After Shrink High Act 3: Flames of Hope by Zanderas
Summary:

Act 3 picks up where Act 2 left off. A faint spark of hope has been found, but is in danger of being snuffed out before it can catch. Sanders, Darius, and the rest of the Phoenixes have to rally the scattered Resistance groups and unite them if they every hope to stop the Society.

But the groups have long been apart and have no love between them. Old hatreds and suspicious may doom their plan to fail. And lurking in the shadows is a threat that could damn them all. For not all of the Resistance wants them to succeed...

Will the flames of hope bring the Society's evils into the light, or will they burn everything to ash? Find out in Act 3 of After Shrink High, Flames of Hope.


Categories: Young Adult 20-29, Adult 30-39, Body Exploration, Crush, Destruction, Gentle, Insertion, New World Order, Sci-Fi, Violent, Vore Characters: None
Growth: None
Shrink: Doll (12 in. to 6 in.), Dwarf (3 ft. to 5 ft.), Micro (1 in. to 1/2 in.)
Size Roles: F/f, F/m, FF/f, FF/m
Warnings: Following story may contain inappropriate material for certain audiences, This story is for entertainment purposes only.
Challenges: None
Series: After Shrink High
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 119872 Read: 96985 Published: January 22 2016 Updated: November 07 2017
Chapter 13: Winter is Coming by Zanderas

Chapter 12: Winter is Coming

 

Samantha sighed as she looked over the casualty list from last night. Another five soldiers lost to those damn reapers... The cyborg assassins nightly toll… A toll she was powerless to stop...

 

She shook her head and looked out over the line. Despite having an office in the command center, and the biting wind, she almost always came to the roof to read these reports. It made her feel less... disconnected from her suffering troops. It was hard not being out there, but Graves was right, she was too valuable a target to risk the danger.

 

After the Society’s raid failed to break the line, the butchers had gone quiet for a few days. It didn't last though as people started to turn up dead, killed during the dead of night. It wasn’t long before they found the culprits… but failed to stop them. The remaining reapers had changed their tactics and started hit-and-run raids on the line. Every night the monsters came and, despite their best efforts, killed some of her people. Putting in flood lights, having Jessica patrol the line, and even having troops on night watch didn't help. The damn cyborgs keep slipping through and killing...

 

Logistically, the murders were a minor problem. Most nights only saw two or three people dead and those losses could be easily replaced. Moral wise, however, the constant fear and unease was taking a massive toll. Many of her troops were developing signs of stress disorder and even more were taking to sleeping with a written will, if they slept at all. Even Jessica and Sanders were being worn ragged, though that was more because of the other problem...

 

As if summoned by her thoughts, a sharp whistle drew Samantha's eyes upward and she cursed as catmonsters began to slink over the massive wall the Society had made. The things began to hiss, meow, and lick their lips as more of them joined the small horde. Damn them... Samantha knew it was a feint, that those catmonsters would never be sent out to attack, however... However she couldn't call that bluff, not when there might be a spy hiding in her own command.

 

Resigned herself to doing exactly what the Society wanted, Samantha took on her personal radio and tuned it to the command channel. There wouldn't be any need to explain, Charles would have heard, and seen, what was happening. At this point, she could have let him handle it, but this was her command and she needed to take responsibility.

 

"Lieutenant Charles, move fireteams Dog and Hound to the left center. Pull Echo and Tendon off rest and move them to center right. And..." Samantha hated having to do this, "and tell Sanders to be on standby."

 

"Understood, Ma'am," Charles responded, the barest hint of his own frustration in his voice. Samantha cursed under her breath as she saw activity ripple through the line. Exhausted soldiers leap to ready stations as sergeants bellowed out orders. Typhoons were loaded and readied as the massive Romunlus turrets began to stir. Troops that were supposed to be resting behind the line came rushing forward to reinforce their fellows. Even from up on the roof, Samantha could see the exhaustion, the frustration... and the despair that was plaguing all of them. But despite all that, they still moved to their positions, set up their guns, and made ready to greet the wave of catmonsters with a hail of lead.

 

But the catmonsters stayed near the wall, pacing back and forth as they eyed the troops with wanton hunger. Behind them, a giantess, one Samantha hadn't seen before, moved up to stand behind the wall. Her visor-covered eyes sweep over the line and she nodded in approval of something. Her skyscraper legs stepped over the massive pen the Society had made with ease and she giggled as some of the catmonsters rubbed against her. She looked around and moved over to the wreckage of a car the Society had used as part of the wall. Sitting down on it, she had one of the catmonsters leap up onto her lap. She then took out a book and started to read it with one hand while she pet the catmonster with the other.

 

Samantha's blood boiled at the mocking display. The cunt knew they couldn't do anything to her at this range so why bother even pretending to care? And the worst part was this same scene had been repeating for over two weeks... A mass of catmonsters would appear over the wall. A giantess would come with them and sit nearby. If Samantha keep the line reinforced, the group would stay put till nightfall then fall back. If not... well she had only made that mistake once and it still nearly cost them the line.

 

"Their wearing us down, aren't they?" Sanders, suddenly, asked from behind Samantha. She had to fight not to jump at his sudden voice, but managed to only jerk a bit. She hadn't even heard Jessica and him arrive at the command center she'd been so mad at that giantess. Getting herself back under control, Samantha sighed and nodded.

 

"Yes...they are. They're forcing us to stay on alert all day long and then having the Reapers terrorize us at night. Most of the troops are fighting off exhaustion and the few that aren't are worried they won't wake up tomorrow. It's only a matter of time till something gives..." Samantha admitted with an exhausted sigh. She wouldn't admit it, but this situation was taking its toll on her as well… The something that gave might just be her.

 

"Let us help, then. We can keep patrolling through the ni-" Sanders started to offer, but Samantha waved him off. She didn't need to look back at him to tell he was nearly dead on his feet. He and Jessica both were... They tried to hide it, but it was beyond obvious how exhausted both of them were. Making them stay up even later...

 

"Neither of you can do that and you know it. Besides, if the weather report is right, we won't have to worry about it for a few days," Samantha said, grabbing onto the small bit of hope that was dangling in front of her. As if responding to her hopes, a small piece of white floated past Samantha's eyes.

 

It was joined by others as dark, billowy clouds began to move to hover over the area. Snow... and if the report was right it was going to be a lot of it. Enough to force even the Society to hunker down and stay put. It was only a trickle for now, but Samantha was praying it would become a tide that would, finally, give her, Sanders, and her troops a chance to catch their breath. And, hopefully, for her to figure out how to stop this slow war of attrition.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Sanders couldn't remember when he had been so glad to see snow. While the night had been bitterly cold and forced even Pyrrha to huddle close to a fire, the sight of the sea of white covering no-man's land was worth it. Despite the clouds hiding the moon, the area was bright and welcoming thanks to the snow reflecting the floodlights. Any reapers stupid enough to try and do their nightly raids were picked off with ease and the rest turned back as the snow became deeper by the minute. For the first time in weeks, the soldiers were able to get some well earned rest.

 

The next day was just as welcome. The snow had stopped, but the clouds held the sun at bay and the temperature stayed well below freezing. Nearly two inches of snow had fallen overnight and quite a lot of shoveling was called for. Most of the emplacements were just rebuilt on top of the snow rather than being dug out while the others were broken down till they were needed. A few unlucky souls had died from exposure or being buried in the night, but those were almost welcome in a sick way. At least these deaths were from the weather, a force that no one could stop. A fact that become clear as their usual giantess sentinel made no appearance. It seemed the Society was just as snowbound as they were, or just unwilling to suffer the cold to keep them wary. Samantha, finally, could let her soldiers take shifts at watching the line and weary soldiers got their much, MUCH needed down time.

 

For their part, Sanders and Pyrrha spent the day hauling supplies to the line. With the roads either buried or frozen, they were the only way for extra clothing, rations, and firewood to reach the line. Thankfully, Samantha had planned ahead and had a large stockpile already in place. By mid afternoon, the line had enough supplies to last a week without resupply. And with no signs of any Society aggression, the pair were allowed to head back to town to warm up and rest. Sanders had been loathe to go, but Pyrrha needed the rest and if he stayed, she would. Besides, he wanted to check on Gabby and Roan.

 

So they had headed back to Rome proper and been given a full-sized room in the hospital to stay. Sanders stayed with Pyrrha long enough for her to pass out from exhaustion before slipping from her grip and heading out. It was a struggle not to cuddle up in her warm embrace and sleep away the day, but he hadn't seen or heard anything about Gabby or Roan since the raid. Sleep would have to wait...

 

Sanders didn't have to wait for clearance to head back into the ICU this time. The same clerk was there and sent him back and the guards let him pass without a word. He found Kimberly talking to Dr. Edmund and the trio exchanged weary smiles.

 

"Mr. Cutter, I trust the room we provided is adequate?" Edmund asked as they shook hands.

 

"More than adequate. I'm not interrupting anything, am I?" Sanders asked looking around the area. Considering the rather relaxed atmosphere, he didn't think he was, but still best to ask. Kimberly shook her head before answering.

 

"No, things are rather calm right now. This ceasefire is giving us a needed break as well," Kimberly said and Edmund nodded in agreement.

 

"Indeed. It is a very welcome change of pace not to have reaper victims coming in. Doubly so with how few we can actually save..." Edmund said with a frustrated sigh. Sanders had heard the reapers had been hitting the city as well, but didn't realize it was that bad. If they didn't break this siege soon...

 

"I...I suppose you are here to see Roan and Gabriella?" Kimberly asked, changing the subject. Sanders shook his thoughts away before nodding. She motioned for him to follow and the two left Edmund to go check on a patient.

 

"How are they?" Sanders asked as they approached Roan's room.

 

"Roan regained consciousness two days ago, but only briefly. He's been in and out since then, but hasn't been awake for more than a few minutes. Still, his vitals are all much stronger and he is definitely improving. We think he will be well enough to move out of ICU within the week," Kimberly said with a pleased smile. By the time she finished they had arrived at Roan's room. Sanders was pleased to see a good deal of the tubes, wires, and other things gone. He still had more than was comforting, but he looked closer to sleeping than in a coma. As if to prove the point, Roan mumbled something in his sleep before shifting his head on his pillow.

 

"Good... good..." Sanders said with a smile. Kimberly didn't mention anything about his legs, but Sanders let that subject go. His survival and recovery were more important now. That and... and the other reason he came here...

 

"When... when he wakes up could... could you try to let me know? I think it would be better if-" was as far as he got before Kimberly raised a hand to stop him.

 

"I already was planning to, don't worry," Kimberly said with a sad, but understanding smile. Sanders nodded a thanks before casting his eyes to the locked door nearby. Kimberly's smile faded as she followed his eyes. She looked downward before sighing to herself.

 

"I'm afraid I can't let you into the room after what happened last time. You can talk to her through the door, but...well..." Kimberly said with a stern look. Sanders saw ghosts of the hostile, and unflinching, Kimberly back in Hope in that look and knew argueing was NOT going to be effective. He could talk through the door, or he could leave. It was frustrating, but after what Gabby tried to do last time he couldn't fault the doctor.

 

"I understand. I would prefer to speak to her alone in that case, though," Sanders said, giving his own unflinching look at Kimberly. Her eyes narrowed at him and the two stared the other down. But Kimberly broke first with an annoyed sigh.

 

"Fine, just don't make me regret this or you'll never walk through those doors again," Kimberly warned before turning to check on Roan. Sanders nodded in understanding before heading to the door. The slit for people to look in was already open and Sanders glanced in. The room looked almost immaculate, including the bed, and if Sanders didn't know better he would have thought it was unoccupied. However, sitting in a chair in the far corner, was the occupant of the room.

 

Gabby, dressed in a plain gown, sat on the chair staring into the corner. Her hair looked disheveled and unkempt, but she didn't look unwashed. It seemed Kimberly and the medical staff keep her clean, but didn't bother with keeping her prim. Probably for the best, the old Gabby would have hated being dolled up.

 

"Gabby? Gabby, it's me, Sanders," Sanders said as he peeked in through the slit. Gabby didn't seem to have heard, at first, but her head,slowly, shifted to look at him. Sanders felt his heart drop as her eyes seemed to stare right through him and only a barest hint of recognition seemed to appear in them.

 

"Hi, Sanders," Gabby said in a flat tone before turning away again. Sanders felt his heart drop even further at Gabby's lack of reaction. It was like she wasn't even there...

 

"I...You look better than... than before..." Sanders said, trying to find the words he wanted to say. The words that would help her snap out of the despair that nearly claimed him back when he learned the truth... despair she had helped keep at bay. But his mind was drawing a blank.

 

"The fight is going... going well. We could use your help, though. I cou-" Sanders tried, but stopped as Gabby turned back to face him. Her eyes were just as dead as before and she shook her head.

 

"No, you don't. I would just fail you when you needed me most. Just like Richardo, Isabella...Roan...." Gabby eyes started to moisten, but didn't turn to full tears as she turned away again.

 

"Gabby, you didn't fai-" Sanders stopped himself as he remembered what going down this road had led to before. He needed to try something else, some other way to go about this. Maybe...

 

"You're not the only one who has messed up, Gabby. I...I got someon-someoneS, killed trying to save them. I had... had to have Pyrrha eat Patrol 2 because of my own naivete… I even got a brave woman, Lindsey, killed as well... But that's why I can't stop fighting, can't stop trying to stop the Society. Because if I do, they died for nothing," Sanders said, his hand moving down to touch the whistle in his pocket. Gabby lowered her head and let out a long sigh.

 

"I'm sorry. But it's not the same. You messed up once. I've damned my closest friends over and over again..."

"And saved them over and over again! You fought right alongside Isabella despite knowing you would be punished, you challenged a catmonster to save us, you took on fucking AVIEL! Gabby... you're more of a hero than I will ever be!" Sanders said, letting a bit of annoyance enter his voice. Gabby turned to look at him again and he saw a bit of life in her eyes. Had...had he gotten through?

 

"I don't want to be a hero. I've never wanted to be one. I just want to protect people... and I failed those closest to me. So what's the point of protecting anyone?" Gabby said before turning away. Sanders annoyance turned to anger at her words. What was the point? WHAT WAS THE POINT?!

 

"Goddammit Gabby, listen to yourself! What's the point of protecting people?! The Gabby I knew would know the answer of that in her sleep!" Sanders said. Gabby's head lowered and her back started to heave. Sanders' anger snuffed out as he realized she was crying. Dammit... he'd let his anger take control and now...

 

"Gabby... I didn-" but it was already too late. Gabby collapsed to the ground, sobbing and Sanders could do nothing but tap his head on the door. Fucking idiot, idiot, idiot, idiot...

 

Deciding he had caused enough damage for one day, Sanders turned away from Gabby's room and made a beeline back to Pyrrha. At least he couldn't hurt her...

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Despite her pain, sorrow, and grief, Gabriella couldn't help but think back to that day. She had been just a little girl back then while Richardo was barely a toddler. Her mom had let her hold Richardo as they shopped and Gabriella had loved every moment of it. She was a helpful, big girl, helping mom shop while she played boop-boop(she would "boop" their noses together) with the giggling Richardo. Other people had praised her and said how cute they were, too.

 

Gabriella had got so caught up in the game that she had walked past the aisle her mom had headed down. They were out of Mom's sight for, maybe, a second or two...but that was all it took. A strange man grabbed her, and started toward the exit. Gabriella tried to scream, but the man covered her mouth. Richardo, too young to realize what was happening, just pondered his own tongue while the man rushed out of the store. They were almost to his van when he appeared.

 

It happened so fast Gabriella never pieced it all together. The abductor was attacked by another man. He managed to free Gabriella and she rushed away, Richardo still in her arms. Her protector, dressed in tattered, sewn together clothing, fought the abductor off before getting stabbed in the side. The abductor fled, but not very far. A store clerk had already called the police.

 

The homeless man, her savior, gave her a soft smile. Told her to get back to her mom. Gabriella looked at his wound, at the massive amount of blood, but he just chuckled. He would be fine, she needed to look after her brother, not him. He told her to run along, he would be fine. So she left, rushed back to her terrified mother inside the store. By the time they came back outside, the homeless man was gone. He never gave his name, never asked for a reward, just saved two children and faded back into obscurity. He hadn't even stayed to get treatment... A choice that proved fatal...

 

Gabriella hadn't understood why he had fled, why he vanished, until years later. He'd done it to spare her. He'd known he was dead, that the ambulance wouldn't reach him in time. So he'd walked away, off into a alleyway hidden from view... and died. Even his final act was to protect her and her brother. To protect them from the harsh reality of the world... that hero's don't always live forever… And that her mistakes might cost lives...

 

That man saved, and changed, Gabriella's life. Her focus became clear, she wanted to follow in his footsteps: to help people, to save anyone in danger, to be the protector of everyone whether she knew them or not. And to look after her brother just like her savior had asked. She'd failed at that in the store, and it had cost a man his life... but she wouldn't again. She became tough, she became strong, she became Gabby.

 

But she had failed... She had let her selfish desires and dreams get in the way... She had abandoned Richardo when he needed her most and now... She had failed Richardo, failed Isabella, failed Roan.... and now... she had failed Sanders as well....

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Derek had come to despise these constant meetings. Not because of the people, or the near bickering that inevitably resulted, not even the knowledge someone in the room was, likely, the traitor. No, he hated the powerlessness they all made him feel.

 

The reports from, now Captain, Samantha became more desperate every day. Pleas for orders, suggestions, more weapons, relief troops anything to help stop the slow attrition wearing her soldiers down had become a daily ritual. And, like everyday before, they had no answer for her. With the traitor in their very midst, any plans they made would be sent right to the Society. Moving troops from a sector would leave it open for reaper raids. Shunting new weapons would get the caravan raided. And pulling troops away from the line to rest would see it attacked... Their hands were tied.

 

To make matters worse, the Line wasn't the only area the "reapers" were attacking. Fairies made nightly flyovers and, sometimes, dropped paratrooping reapers into the city. Patrolling troops were in a constant cat and mouse war with those reapers that managed to slip in... and they were not always the cat.

 

The constant battles in the streets were taking a toil on the civilians and their reserves, which only made it that much harder to get Samantha the fresh troops she needed. Both Derek and Victor lead squads out to hunt down the cybernetic monsters, but they couldn't be everywhere at once. Morale was tanking right along with their troops readiness. And the bad news keep rolling in...

 

"We've managed to go over our supply stockpile thanks to this weather-forced ceasefire. We had put back more than enough food to keep the city feed through the winter, but with the Phoenixes and Pyrrha, mainly Pyrrha to be honest, eating through them we are looking at a shortfall in the next three months, at best," Captain Dixie reported as she made a few marks on her notepad.

 

"Well, we'd be lucky to hold the line that long, anyway," Commander Terence quibbed. A soft, and mostly forced, chuckle went through the room. The fact it was very... VERY true hindered the humor...

 

"I suppose we will have to start being more stern with the rationing," Captain Waring said with a frown. Almost everyone gave a sad nod, but Mayor Cortez, recently added to these meetings, seemed to pale at the suggestion.

 

"More stern? You can't be serious! The constant reaper attacks are bad enough, but cutting their food rations as well?! We'd be lucky not to have a riot on our hands!" Cortez said causing Derek to sigh inwardly. It was tempting to call the civilians fools and selfish pricks for such things. But that wasn't exactly fair to them.

 

Unlike the people here, they didn't have a full understanding of the picture. They didn't know just how perilous their situation was, they didn't know a traitor was sitting in on all their leaders' meetings, they didn't know that their food was running out horrifyingly fast. And the reason they didn't was because the people in this room had decided not to tell them. Getting angry at them for reacting to the incomplete picture they had, purposely, given them was unfair. And yet what choice did they have? Telling them to truth would only annihilate what little morale was left in the city. And if the Roman people gave up then so would its soldiers. The Society would win, and that was unacceptable.

 

"We can ignore the food issue for now. Terence is right, we won't last another three months either way," Darius said, pulling Derek from his thoughts. The dark mood in the room only deepened but Darius seemed to ignore it.

"What we need to focus on is what to do during this snowstorm. This is our only chance to make any moves without Society interference. We need to make use of that," he finished with his hands steepled before him.

 

Poole, who had been silent up to this point, leaned forward and managed to bring out his usual bright smile.

 

"Well I know one thing we can do. The upgrades to the platform, or battle station as some of my workers have started calling it, are almost done. Jimmy is working out a few last kinks, but it should be good to be deployed tomorrow," Kenny said, bringing a virtual ray of sunshine into the room. Everyone, even Darius, sat up a bit and seemed more hopeful at the news.

 

"Already? Jesus, Poole, how hard did you push those poor workers?" Freeman asked. Poole started to answer, but Freeman stopped him with a quick raised hand, which revealed the scar he had gotten during the Reaper raid.

"Actually, nevermind I don't think I want to know." A genuine bought of chuckles went through the room as the miasma of hopelessness was cast off.

 

"This works out perfectly. Pyrrha and Sanders are at the hospital, resting, right now. We can have them back on the line with our new weapon by tomorrow," Terence said as everyone nodded in agreement. Everyone save Cortez who looked lost in thought. A fact that Darius took note of.

 

"Mayor, do you have something on your mind?" Darius asked as the group turned to him. He glanced up and gave a slow nod.

 

"Yes I do... I might have a way to help with our flagging morale AND get our battle station in the field," Cortez said with a slight smirk. Derek couldn't be sure, but he was almost positive Darius had one as well...

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sanders had to take a nervous gulp as he found himself, once again, on a massive stage overlooking a cheering crowd. He doubted he would ever get used to this... unwarranted idolization. And yet he couldn't deny the obvious improvement to morale he's just standing there was causing. Really, that was the only reason he'd agreed to this.

 

The Mayor and his aide had approached him late last night with the idea of this celebration. A ceremony to launch the upgraded platform, or battle station as it seemed to be getting called now. Sanders was all for getting the new and improved platform into the fight, but making a big deal out of it seemed counter-intuitive. They knew there were spies among them so why not try to keep the fact they had it a secret? Then again, maybe the morale boost was worth the loss of surprise.

 

"My fellow Romans," Mayor Cortez yelled out. The cheering began to die away as he waved for silence and others shhed their neighbors. After a minute or so the, thankfully heated, courthouse began to quiet down. It was ironic all the damage the reapers had caused had helped allow them to fit nearly everyone inside. So many of the Roman-built rooms had been torn down that most of the courthouse's lobby was open flooring. Sanders only found it as another reason to hate the cyborgs...



"My fellow Romans, I have asked all of you here to witness the deployment of our latest and greatest weapon in the fight against the Society! With it, we will break this stalemate, force the Society back from our walls, and secure our borders against their murderous aggression!" Cortez yelled and a fresh wave of cheers came from the assembled people, all eager to see the new weapon. Sanders felt the same excitement as he had been shooed off to the courthouse before he got to see it himself.

 

"Citizens, I give you the battle station!" Cortez yelled before motioning toward the courthouse entrance. Everyone turned just in time to see Pyrrha come through the door, a big grin on her face. And for good reason as the "battle station" lived up to its name.

 

The simple, but effective, platform had been radically altered from its original form. Metal plates covered the entire platform, turning into a virtual tank. The huge air cannon still dominated the top of the platform, but had been redesigned and looked built to be a cannon, rather than jury-rigged into one. It swiveled as Pyrrha moved closer and Sanders gaped as it realized the crew area was covered as well. Along the sides of the station, Sanders made out the forms of Typhoons poking out of gun ports. Ports that could be closed if need be. Slabs of metal hung down over Pyrrha's thighs and biceps, providing extra protection for the areas without limiting her movement. On Pyrrha's wrists and ankles were strange bracelets that served some function while her claws had metal talons strapped over them. And at the top of Pyrrha's head was a crown of sorts. A smaller platform that had a number of pillars built around it. Pillars that Sanders was sure had hook ups for him to attach to. Sanders stared at the new and improved Pyrrha and couldn't help but smile. She had been deadly before... but now she was a virtual fortress.

 

Pyrrha continued forward, moving around the crowd and to the side of the stage Sanders and Cortez were standing on. She giggled a bit as she saw Sanders staring, but got a serious face as she turned to the crowd.

 

"Mecha Pyrrha is ready to serve!" she said before giving a reasonable salute. Her serious look held for a second before she went back to giggling. Laughter, followed quickly by cheers, came from the crowd as Sanders wondered who had put her up to that, Jimmy or Kenny... or both?

 

"Y-Yes... Yes, as you can see our new battle station will be able to answer any threat the Society can send against us! With Sanders at the helm, nothing will be able to stand in our way! The two will lead us into battle and carry us to victory!" Cortez said, regaining his composure rather quickly. Sanders, though, could only stare at the improved platform... and not sigh. It was powerful, to be sure... but not a game changer. It certainly made Pyrrha stronger, but still not strong enough to take on an army. Not strong enough to break this siege. But these people didn't need to know that so Sanders forced a smile onto his face.

 

Cortez let the cheers continue for a few seconds before waving for quiet. As the crowd, slowly, quieted down, Kenny walked up onto the stage pushing a cart with a large cloth draped over it. It kinda looked like there was a stat- oh God please no...

 

"But we can't expect our hero to go into battle wearing damaged and outdated armor. Mr. Poole, if you would," the mayor said causing Sanders to whirl on him. Go into battle in WHAT?!Sanders was about to bite the plump's man head off, but didn't get the chance as Kenny shoved the cart into Sanders. Sanders turned his anger on the large, black inventor, but his knowing, and disarming, smile tempered his rage. The crowd became hushed as Sanders took in a deep breath and pulled the cloth off.

 

He may have jerked the cloth with too much gusto, he WAS still simmering, as part of it ripped off rather than being pulled free. But the new armor was revealed either way and Sanders' rage extinguished as he got his first look. It looked much like the wingsuits Victor and his squad had worn during their recon outside the walls, but more refined. The wing parts were, currently, folded back to look more like an odd cloak, but that was, obviously, something that could be changed. Padding of some kind was positioned in key areas and gave it a very similar look to Sanders old SWAT armor. Underarm mounted grappling hooks were placed under each arm and hooked into two air canisters on either leg. But most importantly, at least to him, was the missing chest piece. Sanders had to fight not to let a heartfelt gasp come through from that small, but utterly wonderful, touch.

 

"This, is the prototype of the Hermes wingsuit, a more refined version of the old wingsuits. Unlike the old model, this one can deploy or undeploy the wings, allowing it to be worn even in tight confines," Poole said before pressing a button on the back shoulder of the suit. The "wings" leapt out rather quickly and made the suit look almost kite-like. He pressed it again and the wings, slowly, tucked themselves back in.

 

"The grappling hooks had been upgraded with stronger hooks and a larger canister. It does increase the weight, but..." Poole gave the crowd a smirk before pressing another button hidden under the elbow of the suit. A quick pop came from the suit and the hooks and their canisters fell away from the suit and clanged to the floor. Sanders had to smile at that little touch and the crowd gave a round of ooh's and claps.

 

"And, since we are fighting people our own size now, we've added some extra armor and padding to the suit to keep our soldiers, and our hero, a bit safer. Though I thought it best to let him supply the center of the armor for his own suit," Poole finished with a big grin. The crowd went back to cheering as Sanders gave Poole a heartfelt handshake. He mouthed a thank you and the big man clapped him on the shoulder before leaning in close.

 

"I'll have the chest piece installed by the time the party ends. Unless.."

"No, no, I want to keep this worn out piece. It's... special," Sanders said before slipping it off and handing it over. Poole nodded before sitting it down on the cart and pushing it, and the rest of the armor, away. Sanders didn't really like not having the last piece of Isabella he still had... but the time away would be worth it. Pyrrha's upgrades, alone, might not be enough to break the siege... But maybe, just maybe, a squad armed with this new armor AND Pyrrha....

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

With the showcase done, the feast and celebration got underway. Sanders had to wonder what, exactly, there was to celebrate, but it did give the people a very, VERY welcome distraction from the horrors lurking outside. Children were laughing and running around, making up games as they went. People sat together to drink, talk, and enjoy each other's company. And a few of the men made attempts to make the night more... pleasant with female company. Sanders, though, didn't get much of chance to enjoy any of that. If he wasn’t being bombarded with thanks, handshakes, and kisses, he was being shuttled around like an exhibit. Which made seeing Darius motion for him feel like an oasis appearing out of the desert.

 

Making his excuses, Sanders pulled his way away from the crowd and over the Darius. As per usual, the Phoenix Commander had found a spot well away from anyone. Derek moved to dissuade anyone from approaching as Darius offered him a cup of what looked to be wine. Sanders was about to wave it off, but Darius beat him to it.

 

"Toast and pretend to drink if you don't want to, and look happy," he ordered before lifting his glass toward Sanders. Sanders had no idea what was going on, but did as he was told. He clinked the glasses together and decided to just drink the wine. It was far from what he expected and he couldn't help, but make a face. He shook it off, quickly, though and turned back to a chuckling Darius.

 

"Well, no one is going to think that was faked, well done. Keep looking pleased and don't act surprised as I give you orders," Darius said, keeping a fake smile on his face. New orders? What the he- Sanders swore as his smile almost vanished, but Darius had noticed as well. He offered Sanders more wine and Sanders waved it off. He didn't have to fake that, which was good, and it gave a reason for Sanders smile to be fading. Sanders had never been the best poker player. Darius keep the drink ready to pour as his smile faded for half a second.

 

"Poole and Jimmy have Pyrrha and your armor ready. Excuse yourself from the party, head to his factory, and launch a surprise attack on the Society's camp."

End Notes:

Sweet Cherry tinies, this took forever to get out. I really didn't intend for it too, but RL has been kicking me up and down the block for a good while.

 

I wish I could say that ended, but that would be lie so no idea when the next chapter is gonna be. I will be working on it, but it will be sporadic at best.

 

I'll try to do better in keeping you guys updated, but again, I promise nothing.

This story archived at http://www.giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=5721