through?” I asked, as I stopped in front of him. Not that I really cared.

“Never. But, truth be told, we have never faced an actual giant attack. We did have the slaves try to breach, but with the height of the wall, a long with the spikes and hot oil. . . The city was untouched.” He informed me proudly.

“Interesting” I replied, and went to walk passed him.

“Hold on, stranger!” he began, putting a hand on my shoulder.

Marcel let out an angry grunt from behind me.

“Easy boy!” I said, patting him on the head. “This man doesn’t want any trouble. . . Do you?” I asked, looking down into his eyes.

“I'm sorry to bother you, but this is a kingdom checkpoint. It means that we have to inspect everyone who comes in to see if they are fugitives from the crown.” The man told me as he grabbed a stack of wanted posters off of a desk inside the hut.

Shit.

The man began thumbing through them, occasionally glancing up at me. As expected, he stopped on a certain poster, looking back and forth a few times. I saw recognition in his eyes, and he was just about to ring a warning bell, when a wagon train emerged from over the hill.

The horses thundered down the road and the guard dropped what he was doing and ran to open the gate. This was the distraction I needed to get into the city.

I waited until the middle of the train, and jumped aboard a wagon. Likewise, Marcel fell in line and galloped at pace as we passed through the gate unnoticed. We followed it along until we were deep enough in, before splitting off from the group.

“What is with that wagon train?” I asked an older woman, who was sweeping the step outside her home.

“It's likely from down south. They have been rolling in every few days for the past few weeks.” She said, not looking up from her broom.

“Who are they?”

With this she stopped sweeping, propping her broom up against the wall. “Have you been living under a rock or something, child?” She demanded angrily.

I shrugged sheepishly.

“They are survivors of another rampage!” She shouted at me.

“Rampage?”

“Yes. . . They say a gang of giantess are going city to city, flattening everything and killing most everyone! Slaughtering the livestock, burning all the crops. Leaving anyone who does survive to starve.” A man who was brushing a horse chimed in.

I knew exactly who he was referring to, but I played the fool in order to gain more information.

“Does anyone know why they are doing it?” I asked, leaning on Marcel casually.

“Yeah! Because some cowardly slayer killed their leader in her sleep!” The woman spat.

“Did you ever notice how slayers are causing all of the problems around here lately?” another man across the street asked.

“I sort of hope that the three daughters wipe them all out!” The man with the horse commented.

I only laughed.

“You think that's funny? The king estimates that more than half of all slayers have been killed so far!” He exclaimed.

“Not funny, no. But do you really think that they will stop at just the slayers? With them gone, humans really wouldn’t put up much of a fight, would they?” I asked, turning to walk away.

The woman fumbled to respond, but I was out of earshot by the time she found her words. Arguing with villagers really wasn’t my thing, but I couldn’t help but take what they said to heart. Ever since the three daughters had shown up, everyone's life had pretty much gone to shit.

I had to wonder if maybe turning myself over to them could change anything. . . Although. . . I wasn’t sure I was prepared to make that type of sacrifice. I could only imagine the punishment that awaits me at this point at the hands of the giant realm. . .

Maybe I had it coming.

I pushed those thoughts out of my head as I moved deeper into the bowels of the city. As I walked down the street, I couldn’t help but notice that the wagon train from earlier had been parked next a camp full of tents.

As I walked by, I saw that every person looked filthy and gaunt. This must be the starvation that they were talking about.

“What the hell are you looking at, slayer?” a man demanded, breaking my trance.

I looked up, and saw a man with a grey goatee glaring at me from one of the bigger tents.

“I'm not a slayer. . You must have the wrong person.” I said, waving him off.

“Yeah right! I recognize you from Ellenworth! You are the slayer who killed Emelia!” He accused, pointing a finger at me.

“I think “thank you” might be the phrase you’re looking for.” I replied as I kept moving.

“Ha! Unfortunately that story doesn't end well for me!”

I paused and looked at him.

“After you left. . . . Another giantess appeared. That. . . Cruel bitch! She wiped Ellenworth off the map like it was nothing! And where were you, huh?!” He shouted at me, garnering attention from some other people in the camp.

“hmm.” Was all I said.

“Of course! Why would I think that you would give a shit about that? “ he asked, spitting in my direction.

“Look, I'm sorry that happened to you. . But I was only there on a mission.” I apologized, half heartedly.

“And that would have been understandable, except for what you did next!”

“Enlighten me. I've been busy lately!. . “ I replied, sarcastically.

This time his face turned beet red.

“After Ellenworth, you challenged a giant woman in another city. You lost, but in the ensuing events, incurred her wrath. She returned later and. . . And. . . Completely decimated the entire city. No survivors.” He explained, angrily.

“I walked into the massacre of my home town, after being held captive in that hell for years!” He screamed at me.

I was quiet for a moment before. . .

“hmm.”

This infuriated him, but I walked away as he erupted in a flurry of insults and curses. The truth was, coming face to face with the repercussions of my actions wasn’t something I was particularly fond of.

Behind me, Marcel began to drag on me.

“And just what's your problem?” I asked, turning to look at him.

He gave me a look I recognized as a guilt trip.

“Don't give me that look! I had no control over the actions of those women. I don't owe him or anyone else anything!” I said, getting in his face and looking him dead in the eyes.

Marcel responded with a massive headbutt that would have crumpled a normal human. I saw stars for a second, before firing back with an 1/8th strength headbutt of my own. Marcel let out a cry of pain and a snort as he began to get angry.

“I'm not going to fight you in the street. We don't have time for this!” I said, poking a finger into his forehead.

He responded by planting his ass on the street and refusing to move. I had to admit, it was a smart move. Marcel knew I possessed the strength to effortlessly lift him, but doing so would expose my identity.

Clever bastard.

“Fine! . . .You can just sit there like an asshole. I really don't care.” I said, shrugging as I turned to walk away.

What Marcel did next was slightly unexpected. As I walked away, he began to run amuck in the street, bucking and knocking over everything in his path. The villagers and people in the camp began to panic as Marcel wrecked the place. Two men got in front of him, trying to grab his reins, but he twisted and kicked them both in the chest with his hind legs. They flew back and crashed through a vendor cart on the opposite side of the street.

“Someone get that Damned horse under control” another man shouted.

I glanced over my shoulder as 7 men surrounded him. Some with rope, others with sticks and pitchforks. Knowing he could handle himself, I rounded the corner, leaving him there.

I thought that would be the end of it. Marcel would either get caught, and put in the stables where I would collect him later, or he would escape and run, where he would find me eventually. It’s how it always worked. . .

Not this time.

A block or two down the way, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to come face to face with 6 kingdom slayers, one of which had Marcel by his reins.

It was strange. . .

This group of kingdom slayers. . . Could this really be a squad?

My surprise came from the fact that 3 out of the 6 of these slayers were mere children! Or as much children as a young slayer could be.

That is to say that the first boy looked to be about 16 in human years. The next boy, who appeared to be his brother was slightly younger, and the girl appeared to be 12 or 13.

It reminded me of the dire situation that the slayer race was in. Outside of the capital, the slayers had been almost entirely wiped out. At the rate that the 3 daughters had been defeating us. . . It wasn’t out of reason to say that we as a whole probably wouldn’t make it to the end of the year.

A women, who looked like she was in her 40s, and appeared to be the leader, spoke to me.

“Excuse me. . . Is this by chance. . Your horse?” She asked, her voice possessing a certain authority about it?

I looked Marcel up and down before I answered.

“No. I have never seen this horse in my life. . “ I said flatly, before turning to walk away.

As one would expect, a second later I felt a firm hand on my shoulder and I was spun forcefully around to face them again. This immediately pissed me off and my hand was unconsciously on the handle of my sword now.

The man who had spun me, a solid built, 7 and a half footer, only had a smirk on his face as he sized me up.

“The thing is, everyone in that refugee camp said that he belonged to you, and that you were with him not 5 minutes ago.” The woman continued, outright calling my bullshit.

“And what would any of them know about me?” I asked, my voice turning serious now.

“Look. . Let's cut to the chase here.” She began. “We know you are Antony Lockwood and you are under arrest for failing to report to the capital under declaration of the king, and conspiracy to start war with the giant realm.”

This definitely wasn't good.

Not that I I couldn't beat this rag tag group of kingdom slayers, but slayers fighting were often just as destructive as a giant was. For a fight to break out here and now would be catastrophic.

“Don't you people have more pressing matters to attend to? Say the fact that all the citizens of the kingdom are being wiped out, city by city?” I asked, looking them all over.

“That's true. . .but it isn't every day you get the chance to catch the man responsible for that happening, is it?” the 3rd man, matching my stature, replied.

“Do you really think you are properly equipped to apprehend the most dangerous man in the world?” I asked, gesturing to the group.

The taller man let out a genuine laugh at this.

“Most wanted and most dangerous are two completely different things.” He chuckled.

A twang of emotion went through me, and I tightened my grip on my sword.

“That's enough!” The woman snapped. “I think we can all agree that this is neither the time, nor the place for a fight. We stick to the mission. Where mister Lockwood fits into the plan, remains to be seen. “

“That's right boys, dogs stay on the leash!” I taunted, with a grin.

Now it was their turn to get upset, and I could see in their eyes they wanted a piece of me.

“I suggest we just go our separate ways. . . You never saw me here and you go about your business.” I said, removing my hand from my sword and grabbing for Marcel’s reins.

“I'm afraid we can't do that. . . Even with everything going on, you are far too valuable to let go. Unfortunately, you’ll just have to accompany us on our quest.” The woman said, trying to sound sympathetic.

“I really don't think you want to go down this road with me. . . “ I warned, my hand again finding my sword, and pulling it slightly from the sheathe.

“I think we should just kill this guy! The bounty says dead or alive.” The shorter man said, just staring me down. “Think about it. . . We just bring his corpse to those gypsies. Maybe we won't even have to fight them!”

“. . . You guys are going to face Zahra's gypsies?” I asked, skeptical.

“We are going to KILL Zahra's gypsies.” The older boy said, confidently.

“Ha! Do you really think 3 kingdom slayers and a few infants are enough to go up against 10 plus giants?” I laughed.

“You shut your mouth, you war mongering piece of garbage!” came a voice I hadn't heard yet.

It was the little girl.

It was then that I actually stopped to get a good look at her.

She looked to be much less than 6 feet tall. Probably 5’6 or 5’7 Not impressive but definitely much bigger than a normal human girl of her equivalent age.

She had sandy blonde hair in a neat ponytail and her kingdom slayer’s uniform was perfectly white with not a wrinkle in it. It looked like she had never even been outside of the capital walls. Her face reminded me of a younger Henrietta. Thin eyebrows and lips. Her face sporting a scowl.

“You've got some fire in your gut, kid. I respect that.” I said, smirking at her. “But that isn’t enough to go face down that gang, and make it out alive.”

The girl's face immediately turned red and it took both of the boys to hold her back as she lunged to throttle me.

“No offense, but have you three ever even been in battle? Or even beyond the training grounds just outside the capital walls? I only ask because it appears that your uniforms have never been ground into the dirt, or kicked through a building!” I poked, knowing it would get her all riled up.

She didn’t disappoint.

“Do you want to find out exactly how I fight ?!” She shouted from behind the boys. A second later she drew her weapon. . .

Odd. .

I wasn't expecting that at all. My view of her had always been slightly obscured, but here was this little girl. . . Wielding a beautiful dual edged battle axe with a tree engraved on the head as her slayer’s weapon. .

While it wasn't unheard of for a slayer to be given a weapon other than a sword at birth, it was very very rare. It was said that those who were chosen, were capable of great things. Beyond what a normal slayer could accomplish .

And here was this kid. . . Axe that was only a head shorter than she was. I watched intently as the two boys struggled to hold her and a second later, she did break free. Unfortunately for her, her attack left a huge opening and as she swung down on me, I slipped behind her and had a knife on her throat in an instant.

She gasped, waiting for whatever I had planned.

Now all of her kingdom comrades drew their swords and faced off with me. We stared at each other for a moment, tension high, before I simply let her go and shoved her back over to her side of the confrontation.

“This is exactly what I mean! If this group goes down to face them. . . You'll all just end up dead.” I said, not even sugar coating it. “This may not be about standing our ground anymore. We might have to start figuring out how we are going to survive when everything is gone!”

All of them were silent as my words sunk in. I thought maybe I had gotten through to them, but it was all part of their plan. Focusing on them, I didn't notice their final member sneaking up behind me.

A moment later I was knocked unconscious.

Dirty trick.


I woke up sometime later from a huge jolt. I had to blink a few times before peeling my face off of the wooden floor of a covered kart. The first thing I noticed was my hands were bound. I looked down at my wrists to see that they had steel cuffs on them.

Instinctually I tried to pull them apart, but they didn't budge.

“You won't be able to get out of those. They're slayer steel.” Came a voice above me.

I struggled to sit up, and looked over to see the girl sitting on a bench on the side of the kart. Her face showed no emotion as she studied me on the floor.

“Are they really necessary?” I asked, sitting down on a bench on the other side of the kart.

“Do you really think that we would let the most wanted man in the world just be free during transport? We were told that you would try to escape the first chance you got and so you are cuffed.” She explained, calmly.

I didn’t respond, but surveyed my surroundings. I couldn’t see outside the roof of the kart, but I could hear what sounded like a lot of horses riding together. Far more than the 5 or 6 other slayers that I knew to make up this team.

“Where are you guys taking me?” I asked, casually looking around.

“It was decided that you will be delivered to Zahra's sisters to avoid the possible destruction of the last form of civilization in the southern half of the human realm, Cyblee.” The girl stated, in this annoying “kid trying to act like an adult” type of way that seemed to be her style.

“The last form of civilization?” I questioned?, confused.

“Yes! After you murdered their leader, they began to rampage city after city, killing most and starving the rest! They said they wouldn't stop until you were in their hands, but coincidently. . . No one could find you until yesterday when your horse happened to cause trouble in the city and we were asked to calm it.” She replied, calmly.

I couldn't hold back a laugh.

“And you truly believe that handing me over to them is going to stop them from destroying anything and everyone?” I asked, between laughs.

Her face turned red and she fidgeted slightly in her seat as she struggled against thoughts of killing me.

“There is no reason to believe they won't stop! They didn't go around blindly rampaging before you killed their leader. Believe it or not, unlike you. . . Some people actually follow through with the things they say!” She spat, defensively. “Besides, if we can stop anymore destruction, it's worth a try. If the life of one slayer is enough to do that, then you are still fulfilling your life's purpose!”

I sat quiet for a moment, just mulling over what she had said. I had to admit that she had a point. . But that fact admittedly passed me off.

“Child. . . You know nothing about me, or the things I’ve done!” I said, more angrily than I intended.

“We know more than you think. . . Lady Lockwood made sure we would be prepared if we ever came face to face with you.” The girl said ominously.

I was just about to reply, when the wagon came to a stop, along with all the other people outside. A second later, the head of the older woman poked through the canvas of the wagon.

“Bring him to the cities prison for the time being. Then report to the west courtyard.” She commanded, before pulling her head out before the girl could reply.

“You heard her. Get out!” She snapped at me.

Before I knew what was going on, she grabbed me by the back of my cloak and dragged me to the back of the wagon. Embarrassingly, she shoved me through the back flap, and dangled me there for a second before dropping me to my feet. I scowled at her as she followed me out of the wagon. The first thing that caught my eye is that she had my sword in her hand.

“Move.” was all she said.

She kept me in front of her as we walked through the streets. All around, men worked on fortifying the city. I looked to the top of the 150 foot walls, where men were carefully aiming giant crossbows out across the field between the wall and the forest. They were lined up end to end and they had 10 on each wall.

Scattered between them, were boiling caudrons of hot tar mounted so they could be quickly dumped over the edge if need be. Some areas had rows of spikes over the edge to stop a giant from being able to grab the wall.

Truthfully, if it has been humans they were going to face, this effort would have been more than enough. . . But the force they were preparing for now. . . Sure they may kill a few but. . . Inevitably once they pushed past the wall, it would be a slaughter as everyone would be trapped inside.

Speaking of everyone. . .

I realized as I looked around, that the city was made up entirely of men. There was not a woman to be found except for my young prison guard. And to say that most of the men looked starving and downtrodden would be an understatement.

I quickly gathered that this was a makeshift army of every capable man from the southern half of the map. Some were fighting to defend their homes. Some were fighting to avenge their losses. Either way , it was the first time in a long time that I had seen men put their difference aside for the common goal of just surviving.

We continued through the streets until we came to a building whose back wall was actually the south wall of the city. It was of fairly decent size and the sign read [prison].

I stopped at the front door, and was promptly met with a shove from behind that made me stumble inside. Inside looked like exactly like every other human prison I had had the pleasure of visiting. Prison bars. . . . Cells. . . . Vagabonds. . . Insects. . . Horrible smells.

And a prison guard.

A large. . . Man? I think. . . I'm not sure but if it was a woman. . . .

Either way, their boots were up on the desk, partially obscuring their face and they wore a large, circular hat that blocked the rest as their head was down. As we stood in silence I could hear a faint snoring.

Quality help.

“Hello?” The girl asked, sounding annoyed as she looked around the dump of a prison in disgust.

“huh. . . Hmm?” The man? said, startled awake.

“Yes. . . .My name is Lady Harken. I'm from the capital. I'm here to deliver this prisoner for holding, until further notice.” She said, trying her best to sound official.

“hmm. . “ He replied, motioning with his head towards the cells.

“Move.” “Lady Harken” commanded, pointing at the cells.

I trudged forward, passing mostly empty cells until I found the one that was both empty and had the fewest rats. I stepped inside, and closed the cell door on myself.

The girl just stared me down through the bars.

“You realize these bars won't hold me, don't you?” I asked, flatly.

“If I find out you escaped, and we have to hunt you down. . . I WILL kill you. I'm sure those gypsies would love to get their hands on you alive, but dead has to be worth something.” she stated coldly, before turning and walking away.

Just then I felt it. . .

I felt her.

The death goddess.

The most subtle burning in the back of my soul. Just enough to amplify my desire to kill. The same feeling that ultimately pushed me into assassinating Zahra and got me into my current situation. .

Only this time, I had no choice to resist.

I took a deep breath and prepared to let her take control, but again. . .

Just as I opened myself, her presence faded just as quickly as it had arrived.

This damned woman and her tests!

I fumed silently, as I sat back on a filthy bench against the wall.

“I need the key to those handcuffs. . .” The guard mumbled as Lady Harken walked by.

She stopped and glared at him.

“That prisoner is not to be released under absolutely any circumstance!” She hissed at him.

“It's prison protocol, little girl. . . I don't make the rules, I just follow them.” He said lazily, never even lifting his face or even opening his eyes. “I'm guessing it's safe to assume that you will kill me if anything goes wrong, so with that promise, you know you can trust me.”

Her eyes narrowed. . . .

A moment later, she produced the key and slapped it down on desk. “Remember. . . . It's his life, or yours!” She threatened, before walking away.

“What a little ball of sunshine she is!” The man two cells down from me said, when he was sure she was gone.

All of us shared a good laugh as we settled in “until further notice”.

Chapter 23 pt 2 by Stevie


The next day I was awoken by the sound of an alarm bell being rung like crazy and men outside the prison scrambling everywhere.  I stood and looked through the tiny barred window.

 


Men with rusty swords and battered shields, some looking starved or half dead, All looking ill equipped to handle the approaching enemy, ran this way and that. Chaos.  From what I could gather, the sisters of Zahra had been spotted heading this way and that not everyone was in on the plan to hand me over to them.

 


Right on cue, an older man entered the prison door, and demanded me.  The guard acknowledged him, and actually stood from his seemingly permanent position with his feet up to walk down and unlock my cell.
Seeing the guard now made me realize how big this guard actually was.  His face was still not visible in the dimly lit prison, but I could see that he was every bit of 8 feet tall.  He dwarfed the other man as they stood in front of the cell and he opened the door.  

 


Without being asked, I stood and walked out of the cell. I could tell that the man who had come to fetch me had something he wanted to say. . . Likely accusatory in nature, but my stature, combined with the guards, must have made him rethink it.  Instead he just followed me outside the prison.

 


There, the 7 kingdom slayers were waiting for us.  The 4 older ones had calm, unphased looks.  The two boys seemed to be worried and harken wore a scowl.  There was also another human, already on his horse.
Just then, we all felt it. . . The ground begin to rumble under our feet.  On the wall, men began to shout to each other in panic and get into battle positions.  It was the same quake I had felt after I had killed Zahra, but this time it wasn’t as rapid or frantic.

 


The sisterhood was moving at a leisurely pace, and what we felt was just the tremors of massive beings simply existing. . .


“The time is now!  You need to go, NOW!” The older slayer woman commanded.

 


Immediately, I was lifted, and tossed on to the back of a horse on my stomach.  The man who had retrieved me from the prison mounted it, sitting in front of me.  Another human man pulled along side him, and together they rode out through the main gate to the city, before the heavy steel gate was slammed shut and locked down.

 


I couldn't see anything but the ground from my position, but I could tell we had gone about 300 yards when suddenly both the rumble and the horses stopped abruptly.


“Gods help us. . .” I heard the man riding my horse say under his breath as he beheld the small army of giant women.

 


He was slow to get off of his horse, most likely unsure of exactly what he was going to say to these behemoths that would spare his city their wrath.  

 


“He-. . . Hello!” began, his voice meek.  “We. . We know why you've come. . . And. . “

 


He froze in place as one of the women merely shifted her weight from one foot to another to get more comfortable.

 


“And. . . We have brought you what you have been searching for.” He finished, pathetically.

 


“And what might that be?” I heard one of the women ask, confidently.

 


A second later I was being dragged off of the horse and I was roughly tossed on the ground. I stood up, but was slightly confused as there was nobody in front of me.

 


Just then I heard someone clear their throat to my left.  I turned slowly and my vision was then filled with the all encompassing force that was Zahra's sisterhood.  My sight stopped on the nearest pair of feet in front of me, about 10 feet out.

 


My eyes travel up from the brown calf height boots, to the common trousers, then up to the long sleeve shirt. . . From the stomach down,  this could have been mistaken for a man. . . But from the chest up. . . Large breasts straining her shirt, cleavage bountiful.  Face as beautiful as any woman you would ever see, complete with her ever present look of disinterest.  Freckles sprinkled upon that face, and topped by her thick, shoulder length, scarlet hair at 115 feet tall and armed with the most tried and true giant weapon of all time.  The club.

 


Giselle.

 


One of two women that make up Zahra's leadership and the unquestioned enforcer of the sisterhood.  She was known for her uncanny ability to find payment dodging deadbeats when they were at their most drunk and when they had the most money on them.  She was feared and respected by not only slayers, but human and giant men as well.

 


More than once I had stumbled out of a pub and down a dark alley, just to find myself snatched up into the darkness and carried out into some dark corner of the woods were Giselle would proceed to beat me to within an inch of my life and take every penny I had.  Somehow it always seemed like nobody who could stop her was ever present during these abduction either.

 


Funny.

 


There was a quiet murmur as the woman got a good look at my face. Some chuckled, others fidgeted slightly. 

 

This wasn't looking good for me.

 


To my left, Giselle’s right, was the other half of the leadership of the sisterhood in Zahra's stead. 

 


Silvia.

 


She was the same height as Giselle, but unlike Giselle, there was no mistaking Silvia for a man.  From her bare feet and wooden ball anklets, up to her long skirt and wide pocketed sash, bare midriff to her frilly blue sleeveless top, necklaces and trinkets, equally as beautiful face, albeit an infinitely softer expression, up to her long blonde hair, twisted into one long braid that reached all the way down her back.  Her personality was also much more laid back then Giselle, and she hardly ever raised her voice or her fists in anger.  It was easier to let the other more aggressive women handle it.

 


Silvia was one of the dancers in the sisterhood, and widely agreed upon to be the best lay they had, although most men weren't picky.  I can without shame say that Silvia had shown me a good time more than a few times when I was in good standing with the sisterhood.

 


Beyond them, I counted 13 other women, to the left and right of the main path, as it wasn’t wide enough to fit them all.  They stood among the short trees that made up the edge of the forest .  

 


“Here he is!  The man that killed your leader in her sleep!  Antony Lockwood.” The man said, loud and clear.  

 


I looked back to the two women in front of me.

 


“Hello ladies!” I said, smoothly.  “Giselle. . . You're looking. . .dapper?. . This fine morning!” I finished, sticking a knife in the sore spot that was her style.  It was usually only giant men that gave her shit about her masculine attire, but even they couldn’t always get away with it.

 


I watched her face scrunch in embarrassment and anger as she lifted her boot up above my head to stomp me into silence.  It was obvious. . . That wasn’t what she had in mind for my first words to her after they finally caught me.

 


She was just about to level me when Silvia put her hand up to stop her.

 


“Not here!. . .You will have more than enough time to make your feelings known later. . . . We all will.” Silvia said, staring down at me, coldly.

 


“thank you, Sil-“ was all I got out before Silvia lunged forward, her foot landing right next to the men with the horses as she bent over.  I didn’t expect it, and so I couldn't dodge as her fist pounded me into the ground as she knelt on one knee.

 


“That doesn't mean you get to speak!” She said, calmly as she ever did.

 


Her sudden movement caused the horses to panic, and pull away from their riders, but they got them under control before the dust settled on me.  When it did, I was struggling to breathe under Silvia’s knuckles.  My hands were still cuffed, so I couldn't lift her fist or do anything besides lay there.

 


I groaned as I felt Silvia dig her fingers into the earth as she effortlessly wrapped me in her fist.  I was squeezed painfully with the rocks and gravel that she had picked up as she lifted me up to her chest.

 


“Does. . . The payment suffice to avoid bloody battle today?” the city leader asked, obviously afraid.

 


Both Silvia and Giselle were quiet for a moment, before Silvia spoke.

 


“Yes, we will take him and go. . .” she decided finally.

 


I heard the man give a sigh of relief.

 


“I. . . We have his sword as well. . And the keys to those handcuffs.” He said, taking the items from his horse and approaching the women's feet.

 

Silvia bent at her knees, using her hand to hold down her skirt in modesty, before she took the items from the man.  No more words were spoken and the two giants turned to leave.  For a moment it appeared that the plan to give them the slayer was a complete success until. . . 

 


Silvia stopped as she heard a whistle and a split second later, one of the giant arrows from the city wall whizzed past her shoulder.  It was followed by a loud THWACK and then came the blood curdling scream as the sister in front of her caught said arrow to her chest.

 


From what I could see from my view swallowed up in Silvia’s fist, the woman stumbled back and collapsed into the trees. From there everything went silent for a moment, before chaos erupted from the situation.

 


Four women rushed to the aid of their fallen sister.  Silvia’s grip tightened on me.  She wasn’t strong enough to flat out crush me when I was fully rested, but I really couldn't breathe either.  Behind her, the two men had realized that they were in the worst possible place to be and so turned their horses and tried to ride as hard as they could back to the castle, but it was too late.

 


Giselle lifted her club above her head and smashed it down on the men.  Horses and humans were obliterated in a single muddy smash, as the ground shook with her strength.  As a reaction, the rest of the people on the wall let fly with their arrows.

 


The battle that was to be avoided with my capture, had begun all the same.
“Surround the city, and kill them all!” Giselle roared, narrowly dodging an arrow.

 


Without warning, Silvia lifted me to her chest, and stuffed me down her shirt, between her big breasts.   I was jostled as she began to move to engage the humans and as much as I would have loved to stay in there, I had other things I needed to attend to.

 


With my hands I fished under my tongue and produced the actual key to my cuffs. It only took me a second to get them off, and from there, I had to figure out how I was going to both escape, and get my sword back, so I could go on offense here.

 


As gently as I could, I climbed up the vines of chain and necklace that Silvia kept around her neck.  When I popped to the surface, I saw that she was leaning over the fallen sister, but It was obvious she was already gone. That left only 14 more enemies to go. I knew it was risky to escape now with these 5 women huddled around, but the thing about giants is. . . They can be clumsy when a group is trying to deal with a single small target.
I waited until it seemed that they were all focused on removing the arrow and that is when I dropped out of her shirt, and down between her legs.  To my left, Silvia had my sword between her fingers, as she used her hand to keep balance on the ground.

 


Here was my chance.

 


I sprinted over to her hand, reared back, and punched her wrist as hard as I could. I felt my fist connect with her bone and it was confirmed with the brief yelp of shock and pain, emitted from her mouth as she dropped my sword and clutched her hand to her chest. 

 


The other women looked up at her, confused but by the time any of them noticed me, it was too late for them.  I let a prayer rip and the woman directly across from Silvia was cut clean in two, her blood spraying the two women to her sides as her halves fell to the ground. 

 


My actions were immediately met with the appropriate response.
Screams of terror from the fact that their friend no longer existed. 

 


It was progress, but I had zero time to recover, as Silvia nearly managed to stab me with a dagger she produced from her thigh.  I had no choice but to run away at that point but that definitely wasn’t ideal.  All slayers knew that fighting giants out in the open was certain death.  

 


With nothing to hinder or cramp their movements, giants could be incredibly agile.  Not to mention, their ability to cover ground.  As fast as a slayer was for short distances, out in the open, we were easily run down and trampled flat.  That was the case now, as I had to immediately dodge a booted foot that landed right beside me, the impact throwing me off balance.

 


I stumbled, nearly falling to the ground, but managed to stay up, just in time to avoid another stomp aimed where I was going to be. I was able to slash at the ankle, drawing blood from an owner I didn’t know as I desperately tried to make it back to the city.

 


Meanwhile, in the cities wall, all of the giant bows had been fired, and now humans struggled immensely to reload them.  The weight and length of an arrow large enough to kill a giant took 8 human men to handle and even position in the bow.  Not to mention the one or two horses it took to draw it back. The whole process would take about 20 minutes at best to reload  Slayers could do the job fairly easily, but with total number of us limited, ultimately the bows went empty and stayed empty.

 


Especially once Giselle went on the attack.  She waited until she was sure that the humans didn't have any arrows loaded, then she charged the wall. It only took her three steps to get up to full speed and from there, the wall had no chance.  The wise humans who saw her coming got as far out of the way as they could.

 


The rumble of footsteps was already overwhelming, and hers could be felt above them as she approached moving faster than anything in the human realm traveled.  She was pathetically peppered by human arrows, which, while they were sharp enough to pierce her skin, they were also much too small to feel like anything more than a mosquito bite. Everyone who chose to stay and try to hold her back paid the price.

 

At the last second, Giselle turned and used her hip and shoulder to check the wall.  Being 150 feet tall, it rose a little ways above her head, but it still wasn't designed to withstand that amount of force.  What happened to it was catastrophic.

 


In a cloud of dust, dirt and bricks, both the movement of the wall, and the pressure wave tossed the men like ragdolls.  The unfortunate ones fell off of the back side, plunging 150 feet to their deaths.  Everyone else was disoriented and dazed as they lay amongst the rubble.

 


They could do nothing as a giant hand pierced through the dust, feeling for anything and ultimately finding a bow, before grabbing and tearing it from the top of the wall and casting it down to the ground, taking the poor horse that was tethered to it, with it. 

 


From the other side of the veil of dust, a prayer nearly clipped Giselle’s head.  Likely just a blind attack.  She was unwavering and as the smoke cleared, she was finally able to see what her body slam had done to the wall.  

 


Not only was the area of direct contact cracked and caving in, now possible to be breached, but it was abundantly clear that the entire wall was now out of square.  Looking down the line at it, it was visually waved and buckled around the entire city. 

 


With that, Giselle stepped back, and lifted her club. Now the shorter slayer from before was standing to face her, sword drawn.  If Giselle was intimidated, she didn’t show it in the least, swinging the heavy, blunt instrument down with all of her strength.  

 


The man managed to block her attack, but still he was buckled, crumbling to his knees.  Giselle removed her club, but before the man could recover, he was snatched up in her hand.  He was able to resist being crushed outright in her fist, but she had other ways of taking him out.

 


Giselle really wasn’t into fancy moves and believed that straight forward and direct was the best way about everything.  This was no different as instead of trying to crush the man in her hand as a show of strength, she merely tossed him forcefully to the ground, some 100 feet below.  While slayers were very durable, a completely unbroken fall from 100 plus feet was enough to put anyone down for a while.

 


This was no exception, as the man hit the ground and never recovered.  He didn’t even try to stand, and seemed to just accept his fate.  With a quick and efficient stomp, Giselle ended his life, before pushing forward and completing her breach in the wall, smashing clear through and scattering all of the humans on the wall. 

 


Meanwhile I was having issues of my own.  As was the problem with short legs, it only took about 3 strides for the sisters to surround me.  They said nothing.  There were no taunting grins.  This was just business for them.  Subduing me so that they could avenge their fallen sisters slowly and intimately.

 


Not surprisingly, they were apprehensive of me.  I had just cut one of their own in half and the same could easily happen to them if they weren't careful. The woman directly in front of me, a tan skinned dark haired 100 footer had a large spear pointed at me.  To her right, Silvia still shakily held the dagger.  

 


Behind me, a scantily clad black skinned women with a short sword. And finally a pale, Buzz cut 80 foot younger giantess with a run of the mill broad sword.  I had to admit that this situation wasn’t looking good for me.  I turned around slowly, keeping an eye on all of them at once. 

 


They feint stepped in and out, trying to draw my attention one way or another to create an opening, so I did the most simple technique.  I let them think it worked.  I lunged at the tan skinned one, knowing the one with short sword would see an opening.  My plan worked perfectly .

 


As soon as I committed in one direction, I felt the tremors behind me, and quickly spun while charging a prayer.  The woman barely saw it coming and had no choice but to half dodge, half block the attack, knocking her off balance and taking a chip out of her sword.  As she stumbled I saw an opening of my own, and rushed to get a cut in her, but out of nowhere I was blindsided.

 


The force sent me sprawling 80 feet to my right and I just caught a glimpse of Silvia retracting her foot from kicking me.  I regained my balance mid tumble, skidding to a stop, before I immediately retaliated with a prayer straight from the death goddess.  Both Silvia and the tanned skin woman got wide eyed and had to physically dive out of the way as the monster, 150 foot tall blade of energy ripped up the ground and tore off through the field.
With this, I saw an opportunity to try to escape again.  I sprinted through the gap left by the two women, heading desperately back toward the city walls.  Unfortunately, as I passed by, the tan skinned woman, who was laying on her side, made an ill conceived grab for me.  

 

 

I easily pinned her hand down with mine, and out of spite, I plunged my sword down through the top of mine.  She let out a scream as it sunk through and out her palm.  Her other hand rushed in out of instinct, not to grab me, but just to hold her other.  I quickly pulled my sword and stepped out of range of that hand.

 


I could have left it at that.  I don't believe she would have continued to fight after such a wound, but I had a duty to all the men fighting in the city, and to all the families who lost everything “because of me.”   

 


With a prayer and a flick of my sword, she too was gone in a splash of blood.  Immediately I turned and continued trying to get to the wall, but I could tell that behind me, spirits were beginning to be broken as weeping was heard from her sisters.  These casualties would either break them all together, or strengthen their resolve to completely flatten the final town in the whole south of the human realm.

 


At this point it seemed like even Silvia was having second thoughts about this battle.  She didn’t make a move to grab me as I ran by, perhaps for fear of what I had just done.  As soon as I was passed her, she stood and regrouped with her sisters . 

 


I was able to make it around the back side of the city and a guard let me in.  I sprinted back towards the main entrance, where I could tell the kingdom slayers were fighting with Giselle. It didn’t take much consideration for me to leave her to them.  Instead I headed to the opposite side of the gate and began the long climb to the top of the wall via a wooden ladder.

 


I had just about reached the top when suddenly something heavy impacted the wall, partially caving it in a few feet to the left of where I was climbing.  It took everything I had to not be thrown from the ladder as it swayed back and forth.  Unfortunately, men on top of the wall were not so lucky, and I watched a handful fall to the ground below.

 


I was able to save one man from death as he fell passed me.  Reaching out, I managed to snag him by his shirt and easily hauled him up with me, before letting him go.  He thanked me graciously, before returning to his post.
Running to the outer edge of the wall, I saw who had caused the impact.  A brown haired, eastern coast giantess had shoulder charged the wall, but lacking 30 feet on Giselle, she wasn't able to pound her way completely through, and that would be her undoing.

 


Without being tall enough to see the top of the wall, she didn't see the cauldron of hot tar above her. A second later, two humans poured it down on her.  It splashed most of her face and down her chest.  Instantly her screams of pain nearly deafened us.  First she tried to claw it off of her, but her skin only peeled.  She stumbled around briefly, before running into the wall and knocking herself over but also toppling all the men who weren't prepared for it.  There she writhed in pain.

 


While I, and most of the men on the wall seemed perfectly fine to let her lay there and suffer to the fullest, I guess the leader of the kingdom slayers had more mercy than I, because she lifted one of the giant arrows.  In swift, flawless form, she threw it like a spear from overhead, piercing the giantess through the chest, pinning her to the ground and silencing her screams.  

 


The men cheered for her, but she didn’t celebrate.  That is because she had seen me and was now walking in my direction, sword drawn.  By this point, I was done talking and sparing lives.  People said that slayers had a certain bloodlust and once it was triggered, it was possible for it to become uncontrollable.  

 


I was feeling it now.  

 


It was unwise for this woman to be standing in front of me. .
She must have felt the same way, because she didn’t try to say anything either.  She only covered the distance between us in one sprinting step, before our swords collided. 

 


We furiously traded and blocked blows.  I had to admit that her swordsmanship was exceptional.  Most times, even though slayers used swords, they didn’t actually have very good swordsmanship because fighting a giant was nothing like fighting someone else with a sword.
Fortunately, my parents pounded sword training into us from the day we could hold a sword until the day we left home .  That is why my sister was the one who was responsible for training young slayers at the capital now.  
This woman was using standard kingdom style.  An effective, but predictable style that relied on overpowering your opponent to cover your own openings.  The trouble with this style, which I have argued with my sister countless times about, is that if your opponent doesn’t fight as brutal or directly as you, then you can be easily tipped off balance and create large openings. 

 

 

I just needed to wait for that opening.

 


By now, the humans had turned to watch us, worried looks on their faces.  The intensity of every strike caused a blossom of sparks and high pitch ringing and the wall beneath our feet began to crack as the energy of the blows had to be transferred somewhere. 
We fought, moving slowly around the wall, closer to the edge and that is where I saw an opening.  Not big enough to kill her, but I pushed in close, grabbed the front of her shirt, and threw her off the front side of the wall, forcefully. 

 


Her eyes got wide as she fell, but lucky for her, I hit my target.  The woman fell and struck the next approaching giant.  That was the last I saw of her, turning my attention to the next threat.  To my left, Silvia was approaching the wall.

 

 

The men were struggling to get an arrow loaded, and the horse was struggling to pull on the slippery stone wall.  I ran over, grabbed the draw string and easily pulled it back.  Next I took and aimed it but by then, she had gotten too close.  With a quick adjustment, I fired it anyway and the arrow launched, screaming passed Silvia and hitting another woman in the shoulder. 

 


I lost sight of Silvia below the wall, and for a solid 2 minutes we all just held our breath, no man daring to look over the edge.  What happened next was completely unexpected.  

 


It happened so fast that my eyes almost didn’t catch it, but I know it happened.  Over the wall and quick as lighting, 9 leather whips with knots tied in them obliterated every human in a 25 foot section of the wall.  They were simply turned to a bloody mist before my eyes.
I was barely able to defend myself, swatting at one of the whips, although it was too thick to cut at all.  The vicious attack completely splintered the bow as well, showering everything in wood shards. 

 

This was something new I had not gone up against, but whatever it was. . . . It was deadly. 

 

 

As the leather tentacles were drug back over the edge of the wall, I knew I had to come up with a plan.  Avoidance would be the easiest, but at the same time, time was of the essence.  We had taken a solid chunk out of the sisterhood, but there were still more than enough to wipe us out.
Going back over the wall was an option and I would have the element of surprise but while I might kill Silvia, I would still be trapped between that wall and all the women closing in on the city.  

 

 

My thoughts were interrupted by the whips returning.  There were no more humans to take care of, and I was more or less expecting them this time.  The problem with this weapon was it was perfectly designed for fighting slayers.  The many tails were meant to give the wielder the best chance at hitting a very small target.

 


So basically, short of jumping completely clear, there was no avoiding it. .
Again I managed to block the attack, but this time I decided to try something else.  Instead of letting her pull it back, I grabbed one of the whips and began to pull.  A second later Silvia began to pull against me.  With both hands I knew I was likely stronger than her, but I was still holding my sword in my other hand and as such, I was drug slowly to the edge, even though I dug my feet in.

 


Making a split second decision, I put my sword away and grabbed the whip with both hands.  Immediately, she was unable to pull and I began to back up, until Silvia’s hand appeared above the edge of the wall holding the handle.

 


There was a pause as she put all of her weight into stopping me from pulling and it worked.  Following up, her other hand suddenly gripped the edge and in a swift movement, I felt her kick off the wall and her face appeared in front of me as she tried to climb over.  
It happened so fast that I couldn’t react as this massive being moved above me.  I was knocked back by her, but that wasn’t the major problem.  The wall couldn’t support her weight and began to collapse as she crossed over.  It crumbled in an avalanche of stones at dirt down on to the city below, burying it and me in rubble. 

 


It took me a second to get my bearings and I heard Silvia get up, and begin walking around. I climbed out of the ruins of the wall to see that another giantess was climbing through the wall.  I drew my sword and launched a good size prayer but she was too close and it didn't have enough time to grow.   

 


She used her own sword to block the attack.  It worked, but as was typical, it took a large chip out of her blade and knocked her off balance.  Normally made steel weapons human or giant, weren’t durable enough to hold up to prayers.  That is what made the three daughters capable of fighting on level ground with us.

 


Their swords were made of the same material as ours.
The woman caught herself and tried an attack of her own with a fast downward smash. I took the brunt of it, blocking overhead.  She followed up with the standard slayer fighting move of a kick while their sword pinned the slayer down, but I was expecting it.  

 


I wasn’t able to completely dodge it, but I took most of the force off of it which still resulted in being kicked through 3 buildings in a row.  Recovering quickly , I was just about to throw another prayer at her head, when I was hit by blunt pain from my left.

 


I was thrown 50 yards, before recovering and landing on my feet.  Looking up, I saw that Silvia had thrown a large chunk of debris at me.  Now her, the woman from a second ago, and another who had just entered through the hole were all standing above me. 

 


Silvia had another chunk of building in one hand, and her whip in the other.  The other woman still clutched her sword, and the final woman had a club.  We squared off with me standing in the middle of the street.  Silvia reared back, and hurled the piece at me, perfect in her aim.  
I easily punched through it, causing a cloud of dust, which must have been what the woman with the sword was planning on because as soon as she thought I couldn't see, she attempted to stomp on me. Unfortunately for her, I saw it, only moving far enough back to avoid getting trampled.
With her defenses down, my sword plunged its way down through the top of her foot. Pulling it back out, I had just enough time to dodge as she took a desperate swipe at me before she clutched her foot.  It was the perfect time to finish her off, but Silvia intervened.
Her arm raised, and she cracked her whip in my direction. I was barely able to scramble behind a crumbled brick wall to avoid being pulverized.  Still they struck the wall and disintegrated it, leaving me nowhere to hide.  I bolted from the rubble in her direction and was just about to counterstrike when a sharp, bowed, horizontal orange prayer ripped from my left.
It soared to its mark, the woman whose foot I had stabbed, clipping her left side.  She spun around in a fountain of blood and crashed into the wall, dead.

 


I looked in the direction it had come, to see Harken standing on a rooftop, axe drawn. As much as I disliked her uptight attitude . . . I had to admit that she looked like a proper slayer now.  Her uniform was caked with dirt and blood and her hair was a mess as well. Her scowl was no longer one of contempt for me, but the standard face of an awoken slayer. . . 

 


She didn’t waste any time, disappearing below the roof of the building.  I wasn’t really sure if she was going to help me or not.  What I did know is that didn’t sound like Giselle was battling slayers anymore.  I could still hear the screams of men, and the thunder of her footsteps, but at this point she may just be exterminating them. 

 


The woman whom harken had cut down must have been important to the woman with the club, because she flew into a rage. She narrowly missed me with a savage smash that send chunks of earth and buildings everywhere. Before I could gain my footing, she kicked, catching me in the chest and throwing me against and through the wall of a building across the street.

 


I knew immediately what was coming next and dove through the last part of the wall on my own just as the club obliterated the entire building.
“Hey!  Calm down!  Getting aggressive is how you make mistakes!” Silvia urged, putting her hand on the woman’s shoulder.

 


“I don't care!  I'm so sick of slayers even existing!” She cried, passionately as she stomped on another building and decimated one more with the club.
I sprinted down the street to flank them but suddenly I was dodging another club strike that hit right behind me, throwing me to the ground.  A second later, I was on my back, struggling to hold up a boot sole. We struggled back and forth but the fact is, without interference, this was a battle that slayers lost 95 percent of the time. 

 


Imagine it like trying to hold up someone your own size who has their entire body weight above you and on one foot. 

 


Inevitably, my arms gave out and a split second later I was smashed under her foot.  All of the unpleasant sensations of being crushed flooded in as she just stood on me for a moment fullweight, as if expecting me to somehow push her back up. 

 


Eventually she did step off of me, but as the light flooded back to me, I saw that her boot was still poised above me, and immediately I was the victim of a brutal stomp, followed by a savage twisting.  Again her foot rose.
I’m sure I looked ragged by now, as one gets when being hammered by indescribable weight.  Just from previous experience, I knew I could take at most, 3 more stomps before my body would cease to move and then I would be flattened.

 


Seeing her foot descend again, I made a desperate attempt to roll out of the way, and luckily her foot print wasn’t deep enough yet that I couldn’t get out.  I was able to narrowly avoid it, the air from beneath her foot blowing in my face. 
Looking up, I saw Silvia, the club lady, and a new , orange skinned, white haired giantess, standing above me.  For the first time today, I began to seriously doubt my chances of survival. . 

 


“Stand up, you scum.” Silvia commanded, coldly.
Wobbly, I stood, still brandishing my blade.  None of them were on their guard, so apparently I didn't look like I was capable of fighting anymore and maybe they were right.  My vision came and went, and I was finding it hard to stand up straight.

 


That being said, I couldn’t follow Silvia’s movement as one minute she was standing straight and tall, and the next she was bent at the waist.  The next was her open palm next to me before I was spitefully slapped and slammed into a wall before stumbling back to my knees in the center of the street with my arms at my side, sword in hand.

 


“Why don't you call her here?” Silvia asked, crouching over me, and lifting my chin with her finger. 

 


“Who?  Your mother?” I asked, with a bloody grin, even though right now I probably couldn’t back up that bravado.

 


I didn’t have the focus to even evade as Silvia’s palm lowered over my head and crushed me back into the dirt. She let the pressure rest on me for what felt like an eternity. I was pushed well past the point of being able to breathe.  Though I struggled as much as my worn out body would allow, I was still brought to the brink of passing out. 

 


I’ll admit. . . . In that moment I was a little curious as to where the death goddess was. . .  I mean, against Juliette. . . She was more than adamant about not only lending me her strength, but taking over my body entirely.  Now, I was getting pummeled, and she was nowhere to be found.

 


 Just as I was about to fade out, Silvia released the press, and her hand scrunched and formed a tight fist around my head, dragging me up from the dirt. My screams were muffled as her fingers pushed my shoulders down, effectively stretching my neck as she lifted me off of my feet, dangling me.

 


“You know who I'm talking about!” Silvia snapped, showing the first bit of anger I had seen from her. “We all felt it that night.  And everyone knows of your tendencies.” She finished, giving me a painful shake that might have snapped my neck of her grip wasn’t so firm. 

 


“Summon her here. . . NOW!” Silvia demanded, tossing me roughly to the ground, before wiping my blood from her palm. 

 


To her surprise, I was laughing.  Not my normal laugh, but an unstable laugh of a man creeping ever closer to death as he coughed up blood from having his head nearly squeezed off of his body. 

 


“You honestly don’t know what you're asking for. .” I laughed. “Look how many of your sisters are already dead!. . . I. . I haven't even begun to get started!” 

 


With that, using all my strength, I slowly struggled to stand, using my sword as a crutch.

 


Silvia looked like she was on the verge of tears now.  Her look told me the entire story.

 


(How could someone so small generate this much heartbreak and devastation?)

 


What she did next actually managed to surprise me. . . 

 


“GISELLE!” she hollered, as tears ran down her cheek through her glare of hatred.  

 


The rumble that has been a constant since Giselle had breached the wall was suddenly silent. . . Then footsteps heading in our direction, before Giselle appeared in the clear sky above me.

 


What I saw was troubling. . . 

 


Dangling from her fist by their uniforms, were the bodies of the male kingdom slayers, minus the one she had crushed on the outside of the city. Their bodies were in less than mint condition.

 


Giselle said nothing, as she just looked over the situation with an all encompassing scowl.  Silvia stood, and embraced her, burying her face in her shoulder and wrapping her arms around her.  I could hear her beginning to cry. Giselle really wasn't the touchy feely type, but she put up with this.
I was honestly so taken with the impending pounding that Giselle was planning, that I didn’t notice Harken was standing beside me, holding her axe in both hands.

 


“Can I. . . Help you?” I asked, trying to sound clever, but my voice was too ragged and weak to really convey any whit. 
“Just shut up!” She snapped.  


 
I glanced over at her.  Her eyes were glued on her fallen comrades and I couldn’t tell if it was rage or crushing despair she was feeling.
“I'm only doing this because Lady Lockwood made me promise I would.” She stated coldly. “If it came down to us or them. . . I promised I would save your life.”

 


“Huh. . . “ I said, thoughtfully.  “Big sis always looking out for me, I guess.” I said, before collapsed to my knees.

 

 


“Stand back up!  I can’t do this alone.” Harken urged, panic in her voice as she faced down the looming threat.

 


“Listen. . . Harken. . . “ I began, although it was becoming hard to even form a coherent thought by now.

 


“I’m going to need you to forgive me for whatever happens next. . . “ I mumbled before. . . . 

 

I asked for help. 

Chapter 25 by Stevie
Author's Notes:

Ant and Harken strike back.  Long chapter but I hope it entertains.  Let me know.

Hmmm. . . .

This was odd. .

With my eyes closed, and giving her full permission to take me, I expected Freyja to jump at the chance. . . But no.

While my body did start to repair itself, it was as though she wasn’t there. Like I was just feeding off the residual energy that just came with having my soul owned by the death goddess. She wasn’t actually putting any effort into it, and wasn’t giving me any strength

A moment later, I opened my eyes. My body felt as good as it ever did on it’s own I guess, but that wasn't going to be enough in this particular situation. I looked to my side to see Harken staring at me with a queer look.

“What?” I asked, as I straightened up

“Nothing. . . It’s just. . Is that it?” She asked, seemingly disappointed.

I knew what she was getting at, but I wasn’t about to discuss my issues with some kid.

“Am I not healed?” I asked, holding my hands up.

“Yes. . . I was just. . . Expecting more. . “ she answered, shrugging her shoulders. “I thought I might be able to feel. . .”

“Can we please just focus on this fight?” I asked, interrupting her harshly.

With that, her scowl returned, and she turned to faced our opponents. By this point, Giselle had managed to peel Silvia off of her, and had tucked the slayer’s corpses into a pouch on her hip. Silvia stepped behind her, like a small child behind a parent.

Giselle stepped forward, strutting confidently toward us. Before I knew what was happening, Harken was sending a prayer down the street to meet her. As expected, Giselle casually side stepped it, before countering with a club smash.

Harken managed to block it, but the blow threw her back and she smashed against the city wall. She recovered instantly and just as quickly another prayer was screaming towards Giselle. Again she evaded, and countered. This time there was no space between herself and the wall and I knew that Harken would be smashed if she tried to block again.

To my surprise, she didn't try to out muscle Giselle and instead ran to her left, avoiding the club. This time, she unleashed a counter of her own, another prayer with medium velocity. Giselle barely managed to dodge, but she may not have been the intended target. The attack passed her, but it was aimed directly at the woman with the club who had been intent on stomping me into the ground.

Her eyes got wide and she dove out of the way at the last second. I saw an opening and was about to cut her down, when Silvia interfered. Her whip lashed out and cracked a few feet from me but it was enough of a distraction to save the woman’s life.

I went then to attack Silvia, but just as I about to, the orange skinned giantess stepped in, swinging her sword at me. I managed to block it dead, but again my counter was ineffective. It was obvious now that none of them were going to let us have a clean shot at each other .

Meanwhile, Harken had dodged Giselle and after avoiding a stomp in quick succession, had ducked behind a building. Unfortunately, Giselle wasn’t trying to avoid buildings, and the house was demolished in a single step as Giselle pursued her. Left exposed, Harken tried another prayer.

Giselle couldn't dodge at such a close range, and had to use her club to parry. The attack took a good sized notch out of it, as it was the equivalent of an axe chop. It may have been progress, but a brutal counter smash sent Harken sprawling. She tumbled to a stop after smacking into the corner of another building.

To her credit, although she was slow to get up, she did stand and face her opponent. By this time I had fled the confrontation with Silvia and company and was on my way to Harken. I got there just in time, grabbing her by the arm at a dead sprint and whisking her away just as Giselle smashed again.

She looked upset to see me, and tried to dig her feet into the ground to stop me, but I continued to put distance between us and them, although I could feel Giselle behind me.

“What are you doing?!” She demanded, trying to pull away from me. “Slayers never retreat!” She declared pridefully.

“I don’t know who told you that, but they are full of shit!” I replied, bolting to the right as Giselle’s club smashed down, just missing us. “We are going to have to work as a team if you want to survive this.”

A moment later, we were out flanked by the orange skinned giantess and another from the eastern coast with a broad sword. We stopped running, and Harken immediately reared back for a prayer, but I stopped her.

“What's wrong with you?!” She shouted at me.

“Brute force isn’t going to win a battle with any giant worth their salt! Especially not these women! There is a reason all of your comrades are gone, and if you are going to survive, you need to learn from them!” I said, probably more coldly then I should have, but now wasn’t the time for sensitivity.

“What. . . What would you have me do?” She asked, humbling herself.

“When I attack, you get ready to defend counters. They use numbers to make sure we can never strike openings.” I explained, just as the orange skinned giantess attacked.

She swung her sword at a sideways angle, smashing through a building and creating a cloud of dust and making it hard to defend. Harken swung her axe to meet it, stopping it dead and I used the opening. I jumped on the blade of her sword and ran skyward, as she went to kick Harken.

Anywhere but on the ground it was difficult to find the footing to launch prayers, so instead I would just attack by conventional means. I made it to her hands and let my blade drag up the back side. Blood began to run out as she flinched. She predictably let go with one hand to try to grab me, but Harken was right on cue.

Below me, the woman’s sword clanged to the ground, crushing another building as Harken struck it, disarming her. The woman's face was shocked, as she knew she was wide open to Harken, but Harken didn't get the chance, as Giselle caught up with us, and she had to dodge another club smash.

Fortunately, while the orange skinned woman was waiting for a prayer, she forgot about me, and by then I was up her arm. She saw me at the last second and my sword only managed to cut her above the eye, before her hand swatted me, but it was just in time, as an orange prayer tore from below. It was obvious it wasn't aimed the greatest, but it hit it’s mark, and the woman's arm fell to the ground. She let out a scream that could be heard for miles, and collapsed. The easterner rushed to her aid.

Luckily, there was a tall building nearby and I landed unharmed. From there, I jumped down, just in time to block Silvia’s whip from Harken’s blind spot as she fought off Giselle.

“Let’s focus on her!” I said, pointing to the woman trying to stop her sisters bleeding arm. “I'll defend, you find the opening.”

Harken nodded, and we began to close the distance. Silvia saw where we were headed, and went to block us. I planted my feet, and sent a sweeping blue prayer, up towards her head. She stopped dead, barely managing to stop in time for it to pass inches in front if her face, taking some strands of her hair with it. From the other side of the gauntlet, Giselle tried to stomp on Harken, but miraculously, she rolled and avoided it, while barely breaking pace.

I punished Giselle with a prayer in her direction, if nothing more than just to let her know I was there. She blocked it with her club, but another chunk was taken from it, and a crack formed down the center. It must have cut her hands as well, as they began to drip blood. Knowing it was garbage, she hurled it at me, and the unpredictability of it caught me out. The bottom end of it hit me and sent me flying.

I was dazed as I tumbled down the street, landing on my stomach. My eyes were still rolling when a shadow shrouded me. Before I could react, I heard the crack before I felt it. Silvia’s whip final caught it's prey. . .

White hot pain, as my body felt like it might explode. It honestly felt like it might. . . Have you ever been in so much pain, that you just feel cold?

I contemplated not standing up again as blood soaked the back of my cloak. The tails of the whip just were lifted, and my body along with it, before I plopped back to the ground. The back of my neck down to my thighs, were raw and bloody now, but still I stood again, knowing that another lash was probably on its way.

I was correct.

I turned around to see that Silvia was looking down on me with contempt, her arm raised and ready to whip me again. To my right, my sword lay on the ground, out of reach. Without it, I knew there was no defending myself.

I saw her next move in time to react if I had a weapon, but that didn’t matter. With a twitch of her eye, Silvia went to lash me aga. . .

To the east, the most powerful prayer I had seen all day exploded toward the fallen giantess and her aid. The sheer energy of it froze myself, Silvia, and Giselle in our tracks. I could personally rip the faces off of buildings with a prayer, but this example of dark orange heat completely tore buildings from their foundation, disintegrating them in its wake.

A moment later, the two women were gone, for lack of a better description. Incinerated by this awesome destructive force. The shock on Silvia’s face spoke volumes. Her expression screwed into an awkward mix of bewilderment and fear. With her attention off of me, I quickly grabbed my sword, and limp ran in Harken’s direction.

Snapping out of the initial shock, Giselle spotted me although she didn’t attack. It appeared she didn’t have a weapon, so she did what someone of tremendous size does best. . . She ran.

She ran back the way she had come, scrambling for one of her sister's weapons. I let her go, in favor of regrouping with Harken, who was just standing in the middle of the street a block ahead.

Her axe was blade end down at her side, and she was breathing heavily. She barely seemed to notice me as she stared off in the direction of where two souls had just been wiped from existence.

“Are you alright?” I asked, putting a hand on her shoulder and turning her to face me.

“I'm. . . Fine. . “ She said, somewhat distantly. “It just. . .got away from me.”

This was something that was common when slayers are young. Our bodies are very durable, but they aren’t designed to withstand all the power that a god has to offer. If you aren't careful, you can release too much energy and effectively “snuff your own fire” so to speak.

Essentially, your body overloads and shuts down for a time. The risk of that is you are left vulnerable to anyone and everyone. The flow of power is something we learn to control. You want to get as close to the max without going too far. The fact that this child could unleash that amount of power without snuffing herself said a lot about the strength of her soul. . .

“Come on. This fight is far from over.” I said, as I turned to face Silvia. Behind her, Giselle had picked up a long sword. The woman with the club also walked around to flank us. It seemed that this was all that was left of Zahra's sisterhood. I don’t know what happened to the other two giants that we didn’t account for, but hey, kingdom slayers weren't completely incompetent I guess.

“Do you have a plan?” She asked, a little worry in her tired voice.

“Giselle is the strongest. . . Silvia’s spirit can't take much more and this one isn’t really a joy either.” I replied, pointing my sword at the woman with the club.

“So we take her first?” Harken asked, like she honestly valued my opinion.

“We scramble until an opening appears. . . . Just remember this. . . Prayers aren't the only weapon you have, ok? Contrary to what my sister preaches, sometimes you have to close the distance and scrap with your body.” I said, looking her in the eye.

“I'll. . . Follow your lead.” She answered, humbly.

I nodded, and with that, we faced our enemy. We were out of range of straightforward prayers doing the trick, so I decided to try something my team had developed in our travels. . .

I began to run the ground between myself and the club woman. She remained in a defensive stance, club at the ready. As soon as I broke into the run, Giselle made her move, going to strike me with a powerful downward strike from the long sword. Harken saw it coming and met it with an upward slash from her axe. While she did block the attack, the strength difference between them was only becoming more apparent.

Harken stumbled forward, getting knocked out of her stance on pure strength alone. Giselle followed up, with a sideways smack with the side of the blade, more or less just trying to swat the tiny girl out of the way. Harken quickly pushed her axe out with both hands, meeting the blade with force and planted feet but ultimately getting pushed back anyway.

The woman in front of me focused , trying to predict my movements but I had a move she hadn't seen yet. First I launched a straight vertical prayer to set it in motion. Just as I wanted, she began to move to my right.

Another prayer just behind her to keep her going. . . And finally, the finisher.

Closing my eyes, I dialed up a prayer from the god of chaos and misfortune. Shitty things to be the god of, but when called upon, he was reliable for the most part. He was exactly what you needed for this type of attack.

With a flick of my wrist and a special twist of my sword, the relatively small prayer left me traveling upward and on a nasty left hook at high speed. To be honest, I don’t think she even saw it coming. . .

My left hook met her left run and collided to create a headless corpse that continued to run for a few steps before crashing brutally to the ground. I didn’t even wait for her response, sending another curve at the dumbfounded Silvia.

She snapped out of her stupor as the attack turned in her direction. She barely escaped it, dashing a few steps to the side and forward, out running the arc of it. With the odds even now, I finally felt like I could push without being blindsided.

That being said, I wasn’t completely comfortable leaving Harken to handle Giselle alone. I continued to press my attack with two more prayers in quick succession, making Silvia scramble to keep from getting caught, but as I looked over, I could see that Harken was beginning to lose her battle.

Giselle was very experienced at fighting slayers, and as such, she made sure that there was never a sufficient gap between herself and Harken that the girl could use to set up an attack. Giselle’s sword seemed to be everywhere at once as she battered Harken’s defense just waiting for her strength to wear out. She was smashed this way and that as the bigger, stronger woman had her way with her, culminating in a swat that sent Harken through a wall, collapsing the building in on her.

Giselle punctuated this with a heavy stomp, before grinding her foot on the rubble. I knew I had to act. While I figured that wouldn't be enough to finish Harken off, you could never overestimate how much a slayer had left.

By now, Silvia had regained her composer, and decided to charge me. She accurately predicted a defensive prayer, before trying to demolish me with a heavy kick. It narrowly missed me, but she was into close quarters now. I was made to avoid a flurry of stomps, all while getting bashed side to side by near misses. While I didn't get crushed, it did make me dizzy, and vulnerable.

I couldn't get myself together before Silvia whipped me again. The weight of the tails crumpling me into the street. This time getting up wasn’t an option. The thought of it never crossed my mind. The sword felt from my hand and I just lay still, enjoying the view of rubble, destruction, and flames that my swollen eyes afforded me from my place in the street.

Harken. . . . The humans. . . My family. . . They would all have to make due without me, I guess.

Oh well.

Silvia stepped over me, and I felt the edge of her sandal in my ribs as she used her foot to move me from my side to my back. I offered no resistance, just laying spread eagle and limp. Her face was covered in dirt aside for the river system of tears flooding down it.

I flinched as she dropped down heavily to her knees over me, and began to sob.

“This. . . This day went too far!” She bawled, covering her face.

As much as I wanted to argue the fact that she and her sisters had literally wiped out all civilization on the southern half of the realm, I held my tongue. It didn’t seem to matter now.

“Why!?” She screamed to no one in particular with a pound of her fists that smashed into my prone body.

I responded, coughing up blood. I noticed Giselle was standing over me as well. As far as I knew, she had finished off Harken and now it finally my turn. She placed a hand supportively on Silvia’s shoulder.

“It's over now, sister. . . “ Giselle said, solemnly. “It came at a high price in the final act, but we avenged Zahra now. “ she finished, throwing down the sword she had been using.

“Everyone is. . . . Dead. . How could this have happened?. . . . Zahra never would have let this happen!” Silvia wailed.

By now her tears were beginning to soak into my already blood soaked cloak.

“Don't you dare blame yourself!” Giselle said, tightening her grip on Silvia’s shoulder. “Zahra. . . . “ she began but trailed off as her eyes got glossy and then teared up.

She let out a frustrated holler and I found myself hammered with her heavy boot. Lucky for me I guess, she didn’t twist or grind. I wouldn't have survived it. . . I barely survived this. Up to this point I had just been opting to stay down, but now I officially couldn’t move my limbs.

“I have to blame myself! If I was stronger, I could have saved them!” Silvia cried, her head in her hands.

“That's enough, Silvia!” Giselle snapped. “You are beautiful because you aren't a fighting piece of garbage like the rest of us!” She declared, her voice cracking with emotion as she failed to hold it together and began to cry hard.

This was honestly too much emotion for me, and I would rather have taken another whipping then continue to have to experience it.

“Giselle!” Silvia wailed with an almost reprimanding tone. “It's all my fau-

I gazed up to see that Silvia had a look I knew all too well on her face. It was the look of getting ran through with a sword when you weren't expecting it. Her face scrunched as her mind grappled with the situation.

A moment later, blood began to run out of her mouth, covering me as I confirmed the sword tip protruding from her chest.

It must have taken Giselle a bit to realize what had happened, because only after Silvia fell forward, right on top of me, did she look back to see Harken. She was looking worse for the wear, and appeared to barely be able to stand.

I could only watch as Silvia slumped down on to me, breasts first. I craned my neck back, trying to avoid being smothered by massive tits that rolled up my body, straining my bones and finally coming to a rest at my chin. Although my face wasn’t covered, I still really couldn't breathe under her weight.

“H. . .Harken!. . . “ I groaned. “Get her off of me!”

*

Giselle went from teary to furious in the blink of an eye. She pulled the sword from Silvia’s back, and immediately began her revenge, looking to smash the tiny girl to pieces. Harken narrowly dodged to her left as Giselle swung down, splitting the street and sending chunks of rock flying.

Harken sprinted around her, avoiding being trampled and made it to me. There was no time to do anything more than pull me free and lean me sitting with my back against a wall before Giselle was all over her. Harken was forced on the defensive as Giselle hammered her with blow after blow, tossing the girl this way and that.

Inevitably she was smashed to the ground by an especially vicious blow, followed by an earth shaking stomp that was sure to put her down for the count in her current condition. That should have been the end of it, but it was clear that Giselle had snapped and the frustrations of the day were being worked through now. She reached down, scooping Harken from the dust, before slamming her right back down, embedding her in the street, face first.

I closed my eyes with the impact. It wasn’t that I hadn’t seen slayers brutally killed, but I was just starting to. . . Not. .like her, so much. . . But definitely respect her as a fighter. Now she was going to die the same shitty death as me. . . Albeit probably less painful if I didn’t manage to pass away before Giselle could finish with her. In my current state, all I could do is sit and watch her demolish Harken.

Again Giselle peeled her from the dirt, this time tossing her up, before punching her down. Harken flew, before skipping across the ground and colliding back first with a wall. She stayed there, slumped in a seated position the same as me. A second later, her axe fell from her hand, clanging to the ground.

Giselle just stood over her, waiting to see if she would stand again, but she didn’t move at all. I couldn't tell from as far away as I was if she was even still breathing, but I could see a trickle of blood running out of her mouth.

After a few seconds Giselle must have been satisfied, because she turned and faced me. In two steps she was above me, her eyes burning with hatred. It was honestly the most emotion I had ever seen from her. Usually her expression was neutral when she was beating the tar out of me in the woods and taking every penny I had.

I think she was of a rare variety who truly didn’t care one way or the other about fighting. She was supremely skilled at it, but it didn’t make her happy or anything. She was always just serving her sisters. But now though. . . This was Giselle pushed as far as she could be pushed and I was the outlet for whatever she was feeling.

I had been near death plenty of times, and you do honestly get used to it. I wasn’t really fearful of what she would do to me at this point. Maybe it was the fact that the death goddess had killed my friend, tortured me, and then just flat out abandoned me out of spite, but right now, I was just longing for the days when Jacob and I roamed around, drunk off our asses, not fighting anyone.

Days long gone I guess.

After another moment, Giselle finally decided to break the tension. I closed my eyes as she knelt and reached for me. I could feel the warmth of her skin on my face and that is when it happened.

I felt it.

We felt it. .

We felt. . . Her.

Giselle froze in place as a cold chill went through both her and I. She withdrew her hand and looked over her shoulder.

Standing there, apparently unconscious and with an ominous green glow, was Harken.

I knew immediately what she had done. That Damned fool! In her desperation to survive, she prayed to the goddess of death. And yes, I had made the same mistake. . . But I fully understood the consequences of my actions. For her to be so young, and to throw her life away like this. . .

Giselle’s head snapped back to me and impossibly her hatred doubled as she glared at me like I had something to do with it. I'll admit, it was a bit strange to see it from the outside. Harken had a slight twitch and rock to her and her face was twisted in agony as she burned as the payment for such power. Her beaten and mangled body began to straighten and a second later, her face was just blank.

Giselle let out a scream of rage, raising her sword high above her head before swinging it with all the force of a giant woman scorned. Harken took only a small step to her left, and used her axe to only slightly deflect the attack, but it was enough to throw Giselle off balance.

What happened next seemed to unravel in slow motion. Harken charged a prayer, but instead of just letting it go, instead she charged Giselle. Unexpectedly, she threw her axe, charged with green and orange prayer. It arced off to the side, flying end over end.

Harken continued straight forward, using the rubble of buildings to elevate herself to around Giselle’s waist. Giselle removed one hand from the sword, and with lightening fast reflexes, she caught Harken with a right cross but it was too late.

A second later, Harken’s prayer charged axe found its mark. Simultaneously, I heard Giselle hit Harken, a sickening crack, and Harken’s axe hit Giselle. Harken was brutally smashed into the street, but she got the better of the exchange as the axe burst out of the left side of Giselle’s back. Right where her heart should have been.

There was a column of blood and other body matter that was completely pulverized that blasted from the exit wound as the axe barely slowed down, flipping off into the distance. Giselle was dead before she hit the ground, falling backward and to the side before coming to a rest in a cloud of dust and shaking the entire city.

For a moment, everything was silent. A desolate sea of death and destruction. From afar, it would have been impossible to tell who actually won the battle. While the human toll was obvious, with bodies smashed into red grease all over everything and two thirds of the city completely leveled. . . There were equally as many giant bodies, with limbs missing, heads gone. . . Completely vaporized.

As I stayed seated against the wall, just staring up at the blue sky, but with storm clouds in the distance, against all odds I heard a noise. It drew my attention downward to see a filthy figure struggling to rise from the street. Outwardly, I showed no emotion, but inside I applauded her, as Harken peeled herself from the ground and stood tall.

By this point, I was sure that she was merely riding the adrenaline wave that dealings with the death goddess sometimes provided, because her movements weren’t smooth as she stumbled toward me. She had made it to within 10 paces of me now, and I could see that the green in her eyes had begun to fade.

She took another 2 steps, and stopped. Her eyes were fixed on me, but it looked like she was having trouble focusing. I don’t know how, but even after all that abuse her face still managed to look smug and satisfied beneath all the dirt, cuts and swelling.

Harken opened her mouth, and I thought she was going to speak. To rightfully gloat about her victory, but as soon as any sound escaped her mouth, the weight of the day caught up with her. I watched with amusement as her eyes rolled back into her head, and she collapsed face first into the dirt at my feet.

With that, I sat alone, unable to move for the next hour, just thinking. . . Should I confront Freyja again to see what her problem with me actually was, or would it just end up the same as the last time. All I knew was that this dependability issue was going to get me killed. . . .

Not to mention. . .

Harken had apparently decided to sell her soul. . . Unfortunate, but it's not like I could say a single word about it seeing as how I made the exact same decision.

Just before the storm hit, the remaining human men finally came out of hiding. I was honestly surprised how many had survived. I found out later that there was an emergency escape tunnel under the city that led to the sea. Once the giants had penetrated the wall and us slayers began to fight, the humans evacuated so that even if the city was crushed, they could live on and start over.

Both myself and Harken were taken into one of the few undamaged buildings where the cities doctor worked on us. He managed to stop my bleeding which was the major concern. The typical crush wounds healed after a day or two. Harken on the other hand had less of a tolerance for damage, being young and inexperienced.

Despite the death goddess aiding her, she still had broken bones that needed to be set. For slayers, bones usually took a few days to fully heal under the right conditions. That being said, I wasn’t actually waiting on her, so after a day of rest, I left her to the doctor and went to handle one more bit of business.

That business being the story of what actually happened in the battle. I really didn’t need word getting around that I was here, regardless of the outcome of the fight. The last time the news told of me, the city I saved for leveled anyway in retaliation. Instead, I convinced the writer to paint Harken as the hero of the battle. She deserved the glory. My sister would be proud of her.

Apart from that, I saw to Marcel, who had made his way in with the other horses somehow and was unscathed. Getting all the supplies to travel took longer than I would have liked but finally the next day I was ready to leave. I woke up early and made my way to the front gate, and that was when I saw her.

Harken. . . Fully healed, cleaned up, and perfectly dressed in a fresh kingdom uniform. . . . She had just finished loading a wagon with supplies. . . . My supplies and then some. . . . What's more. . . . She had Marcel and a white horse that must have been hers hitched to said wagon. . .

I don't know if she was doing all this just to irritate me, but she was even brushing Marcel. His horse face looked pleased with himself as she gave him attention and affection. . . . Disgusting.

“What's all this then?” I asked, apprehensively as I scratched the back of my neck.

“I'm just brushing him! He was filthy you know!” She replied, in a scolding tone.

“I don't mean the brushing! I mean why are my supplies and my horse attached to that wagon? “ I asked, trying not to yell at her.

“Because I'm going with you?” She replied matter of factly like it was something I should have already known.

“Umm. . . No.” I answered without hesitation. “I'm not babysitting you and I don’t associate with kingdom slayers.” I said, walking up to her and taking the brush from her hand to get her attention.

“You don't have a choice!” She said, confidently staring up into my eyes. “Either you let me travel with you, or I'm taking you back to the capital. Those are your options.”

I had to genuinely stifle a laugh as I heard her offer.

“You're forgetting the option where I just kill you and throw your body in a ditch!” I replied, putting my hand on my sword as I tried to menace the much shorter girl.

“Ha! So now you’re out here threatening little girls eh, Lockwood?” a dark, silky voice asked from behind me with a chuckle.

We both turned to see the guard from the jail approaching us. Now he had a broad sword on his hip and a large round shield on his back. His face was now visible under the brim of his straw gardeners hat, complete with a large grin.

“Darius! You beautiful, ebony man!” I said, embracing him. “I'm glad to see you made it through! I had my doubts with the . . . . Condition. . . You described that night, but you always were a survivor!” I exclaimed, happily.

“You two know each other!?” Harken exclaimed, somewhat angrily.

“Yes, this man is like a brother to me!” Darius informed her, putting a big hand on my shoulder.

“So. . . . This whole thing was what. . . Part of some big plan?” She asked, clenching her fists.

We both laughed at this.

“You give us too much credit, girl! This was just fate.” He replied and with that he walked passed us, to the back of the wagon. Harken watched with clenched teeth as he tossed his back in, before climbing inside, making the whole wagon creak with his massive size.

“He. . . He's not coming with us!” She said, keeping her voice down as she spoke to me.

“There is no us!” I shouted, throwing my arms in the air. “There is we” I began motion to myself and Darius “ and you! Two separate parties here!

She was fuming pissed now. There was only silence for a moment before she spoke.

“Fine then. . . . I’M TAKING YOU IN!” She shouted up at me with all the annoyance of a bratty child.

Without warning, I drew my sword in the blink of an eye, and swung. I only intended to make her flinch but to my own surprise, her axe was right there to meet my sword. Impressive.

“Don't forget that I'm stronger than you, Ant!” She warned, with no doubt in her voice.

I admired her spunk. . . I really did, but she needed to be taught a lesson. Fortunately, now wasn't the time to teach her how the world actually works. I was nothing if not cunning and manipulative, so I would use it.

Just as suddenly as I had drawn my sword, I slid it back into its sheathe and was calm. Harken looked slightly confused but mostly suspicious. As such, she kept her axe drawn and her eye on me.

“You want to come with us. . . . Fine.” I said flatly, turning and walking to the wagon before climbing into the seat of the wagon.

Now her mostly suspicious face was completely suspicious. She did put her axe away but I could tell she was still on her guard as she walked up to the wagon, glaring at me as she put her hand on the step to climb up.

“Whoa. . . What are you doing?” I asked, stopping her.

She said nothing, but her nostrils flared and she inhaled sharply.

“You can come with us. . . But there are rules. . . “ I said, trying to sound my most sincere.

“Such as?” She asked through clenched teeth.

“Well. . . Most important to this situation. . . The newest member of the team helps the humans clean up after a battle.” I said, trying to keep a straight face.

Harken’s eyes narrowed as she tried to decipher if I was telling the truth or just messing with her. She turned around to see human men everywhere, some sifting through rubble while others tried to use teams of horses to pull the corpses of giant women to no avail.

She turned back to me, and I could see that she was struggling with wanting to get away, and the natural honor she felt to do the right thing. . . An admirable trait that she would likely lose if she followed me and my path.

“Fine!” She said finally, stepping down from the wagon. “but don't think you're getting rid of me that easily!” She finished, pointing a finger at me.

“Help clear the bodies. Cut them in to pieces with that axe of yours, if you have to. Be the slayer people need you to be. Give your fellow slayers a proper burial. If you complete that task and feel like you still want to join me, we are heading due north following the path. We have a 5 day ride, so you should be able to catch up if you make haste here.” I said, trying to sound reasonable.

She only nodded, before turning and walking back through the gate and with that, we set off back to our family.

“Are you really going to let her join us, or are you just messing with her?” Darius asked, from his place in the back of the wagon.

“I haven't honestly decided. . . Her personality clashes with mine about as hard as two personalities can. . . . But she has a good heart. I think we could all use a bit more of that. The potential in her to learn, and become a legend is there as well. With a little real world experience, she could be a force to be reckoned with. Time will tell I guess.”

Chapter 26 by Stevie

We traveled in silence for at least an hour before Darius broke the silence fron his place in the back of the cart.
"So your friend. . . Do you really think he can help me, or was that just a ploy to get me here? He asked, his tone curious.

"If anyone can undo your litt . . . . Condition. . It would be him.  He is as close to a god as I have seen walking this land."  I replied, trying to convey optimism.

The truth was I didn't know if he could help or not.  Had I not experienced a similar phenomenon when I was at Juliette's work camp, I might not have even believed it was possible for a slayer to be sealed away from the gods. 
"We probably all owe him our lives, honestly.  Only with his help did we defeat Juliette." 
"But she still lives, does she not?" Darius replied, with a dark tone in his voice, and I knew what he was getting at. 
"True there was no confirmed kill. . . But no one else was even able to put a scratch on her, so the fact that she retreated with poison cursing through her veins and is now reportedly unable to even walk, is something to rejoice over I think." I answered, trying to remain calm even though I knew what he was trying to do.  
"I just hope you are fully aware of what you've done and who is coming for you personally now." He warned, his voice quiet and trailing off.

"Ant, I'll be honest with you so there are no surprises later. ." He began. " If this god friend of yours can't heal me. . . I won't be joining you guys for the upcoming battles. . . "

I was honestly a little shocked to hear this, but I guess I could only imagine what he was going through, although I had felt what it was like to be cut off from the gods briefly.

"I have faith in him. And if he can't. . . " I trailed off.

We both knew that facing a giant without prayers was a losing battle most of the time.  Our sword became little more than a needle without the strength of the gods behind it.  

There was a long pause before he spoke again.

"I'm not entirely sure I can face Leonara even if I do get my prayers back. . . . Not after last time. . . " he said, ominously.

"Well this time is different.  This time you have all of us." I answered, trying to be positive, though I knew how difficult the fights to come to be.  

Even against Juliette we barely survived and the entire team was out of commission for an entire week. If her sister had been there, we would likely all be dead right now.

"I'm not really sure it would have mattered Ant.  That woman. . . . She's not of this world. . . . The monster that monsters fear. . . She. . . She just played with us like we were toys, before capturing us like rats." He recalled, his voice shaking and unsteady now.

"All we can do is try, brother.  It's not like there will be a world left for us to run to if we choose to flee anyway.  The end is upon us and we are being pushed to the very outer edges of the map." 

He only mumbled his agreement.

We continued on, pushing as hard as the horses would allow, Stopping to camp a few hours after the sun went down.  

We didn't even bother to set up a tent, choosing to just lay in the back of the wagon.  We didn't speak and I didn't know if it was just because there was nothing to say, or because our bond was weaker than it had been in the past. Either way. I knew there would be a time and place to hear his story.  I closed my eyes, praying that the goddess of death was too busy tormenting someone else to visit me. 

My prayers were answered and I slept through the night with no incidents.  At first light, we set off with Darius driving the wagon now.  About midday it began to pour rain and even though the wagon had a cloth canopy, it was still miserable as we continued north.  We still hadn't spoken to each other for going on 24 hours.  We were just two souls traveling through the vast and empty world, deserted by man or extinguished by giants at this point.  

It continued to rain through the second night, but this time we put up a makeshift shelter just off the road, big enough for ourselves and the horses and started a fire to try to dry our soaked clothes.  We both ate as Darius stared deeply into the fire from the entrance to the shelter.  I layed back against Marcel, just resting my eyes and thinking about nothing in particular.  For the time being, it reminded me of the days of old.  When a single rogue giant was all a slayer had to deal with and the odds were heavily stacked in our favor.

Unfortunately, my tranquility was interrupted by the sound of a horse coming up the road.  It slid to a stop, and there was nothing but the pounding of rain for a moment.  Darius was on full alert now as he gazed out into the dark, his hand on his sword.  The momentary lull was disturbed as the horse left the road and slowly approached the camp.

"A-Ant?" A voice called out, sounding miserable and soaked somehow.

I immediately knew it was Harken, but chose not to reply.

"Ant. . . . If you're in there, you better answer!" She said, a little louder but still unsure of herself.

There was a brief pause before Darius replied instead of me.

"It's us child.  Come inside and warm yourself!' He called, beckoning to her through the downpour.

After 20 minutes of fussing, she had the shelter extended to accommodate her horse and she was shivering next to the fire.  

"Thanks for the help, jerks!" She snapped at us as she removed her kingdom cloak and hung it near the fire.  

"Do you mean with the horse or the entire city? Darius asked, not missing  a beat and with a slight smirk.

His comment caught me off-guard and I chuckled involuntarily.  The laugh earned me a glare as Harken warmed her hands by the flames.

"You're here sooner than expected. . ." I said, not opening my eyes.

"Yeah well. . . . That's the last time I'm doing clean up!" She replied angrily.

"Was it really so bad?  You don't know how much it means to the humans." Darius asked, pulling his eyes from the fire to look into her eyes.

"Yes it was that bad!" She spat at him. "I'm not exactly strong enough to lift or even drag a full sized giant woman, let alone all of them! Everything aches now!"

"You kids nowadays just don't know the value of hard work!" Darius commented with a soft smile.

"And what do you know of hard work, huh?  I don't remember seeing you even lift a finger to help in that fight!" Harken shot back, through gritted teeth.

"Harken, leave it alone!" I intervened, sitting up.

"No, Ant. . . . I want to know why this guy did nothing while we almost died!" She shouted at me, glaring at Darius.  "Even if you know him, I know you realize that anyone who isn't willing to fight is just a liability out there."

"Look, Harley!. . . It's complicated. . . He" I began, but Darius interrupted me.

"You don't need to defend me Ant.  The truth is, I've been given a fate worse than death, but I've been given a chance to get my life back." Darius explained, halfheartedly.

Harken wasn't satisfied.

"What, like the death goddess doesn't give a shit about you either?" She snarked, motioning to me.

"Hmm. . . . . More like no gods care for me." Darius said, thoughtfully.  

The look in Harken's eyes wavered for a moment. 

"What are you talking about?" She asked,  in arrogant disbelief. 

To this question, Darius rose from his seat by the fire and lifted his shirt.  Beneath it, completely covering both his front and back, he had been branded with various giant symbols and writing.  

Her eyes were wide now.

"I've been sealed.  Completely cut off from the gods.  No prayers, no nothing." He said, putting his shirt down and walking past her to lay down. 

"That. . . That's not possible!  I don't Believe you!" Harken stammered.

"As much as I would love to have your acceptance, it's the truth.  Like petulant children, the giants have complained about their lot in life until they have begun to be granted unnatural abilities from the gods." Darius explained, sprawling out next to me and pulling a blanket over himself.

Harken was silent now as she grasped the gravity of what he was saying.

"How. . . How can the gods turn on us like this?" She asked finally, to nobody in particular.  "We only exist to balance their creation!"

"Well. . . . When you kill the very first giant, they tend to take exception to you.   That and Leonara has a snake's tongue." Darius replied, yawning.

"Leonara?. . . . The middle of the youngest three daughters of the giant king?" Harken inquired.

Darius said nothing.

"I've heard the king speak of her.  I don't think he fears anyone in this world more than her. " she continued.  

"Rightfully so.  Her glance alone is enough to freeze water.  Bracelets made of slayer's bones.  A master strategist and swordsman.  Not to mention her size. . . . Big enough to crush a fresh slayer with just a step and a cruel streak a mile wide. " Darius explained, and I could hear his old trademark storytelling prowess beginning to shine through. 

"She sounds formidable. . . ." Harken began solemnly.  "It's a shame I'm going to have to behead such a majestic woman!" She finished, her voice brimming with confidence and though my eyes were closed, I could tell she was grinning. 

I couldn't help but laugh.  Not out of spite, but because it had been so long since the days when we all used to boast about the giants we would slay with all the bravado of younger men. 

"What's so funny?" Harken demanded, standing over me, between myself and the fire.

"Nothing.  . . . Your confidence is refreshing is all.  It's been a while since I've heard anyone who is so sure of anything in these dark times.

Harken was quiet, apparently sizing me up to see if I was just fucking with her.  A moment later she must have been satisfied that I was sincere.

"Thank you." She replied, softly.

She stepped over us and began to make up a bed before we all settled in for the night, listening to the rain continue to pour down profusely.

In the morning it was still raining as we set off, myself and Darius in the wagon and Harken on her horse. It continued to rain for the rest of the miserable trip, making for the return to camp and the sight of the other degenerates risen from   their forced comas less enjoyable, even though it had stopped just before our arrival.

I pulled the wagon in line with the other two that were currently at the camp and  jumped down. My feet had barely touched the ground when I heard raspy voice behind me.

"And just where the hell have you been?!" Henrietta demanded.

"I was. . . . Running errands."I said with a grin as I began to unhook the horses from the wagon.

"Running errands? You've been gone for over a week and we've been stuck here waiting with our thumbs up our a-

Henrietta froze when she saw Darius emerge from the back of the wagon.  She let out an uncharacteristically high, girly squeal as she rushed to hug him.

"Darius!" She cried as he swept her off her feet and twirled her around.

"It's been a while, darling!" He replied, holding her up at arms length and looking her over.  "Just as gorgeous as ever."

"Give it a rest you old womanizer!" Malakai said as he came walking out of the trees with a massive grin on his face.  
Darius placed Henrietta back down before firmly shaking hands with Malakai.
"I missed you brother!" Darius exclaimed, embracing him as well.

"The family is finally back toge-" Henrietta began but again she paused when she saw Harley.
"Who the fuck is this?!" She spat, her hand moving to her sword.

"Calm down! She's with me!" I stated, holding my hands up.

"Ha!  Isn't she a bit young for you, lockwood?" Malakai asked, laughing his loud obnoxious laugh.

"It's not-" I began

"So what, now you travel with kingdom trash?!" Henrietta sneered, her hand still on her sword.

"Who are you calling trash?!" Harken fired back, jumping from her horse and facing down Henrietta, although the height difference was immense between them. 

"Can we please not do this right now?" I asked as I walked Marcel over to all the other horses.

"Tell that to this old hag!" Harken snapped at me but definitely in Henrietta's direction. 

Both Darius and Malakai were laughing now and this caused Henrietta's face to turn red.

Just then Jacob came wandering into camp from the trees.

"Is that. . . Henrietta's sister or something?" He asked, getting in on the fun
This only made things worse as they only laughed harder now. 

"We are NOT sisters!" Both women said in unison.

Malakai was laughing so hard now that he fell over and Darius had to lean against a tree.

"Shut up!  No, you shut up!  SHUT UP!" the ladies shouted, inadvertently exactly in sync.

"They're like twins!" Malakai cried, hardly able to breathe now.
Cassius joined in now too, spitting out the sip of ale he was drinking and almost choking as he laughed.
I saw warnings in front of me as both Henrietta and Harken were stomping towards me now, their angry words blending together into a very angry pot of female fury.  Luckily they telegraphed their attack and I easily caught one fist from each of them in my own hands as they tried to punch me into next week.

"How is this my fault?" I asked angrily as they each tried to pull their hands from me. 

"Let me go Ant!" Harken growled.

"Go set up your tent! As far away from Henrietta as you can!" I commanded her as I let go of her fist.

She gave me a glare that could draw blood, but eventually she turned and walked away. 

"Ant, you have no business bringing a kingdom slayer here!"  Henrietta hissed, tugging at her hand.  "This could be a trap for all we know!"

"It's not a trap. . . . The rest of her party is dead.  Killed by Zarah's girls down south.  We barely survived but she rose to the challenge and no doubt saved my life." I explained, releasing her wrist as she stopped thrashing.

"It took all we had and barely bested Juliette. . . We need all the strength we can muster and it may come by unconventional means from here on out. . . . . The world is getting frighteningly small alarmingly quickly sister." I said softly, putting a hand on her shoulder as I walked passed her.

"Cassius, where's monte?  We have need of his. . .unique abilities." I asked, sticking my nose over the pot of stew he was tending to now.
"Well he isn't here.  Seems you aren't the only one dead set on leaving this camp undefended in the midst of a war!" He answered, a bit of bitterness in his tone.

"Where did he go!?" I demanded, glancing over at Darius, who was preoccupied, catching up with his companions.

"Down to the south shore.  Said he was going to use his control of water to help ferry humans off the mainland to that island that giants can't get to." He said, brushing me back from the stew as he added a few more spices and tasted it. 

"Shit!" I spat, rubbing the back of my neck.

I knew Darius would likely leave again if there was nothing to offer him.  Maybe the allure of his family would keep him for a few days but ultimately he would return to his life of inactivity.  Honestly it hurt to know how badly the giants had broken him.

Discouraged, I walked over and sat down at a long table someone had fashioned out of some trees. I was in my own world as I pondered how to get Darius to stay, and that was when Harley came walking up and sat down in front of me on the other side of the table.

"Can you gather everyone over here so I can explain my plan for rescuing your sister?" She asked, like it was official kingdom business.

"Harley I dont think-

"What did you say about Ant's sister?" Malakai asked, interrupting me as he sat down beside me with a bowl of stew. 

"She needs our help!  The king is going to trade her to the giants in order to assure peace!" Harley explained, turning to him instead of me.  

"That ain't happening!" Malakai said, pounding his fist on the table and with a mouth full of stew.

"That's right!" Harley agreed, rolling out a map she was holding out on to the table.  "Luckily I have the perfect plan! She finished, cocky and proud of herself.

"Hey!  Jake, Pete, Darius!  Get over here!  We're saving Abby!  The new girl has a plan!" Malakai shouted, louder than necessary.

Peter came over, sitting next to Harley.  Jacob gave me an irritated look as he sat down on the far end of the table.  Darius  sat down to my right.  

"What are you yelling about?" Peter questioned as he looked over Harley's map.

"Abigail Lockwood and the other kingdom slayers responsible for the mine attack are scheduled to be handed over to the giants in 5 days time and I have a plan to rescue her." She explained, tapping the map.

"You guys can ultimately do whatever you want, but don't you think you might have bigger priorities than a rescue mission?" Cassius asked, setting down bowls of stew for everyone. "No offense to Ant or Jacob, but Juliette has definitely made it to safety by now, and her sisters will no doubt be coming for vengeance now regardless of whether or not they have 3 or 4 no name slayers."

Everyone passed thoughtful glances as they considered his words.  Harley broke the silence.

"That's the beauty of my plan!  Florence, the oldest of the three daughters, is set to take delivery of the prisoners!  This is both a rescue mission and an ambush!" Harley exclaimed with a huge grin on her face.

That was all it took to sell Malakai on the idea and he immediately hollered his raucous approval.  Both Peter and Darius were understandably less enthusiastic about it, and the color had drained from Peter's face.

"Objections?" I asked the table nonchalantly, although I myself wasn't so sure of a rescue/ambush.

"I'm not objecting. . . . I just think. . . That we should be at full strength before we go walking into a battle with Florence." Peter said, looking visibly shaken. 

"You scared Pete?" Malakai chided, punching him in the arm.

"I said I'm not objecting! It's just that we only narrowly defeated her smaller, weaker sister!  Without something major changing, we won't make it out of that fight alive, even with a successful ambush!" Peter snapped, standing up and walking away.

"Things HAVE changed!  We have Darius back now! Malakai answered in reply, putting a hand on Darius' shoulder. 

At this, myself, Peter, Darius, and Harley  began to speak, then all simultaneously thought better of it. 

Malakai immediately caught on, looking to Darius.

"I'll be ready, just as soon as I speak with your mage." Darius replied confidently. 

"He isn't here." Cassius said casually as he took a mouthful of stew.  Either oblivious or just plain uncaring of the delicate situation.

Immediately, Darius looked to me.

"Hey, he was here when I left!"    I defended with my hands up.

"Can we please focus on my plan!?" Harley interrupted obnoxiously

"Fine." I sighed, turning to her.

"Ok. . . . Check this out!" Harley said, before diving into her plan.

Chapter 27 by Stevie
Author's Notes:

Can I make you like her before I make you hate her?

 

Leonara brushed a strand of hair out of her visible eye as she walked steadily down the center of the street, leading her horse.

"Hello princess!" Called a woman sweeping the front steps of a business.

Leo waved with her free hand and smiled warmly.

"Good morning your highness!" Said the blacksmith, who was busy hammering a horse shoe.

This time Leonara smiled and nodded in his direction.  She didn't entirely hate this part of being royalty, but it did make planning her strategy for revenge on the slayers that much more challenging.  It broke her heart and boiled her blood to see her vibrant and energetic little sister  barely able to even walk, let alone ever fight again.

Not that it would have been a challenge to wipe out the humans in a war, and nearly killing a princess was definitely an act of war, but the main fear of her advisers was that the gods might retaliate and create something else besides slayers to completely wipe out the giant race if they got too aggressive.

So for now, she was on her own and going to seek advice on her foes from her guide to all things mythical, Sebastian.

"Leo!" A voice called happily from behind her.

She had barely turned around when something barreled into her legs, hugging them tight.  She looked down to see a little boy wrapped around her.

"Samuel!  Leave the princess alone!" Called a woman, the boys mother as she walked up the road.

"It's been so long since I've seen you!  I thought those rotten slayers got you!" He replied happily, releasing her legs and looking up at her.

"I mean. . . . I'm not as good with a sword as you are, but you should have SOME faith in me!" Leonara said with a wink.

"The people in this town have a habbit of exaggerating and telling all sorts of stories about what they think is going on in the affairs of the humans. . ." The boys mother chimed in as she caught up with them.

"The joys of small town living!  Although, rumors aren't any better in the capital. . ." Leo commented, rolling her eyes.

"Are you having any luck finding your father's. . . . " the mother asked, trailing off.

Leonara only gave her an exasperated look.

"Have you captured Antony Lockwood yet?" The boy asked, eagerly.

"And what do you know of Antony Lockwood?" Leo asked, teasingly.  "Little boys and girls need not worry about such men.  You should be focusing on your school work so one day you can go on to be an advisor to the king or queen!"

"I hate school work!  I want to be a warrior like you!" The boy exclaimed.  " I've been practicing with the sword you gave me!"

"Well I'll tell you what. . . . If you be good and listen to your mother, when I come back from the mountain, I promise I'll give you another lesson!  How's that sound?" Leo asked, pinching the boy on the cheek.

He nodded happily, and his mother mouthed "thank you" as they turned to get on with their day.

These types of encounters were the ones that Leonara loved.  While she was known as a ruthless monster to her enemies, she took her role as a princess of the people very seriously as well, and she had become very fond of the villagers in this particular town from her many travels up the mountain.

Leo had only to drop her horse off in the stables and grab some supplies before she started the trek.  The path to the base of the mountain was a long straight road, lined by thick forest.  The villagers mostly stayed off of it because it only led to one place.

She stood at the beginning of the path, looking up at the humongous mountain looming over the forest.  A chill ran down her spine as she remembered how cold, snowy and wild the weather was at the top.  The gear she had with her would be much too hot to wear here on the ground, but at the top, it would take all she had to stay warm.

It was just then that she got the feeling she was being watched.  She glanced around subtly but didn't see anyone.  In a way she was used to being stared at behind her back.  After all, at 145 feet tall, she was head and shoulders taller than anyone but her sisters and she stood out like a sore thumb.

She brushed the feeling aside and began down the path.  The sooner she got her information, the better.  It was a solid hours walk to get to the end of the path and then a brutal climb from there.  She let her mind stray as she trudged on.

The woods always seemed so dead and calm whenever she walked through here.  Nobody maintained it, but somehow there were never even any leaves on the path to crunch.  Her thoughts went to her older sister.

She hadn't seen Florence in months, since they had begun their campaign to find their father's killer.  Leo was 100% sure that she was fine though.  Not as often as it had been, but her human spy/slave would steadily report of failed attempts by slayers to band together to take down a massive strawberry blonde giantess in the northern part of the human kingdom.

Leonara did wonder if she would come home to visit Juliette though.  Leo had sent word to her, but she was known for not replying promptly and it drove Leonara crazy.  They both knew it would mean the world to Juliette, but at the same time, Juliette didn't want to seem like a failure in the eyes of her big sister.

In a way, it irritated Leonara that Julie was so concerned with what Florence thought anyway.  Maybe it was because she disregarded her

own opinion and advice so often but cherished Florence's words as law.  It wasn't worth dwelling on and she would never bring it up in spite, but she HAD warned Juliette about fighting the slayers by herself before she knew anything about them.

There it was again. . . . That feeling like somebody was watching her.  She had been lost in her thoughts and noticed that she was already nearing the end of the path already.  The final gate stood stood about 100 paces in front of her.  Out of the corner of her eye, she caught something move to her left among the trees.  Still she continued to walk at the same pace.

At 75 paces, she noticed a large pile of leaves in the center of the path.  She didn't visually react and coninued to walk.  At 50, she saw something again, this time to her right.  Still she didn't react.

Another two minutes later she arrived at the pile of leaves and -

A battle cry came the trees to her right as her assailant finally made themselves known.  They swung their sword erratically but Leonara only dodged and moved, not drawing her own sword as she moved backwards toward the gate.  Always aware of her surroundings, as soon as her heel crunched a leaf, Leonara jumped back and clear over the pile.  She landed light on her feet on the other side.  Her attacker suddenly stopped and just stood with the pile between them.

"Is that it?" She asked, folding her arms and raising an eyebrow.

The figure stood frozen for a moment before trying to break into a sprint in the opposite direction but Leo was on them in a heartbeat, jumping back over the pile and snatching them completely off their feet by the back of their shirt.

"Did you really think this work on me?" Leo asked as she dangled the boy from village over the pile of leaves.

"Please don't drop me Leo!" The boy begged.

Leonara kicked some leaves aside to reveal a pit full of sharpened sticks below.

"I should drop you in there for being such a little twerp!" Leo snarled, pretending to be upset.  "But I can be a merciful princess. . . . So I suppose I'll let you go. . . This time!" She said thoughtfully, before dropping the kid back on his feet beside her.

"I thought I taught you better than that!"  She added, putting her hands on her hips.

"What?  It's a good trap!" Samuel argued, covering it back up with leaves.

"Except it's completely obvious it's a trap!" Leo replied, laughing.

"How? I covered it with leaves, didn't I?" He asked, confused.

"That's exactly why it's so obvious!  Do you see leaves anywhere else on the path?" She questioned, gesturing to the path behind them.

". . . . . . No." The boy admitted quietly, hanging his head.

"Not to mention your horrendous sword play!" Leo added, ruffling the kids hair with her hand.  "I know I haven't been around in a while, but that was terrible!

"Hey! It's my own style I have been working on!" He defended, with a shocked look on his face.

"Well keep working on it. . . . And fill this hole back in.  It better be perfect by the time I get back, you little shit!" Leo laughed, walking around the pile and continuing down the path.

"I'm telling my mom you called me that!" He called after her, like a little brat.

"I'm a princess!  I can do whatever I want!  Now fix it!  I'm serious Sam.  I'll be back in a few days!"  Leo replied, waving goodbye as she continued walking without turning around.

[Top of the mountain]

Sebastian looked down at the tea he was sipping, and noticed the ripples.  A sign that something large was approaching.   His heart fluttered as he put on his coat and opened the front door to the eternal blizzard that raged outside.  It was a form of security and only those who were worthy could make it through to speak to him.  It had been hundreds of years since he had even spoken to a human.

His eyes lit up as he saw a massive figure moving through the 50 foot deep snow just outside the clearing to his home.

"Juliette darling!  It's been far too long gir-

He stopped short as the raven haired giantess came into focus, the smile fading from his face.

"What. . . . Were you expecting someone else?" Leonara asked with a sneer, pulling the blanket further over her shoulders, her body covered with snow from head to toe.

"Well I. .   " Sebastian stammered.

"I know the kinds of things you do with my baby sister when she comes to visit you, and I can't say I approve, you little worm." Leo said, only half joking.

"Leonara. . . Your majesty. . . You know I would never take advantage of the ceremonious relationship between your family and myself!" Sebastian gushed nervously.

"Enough!  Are you going to invite me in?  I'm going to freeze to death out here!" Leo snapped, stomping her foot and causing snow to fall out of all the surrounding trees.

"If only I was so lucky!. . . Sebastian whispered under his breath.

"What was that, you tiny little cretin?" Leo challenged, crouching and looming over Sebastian's entire house.

"N-nothing. . . Your highness. . . " Sebastian replied, averting his eye.

"That's what I thought!. . . . You know, Juliette isn't here to protect you.  She would be none the wiser if I was to break a few of those tiny little bird bones of yours!" Leo threatened,  bringing her giant face inches from him.

Even though Sebastian was technically immortal, the memory of his arms being broken by the temperamental giantess a few hundred years ago was still fresh in his mind.

Without a word, he prayed and a moment later, Leonara was magically shrunken down from her towering height of 145 feet, down to a much more manageable but still formidable 15 feet so that she could better fit inside of his home.

The entire house also expanded to accommodate her.  It was the most that he was allowed to alter the reality around him and he turned away and walked inside.  The giantess followed, shaking off the snow before going inside.

Inside, she made a b-line for the roaring fireplace, sitting down on the floor in front of it. Sebastian knew better than to rush her, but at the same time he was incredibly uncomfortable around her when Juliette wasn't around to keep her at bay.

"To what. . . . Do I owe. . . The pleasure?"  He asked, cautiously.

"Something's happened to Juliette, and I need information so I can avenge her." Leonara explained, staring into the fire.

Sebastian gasped, and moved to sit down in his own chair by the fire.

"What happened to her? Is she alive?!" He questioned, worry in his voice.

"She's alive. . . . But she struggles to even walk now!" Leonara growled just thinking about it.  "Those coward slayers had the gall to poison my sister!" She shouted, losing her cool.

"Well I know that you don't need any advice on killing giant slayers. . . So what is it?"

"I do need advice on killing someone!  And you are the one who sent me on this path." She snapped.  "The guardian of one omega staff!"

Sebastian appeared confused.

"Did you not acquire the staff already?  You have used prayers yourself. . ."

Leonara let out a huff through her nose.

"I have begun to learn, though it wasn't through your fool's errands!" She spat.  "And now the guardian is working with the slayers to great effect!  So great that they came moments away from ending my sister's life!"  She shouted, standing up and towering above Sebastian.

"Princess, I assure you that the guardian is as physically mortal as any other human!" Sebastian cried, cowering slightly.  "If you didn't manage to kill him then surely it was from lack of trying!"

"I DID KILL HIM! AND I BURNED HIS BODY AND YET SOMEHOW HE WAS STILL ABLE TO SHOW UP LATER AND NEARLY KILL. MY. SISTER! " Leonara raged, flipping Sebastian out of his seat and onto the floor.

"Ill-illusions!" Sebastian struggled on the word.  "He likely waited until you were distracted and created an illusion  of himself to avoid death!" He stammered as he tried to crawl away from the angry giantess.

"How is that possible?! What is he?"she demanded, reaching down and grabbing Sebastian, lifting him and setting him back on his feet.

"Essential. . . . Essentially he is a step below a god.  The first created race and as close to the gods as was ever created." Sebastian gasped.

"Yet you say he can be killed?!" Leonara questioned, relaxing a bit and regaining her normal, stoic demeanor.

"Yes. . . While he is very powerful, he is still as vulnerable as a normal human.  You probably weren't far from actually killing him the first time." Sebastian replied, uprighting his chair and sitting again.  While he really wasn't a fan of her, he was at least used to dealing with Leonara's abuse.

"So are all of his powers just an illusion?  He had control over water and earth!" Leo continued, trying to paint the full picture of her enemy in her head.

"It could have been an illusion, but they also do have the ability to Control the elements."

"Why am I just now hearing about this race? If they were so powerful, why don't they exist anymore?"

"Because.  The gods don't want you to know about them.  They were too powerful and they may have been able to overthrow the gods themselves.  But for whatever backwards reason, the gods choose only to create, not destroy." Sebastian explained, his contempt for the gods apparent.

"And?" Leo pressed.

"And so they created you brutish, dull, giants to wipe them out!" Sebastian spat getting worked up himself.

"You forget yourself, Sebastian. ." Leonara countered, threateningly but calm.

"I regret many things, but calling things as they are is not one of them."

"Has it been so long already that you have also forgotten the bond that you and my father shared?"Leo continued, raising an eyebrow.

"I haven't forgotten. . . . But I also haven't forgotten about his ravenous lust for territory and power.  I haven't forgotten that this mountain used to be neutral ground for giants and humans.  Now it resides squarely in giant territory , doesn't it?  Or have the borders shifted even more lopsided then I remember them?  It has been so long since I've been from this place or even seen a map for that matter! Hard to come by when the blizzard outside never brings anything but snow or anyone but giants who have a vested interest in those very borders!" Sebastian ranted, winding himself in the process.

He sat panting as Leonara just looked him over with no emotion on her face.

"Are you finished?" She asked, condescendingly.

Sebastian didn't reply.

"Good!  Now, how do I neutralize his magic? " she demanded, done with the back and forth and ready to get to the real reason she was there.

"What, you don't have faith in your abilities with that fancy sword?" Sebastian chided.

"In fair fight, I would absolutely crush them. . . They know that.  I know that.  And so do you.  I always like to be prepared, but when the cowards start to use poison and tricks, then I need an edge.

"How is being 150 feet tall, heavy enough to outright crush a slayer, and too strong to measure. . . Not enough of "an edge" for you?" Sebastian asked, struggling to keep his voice from a shout.

"It isn't.  Not at all."  She replied, calmly.  "Every tiny little person thinks being big is some great advantage, but it isn't.  I'm out there fighting a race of people who were created specifically to kill me.  I'm a massive target fighting someone about the length of my finger.  Sure, a giant has the advantage out in the open, but slayers know that and choose to fight in cramped little cities.  If I trip or fall, that could mean my life."

"I wish it would. . ." Sebastian replied, under his breath.

"Excuse me?" Leonara asked, her eyes narrowing.

"Nothing. . . . The short answer is, there is no real way to neutralize his power. . . Unless the gods themselves gave you that ability." Sebastian explained, waiving off the notion.

Leonara was silent for a moment as she contemplated how she might gain enough leverage over a god to ask for that ability but nothing came to mind.  It wasn't a surprise to her that Sebastian was putting as much effort into withholding information as he could without invoking her wrath.

"Alright. . . . Thank you, Sebastian.  I'll be going now." Leonara said, politely before grabbing her coat and walking to the door.  "I'll send Juliette your regards."

And with that she left, closing the door behind her.  15 feet from the door her size returned to normal as she started back down the mountain.

She was pleased to see that samuel had filled in the pit in the middle of the path from earlier. She found him at his house in the village and as she promised, gave him another swordsmanship lesson before she departed for the human realm, two royal guards along with her.

She couldn't wait to start working on her plans for the Antony Lockwood and his band of slayers, but first she had to attend to some diplomatic business that had been pushed on to her lap by her sister.

 

Chapter 28 by Stevie

After hearing Harley's plan, we spent the rest of the day and all night drinking and celebrating our family being back together.  Eventually even Henrietta made her way out of her tent and joined us. She even managed to find brief but common ground with Harley on the many flaws of men.

In the wee hours of the morning, I retreated to my tent, and my eyes had barely closed when a voice came through the flap.

"Ant. . . I need to talk to you!" Came the voice of Julius.

"Yes Julius. . ." I said with a sigh.

He entered the tent and sat cross legged at my feet.  It was dark so I couldn't really see his face.  Just then I realized that I actually hadn't seen him since I had been back.

"Juliette killed me, didn't she!?" His voice a very loud, very harsh whisper.

"What are you talking about boy?" I asked, playing dumb and putting my hands behind my head.

"Don't fuck with me, Lockwood!" He said,  dead seriously.  "Juliette squished me, and I know that you have something to do with it!  I felt the kind of unnatural energy that you put off inside myself right before my body walked out into the street!  Next thing I know, I wake up in this camp and Juliette has been defeated."

"You want the truth?  Ok.  Yes you died. . . I think.  I don't know how the death goddess did it or how you are here now, but I did watch you walk out into the street and get crushed by Juliette.  But you aren't the only one she fucked with. " 

"Do you. . . Do you expect pity from me?!" Julius fumed, still his voice raising in intensity.  "Anything that happens to you, is your fault!  There is a reason why nobody here prays to the death goddess!  Because they aren't dumb enough to fuck with her!" He finished in a full blown yell now as he left my tent.

I really didn't want to, but I followed him out, knowing everyone was looking now.

"What do you want me to say, Julius? You're traveling with people who fight giants for a living!  I do what I have to do and it's not always the most popular decision." I said, keeping my own voice calm.  

"I'm fine with that!  But if I die, I want it to be on my own terms!  Not walked out into the street and squashed like some stupid, insignificant insect!"

"What's he whinin' about now?" Henrietta asked, taking a swig from a big jug of booze.

"Ant got me killed by the death goddess. . . By Juliette!" Julius complained, confusing himself.

Everyone in the camp looked confused at this point. 

"I don't think dying means what you think it means. . . " Malakai said slowly, as if Julius was stupid.

"Shut up Malakai!" Julius screamed, his voice cracking, as if he were on the verge of tears.

"I'm just saying." Malakai laughed.

"Seriously, what are you crying about?" Henny asked, standing up, towering over Julius and putting a big hand on his shoulder.

Julius glanced around him.  Nobody other than Ant seemed to have the slightest idea what he was talking about.

"No one here remembers Juliette stepping on me in that last fight?!" He demanded, bewildered now.

"Kid, you're becomin' annoying now with this bullshit, ok?" Henny stated, bending at the waist to get face to face with the human.  "I don't know if you are playin' some kind of stupid human prank or somethin', but we obviously don't get it, so just stop."

"And if you ARE serious. . . . Then how much more proof do you need, to realize that you are alive?  I honestly can't fathom that!. . . Like. . . If what you are sayin' is true, then you would be a pancake embedded in the street back there, wouldn't you?   That's pretty basic reasoning. . . Even for a human." Henrietta drawled, tapping Julius on his head as if to make him understand the logic.

He seemed to be mulling over the idea that maybe he had imagined it, and looked to me for some type of conformation.  I kept a  straight face, offering no answers.

"But Ant said-

"Ant is an asshole!" Henrietta interrupted reassuringly, putting a finger to his lips to shush him.

"Ant IS an asshole. . . " Malakai chimed in, nodding and shrugging his shoulders like she had made some super valid point.

"Fuck you, Malakai!" I snapped, feigning anger.  ". . . . But you're not wrong." I finished.

The whole camp besides Julius, Jacob and Harley erupted in laughter.

Julius just glared at me before storming off to his tent.  With a yawn, I returned to my own tent without another word. I settled in and had just closed my eyes when-

"Ant?. . . Ant, are you awake?"

I let out a deep sigh.

"Yeah, I'm awake Harley. . . What is it?" I asked, trying my best to hide my annoyance.

"Is. . . . Is what he said true? " she asked, quietly as she fully entered the tent.  "Did you really get him. .   " she trailed off.

". . . . . . "

"Ant?"  She persisted.

"Look kid. . . . . The death goddess is. . . . She can be. . . . Vindictive.  To say the least." I said, purposely staying vague so I wouldn't get my own ass kicked later.

"What happened?" She asked quietly.

"More or less. . . We went to fight Juliette. . . She wanted full control of my body.  I resisted, so she took control of Julius and made him walk out in front of Juliette and Juliette crushed him in front of me. . . " I explained, rolling away from her to show her I just wanted to sleep. 

"Is that going to happen to me?" Harley asked, her voice somewhat shakey.

"I mean. . . . Juliette was in pretty rough shape, so I don't think that-

"I mean will the death goddess try to take over me?. . . Now that I invited her in. . . "

"Not right away. . . . Maybe not at all.  It's safe to say that I've relied on her too heavily in my past.  I didn't listen to the people around me and now my spirit is completely under her control.  You can and should be fine. . . " I replied, actually trying to set her mind at ease.

". . . . Okay. . " she said, lingering for a moment before I heard her leave.

I closed my eyes for the 3rd time and this time sleep came. . . . Unfortunately, so did she.





When I opened my eyes, I was back in Freyja's throne room.   My heart dropped out of my chest.  Someone behind me cleared her throat.  I turned around to see Freya, a towering 150 feet tall, sitting legs crossed on her throne.  She looked displeased.

"Ant, Ant, little tiny Ant. . ." She began.  "Why are you dissuading the girl from me?  I've been your strongest ally, and yet, here you are. " 

"She doesn't need your help.  She is strong enough on her own!" I shouted up at her.

"That is for her to decide, worm!" Freya boomed at me, stomping a massive foot.

She had already snuffed out my will to fight with the last brutal display of power, so I immediately submitted to her power this time.

"I'm sorry goddess!" I cried, falling to my knees and groveling at her sandals. 

She just glared down at me smugly without any movement for longer than I could handle.  I was just about to beg for any type of action when finally she spoke.

"Run. . ." She said, with pep in her voice like she just had a spontaneous idea.

"What?" I asked, confused.

The goddess of death rose from her throne, her sandaled feet encroaching in on my space and forcing me to stumble back.

"I said. . . . Run!" She repeated herself, with an evil grin on her face as she leaned down to get a good look at me and it only took me a second to realize what she planned to do.

Immediately I turned to run in the opposite direction.  Behind me I heard and felt her foot leave the ground.  A second later I felt her shadow above me.  I barely got a glance over my shoulder when I was met with the bottom of her sole and subsequently forced to the marble floor.  Pain erupted through every grain of my existence as my body was pulverized underfoot and the recently familiar feeling of dying overtook me.

I wish it had ended there, but no such luck.  The split second my soul was extinguished, I was put into another body mid run, this time a few yards ahead of the blood stain that squirted out from under her left sandal.  Unfortunately and 100% intentionally, I was lined up perfectly with her next step and I was snuffed out  before I could even process the situation.

Again I was revived and positioned under foot, but this time I was ready.  As soon as my feet touched the ground I jumped to the le-


Again I was revived and positioned under foot, and tried to jum-

I gave it one last attempt before accepting that I was stuck in an inescapable loop, forced to die, over and over. I stopped even trying to run, and she trod over my limp body all the same.  5 deaths.  6 deaths.  7. 8.  9 deaths as she casually strolled down the hall of her throne room.  10 deaths.  Her footfalls continued up into the mid double digits before finally the rhythm was broken and my limp body fell to the floor without a sole to follow.

I layed there with my eyes screwed shut, just waiting for another death, but it never came.

"This game isn't as fun when you stop fighting." The giantess said down to my pathetic form.

I rolled over on to my back and glared up at her.

"Well why don't you put all the god magic aside and face me straight up?" I suggested, my voice dripping with attitude.

"Does a child bend to the will of her toys, or do the toys stay nice and still and keep their little mouths shut?" Freyja asked, smugly and with her hands on her hips. 

". . . ."

"That's what I thought!" She said, replying to my silence.  "Now. . . I think one more should just about do it. . ."

The giantess raised her foot as high above me as she could, lining it up. Her evil grin had been dialed back to only a sinister smirk now as she gazed upon her prey. 

"I'll be seeing you again soon, Ant." Was all she said, before stomping her foot down and obliterating me.

I woke with a start back in the mortal world to the sound of people packing.  Following suit, I joined Harley, Henrietta, Jacob, Peter, Malakai, Cassius and Julius in loading up for the rescue/ambush mission.  Darius opted to stay back in case Monty returned.  That way he could both get his prayer returned and also lead him to us.


We left shortly after, heading north towards smithburg, one of the many cities that was on the well-traveled northern route that lead directly to the capital.  It was a 2-3 days ride, giving us plenty of time to set up Harley's trap.  

The weather held up and we made good time, stopping only to rest the horses when the need arose but otherwise pushing hard.  We made it to the forests outside the city and prepared.  

"Can you explain the plan one more time?" Julius asked, nervously, looking around.

"Ugghhh!  Fine!" Harley complained.  "So you and Cassius will be blocking the road with this wagon.  The wheel has come off.  When the convoy gets to this point and stops, the rest of will come out of the trees and surround them.  They were only planning on sending 4 or 5 slayers for this, so hopefully they back down and we don't have to kill them.  The-

"I'm fine with killin' em'!" Henrietta interrupted, with a grin.

"Ditto." Malakai agreed nodding.

"I would prefer not too!  I probably know them!" Harley replied, disgust in her voice. 

"You think they will let you live after this?  Fat chance!" Henrietta spat.

"She's right.  If we do this. . . It will essentially be declaring war on both the human realm and the giant realm!" Peter spoke up.  "Ant, you sure your sister is worth all that?"

"Meh. . . " was all the answer I cared to muster.

"Are you serious?!  She's your sister!" Harley shouted at me.  "That's all you have to say!?" 

"I'm the 2nd most wanted man in the world thanks to her only behind the giant kings assasin.  So yes, that's about the nicest thing I can say.  Believe me, we wouldn't be bothering to do any of this if it was anyone else. " I replied, casually.  

"I can't believe you!" Harley huffed, looking between myself and Jacob.

"She used to be one of us, up until she decided to become a kingdom slayer. Maybe now she sees the error in living your life for some manipulative, bottom feeding little worm!" Malakai said, putting in his two sense.

Harley looked amongst all of us and got the same hardened glance in return.

"All of you feel like that?!" She asked, bewildered by our group attitude toward the situation.

Nobody said anything to her.

"We should probably get started" Cassius interrupted, breaking the tension.


[ Everyone was in position.]  All of us slayers up in the tree tops out of view.  Cassius and Julius directly below us with a fully loaded wagon with the front wheel fallen off  completely blocking the road. 


From the cover of the trees, we spotted the caravan we were waiting on.  A large, heavily barred cage was being pulled by a slayer on foot.  It struck me as odd, and a moment later it struck me as to why. .  

The man was absolutely massive.  The tallest slayer I had ever seen.  He had to be all of 13 feet tall.  Too tall to ride a horse for sure.  And he wasn't all.

Walking to the lefy of the cell was a female slayer.  While not as big as the man, she too was bigger than any slayer I had ever seen, measuring in at least 10 feet tall.  To the right, another man, a 12 footer, and behind them, a second woman who had to be 13 feet as well and bringing up the rear was the tallest of them all.  A bearded man who would have been in his 40s in human years standing a whopping 15 feet tall and heavily muscled.


"You guys seeing this?" I whispered in disbelief.

"Super slayers." Harley answered from her perch between Peter and Malakai.

"Super slayers?" Jacob asked, a confused look on his face.

"The king's personal body guards. It started secretly thousands of years ago.  They bred the biggest, strongest slayers from every generation until they got what you see before you." She explained, worry in her voice.  "I was really hoping it wouldn't be them, but it seems that the king is serious about this peace mission."

"Are you going to try to bargain with them?" I asked, weighing our chances in a fight.

"Something tells me that would be a mistake. . . " Jacob spoke up.

"Just let me handle it. . . . Wait for my signal." Harley said, focusing on what was going on below us. 


The caravan stopped apprehensively about 100 feet away from the wagon.  The slayer pulling the cage let it go of it and began to walk to Julius and Cassius.

"Lawrence!  Get back in the caravan!" The bearded man barked.  "We aren't out here to deal with humans!" 

"Relax! It's just a wagon wheel!" The man "Lawrence"  replied, approaching Cassius and Julius as they struggled to lift the heavy wagon and get the wheel on.  The rest of them stayed back cautiously.

"Do you men need a hand? He asked, his tone surprisingly friendly.

"Yes sir!  I've been meaning to get the damn thing fixed and now it broke at the worst possible time!" Cassius said, putting on an acting clinic.

"That's usually how it goes, isn't it?" Lawrence agreed.  "Let me give it a try!"

With that, he knelt, still just as tall as either human, and grabbed the axle of the wagon, lifting it like it weighed nothing.  He took the wheel with his other hand and installed it axle and twisted the nut tight.

Cassius and Julius clapped their approval as he finished and stood up, dusting his hands off.

"There!  Nothing to i-

The man cut his sentence short as a stunned look came over his face.  He looked down to see a razor thin line of blood seeping threw his kingdom slayer cloak.  He reached down and dipped his finger in it, examining it, then staring up blankly at Cassius before his entire torso slid backward off of his legs and crashed to the ground, while his legs remained standing, shooting a fountain of blood. 

The entire forest was dead silent, in shock over what was happening. Nobody moved and the moment seemed to last an eternity before the silence was broken.

"KILL EM' ALL!" came the raspy battle cry of Henrietta, sword already drawn from the prayer she had just halved a man with. 

I don't think that even Lawrence could have picked Harley's jaw up off the ground as we all disregarded her diplomacy and dropped from the trees into full blown chaos.  Julius and Cassius  immediately mounted horses and bolted in the opposite direction to avoid being collateral damage in the fight.

"I got the big one!" Malakai shouted, forever the person to take on the toughest opponent. He had a headstart on the rest of us, and his trademark blue prayer forced the leader and the woman at his side to separate.

The man drew his own blade, a thick two-handed sword with a hand engraved blade.  He easily dodged the attack and returned fire with a gnarly red prayer that dwarfed Malakai's.

Malakai, being headstrong, decided to try to block it, paying the price as it pushed through him like he wasn't even there, sending him plummeting through trees and into the distance.

I chose to attack the woman that was closest to me on the left of the caravan.  A brunette in her human 30's.  I let a quick prayer fly but she quick drew her blade, a plain looking long sword and swinging it downwards, completely smashed my prayer like it was nothing. 

She also returned fire, but unlike Malakai, I decided to get out of the way of the brutal prayer, her giant body propelling it with a force I knew I couldn't perry.  It narrowly missed me as I dove to the side, cutting down a 30 foot wide swath of trees about 150 feet long. 

Immediately realizing I couldn't go toe to toe against her with prayers, I tried to close the distance and make the fight about skill in swordplay.  Getting in tight, I realized just how great the difference in size was between us.  It seemed surreal somehow.  I was used to fighting people I was only ankle height on but this was more daunting somehow as I stood literally about half her size.

We traded blows, looking for an opening  but the longer we went, the more the strength difference became apparent.  She barely seemed to expend any energy as I was battered this way and that.  

50 yards away, Jacob wasn't fairing much better against the man who had been closest to him, but he had Peter backing him up, sending out pinpoint prayers to create openings.  To the right of them, Henrietta was engaging the other woman who had been separated from the leader. They also weren't a close match and Henrietta was constantly on the defensive, getting pushed back and away from the rest of us.

Finally there was Harley, who seemed to know the leader of the caravan.  She was on the offensive, but her style was stiff and overly controlled.  Obviously some bogus form of the kingdom slayers.  It was as if she was trying to gain the man's approval, although it took minimal effort for him.  He dodged every swipe she took, without even drawing his sword.  He spoke calmly as he evaded her flurry.

"Just imagine it. . . . " he said, never taking his eyes off of her.  "A three by three cell for you to spend the rest of your days. Only a two inch square of sunlight reaches you, on the days it feels generous enough to shine. A fitting punishment for a kingdom deserter I would say."


Back in front of me, I was beginning to wear down, but I did see a brief opening in her defense, knocking her blade aside with my own, and delivering a heavy punch to her stomach.  She flew back, snapping trees and ending up in the brush about 75 yards away.  

I followed up, charging in but she had managed to stay on her feet and my momentum was extinguished by another horizontal, unblockable prayer.  I lept as high as I could to avoid it, but she had anticipated this reaction and was waiting for me in the air.

I did manage to block her heavy vertical swing, but I payed for it, being smashed down into the ground with a force that honestly felt like it rivaled Juliette's raw strength.  The air was already knocked out of me, so I could only watch as the woman fell from the height she had jumped, and drove her knees into my chest.  While she didn't weigh anywhere enough to crush me, It didn't exactly feel good either.  I counted my blessings as she easily could have killed me then in there.  It was honestly sort of suspicious.

As if she read my mind, she stood up and hauled me up by my shirt, my feet dangling as I was brought face to face with her.

"I bet you're wondering why I didn't just kill you, aren't you?" She asked, but apparently she had no intention of making small talk, because she raised a fist about the same size as my head, and delivered 3 quick punches to my face, only my cloak keeping me from being smashed back.

"That's because I know who you are, Antony Lockwood.  And I think the bounty on your head will be a nice little payday to end this quest!"  She explained, before so generously bestowing 3 more punched into my exposed face and one to my stomach before lifting me even higher, her arm fully extended above her head and slamming me back into the ground in a small cloud of dust.

"But make no mistake. . .While I'm not going to kill you, I am going to beat you to within an inch of your life, then make you watch us finish off any of your friends who are still alive at that point." She continued, again dragging me from the dirt, and this time hurling me with all of her strength at a massive tree.  

I collided with it, and while it was much too thick to snap completely in half, it did splinter and bend, leaving jagged edges protruding while I was sent flipping off into the thick brush yards away.

I was in a complete haze and I couldn't see straight, when I felt a hand grab my shirt and lift me once again only this time I was just set on my feet.  I shook my head to clear it as Jacob came into focus, hiding behind a tree to my left.Apparently he and peter must have found some success because Peter was off assisting Henrietta now.

Jacob motioned to my left, and using the blade of my sword as a mirror, I looked around the tree and saw the woman casually stalking my way about 60

"So this is the great Antony Lockwood hmm? I must admit, that after hearing about you defeating Juliette, and your siege on the mine, and even more recently how you saved that entire city from 15 giants. . . Even I began to believe the hype, you know? Like maybe we did have a chance in this fucked up war.  I even imagined what ig might be like to stand shoulder to shoulder with you on the battlefield." She dialogued as she quietly hunted me down, likely convinced that I was laying unconscious on the ground somewhere.

"But no. . . When I finally get to meet you. . . You're no more than some snot nosed little coward, who hides from his opponent, and relies on ambushes and cheap parlor tricks!" She spat, trying to goad me into giving up my hiding place and attacking her.

I continued to watch her close the distance until finally when she was about 20 yards away, I gave my brother the nod.

"Three. . .two. . .one" he mouthed to me silently, before he rolled out from behind the tree to his right.


Jacob charged a rough, blue prayer and sent it screaming toward the woman.  He was spot on accurate.  As soon as he stepped out from behind the tree, the female slayer had spotted him and in a natural and lightning fast response, dodged his vertical prayer, sliding to her left.  Unfortunately for her, while she had easily anticipated Jacob, she had ultimately been distracted and failed to see me energe from the right side of my own tree and conjure up a prayer of my own.

As soon as she had dodged her fate was sealed as her slight movement was enough to bring her directly into the path of my attack.  My prayer screamed low to the ground and at the last moment arched upward.  She didn't even see it coming, and it's always the one you don't see that will get you, my father used to say.  This was the case here as the prayer dispatched her in a second, cleanly lopped off her head, as her body continued in her dodge and collapsed in a heap on the ground.

Meanwhile her head flew up 20 feet in the air, before tumbling into the forest floor with a heavy thud.  Unfortunately, I would never get to know how I stacked up against her image of me now, but they say never meet your heroes.

We hastily returned to the road to find that the others had been successful in their own battles and they stood now in a semi-circle, watching Harken struggle against the enemy leader.  None of us lifted a finger to help.  It seemed as though this was something she needed to do on her own, although it wasn't going well.

By now she was winded and moving slower.  Still she pressed forward but if it wasn't obvious before that he could have killed her at any moment, it was now.  As if to highlight the point, he suddenly countered her, hitting her in the stomach with the hilt of his sword, doubling her over before punching her in the face and sending her smashing through a row of trees.  

This time, she didn't rise and appeared to be unconscious. I was the only one who knew about her deal with the death goddess, and I really did expect her to use that ability now but to my surprise, she stayed down.  It was then that I noticed my sister and her two lackeys walking up from the cage that Cassius had successfully unlocked after doubling back from their escape.

The leader glanced around at his opposition, seeing that none of his comrades had survived.  He looked visibly distressed and his once arrogant attitude faded away.  

"So. . . . This is how the world ends, huh?" The man asked, sheathing his sword.  "I always thought that it would be stupid humans that burned the place down, yet here you are.  Willing to give up the entire realm to save 3 average kingdom slayers. . . . It's. . . Backward, to say the least."

By now, every one of us had hands on our swords, ready to obliterate the man.

"Well I'll tell you this. . " He continued.  "I'm not dying for it!" He exclaimed, swinging his sword and sending a prayer through the dirt causing a massive dust cloud.  When the cloud finally cleared, he had disappeared.

"Were you assholes just going stand there and let him kill her!" Came my sister's voice, cutting through the silence.

And just like that. . . I regretted the decision to save her.

"She. . Looked like she had it under control." I answered as I began to walk away, my companions following suit.  Only my sister went to check on Harken.

"Where are you guys going now?!" The female slayer Olivia asked, as if not wanting to be left behind.

"Saving you was only half the plan.  We head west for a rendezvous with Florence." I replied, none of us really looking to do more than the minimum amount of socializing with our 3 new party members.

"Why. . . Why would you go seeking her out?" The man, Jag stammered.  It seemed he had never regained his confidence after his near death experience in Leonara's clutches.

"You lot are free to do whatever you want." I said simply, as my crew loaded up in our wagons, which were up the road a ways.  We also added the cage to our convoy.  "Although it looks like you could use some food, and clean clothes.

My sister looked down at her tattered clothes.  For as loyal as anyone was to the king, he would throw them to the wolves in a heartbeat and that was the case here.  They had been stripped of all their possessions and only had their swords because the king thought it would be a nice gift to the giants.

Without a word, she jumped on the back of the last wagon as it left.  Her companions hesitated but ultimately joined her and a bigger, better party was formed, ready to take on Florence, the largest living being in the world.

Chapter 29 by Stevie

"I just want to say thank you. . . . For saving us." My sister said as she sat down beside me by the campfire.  "We. . . Thought it was a noble thing to do. . . Turning ourselves in.  But the king. . . . " she trailed off.

"Don't thank me, it was Harken's idea." I said, staying humble.

"Ant. . . If she decides to stay with your party, please look out for her.  She is a good kid, and we both know there are so many mistakes a slayer can make out here." Abby said, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"And what will you do?" I asked, staring into the fire.

"I will join you again. . . If you'll have me.  I don't regret most of my time as a kingdom slayer, but I see now that we were only ever sacrifices to be thrown away at a moments notice.  Any self worth we had was fabricated over generations, but we never really made a serious impact.  And here you are. . . My scrawny little brother and his gang of misfits. Out on the front line taking on the biggest and baddest and actually shifting the tide and making a difference. I'm proud of you Ant.  Both you and Jacob."

I said nothing, just letting her words sink in.  It meant a lot.  I didn't always get along with her, but she also didn't just go around handing out compliments either, so this was a special moment.

"And them?" I asked finally, glancing toward the other two kingdom slayers, who were talking with Harley at the dinner table.

"Olivia is good to go.  I'm not her superior anymore so I can't force her to fight, but I think she would join. . . . Jag. . . He. . That day at the mine. Being so helpless against that woman. . . Something broke in him.  I don't honestly think that he will even be here in the morning, let alone willing to fight when the time comes. " she said, pity in her voice.


She was correct.  In the morning Jag was gone, his sleeping roll packed up and there was no sign of him.  We all began to pack when suddenly Peter, who had rode ahead to scout, came riding back into camp, though it should have been much longer to his return.  His face was paler than I had ever seen it.

"We have a problem." Was all he said.


He wasn't wrong.  As we stared out of the treeline on the edge of the massive clearing that used to be a battle field for humans, we definitely had a problem.  A tall, skinny, raven-haired problem.

"It was supposed to be Florence!" Harley said half defensively, half panicked.

"Well, this changes everything." Peter said, worry in his voice as well.  "The ambush was also supposed to take place in a city.  Even with far superior numbers, she could just easily outrun us here.  Not to mention the fact that she knows most of us!  That means Ant, myself, Abby and the other on and possibly even Malakai are off the table for going out there.  Hell, depending on how sharp Juliette is, she may have been able to accurately describe every one of us from that battle we had with her."

"I wouldn't count on her being too bright.  You know how blondes are!" I replied, cracking a grin.

Both Henrietta and Harley scowled daggers at me.


"We can handle it!" Harley said, trying to sound courageous.

"I don't know. . . I don't like this." Peter replied, before walking away.

A half hour later we had a plan and were in position.  Jacob, Henrietta, Malakai and Harley would go to meet Leonara.  My sister and Olivia would be in the unlocked cage, with their swords hidden on the roof of it. When the moment was right, they would all attack, shredding any and all opposition.  If the initial attack didn't kill her, the rest of us would come to their aid and finish the job.

At least that was the idea anyway.  In reality, Leonara had picked the perfect place to put us at the ultimate disadvantage.  She had picked one of the 5 ancient battlefields in the human realm.  Nicknamed the chute, because in the center on the west side was a massive hill where the massive trees had been cleared to get weapons of war on to the field.  It was a massive 5 mile by 10 mile flat, open, expanse with no cover for slayers too hide behind or underneath and nothing to impede a giants movement.  

 It was worst case scenario for us.


We wished the party good luck, and got to the tree tops to watch.  I observed Leonara and her guards, waiting to see their reaction to noticing us.  Jacob in the lead, he passed the edge of the trees and-

What was that? 

I could have sworn I saw Jacob flinch and almost collapse as he walked out of the trees. . . . Th-there it was again.  Henrietta and Harley almost buckled as well, followed by Malakai pulling the cage.  It seemed so familiar some how. . . 

Still they pressed on down the single solitary path that passed through the battlefield.  By now, Leonara had noticed them, waiting patiently for them to approach, her two male guards to her left and right, but well behind her.  It was an odd sight to behold, as she stood head and shoulders taller than them.

30 minutes later the party had finally made it the 2.5 miles to the midway of the chute.


[ Jacob stopped 150 feet in front of her.]

"You must be the representatives from the king.  I've been awaiting your arrival.  What do I call you?" Leonara asked, politely.

"Indeed we are" said Jacob, bowing his head.  The others followed suit. "My name is Alexander Hammersford." He said, without hesitation.

There was a brief moment of silence as they looked each other.  Harley shivered  under the scrutiny of Leonara's gaze. She was. . . Enormous!  The descriptions didn't do her any justice.  Some of the giants she had fought with Ant would only be stomach height on her. . . 

Unconsciously, Harken's hand moved to her axe handle.

"Easy." Came the voice of Malakai behind her.

She loosened her grip.

"I won't waste too much of your time.  Can I take a look at the fugitives please?" Leonara asked, again very politely as she pointed to the cage.  "If all is well, then we'll be on way and there will be peace again between us."

"By all means." Jacob replied, motioning the way with his arm. 

"Thank you." Leo answered, closing the distance between them in 3 steps. 

The humongous woman reached down, palming the cage with one hand and lifted it to her face.  Instinctively, Olivia recoiled from the giant icy blue eye taking her in.  Abigail was more stoic.  She held on to the thick bars for stability but didn't give Leonara the satisfaction of any more than that.

Leo held the cage for a moment, before placing it back on its wheels and walking back to her original position.

"Hmm. . . . I see there are only two fugitives here?  You'll forgive me. . . This was originally my sister's treaty and she asked me to stand in her stead at the last moment, but I was sure she said "three fugitives". " Leonara stated, acting slightly confused and deferring to Jacob.

"We had an unfortunate. . . . Incident early in on the journey here.  We did debate it, but ultimately figured that a smelly corpse was not something we wanted to present to such royalty." Jacob explained, not missing a beat.

"Oh wow!  That is unfortunate. . . But I'm  sure we can still come to some sort of agreement.  That also means that I can let-" Leonara began, reaching into a pocket on her skirt. "-my little friend here go as well" she finished, as she fished a human sized man out of her pocket,dangling him, his cloak wadded up in her fist.  He was unmoving and looked like he had been beaten severely.

"And who might that be?" Jacob asked, with no reaction so to speak.

"I was hoping that you would known him." Leo answered, optimism in her voice.  "We found him wandering along the road in the middle of the night." She added, reading Jacob.

"Dangerous times to be roaming out here alone." Was the answer he gave her, smooth as ice.

"Dangerous times indeed" Leonara agreed, as the two titans of acting expertly exchanged blows.  "But lucky for him, he is in the clear now!  You don't know him, so obviously he can't be involved with you or your party!" She said, excitment in her voice as she bent at the waist and extended her arm to place the man on the ground, but pulled back at the last moment.

"Although. . . . He did say some things that are troubling me. . ." Leonara said, worry in her voice as she brought the man up to her face, studying him with the same practiced worry in her eyes as well, before her gaze again shifted to Jacob and in the same distance any softness was gone and her eyes could freeze fire. 

"Speak your troubles!" Jacob goaded, unfazed. 


"Well, he too spoke of a party of giant slayers. Protecting precious cargo no less!  Only this party was not so fortunate as your own. . . . All but one, wiped out.  Executed like dogs in the street by bandits. . . Marauders if you will.  They stole the cargo, which was to be a gift for all of humanity!" Leonara explained, spinning the yarn like a practiced storyteller.  "He barely managed to escape them with his life, fleeing in terror from what these marauders planned to do next!

Jacob just stared at the giantess before him, cocking his head to the side as he scratched an it on his chin.

"So this. . . . Half-dead man, had ALL that to say, did he?" Was how he chose to counter, though he felt the moment beginning to slip out of his control.

"He did! But he wasn't just a master weaver of tales, but also a great soothsayer!  He predicted this moment would happen. He predicted that slayers. . . Not matching the detailed description I had been given by the king himself would present themselves to me.  And these slayers would not be here to achieve peace, but to carry out an assassination!" Leonara exclaimed, finally laying all her cards out on the table.

"Thats-" Jacob began

"And now here you are, not matching the description given to me, but also perfectly matching the description that this man gave me of the slayers this man claimed would come to kill me!" She shouted, shaking Jag violently, before tossing him to the ground in disgust.  He plummeted 75 feet down and out a good 50 feet, landing flat on his front and coming to an immediate halt, face down..  he never budged from that spot and it was unclear if he was even still alive. 


"Get ready. ." Malakai whispered in Harley's ear.

"Well I. . . We. . . " Jacob stammered. "your highness. . . Please."


Three. .two. .one

All at once, all hell broke loose. . . 


Or at least it should have.


The slayers DID draw their weapons.  They DID summon a flurry of prayers to cut the giantess and her guards to ribbons. The giants were even maybe even momentarily caught off guard.The problem was what it amounted to.


Nothing more than the humbling sounds of swords and an axe whiffing nothing but air as the strange feeling in their souls rose up and made perfect sense now.  Genuine bewilderment plastered on all 4 visible faces as their prayers failed them for the first time in their entire lives.  There was a painfully long pause where nobody said anything or even moved.

"Now. . . Would be a really good time to run." Leonara said, her voice eerily calm.  

As the realization that they were completely helpless and exposed hit everyone, they didn't need to be told twice.  Immediately they turned and bolted for the tree row they had come from as Leonara gave chase.

Her first footfall landed directly on Jag, his body disappearing beneath her boot sole with a modest crunch.  It wasn't apparent if he had been alive a minute ago, but he was definitely dead now as Leonara stepped off of him, revealing the gruesome pancake below.  She took another exaggerated, heavy step, and another, this one kicking the cage aside just as Olivia and Abby managed to escape. It tumbled away, the wooden wheels and frame splintering.


She was right on their heels but after a moment, it was clear that she was only playing with them, cat and mouse style.  She could easily catch them but thought it more entertaining to watch them scramble in fear for 2.5 miles on foot.  It was made even more humorous by the fact that her footsteps were so concussive that when they were off time, the slayers were actually bumped off of their feet, stumbling and constantly losing their balance as they scrambled for safety.


This continued as the distance to the trees closed.  She was just about in range now, but she was not to be underestimated.  The information she had literally squeezed out of Jag had been correct so far so she knew that there had to be a few more slayers hiding somewhere.  Likely Ant and by the description, a former pet of hers: Peter. 

Her assumption was correct as suddenly a prayer screamed from the trees but just like her sister, she quick drew her sword, spun, and ejected the prayer up into the sky.  She waited, but nothing more happened as the last slayer disappeared into the trees.


"That's right! Scurry off into the trees like the little mice you are! The same as last time.  Just know. . . I'm coming for you this time.  This was actually a mission for peace, but I do enjoy the hunt." Leonara said, before turning and walking back toward her guards.

That should have been the end of it.  We should have regrouped with Monty and Darius, and planned our next move. . . . 

That isn't what happened.

I was on my way down the tree, when I spotted Malakai walking back out into the field after Leonara.

It took me a moment to even fathom it, let alone respond as I jumped the 40 feet to the ground and ran to the edge of the field.  I could feel the strange pull of Leonara's special prayer.  The same one that had been at Juliette's cabin at the mine. 

"Malakai!" I shouted, multiple times but he just ignored as he picked up his pace to catch the giantess.

"Hey!" He shouted, and Leonara stopped walking, only turning her head to look over her shoulder at him.

"Send your sister my condolences!" Malakai said with a toothy grin, his sword resting on his shoulder.

This had her attention now and she turned fully around, towering a mile over Malakai as she stepped up to him, mere yards between them.  Malakai had to crane his neck all the way back to even regard her.

"I apologize.  If I had been a little more accurate, I could have killed that poor girl! Maybe managed to save her the shame of not being able to walk anymore!" Malakai continued, grinning from ear to ear.

Leonara just stared down at him.  She didn't reply, but she clenched her fists, the first genuine show of emotion since they had arrived.

That was all the opening Malakai needed as he grabbed his sword by the hilt, and hurled it like a spear at her face.  His previous comment had actually struck a nerve, because although she saw it coming and reacted, moving her head, the projectile grazed her cheek and cut off a few strands of her hair as it sailed by and off into the distance.

Malakai stood his ground, waiting, but none of us were ready for what happened next. . . 

Quicker than I had ever seen a giant move, Leonara lashed out with a vicious stomp that threatened to crack the very earth.

The next thing I remembered was Henrietta screaming in terror.  It all seemed to happen in slow motion.  Leonara lifting her boot and Malakai nowhere to be seen, presumably in the crater made by the massive sole, as the ground around it had been pushed up to accommodate it.  Leonara stood for what seemed like an eternity, her piercing eyes trained on the flattened man before her.  It felt like I was stuck on my knees, unable to stand and forced, powerless, to do anything to this giant before me. 

Finally Leonara's eyes shifted to the treeline, perhaps expecting retaliation.  She found none, and with that she turned and continued to walk back to where the guards had finished packing up.  She paused only briefly to collect the cage, which was made of slayer steel and incredibly valuable, and Malakai's sword, which she tucked into a pouch on her hip.

That should have been the end.  We should have retreated into trees, waited for her to leave, and then layed Malakai to rest, proper.  But that isn't what happen. . . . Instead, something I could have never predicted occurred.

Just as Leonara and her guards began to head toward the chute, a nasty wind howled through the field, which was fortune for her, because the arrow shot at her only a second before was taken off course and instead found it's mark in the chest of the guard to her left.  He groaned, sliding off of his horse and crashing to the ground.

"Ambush!" Leonara shouted as 3 orange skinned giants rode out from the tall trees on the west side of the field, bows drawn. 

She and the other guard turned and rode north, trying to put distance between them, but they were quickly overtaken as an arrow flew over her shoulder.   Her horse slid to a stop as her path was cut off by one of the riders.  She tried to turn around, but a 2nd rider was there to surround them.  A moment later, the 3rd rider lept from his horse, tackling Leonara off of her own horse and to the ground, knocking the wind out of her and covering her in scrapes and knicks.

The guard clanged swords with the man in front of him as they rode and tried to out maneuver each other.  Leonara rolled back and forth with her attacker before using her superior size to get on top of him, punching him twice in the face before he threw her off to the side as she fought to catch her breath.She rolled, as they both drew their swords, the man's a short blade commonly used by giants of the western tribes.

By now the other man had dismounted and drew his weapon as well, a large dagger.  They squared off with Leonara, utilizing a wide spread.  She held her sword in front of her with two hands, ready to wield it for power rather than speed as she breathed deeply.  She knew she had them both beat in terms speed anyway despite her size.  The man with the sword made the first move coming at her with a wild vertical swing.  

Leo blocked it, sliding to her left as they shifted positions.  The man with the dagger hung back, knowing he was no match in terms of range. Her visible eye bore through them both as she waited for either to make a move.  Again, the man with the sword attacked, this time horizontally.  Again Leonara blocked, stopping his blade while pointing the tip of her sword down to the ground and freeing up her left hand, punching him hard in the face. 

He staggered back, his guard broken and Leonara saw her opening, lopping his head off with a single, clean, diagonal swing of her sword. His body fell straight back and flat on his back. 

She shook the blood from her sword, then turned her attention to the man with the dagger, this time tip down and in her left hand. The man stepped to his right his grip light on the dagger as they began to circle.  Leo's face was perfectly calm.  This was her element and where she felt most alive.

As they circled, the man found what he was looking for.  A patch of dirt in the grass.  He dug his foot in, kicking dirt in Leonara's face to create an opening as he charged in.  It may have worked, but it was a tactic that Leo herself often used, and she turned her head enough to avoid getting dirt in her eyes.  It did get the man inside the range of her sword, but she caught his wrist above his head in her free hand as he went to stab her.

He strained against her, but her height and strength advantage were sizable and she was easily keeping his hand from pushing even an inch closer.  This in turn created an opening as Leonara reared her head back and headbutted the smaller man.

His legs buckled and he was pounded to his knees like a stake, his wrist still being held in her hand.  Blood trickled down his forehead and into his eyes.  Leonara wasted no time, squeezing his wrist.  He screamed and his grip loosened, dropping the dagger.

The man was completely defenseless now but it didn't much matter.  A brutal knee to the face busted him up and put him flat on his back.  He stared up at the clouds one last time, before Leo plunged her sword through his chest.


She rested her head on the hilt of her sword, saying a quick, quiet word of prayer to the gods, before looking up to see that the guard had also defeated his foe, but had taken heavy damage.  
She stared at the two dead giants before her.  Their lineage was obvious, but them being here now was what was troubling her.

"Do you recognize them, your highness?" The guard asked, confused as he held  gash on his stomach.

"Not by name or face, no.  But the marks on their necks say it all.  They were slaves from the mining operation. And they were using the weapons we were producing there!"  That day, Antony Lockwood and his companions set some free.  Knowing they couldn't well stay in the giant realm, they must have made their way here." Leonara explained.  "This was about as perfect for them as it was for me against the slayers."

"Do you think there will be more?" The guard questioned, scanning the tree row along the west side.
"I wouldn't doubt it.  It's really not what I need right now.  I have those slayers right where I want them, and all it would take is some desperate fool to screw everything up." Leonara said, as she put her sword away.
Two hours later, they finished burying their comrade, and mounted up, deciding it best to head northwest in case any more assailants were waiting for them.


They pressed on for the rest of the day, wanting to outpace what the slayers could ride in a few days time, before they finally made camp.  Leonara took the time to nurse the man's wound by the fire.

"Hold still!. . . . You've lost a good amount of blood." She said, as  She finished wrapping him tightly before going to work with a wet cloth, cleaning the smaller wounds and scratches. "How did you even manage to get this cut up?  I'm the one who got tackled!" She exclaimed as she kept finding new wounds.

The man just sat in silence, mildly enjoying the attention as the princess fussed over him.  He stole as gaze upon her as she worked, her own body still in need of attention.  For one of the rare occasions he had seen, her hair was completely out of her face and both eyes were visible.

"What?" She asked, feeling self conscious.

"Nothing. . . It's just. . . Such a stark contrast.  Seeing you on the battlefield, scrambling through the dirt and going toe to toe with grown men. . . Then here you are, patching me up." The man said, sheepishly.

"Ughh!  Contrary to popular belief, I don't cause death and destruction EVERYWHERE I go!" Leo exclaimed, crossing her eyes to show how dumb that notion was.  "I do what I have to do to survive, but I AM nice if you are a part of our kingdom."


"Well. . . . Thank you for this." The man said, as he just looked into the campfire.

"Alright. . . This is going to feel. . . . Strange.  Hold still." Leonara said, as she held her hands a few inches over his wound, closing her eyes.

For a brief time nothing happened.

"Your highness?. . ." The man asked, awkwardly.

"Shut up!  I need to concentrate!" She replied, her voice sassy.

A moment later, blue light emitted from her hands, and the gash began to close and heal itself.

The man's eyes got wide, but he didn't dare speak until she was finished, leaving barely a scar.

"Your highness! Was that?" He exclaimed, unable to believe his eyes.

"Yes.  It was a prayer. . . . Like THEY use." She confirmed, wiping sweat from her hands, and covering the man with a cloth. 

"How. . . When?" He babbled.

"It's a long story.  It's not what you think though.  I can't use it for attacks or anything.  Only healing and only on others.  Those wretched gods granted me power no giant has ever had, then purposely stuck me with the opposite of what I wanted.  Although it did help me to save my sister's life, so for that I am thankful." Leonara said, humbly.

The man just stared at her in amazement.

"Would you stop looking at me like that!  You're making it weird. . ." She complained, turning away cutely.

"I'm sorry, your highness!  It's just that I've never seen anything like that!" The man admitted, yawning.

"Well. . . Whatever.  You need your rest.  Lay down and I'll keep watch tonight." Leonara said, poking the fire with a stick.

"Your highness, I'm supposed to be YOUR guard, not vice versa." He tried to argue. 

"How about we watch each other's backs, hmm? I'm taking first shift!  Now lay down!" Leonara explained, like she was talking to an annoying child.  

He only nodded, laying down on his cot with a groan.  





*
When we were sure that they were gone, we emerged from the trees and set about laying our own dead to rest.  Nobody spoke as we placed wooden cross markers on both Malakai and Jag's graves.  The silence continued on for the rest of the day and into the night until Peter came back from scouting, reporting that he found 4 large obelisks, one at each corner of field.  He wasn't able to destroy them, but getting them out of line with each other was able to break the effect.  Even knowing this, it was still a troubling thought. 

While Juliette had been more than formidable, a legend in her own right. . . . Leonara was on another level.  Still she needed to be dealt with, and this time there would be no escaping us.

Chapter 30 by Stevie

It was decided that we weren't yet ready to hunt down Leonara.  My sister and Olivia were both in pretty terrible shape.  It turns out that the other slayers had taken some liberties with their custody and as such, they were weak, bruised, and malnourished.  One benefit of being this far north, was that there was one place we could go for shelter and a meal that wasn't made out of a giant metal pot.


We emerged from the trees on the east side onto the 5th and final battle field in the 50 mile stretch of them that were divided by tree rows, and there it was.  The strange looking house built in the center of the field.  After another 30 minutes of walking, we finally neared it.

"Who did you say lives here?" Harken asked, wearily.
"I didn't. . " I replied, ominously.

Just as I did, a flock of birds flew out from the trees before it became dead silent. . . . . A moment later a young, male giant burst out of the trees, sword in hand and charging straight for us.  The party stopped, and Harken went to draw her axe, but I put a hand on her shoulder to show her it was alright, as my brother, sister and I kept casually walking forward.

The giant reached my sister first, sliding to a stop, kicking up dirt and swinging his sword downward on her.  She drew her own sword, blocking him overhead.  Then, implementing the same technique Henny uses, she stabbed his sword, causing it to vibrate extremely harshly and forcing it to drop out of his hand.

Next I made my move, running to Abby and having her launch me by the arm toward the giant.  Her aim was true, and I delivered a devastating punch to his stomach, doubling him over. Jacob followed me, and Abby threw him even higher, and he planted a kick right to his forehead.  He tipped backward, stunned, and Jacob rode him to the ground.
  He landed flat on his back as Jacob stepped off of his face and we all just kept walking.  

"Your form is still horrible, little brother."  Abby said, as she walked around the giant and followed her brothers into the house.

Harken's jaw was on the ground as the whole party casually walked around the giant, who opted to stay down, spread eagle, She walked into the house, to see Ant, Jacob and Abby exchanging hugs with an older slayer woman who looked a lot like Abby.  A man sat in a chair by the fireplace, and shook hands with Ant and Jacob with a smile as they sat down in other chairs beside him.  The rest of the party made themselves at home as if nothing was amiss but Harley couldn't get over the other half of the house.

"Harley, this is our mother, Gwendolyn and him over there is Jarvis, our father." Abby explained to her.

"What is that. . . ?" Harley asked blankly, pointing across the room to the addition to the house.

"That's just James and Magnolia's side of the house. Our little brother and sister." Abby replied, casually.

"That boy outside was your brother?!" She asked, in disbelief.

"Giants?  Yes.  Long story short, my parents found them as babies and decided to raise them.

"Wasn't that boy. . . . Small for his age?" Harley asked, trying not to be rude.

"Yes.  He and his sister are only 50 feet tall. When giants are raised outside of their own, they don't grow anywhere near as big as they would if they were with their kind. "

Harley still had one million questions but the boy, who looked like he was probably 16 in human years, entered the house through the giant sized door.  He sat down in a giant chair with a grin on his face to accompany a welt from where Jacob had dropped him.


"What are you guys doing home?" He asked, a wheeze in his voice from where I had punched him in the stomach.

"We were in the area and needed somewhere to rest." Jacob replied, turning his chair to face both his father and giant brother.

"I heard you beat Juliette!" James exclaimed, leaning down to hear the tale, but nobody felt like talking about it after what had just happened.

"We did, but that story will have to wait.  We've had a long past few days and need rest and a bath." I said, standing up and walking to the back of house to the door that led to the bathhouse, behind the actual house.  It was the one thing I missed about home.  My parents had gone all out on it and it was the one place in the realm where a person could get a hot water bath.

"And just how long do you plan on staying?" Gwendolyn asked Abby, a serious look on her face but keeping her voice down. "We don't exactly have space for this many people."

"Mother, you literally have space enough for two giants!  But if it bothers you that much, we will Be gone in a few days!" Abby spat.  "We lost two in the last battle and we need a minute!"

"Your father and I feel for you, but we also don't need you to bring the war with you.  You and your brother. . . . Antony's bounty. . . " her mother replied, struggling to be sympathetic.  "The village has been spared so far, being so remote, and we would like to keep it that way.

Abigail didn't respond.  There wasn't much she could say to that. Turning, she left and went outside to get air.  Meanwhile the rest of the party went into the trees to hunt for food for supper.  They talked as they walked.

"So what's the plan here?  We need action!" Julius said, as he stepped around trees and brush.

"Easy to say when you aren't the one fighting. . ." Jacob said, quietly.

"Hey!  Cassius and myself are in the danger just as much as you guys!  Our role just isn't fighting!" Julius defended.

"We need to be careful!  This isn't some big dumb villager we are dealing with here! You saw that! She is the smartest foe we have ever fought!  Maybe the smartest person in the world! And I know it goes without saying,but we were barely able to beat her younger, smaller, less strategic sister.  And now we are without Malakai. . ." Jacob ranted.

"Enough, Jacob!  We all get it!" Henrietta shouted.  "I miss him. . . . That idiot. . . With his stupid laugh. . . And that dumb grin!  That bitch needs to pay, there's no question about that.  And there's nobody better for the job than us!  As soon as Darius gets his ass up here, we're gonna put her in the ground!

"And how do you plan to deal with the fact that she can stop our prayers?  She could have easily stomped us all if she wanted to! She was playing with us and She crushed your friend in one step!" Olivia chimed in, as she threw a knife, curving it around a tree and sticking a deer.  

"You should wanna get revenge as much as anyone!" Henny replied, pushing a branch out of her way.  "You saw what she did to your man."

"Two of our men. . . And yeah I want revenge, but I also don't want to die in vain!" Olivia said, pulling the knife out and throwing the deer over her shoulders.  "I just can't. . . "

They all remained silent at the sentiment.  None of them feared death, but it seemed their current path would likely lead there unless they increased their power.

"What about your brother?  The giant?" Harley asked, jumping and catching another deer. 

"What about him?" Jacob asked, stopping to pick some berries off of a bush. 

"Is he going to fight?" She asked, humanely killing the deer, and throwing it over her own shoulders. 

Jacob chuckled.  "He wants to, but you saw him.  Too big to be a slayer, too small to be a giant.  Awkward as all get out."

"Does anyone really have a choice at this point?  We don't even know how many slayers are left at this point!" Harley said,  making a valid point.

"At least out here on the front lines anyway!  I'm sure all you kingdom slayers are safe and sound, barricaded behind that 300 foot wall.  As far away from any giants as you can be!" Henrietta interrupted, motioning to both Harley and Olivia. 

Neither girl had a response for her.  They knew she was right.  Olivia for sure, as she had been personally handed over to die by the king.  The truth about the kingdom was all too apparent, but Harley had been raised from birth to believe in it, and Olivia had joined, thinking she could better serve the realm.

"Lay off of them, Henny!  We all make mistakes." Jacob said, stepping in.

"Don't even get me started on you, Jakey-boy" Henrietta spat, bumping shoulders with him as she passed, on her way back to the house.  "You and that black-haired whore! The way you two were gettin' along back there!  I thought you were gonna fuck right there on the battlefield!"

"I was just doing my part of the plan!" Jacob said, throwing his hands up.

"Yeah, whatever.  The smell of that trademark Lockwood bullshit is real heavy around here!" Henrietta replied, before she was gone.

They all followed suit, having enough food for a few days and that's when they saw her.  A giant girl in a blue dress with white flowers, walking up the road, pulling a wagon of the same proportion behind her.

"That must be your "sister". . .?" Olivia asked, skeptical of the whole family situation they had going on.

"Yes.  That's Magnolia.  Maggy." Jacob said, looking happy to see her.

"Are you going to kick her in the forehead or. . . . ?" Cassius asked with a chuckle.

"Decidedly not!" Jacob laughed. "But she might take it better than her brother!"

The girl had slowed down and looked at them nervously, until she realized that it was Jacob, where she dropped the wagon handle and ran over, covering the distance in about 5 seconds.


"Jacob!" She squealed in delight as she crashed to her knees and scooped the man off of his feet and held him like a doll in front of her, looking him over before hugging him to her chest.

"He-hello Maggy!" He said, struggling to breathe in her tight grip.

"What are you doing here?!" She asked, her voice still shrill with joy as she held him at arms length.  "Is Ant with you?!"

"Yes, Ant is inside.  We thought it might be nice to stop by for a visit.  It's been a few years since we'd seen all of you!" Jacob said, squirming in her hands until she got the message and placed him back on the ground.

"Oh I can't wait to see him, she exclaimed, clapping her hands as she stood up and ran around to the big side of the house.

"Hey!" Jacob shouted, stopping her in her tracks. "Abby is in there too!" Jacob informed her with a grin.

The girl wrinkled her nose cutely in disgust before her smile returned and she continued back to the house.

"She's. . . Actually pretty normal. . ." Cassius commented as they began walking again.  "I expected blood stains on her dress or something else fucked up.  Typical Lockwood shit." He finished with a grin.

"Unfortunately not.  She isn't in the family business of slaughtering poor bastards like the rest of us." Jacob replied,  laughing.  "After raising 3 blood-thirsty monsters, my parents decided to try to raise her and her brother differently.  James still wants to fight, although his size makes it difficult train him.  Maggy has grown up about as normal as someone in her unique position can anyway." Jacob explained as they neared the house.

"Where was she coming from?  Where does the road lead?" Olivia asked, looking down the path that disappeared into the trees to the east.

"The city is down that way."

"What city is it?  Towns seem more few and far between this far north." Cassius observed, as he began gutting Olivia's deer.

"Lockwood." Jacob answered, as he started in on the other.

"Pshh!  I still can't believe there is a village named after you!" Henrietta huffed, folding her arms.  

"You're jealous, I know!" Jacob replied with a grin.

"Yeah right!  Come say that to me when you've cracked 6'5, little one!" Henrietta fired back, hitting him with the low blow about his height.  "You might wake up tomorrow and the girl will be taller than you!" She finished, nodding in Harley's direction before also walking inside.

"Pfff!" Jacob replied, trying to put on an air of arrogance, but glancing nervously at Harley, sizing her up.


When the food was done, they all gathered around the table, while the giants sat at their own table on the big side.  I would have liked to keep conversation to a minimum, but James kept asking questions.

"Can I hear the Juliette story now or what?!" He said, stuffing food in his mouth.

I looked around the table to the others.

"Cassius. . . Tell him the tale." I said, keeping my head down and my face stuffed with food.

He never really needed to be told twice to tell a story.

"Well. . . It began when young Antony here was hired by a town to slay her." He began and continued to tell the tale of how Juliette crushed me in that town, sparing no detail.

"Can we just skip this part please?" I asked, annoyed as my deficiencies were layed bare. 

"Oh no!  I'm telling the entire tale!" Cassius said with a grin.

"I mean. . . You weren't even there for that part." I argued.

"Yeah well, It was described to me in great detail and from every angle by the kind villagers!" Cassius laughed.

"We can vouch for that" Abby chimed in as she ate at the opposite end of the table.  "We saw the crater she made out of him, 5 feet deep."

"One more foot and that's a dirt nap!" My charming father added, and everyone but me laughed about as hard as they could.

"Yuck it up you bastards!  I'm the only one in the world who's faced her 3 times and survived!" I shouted, barely over the laughter.

"Back in my day, we didn't need three times to get the job done, son." My father replied, challenging me.  

"Back in your day, the average giant was 75 feet tall, old man." I shot back, knowing it would cut deep.  "Leonara is literally twice that. . . . And besides that, I don't see you rushing to the front lines, now!" 

Jarvis stared me down, but I didn't take my eyes off of him.

"We are too old to be jumping in on every fight.  Peace is something we've lived without, so forgive us for not being in a hurry to throw it away!" My mother added, breaking the tension between us.  "If the city is attacked, we will defend it with our lives, but we aren't going to chase these giants down."

Everyone was quiet for a moment as we soaked in the sentiment.

"We need to get in the fight!" James exclaimed, pounding his fist on the table. "I can't take anymore sitting around doing farm work all day!"

"You wouldn't last 5 minutes out there baby brother." Abby said, just being truthful. 

"Ask dad!  I took down 2 75 footers in the last 2 years!" James retorted, like a bratty child.

"I'm not even going to begin to try to explain the difference here!  You think we would have this many slayers with us for some common villager stirring up trouble!?" Abby shouted at him.  "We aren't having this conversation right now!"

"It's not your party to decide, Abby!" James shouted back, shaking the house and causing Maggie to flinch as she sipped soup from a bowl.  She had become used to these conversations since the time James could hold a sword.

"Besides, you turned your back on all of us anyway! What do you care?!  Go back to the kingdom and get fucked by the king!" James exclaimed without thinking it through.

In a heartbeat, Abby was on her feet and walking toward him.

"What did you just say to me, you little shit?!" She demanded.

Though he was much bigger than all but his twin sister,  Abby still had a way of making him feel tiny and now was no exception as the 50 foot tall teenager bailed, wide eyed from the table in fear and tripped over himself, scrambling for the giant sized door.

Everyone at the table laughed at his display of cowardice and rooted Abby on as she kicked open the massive door after him, screaming at him.  He didn't wait to let her get her hands on him, knowing full well that she would kick his ass, and used his superior size and speed to escape into the trees on the far side of the field.

"I'm going to kill that little brat!" Abby shouted as she walked back in from outside.  "It's obviously been way too long since he's had his ass kicked!" 

"Can we never just have a decent meal without somebody "getting their ass kicked!"?" Our mother asked, her voice just below a shout as she stood up and carried her plate over to the wash bin, and loudly threw it in, before walking to the back of the house to her room.


"Now you upset Gwen!" My father added, as he too stood up and went back to comfort her.


"Ahh yes!  Now I remember why I decided I was never coming back here!" I said, loud enough for everyone in the house to hear me, before making my own exit outside.

The rest of them sat in awkward silence except for Maggie, who had also left her table and had went to her bed and begun to cry into her pillow.  I came back in a few hours later and the rest of the night was spent tiptoeing around each others emotions until we finally went to sleep.  James still hadn't returned, which worried Maggie, but we assured her that if he wasn't back by morning, we would go looking for him.










"Why not just let him fight? We all know there is no shortage of people who won't.  He doesn't need to end up like your associate, afraid to live and beaten to death." Peter observed.

"He doesn't need to end up like YOUR associate, either!" Olivia spat at peter.  She didn't elaborate on that, but he got the message.

A great conversation for the first thing in the morning as we looked for james.  His footprints went at a sprint to the western trees and then became harder to track as he headed north.  Somehow myself, Peter, and Olivia had got roped into searching.


"That is just how Malakai was.  We didn't question how he lived and we never will." Peter replied, honestly.  "And it's unfortunate what happened to your friend.  I myself have dealt with the daughters. . . . They have a way of breaking you down.  Taking a part of you. . . . . Sometimes even most of you, on their way to getting what they want from you."


We all observed the truth in that as we rode north, but stopped when we noticed something.  Jame's footprints became mixed with giant hoof prints.  Two sets and it seemed like James was following them.

"I don't like this. . ." Peter said, putting to words what we were all thinking. 

"He wouldn't challenge her alone, would he?" Olivia asked, looking to me.

"I would hope not." Was all I offered.

Chapter 31 by Stevie

 

James couldn't believe it.  It was her!  Just ahead of him in the clearing was Leonara.  Or at least he was 95 percent sure it was.  She was facing his direction but her head was down as she focused on nursing a man laying in front of her.  She had a bucket of water and was dabbing his forehead with a wet cloth.

Cautiously, James moved closer to confirm her identity, 1 million thoughts racing through his head. Should he try to face her alone?  Should he sneak away and reveal her location to the othe-

He froze in place as he foolishly stepped on a large branch, causing it to snap.  His neck snapped up, and he found himself meeting eyes with Leonara now.  She was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen and her gaze somehow pinned him in place as she stood and slowly approached him, drawing her sword.

"Come out here." She said calmly.

James didn't reply and didn't move.

"I won't ask nicely twice." She threatened, pointing to a place in front of her with the tip of her sword.

James knew he didn't have any other options, as she could easily chase him down and catch him in a few steps.  Begrudgingly, he stepped out into the clearing but he did have the common sense to draw his own blade as he approached her and stood where she had commanded him.

It was then that he got the true magnitude of her.  He was used to giants being a little less than twice as tall as him, but here this woman was, literally 3 times his height, his head about even with her thighs.  He was so mesmerized that he failed to realize he was shaking.

Leonara looked him over as she kept him pinned in place with her gaze.  His size was definitely curious to her as well.

"Where are you from, boy?" She questioned.

"We-west of here. . ." James stammered, trying to think on his feet.

"Just. . . "West?"  Is it a village or a city?  A farm perhaps?" She interrogated.

"A farm!  I'm sorry. . " James blurted out awkwardly, bowing his head.

"You'll forgive me if this is intrusive, but were you raised by humans. . . ?" Leonara trailed off, leaving space for his name.

"Uhh, Hammersford!  Alexander Hammersford." James said, mustering the tiniest bit of confidence, but also making a huge mistake.  "And yes. . . My parents found myself and my sister when we were babies." He answered truthfully.

"How curious. . . . I'd heard that a giant raised by humans will never grow to be full sized, but this is the first time I've ever seen such a person. . ."  Leonara stated, looking him up and down. "Hold your hand up!" She suggested suddenly, holding up her free hand.

James obeyed, seemingly bewitched by her command.  The size difference was astonishing. Fully extended, his entire hand fit in the palm of hers, not even reaching to the base of her fingers. "Incredible!" She breathed, purposely in his ear.

She knew she had him under her spell, and as such, stepped behind him, crouching down and extending her arm out.  He mindlessly did the same.  His little arm reached only just passed her bicep, although his mind wasn't on that fact, as her feminine scent intoxicated him.  He had never actually been around a woman remotely his size besides his sister and he wasn't up to the challenge as she effortlessly melted him.

"But alas," she sighed, standing back up to her full height and stepping back. "that doesn't explain what you are doing creeping around outside of my camp!" She finished, lifting her sword to his chin and forcing him to crane his neck to look up to her.

"I. . . I. . ." James stammered, once again unable to even think in her gaze.

"You understand my concern, don't you Alexander?  I don't know if you know who I am but I've recently had 2 attempts on my life in one day!  I can't be too cautious." Leonara explained, reading him like a book.

While she knew now that he had some connection to the slayers from earlier, she also knew that this was just some dumb kid who was entirely out of his league here.

"I. . . Was just out for a walk. . " James replied, rather unconvincingly.

"Then you wouldn't mind handing me your sword, would you?  For my protection?" Leonara asked, her soft voice and gorgeous face working to hypnotize him and although he had been taught better and told a thousand times, he unconsciously found himself handing her his sword before he even had a chance to think about it.

Leonara stepped back, examining the blade, which was an old giant's side arm or 2nd blade.  Enough to be a full sized sword for this boy but ultimately not much more than a medium sized dagger to a normal sized giant.  She swung it in her hand, feeling the balance.

"Not a bad blade sir." She commented, before throwing it, and sticking it into a nearby tree.  "You can have that back when we are done here.  Now, tell me what you are really doing here!  The truth this time." She said, again stepping up to him and burying him in her shadow.

"I told you. . . . I had an argument with my family, and went for a walk to get away.  That's when I stumbled across you." James explained, half telling the truth.

"I really would love to believe you, but. . . . A man who happened to have the exact same name as you, tried to assassinate me, not 3 days ago!" Leonara divulged, drinking in James' pale face as he realized his mistake.  "Now, I don't necessarily think you are working directly with him. . . I mean, these slayers were highly trained and you. . . . Well no offense, but you come off as just some stupid boy, in way over his head!"

"I am not just some dumb kid!"  James tried to argue, while ending up sounding bratty and petulant.

"Look at you!  You willingly let me disarm you, and you're pitching a little tent in your pants as we speak." Leonara pointed out, with a chuckle.  "You were putty in my hands from the moment we locked eyes.  But that's ok. . . . I have that effect on most men and even some women."

James looked down and immediately covered his crotch in embarrassment.

"In reality, I should just kill you, pin you to a tree and let your comrades find you." Leonara said as she began to pace back in forth.  "But. . . In some distant way, we have a blood relation, so I feel inclined to give you. . . . Some leniency."

James only nodded, terrified and aroused all at once.

"So here's what's going to happen.  You're going to run along, and tell the rest of your party that you did manage to find me, and that you've found out that I'm heading northeast to the city of Pherron."  Leonara stated plainly, stroking his cheek with a long, slender finger. "That simple."

"I'm not going to willingly lead anyone into one of your traps!" James replied, shoving her hand away from his face.

A moment later he found himself dangling completely off the ground with Leonara's hand clamped tightly around his entire neck.  His own hands tried to pry it off but the difference in strength was night and day as she squeezed the life out of him.

"This isn't a negotiation, boy!" She said, her voice still calm though her actions were violent.  "Your only options are comply, or die." She finished, stepping forward and slamming him up against the trunk of a tree.

His complete powerlessness was beginning to set in now as he struggled as hard as he could, and couldn't even get her to loosen her grip.  He didn't plan to die here and even if it was a trap, there had to be a way for Ant and company to beat her.  With that on his mind, he agreed to her demands.

"Co-comply!" He wheezed as his vision began to black out around the edges.

"A wise choice!" Leonara said, arrogantly as she tossed the boy to the ground.  He landed hard and just lay there coughing and holding his throat as he took in air like there was no tomorrow.

He heard her footsteps and instinctively curled into a ball as she approached him, standing over him dominantly.  She lifted her foot, pressing down on his side and flattening him out onto his back, spread eagle before placing her boot directly on his chest.  Her foot taking up all of the space from chin to waist as she pinned him to the ground. His head was forced awkwardly to the side and his dick and balls were firmly squashed under her heel.

"Now, tell me what you are going to say to them." She ordered, looking him in the eye as she gave her foot a small twist, earning a wince of pain.

"I. . . I found you, and. . ." James began as he struggled to even breathe.  "And I found out that you are heading. . . . No-northeast. . . To Pherron." He stammered.

"Good boy!" Leonara exclaimed, her voice dripping with condescension. "Now when you wake up, you run along and deliver the message!" She finished, and before James could comprehend what she meant by  "wake up", she picked her boot up from his chest, lifted it high and stomped it down on his little face, knocking him out cold.


He finally awoke sometime later in a downpour.  His face ached, and he flinched when he touched his nose and discovered it was broken.  He sat up to see that the camp had been completely deserted and he was alone now in the clearing.  It was just about night as well.  He sheepishly got to his feet, his clothes soaked and muddy as he looked around.   This was definitely a new low for him.

Nothing really looked familiar to him, except for his sword stuck in the tree.  Slowly he stocked over to it, disheartened to see that it was stuck 75 feet above his head.  He wiped water out of his eyes as he found a log to stand on and pulled with all of his strength but it wouldn't budge.  He attempted a few more times before collapsing at the base of the tree, defeated and wallowing in self pity.

"So that's it?  You're just giving up?"  Dad's not going to be happy about that." Came a voice out of darkness.

James looked up to see Ant, Peter and Olivia come out of the trees and into the clearing, bearing lanterns.  He was overjoyed to see them, but this was still the lowest point in his entire life.

"Stand up." Ant commanded, dismounting Marcel.  James obeyed, his shoulders slumped.  "Now pick up the log.  Good.  Now hit the sword with it. . . Genius!" He said, as if talking to a complete idiot.

James did as instructed and the sword was easily dislodged and fell to the ground.

"Now. . . Let's go home."

*7 days.

It had been 7 days since Ant had left Darius sitting at this camp, waiting for some mage he had never met before and wasn't entirely sure if the man could even help him.

It had also been 7 days since he had seen any intelligent life.  He had been hunting and fishing but nobody had passed by on the road since they left.  It kind of highlighted the state of things.  Humans were on the brink of extinction.  Hell!  Slayers were on the brink of extinction.  At least back in the day, there would always be somebody traveling or just existing in the world.  Not so now.

That being said, Darius had had enough, and was in the process of packing up and traveling back south.  As much as he wanted to help his brothers and sisters, he knew he would be worthless if he couldn't use prayers.  He had just mounted his horse when he thought he heard a horse coming down the path.

He was silence, and there it was again.  He looked over the gentle hill, and there was a man.  An odd looking man with a staff.

"Are you Monty?" Darius called when the man was in earshot.

"I am. . . . Who might you be?" Monty asked, cautiously dismounting his horse as he glanced around the empty camp.

"I think you know our mutual friend, Antony Lockwood." Darius replied, dismounting as well.

"I don't know that I would call us friends. . . . But yes, I know him." Monty answered, eyeing Darius.

"Well. . . . He said that you might be able to help me. "

*
"Hold still and quit your crying!" Monty scolded as he worked his hands over Darius' back, his hands glowing white.

"Let me alter your soul and see how you like it!" Darius growled in replied as he lay face down on a bed roll.

"Yeah, yeah.  Just keep quiet!  We are just about done with your back." Monty answered, closing his eyes and focusing on a particularly tricky area.  "You know, for as tough as you slayers are, you sure do complain alot, don't you?"

"Are we going to have to go-  eeerrrrr." Darius began but the pain overwhelmed him momentarily.  "Are we going to have to go a few rounds after this, monty?"

"As much as I'd love to spar with you child, we are on a very tight schedule.  Getting the humans to safety took longer than I thought it would, even with no giant interference." Monty explained, as he worked.

"How many did you get out?" Darius asked, grimacing slightly.

"I would say about 10 to 15 thousand." Monty said, fairly optimistic. "I  pray that it doesn't come to it, but if it did,
It should be more than enough to start again.  It's a land yet unexplored I suppose.  I would have liked to see some variety in races make it to the new land."

"That is an admirable dream." Darius commented, actually inspired by Monty's outlook on this.

"But a dream dependent on our success, isn't it? " monty pointed out.

"I suppose it is. . ." Darius agreed.  "With any luck, that little girl's plan went off without a hitch, and the world is rid of one more of the 3 daughters."

"I'll be honest. . . . It doesn't feel like it." Monty said, quietly.  "That last fight. . . . It took everything we had and that girl. . . . Juliette.  A monster.  They are both monsters, boy.  I suppose you know that better than most."

"Hmm." Was the only response he got.

It seemed that the three daughters were a sore subject for just about everyone who came across them.  Even his own experience with Leonara was at least to some extent life-changing.  His dear friend was gone now, although it had gained him some new ones, and a way to help another race to survive in a way that he hadn't been able to do with his own.

An hour later he finished with Darius's back, having erased all the prayers and incantations that had stopped the gods from hearing him.  Next, he rolled over and Monty went back to his delicate work.  A full 7 hours later, he was finally finished.

Darius stood, gripping his sword and breathing deeply.

"Go ahead." Monty said as he packed up his belongings, preparing to leave.

Darius drew in a breath, closed his eyes and prayed as he swung his sword.

A golden beam burst from his blade, starting low, cutting down a 30 foot wide swath of trees as it rose, getting the next trees higher and the next trees higher til it exploded above the tree tops and dissipated.

"Well?" Monty asked, with a sly grin.

Darius said nothing, and suddenly fell to his knees.  Shocked, Monty rushed to him, afraid that something had gone wrong.  It was then that he noticed. . .

Darius was weeping.

"What's wrong, boy?"Monty asked, kneeling beside him, and putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Th-thank you!" Darius sniffed.  "You've. . . . You've done no less than brought me back from the dead!

*Back up north, we finally made it back to the house.  Maggie burst out the back door, thundering towards us and embracing her twin in a tight hug.  He groaned, his body sore from two days of walking.

"Where were you?!" She demanded, stepping back and putting her hands on his shoulders and looking him over, her lips scrunched and brow furrowed.

"He had himself a date!" I replied, as I walked passed them, putting Marcel back in the stable out in the yard beyond the house. "With a gorgeous, raven-haired maiden!"

Peter and Olivia laughed but added nothing more.

"What does he mean by that!?  What do you mean by that!?" Maggie demanded, first of James, before turning immediately to me with a scowl.

"Go on and tell her of your adventure, boy!" I shouted, just before disappearing into the house.

"It. . . Was nothing. . " James told his sister, downplaying the significance as he tried to step by her.  She moved,  blocking his path.

"Who was she?!  And what happened to your face?!" Maggie asked, her voice just below a shout now.

"Magnolia. . . Please stop making a fuss!" James pleaded, not wanting everyone else to start in on him or tell him "I told you so!"

"I promise I'll tell you , when we're alone.  If you go to the river and help me get cleaned up, I'll tell you what happened.

As twins, the siblings had always been incredibly close, and even more so since they were giants living in the human realm so only they could relate to each others struggles.  Maggie knew it had to be something serious that he didn't want Mom and Dad to find out about, or at least yell at him about.  She agreed, grabbing him some fresh clothes and walking down to the river with him.

"See!  Why can't you just give up the foolishness of trying to be a slayer?!" Magnolia begged as she dabbed at his broken nose with a cloth, cleaning the dried blood.  "I know you want to be like Ant, but look what happened to you!  She could have killed you!"

"She might kill us all, Maggie!  That's all I'm getting at!" James exclaimed, frustrated that his sister couldn't understand. "I'm sorry I'm just not content with sitting around on the farm until that happens!

"Nobody is saying you can't help James!  It just doesn't have to be fighting!  You see that Ant has two little humans in his party.  They do their part, and when the time comes, they get out of the way so they don't get squished!" Maggie reasoned, trying anything to change her brother's mind.

"I'm not gonna get squished, Maggie!  Do you know how stupid that sounds?!" James shouted at her, knocking her hand away and standing up.

"It was just an example!  I mean. . . . You can do your part by helping to get everyone in the city to safety.  That is just as important, if not more important than the fight.  Some people just need to survive." Maggie shouted back, her voice cracking up as she neared the edge of tears.

"Come on, Maggie! Please. . . Please don't cry!" James begged.  As her brother, making her cry was about the worst feeling he could have.

"I just don't understand why the life you have isn't good enough for you!" She shouted angrily, as she threw down the wash rag and stomped off, trampling a small tree as she stormed back to the farm.

James felt bad but he didn't chase her.  Sometimes it was best to give her his full attention, sometimes it was better to let her cool down.  This was the latter.  He sat back down on the river bank and just stared into the water.

*The morning of the 4th day, we decided to depart.  My parents had had about enough of us, and everyone seemed to be at each other's throats.  Fights and passionate arguments seemed to break out once every hour, with people storming out and disappearing until late in the night.

We had the convoy fully loaded, full of supplies, and both Abby and Olivia were well rested now. The decision had been made that James would stay.  If we needed any more blades, or if trouble occurred in Lockwood, the other would come to aid.  I think we all knew that that particular system really wouldn't work, but it was the most we could do without flat out leading someone who clearly wasn't ready, straight to their death. In the end, I had gone so far as to tell everyone that I was the one to discover Leonara's whereabouts.  Just so the party wouldn't doubt the information. . . Or at least doubt it less.
The only thing we were truly missing before we were ready for a fight at Pherron, was-

As if on cue, we heard the sound of two horses coming up the road.

 

Chapter 32 by Stevie
Author's Notes:

Super long chapter, but it never felt like it needed to end anywhere.

 

Finally we were back on the road, at full strength, with addition of Darius and Monty, and ready to fight.  By now the buzz of Zahra's girls had no doubt reached any and all civilization and as such, I saw yet another raise in my bounty, courtesy of the giant kingdom.  The only thing saving us from facing wave after wave of giant bounty hunters, was the fact that the human realm was so desolate and deserted now, that any type of leads as to my location were literally nonexistent.  We traveled north in peace.

Being back on the road, it didn't take long for the family feeling to return.  My brother had slowly but surely begun talking to me again.  With 4 females on the team, Henrietta and Harley weren't at each other's throats anywhere near where they had been.  Darius was still refusing to even acknowledge Peter, but otherwise things were peachy.

Pherron was one of the three biggest cities in the north. They were all about 20 miles apart.   It seemed like an unlikely place for Leonara to launch an ambush, but if I had learned anything about her, it was that she had a reason for everything and usually thought 3 steps ahead of everyone else.  Just to be sure we weren't walking into a trap on the way to walking into a trap,  Darius and Jacob volunteered to scout ahead.

They returned with strange news.  Everything actually seemed. . . Fine.  At least up to the first city. Sort of. Even more surprising was that the city was still occupied with humans and functioning as it should.  By now, I honestly thought that Florence would have wiped out all living things in the north and been waiting for her sisters to meet up to consider the extermination complete.

"There is one thing though. . . . "Jacob said, seeming a bit confused.  "There was a giant there."

"Like. . . Destroying the place or. . . ?" I asked, trying to grasp what my brother was getting at.

"No. . . . Just sort of. . . Hanging out?" He struggled to explain.

"Giants don't just "hang out", believe me!" Julius stated, speaking from experience.  A noticeably worried look on his face.

"Oh, what I wouldn't give to go back to the days when a giant was just some common villager causing chaos."  I said, chuckling as I looked between Cassius and Julius.  Cassius matched my laugh, Julius wouldn't even look at me.

"Honestly. . . . I'm not even curious at this point." Peter said, adding his two cents.

"Agreed." Abby said and Henrietta nodded.

"If nobody is in danger, I say we go around and keep moving.  We have bigger fish to fry. " Peter finished, summing up the groups sentiment.

"I guess that's it then." I said, shrugging my shoulders and giving Marcel's reins a flick.

We continued north, bypassing the city and whatever drama was no doubt waiting for us there.  We all had the upcoming fight on our mind.  Pushing hard, we passed the next city just as it was getting dark.  Thinking it safer, we opted to make camp outside the walls of the city in the forest to the west.  We sent Cassius into the city to gather information on whether anyone had seen Leonara anywhere or at least anything suspicious.

He returned several hours later, half drunk and stumbling into camp.

"Well, were you successful, brother?" Peter asked as Cassius gracelessly slumped on the table and everyone gathered around him to hear the news.

"I was. . . . I think." Cassius replied, sort of unsure of himself.  The first thing I found out. . . . there are zero slayers in the city.  And what's more, the giant Jacob mentioned from the last city. . . . She's running security for that town. ."

We all raised an eyebrow at this.  It was legitimately the first time I'd ever heard of a giant protecting a human city for pay.  Not that she would have any chance against the three daughters.  Against marauders or bandits though, it was potent deterrent I suppose.

"2ndly. . . . " he slurred.  "2ndly I heard that people have seen. . . A giantess in the area!  Camping around here somewhere."

"Do they know where?!" Harley demanded, overzealous as always.

"Calm yourself, child." Cassius said, drunkenly putting a finger to her lips.

"Child?!  I'm three times your age!" She shouted, slapping his hand away much to the amusement of everyone.

"Anyway. . . " he said, trying to remember what he was going to say.  "Oh yes!  They have seen a giantess. . But. . . . Her description doesn't match our lovely Leonara unfortunately."

"Do they know how big she is? This far north it could be Florence as well!" Peter asked, staying logical.

"100-110" Cassius replied.

"Definitely not her." Abby said, relaxing and walking away to sit by the fire.

"Well. . . I'm glad SHE seems unconcerned!" Henrietta said loudly in Abby's direction.  " I on the other hand, think it's been a little too long since we killed somethin'!" She declared boldly.

"We will get to Pherron tomorrow! Let's just get a good night's sleep and kill someone tomorrow. . ." Darius suggested also sitting down by the fire.

"You sure you got your soul back, Darius?!" Henrietta shot with a grin. "The Darius I know was always up for a good fight, or a good fuck!" She exclaimed loudly.

The party laughed, hooting and hollering at Darius.

"I just want to be ready is all.  I've spent more time than is healthy, not fighting.  I don't want to let any of you down."

"Awww, that's so sweet of you!" Henrietta fawned, sitting in Darius' lap and wrapping her arms around his neck.  "But don't worry about that.  Nobody else here gives a shit about lettin' each other down!"  Ain't that right Ant, Jacob, Abby, and Peter!" Henrietta hissed her mean spirited joke.

"Are you guys always this obnoxious?" Olivia asked with a sigh, standing up and venturing out into the darkness to get away from everyone.

"What CRAWLED UP HER ASS?" Henrietta asked, standing up and yelling it just about as obnoxiously as she could.

"Henrietta!  Please just shut up, your little sister is trying to sleep over there!" Jacob said loudly, pointing to where Harken was now lounging with her back against a tree and her hands behind her head, eyes closed.

"She's obviously awake, idiot!" Henrietta argued.

"So. . . . You DO acknowledge her as your sister!" Cassius laughed, catching on to Jacob's set up.

"No, I. . . She's. . " Henrietta stammered, caught off guard. "I fuckin' hate all of you!" She said, grinning.  "What did I ever do to you anyway, Cassius?!  I left your name out, didn't I?  You're pretty ballsy for a human, you know that?"

"J just really want to get to the bottom of this family tree mystery!" Cassius said, drunkenly sauntering over to stand between Harken and Henrietta.  He looked back and forth between the two.

"You're gonna be buried beneath the family tree if you don't shut up and go to sleep, human." Harley threatened casually,  not even bothering to open her her eyes.

Cassius gulped, unsure of whether or not she was actually kidding.  "You two are both so violent!" He complained, more to the whole group than anyone in particular.  "You just can't appreciate the finer points of comedy, crafted over years of steady practice!"

"Shut. . . Up." Harley replied, slightly raising her voice but otherwise unmoving.  Truthfully, she was just joking, but it felt good that at least somebody on the team feared her.

"Fine!  You win this time you insolent little brat!" Cassius huffed, before wandering off into the darkness back toward the city.

Finally things got quiet and I was able to get to sleep.  My dreams weren't plagued by any unwanted visitors this time and I awoke refreshed.  Looking around I think noticed that the fire had gone out, it was still fairly early and dark, and everyone was just passed out haphazardly around the camp.  Knowing we were only staying the night, nobody had bothered to set up tents.

I stood, admiring the morning dew, and walked to the edge of camp between two angled trees and began to relieve myself.   The cold air on my face felt amazing as I chased a spider along the ground with my stream.  The whole thing felt perfect.  Like, even though we were going to face the biggest monster we had fought thus far, everything would be O-

All of a sudden I was smashed out of my thoughts by a giant hand coming down out of nowhere and squeezing me tight enough to silence my scream before it could leave my chest and trapping my arms at my sides, my dick still hanging out and dripping piss as I was lifted up into mornings air.

I never got the chance to see my assailant as I was squeezed into unconscious in a matter of seconds. . . .

I awoke some time later with blurry vision.  When it finally did clear, I saw that I was a couple hundred feet off the ground, suspended from a tree.  My body was inside another one of those steel socks that I first encountered at Juliette's mine and it was wrapped tightly around me, constricting my neck and leaving only my head sticking out.  The rope that connected it was strung over a tree branch.

It was then that I saw my captor.  A serious blast from my not so distant past.

"I see your. . . . Finally awake" Elise said as she swallowed a bite of her breakfast.

This was. . . . Not great by any means but maybe I could work with it.  Elise was a giant bounty hunter around my age that myself and Jacob had worked a few jobs with in the past, taking out human, slayer and giant bounties.  She was originally a wealthy girl from the giant capital who would probably never have had to work a day in her life, but to prove everyone wrong, she decided to become a bounty hunter and leave home.

Flash forward two years, she met up with my brother and myself and a few jobs went well until we decided to go our separate ways with her, leaving her alone in the middle of nowhere with only the clothes on her back deep in giant country.  We had collected the current bounty and left her with nothing.

Now here I was, clearly with the shoe on the other foot I guess.

"I honestly can't believe that worked!" She exclaimed, as she grabbed more food from her kettle.  "You guys need a new watchmen!  It took a little while, but he fell asleep soon after that tall blonde woman quit being obnoxious!  Then I moved in, and just had to wait, perfectly still.  I covered my legs and feet in mud and tree bark and they looked just like trees, didn't they?"  Elise asked, looking at me with a grin.

"Elise. . . . You need to let me go!  I know we've had our differences but now is not the time for this!" I shouted, trying to convince her as best I could.

"Our differences?  You took everything I had and left me to die!" She shouted back.  "What pisses me off more though, is that everyone told me you would do it, and I didn't believe them!"

"You're being over dramatic! You were a days walk from the next city!" I replied, brushing it off.

"Just shut your little mouth for once in your life Ant!  You can't talk your way out of this.  The only difference you can make is whether I beat the shit out of you before handing you over to Leonara later today."

This perked my ears.  Getting to Leonara was technically where I needed to be, but not completely bound and immobile.   Especially not beaten to a pulp either.

"It's a shame I couldn't get my hands on that your brother of yours as well!  In all honesty, I would have picked off anyone I could get from your camp.  You are all pretty valuable now, if I could prove they were from your crew.  But Jake. . . . That's one bounty I would definitely consider hauling in dead!" Elise mused, pointing her knife at me for emphasis.

I said nothing.  Inside my sock, I was struggling against my binds.  She had my wrists and ankles tied, along with being inside the inescapable sock.

"Oh well!  There is always tomorrow I suppose.  If there is anything left of him after you guys attempt to fight Leonara." Elise commented as she stuffed another mouthful of food in.  "Like honestly Ant. . . You two are decently strong yeah, but ONLY decently strong.  Leonara is gonna paint the walls with you!  Why not just escape to that island or whatever that all you humans were going to?  Running is what you do best anyway, isn't it?" She asked, perfectly serious.

"You can honestly be this casual about the end of the world?" I screamed at her, actually getting pissed off now.

"Oh shut up!  It's only the end of the HUMAN WORLD.  I'm a giant! What the hell do I care what happens to a bunch of mice?  My people are living on top of each other in cities and the king refused to take more land from you little pests, even though he's "allowed it" before." Elise countered.

"And you can live with that?" I asked, looking her dead in the eyes.

"Well, I learned from the best when it comes to leaving people in fucked up positions, didn't I?" She replied, perfectly throwing my actions back in my face as she stood up and put her dishes in her pack.

"Elise. . . This. . . This isn't you!" I tried, just saying whatever I could to get out of this as the restraints were holding up much better than I thought they would.

"You know nothing about me! We camped together for a month or whatever, but you didn't ask more than my name and where I was from!"  She spat back at me as she kicked dirt on her fire and stomped out the embers.

"And that really only counts as my name, because it's not like you know where any of the giant cities are anyway, now that I think about it!  You were such an asshole! You and your brother!" She fumed, as she threw the remnants of the camp over her horse.

"We are. . . . But in all fairness, you never asked us if we were or not! You could have asked if we would betray you, and we would probably have said yes, at some point." I bantered.

"You are so full of shit, it's coming out your little ears, Ant!" She replied, with an annoyed smile as she finally gathered me up, untying me from the tree and walking to her horse.

"What. . . What are you doing?!" I panicked, as she tied the string to her saddle and placed me on the seat portion.

"I don't have anywhere else I can put you were I can trust you!  I know you have been trying to get out of your bonds this entire time.  Unfortunately for you, I know about the little dagger you keep in your boot!" She explained, as she put her foot in the stirrup and kicked her leg over.

"No Elise ple-" was all I got out before her fat ass in her leather pants first engulfed me, then flattened me down into the saddle.

"Get comfy!" She sang to me as she squashed me down and made herself at home on my body. "Admittedly I don't know exactly where Leonara is right now, but some humans said they saw her traveling northwest from where you were camping, so I'll start there!. She explained, before setting out.

I lost track of time fairly quickly, and was endlessly battered by my captor.  In rythm with her horse, her ass would come down to meet me, then drive me down and obliterate me, then lift and the saddle would smack me, bouncing me and the process would start over.

This went on for an eternity, and she was right.  There was no way I could even begin to focus on getting out of my binds like this.  Eventually and mercifully, I passed out.

"Hey! Wake up!"

I blinked, and looked to my left, seeing Elise's giant green eyes focused on me.

"There you are!  I want you to be conscious and mouthy when I hand you over to Leonara." Elise said with a grin.

That was such an odd request.

"I think that is her camp up ahead.  Let's go." She instructed, grabbing me in her fist and leading her horse through the trees to a clearing up ahead.  Just as she got to the edge, a man stepped up to her.  They were about equal in height.

"Stop right there!" He said firmly.  "What's your business here?"

"I have a gift for the princess." Elise said proudly, like she had practiced saying it a million times on the way there.

The man looked down at me and his eyes got wide.

"Stay here." He said to Elise before he walked over to where Leonara was sitting on a fallen log, reading a book. He whispered something to her and her visible eye lit up.

She stood and started walking our way but paused a few steps away and did a double take.

"E-Elise?!  Little Elise, is that you?" She exclaimed with surprise.

"Yes, your highness!" Elise said, incredibly happy that the princess had remembered her.

"What are you doing way out here, child?!" Leonara asked, stepping forward the rest of the way and embracing her in a big hug.

"I left the city to become a bounty hunter, now here I am, with the 2nd most valuable bounty in the world!" Elise exclaimed, holding me up triumphantly.

Leonara only glanced at me briefly before inviting Elise to come and sit with her to catch up.  Elise tied me up, dangling from a tree branch all the way across the clearing but close enough so they could keep an eye on me and joined her as they began to chat and Elise told her of her stint as a bounty hunter, putting extreme emphasis on the point where I abandoned her.

"It seems our little friend has a long history of making enemies wherever he goes, doesn't he?" Leonara commented, sipping her tea.

"She's over exaggerating!" I called, from my spot in the tree.

I flinched as Leonara stood up and walked over to me.  The way I was tied, I was even with her face as her visible eye burned a hole right through me and my heartbeat began to rise.

"You will speak only when spoken to from now on!" She said, her voice forceful and without an ounce of doubt that I would comply.

I. . . I wanted do badly to reply. . . To. . . To spit right in that infamous eye, but. . . . I couldn't bring myself to do either.  I did convince myself that this was all part of my plan but. . . Unless something changed very soon, I was about to be in the clutches of the demon princess of the giant kingdom.

Satisfied with my silence, she turned and sat back down.  Across from her, Elise was slack jawed.

"Holy shit!  That is the first time I've seen him actually keep his little mouth shut!" She cried. "What was that look you just gave him?!  I need to learn that!" She exclaimed, looking between Leonara and myself in astonishment.

"I guess it's just something that I developed from my days of being a bratty little bitch in the castle." Leonara laughed as she recalled. "All the staff despised Juliette and myself.  Grown men forced to bend to the every whim of the kings daughters with just a glare and the promise that there would be hell to pay if they dared defy us. We walked all over them.  Eventually it evolved and now even people who would kill me at a moments notice if given the opportunity buckle when I look at them." She explained, motioning with her head to me.

"That's so cool, your highness!" Elise praised as she finished her cup of tea.

"Thank you!  But I would guess that you didn't come here just to praise me like this.  You're after the Antony Lockwood bounty!  Newly raised no less!" Leonara said, standing up again and digging through her pack until she found a parcel.  She also dug out her official royal seal and in a minute had my official bounty voucher drawn up.

"My guard here will go with you to collect.  I have. . . . Pressing matters to attend to here, otherwise I would take you to get payed myself.  You understand. . ." Leo trailed off.

"Yes of course!  I appreciate the escort, your highness!  But yes, from the way he and his friends were talking about it, today must be the day you go to face them." Elise said as she too stood, and took the parcel from Leonara, placing it in her pack, buttoning it extra tightly.

"Ha!  Hardly."Leonara laughed at the thought.  "Lesson number one, never be where or when the enemy expects you to be. I'm going to make them wait.  It may be tomorrow, it may be a week from now!  Who knows.  I want them to doubt the information they were given.  Question themselves and each other.  Then, at their lowest point, when they are at each other's throats, I'll be there, and I'll wipe them all out." Leonara explained, and my blood ran cold with just how cold and calculating this woman was.

"Are you sure Ant should be hearing all of your plan?" Elise asked, glancing in my direction.

"It's ok. There is nothing he can do now that he wouldn't have already done if he  was capable.  Hell, I could leave him in that tree to starve if I wanted to.  A fitting, anti-climactic end to the hero of the human realm.  Not that many of his friends will survive the fight with me, but even in the off chance that they do, they'd never be able to find him." Leonara stated, so confidently that I almost couldn't fault her logic.

She was right.  There wasn't anything I could do right at that moment. In this moment, my survival really hinged on whether or not anyone actually gave enough of a shit to track me down.  I was pretty sure that Elise had to have left some foot prints somewhere.  That being said, I wasn't actually sure how far she had traveled either when she captured me, or when she sat on me and rode her horse.

"Ok. ." Elise replied, surprisingly not underestimating me I guess.  She turned and threw her leg back over her horse

"Thanks again Elise!  The kingdom owes you an even greater debt of gratitude and I will see to it that you are handsomely rewarded when I return." Leo called to her departing countrymen.

"Elise. . . . .ELISE!" I screamed as she disappeared into the distance, leaving me with this woman who had single handedly killed one member of my team and caused irreparable damage to at least 4 others.

I unconsciously held my breath as she walked past me and sat back down.  She began reading again like I wasn't there, glancing up every few moments to check her surroundings.  Other than that, it was uneventful for the next hour and a half.

"Can you just hurry up and kill me already? I asked, directly breaking her rule, purely out of boredom at this point.  "Or are you trying to break me mentally with boredom?"

She casually glanced up from her book, giving me a look of mild annoyance I had seen many times as a child.  The way an older sister looks at her pest of a little brother.  I have to admit. . . It pissed me off a little bit seeing it now.

"I'm not going to kill you.  Why waste such potential?" She asked, flipping the page and continuing to read.

"Potential?" I asked, confused.

"Yes, potential.  I'm told that you personally. . . . Associate with the goddess of death herself." She stated, more telling me than asking me.  "So why not put that to the test, hmm?  See how close to death you can get. . . Or if you can even die!" So many things I can learn from you!"

"So wouldn't have made more sense just to go back to the giant realm with those two? I asked.

"It may have been wiser, but they are more inconspicuous without me.  As I'm sure you saw for yourself, though you chose to cower in the trees, that I have more than just slayers who would love to see me dead." She admitted, taking a sip from her canteen.

"You think they won't come for you up here?" I asked, just making conversation as a means to better understand my enemy.

"They very well might!" She shrugged.  "But I guess if they were true warriors, they wouldn't have been taken alive to become slaves in the first place, now would they?" She asked, passing the question back to me.

"Sometimes you do what you need to do to keep others safe, I suppose." I countered.

"From what I've seen, that seems to be your logic, yes." She agreed, side nodding.

"It doesn't apply to you?" I asked, irritated by her arrogance at the matter of survival.

"Oh, it does." She replied sort of snarkily..

"But? . . . " I asked, knowing there should be more.

"But. . . I'm the second biggest living thing in the world.  I can wreck an entire human city in a few minutes. I just find that often "Doing what you have to do" is just a blissful illusion.  You simply think that it's your choice, but in reality I can take what I want from you, regardless of how hard you try to fight me.  I only allow you to have a choice because it's what my father would have wanted in some situations." She explained, somewhat arrogantly but also just truthfully.

"Like you did to Peter?" I spat, making the connection.

"Exactly!  Although that was a mistake I will admit." She said, flipping another page.  "My sister and I could have easily beaten him to within an inch of his life, then just tortured him until he gave up all the slayers secrets or died.  But why waste the time and energy when just telling him you'll kill his family will suffice? I believe. . . .maybe someday I'll reach the point where I can't sleep at night because of the things "I've had to do" so any extension I can buy is accepted."

"So you HAD to eradicate an entire race of people. .probably two, in the name of a past his prime giant?"  I asked, just letting words fly now.

"My father was an unfortunate happening, but if you must know. . . That didn't have much effect on the decision to start clearing you people out.  It's just kingdom expansion really." She stated, coldly.  "Besides, I think slayers are more than fair game."

"We only exist because of the greed of giants, or did you forget that?  Humans can be crushed and abused by you giant scum, but as soon as somebody comes through your turf and kicks your teeth in, you suddenly get all sensitive about it," I asked, my voice at a cocky shout now.

"It's not the fact that we do it, but the question of what you little worms are going to do about it?  Hmm?  Look what me and my sisters have proven already! As soon as any giant who can handle a sword comes to town, you slayers get pounded into the ground beneath our feet just like every other race. At some point the gods just need to let this world run it's course, you know?  We naturally dominate, so just let us be."

"Why don't you ask Juliette how that turned out?" I asked, just looking for any way to hurt her now.

"Hmm. . . . Maybe I will! The very next time I go back to the castle.  And you can ask . . . . Your loudmouth friend that I absolutely flattened in one step!" She said in a way that sounded like a genuine suggestion.

She had me there.

"Fair enough." I admitted.  "I just want you to know, we aren't letting you escape like Juliette did!" I added.

"It all comes back to the illusion of choice Antony Lockwood! Even if you were a part of the fight, you couldn't stop Juliette from escaping.  When you're crushed into tiny pieces, you won't be able to stop me either.  All you slayers are. . . Is a human's illusion of choice.  Just like Peter's family."

"You're confidence is awe inspiring honestly, but Juliette didn't begin the battle with us, thinking that she would be running for her life a few minutes later either. " I said, countering.

"Make no mistake. . . . Intend to make all of you pay dearly. . . But don't for a moment think that I'm underestimating you.  That being said, let me ask you something." She said, standing up and walking over to me.

"Go for it." I replied, flatly.

"What's your end game? Let's say you and your friends manage to kill both me, and Florence.  Then what?  The entire giant kingdom will crash down on you and you will be obliterated in seconds.  There is no scenario here where the humans keep their kingdom." She said, tilting her head to look at me.

"You may not be underestimating our fighting ability, but you are definitely overestimating the amount of fucks we give." I answered.  "We are weapons.  You giants may very well wipe us out, but we will live on as legends!  The rugged bastards who slayed the two biggest giants ever!"  I can live with that." I said, proudly.

"Pfff! Who will even remember you when all the humans and slayers are dead and gone?" She asked, huffing and walking away.

"I bet your mother will remember us!" I said, twisting the knife.  "Fuck, every giant in the world will know of us!" I declared."

This struck a nerve, and I observed her clench her fists momentarily. She took a deep breath through her nose, shot me the death glare then walked back to sit down.  She didn't even reply to me.

"And I think you are forgetting one major element to this whole thing as well." I continued.

"And that is?" She indulged me, begrudgingly.

". . . . . The gods don't like you." I said flatly.

Leonara was well and truly pissed now.  She immediately stood again, and stomped toward me, getting right near my face.

"THE GODS. . . " She barked in my face.  "Will get what's coming to them." She finished, incredibly calmly and with a pleasant smile to the point where my body went cold from the sudden and extreme contrast.

"You plan to fight them?" I asked, with a mild interest considering the death goddess had me by the balls at this very moment.

She gave me a sly, and surprisingly cute wink before she turned and paced away.  If I wasn't before, I was 100% convinced now that she was completely out of her mind.

"Don't concern yourself with my plans or ideology, Ant.  Just rest up.  I need you in tip top shape to teach me all that you can!" She said, condescendingly, like my mother.

I was about to tell her off, when I felt an odd sensation. . . . The presence of a god.  I wasn't expecting any visitors here, so feeling him was a pleasant surprise.  Behind my back, I felt the ropes begin to slither and release, dropping to the bottom of the sock, followed by the ropes around my ankles a moment later.

"What was that?" Leonara asked, her eyes narrowing at me as she stalked back toward me.

"What was what?" I asked, feigning confusion.

"A god. . . . A god was just here a moment ago." She stated with 100% confidence as she looked all around her as if expecting to see something.

"They are probably curious to know "what is coming to them. ." I replied, using her exact words against her.

She moved her face close to me again, inspecting me.  I prayed she wouldn't check my binds.  I wasn't free just yet, but I had more of a shot now then I did have a moment ago. Thankfully she was satisfied and walked away without checking me.

A second later, I felt the tight knot around my neck loosen as well, the god of mischief lending his favorite son another small assist.

I knew I could escape now, but the timing had to be right.  Too soon and she would be all over me and without my sword, I had zero chance of escaping, let alone defeating her.  I had no idea when she planned to sleep. . . . Or if she even slept. . .

"The gods can mind their own damn business!" She spat, hiking her shoulders and clenching her fists.

"What do you even have to complain about anyway?" I asked, genuinely curious.  "You're rich royalty.  Like why even fuck around in the human realm at all?" Just go home and have some slave feed you grapes while you lounge around all day. " I added.

"You know nothing about my life." She replied, coldly.

There was an awkward moment of silence before I broke it.

"Well. . . . Are you going to tell me or. . . " I asked, like I would ask a friend.

"What?" She demanded, slightly confused.

"Are you going to tell me about your life?" I asked, genuinely now.

"Are you serious? No!  Why would you even ask that?" She answered, shaking her head and scrunching her face.

"Why not?" I asked simply, somewhat enjoying her reactions.

"Because you're. . . . We. . . " she began, becoming flustered.

"Look. . We both essentially kill people for a living. . . . Just tell me why you do it.  It doesn't need to be weird or whatever." I coaxed, using my convincing gas lighting voice.

"I DO NOT kill people for a living, thank you very much!" She shot back at me, an offended look on her face.

"Well. . . Not for a living, because you are filthy rich, but I would say on a fairly regular basis and to great effect." I compromised, grinning.

"Will you just shut up about it!" She snapped, causing nearby birds to fly out of their trees.

I was silent  for a moment. . . . Before I started back in.

"Look Leo. . . . Can I call you Leo?" I asked, with fake caution.  Her nostrils flared and I knew I was well and truly under her skin now.  "We may be adversaries, but that doesn't mean we have to be enemies!" I stated, hoping she would believe something similar to that.

"Like. . . I know you and your sister's were. . . Are. . the biggest and last children of the giant king.  So he must have been pretty proud that his daughters are the biggest giants ever." I stated.

"Yes, daddy was SO proud of us!" She spat at me, sitting down on the log again.  "And do you know what he did when he found out how big our size was projected to be?" She asked, rhetorically.  "He had us trained, day and night. . . . Until we were no longer sweet, innocent little girls, no!  Now we were weapons, to be brought to bear against our enemies!" She fumed, clenching her fists.

"Hmm. . . For somebody who doesn't want to be a weapon, you sure do have a penchant for fighting, don't you?" I replied, sarcastically.

"Ha!  This was really nothing but a little tantrum for us.  You should have seen Juliette when she was younger!  She was a true terror.  She'd mercilessly crush any human or slayer she could get her hands on around the castle.  My mother would get so pissed off that all of her human slaves would be squashed.  And that was even before we were old enough to visit the human realm with our father on trade missions.  We would sneak away at night, and just pulverize any cities that were unfortunate enough to be found by us." Leonara said, briefly getting lost in the memory.

"Holy shit!  You should have seen Julie's face the first time a slayer showed up!  I swear she pissed her pants!  Flo nearly died protecting her!" Leonara exclaimed,  chuckling.  "My dad was so mad that we weren't aloud to leave the castle for 3 months after that!"

I remained silent.  This. . . . Was a bit odd honestly.  I mean. . . I had had a conversation with a giant before, even convincing them to leave a city without drawing my sword, but this was nothing like that.  If I no idea who this woman was, we could have been two. . . Acquaintances sharing stories around a campfire or something.

Don't get me wrong, I still intended to cut her completely in half with the mother of all prayers, but at least I knew. . . . Maybe she wasn't just heartless killing machine. I mean. . . Here she was just peacefully trying to read a book.

It was in this lull in the conversation that we heard a human sized horse and rider came galloping down the road.  Leonara made no effort to get up, and it was apparent that the man was expecting to see her there as he rode to her feet and dismounted.

"Your highness. ." He said, kneeling before her and planting a pathetic kiss on her boot.

"What do you have for me?" She asked, barely paying him any mind.

"The slayers are camped out outside of Pherron now, as expected.  The civilians are still there as well though.  They haven't made any attempts to fortify the city or evacuate it.  I'm not sure what they are waiting for." The man said, an obvious amount of fear in his voice.

So this was one of the infamous spies that I had heard about that Leonara supposedly deployed.  Not a bad idea.  He was definitely unassuming enough.

"I imagine they are expecting a trap.  If I remember correctly, a few of their party survived one of my ambushes, so it's only natural that they are leery of this." Leonara explained, finally regarding the man.  "Did you speak with any of them? Were you followed?" She demanded, looking the man over.

"No your highness,  I only observed the few I could pick out." He replied, his eyes glued to the ground.

"Good." Was all that Leonara said, her gaze returning to her book.

The man stood there awkwardly for a moment before he had the courage to ask.

"What. . . . Will you do next?" He stammered.

Her blue eyes again shifted to him, and he became visibly uncomfortable.

"You need not concern yourself with my actions, human.  Just go home and wait for me to send word." She stated, coldly staring him down.

"I just thought-" he began but Leonara silenced him.

"You shouldn't be thinking at all.  Just do as you're told, and stay out of my way.  Unless you want me to pay that little village of yours another vist?" She asked, her tone somehow absolute.

"No, your highness!  I just. .   No, your highness! He babbled as he turned and scampered to mount his horse.

It was just then that I felt a tug on the rope that was dangling me in my personal prison. I craned my neck to see what was happening but I couldn't see who was hoisting me upward, smoothly and slowly so that Leonara wouldn't notice.  Unfortunately, someone did notice.

"Your highness!  The man shouted as he ran back to her boot, tapping on it frantically.

"Didn't I. . . Just tell you to leave? "She questioned, feigning confusion.

"Yes! Yes your highness but-

"Why. . .   Are you still here!?" She demanded, clearly irritated now, and the power of her voice made the man's knees buckle and he collapsed over her boot.

He only pointed in my direction just as I was making it up to the branch where my rescue party was stationed.  Who I found waiting for me, was the last person I expected.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I asked as I was finally able to shimmy out of the sock and move my sore limbs again.

"Just returning the favor for you saving us earlier!" Olivia proclaimed, handing me my sword that she must have managed to steal back, just as Leonara looked over, noticing us, and standing up.

"I thought you said you weren't followed!?" Leo asked, giving the man at her feet a death glare.

"Look Leonara, please-" the man began.

"Excuse me?" Leonara interrupted, raising an eyebrow to the tiny human beneath her.

"I'm so sorry!  Your highness!" He corrected himself, but it was too late as her enormous boot left the ground and began to drift over him.  His eyes got massive as he realized what she planned to do.

"Please no!" He shouted, as he made a desperate run for his horse but it was too late.  A second later, Leonara snuffed him out like a cigarette, giving his pathetic remains an arrogant twist into the dirt before turning her attention back to us

"We need to go!" I said as I turned to jump down through the branches, but Olivia caught me by the arm.

"I'm done running!" Was all she said, as she clutched her own sword and faced Leonara, who had drawn her own sword and was slowly walking across the clearing, about 20 giant steps away.
"We owe it to our friends to take her on!" She finished, a different look on her face than I had seen on her ever before.

I only nodded, and prepared for a fight.  We had the advantage of trees for cover this time, so with some miracle we might be able to take her down.

"Throw me" I said to Olivia, holding my hand out.  She didn't need to be told twice, grabbing my hand and hurling me down towards Leonara, who had closed another 5 steps, the tip of her sword inches off the ground in her right hand in an open stance.

Her face was neutral.  More concentration than anything else as I tucked into a ball, hurtling toward her as I summoned a prayer.  The blue energy followed my roll, becoming like a giant saw blade as I released it.

It ripped through the air, perfectly on target but then something unexpected happened. We witnessed the first difference between how Leonara and her sister went about a fight.

I expected her to block.  To assert her dominance over us by straight overpowering my prayer, but at the same time, leave an opening  for Olivia to follow me up. . . But that wasn't what she did at all.  Instead it was much more simple than that.

She stepped aside.

She sidestepped all that potential killing energy like it was a stranger in the market, never even breaking stride on her way towards us.  It continued on, obliterating the log she had just been seated on.  As for me, I continued on as well. . . . Right into a problem of my own as my momentum carried me right into Leonara's path.

The millisecond my feet touched the ground, I threw all my strength into stopping, stumbling forward toward her feet.  Anticipating this, she timed it so that her very next step was a long lunge and would have crunched me under her boot, and she was spot on, but I managed to regain balance at the last second, and I ended up so close that my hands braced me on her boot tip.

Seizing the opportunity, I lifted my sword to stab through her boot, but before she was ready for me, jabbing with her own sword just over the toe of her own boot to skewer me.  I blocked it, getting shoved back 30 yards in the process, but before I even knew what was going on, her other boot was surging forward in another lunge. I knew there was no stopping it, and no taking it, so I did the only thing I had time for, diving to my right and out of the way just as her foot thundered to the ground with a small cloud of dust and chunks of earth.

I had barely even hit the dirt, when I was immediately covered in the shadow of her other boot, rising to stomp me into mush.  Leonara was relentless in her mission to crush me and I knew this time I wouldn't be able to leap far enough to make her miss again.  All I could do was angle my sword upward to give her a nasty surprise when she flattened me.

Her foot reached its peak in slow motion,  seemingly hanging there for an eternity, and had just begun to descend, when suddenly it stepped back, and I just managed to see her block a prayer from Olivia.

Following up, Olivia sent down another horizontal prayer from her tree top position, but Leonara used her sword to deflect it, causing it to veer right and take out more trees.  Switching it up, Olivia launched a vertical attack, forcing Leonara to step away from her position on top of me and I stood, sending my own prayer curving up and in but Leonara swung her sword across her body, successfully parrying it while also kicking up a wave of dirt in my direction, covering me and causing me to turn away.

Olivia launched another attack and Leonara just managed to duck underneath this one.  She lifted her head, scowling at Olivia.  She decided to leave me alone for a moment as she stalked Olivia now, her sword in her left hand and low as she marched toward the tree.  Olivia sent down another vertical slash, but it was obvious she was running out of energy, and the attack had no zip to it.  Leonara side stepped it easily, before picking up speed.

Olivia dropped to a knee, panting as she caught her breath.  It was short lived, and her eyes got wide as she witnessed Leo running toward her.  She still had the high ground technically but the tree was only a meager 100 feet taller than Leonara was, and to us it was a thick, sturdy tree, but in comparison, it wasn't much more than a mature sapling to her.

As such, she put her hands out and tackled the entire tree, snapping the trunk at the base, and crashing to the ground in a massive cloud of dirt and a swirl of leaves.  I couldn't even comprehend what I was seeing in the chaos. Everything was still for a moment,  before Leonara stood up, silhouetted in the dust.  I knew that Olivia likely survived that but only if Leonara hadn't landed on top of her.  I didn't know what condition she would be in, but I prayed she was ok.  I knew I couldn't do this without her.

I was snapped back to reality as Leonara turned and began walking back toward me, each footfall filled with the crack of tree limbs snapping like toothpicks beneath her boots.

This was bad.

I was at a massive disadvantage out in the open with no support.  I wasn't about to try to fight her and run out of energy myself, so I turned and sprinted for a large tree across  the clearing.  I could hear her footsteps behind me and feel her closing the gap as the ground began to quake and threatened to knock me off rhythm.

"Where do you think you are scampering off to, Ant?" She asked, baby talking me.

I was just about there now, and blindly hurled a sloppy prayer behind me to buy me some time.

"Oops!  You almost got me, little one!" She exclaimed, giggling.

I really didn't give a shit that she was taunting me.  We both knew that I was no match for her one on one, so there was no illusion of pride here as I made it the base of the tree and continued, my sprint turning my energy vertical as I used my strength to propel me up the trunk.  Still, I could feel her closing the gap but I knew all I had to do was get to the branches.  At about 100 feet I was covered in shadow once again, just another 60 feet to go.

"Oh, come here!" I heard from over my shoulder and I didn't even have time to look back before I felt fingers snake around me, and tighten, completely trapping me in her fist.

I was pulled away from the trunk, my legs still kicking, and I squirmed as hard as I could but she had me.

"Here, let me help you!" She said happily,  like she was talking to a child.  A moment later I found out what she was talking about as I was reared back, before she punched forward.  He fingers loosened at the last second, getting out of the way as she forcefully smashed me into the tree trunk with an open palm.

A pained groan was all I could offer as the wind was knocked out of me. In my mind I was able to focus on every single ounce of pain as bits of tree bark dug into my skin from head to toe. Leonara gave me a brief twist, before pulling her hand back, her fingers once again wrapping around me tightly, tearing some bark off the tree as she did, leaving a bare spot that was roughly my shape.

"Come on, you can climb!" She said, her voice actually managing to capture enthusiasm and encouragement as she drew me away from the tree.  Not that I could do a damn thing to stop her, but I knew exactly what she was doing and I got it a moment later.

I closed my eyes as again she punched forward, plastering me into the trunk again.  Now I was seeing stars as my entire body shut down momentarily as chunks of bark busted off of the tree.  My entire front was scratched to shit and my cloak was torn now.  I felt the pressure of her palm leave my back, but this time I was firmly embedded in the bark, and I remained there after her hand was completely removed.

"Perfect!" Leonara exclaimed, clapping her hands like an excited little girl. "Tell me though," she continued as I felt a tug at the back of my cloak, and I was suddenly dangling from her fingers in front of her face.

"The death goddess" she said, putting away her sword and using her free hand to lift my chin with a finger.  "Just how. . . . Broken. . . Or close to death do you have to be, before she makes an appearance?" She asked, flicking her finger at my side, causing me to spin pathetically.

In anger, I swung my sword at her wildly but didn't manage to accomplish anything but earn a girlish squeal from her as she pulled her hand back just in the knick of time.  She replied to my hostility with a brutal flick to my stomach, which caused me to go into a coughing fit.

"My sister told me specifically that she broke every single bone in your body, and you were still able to stand up and attack her, with significant power.  That sounds incredible!" Leonara explained, as she moved her free hand in again and this time she wrapped her long, pale fingers around my arm, immobilizing my sword in her grasp and releasing my cloak to let me dangle from just my arm.

"While I don't intend to break every bone in your body, I do think you are still in too good of shape to see any type of transformation yet." She said, studying me for only a second before out of nowhere, she violently snapped her wrist.

My body was rag dolled and I let out a scream as a white hot wave of pain went through me and my newly broken arm.  She remained clutching it, as she looked me over for any type of change.  I only gritted my teeth, and reached behind my back and underneath  my cloak to where I kept my trusty 6 inch blade.

I pulled it out and immediately jammed it to the handle into the side of her thumb.  I had to give her props. . . I honestly expected her to drop me, but instead she only flinched like she had pricked her finger.

"Is that so?" She asked coldly as her death gaze bore a hole through my forehead.  A split second later, she snapped her wrist again with the same ferocity as the first time, and somehow it felt even better on my already broken bone.

This time the pain wave was so intense, I vomited, spewing a spray of Cassius' cooking 150 feet to the ground below. My body hung limp in her grip.

"Why don't we see how much YOU like it!" She hissed as she pulled the knife out of her thumb with her free hand and began to move it towards me.

With my arm still in her hand and beyond damaged, all I could do was use my free hand to push her away, but I was no match for her and her giant fingers pushed right through my defense until the dagger point made contact with the shoulder joint of the arm I was currently hanging from.  Unfortunately, she didn't stop there, continuing on to my blood curdling screams as she drove it all the way in with just her thumb like a little thumb tack.  It pierced out the back and that's where it remained, as she continued to glare at me.

I. . . Had nothing to say this time.  I was thoroughly beat and I didn't think the death goddess had any interest in helping me out at the moment. She was probably watching from somewhere and delighting in my suffering.  Fucking whore.

"So this still isn't enough?"  Leonara asked, questioning the entire situation. "Do you see now why I despise the gods?  They are just as content to let you suffer as they are to lift a finger to help you!" She huffed, angrily.

"I. . . In their defense. . . I wouldn't. . Be suffering if you would just hurry up kill yourself already!" I replied, struggling with the random rushes of pain.

"That's true." Was all she offered as her free hand moved down and grabbed on to my leg.  "But I really don't understand why you won't just summon her!" She continued as she sort of absentmindedly played with my leg.  I could feel that at any moment she would twist or break it and I held my breath in anticipation.

"It's not fair that you already showed my sister!  All you little pricks always give her everything she wants just because she flashes some cleavage and giggles a little bit!  It's so pathetic!" Leonara complained as she continued to just fiddle with my leg.

"Either break it or leave it alone! I shouted at her as she toyed with me.

This surprised her a little as she gave me a strange look but ultimately did stop and just held my leg between her fingers. I felt the pressure on my captured limb increase, and she seemed to be focused on it now.  I could only let out an involuntary scream as my bone neared it's breaking point until. . . .

We both felt it at the same time.

I was more than used to it by now, but Leonara had a panicked look on her face as she turned to face the tree she had completely obliterated to she Olivia emerge from the snapped branches, her eyes glowing green along with a green aura.

The death goddess.

Almost unconsciously, Leonara released my leg and held me to her right before dropping me like trash.  I plummeted 75 feet to the ground below, landing in an unmoving heap.  Next she drew her sword as she just focused on the god-infused slayer before her.

Olivia swayed gently back and forth momentarily before she went rigid. . . . Then went on the attack.

With only one hand, she sent a towering diagonal prayer towards her enemy.  Leonara timed it perfectly, performing the trademark pirouette parry, but the force of the attack actually threatened to knock her off balance this time.  She planted her lited foot and was actually slid back by the force, if only an inch or two.

Olivia didn't wait for a counter attack, waving her sword again and again as two green slashes blazed toward Leonara, but Leo did successfully dodge the first attack and deflect the second off to the right.  While the power level was closer now, Leonara did still have a strength advantage here.  She didn't seem to be struggling, but it wasn't as effortless as it was before.

Leonara did seem to be hesitant to push her attack though, as she watched Olivia just stand there, swaying in the wind, unnaturally.  Her grip tightened on her sword as she prepared an attack of her own.  She was just about to take a step when Olivia lashed out again.

This time, she wound up her body then sent herself into a fast spin.  She prayed from within the spin, sending massive, deadly rings surging outward.  Finally with this attack, Leonara finally showed some emotion, as her eyes got wide and she actually had to turn and run from the attack. Using her long legs, she sprinted away from the ever expanding ring of energy as it cut trees in half.  She darted in and out of them, covering massive distance with her strides,until eventually the attack lost steam at greater distance and that is when she counter attacked.

Never breaking stride, she arched around and headed back toward Olivia, who had come to a stop and was just standing idle, swaying back and forth in the death goddess' trance.  Leonara picked up speed, closing the distance fast and hurtling over some fallen trees while straight trampling others.  Olivia responded, throwing out a barrage of prayers, but all were ineffective, either straight up dodged, or deflected just enough to keep her pace up.

With a final dodge, Leonara burst through the clearing, sword raised above her head.  She broke from her sprint, planting her feet, sliding to a stop like an ice skater and using the incredible momentum of her body to swing her sword down on Olivia.  The devastating result was like an asteroid hitting the ground, causing a shockwave and rain of dirt and rock that knocked me back a few feet and I wasn't even near the epicenter.

Even with the strength of the death goddess coursing through her veins, Olivia couldn't withstand the blow and was blasted back.  Her body smashed into the trunk of a large tree and became embedded, while also splitting the tree vertically.  Any normal slayer would have been completely obliterated with no trace, and even the death goddess seemed to be overwhelmed by the sheer brutality of the attack, at least while bound into this particular vessel.

The more times you invited her in, the more of her own strength she could use.  Since this was Olivia's first time, she was limited, and had to go well beyond the safe limit to even hold Olivia's body together.  It was apparent that every bone in her body had shattered from the impact, but still she twitched unnaturally under the death goddess' influence as the uncaring goddess tried to force her to get up.

Halfway across the clearing,  Leonara stood completely still, just studying Olivia, her sword still at the ready as she breathed heavily.  She was honestly surprised that the slayer had taken that attack and remained "relatively" unscathed.  That blow would have shattered the weapon of a full blown giant, and if not for Juliette's superior craftsmanship, her own weapon wouldn't have held up to it.

Yet here was this woman, obviously catastrophically injured, but still arguably conscious and able to move.  And it seemed like every moment, her movement became a little more normal.   Leonara knew she could just kill her if she wanted to, but she also just wanted to see if the slayer could make a full recovery.

Everything was still and quiet for a full 10 minutes before finally Olivia managed to dislodge herself from the splintered tree, landing on her hands and knees on the ground.  Leonara eyes widened as she watched the woman stand slowly, and begin to sway, just as she had been before.

"That truly is incredible!" Leonara breathed, quietly.  "But having seen the full extent of the goddess' power, I have no more use for you, at least.  Antony Lockwood is still coming with me, but you can finally join your fallen friends in the afterlife, knowing you fought honorably." She proclaimed, matter of factly.

Olivia said nothing, but lifted her sword, which was now chipped and slightly bent.  Leonara herself was still on guard and ready for the next attack.  Olivia began to charge forward, a steady stream of horizontal attacks being released but it was immediately obvious  that they had nowhere near the previous ferocity on them now.  Leonara chose to block them, not struggling in the least, as the seemingly random attacks gently drove her to her right.

It was then that Olivia had a sudden burst of speed and passed right by Leonara, heading straight for me.  She reached out and grabbed me, throwing me over her shoulders and sprinting for the trees.  Fortunately, they had all been cut down and the ground was a mess of branches and leaves.  Leonara followed but she soon lost sight of the two slayers in the chaos.  She continued to search for about 20 minutes, but ultimately gave up wasting her time.  It really made no difference because she knew where they were headed, and she was going there now too.

It was time to confront Ant's entire party, and whipe them all out once and for all.

 

Chapter 33 by Stevie
Author's Notes:

Went in a bit of a different direction with this chapter, but it helps to keep me from getting burned out of this story.  I decided to bring in a character from a story I wrote on here under a different pen name.  The story was house on the hill.  Go check that out.  It had a few interesting concepts to it.

"Hold still" Olivia instructed, and a moment later she painfully reset my broken arm.  

I was laying on my back on the ground as Olivia cleaned my wounds and pulled slivers of tree bark out of my skin.  I stared at the sky, contemplating the fight we just had.

"So. . . How was it?" I asked, with as much enthusiasm in my voice as I could muster, considering my body was on the edge of shock.

"How was what?" She replied, focusing on a piece of bark.

"You know. . . Your first time with the death goddess!" I exclaimed, offering her a soft, friendly punch in the shoulder.

"Touch me again and I'll break your one good arm! She threatened, as she tightly tied the dagger she had pulled from my shoulder to my broken arm, as a means to keep it straight as it healed.  "And it was as unpleasant as I expected it to be." She finished, quietly.

"But what about the power?  It feels good, doesn't it?" I asked, trying to relate to her in any way.

"It never once felt like my power. . . My decisions.  She just uses us, Ant.  To satisfy whatever dark urges she is having!  I can still feel her crawling on my skin!  I. . . . Need a bath." Olivia explained, genuine disgust on her face.

"So then why do it?  Why put yourself through that? You and your friends were so high and mighty about the death goddess when we first met!" I replied, wincing as she pulled another piece of bark out from my leg.

"It's not like it matters anymore anyway.  The end of the world is upon us.  If I'm going to die, I want to be able to say I did everything I could and gave it my all. " she said, plucking another piece of bark.  "You're a serious mess, little brother! It will be a miracle if all this doesn't get infected!"  She exclaimed, continuing to pluck.

"I know. . . . Isn't Leonara just a joy!" I said, faking a smile. 

"That woman is a demon.  A plague on the world!" Olivia answered, clenching her fists. "We need to hurry up and get back to Pherron so we can join the fight!"

"Where are we even?. . . And why were you the only one who came to rescue me?" I asked, staring up at the sky.

"We are a two and a half days ride from there.  And as for why nobody else came but me. . . . The problem is, your friends are all assholes, but so are you. . . " Olivia said, trying to be "sensitive" about how she spoke to me.

It didn't honestly surprise me.  It wasn't the first time that a person would wake up to somebody being gone.  

"But anyway. . . Let's get moving, I think a storm is rolling in." She commanded, pulling the last bit of bark from my skin.

Famous last words, because an hour later, we were in the middle of the worst storm I had seen in years.  By now, I was running a fever, and though it was a bit emasculating, Olivia made me ride in front of her on the horse to keep me from passing out and falling off.  The storm raged on, pissing rain from every angle and the horse seemed to struggle to push through it.  Not to mention, odd amount of lighting strikes for the area.  Every few seconds, a bolt would strike the ground just off into the distance, spooking the horse and causing Olivia to barely keep control.

Then it happened.

Out of the sky, lightning struck within 10 feet of us.  I was too slow to shield my eyes and was blinded by the light as everything went white.The horse reared up, dumping first Olivia, then me down on top of her before running off into the woods. We landed hard on the muddy ground.  Irritated, Olivia gently rolled me off of her and stood.  I opted to stay down briefly, between the fever and the broken arm, I just needed a bit of a rest.

"Look!  There. . . . There is a cabin up ahead with the lights on!" Olivia said, constantly wiping water out of her eyes. "It. . . . I swear there was nothing there a minute ago." She added, a bit confused.

I held my eyes open, letting the rain cool them for a moment before standing up, and sure enough, about 150 yards away, there was the soft,orange, flickering light of a cabin in the distance.  

Olivia looked around for any sight of her horse, but it was long gone by now. 

"Let's go!  We can take shelter there from this infernal storm!  We will try to find her in the morning once the storm has passed!" She called, though I could barely hear her over the sound of the heavy rain. 

Olivia began to march eagerly toward the cabin, but I was reluctant.  Something about it seemed off other than the fact that it literally came seemingly out of nowhere.  Just then, as if to drive my dedecision, the rain seemed to get even heavier.  Clutching my cloak tighter over my shoulders, I followed, and caught up with her a few steps down the way.

"Something about that cabin doesn't feel right!" I shouted to her as we neared it, getting a brief, better look in another flash of lightning.

"Well, we damn sure aren't staying out here in this weather!" She replied.  "Besides, what could possibly be in there that is worse than who we just faced?" 

She had a point there. . . 

Olivia stepped up the 4 steps on the front of the porch and moved to the left window, peeking in.  I followed suit, going to the right.

The cabin was one big room.  Fairly standard looking I would say, with a big, high table in the center, a fireplace in the back wall, a large, brick bath in the back right corner and a massive bed in the back left.  All pretty normal, but that is where the normality ended. . . 

For one, there was nobody inside.  The pot on the countertop was steaming like somebody was in the middle of making tea, and there was food on it as well, but not a soul in sight. There were also probably about 100 odd candles lining the walls.  Beyond that was the bones everywhere. . . . By far the biggest red flag.  What appeared to be human remains hanging from chains at random around the cabin but not only that. . . . In various different sizes ranging from slayers to incredible tiny. . . 

Olivia seemed to be undeterred by any of that, and moved to the front door.  She knocked loudly twice, barely giving it two seconds before swinging it open to the inside. I waited a moment after she disappeared inside, before I followed, my good arm holding the handle to my sword.  By the time I got around the corner, Olivia had already sat down at the table and casually began removing soaked clothing.


"Don't you think we should wait awhile?  See if anyone is going to come back here?" I asked, cautiously looking around at everything for any clue as to who the owner of the place might be. 

"Were you on this high of alert when you got captured by that bounty hunter?" Olivia asked, successfully scoring one point on me as she finished removing her soaked cloak, before wringing her hair out all over the floor.  Then, she walked around the room, lighting every strange looking candle on the walls.  She also started drawing the bath water.

"You're serious going to take a bath he. . ." My voice trailed off as I noticed several piles of clothes on the floor.  The weapons were still stayed as well and every pile had a pair of boots beneath them.

It also appeared that someone had been eating at the table, as there was a half-eaten sandwich on a plate and a bowl of freshly picked mushrooms. By the time I looked back, Olivia had also stripped out of her clothes and was just sliding under the surface of the hot bath water, her calves and bare feet hanging out, as the tub wasn't made for somebody nearly 7 feet tall.  She sighed with content as she layed her head back and closed her eyes .

"Finally!  I can scrub the stench of the death goddess off of me!" She said, happily.  "Maybe if this water is hot enough, I can forget it every happened!"

"I promise you, she won't let that happen!" I said solemnly as I sat down at the table and started to remove my own soaked gear, careful around my arm. 

"Well. . . Whatever.  We might all be dead by this time next week anyway." She replied, before going completely silent. 

Things were quiet for awhile as the rain continued to hammer down on the cabin, legitimately harder than I had ever seen it rain before. Every few seconds lighting would flash outside the window, followed immediately by massive thunder cracks.  Around the room, the candles had begun to fill the air with a peculiar scent that felt heavy in my lungs and seemed to make it hard to keep my eyes open. 


"O-Olivia?. . . " I called, as the room began to show the slightest signs of changing around me.  Her eyes were still shut, and I thought I could hear her lightly snoring.  "Fucking great!" I said loudly, before standing up.  

Suddenly, the room started to shift and I nearly fell over. "Olivia!" I cried, this time loud enough to wake the dead, but she remained asleep, murmuring something quietly, before turning her head away. 

This was bad.  My mind was slipping into a fog now, and my strength was leaving me as I slumped down against the wall.  My eyes failed to focus and that's when I saw it. . . . What appeared to be 4 tiny beings, hiding under the table, staring at me.  It was the last thing I remembered before I passed out.








"Hey. . . .hey!  Slayer. . . Wake up!" 


I opened my eyes and slowly focus on the group of four, naked humans before me.  2 men and 2 women. The man who had woken me, stood and stepped back to the others. They all looked terrified.

"What. . .what the hell happened?" I asked, standing up to find that I too was naked now.  The answer was all too obvious as I looked around to see that the cabin was absolutely massive now, and we were standing next to a soaked pile of clothes that I used to wearing.

"The same thing that happened to us. . . We came to this cabin to get out of that ungodly storm!" The other man explained.

"It seemed to appear out of nowhere, after a flash of lightning?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"That's right!" The taller, darker haired woman confirmed.

"Everything seemed fine until we lit those fucking candles! The first man, a short, skinny, long haired, older man added. 

I looked up to see that all the candles were out now.  They looked as though they had never been lit.  To our right, I also couldn't any trace of Olivia either. Her feet where no longer sticking out of the tub.

"She shrunk too!" The dark haired woman answered, before I even asked.  "But she hasn't come out of the tub yet! She may have drowned."

"Shit!" I sighed, as I began to walk toward the bath, preparing to climb up and rescue her but I was interrupted by a particularly large crack of thunder that sounded right outside the door.

We all looked in that direction, and I swore I saw the silhouette of somebody outside on the front porch.  Another crack of thunder, and another and another.  I looked around to see that the humans were no longer standing around me, but instead had fled back under the table where I had seen them before.  Keeping my eye on the door, I followed suit, taking cover under a lower shelf built into the table.

Three more thunder claps that shook the entire cabin before silence. . .

The humans were all back in the farthest shadows of the table now, as I hung out, watching the door.

A moment later it swung open and a massive, hooded figure stepped in from the storm, dripping wet.  They looked around the cabin for a moment, before closing the door.

"Get out of sight!" One of the humans yelled from behind me.

I stayed where I was, watching as the giant being lifted their hands to their head and removed the hood,  revealing a gorgeous, raven-haired woman, in her twenties. She had tattoos that appeared to be smeared make up, as though she had been crying, beneath her eyes.

"Relax!  It's just another traveler!" I said, somewhat quietly.

"You. . . You and your friend didn't make thunder like that when you walked!" The short, skinny man hissed at me, from his hiding spot.  

I wasn't quiet sure what he meant by that until the woman began to strip off her wet clothes as well.  Every normal small step she took, shook the entire cabin and sounded like thunder.  She shed her coat, revealing a short sleeved shirt underneath, and bare arms covered in tattoos, in great contrast with her snow white skin. 

She also stepped out of her soaking boots, delicately placing her bare feet on the wooden floor, before pulling her pants off as well and kicking them gently aside and leaving her in soaked panties, leaving nothing to the imagination on her completely tattooed body.  Her toe nails were painted black as well as her finger nails.  She glanced casually around the cabin before she spoke.

"Hmm. . . . . It would seem I have some guests on this most blustery of nights." She exclaimed, and I swore her gaze went straight to me, before I could duck out of sight.

It was honestly more unnerving not being able to see her, and the woman who hadn't spoken yet let a shrill scream as a thunderous footstep shook us down to our bones.  Though she was a giant to us and her footsteps would be relatively heavy, this was something different.  The entire cabin quaked beneath her, not just the vibrations of her feet.  It was almost as though she shook reality itself with her steps.  

The giant woman was moving around the table to her right, and all the humans held in a collective scream as her giant feet came into view.  My own knees threatened to buckle from the concussion of her steps.  Her delicate toes moved to my clothing, lifting and sifting through them until she was satisfied there was nobody inside.  I saw the blade of my sword lift out of view.  

"Hmm. . . . Curious!" The woman said, examining my sword in the light of the cabin.  She flipped it around in her hand like a practiced swordsman, although it was much too large for her.  If I had to guess, she was no taller than about 5 foot 5, but she handled my blade like it weighed nothing.

A moment later, she placed it back against the wall, and moved on to Olivia's gear, giving it all the same treatment. 

"Could it be?!  Two slayers came to visit me?!" The giantess exclaimed, girlishly.  "What a treat!  I thought all of them had been wiped out by that dreadful woman!" She added, some disdain in her voice.

"It must be my lucky day!  I can't wait to play!" She squealed, clapping her hands with joy.  "Oh!  And here is one now!" 

I peered out from under the table and witnessed her reach into the bath and extract a naked little Olivia from the water.  The woman placed her on the edge of the tub, and placed a finger on Olivia's stomach, pushing gently under a fountain of water gushed from her mouth, waking her in a coughing fit. The woman chuckled.

"Any longer in there, and you might not have woken up from that!" She said, bending at the knees to get a closer look.

Olivia was a mess, as first the realization that she had almost drown hit her, followed by the shocking discovery that she had also been shrunk and was now face to face with a woman who bore a slightish resemblance to Leonara.  It was all too much for her, and she took off running down the ledge, away from the woman.

"Oh no you don't little one!" The woman laughed, extending her hand out to grab Olivia.  

Olivia spun around, putting her hands out to stop the woman, but to her absolute terror, the woman's slender fingers pushed past her guard like nothing, wrapping her up firmly from her toes to her neck. Olivia let out a pained groan as the woman's considerably light grip seemed to almost crush her.  She was lifted from the bath, and held up to the woman's face.  Then the unexpected happened.

The giantess' massive, long, pink tongue snaked from between her lips, finding it's way to Olivia's face.  Olivia let out a muffled scream as the tongue invaded her body.  The giant's grip loosened to allow her tongue in, and it toured Olivia's prone body to the extreme from head to toe, missing not an inch, before retreating back into her mouth.
"Hmm. . . That's. .  . You have a very distinct flavor to you! I've never tasted anything like that on one of you!" She exclaimed as she placed Olivia in a "large" glass jar on the table. 

Immediately Olivia made a fist, and smashed it into the glass, but no shattering followed.  Only a full blown scream of pain now as she withdrew her bloody hand, holding it to her chest.

"I suppose you are wondering what's going on here, huh?" The giant woman asked, bending down and peering at Olivia through the glass. 

"I swear on the gods I'm going to rip you to shreds if you don't let me out of here, right now!" Olivia roared, although it was not much beyond a squeak at her current size.

"And I'm sure outside these walls that would very, very likely be the outcome." The woman replied, holding her pointer finger up to the glass. "But in here, you aren't exactly your. . . Over-powered self.  You see, while the candles on the wall shrink humans and slayers the same. . . They have a more drastic effect on slayers."

Olivia only fumed, fists clenched and dripping blood.

"No need for long, lengthy explanations, but essentially you are as weak as a human would be at that size. Also, you can't use your prayers either!" The woman smirked, before standing back up to her normal height, towering over the jar.

"What are you?" Olivia demanded, through clenched teeth.

"I'm a human. . . Technically. . "The giantess answered, shrugging as she began to walk back around the table. 

"Those markings all over you. . . You're a witch!" Olivia shouted as her massive captor walked away. 

The comment seemed to strike a bit of a nerve as the woman stopped in her tracks and turned back to face the jar.

"That word. . . . Is just a term that the king uses to execute women he can't control!" The woman barked in Olivia's face, slamming her fists on the table top and crumpling her tiny prisoner with the force.  "We prefer. . . . . Enlightened ones." She finished, before turning away and resuming her search.  Olivia said nothing in response.

Again the giant's feet came into view facing us, but instead of passing by, a wave of terror washed over us as she dropped to her hands and knees directly in front of us, her eyes focused on us like she already  knew exactly where we were. The humans didn't wait to see what she had planned and sprinted for the other side of the table.  

I stood my ground, knowing that there was no outrunning giants or giant witches or whatever this woman was.  Her giant, black eyes looked me up and down, sizing me up.

"Seeing as how you didn't flee in terror, my guess is that you must be the other slayer. . " she said, simply.  "Although you could pass for a tall human I suppose" she added, commenting on my less than giant stature even as a slayer.

I didn't respond, charging her face and grabbing hold of two locks off her, wet, black hair, planning to deal with her like I had Emelia.  Only this time, I snapped my arms, expecting to smash her face into the planks of wood that made up the floor, but nothing happened.  Her giant head didn't budge and I didn't even manage to pull a strand of hair from her head.

She gave me a puzzled look, before her hand came for me. There was no time to run as her fist gobbled me up, and my chest was compressed to the point where I could hardly breathe, on top of  my broken arm being crushed as she stood up to her height. Usually my strength would have kept her at bay or been outright too much for her, but it was like she didn't even feel me now.

I looked out of my flesh prison to see Olivia on the table in the jar. I thought I was about to join her, but instead, the giant lifted me to her face.  A moment later, her tongue crept from her mouth, and against my wishes and struggles, met with my face. I held my breath as it threatened to suffocate me, before moving down my bare chest, focusing briefly on my nipples then assaulting my arm, before moving down to my hardening member.  

It lingered there as I squirmed uncomfortably for a moment until it was rewarded with the deposit of my modest load.  The witch withdrew her tongue with a chuckle, before looking me in the eyes.

"The response is expected I would say. . . But your taste!. . . Even stronger than your partner!  It's the essence of a god!. . . . This is curious indeed!  You two must have some story to tell. . . " she declared before finally lowering me into the jar.

I was deposited beside her.  I gave her a look of "I fucking told you so!" And she held her arms up defensively, allowing her bare tits to swing free.

"Shit!" She cussed, covering them up with her arm, then sitting down and crossing her legs to cover up the rest of her.  

There was no time to focus either on her body, or yelling at her for getting us into this mess, as the giant woman thundered around the table again, and after disappearing below the surface of the table, she stood a moment later with two humans in each fist.   She gave them each a taste, apparently finding nothing of note, but draining a load from the other two men as well, before she unceremoniously tossed them in the jar with us, kicking and screaming. 

Her giant face looked at us through the glass, her cold eyes felt like they were piercing through our bodies into our soles.  The quiet human woman, who I noticed had red hair, had begun to weep now.  The human men stood stoic enough, while Olivia did her best to keep her dignity.

"I have quite the full house tonight!" The giant exclaimed, giggling. "Oh!  How rude of me!  You guys can call me Deziree!" She said, as she stuck out her hand and did a mock handshake with all of us.


"You know the village won't stand for this!" The taller, more solid built man yelled at her.  "Let us go and we will act like this never happened!" He bargained. 


"The village can kiss my fat ass!" Deziree spat back at him.  "I don't know about you, but I don't personally go around breaking into other people's cabins!" 

Again I gave Olivia the death glare, and this time she silently mouthed "I will kill you!" Or something along those lines.  

"It was the storm of the century out there!" The man argued, and as if to punctuate his point, a massive thunder crack shook the entire cabin. "We didn't have any choice but to seek shelter here!"

"You may have honestly been better off getting a little wet outside! Not that I'm complaining, by the way!" Deziree said as she grabbed her wet shirt, pulling it over her head in one, smooth motion, letting her fat, heavy, pale tits drop into view.  Every pair of eyes in the cabin were on her now as she toweled herself off, with her back to us, although the male eyes lingered noticeably longer.

"For fuck's sake!" The dark haired woman spat, slapping the skinny man in the back of his head, snapping him out of his tit induced trance.

The giantess smirked at us over her shoulder, giving him a knowing look.  He shook his head and tried to look anywhere other than at the giant, gorgeous woman before him.

"This IS going to be fun!  It's been so long since I've had any company!  Nobody travels this way since that giant bitch began wiping everyone out, up here in the north." She explained, tossing the towel aside and hooki

This caught my and Olivia's attention.  Could she be referring to Florence?

"What did this giant look like?" Olivia asked, finally standing and putting her hands on the glass. 

The woman's smirk got a little wider as She neared the jar again, her big tits hanging on full display now.  

"Why?  Do you think that you and your scrawny little friend here have any chance against her?" She mocked, staring Olivia down.  Olivia only returned the look, unblinking.  "She. . ." Deziree began, but then laughed off the thought, shaking her head, and I got the briefest hint of fear.

"She's huge!  First of all.  Bigger than any giant I have ever seen!" Deziree said, seemingly trying to justify her fear.  "Long, curly, strawberry blonde hair. . . Pale. . . .pale blue eyes." 

"You scared?" Olivia asked, with a chuckle.

"You would have to be stupid not to be. . . . These humans can vouch for that." She replied, and the humans nodded their agreement.

"Ha!  Why would I care what a bunch of humans think about a giant?" Olivia laughed, though I wasn't sure where this confidence was coming from.

"Because. . . We all saw how many of your kind went to face her and never came back." Deziree stated solemnly, genuine pity in her voice. "And sure, I take my fair share of prey, but her. . . . . Senseless." 

"Well if you change us back, we are on a mission to kill her!" Olivia declared, like it might make some kind of difference.

Deziree laughed in response.

"You'll only end up as a grease spot in a field somewhere, believe me.  It's only my magic that allows me to stay here.  And that's only to hide from her, mind you! Even the village that these humans speak about is 50 miles east of here!  Everything west of here is her territory now and anyone who challenged that is long gone." Deziree explained, halfheartedly.

"But enough about that massive cunt!  It's time you little people took care of THIS massive cunt!" Deziree said, hooking her thumbs into her panties and pulling them down to reveal said cunt.  She wiggled out of the soaked underwear, kicking them aside as she reached over, grabbing the mouth of the jar and carrying us all over to her giant bed and climbing on, pushing her animal skin blankets aside.

"I've been aching for this for so long!" She moaned as her hand reached into the jar, selecting the taller man and the dark haired woman.  She layed back on her pillows, holding one in each hand before bring them to her breasts.  Her left nipple stifled the protests of the woman as she was squashed against the tit, and beneath Deziree's hand.  Her struggling seemed to be exactly what the giant with was looking for, because she squirmed with ecstacy at the slightest movements as the two tiny humans fruitlessly fought against her. 


As riveting as the whole human-giant sex scenario was, I pried my eyes away, focusing as much as my still foggy brain would allow as I tried to find a way out before Deziree's attention was turned back to us.  Looking up, I noticed that the mouth of the jar might just be in reach if I boosted Olivia on my shoulders.  I motioned to her, and knelt down as the other man helped her to stand on my shoulders.  

Unfortunately that was as far as I got. . . .

Having forgot about not having my usual strength, I found that my current, lanky human proportions weren't enough to lift the equally scaled down 7 foot tall, 400 pound Olivia from my position on one knee. I strained to stand, my moan of effort matching a moan of pleasure from Deziree as she used her middle fingers to push the screaming faces of the humans down into her nipple. 

"What the fuck are you doing, Ant?" Olivia whispered down to me, furiously.

"You're too heavy!" The human man interjected, saving me the trouble of having to dance around the situation as he added his muscle to the lift, and we finally managed to gain some height.  A few seconds and a ton of effort later, we finally got her to the rim of the jar, but it was all for not as Deziree's knee accidentally bumped the jar, causing Olivia to tumble down on top of me. 

I let out a groan of pain as my body was just as equipped to be crushed by 400 pounds as it was to lift it, which was not at all.  Surprisingly, the commotion didn't catch Deziree's attention, but it didn't matter because before we could muster another attempt she was setting the two limp, seemingly unconscious or dead humans off to her side, before she turned back to us.

"Who's next?" She asked, smiling but looking slightly dazed from the pleasure.  "I'm good and primed now!" 
We all scrambled back against the class, delusional that it would offer us any escape, from this giant, horny woman and as such, the redhead was plucked by her arm, screaming bloody murder.

Her screams only seemed to fuel Deziree's lust, and that long, intrusive tongue made another appearance, licking up the woman's tears and flicking at her tits.  She tried desperately to cover herself but her free hand was brushed away even easier than mine had been as the giant muscle had it's way with her.

The woman was brought up to the witches mouth, and her screams of terror were blended slightly with moans of pleasure as her own breasts were slurped messily into the giantess' mouth.  Soon, they were replaced completely as the giant tongue snaked down to her pussy, lapping at her with a steady persistence and practiced precision until it earned her yet another orgasm, this time courtesy of the redhead.

Deziree looked satisfied, and utterly condescending, as the woman lay limp and panting in the palm of her hand. The tranquility only lasted a minute though as Deziree's grip switched up, holding the woman delicately between her fingers.  The screams returned immediately as the woman's face was pressed down into the smooth, soft, tattooed skin of Deziree's stomach. 

She tried in vain to fight as she was made to trace around Deziree's giant body, getting stuffed into every intimate crack and crevice from head to toe, earning continuous moans and squeals of pleasure, until by the time she was allowed to breathe freely again, she was soaking in sweat that wasn't her own, and tears that were, as she had changed from terrified screams to broken, heavy sobs as her life worth was slowly and thoroughly stripped from her.  I longed to stand up for her, but the harsh realities of being more or less human, meant that she was going to get used and abused and there was nothing any of us could do about it.

And unfortunately, things were about to get even worse for her. Again she was pressed to the witches flat, but soft and feminine stomach, only this time she was made to travel straight south. Screams and sobs of protest were muffled, then silenced as the giantess had her way with the human, placing her middle finger on the mop of red hair and using it to insert the woman's entire head inside her.  

"Oh fuck!  Your screams feel amazing!" Deziree moaned, her toes curling and eyes closed.

"Are you just going to stand there and do  nothing?!" The human man shouted at us.  "Save her!" 

"We could probably lift you out of the jar. . ." I said, flatly.

The man gave me a look of disbelief at the suggestion, his eyes wide. 
"Go ahead. . " I added, webbing my hands to give him a boost.

He looked out at Deziree, who had stuffed the poor woman even further inside her now.  Up to her ankle, which the giantess had in her fingers as she steadily pumped the little woman in and out of her puffy pussy lips.  The red head offered no resistance now, and was completely limp.

"Fine!  Just hurry up!" The man snapped, and a moment later, I was hoisting his much lighter body up to the rim.  He clumsily clambered over the top, and ungracefully fell to the bed below.  It took him a second to stand, and he stood unmoving as he took in the woman's sheer size.

Another deep moan from Deziree spurred the man's action, and he ran up to her naked thigh, punching it with all his might. Though his strength was weak, she did notice him and was not amused as she was completely removed from the moment.

Her face was flushed and sweaty and she wore a scowl on it, as she nearly squashed the man under her ass as she moved to get a better look at him.

"Le-leave her alone, whore!" The man stammered,  with no fire in his gut. It was likely imperceptible to her, but the man was shaking with fear as he barely managed to even stand near her.

". . . . . Fine." She replied finally after glaring him to death.  A moment later there was a slick slurping sound as she removed the tiny woman from her depths.  Her body hung limp and lifeless from the giant's finger tips.  "Ooo. . . . I may have over done it this time!" She said, wincing at the sight of the soaked woman.

"You fucking cunt!" The man screamed, his actually cracking with emotion.

I though Deziree's eyes might actually burn a hole in the man as she stared him down.  Without looking away for even a moment, she carelessly deposited the woman into a heap on the bed next to the other two humans who were still presumably and hopefully unconscious.

"You humans never do learn, do you?" She asked, as her hand slowly came for the man.  

He let out a scream of terror as he clambered over the covers but his best efforts were not enough, and a moment later, he was snatched up and wrapped in her fist.  She brought him up to her face, unconsciously playing with her nipple with her free hand as she looked him over.  

"So frail. . . . Your lifespan so short. . . . Yet you let your emotions run wild at the drop of a hat, don't you? Deziree asked, loosening her fist to let him dangle by his hair just above her face.  He screamed bloody murder now as he clutched his hair to relieve the pain.

"You cold-blooded bitch!" The man shouted, managing to regain his composure somewhat.  

"You have some mouth on you, for someone who's barely longer than my finger!" She exclaimed in reply, giving him a cruel swing.

"You. . . Foul whore!  You'll burn for this, just like your sisters!" He screamed back, still clutching his scalp.

This was apparently the the wrong thing to say to the woman, because the next thing he knew, the man was being helicoptered above Deziree's head by his hair.  His previous pained screams were now a gurgled mess of sounds as the waves of agony washed him over.

"I doubt an entire human lifetime would be enough to teach you to keep your mouth shut, but I will attempt to enlighten you all the same!" Deziree growled.  She kept him spinning for what seemed like forever before he was suddenly brought down, slamming into the soft bed, although it still looked painful and there was a solid sound of bones readjusting themselves when he hit. 


The man was a real mess now.  He lay, unmoving and his eyes were still turning circles in his skull. A second later, he vomited green and tan all over the bedding.  Blood was seeping from his scalp as well.  It looked as though he might try to stand, but he collapsed almost immediately, vomiting again and just staying down this time.

"You have no right to speak of my sisters, you little shit!  You humans are mere bugs, roaming the earth for what amounts to the blink of an eye! The bottom of the food chain, and now. . Even when you're seeing your races inferiority as your kind is erased from the history books by giants, you still have the audacity to insult me!" The woman shouted in the man's face as she bent down and got her face near to his. Outside the cabin, impossibly, the storm picked up even more intensity, matching the infuriated giantess.
He only offered a pathetic groan in reply, as his body literally couldn't respond in any way.  This seemed to please the giantess as she kept him pinned to the bed in a puddle of his own sick with just her glare.

"No matter the literal short comings of man.  I could go on about that all day, but fortunately for you, you're about to be thoroughly educated on your place in the world!" Deziree said, her voice back to being calm and smooth, as she rolled onto her side, presenting us with all of that "fat ass" that the village could kiss.

She looked over her shoulder at us, drinking in our reactions.  I, being a male of straight orientation and already naked, was hard as a rock and not even trying to hide it. Olivia, on the other hand, looked at it with a mixed of disgust and jealousy as the well-endowed "human" made her bigger, but much more toned and athletic body seem lacking in the ingredients that mindless men craved.  She also gave me and little ant the death glare for our validation of our captor.

Our small, incapacitated human friend just stared up at it in what could only be described as abject terror,as he immediately picked up on what his "education" was to be. With pure determination, he willed his limbs into motion as he attempted to crawl away, leaving a trail of smeared vomit behind him, but the cruel giantess had other plans.  She let him drag himself a good 10 or 15 scale feet, before reaching down and tangling him up in her all encompassing fingers.

"You. . . Godless heathen!" He tried to shout, but it came out as more of a defeated whimper as he was brought back face to face with her enormous ass.   He still struggled and squirmed but she didn't even seem to notice now as she maneuvered his legs together and just inside her hole.

"In you go!" Was all the ceremony she allotted him, before he was forced inside of her with a manicured finger on top of his tiny head.  She stuffed him in until his muffled screams and sobs were smothered in ass cheek and became embedded in her moans of absolute pleasure.  Only his arms, above his head were visible as his hands clasped at anything beyond his stark reality.

The whole thing was too much for Olivia  as she finally sat down, her back against the glass and facing away from the exhibition of the enlightened one/human hierarchy.  I really didn't blame her.  Her entire life had been devoted to a cause she could no longer stand behind.  Her strongest efforts proved to be fruitless against the woman who had taken most of the family she had ever known.  Her soul had been tainted by the death goddess, and now here she was, facing almost certain death at the hands of this horny monster, instead of on her own terms, on a battlefield, with a sword in her hands.

She put her head in between her knees and her hands over the back of her head, and just stayed that way, trying to drown out the sound of our failures behind her.  And behind her was a dire sight indeed.

Deziree had ascended to another plain of pleasure as she began pumping the arrogant little man in and out of her asshole, grabbing his arms with a few fingers.  Her cheeks were so thick that the weight of them was enough to squish the man as he was repeatedly pulled in and out between them, giving him a tiny window to get air at the very height of the stroke, his face gasping like a fish at the surface of a pond, before being stuffed back in a second later, disappearing completely from view.

Her head was turned away from us now, resting in her right arm on her pillow, but her body told the tale as she shuddered and screamed with every stroke, shaking not only the bed, but the entire cabin with her moans.  She alternated speed, assaulting the man with a mixed of long, slow throws, followed by fast, short little jabs as his suffering earned ear splitting orgasm after ear splitting orgasm.  Looking around, I wasn't even sure the cabin could withstand much more as each and every scream seemed to warp the walls and rain water had begun to seep in.

Although by this point, I had begun to have the suspicion that this wasn't really a cabin at all. Which may have been a good thing, because it was arguably taking more of a pounding right now than Deziree's ass.  That being said, even I had seen enough by now and went to sit down next to Olivia, debating, then ultimately deciding to put an arm around her to attempt to comfort her.


It wasn't something I was used to, honestly. I couldn't speak for other groups of slayers, but in my family, we just saw the fucked up things we saw, and did the fucked up things we did, and never really stopped to absorb it or talk about it.  Like if we ever did stop, the payment for our actions would come due, and we were all ill equipped to make good on them.

Olivia did flinch at my touch, but relaxed a moment later when she realized that I wasn't Deziree. We sat in as much silence as was possible considering there was a giant woman behind us, pleasuring herself with an entire human body right behind us.  The whole scenario. . . Feeling so powerless. . . It was kind of eye opening.I couldn't tell if this was actually how I felt or if the smoke in the cabin was dulling my senses and will to fight and survive.

Deziree continued to have her way with the man for what seemed like forever.  I lost count of how many orgasms she wrung out of him, but by the time she was sweating and panting, the entire cabin floor was damp with rain water from her twisting reality and warping the walls. I turned around just in time to see her pulling the battered man from the depths of her asshole. He was blue and very very likely dead.  Deziree had a satisfied smirk on her face as she looked him over.


She gave him a brief shake to confirm he was dead, before callously tossing his corpse completely off the bed and down to the floor below with a thump and crunch of bones and splatter of innards.  A sound I had heard more than a few times in my line of work.  Giants would pick up a human and toss them as high as they could, letting them plummet to the ground and basically explode on impact.  If by some miracle he wasn't dead before, he definitely was now.

Olivia had momentarily looked up to see the man get tossed, but now her head was back between her legs and she had begun to weep.  It honestly sort of kind of maybe broke my heart just a little bit.  It's not like I was fond of her per say, but she had saved my life at least twice now so I guess I at least felt. . . Something. . . Towards her anyway.  Like another obnoxious, by the book, stiff, rigid, law abiding, older sister that I never ask for?

I was snapped out of my thoughts by the feeling of the bed bouncing as Deziree got on her knees and was now looming over the jar, eyeing her next victim.  Her eyes were glassy and her skin was damp with sweat.  Her raven black hair was also a mess now.  She was breathing heavy as well.

"Fuck, that was great!" She exclaimed as her hands rubbing down her tits, clearing them of sweat by wiping it onto the bed.  "I really needed this!  I've been cooped up in here, avoiding these giant cunts that have been running rampant for the last year, and so has everyone else.  Nobody's traveled through my forest  for months, then I get 6 in one night!" She exclaimed with a seductive moan of pleasure that vibrated the jar.

"And two slayers at that!" She added, peering at us through the side of the jar.  "My luck is starting to turn around it seems!  I suppose that is how it goes though. . There is only so much luck to go around, and somebody's has to run out for another's to turn around!" She explained, eyeballing Olivia before her placing her hands the rim mouth of the jar.

"Shit, if you pompous slayers would do your job, I wouldn't be so horny and I might have just let you go!  It's just 3 giant women and you all fuck it up and bring about the end of the human realm!" She complained to both of us as she began to reach into the jar for Olivia.
I knew I couldn't let that happen.  Standing, I put myself in between them.

"Don't fucking touch her!" I said, with all the authority I could muster. 

"Oh please!" Was all she spat at me, apparently unimpressed as she reached for me instead, grabbing my broken arm and giving it a squeeze.

I instantly crumbled to the floor of the jar as the white hot wave of pain flooded in and swamped my ability to stand.  Deziree gave me a mean spirited laugh and another squeeze. I only writhed in agony, screaming as my naked body squeaked on the glass. 





I had to admit. . . . . This constantly getting my ass kicked lately was getting a little old.  I tried my best not to rely on the death goddess lately, and not that she would have been of much help in our current, bizarre predicament, but at least my arm wouldn't be a broken, easy target for any and ever backwoods whore who wanted to have a go at me. Sure, we had got the victory over the super slayers, but ever since there, I had been getting the shit beat out of me, or fleeing for my life. . . . . I needed a change.

"You heartless cunt!" This time it was Olivia that stood, clutching Deziree's giant thumb and pulling, trying to get her to release me, but it was completely fruitless as it didn't even budge in the least. 

Deziree only chuckled, licking her lips as her attention turned to Olivia, although she had time enough to use her pointer finger tip to cruelly press my arm down into the glass as pain erupted inside me, earning blood curdling screams and threatening to pass me out.  A second later, she had the wriggling Olivia in her fist, hoisting her out of the jar, kicking and screaming obscenities at her.

"You've got some spunk left in you!" Deziree exclaimed, pleased as she held Olivia up to the light to get a better look at her. "I like that! Usually being exposed to the smoke for an extended period of time leaves you little creatures pretty out of it.  Like you're friend mister tough guy over there!" She explained, pointing to me.  

She wasn't wrong.  I definitely wasn't myself, though it had become impossible to tell whether reality itself was warped, or just my perception of it.  

"He looks like he barely knows where he is right now!" Deziree added, tapping cruelly on the glass with her free hand.  "And just out of curiosity. . . . How did you get that broken arm anyway?  Aren't your bones supposed to be nearly unbreakable? " she asked, as both her and by force Olivia, watched me in the jar.

"F-funny you should as-ask!" I replied, trying to be my normal, quick witted self, but the pain was racking my mind as I slowly and defiantly climbed back to my feet.  "Because some other, unrelated, giant, raven haired, cock sucking SLUT, THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE ENTERTAINING TO BREAK IT WITH HER BARE HANDS." I screamed at her at the top of my lungs. 

I prayed my insults and anger might draw her attention away from Olivia and bring her wrath on to me, but no luck.  She wasn't phased at all.

"You need to calm yourself!  You're being overdramatic.  All that screaming and getting upset with only spoil your flavor!" She said, before callously licking the side of Olivia's entire head, leaving a trail of spit between Olivia's face and her tongue. 

And with that, she layed back on her pillow, with Olivia dangling over her face by her hands, her tongue lapping at all of her intimate areas just to torture her as Olivia unleashed a torrent of insults and death threats to rival any I had ever heard.  Still, despite her best efforts, squirming and kicking, she was lowered to Deziree's waiting mouth.  Deziree's inhuman tongue coiled around Olivia's legs, binding them and pulling her in up to her waist.

Every fiber of my being told me to break out and help her, but I could literally feel the effects of the smoke altering my will and keeping me docile.  Even as Deziree toyed with my. . . Friend?. . Pulling her back out of her mouth, smacking her lips and savoring her flavor.  It must have been good because outside, the wind gained even more strength, howling through the cabin now, and threatening to extinguish the candles.

Down Olivia went again, her legs disappearing into the witch's mouth, and continuing up to her chest as Deziree's lips closed, pulling her in, before opening to get another grip.  While she was still fighting, it seemed as though Olivia knew this was the end.  Her screaming and yelling had stopped as Deziree's tongue coiled around her neck, choking her and pulling her the last little bit in until only Olivia's face was visible, trapped between her plump lips.  

This was it.  I wasn't sure if Deziree was capable of swallowing her whole, but it seemed she was about to try.  This. . . This was one of those deaths that has crossed every humans or slayers mind.  It was widely known that giants didn't eat humans. I'm sure maybe some had tried it, but I had never seen it or even heard of it.  That didn't stop a person from thinking about it, just by way of existing with individuals large enough to make it a reality.

I saw Deziree's throat muscles relax, and prepare for the final gulp. . . . 







Suddenly the largest thunder crack I had ever heard struck just outside the cabin.  It knocked dishes and candles off the shelves and crashing to the floor and   If I didn't see the complete panic on Deziree's face, I would have assumed that swallowing somebody whole was the greatest pleasure a person could achieve in this world.  She was apparently so disturbed that she nearly choked on Olivia, having to rush to pull her from her mouth to avoid suffocating with a spitty slurp and coughing fit.

Deziree just stared at the cabin door with intense focus, as if expecting somebody to walk in at any moment. To highlight the seriousness, she also placed Olivia's slimy body back in the jar, and slid to the edge of her bed.  I also noticed she had a human in each clenched fist now.

Another lightning strike.  Further off this time.  Deziree's eyes got wider, as if she had seen something outside the window in the light provided from the strike.  It was enough to send her into full panic now, and she began to chant something under her breath, clutching the humans tightly to her chest. Impossibly, the room got even more warped as magic. . . . A similar magic to what Monty used, began to flow around Deziree.

It really wasn't hard to believe my eyes at this point, considering all I'd seen, which is good. . . . . Because. . . . 

Deziree began to grow. 

Her limbs slowly expanded outward, of course with moans of pleasure as she seemed to be draining the humans of life force. Her eyes were closed as her body stayed in the same boner producing proportions, but she stretched from what I would guess was 5 ft 3 or 5 ft 4, up to 8. . 9. . . . .15. . .

Finally she came to a stop at a (relatively massive to us) 20 feet tall, knocking the jar off the bed, sending it crashing and shattering to the floor.  She tossed the mush that used to be the humans, off to the side and opened her eyes.  Apparently the fall was enough for both of us, because Olivia didn't rush to peel herself off the wood floor either.

Our "newly found freedom" didn't matter for even a moment though, as who or whatever Deziree had just grown herself for, kicked the cabin door off the hinges, smashing it into the countertop on the left and breaking even more dishes and candles.

Deziree wasted no time with words, kicking the entire, heavy table across the room.  It smashed through the wall of the cabin in a symphony of cracking wood and more glass, leaving a gaping hole in the wall that exposed everything to the storm raging outside.  My hazed mind struggled to even cope with seeing someone as massive as Deziree was to us now.  It was made worse as she stood, her height too much for the ceiling as she pushed her way through, completely shoving the roof off of the place like the lid on the box.

Rain poured in as the giantess stepped forward and it honestly felt like reality itself was being crumpled under her footfalls.  Despite not being under her steps, we were both pressed into the floor by the raw energy coming off of her now.  I guess this was her true form? 

*Another step and she was at the front wall.  She easily stepped through it, collapsing it outward as she appeared to be looking for her target, the rain soaking her naked body but not seeming to obstruct her view.  It took only a second to find the assailant as the massive oak table came hurdling out of the dark straight for her head.  She managed to dodge it barely, as it grazed her and it knocked her off balance.  

"Shit!" She shouted as she caught herself, scanning the trees for the attacker. 

This was a problem.  Whoever this was. . . . She couldn't sense them.  That should have been an impossibility.  Another step forward in the direction the table came from, smashed the cabin steps into splinters as the giantess began to cautiously stalk her prey.  There was no sign of them, but she had seen their silhouette in the cabin door.  She used all the clues to piece together her enemy.

Obviously, they were well versed in the ways of the enlightened ones.  The fact that she couldn't feel their presence in the void was proof of that.  As well, they were incredibly strong, being able to throw the entire heavy wooden table at her.  Not possible for a human or a plain enlightened one. So this had to be a slayer, but from what she had seen of them, they couldn't have been an inch over 6 feet tall.  So they were either fairly young, or a half breed of some kind.  Not that it mattered.  She was the queen of this realm and as such, had a very big bag of tricks up her sleeve.  She just needed to locate them.

Lucky for her, she wasn't made to wait.


As she walked out from the cabin and into the clearing around it, the slayer jumped from a tree branch near her head, blade drawn and ready to attack.  It was an alright plan, but he didn't count on her reflexes being so fast and before he had time to bail on it, she had a thick fist full of his cloak.  Using his own momentum against him, he was thrown brutally to the muddy ground, flat on his back, knocking the wind out of him.

A second later, a big bare foot was lifted high above him, and smashed down on his chest with realm warping force.  His eyes nearly popped out of his head as he  spit up a mouthful of blood and if that wasn't enough, the mud beneath him seemed to come alive, slowly pulling him down as rain poured into his eyes.  It looked like it might be a quick and easy fight, but the slayer remained calm, pulling a small dagger out to stab her foot, but she saw him and promptly lifted it out of the way.

Instead she gave him a kick in the stomach that sent him flying through the trees until he inevitably clipped one, causing him to spin around and land in a heap in the mud.  Deziree closed the distance, continuing to stock him, the thunder of her steps blending with the thunder in the sky.

Fortunately for him, he was able to keep his wits about him, and get to his feet quick enough to disappear behind the trees by the time she got to him.  She gazed through the rain, searching for any sign of him, but he was gone.  

As the sounds of her footsteps got further away, the massive pressure that had pinned us to the floor let up, and we could finally stand.  

"We need to get out of here!" I shouted to Olivia, who was visibly shaken, after almost losing her life in the most intimate of ways.  She only nodded her agreement and we began to run through the newly formed field of broken glass, wood splinters and rain water. 

In the distance, we could hear the clashing between the two enemies. Trees being broken, and thunder claps.  We made it to the wall where the door used to be, and looked out through the hole into the darkness.

It appeared the slayer was a fairly even match for Deziree.  I'm not sure if that is even a compliment considering she was only 20 feet tall, but he was holding his own anyway, considering how wild the fighting was, even by slayer standards.  The forest seemed to be alive, the trees stretching out to grab the slayer as he jumped through them avoiding chaotic slaps and swipes from Deziree.  It was pretty obvious that she wasn't really used to being that size.  One tree managed to snag his ankle just as he jumped, tripping him up and sending him plunging 30 feet down to the ground.  He landed with a roll that helped him regain his balance.

Deziree was on top of him immediately, but wild swings of his sword managed to keep her at bay, not wanting to get her fingers cut off, though I'm not sure why he didn't just use a prayer and be done with it.  He fought her off briefly, before the mud beneath him began to sink out of nowhere, yet again.  He had no choice  but to scramble out, but now the roots of the nearby trees reached for him as well, tangling his legs.  Only his strength kept him from being completely wrapped up but it slowed him down enough for Deziree to catch him.

He let out a grunt as she stepped onto his arm, pinning his sword down, opening up to punishment as she knelt over him and began to slap and pummel him.  He tried to use his free hand for defense but he was outmatched and overwhelmed, his head getting battered this way and that by fists as big as it was. 

He held out as long as he could, but one heavy, precise, straight right that bounced his head off the ground, put him to sleep.  Deziree rose from the ground and kicked his sword aside.  She grabbed a big fistful of his cloak, letting him drag and bounce behind her as she trudged back toward her demolished cabin.  

"Shit!  She's coming!  We need to go!" I said to Olivia, as I was just about to run, but she caught me by the arm.  

"It's no use Ant. . . ." She said, her voice deflated.  "She obviously knows exactly where we are at all times. This place . . .it's not our realm.  That slayer is our best chance.  Please just do not make her angry!" She pleaded with me. 

I didn't know how to even reply to that, but I also didn't have time, as around us, the cabin began to reassemble itself before our eyes.  By the time the immense footsteps got to the front door, it was as if nothing had happened, except for the soaked floor. 

We hid under the counter as Deziree opened the door and walked in, now back at her normal height.  She effortlessly tossed the man onto the table with a heavy thud. She took a moment to wring the water out of her hair, before she traced a finger over the man's unconscious face, then began to pop the buttons on his cloak with a finger and stripping him down to bare chest, which was covered in tattoos the same as hers.

We could do nothing but watch as she seemed to study his body, reading the ink like a fascinating book, tracing over the symbols and art with her slender fingers.  With great agility, she climbed up on the table and straddled the unconscious man.  Suddenly, she held her hand up, and an old, beat up leather book flew from the shelf and into her waiting hand.  She placed it on the his chest and began to flip through pages, looking back and forth between them and his body. . . . 


Deziree was so focused that she didn't seem to see the man's finger twitch.  Olivia looked to me to confirm if I had seen it.  We looked on as the man either WAS still unconscious or pretending to be.  Whatever he was doing, he should probably start to hurry it up, as Deziree seemed to have made sense of his markings and was rushing back through the pages to find something else now.

Apparently it wasn't in that book, because she reached out and grabbed another from the shelf.  Still distracted, she didn't see the man's hand fully outstretched now. . . . 

"What is he doing?" Olivia asked, leaning over to me.

"It looks as though he is calling something, just like the woman did with the books." I said, silently hoping it was something actually useful.  

Whatever he was doing, it was too late as Deziree found the page she was looking for, tapping it with her finger. She put her hands on his bare chest, digging in slightly with her long nails, and began to recite from the book. Both of their tattoos began to glow white, and the slayer immediately gave up the act, opening his eyes and screaming in pain.  

A second later, something crashed into the front door, and all of us looked to see the blade of his sword poking through the thick wooden door.  This did nothing to detour Deziree, who continued the spell, appearing to drain the man of energy as she struggled to pin him down.  Seeing that his sword was stuck outside, he made a different choice, and attempted to flip Deziree off of him.

While he did succeed, tossing her off to the side where she hit the wall and landed on her bed, he barely had any strength behind it. He weakly rolled off of the table, collapsing on the floor as he struggled for air.  Painfully slow, he made his way to the door.  Behind him, Deziree barely seemed to feel getting slammed into the wall.  She only watched him from her bed, intrigued with what he was going to do.  He opened the door, getting hit with a wall of rain as he attempted to pull his sword free. 

He had just about got it free when I felt it.  

Growth.

To my right, Olivia was growing as well and by the time he had it dislodged we were back to full height, towering over both him and Deziree.  He looked at us, a puzzled look on his face as to where we had come from.  

"Who the he-" was all he got out before both mine and Olivia's right arms rose, and our swords flew into our hands on their own, just the way the other Slayer's  had.  

Both of our faces would have shown shock as well. . . . If we had had any control of our bodies. . . . Instead, we were moving to the whims of our formerly towering mistress.  Her eyes were glowing again from her spot on her bed as she focused her power.  A second later we were both jerked into motion, attacking the slayer.  

To my surprise, for a man who was part of a race more violent than any other, his first words to us as we tried to cut his head off were "I don't want to kill you!" And true to his word, he only blocked and dodged our attacked as we backed him out the front door and down the porch as the door slammed closed behind us.  

It was obvious that he could have cut us down multiple times, with us using whatever the witch Deziree considered to be "good swordsmanship" but he continued to hold back.  Finally he got a big enough opening to make a move, using her own momentum against her and tossing Olivia 100 feet away by her arm.   He used the space to dash away from me as well, and he charged back toward the cabin door.  He pulled it open and went to run inside but as soon as he crossed the threshold, he came flying back out and crashing to the ground, only a barefoot protruding out from the frame.  

Deziree stepped out, eyes glowing even brighter than before.  She cleared the doorway at normal height, but as she stepped of the porch and continued walking, she sized up even more than before, cresting 20 feet and pushing to 25 feet tall.  As soon as the slayer stood, both myself and Deziree were all over him, Deziree trying to stomp him out, while I was forced to cross swords with him while also worrying about a misplaced step crushing me.  

I wasn't entirely sure I even had my normal strength and durability or just my height, but it seemed that we were in perfect harmony because I was never where Deziree was attacking.  Finally our double onslaught got through and I landed a kick to his chest that confirmed I had my full strength as he flew back and cracked a massive tree in half. 

The man was slow to get up and payed for it as Olivia delivered a savage downward punch to his face that smashed his head into the mud. Now Deziree got in on it, scooping him from the mud by his throat, which her big hand completely encircled. She held him in front of her, her big fist loaded and ready to knock his head off his shoulders as she delivered a punch that sent a mist of blood spraying off of him and causing him to swing loosely by his neck.  In his defense, he took it like a champ, and he raised his sword to stab her hand but another quick jab snapped his head back and stopped him in his tracks, causing his sword to fall to the ground and stick in.

He was clearly one punch away from being knocked out again, but still he struggled, trying to pry her large fingers off of him with his tiny hands, but to no avail.  What it did earn him was a brutal slam to the ground, landing awkwardly on his shoulder putting him down for the count.  He lay unmoving as Deziree moved us closer to him, making us stand over him as Deziree paced back and forth, stalking him like a predator in the wild.

The rain continued to fall harder than it seemed possible if this was the regular human realm, as we all just stood there, myself and Olivia unable to move an Deziree just drinking in the moment. Finally she stopped and closed the distance between us, rudely brushing us aside with her size, and hulking over the slayer.  He was still out, rain and mud puddling around him now.  

Deziree kicked him over onto his back with a toe, before dwarfing him as she straddled his legs.  Again her hands covered his chest, only this time completely.  Both of their bodies glowed, and she began to drain him of his power again.  Hid screams  and moans were blended with Deziree's as more power and life force were drained from him.  His eyes were open but it didn't quite seem like he was awake.

Regardless, his body bucked and spasmed beneath her, as the glow got brighter for a time before beginning to dim.  Her massive body kept him pinned flat in the mud, and his struggles became less and less as we stood by, naked and helpless to assist him as the giant witch drained him of the last little bit of magical energy as at last, his glow went out entirely and he went limp.

Panting from exertion and pleasure, Deziree took her hands from his chest, and stood up, the glow from the transfer of magic steadily fading from her as well.  She towered over the man, looking him over with satisfaction, his bruised and beaten body unmoving and filthy between her feet.  She lifted her right foot, hanging it above his face and I thought she might just stomp him out, but instead she used it to move his head back and forth, flopping it limply from side to side before putting her foot back on the ground.

"What an interesting day this turned out to be!" She exclaimed, still staring down at him.  "This little one. . . . . Half enlightened one and half. . . . Maybe a slayer?  The weakest one I've ever seen if he is though.  Couldn't even use pra-

Deziree's monologue was cut short as the corpse of the man sat bolt upright with an outstretched hand, reaching for Deziree's throat.  A second later she was coughing up blood as his sword punctured the back of her neck as it tried to get to his hand, punching through and sticking out at least 3 feet.

She tried to scream but was drowning in  her own blood, as she panicked and stumbled around the trees, tearing down low hanging limbs and scratching herself until finally she slipped in the mud and stayed down.  As soon as she did, her control over us was released and we both collapsed on the ground as well. The other slayer had fallen back down as well and the three of us just lay in the rain and muck for what might have been an hour. 

Finally Olivia found the strength to stand, and carefully hoisted me to my feet by my non broken arm. We trudged over to where the other slayer was laying. Olivia grabbed him, tossing him over her shoulder as we walked backed to the cabin. Some time later,  we were both dry, warm, clothed, but still stranded. The slayer was still unconscious, as Olivia gently cleaned him up, washing the mud from him.  It seemed like he might be our only ticket out of here, so I guess the better shape he is in. . . . 

"Just wake him up!  We can't sit here forever!" I said finally, growing restless as Olivia worked on setting the man's pounded ribs.  She precisely pushed in the last one, and the man let out a gasp like he had just come up from being underwater. 

"Ok, you're awake! Now get us back to our realm!" I said hastily as soon as his eyes opened.

"Leave him alone, Ant!  He just woke up!  By the gods, you can be such a little brat sometimes!" Olivia intervened, stepping away from the man, but between him and myself.

"Your partner is right!" The man said, sitting up and buttoning up his shirt. "The portal won't stay open forever and if we miss our chance, there is no telling how long we will be stuck here."

He stood up gingerly, and began to limp towards the door.  I followed suit, but Olivia stood, arms folded and upset looking.

"You heard the man!  Let's go!" I shouted to her, as we stepped out into the rain.  She responded something in an angry tone but we were too far away to catch it  as we began to walk out through the trees.  A moment later, the door slammed shut as she followed us out.

"What are you looking for?" I asked the man as he seemed to wander aimlessly around the woods, stopping and staring every few steps.

"Please stop talking. . . " he replied plainly, keeping on. 

"I'm sorry to bother you. . . . It's just that we aren't trying to spend the entire night out in the rain!" Olivia butted in, trying to be more polite than I.

"Please. . . . Stop. . . Talking." He repeated, even more obnoxiously than before.   

"Look you little shit! We-" 

"There!" The man shouted, breaking into a sprint towards what appeared to be nothing.

We bolted after him, staying as close as possible to him, still pretty confused. All was soon explained as the man raised his sword, lightning striking it and making his body glow. He brought the sword down in a vertical slash that somehow cut the air and opened up a portal. He jumped through, with us right behind him as the portal closed immediately after.

Everything went black for a brief moment, followed by the sensation of falling.


Chapter 34 by Stevie

 

We burst back into our realm, into pure sunshine and 50 feet up in the air.  The other slayer was prepared for it, landing cleanly on his feet and sliding to a stop.  Myself and Olivia on the other hand were not expecting to be dropped out of nowhere and as such, plowed into the ground with all the grace of two people being smashed into the ground from 50 feet in the air, not expecting it.

The man only looked at us with disdain. Before turning to walk away.

"Hey, Asshole!" I shouted after him.

He stopped in his tracks but didn't turn around.

"I think you owe us an explanation!  What the fuck was all that back there!" I continued.

The man sighed an irritated sigh, before turning around and approaching us.

"I wouldn't expect simpletons like you to understand,but what do you know of enlightened ones?" He asked, rudely.

"You mean witches? Like the woman who just about ate me?! I think we can probably grasp the concept, IDIOT!" Olivia shouted at him, sarcastically as she stood, dusting herself off.

The man was slightly taken aback by her reply and I was honestly proud of Olivia.  My attitude was beginning to wear off on her.

"Yes. .well. . . That particular witch had been plaguing the base of the northern mountains for the last few years.  Capturing and having her way with weary travelers. Maybe 100 or more. It took some time to figure out where she was taking them and how, then longer still to learn how to travel between realms at will, but I finally managed it." He explained proudly.

"And are you a witch as well?" I asked, looking over his tattoos.

"I am an enlightened one, yes.  My mother was human and enlightened as well, and my father was a slayer."

"As a slayer, don't you think there are more pressing matters at hand then some witch in the northern mountains?" I asked, heavily insinuating the three daughters.

"Ha!  I think the words you're looking for are "thank you for saving our asses!" The man laughed,  turning again and waving us off as he walked away.  This time we followed him.

"We ARE thankful, but at the same time we are still in need of more swords for an upcoming battle.  Able bodied fighters are few and far between these days!" Olivia said, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"As true as that is. . . I both have better things to do, and don't waste my time fighting giants!" He replied, tenderly lifting Olivia's fingers from him in disgust.

"What do you mean you don't fight giants?!  You're a slayer!" I said, confused and irritated with this man's arrogance.

"I'm only half slayer.  Suffice to say, I don't have the strength, nor the durability to go toe to toe with most giants.  I was given a gift, and choose to use it more effectively than that." He replied as he walked out of the woods and onto a road.

A road where there shouldn't have been. . .

In fact. . . None of this terrain matched what we left behind the night before. I could that Olivia had realized the exact same thing.

"Excuse me, but where are we?!" She asked, a hint of panic in her voice.

"Approximately 2 miles east of the village of Bostille." The man answered as he rounded a bend in the road, revealing a horse tied to a tree on the side of the road.

Olivia's jaw dropped and nearly hit the dirt.  Understandably so. . . . Because Bostille was one of the northern most and the western most village in the human realm.  Literally on the border with giant country, the only thing that kept it from getting crushed was the fact that it was so inconveniently out of the way for both giants and humans, that nobody really bothered to set foot there.

None of that would be too terribly interesting, except if what this man had said was true, then we were now 4 days further away from our destination than we had been before. That and now we had no supplies and no horses.

"That. . . That can't be true!  We were only a day's ride out of Pherron last night!" Olivia stated, in disbelief.

"And now you aren't!" The man said flatly.  "That IS how the portal works, but it takes me back to wherever I left from, and this was it." He explained as he mounted his horse.

"I suggest you walk to Bostille, barter for some horses and make your way back east. . . . Maybe try to avoid a witch's hunting grounds this time!' He called over his shoulder as he booked it south.

Olivia clenched her fists and shouted a stream of obscenities in his wake, but he was out of earshot in a moment of two.  She breathed heavily, her shoulders heaving.

"Let's go, Ant!  We're getting horses and we are going to ride like hell!" She said to me as she began to stomp up the road.

"Believe me. . . . Nobody wants to get back to fighting the charming Leonara more than I do. . . . But I need rest.  My arm hasn't begun to heal like it should and my shoulder bandages have bled all the way through yet again." I complained as I followed her.

"There isn't time!  The fight may have already happened for all we know!  If we aren't there and everyone dies. . . ." She trailed off.

She didn't need to finish that thought. We all sort of knew that we were coming to the end of the line with this whole thing.

"Ride on without me. Stick to this northern road and when I'm feeling better, I'll be right behind you." I offered.

Olivia gave me a look that told me she didn't buy that, but she vocalized her agreement anyway.  We got to Bostille in a few minutes time,  filling our bellies with food from the market after some easy labour helping a farmer with his cart. From there, Olivia "borrowed" a horse and rode off.

I, on the other hand, found my way to the only inn in the town, which conveniently came with an older human woman to tend to my wounds and pamper me, and her husband, who was an amazing cook.

"Who did this to you?" The woman asked, as she more properly cleaned my shoulders stab wound, as I sat on a stool in front of her.

"Oh! A fine young lady by the name of Leonara!" I exclaimed, faking excitement.

The woman and her husband exchanged worried glances.

"Well. . . We will get you patched up. It sounds like you need to take a break from all the fighting, so you can actually heal!" The man said, chopping vegetables at the counter.

"Believe me. . . I would like nothing more than that, unfortunately I'm already late for a fight." I said, wincing as the woman poured some alcohol on my stab.  From there, she began with stitches.

"Is. . . Your target. . . Around these parts?" The man asked nervously.

"I mean. . . . This village is still here, so I would say not. She was headed east. . . Or so she said. " I answered, picking up on the weird vibe he and his wife were giving off when it came to any mention of giants.

"Why? Is there a giant I need to slay around here?" I asked, studying his face.

He chuckled slightly, but kept chopping vegetables.

"No offense to you or your kind, boy. . . . But. . . I don't think there are enough of you around anymore to take on that girl. . . " he said ominously.

"But that's not a challenge either, is it Ronald?!" The woman said, glaring at her husband.

"What are you two talking about?" I interrupted, looking between them.

"There. . . . IS a giant around here. Up in the hills.  Has been for probably 4 months now.  Biggest I've ever seen, but she. . . . She is just living, minding her own business.  Kind of strange. . . . But it's a better alternative than what she could be doing.  That's for sure." The man explained, scooping up the vegetables and putting them into a frying pan.

"She's harmless!" The woman added, nervously laughing.

"No giant is harmless. . . " I replied, standing up, and pulling my cloak over my arm and startling the woman.

"You-you can't go up up there!" She protested, stepping in front of me and holding her arms out.

"Relax!  Do I look like I'm in any shape to go fighting the biggest giant this man has ever seen?" I asked, gently moving her out of my way.  " I'm just going to go take a look!  If she sees me, I'll talk my way out of it like I always do." I reassured them, as I left out the back door.

I mounted my borrowed horse and headed north.  There was a well worn path that led out into the rolling grassy plains.  The wind was strong with no trees to block it and the grass seemed to howl.  I rode for a solid hour before crested the first big hill and found nothing on the other side, but there was smoke off in the distance.  I decided that heading that way was the best bet.

Another hill, this time a lot larger, and I could tell the source of the smoke was a couple hills over.  I rode on cautiously, cresting another hill, where I dismounted my horse to inspect a large patch of flattened grass.  A footprint. . . . A very. . . Very big footprint.  Leading the horse up the side of the hill, I crept to the top, crouching in the long grass and peeked over into the huge valley.

Shit. . . . .

I really didn't need any confirmation to know that face.  I could barely see it through the mess of strawberry blonde hair that was blowing around it, I had seen enough of that particular family to know that this giantess before me must be. . .

Florence.

My heart actually threatened to stop.  In the back of my mind I guess I never really thought I'd come across her. . . If nearly killing her little sister didn't bring her rage, I was silently hoping that  nothing would.  Like maybe she would just break her ankle out in the wilderness somewhere and starve to death or something.

Wishful thinking I guess, because here she was. . . Although seeing her for the first time, I can honestly say that this wasn't what I had envisioned for the largest living person in the world.

Granted, she wasn't standing, so her size wasn't immediately obvious, but even so. . . . The only word I could think of to describe her was. . .

Humble.

She was just sort of there.  Sitting there on the hillside, knees in her chest, arms around her leather-clad legs, and her bare feet and bone ankle bracelets exposed in the long grass as she stared out into the valley.  Her giant boots were sitting to her right, between her and myself and her massive, elegant sword was to her left.  On top of the hill, behind her and to the left was a couple walls of what was becoming a giant log cabin.  Various tools were scattered around and leaning up against the wall.

It all just seemed so. . . . Mundane. . For this demon who had demolished scores of slayers at this point.  But here she was. . . Just sitting and. . . .looking directly at me. . .

Fuck. . . .

"I see you. . . . You don't need to hide. . " she said, sort of awkwardly, but there was zero malice in her voice.  I knew by now that there would be no outrunning her in this much open space and she didn't appear to be looking for a fight just yet, so I cautiously rose from the ground and approached her through the long grass, when suddenly my horse pulled free from my hand and began to gallop towards her.

"You stupid animal!" I cried as my only escape route trotted toward my enemy.  Surely she would crush it or. . . . Or. . .

I froze in place, slightly confused as the horse approached her waiting hand, and began to nuzzle it as she used her finger to stroke its mane.

"You can relax!  I wouldn't hurt an innocent animal!" She chuckled as the horse received her loving. "She's beautiful! Aren't you?" She cooed, rubbing the horse under the chin.

Apprehensive, I stopped about 40 feet away from her, my good arm with my hand on the hilt of my sword.  She glanced at me and her face soured.

"Oh. . . Are you only here looking for a fight?" She asked, sadness in her voice.

I said nothing, waiting to see where she was going with it.

"Because I don't think you want to do that. . ." She finished, looking out on the valley again.

"You think just because you're the biggest creature on earth, that I should be afraid of you?" I asked,  hint of challenge in my voice as I chuckled off her arrogance.

"Hardly!" She laughed.  "It's just that you look like a gentleman. . . . And a gentleman wouldn't want to attack a defenseless lady, any more than I would like to attack a gentleman with a broken arm." She stated, confidently.

"You know nothing about me." I replied plainly.

"I wouldn't say that's entirely true. . . . Anthony Lockwood." She said, with a slight smirk.

I took a step back and drew my sword, defensively.

"Relax! I truly don't want to fight you, right now." She exclaimed, rolling her eyes at me.

"Why? Am I not worthy of it?  My reputation obviously proceeds me.  As does yours, Florence." I said.

"I assure you, you're worthy!" She exclaimed, bestowing fake praise on me.  "I'm just not sure why you think that fighting is your only option here."

"Oh!" I genuinely laughed at her. "Then why don't you enlighten me of my options, your highness!"

"Well. . . We could fight. . . And one of us would likely die. . ." She began.

"You think you'll crush me, just like that?" I asked, now very irritated, even though I knew that this situation wasn't in my favor.

"Geez!  What's with you slayers? You always want to believe I'm looking down on you!" She huffed, digging her hands into the grass, and pulling up massive clumps in her fists.

"Are we wrong? I mean. . . You are the biggest being on earth!" I spat at her.

"You think that means anything?!" She replied, a hint of annoyance in her voice.  "If size meant anything, than you slayers would never have been a viable defense for the human realm, would you?!"

"Are we though?  How many of us have you killed, so far?" I countered.

"I totally knew that is where you were going with this!"she laughed.  "I'm not still here because I'm just big!. . . . I'm still alive because I never underestimate my opponent!" She declared. "I fight every battle like it could be my last!"

"Fine, whatever! I only came up here because I was told there was a giant up here!  If we aren't going to fight, then I'll just leave!" I shouted at her, putting my sword away, and grabbing the reigns of the horse.

"I didn't say you had to leave. . . "She said cryptically as I began to walk away. "I just said we don't have to fight. . . "

I threw my hands up and turned around. "Why don't you just tell me what you mean instead of playing these stupid games!" I shouted, scaring the horse.

"What I mean. . . . Is that you COULD just sit here on this hill with me and enjoy a beautiful day in the human realm!" She exclaimed, remaining perfectly calm, patting the ground beside her, and smiling gently.

I took a deep breath. . . . Was I really considering taking a seat with this woman?  I mean. . . . This WAS a fight that I knew I couldn't win on my own, on top of the fact that she didn't seem to feel like killing me either.  It would be unwise to make her change her mind. . . . With a sigh, I walked over to her and awkwardly took a seat 15 feet away from her.

She squealed with a girlish delight, clapping her hands.  She really was an odd duck. . .

"I'm so glad you decided to stay!  It gets lonely out here sometimes!" She said, looking to me with a fake frown.

"Am I allowed to ask what you are even doing out here in the first place? Aren't you supposed to be slaughtering an entire race of people or something?" I asked, my displeasure for her actions abundantly clear.

"There you go, immediately ruining the mood!" She complained. "This. . . Isn't an extermination, ok?"

"Yeah yeah,  it's an eviction!" I interrupted her with the same schlock that Leonara had pitched me. "Your lovely sister told me the exact same thing!  She's pissed that you're out here fucking around too, by the way." I finished.

"You spoke with Leonara?!" She asked, looking at me with confusion.

"We've had some run-ins." I replied, holding up my broken arm.

"Hmm. . . . You're just super popular with both of my little sisters aren't you!" She noted, poking me with a giant finger. "But yeah, she's. . . Playful. . .

I honestly didn't know if she knew what we had done to Juliette.  I assumed she did, but this would be pretty awkward if she didn't.  Luckily she answered the question without me having to ask.

"You're all Juliette thinks about as she gains her strength back. . . . She even gave us standing orders to bring you to her alive so she can hold you until she is ready to fight you!" Florence explained with a laugh. "I'm honestly sort of proud of her.  I couldn't tell you how many times Leo and I had to beat up the bratty little boys around the castle for picking on her growing up!"

"She knows I'm not worth it, right?" I asked, truthfully.

"She gets this way sometimes. . . She feels like you slighted her in my eyes that day at the mine. Like I felt she couldn't handle an important job on her own.  You know how siblings are. . . . I told her it didn't matter to me but she doesn't listen.  She is going to be pretty upset when I tell her about this!" She said, grinning.

"You never did tell me what you're doing out here. . . . Just hanging out in the human realm like this." I said, motioning to her cabin project.

"Can you blame me? The human realm is so beautiful. . . . Giants, we. . . . " she began, staring off into the distance again while choosing her words carefully.  "We honestly destroy everything we touch. . . . There are just so many of us now. We just always need more space."

I just shook my head in angry disbelief at what she was saying.  Her here trying to justify what they were doing.

"I understand why you're cross. . . . But this is how it's going to be." She said, genuine pity, but no regret in her voice.

"Hmm" was all I replied.  Somehow hearing her put it like this, so calm and matter of factly, was more gut wrenching than hearing Leonara be a bitch about it.

"So what happens after you take over the human realm then?" I asked, coldly.

". . . . I believe it's entirely up to you.  I know about that island the humans have been escaping to.  I think that is a good option.  It's not like we could anyway, but we have no intention of following you there.  If you all left today, then this could all be over." She stated, like it might be helpful.

I couldn't help but laugh a vindictive laugh.  My mind filling with dark thoughts that didn't normally cross my mind. I stood suddenly, and turned to walk away.

"Would it make you feel better to fight to  the death?" She asked solemnly from behind me.

"I just don't think you're going to like where this leads. . . " I replied over my shoulder as I mounted my horse.

As if the gods agreed with me, suddenly the sky darkened out of nowhere, and with a massive crack of thunder, Florence's beautiful day was gone in a heavy downpour and high wind.  I stayed for just a moment as she looked to the sky in disbelief, before she hurriedly grabbed her boots and blade and stood.

And there it was. . . . That overwhelming fear as she stood to her full height.  Not towering over me intentionally, but just on her way to shelter. Still she was bigger and stronger than anyone else anywhere.  She gave me one last look, silently blaming me for the rain, before she turned and ran to her tent up by her unfinished cabin, shaking the earth beneath my feet.  And with that, I turned and left as well.

From there I was on a war path.  Something about the casual way she stated that her takeover was inevitable set me off and lit an old spark in me. Immediately I invited the death goddess into me and she healed my broken arm. I rode hard and within three days I caught up with Olivia and together we made it to Pherron in another 3.

We got there to discover that nobody had even seen Leonara yet.  Scouts hadn't layed eyes on her or even seen footprints. It struck everyone as odd, but the lull was still welcome.  The city was now heavily fortified.  Every crossbow had been loaded with giant arrows atop the 300 foot tall walls, along with all the hot tar they could mix.  Outside the wall, logs had been carved into stakes that pointed outward in rows to stop her or at least slow her down from scaling or knocking down the wall.

The civilians were still inside, but there was an evacuation plan in place for when she arrived. I found my crew in the lord's castle.  I also found it strange that the lord of the city was giving us the assistance in a battle that would undoubtedly demolish his city instead of insisting we fight elsewhere, but here we were.  Admittedly I wasn't exactly thrilled to see any of them, considering Olivia was the only one who had bothered to look for me.

The next few days were uneventful but eventually action did occur. . . .

"There is a giantess outside the wall, coming this way!" A scout said, rushing into the courtyard. "It isn't Leonara, but she may still be a threat!"

"We'll be ready on your signal" the lord said as he rallied his troops to their positions around the city.

Myself, Abby and Jacob went to investigate, making our way through the cumbersome fortifications and out on to the path and waited.  A few moments later we saw a woman crest the hill, and my heart dropped.

It was Magnolia.

Her usually neat and clean dress was filthy and her face was bruised and dirty.  Beyond that, she was pulling the wagon that my father had built to let her or James transport the citizens of Lockwood, and it was full.  Beyond belief, that wasn't all either.  Behind that, tethered to the back, was another wagon, and inside appeared to be James, laying motionless.

"Shit. . . " was all I could say as we sprinted toward her.  She made it to within 500 feet of the castle, before she fell to her knees in front of us and tears began to run down her dirty cheeks, causing cleaner streaks.  Behind her, the humans began to leave the wagon and head toward the city, thanking maggie as they passed her.

"Magnolia! What are you doing here?! What happened?!" I asked frantically, putting a hand on her knee and looking up into her face.

"She. . . She killed them!" She blubbered, her face in her hands.

"Who Killed who Magnolia?!" Abby demanded.  "Stop crying!"

This only made her bawl harder.

"Maybe you being here isn't the most helpful thing right now." Jacob suggested, pointing for her leave.

"I just-

"Go!" Jacob interrupted her.

She scowled him down but did as she was told, helping the villagers carry their belongings into the city.

"She killed mother and father!" Magnolia wailed, tears and snot flowing heavily now as she began to hyperventilate. "I-I-I" she tried but couldn't get the words out.

She really didn't need to say who.  I knew. Jacob knew.  The look he was giving me was that of the Jacob of old.  The look of a heartless, cold blooded killer.

"It's alright!. . . .It's. . . Well, not alright. . But at least you're safe now. . . Your brothers are here!" I said, placing a hand on her thigh and trying my best to calm her, but not sure what to say.  Meanwhile Jacob went to check on James, who looked lucky to even be alive.  His body was bruised, bloody and beaten to the point where his size was really the only recognizable trait about him.

"Please, Magnolia. . . Come inside and calm down.  We will get you something to eat and you can tell us what happened when you are ready." I offered.

She nodded her head in agreement, standing up shakily.  The wagon was too big to fit down the city streets, so Maggie had to get James to the castle in the center of the city.  He was made a makeshift bed out in the courtyard by Magnolia and she insisted on staying by his side and nursing him constantly, but finally she was calm enough to tell us what had happened.

*Town of Lockwood.  Days earlier.*

It was a beautiful day.  Magnolia was just coming back to the house from the river.  Daddy was chopping wood outback and mother was doing laundry outside as well. That was when she saw him.  A man, Ezekiel, from town.  He was riding hard and screaming something about "her" being in the city.

Magnolia didn't know who "she" was, but the sudden seriousness of her parents was enough to worry her as they ran inside, retrieving their swords before riding for town.  They had instructed Magnolia to stay there, but she had a feeling in her gut that she should go.  She, her parents and James all arrived on main street at the same time, and there she was. . . .

That giant, terrible woman.  Towering over everything but the trees as she stood at the other end of main with that arrogant look on her face as she sized them up.  Her blue eyes felt as potent as a dagger.

Leonara.

"Hmmm.  So this is the town of Lockwood, huh?" She asked, looking around with disdain.  "Less here than I thought there would be, I guess. . . "

"Leave peacefully!" Jarvis said coldly, drawing his sword.

"My my!  Straight to the point, aren't we?" Leo replied, feigning shock and offence.  "I'm just here to visit the town named after the world famous Antony Lockwood!" She continued, looking around like a tourist.

"The city isn't named after him, it's named after me. . . " Jarvis replied, his patients wearing thin.

"Oh, oh!  You must be papa Lockwood!" Leonara exclaimed, giggling.

This was enough bullshit for him, and Jarvis had seen enough.  He sprang into action, running forward and launching a vertical slash toward her.  She didn't miss a beat, and she quick drew her sword, swatting the attack to the side.  Jarvis kept coming, hurling another, but she just sidestepped this one.  He was closing the distance still on the ground,  and he sent a low prayer that hit the road and kicked up dirt.

This time though, Leonara had seen this tactic before, simply sidestepping again, but there was a nasty surprise waiting for her.  When she stepped out of the dust, there was another prayer there to meet her, courtesy of Gwen.  Leonara was admittedly caught off guard, throwing her head back awkwardly and narrowly avoiding the attack, having to stumble back.  Jarvis was on top of her immediately with another prayer as she was off balance, but she twisted her body backward, putting her hands down and that missed to, but also caught him with a kick.  He was smashed through the building to his left, clean through and out into the trees.

Without hesitation, Leonara turned to Gwen and charged her.  Gwen let fly a horizontal slash but it was too low and Leonara hurdled it, raising her sword and bringing it down on the small woman, looking to crumple her as she slid to a stop.  This resulting in another cloud of debris, covered the outcome, but Leonara could tell she hadn't hit anything.  The crater she left usually disoriented slayers though, and as such, no counter attack happened.  Instead, the little male giant from her previous encounter emerged, sword drawn.

"Well, well!  The family lineage is finally revealed!" Leonara stated with a smirk.  "You aren't going to just hand over that little sword this time, are you?" She asked, holding her hand out.

"Shut your mouth and put up your guard!" James threatened, as he walked toward her.

"You sure are in a hurry to die, aren't you little one?" She laughed, putting her sword up in front of her.

James broke into a run, and engaged with Leonara.  The clang of swords rang out, but it was 100 percent James.  Leonara's infuriating grin never left her face as she half assed a defense, expertly parrying the boy that only came up to her thighs.

"You're not half bad kid, but that size of yours is a real handicap here!" She said, noticing his solid footwork.  He was well trained, but still no match for her.

As if on cue, she picked one of the many openings he presented, and struck, knocking the blade out of his hands and flattening him with a giant fist to the face that pounded him into the dirt, out cold.

Magnolia let out a squeal of terror as her brother was brutalized by this giant, monster.  Leonara only stood over him, watching the small trickle of blood from his busted lip.  She was about to reach down and grab him, when a prayer passed between them that would have cut her hand off for sure.

She looked over to see that the two slayers had regrouped and were ready for round 2.  She stepped over the boy and faced them.  They wasted no time, splitting up as they approached her, from both her left and right.  They went to attack in unison, but Leonara interrupted the man to her fight, swinging with an easily dodged attack that was just meant to throw off his timing.  It worked, and as a result, she only had to avoid the attack from the woman, using her speed to in turn, split them and sliding to a stop facing them from the other side.

The two slayers looked at each other.  It was becoming abundantly clear that this was no average, untrained villager.  They hadn't even put a scratch on her and she hadn't even broke a sweat.

"Magnolia!  Load the wagon and get everyone out of here!" Jarvis shouted to the girl.

It was a plan they had discussed before, and Maggie knew exactly what to do.  She also knew exactly what it meant.  That her parents were prepared to fight to the death and not sure if they could win.  They had fought their fair share of giants in the town and never once had they called for evacuation.

Facing off with them, Leonara made the next move, swinging her sword across her body.  It crushed a building on it's way to the slayers.  They dodge it, but that was part of the attack, as they were now vulnerable in the air.  Before they could dodge, she caught them both with another kick.  They flew over the building's this time and once again out into the trees, snapping branches and tearing them off.

Leonara turned to see that James was conscious again and had drug himself from the dirt.  He stood defiantly in front of her, sword at the ready, but although he was full of determination, his legs were wobbly and he struggled to stay standing.

"Seriously?" Leo asked, as she looked him over, her free hand on her hip. "Look at you, kid!  You can barely stand!  It should be pretty obvious to you by now that I don't want to kill you, but I also don't have all day to play these little games either!" She said, a look of disbelief on her face.

"Nobody asked you to spare me!  You fight your fight, I'll fight mine!" He replied stoically, spitting some blood off to the side.

"You've got balls, man.  I'll give you that. . . . " was all she replied as she walked toward him, sword at her side.

Again James attacked, his movements slow and predictable as he lunged about, punch drunk.  This time Leonara didn't even need her sword as she bobbed and weaved, avoiding him at every step while her maddening giggle rang in his head.  He got more and more angry as he struck nothing but air, his years of training with his siblings amounting to nothing when it really counted.

"I think I've had enough of this. . . " Leonara said casually, before once again stopping him in his tracks with a brutal punch to the stomach, forcing him to his knees, doubled over.  "Look up!" She added with a laugh.

James looked up to see Leonara's huge boot above his head.  He dove out of the way as she slammed it down where he had been kneeling.  Even though he was too big to get outright crushed by her, James was 100% sure that she would break bones if she connected with him.

"And again!" She exclaimed, giggling as her other foot rose up, her knee up by her chest with her ridiculous flexibility.  This time he was barely able to scramble to the side, getting scraped up and just narrowly avoiding his legs getting stomped on and likely broken.

Before he even had time to breathe, her other boot was above him.  The boy was forced to pathetically crawl as his enemy toyed with him, chasing him through his family's town with playfully exaggerated stomps.  Though she wasn't even putting any effort into actually stomping him, it was clear that if he didn't keep moving, the force she was putting into the stomps was very, very real.

"I'll say that you definitely get your running skills from Ant and company!" She laughed as she continued to chase him through the dirt.

In complete control, she herded him until his back was up against the wall of a building.

"Game over!" She declared, lifting her right foot as high as she could.

James could only close his eyes and put his hands out as her boot descended upon him, though this did nothing to stop her.  Her brutal stomp connected with his chest, smashing him down through the building in a cloud of dust and chunks of building.  Only his legs were visible in the pile of rubble as she extracted her leg from the debris.  Whether he was unconscious or just utterly defeated, he chose to stay down this time.

"Right, one down, two to go!" She said to herself, turning to see where the other slayers were.  A moment later, they came limping around the corner a few blocks away.

They appeared to be in pretty rough shape.  Leonara's kicks had been known to break ribs and puncture lungs, even in giant men, though she had to give these two credit: they came back for more.

Confidently, she closed the distance on them, strutting tall.  They attempted a few prayers each, but there was very little murderous intent behind them and Leo swept them aside with ease.  Running out of distance between them, the woman offered her husband her hand, and with a powerful spin, he threw her up at the giant's face.

The slayer tucked into a roll, her sword out as she cut through the air like a saw blade. With only a split second to react, Leonara cut only move her head, allowing the woman to sail passed her. Unfortunately, the spin was too much and the woman didn't stick the landing, touching down and smashing through the wall of a nearby building.  The man tried a few more prayers but it was painfully obvious that single attacks would never work on this woman and by now she was directly on top of him.

He had no choice but to flee but he didn't get far as Leonara bent down and snatched him up in her big fist, his arms trapped at his sides and legs still moving forward. He moaned in pain, his old bones about to crush as she lifted him to her face.

"I'm afraid it's the end of the line, father Lockwood." She said simply, adding some more pressure to him.  He remained stone faced.

"It's not. . . Ughhh. . . It's not over yet!  My children will still bring home your head on a pike!" He groaned, defiantly.

"Your children flee from my footsteps like cockroaches! Your entire race does." Leonara said calmly, increasing the pressure even more.  "I'm saving dear Antony for my baby sister, but I will surely break the others in your name!"

Another groan was all he could manage as his head began to turn from red to blue, and he spit a gush of blood from his mouth, sounds of his body giving up, faint.

"Say goodbye. . ." Leonara whispered in his face and with a final, tight squeeze and the audible crunch of bones, he was gone.

A scream of pure agony erupted from behind her as she turned to see that the boy had miraculously risen from his stomping and has seen his father's last moments.  Tears were flowing down his busted face, and he was on his knees.

Leo payed him no mind, tossing the corpse of his father aside on her way to where the woman had broken through the building.  She passed the boy, and in a desperate bid to stop her, he wrapped himself around her leg.  She kept on going like he wasn't even there, dragging him through the dirt like a spoiled child at the supermarket.

As the female slayer struggled to stand, the sun disappeared above her as this insurmountable opponent blocked out the light.  She looked up at her, those cruel, blue eyes staring back.  She knew her husband must be gone.  At the giant's feet, her loving baby boy doing anything to save her life, the way she had saved his, all those years ago.  Every event was just moving her toward this point in time it seemed, as the giant raised her foot for the last time.

The boy only winced as he heard the stomp, but a moment later the weight of the situation hit him like a ton of bricks.  He was all alone now.  This witch had killed his parents. She would kill his siblings.  She would take over the entire world!

His thoughts overwhelmed him, but he was rudely awakened as Leonara grabbed a fistful of his hair.  He screamed in pain as she peeled him from her leg and dragged him by the hair behind her to the center of town, where she released him.  By now, his words had pretty much ceased and had been replaced by blubberings of mercy.

"Mercy?  Mercy?!  How much more do you think I have to spare?!" Leonara exclaimed, making a scene.  "I spared you out in the woods.  I've spared you twice today even!  You don't get to keep throwing my generosity back in my face, you know!" She spat, kicking him over onto his back.  "When you are bested, you stay down! " she continued, using her boot to flatten him to the ground.

"It's a hard lesson to learn, but there are consequences for your actions!" She continued as she stepped over him, lowering down to be hovering above him on her knees.  "Maybe I won't kill you. . . . But if I don't, it's going to be close."

James barely saw the first punch to his cheek, that snapped his head to the side.  He did feel a tooth loosen up in his gums though.  Another punch remedied that, as he spit the tooth out.  The next punch came from the other side.  The next, directly from the front, bouncing his head off the ground.  But she didn't just work his face.  The next two minutes were pure hell as Leonara pummeled every inch of him from head to toe.

He was still conscious as the bigger woman mashed him into submission, but he knew that would change at any moment.  His legs felt broken, or at least fractured and his arms were just numb. His ribs were likely cracked as well from her literally bone crushing stomp, still she pounded on them as well.  He was right when he told his sister that he was too big to be crushed, but now he really wasn't sure about that.

He awoke from his pain induced trance to Leonara saying something to him.

"Heal you up, and keep you around the castle as a little slave!  Hmm?  What do you think?" She asked, looking down at his swollen face.

"Huh?" He asked, instinctively.

Leonara rolled her eyes and raised her fist to finish him off.  He knew this would be it before he either died, or woke up in whatever life Leonara had been describing to him.  He flinched as she went to punch, but again she was interrupted before she could end him.

"Leave him alone!" A voice came at the top of her lungs.  "You're going to kill him!" Magnolia screamed as she rushed her brother's tormentor with his blade raised above her head.

"Huh!" Leonara commented as she simply caught Magnolia by the arm, stopping her in her tracks. "And just who might you be?" Leo questioned, looking her over.

Magnolia squirmed against her, but was nowhere near strong enough to get free.  To emphasize the point, Leonara stood up, taking Magnolia with her, dangling her by her wrist. Maggie let out a cry of pain as Leo tightened her grip and James' sword clanged to the ground.

"Is this your brother, girl?" Leonara asked, holding her at arms length to keep from being kicked by her as she struggled.

"Please!  Haven't you- haven't you done enough here?!" Magnolia cried, choking back tears.

Leonara only focused on her, those infamous eyes boring through the girl.  It was so intimidating that Magnolia had to  squeeze her eyes shut.

"What's your name, child?" Leo asked finally.

"Maggie. . . . Magnolia." Magnolia replied, sniffling.

Leonara sighed.  If she did have heart strings, this tiny girl was threatening to tug at them.

"Ok. . . . I don't normally do this, and I promise you it will not happen again but. . . . I'll make you a deal. ." Leo said, gently placing the girl back on her feet, before cautiously kicking the little sword off to side.

"You can have what's left of your foolish little brother here, and all of the humans. . . But this town's mine now.  And that odd house of yours out thereon the battlefield.  That's mine now too.  You leave here, and you don't ever come back.  If I catch you around here, or hear that you're plotting revenge on me. . . I'll kill you and put your head up on a pike out front of that little house." Leonara said, laying out her generous offer.

Magnolia stood, clutching her sore wrist to her chest as she thought about it, but only for a second. There really wasn't much to think about, and nothing but memories there for them anymore.

"Ok. ." She said quietly.  "I accept your offer."

"Good girl!  Why can't the men in your family be so reasonable, huh?" Leonara exclaimed, with a warm, but disgusting smile.

*I was fuming. . . . I was fuming and ready to kill just about anyone at that moment as I paced the main hall of the castle. The story Maggie had told us about what Leonara had done was enough to make my blood boil. Jacob and Abby were right there with me.  Abby was so pissed that she punched a hole in the castle wall, and Olivia had to take her out to cool off.

"So what, we just sit around here and wait for her to show up?" I shouted at Peter.

"We don't have any other choice, Ant. Believe me, I've thought about it.  We've tried roaming and following leads, and that has gotten us nowhere.  Let's just wait it out here.  The lord of the city has been kind enough to put us up in his castle.  Let's just enjoy it while we can." Peter argued, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"You don't find all this a little strange?  Why would the leader of this city, that has absolutely NO SLAYERS, welcome a bunch of complete strangers in? And not just into the city, but into his personal castle!" I ranted.

"Ant, you got me missin' the time when you weren't here!" Henrietta said, taking a big swig of her ale mug. "We got beer. We got shelter. I'd say we are doin' pretty good!"

"Yeah, and meanwhile Leonara is out there killing my parents!" I shot back, knocking the mug out of her hand.

"I hate to say it, but she only did that to rile you up, Ant!" Peter chimed back in. "She is a master of this type of shit!  You'll get upset, do something foolish, and get more people killed.  To think that they could stay unaffected  by this whole thing was wishful thinking anyway."

"Fine!  If all of you feel this way, then so be it!" I shouted, before storming out.

And that is how the next two days went. Uneventful. I paced the walls, making sure that all the defenses were ready, sharpening my sword, and constantly going over the plan with everyone until they were sick of talking to me about it. My mind was a wreck.  I wanted to so badly ride to Lockwood, find Leonara, and obliterate her in anyway possible.  For a moment, my mind drifted to Zahra,  and how I had unceremoniously killed her in her sleep, among other dishonorable things I had done in my past.  Thinking about it, these days it was becoming harder to see the difference between myself and the dark things that the death goddess persuaded me to do, while also becoming easier to do those things. That night, I was visited by nightmares of my fights with Leonara.  She haunted me with her size, her inhuman flexibility and the uncanny way she could avoid attacks.  Not just that, but her brute strength as well.  It only lead to more questions.  Like how strong could Florence possibly be?

Things I didn't want to think about as I rolled around in my overly comfortable castle bed in the early hours of the morning.  I didn't like it, but nobody found this unfounded courtesy strange?  Humans usually only welcomed slayers when there was a giant on the horizon.  This whole thing stun-

"GIANT!" A man ran into the chamber we all shared and shouted, rousing us all.  "Leonara comes from the west!  We have maybe a half hour!"

Half asleep, we got out of bed and put the plan we had assembled into action.  Myself, and my siblings took our place on the front wall along with all the men from Lockwood and Pherron who had the balls to stand up for the human race.  Down in the city, the rest of the team was scattered on the rooftops of the city.  Poised for if Leonara was able to breach the wall.  All the civilians of Pherron made their way to the back gate of the city and waited.

20 minutes later, we finally felt the footsteps of a giant, and Leonara finally emerged on the horizon. This was really happening.  This was a new look for her as well.  I guess she must have been fucking around this entire time, because now she was fully adorned in a battle ready, lightweight suit of armor.  It was polished to perfection, with their family Crest "The great tree" engraved into the chest plate.

Stopping on top of the gentle hill that led into the city from the west, 1300 yards from the front gate, she regarded us for a moment, before she spoke.

"Lord Mathews!  I know you can hear me!  Now is the time to get your citizens out of here, as we discussed.  My associate will let you pass." She called out.

"What the hell is she talking about?" Abby asked, confused as the rest of us.

Her question was answered when the back gate began to creak open to reveal Elise the bounty hunter, adorned now in kingdom colors, blocking the path.  She towered over the humans at 110 feet tall, but still looked small framed by the 300 foot wall.  She had a smirk on her face as she stepped aside, leaning against a tree to let the humans pass.  They began to nervously file passed her feet and down the eastern path to wherever.

"What the fuck?!" Jacob breathed under his breath as it all became clear to him. This entire thing had indeed been a trap.  We most certainly had suspected it would be, but getting the entire city involved in it was unexpected, even for Leonara. It had to make us question the extent that she might control everything around us at any one time. But it was about to get even better. . . .

"Ok!" Elise hollered when the last human had passed by her.  On cue, the large gate began to close, sealing us back in.

"I see that there are still some men from Pherron among you!" Leonara observed.  "This is your final warning.  If you choose to stay, you are choosing death." She informed them.

Nobody moved from their post.

"Fine.  These are the battle lines that have been drawn." Leo replied, drawing her blade. She held it up to her face, looking across its blade and praying to whatever gods she still had any faith in.  Then she took a deep breath and. . . . began to run.

"Everyone at the ready!" I commanded to the small army of men on the wall.  "Wait for my mark!"

They let out a cheer as they aimed the 6 giant crossbows at the path and prepared to fire. They kept themselves psyched up But as Leonara got up to speed, their bravado died off quietly. They had never seen anything so big, move so fast and it was disorienting.  Sure, the wall was 300 feet tall, twice her height, but it somehow seemed like it was not enough now.

The castle rumbled under her footsteps and bits of it crumbled away as she simply charged forward. . . . . Just a few seconds more.  . .  . Another two. .

"FI-" was all I got out when it hit me.

It hit me, Abby and Jacob all at the same time.  Abby dropped to a knee, clutching her chest and Jacob supported himself against the wall. Beside us, the  humans looked confused as their leaders were suddenly stricken.

"Fi-fire!" I said weakly, but it was too late.  The humans did fire the crossbows but they soared over Leonara's head now because of the downward slope of the hill as she closed at full, blistering speed toward her right.

"The oil!  Drop the oil!" I shouted, finally getting my breath back.

The men responded, immediately dumping the hot oil cauldrons,but that must have been what she was planning on, because with one step, Leonara was across to the other side of the gate with nothing stopping her but the spikes.

Not that they were an obstacle for her. They didn't even slow her down as she planted her foot  and lept at the last second.

What happened next seemed to happen in slow motion.

*All jaws were on the ground as the massive woman cleared the rows of spikes, gliding 250 feet through the air as if she weighed nothing.  That ridiculous feat of athleticism was followed by what could only be described as the most violent force I had ever experienced, as she turned herself in midair, curling into a giant cannonball, leading with her hip and shoulder.

Leonara hit the wall directly in its weakest point.  An old repair from a long ago siege.  Arguably it wouldn't have mattered, because she struck it with the force of 1000 prayers anyway. . . .

In an instant, our world turned from a clear morning, to a massive cloud of dust and falling stone.  The men standing directly above the breech were more or less obliterated.  The crossbows were splintered and tossed every which way and the oil cauldrons were blown back  The shockwave traveled through the entire wall, pushing back the entire right side, all 2000 feet of it, from corner to gate, and even twisting the gate to the point where it looked like it wouldn't open now.

On our side of the wall had even been warped and cracked, a large spit down the center now from the massive amount of movement.  The humans had been knocked around as well, the unprepared getting tossed over the edge and falling 300 feet to their death.  Reacting quickly, I was able to snag one man by the arm as he fell, and hoist him back up.

Everything was silent for a moment that seemed to last forever. . . . Or maybe it was just in my head, because I looked over to see my sister yelling something at me, before she turned and lept over the wall, swinging down into the city below on a rope. A second later, sound returned to me like a crashing wave.  The sound was of men screaming, crying, and the thunderous footsteps of Leonara as she picked herself up, and was on the move.

By now, Jacob had jumped as well, and I followed suit, swinging down on to a rooftop.  As we ran to the decided upon rally point, Leonara rampaged through the humans like they weren't even there.  Archers from the wall shot arrow after arrow but they had zero effect on her.  Some bounced off of her armor, while others got caught in her hair. She casually raised her sword as she walked, dragging the tip along the wall and cutting some men, and just plain crushing others under the blade.

We sprinted from rooftop to rooftop, losing ground to the giantess as she stormed through the other side of the city.  Up ahead of us, Olivia, Cassius , and Julius were waiting for us, a look of distress on Olivia's face, as she too recognized what we were all feeling.

'We know!" Abby said before Olivia could comment on the situation.  "But we don't run!  We need to figure out where the pillars are, and take them out.  We may not have the advantage right now, but at worst, this only levels the playing field since we're in the 4th biggest city in the realm.  Plenty of places to hide!  Wait for an opening and we'll chop her down like a tree if we have too."

We all nodded our agreement.  Cassius, Julius, and myself went down to the streets, while Abby, Jacob and Olivia stayed on the rooftops and headed in her direction.  Meanwhile, Leonara had finally crossed paths with the other half of the party and was engaging with them now.  They ran and jumped on jutting pillars of stone to elevate to the level of her face, with various degrees of success.  While it was a game changer that Monte could still use his abilities, it was abundantly clear that without our own, we weren't getting through her armor and all she had to do was swat anyone away from her face.

As we ran, I looked up to see Darius jump for her face, only to get caught by her hand at the last second.  She crumpled him up, before tossing him into the wall, embedding him in the rock.  Harley tried next, but with a swing of her arm, the raised earth ramp was crumbled as Leonara pushed right through it, leaving Harley to plummet 100 feet to the ground.

"This has to be Elise's doing. . . " I informed Cassius and Julius as we ran through the deserted streets.  "There is no other reason she would need to be here.  So. . . . Why is she outside of the walls, instead of in here fighting?"

It clicked for all of us at the same time.

"She's guarding them!" We all said together.  A moment later, we rounded the corner and came out in the vast courtyard that bordered the back gate.  Unfortunately, it was shut, and appeared to be locked. To make matters that much better, Elise was standing just outside the gate, leaning up against the tree and grinning.

"You know, you look pretty good in a cage, Ant!" She commented, with a chuckle as she walked over and crouched in front of us, with only the gate between us as she peered in like we were tiny pets.

"And you're going to look pretty good dead!" Julius spat back, grabbing the bars of the giant gate and rattling them in anger.

I think myself and Cassius for sure were shocked.  It even took Elise a second to comprehend the size of the balls on this little human. When she finally did, she burst out laughing, right in his face.

"This one's hilarious, Ant!" She commented as she stuck a finger through the bars, poking Julius in the chest and knocking him over.  "While I would absolutely LOVE. . . To get in there and have some fun with you little mutts, I'm under strict orders to stay out here, and crush anyone trying to touch the pillars or escape."

Julius stood, rushing back to the gate and swinging his blade wildly with his arm through the bars but Elise kept just out of reach, not that his sword could even pierce her skin anyway.

"You're a feisty little guy, aren't you?" She asked, that bitchy grin of hers still present.  "Why don't you open up this little gate and come play?" She asked, pointing to the lift mechanism on the side of the gate.

Julius just about grabbed it, but Cassius grabbed him and pulled him back.

"Fool! Are you trying to get yourself killed?" Cassius demanded, as he drug Julius away and back the way we had come. 

"It's not like it even matters!  I was already dead for the last battle, wasn't I?" Julius screamed in my direction as he fought against Cassius to get free.

"Why don't YOU open it, Ant?" She challenged, with a smile. "You think you could beat me without your prayers?" She questioned, stroking the bars with her finger.

I honestly contemplated it.  Elise was a very capable fighter, but I had enough tricks up my sleeve to at least disable the pillar.  Or maybe distract her long enough to let Cassius or Julius get there. For the moment I turned and walked away.

"That's alright!  I understand!  I wouldn't fight me either!" She called after me just as I disappeared behind a building, out of her sight.

"Who the hell is that?!" Cassius asked, still holding Julius back.

"An old acquaintance of mine. ." I replied, not wanting to get into it.  "Nevermind her though!  I'm going to go distract her, and I want you two to get to a pillar."

Just then, there was a huge crash in the building behind us.  Henrietta lay unconscious in the rubble.

"It looks like they could use your help over there!" Cassius said, looking up to see the swarm of slayers getting physically wrecked by the giantess.  People getting swatted and slammed left and right. "We will handle this." He said, in  a way that felt like goodbye.

I wanted to protest, but they turned and ran toward the part of the city where fresh water was made to flow in. I should have followed them. . . .

Instead, I woke Henrietta, and we made our way back into the fight.  We hadn't made it 3 blocks when Peter came crashing to the ground as well, hitting hard and smashing through a brick wall to our left.  He was still conscious, but he really didn't look like he wanted to fight anymore.  When he saw us, he reluctantly stood, and fell in with us.  On a rooftop a few blocks ahead, Darius narrowly dodged a swing from Leonara's blade, that completely obliterated the building.  He too got with us.

"Foxhole!" I began to shout, to signify to everyone else that we were changing tactics.  It looked painfully obvious that we weren't even close to challenging Leonara without our prayers.  With a new plan, all the commotion of the battle stopped and there was relative silence, as we hid inside a nearby building.  I peeked my head out a doorway to see that Leonara was calmly dusting herself off.  Her armor had a few minor scuffs from where she had plowed through the wall, but other than that, she seemed untouched.

I ducked back inside as she began to walk our way.  I signaled to the others to get ready to attack when she passed by, but they all shook their heads no, looking down at the ground. . . .

I don't know if I could blame them.  As Leonara passed by on the very street we were on, crushing a large merchant cart underfoot, it was impossible to not respect her sheer size.  How could we not?  She was walking relatively quietly and still her footsteps made it difficult to keep our feet on the ground.  Every step bounced us into  the air, rattled buildings, and crushed the streets.

"Elise?" Leonara asked, stopping a block down from us.

"Yes, your highness?" Elise replied from outside the gate.

". . . It's too quiet.  Why don't you walk the perimeter from now on. . . . I'm 100% sure they are planning something right now. " Leo replied, glancing around.  "They are hiding from me right now, but Juliette told me they would do this."

"Ok, I'll patrol for you!  Ant was just at the gate.  He is definitely coming!" Elise answered, and soon her own footsteps could be heard and felt.

"Alright.  Kill him if you have to, but if he can be taken alive, please do.  Juliette could use a pick me up right now." Leonara said casually, before she stepped over a row of buildings and onto another street.

Suddenly we were shook the sound of a stomp.

"Heh, you filthy little rats!  I hope you know that these cheap little hit and run tactics will never defeat me!" Leonara called out.  "One little trip up, and that's it for you."

She was right, but that had been the way it was since the beginning.  Nothing had changed, but convincing everyone else of that was a different story.  We had gone too long without success.  Now we were having to fight as hard as we could, just to scratch some armor.  It was a real test of what we were made of.

"Ok, let's go!" I said, sticking my head back out, before stepping into the street.

Looking behind me, Darius was there, a somewhat determined look on his face.  Beyond him, Peter and Henrietta stayed put.

"Are you guys serious right now?!" I asked, my voice barely under control.

"Ant. . . . You know as well I do. . . . We can't beat her like this." Peter said, looking at the ground as he said it.

"And would you have one of your brothers or sisters die because you were too afraid to back them up!?" I demanded, walking back in and putting my fist through the wall by his head.

"You would know all about that, wouldn't you Ant?!  You're such a fuckin' hypocrite!" Henrietta shouted, shoving me away from Peter and across the room.

Instantly I was back and in her face.

"I'm done apologizing for it, so fuck you too, Henrietta! You just gonna act like she didn't kill Malakai too?" I screamed, looking up, but inches from her face.

She closed her eyes for a brief moment, and when she opened them and looked away, there were tears.

Across the city, there were more crashes and stomps.

I didn't wait to see if I had moved her.  Instead I turned and ran in that direction, jumping up the wall of a building and to the rooftops. Leonara's eyes were on the street below her, distracted as she walked slowly, awaiting the next attack. Darius was beside me, and we jumped across roofs on our way to her.  We were just about there, when we reached a building that had already been smashed.  There was no way to get closer, but with no other option, we jumped as far as we could.

To my surprise, the ground rose up beneath our feet, elevating us.  I couldn't see where Monty was hiding, but I guess he could see us as he gave us a ramp up to Leonara.  Unfortunately she spotted us just as we were about chest height with her, on her right side.  She swung her sword in defense, smashing the rock pillars that we were jumping from.

It narrowly missed.  Darius lost his footing, falling to a lower pillar that caught him.  I was able to cling onto Leonara's arm as it passed by, catching the armor of her forearm.  I wobbled, but got my footing as she followed through on her swing, but it was short lived.  I lifted my sword up, and plunged it down, managing to punch a blade sized hole in armor and sink my steel into her forearm.

"Shit!" She snapped, and reflexively, her hand came for me. I expected this, again pulling out the dagger that I had stuck in her finger before and jammed it there again.

"Seriously, this shit again?!" She shouted, ignoring the pain in order to get a hold on me. I held on to my sword as tightly as I could, Leonara pulling me by my legs.  She was so damn strong!  My grip was just about to give out, when suddenly she flinched and her hand released me.

Down below, I saw Darius on her thigh, and he too had stabbed his sword.  Unfortunately he didn't react quick enough, and was swatted against her thigh like a bug, before he was gripped, raised, and smashed brutally to the ground.  He lay, writhing in pain, deep in the crater that Leonara's freak strength had created.

Not missing a beat, she lifted her boot high, to completely snuff him out of existence, but lucky for Darius, Monty was looking out for him.  Just as she went to finish him off, a jagged, pointy piece of earth jutted out of the ground, threatening to poke a hole in the sole of her foot, so she placed her foot back down.  Instead she turned her attention back to me.  Her fingers wrapped around me again, squeezing me in her fist and violently ripping me from her arm.  She drew her arm back, and threw me as hard as she could at the wall.

It would have probably been enough to put me down for some time, but just as I was about to hit, the stone of the wall became sand and the force was easily absorbed.  I dropped to the ground unharmed and ducked into a building just as Leonara stepped into the street.

Even in hiding I wasn't safe, as the building next to the one I was in was crushed by her sword, and the one across the street under her boot.  I had no choice but to run back out just as her sword came through the roof of my own building.

"There you are! She exclaimed, and I was greeted promptly with a boot to the chest that sent me flying back into the wall.  This time there was no help and I took the full brunt of it, cracking the stone behind me before dropping to my knees on the ground.  Leonara blocked out the sun above me, arrogant smirk on her beautiful face.

She reared back to kick me again, but I dove to my left, avoiding her and breaking into a run around a corner as she took a boot sized chunk out of the wall, and that was when something caught her eye. . .

It was me. . . . Staring at her from atop a building a few blocks opposite the direction she had just seen me run.  She paused, and for the briefest moment, there was doubt in her mind and equally so on her face. . . . . The mind games had begun.

 

Chapter 35 by Stevie

We burst back into our realm, into pure sunshine and 50 feet up in the air.  The other slayer was prepared for it, landing cleanly on his feet and sliding to a stop.  Myself and Olivia on the other hand were not expecting to be dropped out of nowhere and as such, plowed into the ground with all the grace of two people being smashed into the ground from 50 feet in the air, not expecting it.

The man only looked at us with disdain. Before turning to walk away.

"Hey, Asshole!" I shouted after him.

He stopped in his tracks but didn't turn around.

"I think you owe us an explanation!  What the fuck was all that back there!" I continued.

The man sighed an irritated sigh, before turning around and approaching us.

"I wouldn't expect simpletons like you to understand,but what do you know of enlightened ones?" He asked, rudely.

"You mean witches? Like the woman who just about ate me?! I think we can probably grasp the concept, IDIOT!" Olivia shouted at him, sarcastically as she stood, dusting herself off.

The man was slightly taken aback by her reply and I was honestly proud of Olivia.  My attitude was beginning to wear off on her. 

"Yes. .well. . . That particular witch had been plaguing the base of the northern mountains for the last few years.  Capturing and having her way with weary travelers. Maybe 100 or more. It took some time to figure out where she was taking them and how, then longer still to learn how to travel between realms at will, but I finally managed it." He explained proudly.

"And are you a witch as well?" I asked, looking over his tattoos.

"I am an enlightened one, yes.  My mother was human and enlightened as well, and my father was a slayer." 

"As a slayer, don't you think there are more pressing matters at hand then some witch in the northern mountains?" I asked, heavily insinuating the three daughters.

"Ha!  I think the words you're looking for are "thank you for saving our asses!" The man laughed,  turning again and waving us off as he walked away.  This time we followed him.

"We ARE thankful, but at the same time we are still in need of more swords for an upcoming battle.  Able bodied fighters are few and far between these days!" Olivia said, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"As true as that is. . . I both have better things to do, and don't waste my time fighting giants!" He replied, tenderly lifting Olivia's fingers from him in disgust.


"What do you mean you don't fight giants?!  You're a slayer!" I said, confused and irritated with this man's arrogance.

"I'm only half slayer.  Suffice to say, I don't have the strength, nor the durability to go toe to toe with most giants.  I was given a gift, and choose to use it more effectively than that." He replied as he walked out of the woods and onto a road.

A road where there shouldn't have been. . . 

In fact. . . None of this terrain matched what we left behind the night before. I could that Olivia had realized the exact same thing.


"Excuse me, but where are we?!" She asked, a hint of panic in her voice. 

"Approximately 2 miles east of the village of Bostille." The man answered as he rounded a bend in the road, revealing a horse tied to a tree on the side of the road.

Olivia's jaw dropped and nearly hit the dirt.  Understandably so. . . . Because Bostille was one of the northern most and the western most village in the human realm.  Literally on the border with giant country, the only thing that kept it from getting crushed was the fact that it was so inconveniently out of the way for both giants and humans, that nobody really bothered to set foot there.

None of that would be too terribly interesting, except if what this man had said was true, then we were now 4 days further away from our destination than we had been before. That and now we had no supplies and no horses.

"That. . . That can't be true!  We were only a day's ride out of Pherron last night!" Olivia stated, in disbelief.

"And now you aren't!" The man said flatly.  "That IS how the portal works, but it takes me back to wherever I left from, and this was it." He explained as he mounted his horse.  

"I suggest you walk to Bostille, barter for some horses and make your way back east. . . . Maybe try to avoid a witch's hunting grounds this time!' He called over his shoulder as he booked it south. 

Olivia clenched her fists and shouted a stream of obscenities in his wake, but he was out of earshot in a moment of two.  She breathed heavily, her shoulders heaving.

"Let's go, Ant!  We're getting horses and we are going to ride like hell!" She said to me as she began to stomp up the road. 

"Believe me. . . . Nobody wants to get back to fighting the charming Leonara more than I do. . . . But I need rest.  My arm hasn't begun to heal like it should and my shoulder bandages have bled all the way through yet again." I complained as I followed her.

"There isn't time!  The fight may have already happened for all we know!  If we aren't there and everyone dies. . . ." She trailed off.

She didn't need to finish that thought. We all sort of knew that we were coming to the end of the line with this whole thing.  

"Ride on without me. Stick to this northern road and when I'm feeling better, I'll be right behind you." I offered.

Olivia gave me a look that told me she didn't buy that, but she vocalized her agreement anyway.  We got to Bostille in a few minutes time,  filling our bellies with food from the market after some easy labour helping a farmer with his cart. From there, Olivia "borrowed" a horse and rode off.

I, on the other hand, found my way to the only inn in the town, which conveniently came with an older human woman to tend to my wounds and pamper me, and her husband, who was an amazing cook. 

"Who did this to you?" The woman asked, as she more properly cleaned my shoulders stab wound, as I sat on a stool in front of her.

"Oh! A fine young lady by the name of Leonara!" I exclaimed, faking excitement.

The woman and her husband exchanged worried glances.

"Well. . . We will get you patched up. It sounds like you need to take a break from all the fighting, so you can actually heal!" The man said, chopping vegetables at the counter.

"Believe me. . . I would like nothing more than that, unfortunately I'm already late for a fight." I said, wincing as the woman poured some alcohol on my stab.  From there, she began with stitches.

"Is. . . Your target. . . Around these parts?" The man asked nervously.

"I mean. . . . This village is still here, so I would say not. She was headed east. . . Or so she said. " I answered, picking up on the weird vibe he and his wife were giving off when it came to any mention of giants.

"Why? Is there a giant I need to slay around here?" I asked, studying his face.

He chuckled slightly, but kept chopping vegetables.

"No offense to you or your kind, boy. . . . But. . . I don't think there are enough of you around anymore to take on that girl. . . " he said ominously. 

"But that's not a challenge either, is it Ronald?!" The woman said, glaring at her husband.

"What are you two talking about?" I interrupted, looking between them.


"There. . . . IS a giant around here. Up in the hills.  Has been for probably 4 months now.  Biggest I've ever seen, but she. . . . She is just living, minding her own business.  Kind of strange. . . . But it's a better alternative than what she could be doing.  That's for sure." The man explained, scooping up the vegetables and putting them into a frying pan. 

"She's harmless!" The woman added, nervously laughing.

"No giant is harmless. . . " I replied, standing up, and pulling my cloak over my arm and startling the woman.  

"You-you can't go up up there!" She protested, stepping in front of me and holding her arms out.

"Relax!  Do I look like I'm in any shape to go fighting the biggest giant this man has ever seen?" I asked, gently moving her out of my way.  " I'm just going to go take a look!  If she sees me, I'll talk my way out of it like I always do." I reassured them, as I left out the back door.

I mounted my borrowed horse and headed north.  There was a well worn path that led out into the rolling grassy plains.  The wind was strong with no trees to block it and the grass seemed to howl.  I rode for a solid hour before crested the first big hill and found nothing on the other side, but there was smoke off in the distance.  I decided that heading that way was the best bet.

Another hill, this time a lot larger, and I could tell the source of the smoke was a couple hills over.  I rode on cautiously, cresting another hill, where I dismounted my horse to inspect a large patch of flattened grass.  A footprint. . . . A very. . . Very big footprint.  Leading the horse up the side of the hill, I crept to the top, crouching in the long grass and peeked over into the huge valley.




Shit. . . . . 


I really didn't need any confirmation to know that face.  I could barely see it through the mess of strawberry blonde hair that was blowing around it, I had seen enough of that particular family to know that this giantess before me must be. . . 

Florence.

My heart actually threatened to stop.  In the back of my mind I guess I never really thought I'd come across her. . . If nearly killing her little sister didn't bring her rage, I was silently hoping that  nothing would.  Like maybe she would just break her ankle out in the wilderness somewhere and starve to death or something.  

Wishful thinking I guess, because here she was. . . Although seeing her for the first time, I can honestly say that this wasn't what I had envisioned for the largest living person in the world. 
Granted, she wasn't standing, so her size wasn't immediately obvious, but even so. . . . The only word I could think of to describe her was. . . 

Humble.

She was just sort of there.  Sitting there on the hillside, knees in her chest, arms around her leather-clad legs, and her bare feet and bone ankle bracelets exposed in the long grass as she stared out into the valley.  Her giant boots were sitting to her right, between her and myself and her massive, elegant sword was to her left.  On top of the hill, behind her and to the left was a couple walls of what was becoming a giant log cabin.  Various tools were scattered around and leaning up against the wall.

It all just seemed so. . . . Mundane. . For this demon who had demolished scores of slayers at this point.  But here she was. . . Just sitting and. . . .looking directly at me. . . 


Fuck. . . . 

"I see you. . . . You don't need to hide. . " she said, sort of awkwardly, but there was zero malice in her voice.  I knew by now that there would be no outrunning her in this much open space and she didn't appear to be looking for a fight just yet, so I cautiously rose from the ground and approached her through the long grass, when suddenly my horse pulled free from my hand and began to gallop towards her.


"You stupid animal!" I cried as my only escape route trotted toward my enemy.  Surely she would crush it or. . . . Or. . . 

I froze in place, slightly confused as the horse approached her waiting hand, and began to nuzzle it as she used her finger to stroke its mane.

"You can relax!  I wouldn't hurt an innocent animal!" She chuckled as the horse received her loving. "She's beautiful! Aren't you?" She cooed, rubbing the horse under the chin.

Apprehensive, I stopped about 40 feet away from her, my good arm with my hand on the hilt of my sword.  She glanced at me and her face soured.  

"Oh. . . Are you only here looking for a fight?" She asked, sadness in her voice.

I said nothing, waiting to see where she was going with it.

"Because I don't think you want to do that. . ." She finished, looking out on the valley again.

"You think just because you're the biggest creature on earth, that I should be afraid of you?" I asked,  hint of challenge in my voice as I chuckled off her arrogance.

"Hardly!" She laughed.  "It's just that you look like a gentleman. . . . And a gentleman wouldn't want to attack a defenseless lady, any more than I would like to attack a gentleman with a broken arm." She stated, confidently.

"You know nothing about me." I replied plainly.

"I wouldn't say that's entirely true. . . . Anthony Lockwood." She said, with a slight smirk.

I took a step back and drew my sword, defensively. 

"Relax! I truly don't want to fight you, right now." She exclaimed, rolling her eyes at me.

"Why? Am I not worthy of it?  My reputation obviously proceeds me.  As does yours, Florence." I said.

"I assure you, you're worthy!" She exclaimed, bestowing fake praise on me.  "I'm just not sure why you think that fighting is your only option here." 
"Oh!" I genuinely laughed at her. "Then why don't you enlighten me of my options, your highness!"

"Well. . . We could fight. . . And one of us would likely die. . ." She began.

"You think you'll crush me, just like that?" I asked, now very irritated, even though I knew that this situation wasn't in my favor.

"Geez!  What's with you slayers? You always want to believe I'm looking down on you!" She huffed, digging her hands into the grass, and pulling up massive clumps in her fists. 

"Are we wrong? I mean. . . You are the biggest being on earth!" I spat at her.

"You think that means anything?!" She replied, a hint of annoyance in her voice.  "If size meant anything, than you slayers would never have been a viable defense for the human realm, would you?!"

"Are we though?  How many of us have you killed, so far?" I countered.

"I totally knew that is where you were going with this!"she laughed.  "I'm not still here because I'm just big!. . . . I'm still alive because I never underestimate my opponent!" She declared. "I fight every battle like it could be my last!" 

"Fine, whatever! I only came up here because I was told there was a giant up here!  If we aren't going to fight, then I'll just leave!" I shouted at her, putting my sword away, and grabbing the reigns of the horse. 

"I didn't say you had to leave. . . "She said cryptically as I began to walk away. "I just said we don't have to fight. . . "

I threw my hands up and turned around. "Why don't you just tell me what you mean instead of playing these stupid games!" I shouted, scaring the horse.

"What I mean. . . . Is that you COULD just sit here on this hill with me and enjoy a beautiful day in the human realm!" She exclaimed, remaining perfectly calm, patting the ground beside her, and smiling gently.

I took a deep breath. . . . Was I really considering taking a seat with this woman?  I mean. . . . This WAS a fight that I knew I couldn't win on my own, on top of the fact that she didn't seem to feel like killing me either.  It would be unwise to make her change her mind. . . . With a sigh, I walked over to her and awkwardly took a seat 15 feet away from her.

She squealed with a girlish delight, clapping her hands.  She really was an odd duck. . . 

"I'm so glad you decided to stay!  It gets lonely out here sometimes!" She said, looking to me with a fake frown.

"Am I allowed to ask what you are even doing out here in the first place? Aren't you supposed to be slaughtering an entire race of people or something?" I asked, my displeasure for her actions abundantly clear.

"There you go, immediately ruining the mood!" She complained. "This. . . Isn't an extermination, ok?" 

"Yeah yeah,  it's an eviction!" I interrupted her with the same schlock that Leonara had pitched me. "Your lovely sister told me the exact same thing!  She's pissed that you're out here fucking around too, by the way." I finished.

"You spoke with Leonara?!" She asked, looking at me with confusion.

"We've had some run-ins." I replied, holding up my broken arm.

"Hmm. . . . You're just super popular with both of my little sisters aren't you!" She noted, poking me with a giant finger. "But yeah, she's. . . Playful. . .

I honestly didn't know if she knew what we had done to Juliette.  I assumed she did, but this would be pretty awkward if she didn't.  Luckily she answered the question without me having to ask. 

"You're all Juliette thinks about as she gains her strength back. . . . She even gave us standing orders to bring you to her alive so she can hold you until she is ready to fight you!" Florence explained with a laugh. "I'm honestly sort of proud of her.  I couldn't tell you how many times Leo and I had to beat up the bratty little boys around the castle for picking on her growing up!"

"She knows I'm not worth it, right?" I asked, truthfully.

"She gets this way sometimes. . . She feels like you slighted her in my eyes that day at the mine. Like I felt she couldn't handle an important job on her own.  You know how siblings are. . . . I told her it didn't matter to me but she doesn't listen.  She is going to be pretty upset when I tell her about this!" She said, grinning. 

"You never did tell me what you're doing out here. . . . Just hanging out in the human realm like this." I said, motioning to her cabin project. 

"Can you blame me? The human realm is so beautiful. . . . Giants, we. . . . " she began, staring off into the distance again while choosing her words carefully.  "We honestly destroy everything we touch. . . . There are just so many of us now. We just always need more space."

I just shook my head in angry disbelief at what she was saying.  Her here trying to justify what they were doing.

"I understand why you're cross. . . . But this is how it's going to be." She said, genuine pity, but no regret in her voice. 

"Hmm" was all I replied.  Somehow hearing her put it like this, so calm and matter of factly, was more gut wrenching than hearing Leonara be a bitch about it. 

"So what happens after you take over the human realm then?" I asked, coldly.

". . . . I believe it's entirely up to you.  I know about that island the humans have been escaping to.  I think that is a good option.  It's not like we could anyway, but we have no intention of following you there.  If you all left today, then this could all be over." She stated, like it might be helpful.

I couldn't help but laugh a vindictive laugh.  My mind filling with dark thoughts that didn't normally cross my mind. I stood suddenly, and turned to walk away.

"Would it make you feel better to fight to  the death?" She asked solemnly from behind me.  

"I just don't think you're going to like where this leads. . . " I replied over my shoulder as I mounted my horse.

As if the gods agreed with me, suddenly the sky darkened out of nowhere, and with a massive crack of thunder, Florence's beautiful day was gone in a heavy downpour and high wind.  I stayed for just a moment as she looked to the sky in disbelief, before she hurriedly grabbed her boots and blade and stood.  

And there it was. . . . That overwhelming fear as she stood to her full height.  Not towering over me intentionally, but just on her way to shelter. Still she was bigger and stronger than anyone else anywhere.  She gave me one last look, silently blaming me for the rain, before she turned and ran to her tent up by her unfinished cabin, shaking the earth beneath my feet.  And with that, I turned and left as well. 

From there I was on a war path.  Something about the casual way she stated that her takeover was inevitable set me off and lit an old spark in me. Immediately I invited the death goddess into me and she healed my broken arm. I rode hard and within three days I caught up with Olivia and together we made it to Pherron in another 3.

We got there to discover that nobody had even seen Leonara yet.  Scouts hadn't layed eyes on her or even seen footprints. It struck everyone as odd, but the lull was still welcome.  The city was now heavily fortified.  Every crossbow had been loaded with giant arrows atop the 300 foot tall walls, along with all the hot tar they could mix.  Outside the wall, logs had been carved into stakes that pointed outward in rows to stop her or at least slow her down from scaling or knocking down the wall. 

The civilians were still inside, but there was an evacuation plan in place for when she arrived. I found my crew in the lord's castle.  I also found it strange that the lord of the city was giving us the assistance in a battle that would undoubtedly demolish his city instead of insisting we fight elsewhere, but here we were.  Admittedly I wasn't exactly thrilled to see any of them, considering Olivia was the only one who had bothered to look for me. 

The next few days were uneventful but eventually action did occur. . . . 


"There is a giantess outside the wall, coming this way!" A scout said, rushing into the courtyard. "It isn't Leonara, but she may still be a threat!" 

"We'll be ready on your signal" the lord said as he rallied his troops to their positions around the city.  

Myself, Abby and Jacob went to investigate, making our way through the cumbersome fortifications and out on to the path and waited.  A few moments later we saw a woman crest the hill, and my heart dropped.

It was Magnolia.

Her usually neat and clean dress was filthy and her face was bruised and dirty.  Beyond that, she was pulling the wagon that my father had built to let her or James transport the citizens of Lockwood, and it was full.  Beyond belief, that wasn't all either.  Behind that, tethered to the back, was another wagon, and inside appeared to be James, laying motionless.

"Shit. . . " was all I could say as we sprinted toward her.  She made it to within 500 feet of the castle, before she fell to her knees in front of us and tears began to run down her dirty cheeks, causing cleaner streaks.  Behind her, the humans began to leave the wagon and head toward the city, thanking maggie as they passed her.

"Magnolia! What are you doing here?! What happened?!" I asked frantically, putting a hand on her knee and looking up into her face.

"She. . . She killed them!" She blubbered, her face in her hands.

"Who Killed who Magnolia?!" Abby demanded.  "Stop crying!"
This only made her bawl harder.

"Maybe you being here isn't the most helpful thing right now." Jacob suggested, pointing for her leave.

"I just-

"Go!" Jacob interrupted her.
She scowled him down but did as she was told, helping the villagers carry their belongings into the city.


"She killed mother and father!" Magnolia wailed, tears and snot flowing heavily now as she began to hyperventilate. "I-I-I" she tried but couldn't get the words out.

She really didn't need to say who.  I knew. Jacob knew.  The look he was giving me was that of the Jacob of old.  The look of a heartless, cold blooded killer. 

"It's alright!. . . .It's. . . Well, not alright. . But at least you're safe now. . . Your brothers are here!" I said, placing a hand on her thigh and trying my best to calm her, but not sure what to say.  Meanwhile Jacob went to check on James, who looked lucky to even be alive.  His body was bruised, bloody and beaten to the point where his size was really the only recognizable trait about him. 

"Please, Magnolia. . . Come inside and calm down.  We will get you something to eat and you can tell us what happened when you are ready." I offered.

She nodded her head in agreement, standing up shakily.  The wagon was too big to fit down the city streets, so Maggie had to get James to the castle in the center of the city.  He was made a makeshift bed out in the courtyard by Magnolia and she insisted on staying by his side and nursing him constantly, but finally she was calm enough to tell us what had happened.


*Town of Lockwood.  Days earlier.*
It was a beautiful day.  Magnolia was just coming back to the house from the river.  Daddy was chopping wood outback and mother was doing laundry outside as well. That was when she saw him.  A man, Ezekiel, from town.  He was riding hard and screaming something about "her" being in the city.

Magnolia didn't know who "she" was, but the sudden seriousness of her parents was enough to worry her as they ran inside, retrieving their swords before riding for town.  They had instructed Magnolia to stay there, but she had a feeling in her gut that she should go.  She, her parents and James all arrived on main street at the same time, and there she was. . . . 

That giant, terrible woman.  Towering over everything but the trees as she stood at the other end of main with that arrogant look on her face as she sized them up.  Her blue eyes felt as potent as a dagger. 

Leonara.

"Hmmm.  So this is the town of Lockwood, huh?" She asked, looking around with disdain.  "Less here than I thought there would be, I guess. . . "

"Leave peacefully!" Jarvis said coldly, drawing his sword.

"My my!  Straight to the point, aren't we?" Leo replied, feigning shock and offence.  "I'm just here to visit the town named after the world famous Antony Lockwood!" She continued, looking around like a tourist.

"The city isn't named after him, it's named after me. . . " Jarvis replied, his patients wearing thin. 

"Oh, oh!  You must be papa Lockwood!" Leonara exclaimed, giggling.

This was enough bullshit for him, and Jarvis had seen enough.  He sprang into action, running forward and launching a vertical slash toward her.  She didn't miss a beat, and she quick drew her sword, swatting the attack to the side.  Jarvis kept coming, hurling another, but she just sidestepped this one.  He was closing the distance still on the ground,  and he sent a low prayer that hit the road and kicked up dirt.

This time though, Leonara had seen this tactic before, simply sidestepping again, but there was a nasty surprise waiting for her.  When she stepped out of the dust, there was another prayer there to meet her, courtesy of Gwen.  Leonara was admittedly caught off guard, throwing her head back awkwardly and narrowly avoiding the attack, having to stumble back.  Jarvis was on top of her immediately with another prayer as she was off balance, but she twisted her body backward, putting her hands down and that missed to, but also caught him with a kick.  He was smashed through the building to his left, clean through and out into the trees. 


Without hesitation, Leonara turned to Gwen and charged her.  Gwen let fly a horizontal slash but it was too low and Leonara hurdled it, raising her sword and bringing it down on the small woman, looking to crumple her as she slid to a stop.  This resulting in another cloud of debris, covered the outcome, but Leonara could tell she hadn't hit anything.  The crater she left usually disoriented slayers though, and as such, no counter attack happened.  Instead, the little male giant from her previous encounter emerged, sword drawn.


"Well, well!  The family lineage is finally revealed!" Leonara stated with a smirk.  "You aren't going to just hand over that little sword this time, are you?" She asked, holding her hand out.

"Shut your mouth and put up your guard!" James threatened, as he walked toward her.

"You sure are in a hurry to die, aren't you little one?" She laughed, putting her sword up in front of her.

James broke into a run, and engaged with Leonara.  The clang of swords rang out, but it was 100 percent James.  Leonara's infuriating grin never left her face as she half assed a defense, expertly parrying the boy that only came up to her thighs.  

"You're not half bad kid, but that size of yours is a real handicap here!" She said, noticing his solid footwork.  He was well trained, but still no match for her.
As if on cue, she picked one of the many openings he presented, and struck, knocking the blade out of his hands and flattening him with a giant fist to the face that pounded him into the dirt, out cold.

Magnolia let out a squeal of terror as her brother was brutalized by this giant, monster.  Leonara only stood over him, watching the small trickle of blood from his busted lip.  She was about to reach down and grab him, when a prayer passed between them that would have cut her hand off for sure.

She looked over to see that the two slayers had regrouped and were ready for round 2.  She stepped over the boy and faced them.  They wasted no time, splitting up as they approached her, from both her left and right.  They went to attack in unison, but Leonara interrupted the man to her fight, swinging with an easily dodged attack that was just meant to throw off his timing.  It worked, and as a result, she only had to avoid the attack from the woman, using her speed to in turn, split them and sliding to a stop facing them from the other side. 


The two slayers looked at each other.  It was becoming abundantly clear that this was no average, untrained villager.  They hadn't even put a scratch on her and she hadn't even broke a sweat.  

"Magnolia!  Load the wagon and get everyone out of here!" Jarvis shouted to the girl.

It was a plan they had discussed before, and Maggie knew exactly what to do.  She also knew exactly what it meant.  That her parents were prepared to fight to the death and not sure if they could win.  They had fought their fair share of giants in the town and never once had they called for evacuation.

Facing off with them, Leonara made the next move, swinging her sword across her body.  It crushed a building on it's way to the slayers.  They dodge it, but that was part of the attack, as they were now vulnerable in the air.  Before they could dodge, she caught them both with another kick.  They flew over the building's this time and once again out into the trees, snapping branches and tearing them off.

Leonara turned to see that James was conscious again and had drug himself from the dirt.  He stood defiantly in front of her, sword at the ready, but although he was full of determination, his legs were wobbly and he struggled to stay standing.

"Seriously?" Leo asked, as she looked him over, her free hand on her hip. "Look at you, kid!  You can barely stand!  It should be pretty obvious to you by now that I don't want to kill you, but I also don't have all day to play these little games either!" She said, a look of disbelief on her face. 

"Nobody asked you to spare me!  You fight your fight, I'll fight mine!" He replied stoically, spitting some blood off to the side. 

"You've got balls, man.  I'll give you that. . . . " was all she replied as she walked toward him, sword at her side.


Again James attacked, his movements slow and predictable as he lunged about, punch drunk.  This time Leonara didn't even need her sword as she bobbed and weaved, avoiding him at every step while her maddening giggle rang in his head.  He got more and more angry as he struck nothing but air, his years of training with his siblings amounting to nothing when it really counted. 

"I think I've had enough of this. . . " Leonara said casually, before once again stopping him in his tracks with a brutal punch to the stomach, forcing him to his knees, doubled over.  "Look up!" She added with a laugh.

James looked up to see Leonara's huge boot above his head.  He dove out of the way as she slammed it down where he had been kneeling.  Even though he was too big to get outright crushed by her, James was 100% sure that she would break bones if she connected with him.

"And again!" She exclaimed, giggling as her other foot rose up, her knee up by her chest with her ridiculous flexibility.  This time he was barely able to scramble to the side, getting scraped up and just narrowly avoiding his legs getting stomped on and likely broken.

Before he even had time to breathe, her other boot was above him.  The boy was forced to pathetically crawl as his enemy toyed with him, chasing him through his family's town with playfully exaggerated stomps.  Though she wasn't even putting any effort into actually stomping him, it was clear that if he didn't keep moving, the force she was putting into the stomps was very, very real. 

"I'll say that you definitely get your running skills from Ant and company!" She laughed as she continued to chase him through the dirt.  

In complete control, she herded him until his back was up against the wall of a building.

"Game over!" She declared, lifting her right foot as high as she could.  

James could only close his eyes and put his hands out as her boot descended upon him, though this did nothing to stop her.  Her brutal stomp connected with his chest, smashing him down through the building in a cloud of dust and chunks of building.  Only his legs were visible in the pile of rubble as she extracted her leg from the debris.  Whether he was unconscious or just utterly defeated, he chose to stay down this time.

"Right, one down, two to go!" She said to herself, turning to see where the other slayers were.  A moment later, they came limping around the corner a few blocks away.

They appeared to be in pretty rough shape.  Leonara's kicks had been known to break ribs and puncture lungs, even in giant men, though she had to give these two credit: they came back for more. 

Confidently, she closed the distance on them, strutting tall.  They attempted a few prayers each, but there was very little murderous intent behind them and Leo swept them aside with ease.  Running out of distance between them, the woman offered her husband her hand, and with a powerful spin, he threw her up at the giant's face. 

The slayer tucked into a roll, her sword out as she cut through the air like a saw blade. With only a split second to react, Leonara cut only move her head, allowing the woman to sail passed her. Unfortunately, the spin was too much and the woman didn't stick the landing, touching down and smashing through the wall of a nearby building.  The man tried a few more prayers but it was painfully obvious that single attacks would never work on this woman and by now she was directly on top of him.


He had no choice but to flee but he didn't get far as Leonara bent down and snatched him up in her big fist, his arms trapped at his sides and legs still moving forward. He moaned in pain, his old bones about to crush as she lifted him to her face.

"I'm afraid it's the end of the line, father Lockwood." She said simply, adding some more pressure to him.  He remained stone faced.

"It's not. . . Ughhh. . . It's not over yet!  My children will still bring home your head on a pike!" He groaned, defiantly.

"Your children flee from my footsteps like cockroaches! Your entire race does." Leonara said calmly, increasing the pressure even more.  "I'm saving dear Antony for my baby sister, but I will surely break the others in your name!" 

Another groan was all he could manage as his head began to turn from red to blue, and he spit a gush of blood from his mouth, sounds of his body giving up, faint.

"Say goodbye. . ." Leonara whispered in his face and with a final, tight squeeze and the audible crunch of bones, he was gone.

A scream of pure agony erupted from behind her as she turned to see that the boy had miraculously risen from his stomping and has seen his father's last moments.  Tears were flowing down his busted face, and he was on his knees.

Leo payed him no mind, tossing the corpse of his father aside on her way to where the woman had broken through the building.  She passed the boy, and in a desperate bid to stop her, he wrapped himself around her leg.  She kept on going like he wasn't even there, dragging him through the dirt like a spoiled child at the supermarket.

As the female slayer struggled to stand, the sun disappeared above her as this insurmountable opponent blocked out the light.  She looked up at her, those cruel, blue eyes staring back.  She knew her husband must be gone.  At the giant's feet, her loving baby boy doing anything to save her life, the way she had saved his, all those years ago.  Every event was just moving her toward this point in time it seemed, as the giant raised her foot for the last time.


The boy only winced as he heard the stomp, but a moment later the weight of the situation hit him like a ton of bricks.  He was all alone now.  This witch had killed his parents. She would kill his siblings.  She would take over the entire world! 

His thoughts overwhelmed him, but he was rudely awakened as Leonara grabbed a fistful of his hair.  He screamed in pain as she peeled him from her leg and dragged him by the hair behind her to the center of town, where she released him.  By now, his words had pretty much ceased and had been replaced by blubberings of mercy.

"Mercy?  Mercy?!  How much more do you think I have to spare?!" Leonara exclaimed, making a scene.  "I spared you out in the woods.  I've spared you twice today even!  You don't get to keep throwing my generosity back in my face, you know!" She spat, kicking him over onto his back.  "When you are bested, you stay down! " she continued, using her boot to flatten him to the ground.

"It's a hard lesson to learn, but there are consequences for your actions!" She continued as she stepped over him, lowering down to be hovering above him on her knees.  "Maybe I won't kill you. . . . But if I don't, it's going to be close."

James barely saw the first punch to his cheek, that snapped his head to the side.  He did feel a tooth loosen up in his gums though.  Another punch remedied that, as he spit the tooth out.  The next punch came from the other side.  The next, directly from the front, bouncing his head off the ground.  But she didn't just work his face.  The next two minutes were pure hell as Leonara pummeled every inch of him from head to toe.

He was still conscious as the bigger woman mashed him into submission, but he knew that would change at any moment.  His legs felt broken, or at least fractured and his arms were just numb. His ribs were likely cracked as well from her literally bone crushing stomp, still she pounded on them as well.  He was right when he told his sister that he was too big to be crushed, but now he really wasn't sure about that.

He awoke from his pain induced trance to Leonara saying something to him.

"Heal you up, and keep you around the castle as a little slave!  Hmm?  What do you think?" She asked, looking down at his swollen face.

"Huh?" He asked, instinctively.

Leonara rolled her eyes and raised her fist to finish him off.  He knew this would be it before he either died, or woke up in whatever life Leonara had been describing to him.  He flinched as she went to punch, but again she was interrupted before she could end him.

"Leave him alone!" A voice came at the top of her lungs.  "You're going to kill him!" Magnolia screamed as she rushed her brother's tormentor with his blade raised above her head. 

"Huh!" Leonara commented as she simply caught Magnolia by the arm, stopping her in her tracks. "And just who might you be?" Leo questioned, looking her over.

Magnolia squirmed against her, but was nowhere near strong enough to get free.  To emphasize the point, Leonara stood up, taking Magnolia with her, dangling her by her wrist. Maggie let out a cry of pain as Leo tightened her grip and James' sword clanged to the ground.

"Is this your brother, girl?" Leonara asked, holding her at arms length to keep from being kicked by her as she struggled.

"Please!  Haven't you- haven't you done enough here?!" Magnolia cried, choking back tears.

Leonara only focused on her, those infamous eyes boring through the girl.  It was so intimidating that Magnolia had to  squeeze her eyes shut.  

"What's your name, child?" Leo asked finally.

"Maggie. . . . Magnolia." Magnolia replied, sniffling.

Leonara sighed.  If she did have heart strings, this tiny girl was threatening to tug at them.

"Ok. . . . I don't normally do this, and I promise you it will not happen again but. . . . I'll make you a deal. ." Leo said, gently placing the girl back on her feet, before cautiously kicking the little sword off to side.

"You can have what's left of your foolish little brother here, and all of the humans. . . But this town's mine now.  And that odd house of yours out thereon the battlefield.  That's mine now too.  You leave here, and you don't ever come back.  If I catch you around here, or hear that you're plotting revenge on me. . . I'll kill you and put your head up on a pike out front of that little house." Leonara said, laying out her generous offer.

Magnolia stood, clutching her sore wrist to her chest as she thought about it, but only for a second. There really wasn't much to think about, and nothing but memories there for them anymore.  

"Ok. ." She said quietly.  "I accept your offer." 

"Good girl!  Why can't the men in your family be so reasonable, huh?" Leonara exclaimed, with a warm, but disgusting smile. 



*I was fuming. . . . I was fuming and ready to kill just about anyone at that moment as I paced the main hall of the castle. The story Maggie had told us about what Leonara had done was enough to make my blood boil. Jacob and Abby were right there with me.  Abby was so pissed that she punched a hole in the castle wall, and Olivia had to take her out to cool off. 


"So what, we just sit around here and wait for her to show up?" I shouted at Peter.

"We don't have any other choice, Ant. Believe me, I've thought about it.  We've tried roaming and following leads, and that has gotten us nowhere.  Let's just wait it out here.  The lord of the city has been kind enough to put us up in his castle.  Let's just enjoy it while we can." Peter argued, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"You don't find all this a little strange?  Why would the leader of this city, that has absolutely NO SLAYERS, welcome a bunch of complete strangers in? And not just into the city, but into his personal castle!" I ranted.

"Ant, you got me missin' the time when you weren't here!" Henrietta said, taking a big swig of her ale mug. "We got beer. We got shelter. I'd say we are doin' pretty good!" 

"Yeah, and meanwhile Leonara is out there killing my parents!" I shot back, knocking the mug out of her hand.

"I hate to say it, but she only did that to rile you up, Ant!" Peter chimed back in. "She is a master of this type of shit!  You'll get upset, do something foolish, and get more people killed.  To think that they could stay unaffected  by this whole thing was wishful thinking anyway." 

"Fine!  If all of you feel this way, then so be it!" I shouted, before storming out.


And that is how the next two days went. Uneventful. I paced the walls, making sure that all the defenses were ready, sharpening my sword, and constantly going over the plan with everyone until they were sick of talking to me about it. My mind was a wreck.  I wanted to so badly ride to Lockwood, find Leonara, and obliterate her in anyway possible.  For a moment, my mind drifted to Zahra,  and how I had unceremoniously killed her in her sleep, among other dishonorable things I had done in my past.  Thinking about it, these days it was becoming harder to see the difference between myself and the dark things that the death goddess persuaded me to do, while also becoming easier to do those things. That night, I was visited by nightmares of my fights with Leonara.  She haunted me with her size, her inhuman flexibility and the uncanny way she could avoid attacks.  Not just that, but her brute strength as well.  It only lead to more questions.  Like how strong could Florence possibly be?

Things I didn't want to think about as I rolled around in my overly comfortable castle bed in the early hours of the morning.  I didn't like it, but nobody found this unfounded courtesy strange?  Humans usually only welcomed slayers when there was a giant on the horizon.  This whole thing stun-

"GIANT!" A man ran into the chamber we all shared and shouted, rousing us all.  "Leonara comes from the west!  We have maybe a half hour!"

Half asleep, we got out of bed and put the plan we had assembled into action.  Myself, and my siblings took our place on the front wall along with all the men from Lockwood and Pherron who had the balls to stand up for the human race.  Down in the city, the rest of the team was scattered on the rooftops of the city.  Poised for if Leonara was able to breach the wall.  All the civilians of Pherron made their way to the back gate of the city and waited.


20 minutes later, we finally felt the footsteps of a giant, and Leonara finally emerged on the horizon. This was really happening.  This was a new look for her as well.  I guess she must have been fucking around this entire time, because now she was fully adorned in a battle ready, lightweight suit of armor.  It was polished to perfection, with their family Crest "The great tree" engraved into the chest plate.

Stopping on top of the gentle hill that led into the city from the west, 1300 yards from the front gate, she regarded us for a moment, before she spoke.

"Lord Mathews!  I know you can hear me!  Now is the time to get your citizens out of here, as we discussed.  My associate will let you pass." She called out.

"What the hell is she talking about?" Abby asked, confused as the rest of us.

Her question was answered when the back gate began to creak open to reveal Elise the bounty hunter, adorned now in kingdom colors, blocking the path.  She towered over the humans at 110 feet tall, but still looked small framed by the 300 foot wall.  She had a smirk on her face as she stepped aside, leaning against a tree to let the humans pass.  They began to nervously file passed her feet and down the eastern path to wherever.

"What the fuck?!" Jacob breathed under his breath as it all became clear to him. This entire thing had indeed been a trap.  We most certainly had suspected it would be, but getting the entire city involved in it was unexpected, even for Leonara. It had to make us question the extent that she might control everything around us at any one time. But it was about to get even better. . . . 

"Ok!" Elise hollered when the last human had passed by her.  On cue, the large gate began to close, sealing us back in.  

"I see that there are still some men from Pherron among you!" Leonara observed.  "This is your final warning.  If you choose to stay, you are choosing death." She informed them.

Nobody moved from their post.

"Fine.  These are the battle lines that have been drawn." Leo replied, drawing her blade. She held it up to her face, looking across its blade and praying to whatever gods she still had any faith in.  Then she took a deep breath and. . . . began to run.

"Everyone at the ready!" I commanded to the small army of men on the wall.  "Wait for my mark!" 

They let out a cheer as they aimed the 6 giant crossbows at the path and prepared to fire. They kept themselves psyched up But as Leonara got up to speed, their bravado died off quietly. They had never seen anything so big, move so fast and it was disorienting.  Sure, the wall was 300 feet tall, twice her height, but it somehow seemed like it was not enough now. 

The castle rumbled under her footsteps and bits of it crumbled away as she simply charged forward. . . . . Just a few seconds more.  . .  . Another two. .


"FI-" was all I got out when it hit me. 



It hit me, Abby and Jacob all at the same time.  Abby dropped to a knee, clutching her chest and Jacob supported himself against the wall. Beside us, the  humans looked confused as their leaders were suddenly stricken.

"Fi-fire!" I said weakly, but it was too late.  The humans did fire the crossbows but they soared over Leonara's head now because of the downward slope of the hill as she closed at full, blistering speed toward her right.

"The oil!  Drop the oil!" I shouted, finally getting my breath back. 

The men responded, immediately dumping the hot oil cauldrons,but that must have been what she was planning on, because with one step, Leonara was across to the other side of the gate with nothing stopping her but the spikes. 

Not that they were an obstacle for her. They didn't even slow her down as she planted her foot  and lept at the last second.  

What happened next seemed to happen in slow motion.  

*All jaws were on the ground as the massive woman cleared the rows of spikes, gliding 250 feet through the air as if she weighed nothing.  That ridiculous feat of athleticism was followed by what could only be described as the most violent force I had ever experienced, as she turned herself in midair, curling into a giant cannonball, leading with her hip and shoulder.  

Leonara hit the wall directly in its weakest point.  An old repair from a long ago siege.  Arguably it wouldn't have mattered, because she struck it with the force of 1000 prayers anyway. . . . 


In an instant, our world turned from a clear morning, to a massive cloud of dust and falling stone.  The men standing directly above the breech were more or less obliterated.  The crossbows were splintered and tossed every which way and the oil cauldrons were blown back  The shockwave traveled through the entire wall, pushing back the entire right side, all 2000 feet of it, from corner to gate, and even twisting the gate to the point where it looked like it wouldn't open now. 

On our side of the wall had even been warped and cracked, a large spit down the center now from the massive amount of movement.  The humans had been knocked around as well, the unprepared getting tossed over the edge and falling 300 feet to their death.  Reacting quickly, I was able to snag one man by the arm as he fell, and hoist him back up.  

Everything was silent for a moment that seemed to last forever. . . . Or maybe it was just in my head, because I looked over to see my sister yelling something at me, before she turned and lept over the wall, swinging down into the city below on a rope. A second later, sound returned to me like a crashing wave.  The sound was of men screaming, crying, and the thunderous footsteps of Leonara as she picked herself up, and was on the move.  

By now, Jacob had jumped as well, and I followed suit, swinging down on to a rooftop.  As we ran to the decided upon rally point, Leonara rampaged through the humans like they weren't even there.  Archers from the wall shot arrow after arrow but they had zero effect on her.  Some bounced off of her armor, while others got caught in her hair. She casually raised her sword as she walked, dragging the tip along the wall and cutting some men, and just plain crushing others under the blade.

We sprinted from rooftop to rooftop, losing ground to the giantess as she stormed through the other side of the city.  Up ahead of us, Olivia, Cassius , and Julius were waiting for us, a look of distress on Olivia's face, as she too recognized what we were all feeling.

'We know!" Abby said before Olivia could comment on the situation.  "But we don't run!  We need to figure out where the pillars are, and take them out.  We may not have the advantage right now, but at worst, this only levels the playing field since we're in the 4th biggest city in the realm.  Plenty of places to hide!  Wait for an opening and we'll chop her down like a tree if we have too."

We all nodded our agreement.  Cassius, Julius, and myself went down to the streets, while Abby, Jacob and Olivia stayed on the rooftops and headed in her direction.  Meanwhile, Leonara had finally crossed paths with the other half of the party and was engaging with them now.  They ran and jumped on jutting pillars of stone to elevate to the level of her face, with various degrees of success.  While it was a game changer that Monte could still use his abilities, it was abundantly clear that without our own, we weren't getting through her armor and all she had to do was swat anyone away from her face.

As we ran, I looked up to see Darius jump for her face, only to get caught by her hand at the last second.  She crumpled him up, before tossing him into the wall, embedding him in the rock.  Harley tried next, but with a swing of her arm, the raised earth ramp was crumbled as Leonara pushed right through it, leaving Harley to plummet 100 feet to the ground.

"This has to be Elise's doing. . . " I informed Cassius and Julius as we ran through the deserted streets.  "There is no other reason she would need to be here.  So. . . . Why is she outside of the walls, instead of in here fighting?" 


It clicked for all of us at the same time.

"She's guarding them!" We all said together.  A moment later, we rounded the corner and came out in the vast courtyard that bordered the back gate.  Unfortunately, it was shut, and appeared to be locked. To make matters that much better, Elise was standing just outside the gate, leaning up against the tree and grinning.

"You know, you look pretty good in a cage, Ant!" She commented, with a chuckle as she walked over and crouched in front of us, with only the gate between us as she peered in like we were tiny pets.  

"And you're going to look pretty good dead!" Julius spat back, grabbing the bars of the giant gate and rattling them in anger.  

I think myself and Cassius for sure were shocked.  It even took Elise a second to comprehend the size of the balls on this little human. When she finally did, she burst out laughing, right in his face. 

"This one's hilarious, Ant!" She commented as she stuck a finger through the bars, poking Julius in the chest and knocking him over.  "While I would absolutely LOVE. . . To get in there and have some fun with you little mutts, I'm under strict orders to stay out here, and crush anyone trying to touch the pillars or escape." 

Julius stood, rushing back to the gate and swinging his blade wildly with his arm through the bars but Elise kept just out of reach, not that his sword could even pierce her skin anyway. 

"You're a feisty little guy, aren't you?" She asked, that bitchy grin of hers still present.  "Why don't you open up this little gate and come play?" She asked, pointing to the lift mechanism on the side of the gate. 

Julius just about grabbed it, but Cassius grabbed him and pulled him back.  

"Fool! Are you trying to get yourself killed?" Cassius demanded, as he drug Julius away and back the way we had come.  
"It's not like it even matters!  I was already dead for the last battle, wasn't I?" Julius screamed in my direction as he fought against Cassius to get free.

"Why don't YOU open it, Ant?" She challenged, with a smile. "You think you could beat me without your prayers?" She questioned, stroking the bars with her finger. 

I honestly contemplated it.  Elise was a very capable fighter, but I had enough tricks up my sleeve to at least disable the pillar.  Or maybe distract her long enough to let Cassius or Julius get there. For the moment I turned and walked away.

"That's alright!  I understand!  I wouldn't fight me either!" She called after me just as I disappeared behind a building, out of her sight.

"Who the hell is that?!" Cassius asked, still holding Julius back.

"An old acquaintance of mine. ." I replied, not wanting to get into it.  "Nevermind her though!  I'm going to go distract her, and I want you two to get to a pillar." 

Just then, there was a huge crash in the building behind us.  Henrietta lay unconscious in the rubble. 

"It looks like they could use your help over there!" Cassius said, looking up to see the swarm of slayers getting physically wrecked by the giantess.  People getting swatted and slammed left and right. "We will handle this." He said, in  a way that felt like goodbye. 

I wanted to protest, but they turned and ran toward the part of the city where fresh water was made to flow in. I should have followed them. . . . 

Instead, I woke Henrietta, and we made our way back into the fight.  We hadn't made it 3 blocks when Peter came crashing to the ground as well, hitting hard and smashing through a brick wall to our left.  He was still conscious, but he really didn't look like he wanted to fight anymore.  When he saw us, he reluctantly stood, and fell in with us.  On a rooftop a few blocks ahead, Darius narrowly dodged a swing from Leonara's blade, that completely obliterated the building.  He too got with us. 


"Foxhole!" I began to shout, to signify to everyone else that we were changing tactics.  It looked painfully obvious that we weren't even close to challenging Leonara without our prayers.  With a new plan, all the commotion of the battle stopped and there was relative silence, as we hid inside a nearby building.  I peeked my head out a doorway to see that Leonara was calmly dusting herself off.  Her armor had a few minor scuffs from where she had plowed through the wall, but other than that, she seemed untouched.

I ducked back inside as she began to walk our way.  I signaled to the others to get ready to attack when she passed by, but they all shook their heads no, looking down at the ground. . . . 

I don't know if I could blame them.  As Leonara passed by on the very street we were on, crushing a large merchant cart underfoot, it was impossible to not respect her sheer size.  How could we not?  She was walking relatively quietly and still her footsteps made it difficult to keep our feet on the ground.  Every step bounced us into  the air, rattled buildings, and crushed the streets.  

"Elise?" Leonara asked, stopping a block down from us.

"Yes, your highness?" Elise replied from outside the gate.

". . . It's too quiet.  Why don't you walk the perimeter from now on. . . . I'm 100% sure they are planning something right now. " Leo replied, glancing around.  "They are hiding from me right now, but Juliette told me they would do this." 

"Ok, I'll patrol for you!  Ant was just at the gate.  He is definitely coming!" Elise answered, and soon her own footsteps could be heard and felt.  

"Alright.  Kill him if you have to, but if he can be taken alive, please do.  Juliette could use a pick me up right now." Leonara said casually, before she stepped over a row of buildings and onto another street.


Suddenly we were shook the sound of a stomp.  

"Heh, you filthy little rats!  I hope you know that these cheap little hit and run tactics will never defeat me!" Leonara called out.  "One little trip up, and that's it for you."

She was right, but that had been the way it was since the beginning.  Nothing had changed, but convincing everyone else of that was a different story.  We had gone too long without success.  Now we were having to fight as hard as we could, just to scratch some armor.  It was a real test of what we were made of.


"Ok, let's go!" I said, sticking my head back out, before stepping into the street. 

Looking behind me, Darius was there, a somewhat determined look on his face.  Beyond him, Peter and Henrietta stayed put.

"Are you guys serious right now?!" I asked, my voice barely under control.

"Ant. . . . You know as well I do. . . . We can't beat her like this." Peter said, looking at the ground as he said it.  

"And would you have one of your brothers or sisters die because you were too afraid to back them up!?" I demanded, walking back in and putting my fist through the wall by his head. 

"You would know all about that, wouldn't you Ant?!  You're such a fuckin' hypocrite!" Henrietta shouted, shoving me away from Peter and across the room.

Instantly I was back and in her face.

"I'm done apologizing for it, so fuck you too, Henrietta! You just gonna act like she didn't kill Malakai too?" I screamed, looking up, but inches from her face. 

She closed her eyes for a brief moment, and when she opened them and looked away, there were tears. 

Across the city, there were more crashes and stomps. 

I didn't wait to see if I had moved her.  Instead I turned and ran in that direction, jumping up the wall of a building and to the rooftops. Leonara's eyes were on the street below her, distracted as she walked slowly, awaiting the next attack. Darius was beside me, and we jumped across roofs on our way to her.  We were just about there, when we reached a building that had already been smashed.  There was no way to get closer, but with no other option, we jumped as far as we could.



To my surprise, the ground rose up beneath our feet, elevating us.  I couldn't see where Monty was hiding, but I guess he could see us as he gave us a ramp up to Leonara.  Unfortunately she spotted us just as we were about chest height with her, on her right side.  She swung her sword in defense, smashing the rock pillars that we were jumping from.

It narrowly missed.  Darius lost his footing, falling to a lower pillar that caught him.  I was able to cling onto Leonara's arm as it passed by, catching the armor of her forearm.  I wobbled, but got my footing as she followed through on her swing, but it was short lived.  I lifted my sword up, and plunged it down, managing to punch a blade sized hole in armor and sink my steel into her forearm.

"Shit!" She snapped, and reflexively, her hand came for me. I expected this, again pulling out the dagger that I had stuck in her finger before and jammed it there again.  

"Seriously, this shit again?!" She shouted, ignoring the pain in order to get a hold on me. I held on to my sword as tightly as I could, Leonara pulling me by my legs.  She was so damn strong!  My grip was just about to give out, when suddenly she flinched and her hand released me.

Down below, I saw Darius on her thigh, and he too had stabbed his sword.  Unfortunately he didn't react quick enough, and was swatted against her thigh like a bug, before he was gripped, raised, and smashed brutally to the ground.  He lay, writhing in pain, deep in the crater that Leonara's freak strength had created. 

Not missing a beat, she lifted her boot high, to completely snuff him out of existence, but lucky for Darius, Monty was looking out for him.  Just as she went to finish him off, a jagged, pointy piece of earth jutted out of the ground, threatening to poke a hole in the sole of her foot, so she placed her foot back down.  Instead she turned her attention back to me.  Her fingers wrapped around me again, squeezing me in her fist and violently ripping me from her arm.  She drew her arm back, and threw me as hard as she could at the wall.  

It would have probably been enough to put me down for some time, but just as I was about to hit, the stone of the wall became sand and the force was easily absorbed.  I dropped to the ground unharmed and ducked into a building just as Leonara stepped into the street.


Even in hiding I wasn't safe, as the building next to the one I was in was crushed by her sword, and the one across the street under her boot.  I had no choice but to run back out just as her sword came through the roof of my own building.

"There you are! She exclaimed, and I was greeted promptly with a boot to the chest that sent me flying back into the wall.  This time there was no help and I took the full brunt of it, cracking the stone behind me before dropping to my knees on the ground.  Leonara blocked out the sun above me, arrogant smirk on her beautiful face. 

She reared back to kick me again, but I dove to my left, avoiding her and breaking into a run around a corner as she took a boot sized chunk out of the wall, and that was when something caught her eye. . . 

It was me. . . . Staring at her from atop a building a few blocks opposite the direction she had just seen me run.  She paused, and for the briefest moment, there was doubt in her mind and equally so on her fa Th

This story archived at http://www.giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=8050