New World: Past Tense by MrSirk
Summary:

A look at how the character's from "Tales of the New World" elevated. 


Categories: Teenager (13-19), Young Adult 20-29, Couples , Gentle, Muscle, New World Order, BBW Characters: None
Growth: Titan (101 ft. to 500 ft.)
Shrink: None
Size Roles: FM/m
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 17787 Read: 28395 Published: June 16 2014 Updated: October 26 2014
Story Notes:

You might want to read the "Tales" series first but you don't have to.

1. Ramona Part 1: Self Conscious by MrSirk

2. Ramona Part 2: Changes by MrSirk

3. Ramona Part 3: Ordinary Day by MrSirk

4. Ramona Part 4: Growing Pains by MrSirk

5. Ramona Part 5: Break by MrSirk

Ramona Part 1: Self Conscious by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

I was working on stuff for "Tales" when this story hit me. I've been wanting to write it but it wouldn't fit in "Tales" So lucky you new series!

New World: Past Tense

Ramona Part 1: Self Conscious

                Ramona stood in front of her mirror in her underwear with her arms spread out to either side in a t-pose. She inspected her arms and grimaced at the slab of flesh that hung off them. She swung them around in circles and watched as they swung back and forth. She let the drop to her side smacking her hips with a hard slap. Her hands then went toward her stomach and the modest bulge that resided there. She pressed her fingers into the soft mass and slowly slid them up towards her chest. As she continued to critique herself she couldn’t fight the truth that stared at her. She was fat.

                “Why didn’t I go out for sports!” she thought as she continued to stare dissatisfied at her reflection. She remembered her mother trying desperately to get her into ballet, volleyball, basketball, ANYTHING, but nothing stuck. She just didn’t have the aptitude for it. She was short, uncoordinated, and didn’t like to sweat, basically the exact opposite of her sister in every way. She loved her sister Mary to death but couldn’t help but feel a little resentment towards her. She was tall and athletic and seemed to inherit all their parent’s good qualities. She had mom’s beauty and dad’s height and shiny dark crimson hair. She on the other hand gotten everything else, dad’s pale complexion with mom’s short stature and fiery hair that people seemed to find off putting. Still she couldn’t say she was ugly. Mom’s beauty was still there it was just hidden under a layer of chunkiness and even that had some plusses. She groped her breasts in the mirror and smiled that was one thing Mary didn’t get from mom.

                Ramona continued to probe and scrutinize her body while making silly faces and taunting herself before she spied a dark fabric hanging off the side of her mattress. She sighed to herself.

                “Might as well get this over with.”

                She reached for the fabric and unfurled what was to be her graduation gown. It was a long dark navy gown with gold trimming made of some rough synthetic fabric. She scrunched her nose and gritted her teeth knowing without knowing what the outcome would be. She slid her arms in and went to work buttoning up the gown. When she got to the ponch of her stomach she had to fight to snap the button be it did fasten. She finished the buttons encountering the same problem again before finally standing to retrieve her cap and observe her handiwork. She wasn’t very pleased. She narrowed her eyes in disgust at the bump of her gut and chest. It was clearly a size too small. She took a deep breath and the already strained buttons snapped loose once again. She opened the inside collar and glanced at the tag. It was a medium. She told her mother she’d needed a large! Unfortunately Ramona’s body type put her in a strange category where she was too small and too large at the same time. The medium was clearly too tight but the large would just be humorous. Like a child wearing their parents clothing. Her mom was insistent that a large was out of the question but how was this any better?! She rather trip on stage then have her gown burst open.

                She frowned at herself and how silly she looked. “I’m sure the boys would love a free show on graduation day.” She deadpanned to herself. She twirled and sashayed in an attempt to look as sexy as possible. Her mind travelled the Greg and her memories of their time together. They had recently crossed the line and taken their relationship to the next level. He was very shy and closed off and it was still a little awkward with him but she was sure they just needed time. Maybe she would keep this after all and give him a special graduation present. She dropped her panties and unhooked her bra leaving herself naked except for her cap and gown. She went to her bed and retrieved a white sash with gold trimming and lettering that read “Valedictorian class of 2009”. She strode back to the mirror and tilted her cap to the side and brushed some hair to cover one eye. She squeezed her boobs together and laughed sure she looked like a porn star on the cover of some cheesy DVD.  

                “Hard Lessons number 15 : Graduation Groupies. “ She said to herself. Suddenly her door burst open.

                “Mom say’s come down for-“ Mary paused at the sight of her half naked sister one hand on her breast the other between her legs  staring back at her with a face as red as her hair. They hung there for a moment as time seemed to freeze.  “B-Breakfast is ready.”

                “…..please leave.” Ramona managed under her breath. Mary slowly pulled the door and it closed with an audible click. Ramona collapsed onto the floor covering her face with her hands sure she would die of embarrassment.

 

                Ramona peered out the window as houses and trees past her vision. The car was draped in that uncomfortable stillness that had been with her all morning. After Mary’s little intrusion breakfast was noticeably silent, better yet mom had been phoned by the hospital and had to head to work early leaving Mary to drive her to school. She knew the discomfort would pass it was just up to one of them to change the subject.

                “Soooo..how’s work?” Ramona asked. It was pretty low hanging fruit but that’s all she could think to ask.

                “It’s okay.” Mary answered. “The kids are sweet if a little rowdy sometimes.”

                “Really?” Ramona murmured trying desperately to sound more interested than she actually was.

                “One of them actually started flying around in the middle of a lecture.”

                “WHAT!” Ramona’s eyes snapped open with newfound interest.

                “He’s one of those new people you see on the news.”

                “The giant ones, they can fly now?!”

                “No that’s the weird thing. He’s still the same size.” Mary elaborated.

                The car went into another moment of silence. “How is Emily doing?” Ramona dared. “With everything?”

                “She’s doing as well as you'd expect.” Mary informed. “Her parent's are enrolling her sister in that new school their building up in the heights. “

                “That’s pretty crazy.” Ramona said. “I can’t even imagine if you suddenly grew to the size of a building. What’s happening to the world?”

                Suddenly the car came to a stop. “We’re here.” Mary chimed as she parked just outside Kinsington Public High school.

                “Thanks.” Ramona said as she exited the car. “And about this morning.”

                “What happened this morning?” Mary asked. Ramona paused in confusion before her older sister winked at her. “You really like him don’t you?”

                “I don’t know who you’re talking about.” Ramona denied.

                “He’s really lucky.”

                “I’m going now!” Ramona blurted her face red.

                She left her sister to walk up the steps and join the mass of other students entering the school. She looked up and could see the banner stretched across the building. “Congratulations Class of 2009”

                “Only three more weeks.” She thought with a smile.

 

End Notes:

Don't worry I going back to "Tales" right after this Ramona arc which is about 3 maybe 4 chapters long.You can also expect to learn about other people's elevation. Popular characters like the Walter's Family and Liana or not so popular characters like Barbara or Rene or even Wally. Hope you liked the first chapter. 

Ramona Part 2: Changes by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

I went a bit off the deep in with the bio preview. Hopefully this makes up for it. 

 

New World: Past Tense

 

Ramona Part 2 : Changes

 

Ramona shuffled to her locker fighting the flow of students that flooded out of their first period classes. The hallways were abuzz with conversations about who was dating who or what plans they had for summer break. Even some rumors about students who were missing and the possibility of the school shutting down. She reached her locker and quickly put in her three digit combination. She reached in for her Social Studies  textbook and felt a hand on her shoulder. It ran down her spine sending shivers through her body till it reached the small of her back. She smiled before she was turned and her lips were captured in a tender if brief kiss.

“Morning.” Greg greeted with a blush.

“You’re getting bolder.” Ramona teased.

“Am I?” Greg asked suddenly self conscious. “I didn’t mean to off-”

“Quiet.” Ramona instructed silencing him with another kiss. “I was only teasing.” She looked up at her boyfriend. He was so shy and cute, still adjusting to being more than friends. He was tall and handsome yet didn’t even realize it. Too many years spent hiding with her in the library had given him a complex. He hid his looks behind shaggy hair and a rough beard. She would change all that, but not till after they graduate.

“Guess what?” he asked with a grin.

Ramona paused and turned her head expectantly.

“I got the job!” he shouted. She jumped into his arms and for a moment he held her of the ground.

“Babe that’s great!” Ramona shouted. “What position?”

“I just a part timer and it doesn’t pay too well yet, but there’s training and I get benefits! Just think of it soon we might be able to even get our own place.”

“That’s amazing news I’m so proud of you.” Ramona beamed giving him another light peck. The bell rang signaling the second class and the two reluctantly gasped.

“I’ve got math.” Greg informed.

“Life and Society.” Ramona said waving her book. The two embraced one last time before parting in opposite directions.

 

The door opened with a gust as Walter burst into the living room. He did a quick scan and rushed about picking up any loose bill he could find. A quick count revealed a meager seven dollars and fifty-three cents, not nearly enough to get by another month. He had to think. It was 9:42 which meant mom was probably at work. Dad was overseas doing whatever the fuck it was professors did, and Ramona was at school. That meant the only one at home with any money was Mary. He smiled. In an instant he was upstairs looking in the startled eyes of his beloved little sister.

 

English class dragged on. It was the end of the year and both the teacher and students knew they were just going through the motions. There were no more tests to take, no more book reports, no more presentations. As she sat at her desk in a state of perpetual writer’s block Ramona wondered why she even bothered to bring her text book. Suddenly the teacher cleared his throat.

“Okay I think we can all agree that we’re pretty much done here.” He spoke. “So I’ll just turn on the t.v and we can watch the news for the next forty minutes and you can write a short paper on it due by...let’s say next week. The class just nodded in agreement. He grabbed the remote from his desk and soon most of the class was focused on the Channel 3 mid morning broadcast.

 

“What are you doing here?” Mary asked with a crack in her voice.

“Just thought I’d drop by.” Walter yawned. “Maybe see what I can scrounge up.” He trailed off as his eyes travelled instinctively towards Mary’s purse.

“You want money.” she said flatly.

“If you don’t mind.” he smiled.

The air was still as they both stared at each other. They both knew this was a courtesy. Walter would take the money regardless of what she said. Mary reached into her purse and retrieved her wallet. She fished out three  one-hundred dollar bills and threw them on her desk.

“Take it and leave.” she spat.

“Why such hostility.” He leaned against the frame of the door. “I live here too.”

“Please!” Mary shot. “You don’t want to be here either. You only come around when you need money. Or food. Or when you just want to terrorize people!”

“That hurts.” He bent over resting his arms on the desk she was at. “Maybe I just miss you guys.” He grabbed the bills and gave them a quick count. “Is this all you have?”

“Sorry. I don’t get paid till Friday.”

“Hrmm maybe I’ll stick around a bit then. Haven’t seen Ramona in a while. She’s graduating soon isn’t she?”

Mary froze at the thought. Ramona wasn’t around Walter much. She didn’t know what had happened to him, what he had become.

“No, Wally!” she fought. “I don’t want her caught up in your shit. Whatever this little power trip you’re having is has nothing to do with her!”

“You’re not mom, you can’t tell me what to do.” he informed with a smug glance. “Not that she can do anyth-” He was cut off as the ground shook in a powerful earthquake. It stopped as soon as it started before starting again. Then the entire house went dark as if clouds had blocked out the light of the sun.

“What the fuck?” Walter exclaimed.

Mary went toward her bedroom window and looked out to see the entire backyard covered in shadow. Then the earth shook again. She could see her next door nieghbors staring up at something from their backyard pool. She turned to Walter and gave him a look.

“Eclipse?” he guessed. The earth shook again and a loud boom erupted from outside shaking the house and rattling the windows. “I’ll go check it out.”

In a flash he was downstairs and out the door then he came to an abrupt halt as he discovered the origin of the sudden tremors.

“Fuck.” he cursed as he cracked a nervous smile and broke in a cold sweat.

“Hey son.” a  booming voice came from above. “It’s been a while.”

 

Ramona doodled absentmindedly in her notebook as the new report continued. It was an in depth piece on the current state of the nation in wake of the new global phenomenon. It was the hot topic and was being covered almost twenty four seven for the past year. The funny thing is that nobody knew what to call it. The anchorwomen cut to a street correspondent interviewing a man with a bushy moustache and a trucker hat.

“I think it’s all hogwash.” The man said with a country accent. “Giants, super powered freaks, it’s all a scheme cooked up by the government to keep us scared.”

The correspondent went to another person when a read banner crossed the screen and it cut back to the anchor women.

“Breaking News! An accident has been reported at Cherished Heart General Hospital. We’ve got Floyd Brandon live on the scene.”

The t.v. cut to a rather young reporter who was shaking with visible stage fright. “Thanks Jan. We’re live at Cherished with what many are speculating as a large explosion blowing out the left side of the building.”

Ramona’s eyes snapped to alertness at the name “Cherished” that’s where her mom worked.

“The police are on the scene.” Floyd continued. “There is yet to be any casualties reported but we’re still waiting for further details. Back to you Jan.”

“Thank you Floyd. Please keep us updated. Now onto this weeks forecast.”

Ramona felt a twinge of anticipation at news. She hoped her mother was okay. Then a static was heard through the room as the intercom sparked to life.

“Ramona Sanders, please report to the principal’s office. I repeat Ramona Sanders, please report to the principal’s office.”

Ramona gulped as her mind prepared for the worst.

 

When she reached the principal’s office Ramona was somewhat surprised to see her sister waiting for her with Walter!? She hadn’t seen him in month’s. In her head it only confirmed her fears.

“I just saw the news is everything okay?” She went toward her brother and gave him a hug. “Is mom okay?”

“That depends on your definition.” Walter remarked snidely. He looked pale and seemed on edge like he’d just gotten a death sentence.

Ramona turned to Mary. “What’s happening she’s not hurt is she?”

“No she’s not hurt.” Mary informed.

“But the explosion?”

“it wasn’t an explosion it was-”

“Why spoil it for her.” Walter intercepted. “I’m sure she’ll get a real kick out of it.”

Suddenly Mary’s phone rang. “Emily! Thank god you called back!” she said.

“What’s happening?” Ramona shrieked.

 

The car ride was an awkward one. Mary was deep into conversation on the phone with Emily. Words like ‘facility’ and ‘damages” were being tossed around. Even stranger Walter had decided not to join them insisting he could get home faster on his own, which was strange considering as for a Ramona could figure he didn’t have a car. She was growing more worried by the second. Why all the secrecy? Why did Walter seem so shaken? What was he doing home in the first place? She glanced out the window watching the houses and trees pass by when she spotted something out the corner of her eye. For a brief moment she thought she spied Walter running on the street right next to the car.

“That’s not possible.” She thought. Her eyes must be playing tricks on her. The stress must be getting to her.

“Mary please what’s going on?” she tried.

“Hold on a sec.” Mary paused her phone conversation.

“Things are….changing.” Mary said. “You’re better off asking mom at this point. Don’t worry we’re almost there.”

 

As they pulled into the neighborhood Ramona was taken off guard by the surprising amount of cop cars on the block. Then it seemed to get dark for no reason. The car stopped and the door opened and Walter was on the otherside!

“You sure took your time Mar.”  Mary ignored him continuing her talk with Emily.

“How did you get her so fast?” Ramona asked.

“I ran.” he stated evenly.

Ramona giggled. “I’m serious.”

“If you think that’s funny just look up.” 

“What?” Ramona wasn’t sure why but she felt a tinge of fear. What was going on? Why was it so dark? She felt a hand on her shoulder. It was Mary. She gave her a warm smile and pointed her thumb up and backwards. Ramona followed the thumb to the origin of the shadow  and what she saw nearly made her jaw fall off. Above her was the face of Gloria Sanders mother of three and nurse at Cherished Heart. She was draped in a large grey tarp that on her look like a parka. She was also over one-hundred feet tall.

“Hello honey. How was school” Her mom greeted.

 

They had dinner outside that night. With her mom being a giant it sort of made options limited.

“How does it feel.” Ramona asked as she sat with her siblings cradled in her mother’s open palms.

“Everything just seems so small and fragile. I’m kind of a klutz so I’m worried I might break something.”

:”Does dad know?”

“He was the first one I called.” Her mom smiled. “He’s catching the next flight here although I don’t think he believes me.”

“What’s going to happen to us? What happens to you? Where will you live?”

“Honey, don’t worry about me. My main concern has always and will always be you kids. Even you Walter.”

Walter sneered and spat off the edge of her hand. “Whatever.” he replied coldly. “I’m gone.” In a flash he was off her hand and speeding down the street.

“Wild.” Ramona remarked.

“He’ll come around.” her mom smiled.

Ramona looked up at her mom. She somehow seemed more content. The Gloria Ramona knew was a ball of nerves. Often working long hours at the hospital and juggling the needs of the family. Now she seemed strangely at ease, like she had discovered the mysteries of the universe.

“Don’t worry too much.” Mary comforted. Mom’s not the first this has happened to. Remember Em’s sister?”

Ramona nodded.

“There’s temporary housing for what the government’s calling class 2 elevated beings.”

“Elevated. Is that what Walter is?”

“If he is they don’t have a name yet.”

“What did it feel like? When it happened?” Ramona asked. Both her daughters looked up expectant.

“I’d been feeling strange for a few days now. Hot like I was having a fever. I thought I was going through menopause. Then at the hospital I had such a high fever I passed out. My skin felt like it was on fire. Then I woke up like this.”

“Nobody was hurt were they.” Mary asked.

“No.” Gloria reassured. “I was in the new wing there were about to open it was pretty much empty.”

“This is crazy.” Ramona revealed.

“It has been an exciting day.” Gloria agreed.

“Are you gonna sleep here tonight?”

“No I’ll be sleeping at  the facility.I actually have to leave pretty soon.” She hugged her two daughters to her cheek before returning them to the ground.

“Ms. Sanders.” Came a gruff voice. Both girls turned to see a giant of a man walking towards them. He wore a military uniform and was nearly fifteen feet tall. “We’ve got to go before you lose your spot at the facility.”

“Yes of course.” Gloria nodded.

“I’m gonna miss you mom!” Ramona shouted hugging an oversized toe.

“It’s okay Ramona I’ll be back tomorrow.” She then stood up at her full height and for a moment Ramona could see how massive she’d becoming. Even that monster of a man barely reached below her knee. She gave her daughters one last smile before trudging down the road with a procession of cop cars behind her.

“Wild.” Ramona repeated.



 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Ramona and Greg really seem to like each other don't they? I wonder how long that will last? 

Ramona Part 3: Ordinary Day by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

Submitted for your approval. 

 

New World: Past Tense

 

Ramona Part 3: Ordinary Day

 

Ramona woke with a headache. The alarm buzzed in unison with the rhythmic pounding against her skull. She raised her arm to stop the persistent noise only to find her limb heavy and unresponsive. With a determined grunt and marked persistence. she  cut off the painful sounds. She  forced herself upward  and leaned against her bedframe. She was surprised to find her body covered in sweat. Her top clung tightly to her skin and overall she felt different, uncomfortable, constricted.

“I must be coming down with something.” she thought. She twisted herself off the bed and reluctantly rose to her feet. Everything felt strange and disorienting like somehow her entire perspective had shifted. Her body was like a sauna and she overall felt five degrees too hot. She shuffled toward the bathroom and turned on the lights. The bright fluorescents  stung at her fresh eyes and she needed time for them to adjust. She blindly groped the air until her hands found the sink. She turned the knob and let the cold water wet her hands. She splashed her face and the chill seemed to soothe her and cool her body. She slowly opened her eyes to greet her reflection and what she saw completely shocked her.

She had a pimple.

“Great.” she groaned. She pressed a finger against it and winced at the dull pain.

She’d have to take care of it after her shower. She went to the tub and twisted the handle. Immediately a hot stream of water rushed from the faucet. Normally she was an adamant supporter of hot showers but she still felt like she was inside an oven. She turned the lever and the water went from hot, to warm, to cold. She shedded her clothes, took a deep breath, and stepped in.

THe cold shower did the trick. As the water cascaded down her body in crystal clear beads she let out a sigh of relief. She swore she  felt steam lifting of her body. With newfound comfort Ramona allowed her mind to drift. Yesterday’s events played back fresh in her mind. Her mom was a giant….an actual real life giant! She’d seen them on t.v. . Hell she even knew one! Emily’s younger sister Megan. They had been friends in elementary school. She had managed to separated herself from it. It had seemed too incredible.  Yet now, when it was thrust in front of her face it was too hard to ignore. For better or worse it was now a part of her life. Then there was Walter. He was so fast! How long had he been like that? It had to be a trick , right? It was clear things were changing and it terrified and excited her.

“My mom’s a giant!” she giggled.

 

After her shower Ramona went back to the mirror with a long towel wrapped around her midsection. She scanned her countertop and the numerous creams  and toiletries that made their home there until her eyes locked on a tube of Pro-Active. She grabbed it and squeezed a dollop on her index finger. She gingerly applied it to the unwelcome protrusion and let it sit. While the Pro-Active went to work Ramona busied herself with the rest of her morning routine. Brushing her teeth, combing her hair, soon she was fully dressed and ready to start her day. She returned to the mirror one last time to see if the Pro-Active had done its job. She wiped off her face and grimaced. The pimple was still there standing proud. THere was only one way to fix this.

Ramona went to her dresser fishing through her underwear, bras, and other unmentionables till she came upon a series of wool beanies of different color and design.After a moment of deliberation she settled on a dark purple almost black one with a poison mushroom patch on ironed on it. She put it on delighted that it covered the persistent pimple She analysed herself. The beanie didn’t quite match her blue and white striped t-shirt. She smiled. She had the perfect top to compliment the cap. She weint to her closet and retrieved a black top with an image of 2D Mario jumping up block stairs to the flagpole. She switched tops and checked the mirror one last time. She grinned. She was officially repping the gamer girls today.

 

Ramona headed downstairs and was surprised to discover the house was empty. She checked the downstairs rooms and to see that Mary was nowhere to be found. This wasn’t uncommon, her older sister moved out over a year ago.. It was about the time Walter stopped disappearing for days at a time and upgraded to weeks, even months. It was usually just her and her parents which was fine most days except today. Both were gone. Dad was stuck in a plane a mile above the earth and mom was bunking at the “facility”. This left her with few options for getting to school. Maybe she would skip. She was a senior. There was also Greg. He had a car, but his “crapwagon” as she called it was unreliable so he mostly used the bus.

Ramona sighed and headed toward the kitchen. She checked the clock. It was 7:14. The school was a little over a mile away, she could walk if she really opened the freezer and grabbed two blueberry Eggo waffles and popped them in the toaster. She would have breakfast to go this morning.

The waffles sprung from the toaster and as she went to grab them the house shook. . She froze. It couldn’t be, Could it? The house shook again and a tiny ripple of anticipation slithered up her spine. Another shake more  intense this time caused the dishes to rattle in their cabinets.

“Mom?” Ramona whispered. The shaking stopped and for an instant she wasn’t sure if she hadn’t imagined the quakes. Then there was as heavy thump on the roof and the house creaked.

“Ramona, honey!” came a sing songy voice. “Are you awake?’

“Mom!” Ramona squealed. She rushed to grab her bag and waffles and sped out the door.

She looked up and shivered. Her mom was bent down on her knees peering through her bedroom window. She was wearing a large red jumpsuit and basic white sneakers with a blue T on the toe.

“It’s time to wake up sweetie. Are you in the shower?” her mom continued.

It dawned on Ramona that she hadn’t notice her run out the door. She approached her knee and briefly flashed back to when she was a kid and she would cling to her mom’s legs while she cooked. She was so small back then. She placed a hand on her knee and felt her muscle, her breath.

“Mom, I’m down here.’ she said.

For a moment nothing happened and she thought her mom hadn’t heard her. Then the muscle contracted and she felt herself being pushed back. The light disappeared as her mom turned to find her .

“You ready for school?” she asked like she did every morning as if nothing had changed.

 

It was a different world up so high. People , cars, buildings all looked so tiny. Ramona considered her neighborhood as a nice one. so even though her family didn’t live in one most homes were three story manors. Even they didn’t reach much past her mother’s waist. She held her position hands locked on her mom’s  middle and index finger. The digits towered over her by a good two feet and every now and then they would close securing her when her mom felt she was too close to the edge.

“Careful.” she warned. Ramona turned to regard her. She  looked different and not just because her face was the size of a movie screen. She looked younger, prettier, How? Her mom glanced at her and smiled.

“What’s the facility like.” Ramona asked

“It’s just a warehouse. Mostly empty except for a few class 2’s.”

“Like Megan?”

“Yes!” her mom laughed. “You should come visit her. I think she still remembers you.”

` “Maybe.” Ramona turned her head. She hadn’t seen Megan in years. True they used to go to the same high school but they were in completely different circle. Megan was a jock she was a nerd. “Are you comfortable there?”

“It’s okay. They give us cots, and clothes, and even recommend different housing options.”

“Really?”

“They’ve been developing new neighborhoods for a few years now. THey even have a school!”

Ramona paused in contemplation.

“I still have to talk to your father but it will probably happen within the year. I just don’t know what kind of home we’ll need. I want a big house but with you graduating i won’t have anymore kids to shelter.  

“You just assume I’ll move out?”

“I’m not as oblivious as you think. I’ve known about Greg for months.” She  gave a toothed grin and Ramona blushed.

“We have...ideas.” she admitted.

“I’m happy for you. He’s a nice boy?” She moved her other hand and brushed her head with a massive digit. “Plus you probably won't want to be around when I get my hands on your father.” she winked.

“Gross!” Ramona gagged.

 

Being dropped off by her mom garnered more attention than Ramona expected. Because of her size she wasn’t allowed close to the campus, but even from down the street a crowd gathered around her ankles. Phones were out, pictures were snapped, and video was recorded. When her mother placed her on the ground she was swarmed.Questions came in from left and right in such a high frequency that it quickly devolved into incoherent babble. She tried to work her way through but the crowd was too intense and she was knocked to ground. Then the crowd stopped. Gloria had lowered to a crouch her face hanging over the crowd staring at Ramona.

“Are you okay?!” she asked with urgency.

Ramona nodded and was quickly lifted to her feet by a giant finger propped against her back. Two large lips pressed against her right side and there was an intense suction as she was brought into her mother’s plush smooth lips. She heard a loud MWAH! before being released.

“Have a nice day!” she said with a cheer before her face turned stern “And you kids giver her her space!”” she ordered . The crowd nodded in unison.

 

As her  mom vanished into the horizon the crowd dissipated until only one tall, lanky man with wild hair remained. She ran then jumped into his arms catching him off guard. She kissed  him on the cheek and rubbed his rough three day scruff.

“Wow!” Greg said.

“I know, it’s crazy right.!?”

“Crazy how hot you are.” he cheesed.

“Shut up!” Ramona blushed punching him in the chest. “ I look awful today.” she pulled back her cap to reveal her pimple.

“You’re like a unicorn.” Greg commented . He then bent down and kissed her between the eyebrows right on her pimple.

“You’re a dork.” Ramona laughed.

Greg continued to carry her to the front of the school and right past the front entrance. By the time the warning bell rang they were in the parking lot.

“Greg, class starts in five minutes!”

“We’re not going to class.” he revealed. “Seniors are skipping today. We’re going to a party!”

“Greg, I don’t know if you’ve realized this but we’re kind of nerds. We don’t socialize.”

“We’ve got to learn sometime!”

 

The party wasn’t what Ramona expected not that she knew what to expect. For one it was at the beach which was on the other side of town. It took over a half hour in the crapwagon just to get there. When they finally arrived it was mindblowing. There were hundreds of students: far more than those who attended Kinsington. ….and elevated!

A class 2 girl danced in the mass. She was a smaller one , under a hundred feet but she still towered over the other teens. Different sized students mingled, and danced, and drank , and made out. There was a stage and a band , and someone brought large widescreen t.v.’s. and were playing Street Fighter IV.

“I know where I’m going!” Greg stated.

Then a girl landed in front of them.  She had bright red hair that even managed to out bright Ramona’s with what looked like feathers mixed in. She was even height with Greg, but even more surprising were her wings. Red beauties that spread far out to either side of her.

She greeted them. “Hi I’m Robin, and welcome to the first annual Graduation Jam!” She placed a floral necklace around both of them before taking off to greet more arrivals.

“I’m surprised how elaborate this is.” Ramona said to no one. Greg had already taken off and was waiting at the tail end of a long line for Street Fighter. She huffed and followed suit.

“You aren’t actually going to spend at least an hour waiting in line to play a game you already own?” Even as she said the words she could taste the hypocrisy. She had waited over twelve hours to be the first to get a PS3.

“I’m not in line to play, I’m in line to sign up there’s going to be a tournament!”

“You’re the last in line!”

“The prize is two DS’s” he grinned.

“We own DS’s” she produced and aging  silver monster with a broken hinge and a copy of Animal Crossing Wild World  wedged in the holder. “

“Not just DS’s but DS Lites!”

Ramona’s face turned serious. “Win them.” she ordered.

 

The party was energetic as teens got drunk and partied. Greg was fixed like a barnacle to the Street Fighter event and was actually making progress leaving Ramona to her own devices. She wasn’t an experienced party girl and was subsequently spending the day perched at the bar nursing a fruit drink she was sure had alcohol in it.

She was watching the matches from the bar on the giant t.v. when she was surrounded on both sides. Two girls sat on each side of her both of amazonian proportion.

“Hey.” One girl said . She had dark skin and long hair tied in a braid. She looked fourteen.

“I like your hat.” Said the other. She was athletic like she played volleyball and had blonde hair in a pixie cut.

“Umm..thanks.” Ramona replied with a nervous smile. “Can I help you?”

“One of our friends wanted to talk to you.”

“I don’t think I really know anyone here.”

“You know her.” said the younger one.

At once each girl lifted Ramona up by her arms and she was abducted with an audible “EEP!”

 

One hundred yards made a difference. Just a hundred yards away separated by little more than a steep slope of sand and a ridge of rocks was an entirely different party. It was more akin to a sporting event. A volleyball court was set up and more amazon girls were competing in a doubles match. She was carried right past it toward a young class 2 girl sitting legs out against the side of a cliff face. Her legs surrounded them . Ramona looked up and recognized the face. Young features, blue eyes, auburn hair tied  up., face full of freckles.

“Megan!?”

The giantess’ hand extended and Ramona was off the ground and against her cheek.

“Ramona!” she beamed. “ It’s been awhile.”

“Only three years.” Ramona dismissed. It had been awhile. She remembered when Megan would follow her around on the playground asking to play with the big kids. Then Ramona went to high school and by the time Megan got there they were two entirely different people.

“What are you doing here?” Ramona asked. “I thought this was a party for seniors. “Freshmen.””

“It’s a party for elevated. The seniors just sort of adopted it into their party. “

“Sorry.”

“I don’t mind. You guys brought booze!”

 

It was the final round in the final match of a best of  three and Greg had made it. He was worried. The opponent was a twelve foot elevated machine named Aiden. Worse he was a Bison player. He’d dismantled the other players with multiple perfects and ultra finishes. He nightmare boosted to the top spot in an exercise of dominance, while Greg barely scraped by with his high offense Cammy.

Aiden took the first match and Greg barely snatched the second thanks to a dropped combo punish. Now it was tense. THey both had a round and each were down to half health. Greg was applying pressure with EX Cannon Spikes but he got punished by a grab into a mix up demon stomp. Aiden went for a Psycho Crusher to chip Greg to death but he backstepped and the move whiffed giving Greg the perfect opportunity for a bread and butter. Low kick, low kick focus cancel to crumple state. He activated Gyro Drive Smasher. It connected full animation!’ Greg jumped in the air!
Ramona rushed toward him from nowhere. Her shirt was tied in a knot at the waist showing off midriff something he knew she was self-conscious about. She looked different. Thinner maybe? Her pants were hiked up and her balance was off. She tripped and fell into him.

“Are you okay?” Greg asked.

“I’m happy! New DS Lites!” she cheered. “I’m also pretty wasted.”

“I can see that!”

“You won’t believe who I met here.” She started.

“Bullshit!” came a booming voice. It was AIden his face was plastered with rage. “You blocked for half the fucking match!”

“Ummm...yeah.” Greg agreed.

“Rematch!” Aiden demanded.

“No thanks.” Greg rejected.

“REMATCH!” he repeated standing at full height. He dwarfed the both of them.

“Easy, bud.” Greg said calmly. He moved Ramona behind him to face Aiden himself. “It’s not like it was for money or anything.”

“No way a fucking “Normal” beats me. Rematch me or you forfeit the DS Lites for being a bitch.”

“No way man!” Greg argued. “You lost. Get over it!”

“Just let him have them!” Ramona insisted.

“No!” Greg insisted. “We shouldn’t have to sacrifice just because this guy thinks he’s superior.”
“I am superior.” Aiden stated evenly. Then he went into action grabbing Greg by the arm and wrenching his DS from his hands. Then he was casually tossed ten feet into the sand Ramona rushed to his side dropping her own new DS.

“Greg!” she helped him up as he  spit sand out of his mouth. They turned to see a group of onlookers and Aiden lording the devices.

“We should go.” Greg relented. “I’m covered in sand, you’re drunk. I’ll just buy us new DS Lites with my first paycheck.”

“NO!” Ramona snapped with shocking anger. “He can’t get away with doing this to you!” She took off toward Aiden.

“Hey asshole!”  she shouted.

She stormed up to Aiden but Greg was on her grabbing her by the arms.

“Don’t mind her she’s drunk.” He defended.

“Let me go!” Ramona shrieked. She pushed at Greg and he went to the ground with a shocked expression.

:”Little lady has some spirit!” Aiden chuckled. “You got something for me?”

“Yeah! You’re an asshole!” she slurred and stumbled into him. “If you weren’t the size of a monster truck I’d kick your ass!”

“Don’t let that stop you!” Aiden smirked and lowered his face. “Take your best shot.”

Ramona wasn’t sure why she did it. Maybe it was the ooze, maybe it was all the eyes on her, maybe it was Aiden’s shit eating grin or the fact her body suddenly felt like a furnace. She reared back and struck Aiden open palm with everything she had!

 

Aiden didn’t expect to feel anything. This little girl looked like she was outweighed by a bag of flour. She’d have her his , probably hurt her hand in the process, then realize like her boyfriend that she was nothing to him.

 

At first he didn’t realize it. It didn’t register to him till he was head first in the surf. The slap hit him with the destructive force of a freight train sending him skidding through the sand a sizable trench marking his trajectory.

 

Ramona instantly sobered. The slap caused a  shockwave that blew her hat off and a strange rush through her body that seemed to counter the effects of the alcohol. Her eyes went wide and her mind expanded. She couldn’t focus through the cheers of the teens around her.

“You slapped the shit out of him!” came a voice from above. It was Megan!? When did she get here?”

She turned to Greg still on his ass, staring at her in awe.

“Sorry babe! Are you alright?” She went to help him up and was slightly surprised to see him at eye level. No, he was a little shorter.

He touched her forehead. “Your pimple is gone.”

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

I tried something different with this one and actually hand wrote it before typing it up. That might explain its length. I almost ended this at the party arrival and split it up but I thought it was all necessary. 

Please comment and review. 

Ramona Part 4: Growing Pains by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

Sorry for the wait but you know the saying. "Life finds a way."-John Hammond. 

 

New World: Past Tense

 

Ramona Part 4: Growing Pains

 

“Softer.” Greg thought. He pushed against Ramona’s lips with his own in a fervor of hormone fueled teen lust. Her lips had somehow gotten softer! His hand went down to explore the curve of her legs. “Not just her lips!”

He felt up every delicious sine of her body he could till his groping hands found purchase on her posterior. He squeezed earning a pleased squeal. Suddenly she flexed and what was once a soft expanse became a temple of rigid power. Her hands were upon his and his arms were painfully jerked above hes head. The hhiss broke and he was greeted with Ramona’s cheshire grin. It was a familiar smile with unfamiliar implications. She seemed aggressive, frisky, dangerous.

“Someone’s being a naughty boy.” she purred. He was pressed against the pink of her bedroom wall. “ I like naughty boys!” She pushed her lips into his once more.

She was never like this. THey were still a bit new to the give and take of a physical relationship. Their previous attempts were shy , awkward, and Greg was always the aggressor. Now she was controlling the pace and he was struggling to keep up and hold his own. She leaned in closer devouring his mouth. She kept a tight grip on his wrists transferring one down to his side. She groped his thigh and ran her other hand across his chest.

Greg used this opportunity to try and regain some of the power. He found her waist with his newly free hand and traced the length of her spine, his touch sending her a chill.

He grazed just under her ribs. Emboldened he pressed forward ready to palm something infinitely more fun when it was stopped. She had snatched his hand once again in her iron fingers. The kiss broke again and they were both breathing heavy. Still holding his hands Ramona raised them to his face and wagged her index finger at him . “Naughty boys don’t get treats...yet.”

“Oh really?!” Gred rebuked with a nervous smile. He pressed his hand forward still locked in her fingers and was surprised when it didn’t move. He pushed harder with a grunt and still no give. He moved his head up and locked eyes with her. She gave hi a raised eyebrow and his smiled cracked slightly. He took a deep breath and pushed with everything he had. They never broke their gaze and as his hand shook with extended effort he could see the glimmer in her eyes. Suddenly her hand withdrew and his face lit up. Progress! Her hand went further and further back until it pressed into the softness of her chest. His smile grew and so did hers . A calm warm smile that reassured him. Then she winked.

“I love you.” she whispered. Her hand pushed forward. “You don’t need to worry babe.” Her hand continued to push no sign of effort on her face even as his smile crumbled. “ I will never hurt you.” His hand was instantly slammed back against the wall. She pressed her lips into his and rubbed her crotch against his. In the next instant he was swept away.

 

Ramona stretched her arms upward in a yawn.She could feel the strength in them and the promise of power far beyond their appearance. She’d never felt so...amazing was the only word to describe it. She turned over to observe Greg. He was out cold, completely spent and covered in a thin sheen of sweat. She chuckled to herself. She had been holding back.

“You’ve no idea what you’re in for. “ she whispered. His reply was an light snort as he rolled over and continued his snoring. She stepped out of bed and strutted toward her mirror. She was surprised by her speed. It wasn’t just her longer legs, she felt abnormally light on her feet. She felt like she weighed nothing at all.

She spread her arms like she’d done often before and every morning for the past three days. That person she became at the beach, the person she saw in the mirror. It was what she always imagined . The fat hanging off her arms had melted away. Replaced with swelled mounds. Her stomach flab was now a taut, lean, abdomen with..abs?! She couldn’t remember the last time she’d done a sit up and now she had abs. She could hardly contain herself. She looked like a supermodel, she looked like a cheerleader, she looked like….Mary.  She could feel her eyes moisten. That one snuck up on her. How long had she been holding onto that?! Of course she looked like Mary they were sisters. The only difference being while Mary had worked for her body she’d only looked this way because she was lucky. The winner of some universal lottery. It was unfair and she knew it.

She took a deep breath. There was plenty to adjust to with her transformation, sudden epiphanies were high on the list. She put her hand on her hips and leaned forward on her tiptoes. The top of her head was cut off by her five and a half foot mirror. She was taller than Mary , taller than Greg too. It made her feel petty but she knew she’d enjoy the height advantage. She pushed up on her toes even more and her head disappeared then her neck and shoulders. She kicked her feet and caught air. She was off the ground. She was flying!

Ramona spun forward in a clumsy midair somersault. She nearly collided with the mirror and had to put her hand out to brace. She was weightless and had no way to control her trajectory. She pushed off and floated backwards over her bed.

“Is this what astronauts feel like?” She thought .  

She pushed her hands out in front to stop. She wobbled in the air waving her hands up and down. She shot upward bashing her head against the ceiling.

“Ouch!” she said out of reflex. She looked down to see Greg was still asleep. She has to figure out a way down without waking him. Maybe if she concentrated really hard.

“Down, down, down, DOWN!” nothing happened. “Fuck.” she mumbled as she flailed around ten feet in the air. “How did Superman make this looks so easy?”

She dropped with no indication or warning. She squeaked as she plummeted towards her bed, sure she would land on Greg. Then she stopped just as abruptly as she fell meer inches from his face, He yawned and she earned a face full of stale morning breath. She gagged and then flipped over and started to giggle.Flying was another for the list.

The door swung open.

“I heard what happened from mom!” Mary said. “You elev…” she paused.

Ramona shrieked as she struggled to cover up.

Mary was frozen in the moment. She had once again walked in on her little sister naked. This time floating in the air over her sleeping equally naked boyfriend, after what could only have been a night of rampant fucking.

“Y-Your door. It has a lock yes?” Mary asked.

“Yes.” Ramona managed.

“Maybe use it next time.”

“Yes.” she repeated.

“I-I made breakfast.” Mary informed “ G-Greg is welcome to join us.” she quietly shut the door behind her.

 

Breakfast was awkward...again. Ramona silently pecked at her strawberry crepe while Mary worked on her own.

“So you’re feeling alright?” Mary asked.

Ramona thought on the question. Truth was she was more than “alright”. The things she could do and she knew she’d only scratched the surface. How could she explain that?

“Yeah.”

“Wear you flying?” Mary pointed up towards Ramona’s room.

“I think so.”

“So you won’t be needing a ride to school then.”

“Actually, I haven’t quite gotten the hang of it yet.” Ramona blushed through chews. “This is really good.”
“Thanks.” There was a pause. “So Greg. You and him are…...fucking.”

Ramona’s eyes shot open and she nearly choked on her bite of crepe.

“Yeah.” she rasped reaching for a glass of orange juice.

“How long.” Mary asked bluntly.

That’s none of your-” She froze as Mary’s eyes turned sharp and for a moment she was channeling their mother. “Three months.” she revealed.

“And you’re using protec-”

“YES!” Ramona cut off. “And I’ve been on the pill since last year Ms. Nosey!”

“He..treats you right?” she asked.

“Yeah, yeah he does.” Ramona grinned. As if on cue Greg came downstairs stumbling over himself.

“Good morning.” He squeaked shyly.

“Morning babe!” Ramona beckoned cheerfully and Mary gave him a knowing smirk.

He slowly approached Ramona and gave her a peck on the cheek. Mary never broke eye contact. It was slightly unnerving.

“I have to get going.” Greg said.

“Oh babe! Stay for breakfast!” Ramona insisted.

“Please do.” Mary added her smile growing.

“No really that’s okay.” He assured. “ I’m sure my parents are worried about me.”

Ramona poked her lip out. “Fine.” she relented giving him a squeeze. “ See you at school.“

The flustered boyfriend shambled out the door as fast as his feet could carry him.

“He seems nice.” Mary observed.  

They continued to eat until the clock read seven.

“You should go get ready.” Mary suggested.

“Can I borrow some of your clothes?” Ramona asked.

“Hrrmm?”

Ramona stood up showcasing her Mario shirt that only three days ago fit perfectly. Now it was a mini shirt that exposed her tight mid drift. All of her pants fit much the same  way either too tight or now rather immodest short shorts.

“Most girls would kill for that figure.” Mary informed. “Show it off. “

“Are you kidding?! This is way too embarrassing.”

‘I don’t think you’d like my old clothes any better.”

 

The ride seemed so familiar. It was like any ride Mary had given her on any day. Yet

Ramona felt so uneasy. Maybe it was because the inside of the car  seemed smaller now, maybe it was the pants Mary lent her that fit but were much tighter than she was used to, or even the fact they couldn’t find a shirt that fit the way she wanted.

 

“It’ll be fine.” Mary comforted. “Better than fine.” she stopped the car.

“I hope so.” Mary sighed.

“Do you want to be picked up.”

“No. I have plans with Greg. Ramona stepped out of the car to face the school anew.

 

Ramona had worried for nothing. She had received a few passing glances, maybe a lustful star or two, but otherwise most students were too absorbed in their own lives to notice her. She was grateful. As a wallflower she wasn’t used to attention. She reached the steps and saw a figure she recognized. Greg bent over tying his shoe. She stepped forward to loom over him a sensation still new to her. He looked like a mouse staring up at her, trapped in her shadow. It was cute. She put him on his toes a s she lifted him up to kiss. “You should have stayed for breakfast.”

“I think your sister was giving me the evil eye.”

“She was just messing with you..she’s protective.”

“Are we still on for Kelso’s tonight?” He asked.

Kelso’s was an arcade and bowling alley. They hung out there every Monday ritualistically.

“Of course!” Ramona beamed.

 

The day went on as expected. The campus was still in full swing preparing for the graduation ceremonies which meant Ramona could coast in her classes till lunch. This task was more difficult than she had intended as she found herself strangely alert. She couldn’t seem to block out the subtle shuffles and gestures of the students. Two guys across from her were passing a cellphone and snickering at nude photos of some women whose head was cropped out. Three rows back a girl was listening to Michael Jackson’s Bad through earbuds. Someone else was muttering about the lecture. A dozen different voices buzzed in her head. Every scratch, hiccup, groan, or stray cough was heard, She closed her eyes and lowered her head to her desk reveling in the temporary cool of the hardwood surface.

She wasn’t sure how long she’d closed her eyes but before she knew the bell had rung for the next class. Her eyes snapped open by the sharp and glanced upon a piece of paper tri folded and placed gingerly on the corner of her desk. She scanned the room. Most students were flooding out the narrow door eager to move to the next class. Only Ramona remainded seated and even the teacher was busy arranging documents preparing for the next round of students. She opened the paper and read a brief message in elegant cursive.

“Welcome to the new world. Meet me behind the gym after school .come alone.”

 

“I don’t trust it.” Greg croaked between bites of his turkey sandwich . “It’s probably some guys back handed way of hitting on you.”

Ramona had to stifle a laugh. The only guy she knew that had actually hit on her had been Greg. She hadn’t considered herself worth it before then. Maybe now that she was a bombshell she’d earned a n admirer.

“What if it’s real?” she proposed. “It’s at least worth checking out.”

“Why?” Greg questioned. There was a slight edge to his voice, just a hint of uncertainty to his tone and something else almost unnoticeable and definitely foreign to her.

“It could help me understand what all this means.” She stood up and waved to her entire body.

“It doesn’t mean anything.” Greg stood to meet her eyes . “ You’re still the same nerdy girl you’ve always been Just….taller.”

Ramona saw his eyes. Warm and dark and comforting. The corners of his lips upturned in a genuine smile. He was so sweet, even when he had no idea what he was talking about. Her lips pursed and she sat down. “You’re wrong Greg. I have changed, I can feel it.”

“Than we go see a doctor. or?”
“I don’t think that’s going to help.” Ramona grumbled in annoyance. Doctors were not her favorite people.

“Then what!? We just put our faith in some random stranger?”

“They’re not strangers Greg. It’s a student like us. We’ve had the same class for a year. You’ve probably had a class with them.”

Ramona was prepared for another argument but none came. Instead he just furrowed his brow and turned his head. “I still don’t like it.” he finally said.

“You can stop worrying about me babe.” Ramona smirked and raised her right arm and bent it up at the forearm. A wellspring of mass emerged from seemingly nowhere in a sturdy foundation of muscle. “I’m a big girl now.”

Greg’s eyes went wide and his face was the color of cherries. He locked in on her arm transfixed and Ramona was certain the conversation was over.

His face was still red as they walked down the stops. The last bell of the day sounding off as a backdrop to the gaggle of students ready to escape the trappings of education. She couldn’t subdue a grin at the thought of his face holding that look since lunch . She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and brought him close. so their chests were touching. In that moment she would let nothing separate them.

“So you’re going then.” He looked up into her eyes pleading for her to stay even as his body shook in her hold.

“Yes.” she returned wit a kiss on the cheek.

“We’re still on for Kelso’s later.” and his statement came out more as a question.

“I’ll be there.” she replied and they parted.

 

Ramona waited by the gym for a good ten minutes with no one approaching her. THe note was pretty vague and the gym led into the outside grounds. Dozens of students were still lingering about making plans for the rest of their day. Words itched in the back of her ears. Someone was planning graduation party. Two sisters were arguing over a pair of shoes. A group of students were trying to start a pick-up game of basketball. A teacher was getting harassed by student questions on the way to her car

“Music helps.” came a voice from behind. Ramona turned momentarily startled. Behind her she she found the girl that was listening to earbuds in her class. “With the voices. Music helps.”

“Who are you exactly?” Ramona asked slightly ashamed she couldn’t remember the name of a classmate.

“Susie Shiriashi.” she clarified. “ And don’t worry they go away eventually.”

Ramona gave a questioning glance. Was she elevated? She certainly didn’t look it. She was short for one and looked every bit like a normal person with her pale skin and thin arms.

“I’m not sure I know what you’re talking about?” Ramona lied.

“You are elevated right?” Susie asked. “ I figured with all the fidgeting in class and the fact that you’ve grown two feet.”

“I’m surprised no one else noticed.”

“You’d be surprised what nobody notices. I’ve been elevated over a month and nobody so much as glanced at me sideways.”

“You’re elevated?” Ramona asked with marked skepticism.

“Need proof?” she cheesed. She waved her left hand and bright white lines snaked across it. As if that weren’t enough she placed her hand on the ground and the lines followed and flowed out into the black top. She pulled her hand up and the ground followed like an amorphous wad of clay. Then the lines disappeared and there was a lump o black top jutting from the earth like a small hill where there previously wasn’t.

“Ta da!”

“What do you want with me?” Ramona asked now ready to give her the time of day. What were the odds there would be two elevated in the same class.

Susie blushed. “Friendship…..I guess. God that sounds so grade school.”

“What.” Ramona blurted.

“There’s more of us at the school, elevated I mean. We’ved formed a club, well more of a support group.”

“Support group?”

“Sort of a welcome to the new world no you’re not insane type thing.”

“New world. I don’t know what you mean by that.”

“Isn’t it obvious? You’ve seen the news. GIants walk the streets, and of course it doesn’t end there.” She nodded at Ramona “Times are changing.”

There was silence and a chill wind blew through both of them.

“You don’t have to say yes. I just saw you freaking out and thought maybe you could use some help from people who know what you’re going through. “

“No. I think it’s a good idea.” Ramona admitted.

“Really!” Susie sparked. “Cool! You’ll be the first one I’ve ever invited!” She jumped in the air catching more air time than a person her size should. “We’re meeting at Mason’s junkyard to you need a ride?”

“Yeah. “ Ramona answered checking her cellphone for the time. It was three thirty. “I’ve got maybe an hour do you have a car?”

“Not exactly.” she replied planting a hand on the ground. The light returned to the blacktop and warped around both their feet. The ground cracked and the earth lurched from the ground and they were both airborne. “I’ve only done this once before so watch yourself.”

“What?!” Ramona panicked as they shot through the sky.

 

The group was smaller than she thought. Only five people including her and Susie. There were two girls and a guy. One girl looked very young maybe twelve. She had long blonde hair tied in two pigtails and was the size of a small house. She sat nervously atop a rusted up sixteen wheeler with a Save Max logo on it. She was dressed in a jumpsuit much like she’d seen on her mother only it was light blue.

The man was tall, very tall, dark and handsome. He looked built like a fortress with muscle he didn’t hide behind his black wife beater. He had busied himself bench pressing a Saddan with ease.

The second girl she recognized. The red hair, the feathers, the wings! She just couldn’t quite place the name.

“Robin!” Susie shouted as she rushed to embrace her.

The two hugged for a long while before she turned toward Ramona. It took a moment but soon her eyes spread wide with the shine of a memory.

“I remember you.You knocked out that guy at the beach event.That was impressive.”

“Sorry about that.” Ramona turned in shame. “ I don’t know what came over me.”

“No it’s okay, sudden elevation is often tied to emotional events.“

“How do you know!? “ Ramona wondered. She wasn’t sure what to think of Robin. She seemed older but not by much.

“I elevated when my girlfriend moved away. to France. “ Robin revealed. “ I was so worried I’d never see her again I was overcome with sadness. I remember her boarding the plane and wanting to chase after her, wanting to fly after her. Then these sprouted,” She stretched  revealing her full wingspan.

“Did it work out for you.”

“She calls me her red angel.” She gleamed. “And I got an adorable little sister.” her hand ruffled Susie’s hair.

“Merci.” Susie chirped.

 

Soon they were all gathered in a circle at the feet of the giant girl. Robin who was clearly in charge started.

“First I’d like to welcome Ramona our newest guest.” everyone gave her a casual wave. “I’m sure Sues gave you most of the details so I’ll try not waste too much time repeating. We’re basically here to talk about and cope with any struggles you might have.”

“Struggles?” the guy interrupted. “ This is the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me!”

“Not everyone’s you Rodney.” Robin scolded. “It’s difficult for some people.” She turned back to Ramona. “I was going to make introductions next but you seem to know half our members.”  She looked up toward the girl who had remained quite. “You can introduce yourself if you want.”

The girl said nothing.

“Maybe start with your name?”

She shook her head.

“Okay whenever you’re ready.” she assured.

“Why are you doing this?” Ramona found the courage to ask.

“Because I know from personal experience how hard it can be.”Robin informed. “I’ve been elevated for three years. And was miserable for two of them. I tried doctors, the government, nobody knew what to do with me. I wasn’t the first but i think I might’ve been one of them. Even now society’s only playing catch up and I feel like I can help people. Even if it’s just a little.”

“I’m not sure what to talk about.” Ramona said.

“Just name something.”

“Like the voices.” Ramona tried.

“Good one. It’s actually quite a common symptom. You’ve probably noticed changes in your perception already. It can hit you pretty quickly. I thought I was reading minds when it happened to me. Luckily it goes away. Your brain just needs time to sort out all the information.”

“Why is it happening?”

“I wish I could answer that.” Robin replied. “The best I can figure the brains just running faster than usual. You figure things out faster, comprehend more, understand subtle things you used to ignore everyday. What’s important is that you don’t let it alienate you.”
“Alienate?”

“It’s easy to feel your alone, especially with enhanced abilities. People literally won’t understand you because they can’t.”

“Speaking from personal experience.” Ramona commented.

“That story I told you about my girlfriend. It wasn’t and automatic happy ending. I flew after her and when I found her she was amazed for a while, but then.”

“My sister’s an idiot.” Susie piped in.

“No she’s not!” Robin chastised. “After a while I started making comments. Noticing things she hadn’t said, giving her advice on secrets I wasn’t supposed to know. She thought.”

“That she was an alien!” Susie interrupted again.”

“That’s not true is it?”

“She has kind of an active imagination.” Robin blushed. “We split for a long time after that. I’ve since learned to tone it down, but that’s enough about me. Anyone want to share?”

“Nope.” Rodney said matter of factly.

Susie shrugged and pointed to her earbuds as if that was somehow and answer.

“My friends.” the giant girl mumbled.

“Can’t hear you honey.” Robin said cupping her hand to her ear even though she heard what was said.

“My friends.” She repeated louder. “I can’t see them anymore. When I elevated my friends were visiting. I crashed through the roof and a piece fell on one of them. He broke his leg and had to get a cast. I’m afraid….afraid I might hurt him again, might hurt them again.” Her voice was cracking as she tried to keep her composure. “My mom says I’m lucky but I just want to hug her. I’m so scared and I can’t even hug her! I didn’t want any of this!” She was full on crying now her bellows echoed throughout the yard.

Robin flew up and perched herself on the girls shoulder. She used a wing to wipe the tears from her eye. “You’ve come here three times and haven’t said a word. Is this what’s been bothering you?”

She nodded.

“What’s your name?” Robin asked.

“Sheila.” She wept.

“How long have you been elevated Sheila?”

“Three months.”

“And how long since you’ve seen your friends?”

“Three months.” she repeated with increased despair.

“Then it’s a good thing you came here. We can try and help you.”

“You can?” Sheila asked unsure. She turned her head to look upon the woman on her shoulder. What could she know. She didn’t seem that old. Not as old as her mom. Yet when she smiled it seemed to put her at ease. Maybe she could be trusted. She had to know more than the moron’s at the facility.

“I guess it’s time we talk about the second reason for these meetings. To discover and control our abilities.”

“That’s why we meet in a junkyard.” Susie chimed.

“That could include helping you gain some confidence in meeting with your friends.” Robin continued turning an eye to Sheila.

She sniffled in response.

“Try opening your hand.” Robin suggested.

Sheila didn’t respond.

“Come on, you won’t hurt me.” She promised.

“She reluctantly uncurled her shaky fingers and to her surprise Robin hopped right off her shoulder and landed gently into her open palm.

“Nice and easy see.” she said softly. “If you’re not comfortable with living normals we can start with mannequins and I’m always available.”

“Really?” Sheila asked slightly more chipper.

“Yes! And don’t think we’re all perfect here accidents happen and I’m sure your friend knows that.”

The meeting continued and everybody had opened up a little more. Rodney had confessed a problem with breaking things and trouble finding clothes that fit. Robin named some websites that sold specialty clothing that even had sized for Sheila. Susie was having problems controlling her power stating that things often flew about without her control. Making Ramona squirm slightly at the ride they had taken to get there. Even Robin revealed what a hassle it was controlling her wings indoors. Soon enough they were looking on Ramona hoping the newest member had something to reveal, but what could she say?

She’d only been elevated for three days yet everything was so different. She felt like a powder keg of energy all the time and had nothing to do with it She noticed things she shouldn’t. Apparently she resented her sister, her family had been keeping secrets about her brother who she now suspected might be a criminal. How did she even know that! Her mother was stuck in some warehouse, the voices still wouldn’t quite down, an apparently she could fly. And all that was trivial compared to the darkest thought lurking in her head.

“I really want to punch something.” She said.

Robin nodded and gestured toward the dilapidated Saddan Rodney had been benching. She stood in front of it and took in a deep breath. There was something digging in the back of her mind desperately trying to claw it’s way out. All day, subtle changes. The shaking, the cracked smile, the tone, he left. She knew it. She didn’t know how but she did. Five years, thats how long it had been. Officially two, but unofficially even longer. Five years, that’s when she realized how she felt. Five years and he leaves. It was small, normally dismissed, but she wasn’t dumb and he wasn’t a coward. It was so fast. The change, she didn’t realize it. How could she? They would’ve gotten….they would’ve.

Her hand tensed. If her eyes were open they’d be glowing. Her muscles burned. She opened with a snap as it hit her. She put her fist through the steel frame and sent it crashing ten yards in front of her colliding and collapsing a giant pile of parts and metal. As the dust settled she regained herself.

“Damn girl!” Rodney exclaimed. There was a red hot smoldering hole where her fist had went through.

“My boyfriend…...he’s, he’s afraid of me.” She admitted more to herself than anyone else. The bitter words bring more pain to her than anything she’d ever felt. “ And maybe he should be.” she wheezed as the tears came.

 

 

 

End Notes:

I know what you're thinking. Ian Malcolm said it first, but it adds more credibility when you're basically responsible for a giant T-rex terrorizing a city.

Yes you've met most of the group before. Hope you liked their little chapter because you won't be seeing them again in Ramona's story arc. I know I said four chapters but I need just one more so please bare with me. Bare? Bear?...no bares right. 

Next chapter's probably gonna be a painful one. Hopefully it won't be as long as this one though. 

Please comment and review or complain or whatever. 

Ramona Part 5: Break by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

Final Chapter of the Ramona arc

 

New World: Past Tense

 

Ramona Part 5: Break

 

There was a wilt in his eyes, a slight slouch, and a turn in his lips that betrayed his smile, just a hint of salt in his voice. He could try to hide it but it was clear to Ramona. Greg was pissed. He hid it well, too well. Normally she wouldn’t have noticed, but hell she was noticing everything these days.

“I’m sorry.” she said with genuine remorse. She’d hurt him even if it was only a little.

“About what?” He asked this time even managing to hide the salt. Dammit he should’ve been an actor! He took a bite of cold pizza and smiled. It was pineapple and pepperoni; her favorite. He swallowed with marked enjoyment and nudged his head beckoning her to partake.

“Don’t play dumb babe. I know you’re angry.” She spied that last orange rays of sun fade as the purple sky turned dark blue. He reached for another slice and she stopped his hand. It shook for half a second before calming and a sharpness to his eyes was already fading.

“Watch.” she said hovering her hand over the cold pizza. She scrunched her face in effort and her eyes took a dim glow. Rays of heat invisible to the naked eyed escaped her hand and flowed into the tray. Before his eyes the pizza began to sizzle  as the cheese darkened. Within thirty seconds the dish looked fresh out the oven if slightly burnt.

“What do you think?” she asked hoping to earn his approval. Even learning to just do this had taken her three hours she hadn’t planned on spending. The corners of his lips started to curl. He stopped it abruptly much to her dismay. He should be all over this!

“It’s cool.” He said flatly. His eyes gleamed revealing him. She could see the gears turning in his head, the embers of passion burning in his eyes. She could salvage this.

“It’s crazy right?!” She went on. “If I really try I can do even more!”

“Really?!” he slipped out. He placed a hand on his mouth trying to contain his words. “Not that I care.” he corrected. It was too late. He’d already given her the in. She turned her hand over showing her palm. Her eyes closed and she gritted her teeth. She had to reach deep inside to start it, get back to that same place. It was an engine; at least to her. She just had to turn the key and she could rev it. She thought back to the junkyard and the anger she felt, because of him. That had worked once maybe?...She looked to Greg, he was staring intently with interest and concern in  his big doe eyes.

“Dammit!’

“Something wrong? He asked sounding more like himself than he had all day.

“You’re too nice!” She snapped “Why can’t you be an ass like this-” Her hand erupted in a flashed of yellow and white ember sparking in every direction before shooting up in a ball of fire and smoke that initiated the sprinkler system. The shouts came as customers verbalized their disapproval. Meals were soaked and evenings ruined. It didn’t surprise the pair at all when they were face to face with the owner and head chef Frank Kelso. He was an imposing man a head taller than Ramona with wide arms and a wider gut.

“Out.” he said as he racked his hairy knuckles along his grease stained apron.

 

“Nice one Red.” Greg smirked. His attitude seemed far more chipper than before. “Just like when you got us thrown out of that water park”

“Hey that wasn’t my fault!” That soda machine was clearly defective.” They’ve had this talk before and she was always adamant that the soda machine was part of the parks plan to scam the patreans.

“Before or after you pushed it over.”

“A buck fifty is a buck fifty.” They both laughed a good lone one shaking off the weight of the day. “So you’re not mad anymore?”

“Mad about what?” Greg asked. Ramona scowled at him. “No. Maybe I was at first but not anymore.”

“Sorry I was late. I didn’t mean to keep you waiting.”
“Your new “super”  friends that interesting huh?”

“Don’t be an ass. You’d probably like them more than I do.”

“Maybe.” he sighed looking up at the night sky. The light of day was completely gone by now and the streets were lit. “I should be getting home.” Greg checked his watch. It was seven-eighteen, he could catch the seven-twenty-five if he hurried.

“I can give you  a ride.” Ramona suggested. “If you want.”
“You have a secret car I don’t know about.”

“Who needs a car?” She grinned.She moved in close rubbing her hands together in sinister contemplation. She seized him. With one hand on his hip and her other arm around the back of his neck. She could feel the hair on the back of his neck stand.

“What are you doing?” he asked with a confused smile.

“I think I can get this to work...for the both of us.” They slowly lifted of the ground.

“You can fly?!” Greg gasped.

 

Exilherating. They weren’t actually that high up just a bit higher than the streetlights but they were moving pretty fast. Definitely faster than the cars below them. Greg could feel his heart pumping in his chest from the rush of adrenaline. It scared him. Not just the wind in his face or the fact that the only thing keeping him from falling to the hard ground was the grip of his girlfriend. It was Ramona. She’d changed, she could fly. When had she learned to do that! The Ramona he knew couldn’t fly, couldn’t carry him like this or set things on fire with her hands. The Ramona he knew was quiet, shy, a little possessive a little hot headed but nothing beyond him. This new Ramona he wasn’t so sure. Did she still need him.

Before he knew it they were right above his house. The landing was a little fast and they ended up crashing in the neighbors bushes but they were more or less unharmed.

“Not so bad for a first real flight.” she commented.

“Right.” Greg jerked from his thoughts. He hadn’t even paid that much attention until the crash. She put her hand on his shoulder and he was taken off guard at the action of looking up at her. It was all still a little fresh.

“Listen.” She said and it felt almost like an order. “I’ll see you tomorrow. We’ll talk and stuff okay?”

“Okay.” She kissed him on the forehead before leaving him at his doorstep. He lingered there and touched the moist area on his head. He’d done that to her so many times.

The next morning Greg woke bright and early. Ramona was a never a morning person he was sure that much hadn’t changed. He could surprise her with a ride to school. As soon as he was dressed he rushed downstairs taking two steps at a time. He missed a step halfway and began to fall. Everything slowed as he watched his descent. He tried to brace himself but his body couldn’t keep up with his brain. He could only close his eyes and brace for the pain. Pain that never came. He had stopped mid drop but how?

“Watch it honey.” he heard in a warm Texas accent.

“Mom?” He asked in disbelief. He opened his eyes and sure enough the short stocky woman had prevented his fall with a strong hand,

“You shouldn’t run down the stairs hun. Your ol’ mom’s not gonna be here to catch you forever.”

‘“Mom are you okay. Don’t do stuff like that you could of gotten hurt.”

“Hush boy!” she chastised. “I might be getting old but I still have some strength in me. I used to carry bales of hay heavier than you on the farm.” She flexed her arm revealing a small mound under a layer of fat. It had been years since she last worked on her grandfather’s farm but it seemed the muscle she’d earned hadn’t quite left her yet.

Greg gritted his teeth. There was no point arguing with her on this one.”Thanks mom.”  he winced as she brought his head down to kiss his cheek. She continued up the stairs with a large bin of clean laundry under her left arm. Had she been holding that the entire time?

“No.” Greg dismissed. There was no way.

Greg continued on forgoing breakfast. He wanted to get to Ramona’s as soon as possible. He turned the corner, walked past the kitchen and went towards the garage. A quick button press and the wall shifted upward metal grinding against metal until it revealed the worn chassis of his late uncle’s Volkswaggen bus Ramona affectionately nicknamed the crapwaggon. Despite its name it did run but only when  it wanted to. The starter was sketchy and the family joked that it was haunted by the spirit of his dead uncle. He open the rusted seafoam green door and sat down on the torn upholstery One key and and the engine sputtered impotently. Another key turn and the engine revved he quickly put it in reverse and put his foot on the gas, then the it erupted like a gunshot before spitting smoke from the rear exhaust.

“Come on!” Greg urged trying once more. Another push and the engine finally turned over. “Yes!” he backed out but the van wasn’t moving. He pressed down on the gas pedal as far as it would go but he could only hear the tires screech and smell the abrasive scent of burnt rubber.

“Great.” He droned. If the transmission was shot he was sunk. He shut off the engine and exited the vehicle. He walked around the back and saw something he didn’t expect. His girlfriend lifting the crapwagon off the ground by it’s rear fender, with one hand.

“Going somewhere?” She smiled.

“To your house actually. I thought maybe you could use a ride.”

“So early?

“I thought maybe I pick up some bagels or something on the way.” She admitted sheepish.

“That’s sweet.”

“Why are you up so early?” Greg asked. This was incredibly unusual for her. It wasn’t even seven yet. She revealed her other hand to be holding a cup holder with two hot drinks and what looked like donut holes in small bags in the empty slots.

“I was hoping we could talk.” she revealed.

“About what.”

“This.” She grabbed his hand. Not forcefully but the speed of it caught him off guard. For a brief moment he was left shivering. He tried to stop it but it was persisting. He turned his head like he was caught in some lie.

“I’m working on it.” he defended. He took a deep breath and as he released his hand stopped shaking.

“I know this is all a bit much. I still trying to figure it out myself. You don’t need to try so hard. We’ll get there babe.” She smiled and he had to turn his head. The shame was painful, like staring into the sun. Was he really afraid of her? That sounded so stupid. If he wasn’t afraid then what was it?

“I think we should get going.” Greg said trying change the subject.

“Okay.” She replied. He was grabbed abruptly and lifted into her. She took off before he could utter a word of objection.

She’d grown more confident. Even in the span of a single night. They were up higher than last night soaring over houses and buildings. He was aware now to fully appreciate the view and he had to admit it was beautiful. He could see the city all the way down to the pier. She held him tighter this time. Almost too tight it was bordering on painful but he secretly appreciated the extra security. She was giving him side glasses periodically judging his reaction. It was only a guess, but she probably wanted this to become an everyday thing.

Once again they reached their destination in record time and the landing was a lot gentler this time. They landed around the corner from the school in the adjacent neighborhood most likely to avoid calling too much attention to themselves. It seemed no one noticed Ramona’s elevated status and she wanted to keep it that way.

` “I guess we can walk from here.” she said.

`

They soon reached the steps of the school. There were some students about even though classes didn’t start for another hour. They sat at the steps and went at the breakfast she’d acquired.

“You weren’t shaking this time.” She said after popping a creamy glazed donut hole into her mouth.

“What.” He managed through a mouth full of donut and coffee.

“Last night you were kind of freaking a little but today you were fine. You’re already getting used to this.” She stood up now towering over him with her increased height. He didn’t say anything, just looked up at her lost in her shadow. “I’ll see you at lunch.”

 

Class was a relief. He didn’t know what he was expecting with Ramona but it wasn’t that. She’d managed to read right through him and notice things about him he wasn’t even aware of himself. It kind of freaked him out a little. At least in class sort things out in his own head. He could make this work. He just had to learn to take things in pieces. Work harder. Surprise her. She was too important. He didn’t want to fall in her eyes.

“Mendez are you alright?” he heard in Mr. Curtson’s gruff bark. The math teacher was a seventy year old retired drill sergeant who hadn’t lost his military edge. Greg snapped to attention along with half the class. He turned left to see Patrice Mendez. She was hunched over her desk.

“I’m not feeling to well.” She groaned. Even in pain her voice was light and meek much like the rest of her.

“Do you need and escort to the nurse’s office.” Curtson asked pointing to the door. She shook her head no before slowly rising from her desk. She reached the front of the class before collapsing to her knees.

“Mendez!” Curtson bent down to check on his student when she lurched forward on her hands and her body expanded. It was slow at first a slight jump hardly noticable. “Mendez?” Her jeans tore as her legs stretch outward. There was a loud ripping sound as she spasmed. She reared back on her knees and clutched her sides as moan escaped her lips. She was now taller than Curtson a whose stature was a dominant six feet four inches sitting down. Her clother were now in sheds that hung off her loosely barely covering anything.

“Don’t look at me!” she shrieked. Then her body exploded instantly shooting up another ten feet. Her head collided with the ceiling and her knees expanded until they knocked down everyone in the front row. “Sorry!” she squealed.

“Evacuation proceders now!” Curtson ordered as her head broke through the ceiling. The class jumped into action forming single file ranks and exiting the class one row at time. Curtson was the last one out. He looked up at his frightened student and sighed before pulling the fire alarm. A flood of students rushed into the hallway urged by the alarm and the sounds of a panicked teenager bursting through the building. Luckily thanks to Curtson’s strict adherence to proper procedure his class was at the front of the tide and one of the first to escaped the building. The rest of it followed like a standard fire drill the students far less hysterical once free of the danger.The only difference being the one-hundred foot girl kneeling amongst the debree.  As they lined up in their designated spots along the football field most looked back to marvel at the event. Cell phones were produced and pictures were taken forever chronically Patrice’s day of elevation and embarrassment.

Almost as soon as the school hide finished role call sirens could be heard approaching from down the street. Firetrucks and police cars surrounded Patrice. The giantess freaked and backed away ber butt destroying what was once the cafeteria in the process. Then came the identifiable sound of blades slicing the air as a helicopter approached. Patrice jumped and swatted out of instinct her hand only just missed it thanks to the skills of the pilot. A figure emerged from the chopper with a police uniform and a megaphone.

“Please remain calm Ms.?” The officer’s voice remained calm and wilting even through the megaphone.

“Patty.” Patrice answered. “Everybody calls me that.”

“Ms. Patty. How are you feeling?”

“Scared! I don’t know what’s happening.”

“Okay Patty just relax. It’s important to stay calm.” The officer guided Patrice through a few deep breaths. Then signaled the pilot and the copter rose above her head.

“We’re give you a cover Ms. Patrice.” The was a signal and a large tarp deployed from a hatch beneath the chopper. She seized it and wrapped it around herself like a warm blanket.

“Thank you.” she murmured.

It was surreal to watch; a giant girl talking to a helicopter amongst the remains of his school. Greg stared along with the rest of his class and probably half the student body. It was impossible to deny. The world was changing.

“Enough gawking!” Curtson snarled. The class snapped to attention. “That girl has it hard enough without you posting her trama on YouTube.” The class immediately stored there phones.

When he was satisfied that everyone was paying attention he continued. “You’ll be happy to know that I’ve spoken with Principal Muson and if it isn’t already clear school is dismissed.”

“For how long?” A student asked.

“Indefinitely.”

“What about graduation?” Asked another.

“We’re forming a committee and will be notifying your parents in a few days….DISMISSED!”

The organized lines quickly devolved into a jumbled crowd as the students dispersed most likely receiving the same news from their teachers. Greg made it his top priority to locate Ramona which would pose a challenge in the chaos considering her class was on the opposite side of the campus. He didn’t know where she would be in the line. He quickly got lost in the shuffle and stumbled before bumping into another person’s shoulder. Then he fell forward. Before he hit the ground he was snatched by the back of his shirt collar and pulled back the front fabric choking him. Then he was dragged off.

 

Ramona idled in front of the school for Greg. It had been almost ten minutes and he still hadn’t appeared. She was starting to worry. She looked upward at the towering Patrice who had seemed to regain some of her composure. Wasn’t she in Greg’s class. Her worries suddenly doubled as the image of him trapped under fallen rubble flashed in her head.

 

Greg spat some blood from his mouth as he picked himself up off the cold tile of the mens room floor. He had bitten his tongue thanks to his captors rough treatment. He couldn’t believe his bad luck. He turned onto his back and looked up at his attacker. It was a face he recognized. Tall, very tall, easily beating ten feet, broad shoulders, dark hair, blue eyes. These were all key traits he could remember and all were irrelevant when compared to the bandaged wrapped around his recently broken nose.

“Call her.” Aiden commanded. He leaned casually with his arms crossed against a bathroom stall.

“I can’t believe you actually go to this school.”

“Why do you think I was at the party in the first place?” He asked snidely. “Now call her.”
“So you can what? Get revenge. Fuck that!”

“Revenge? Please!” He rubbed his nose bandage along the bridge and winced from the sensitivity. He looked at his his eyes suddenly glassed over and wistful. “My mom always told me if you find a girl that can put you in your place you marry her.”

“You can’t be serious!?” Greg exclaimed in disbelief.

“Dead serious. Now call her.”

“Only one problem chief. She’s got a boyfriend.”

Aiden laughed like Greg had just said the funniest thing ever “That doesn’t matter! Not when the boyfriends you. She’s elevated now, moving up in the world. You really think she wants to be chained down to a normal like you? Even if it’s not me it will be someone else.”

Greg had to consider his words. It was clearly a play by Aiden but it wasn’t untrue. Not entirely. She was elevated. He wasn’t.

“And you think she’d prefer a prick like you over me?” Greg challenged.

“Of course. It’s only natural.” He approached Gred and lifted him up off the floor suspending him in the air by his collar. “Call her.”

Greg remained silent.

“You’ve got balls I’ll give you that.” Aiden sighed. “But I don’t have all day here.” Aiden turned Greg upside down and grabbed him by both legs. Then he shook. Greg’s body bounced up and down and readily produced the contents of his pockets; keys, a few loose dollar bills, and his cell phone. Aiden dropped him and he scrambled after his phone. AIden was faster and picked it up and started pawing at it with his oversized hands.

“First number on the speed dial. Man you got it bad.”

“Give it back!” Greg demanded. He rushed Aiden colliding with his muscled leg. He reached for his phone, but Siden just snickered as he dangled it just out of reach. Greg pressed and angry fist into Aiden’s gut and it almost bounded off his frm abdomen. Greg had to shake the sting off his fingers.

Aiden laughed and pressed his finger on the dial button. Greg charged him but Aiden was more than prepared. He raised his freehand sliding his index against his thumb. One flick sent Greg flying to the floor. His right eye swelled shut in practically a second.

 

“What do you mean I can’t go in!” Ramona shouted at the firewoman. The emergency response had already formed a perimeter around the entire campus even the parts that weren’t destroyed.

“No ones allowed in until we’ve cleared the debri Ms. If you have things on campus they’ll be sent to the front office for pickup.  

“But my boyfriend could be in there!” Ramona was about to brush past her when she was stopped by a hand on her shoulder.

“There were no students reported missing in the teacher’s head counts. Despite that we’re still doing a cursory check for possible victims. If by some off chance he’s in there we will find-” She took a step back suddenly inexplicably fearing for her life. Ramona had momentarily taken a gaze that could challenge death itself. Then her phone rang and she returned to normal.

“Greg! Are you okay!? I’ve been waiting.” she paused. Her eyes flashed and she flew up and over the building and right past Patrice.

 

Aiden tossed the phone to the blue and white tile floor. It bounced and clattered on the linoleum landing next to a bitter Greg. He snatched it.

“Yep. She’ll be here any minute.” He bragged.

On queue the door flung open almost completely torn off its hinges.

“Hey.” waved. “Remember me?”

She walked passed him as if he wasn’t even there.

“Slow down.” Aided reached for her hand wrapping it in his larger digits :I wanted to talk” This earned him a swift slap on the face. He took it on the cheek noticeably unfazed. “Nice.” he retained his grip on her.

“Let go.” She said coldly trying to jerk her hand back.

“Just hear me out.” AIden insisted.  He pulled her in close. "I was thinking of you ever since that day on the beach and figured a girl like you would be a pretty nice catch."

"No thank you." Ramona shot down with a disgusted look. "Let go please." She was trying hard to suppress her anger before she broke his hand. He continued to hold hers tightening his grip. It was annoying that he was strong enough to keep her held.

"She said let go." Greg interjected. He rose to his feet. He grabbed Aiden's wrist but his fingers couldn't even reach around it. He tried to separate them, but if Ramona couldn't he stood no chance. Aiden brushed him aside as easily as one would a nagging child.

"So what you prefer this weak normal trash?"

"As opposed to you?"

"Of course. You can't tell me you don't want a man who can hold you, prot3ct you, It's only natural.' His freehand slid down Ramona's back and boldly gripped her upper thigh.

Greg saw red. "Enough!" he fumed rising again.

"Greg stay out of this!" Ramona ordered.

He froze. This was the second time she'd said that to him. "You can't be serious?"

"I can't have you getting in the way. Getting hurt." Her words were heavy, precise, and left little room for negotiation.

"You hear that?" Aiden cheesed. "I guess you're not needed anymore."  

"You really think you're the guy for me?" Ramona tilted her head and actually smiled at him.

"Yes I do!" He boasted.

"Well then. Come get me." She urged.

Needing no further encouragement Aiden leaned in to kiss and if he hadn't closed his eyes in the moment he might of seen her eyes flash white. He might of been prepared for the crippling pain that shot through his hand.

"Come on Aiden. I'm right here." Ramona teased. Even though she was still smiling her eyes were glowing white hot.

"What the?" Aiden grabbed her hand but her hold on him was iron and burning.

"You really think I need someone like you to protect me? I'm stronger than you already and I know at least three other people who are. Even if that wasn't the case. I don't think I like you very much."

"Ease off!" Aiden begged. He pried his hand from her revealing a red handprint where she had held him.

"Stay away from me and my boyfriend."

Just then the fire woman strode in through the open door with a rather dissaproving glare.

 

"What was that in there?" Greg asked.

"What was what?" Ramona asked.

"I thought you were going to rip his hand off."

"I was considering it." Ramona admitted.

"That's not funny."

"It wasn't a joke." Ramona looked at him. She wasn't kidding. " He hurt you Greg." She pressed a finger gently onto his tender eye. "I can't allow that."

"Allow?!" Greg started. "I could've handled it." He muttered.

"No you couldn't. We both know that." Her look was even and serious.

"Sure he's an asshole but it's nothing I haven't seen before." Greg insisted.

"He wasn't some schoolyard bully Greg! He could've done whatever he wanted to you. It's just that simple."

"No it isn't!"

"Yes it is! He's elevated Greg! You're no. What do you think you could've done?!"

"So then you agree with him. You think I'm weak...useless."

"No! That's not what I mean."

"Then what do you mean?" Greg asked. He met her with potent eyes. There was a lot riding on her answer.

"The worlds not the same anymore. It's changed. You can't pretend like it hasn't."

"Then how am is supposed to deal with it?...with this?" he gripped his knee with his trembling hands. "I was worthless in there. He was terrifying..you were..terrifying." His last word were dry like they'd been caught in his throat. He nearly forced them out.

There it was, finally out in the open. She observed Greg; sitting on the ground , black eye, desperately trying to keep it together. This world would swallow him alive.

"There's really no avoiding this is there?" She asked herself. She reached for him and gently laid her hand on top of his then interlocked their fingers. He turned toward her searching her eyes for answers. She took his hand and pressed it to her heart.

"This is my hand now." She stated calmly.

"Okaaay?" Greg was puzzled.

"I own it and there's not a thing you can do to get it back."

Greg inspected her. She was kind and warm and her expression didn't show any malice.

"Try to take it." She suggested. He pulled at it and of course it didn't budge.

"I said try." She giggled. He pulled harder but the result was the same.

"Ummm could you let go?"

"No." Ramona politely denied. "It's my hand and I'm not done with it yet."

"Please."

"No.If you want it back, take it." She brought his hand to her lips and pecked his fingers. Then she applied just a bit of pressure. Not enough to hurt but enough to be uncomfortable.

"Let go!" Greg strained. He leaned back using his entire body weight as leverage. It was fruitless. He might as well not be there at all.

"It's not costing me anything to do this Greg. I'm not even trying." She informed.

Greg continued his meager attempts and Ramona stared at him her soft gaze turned stern.

"It's not just me or Aiden. Lots of people can do this to you. Will do this to you. You won't be able to stop them, like you can't stop me."

Greg's arm went limp and his mouth shut.

"It's a cruel reality isn't it? If you understand that then let me-"

"I don't accept it."

She regarded him.

"This bullshit sounds just like Aiden and I can't except that."He said with renewed vigor." That's not you and that's not us!" He re-doubled his efforts to remove his hand. He had to show her hew was more than just a normal. He wouldn't run, he wouldn't hide behind her. He could still be relied on, be seen as an equal by her.

"Just stop Greg!" She tightened her grip. "I don't know what you're trying to prove, and I don't care. It doesn't matter."

“It does matter!” He argued. “You’ll look at me different. Maybe not now, maybe not for a while but it will happen, and I can’t have that!” He started jerking and twisting his arm at weird angles.

“Greg stop before you!”

SNAP!

She heard it clear as day. Maybe he didn’t but she did. It replayed for in eternity in her mind for that on instant. His hand was free. He’d proved her wrong. It dangled limply before her. He’d done exactly what she’d asked and she was a fool for asking. Even if the world changed, even if she changed he would stay the same. For her, her babe. Now if only she could live with herself.

“I think I’ll walk home.”

“Do you want me to….to take you to the hospital?” She had to ask.

“No.” he replied.

“Goodbye.” she said then she floated off so he wouldn’t see her cry.

 

THREE MONTHS LATER

 

Greg’s eyes snapped open. He really hated that dream along with any reminder of that horrible day. That hadn’t spoken since then except for two words at their graduation. “I’m sorry.”

He rose from his bed then stretched and extended his limbs all the way down to the fingertips. Three of them still popped when he moved them. He forced himself up. It was still dark out but he had to get moving. He had work

Once he was dressed he headed down the hall past his father’s loud snoring. He reached the stairs and could see the light of the kitchen and smell the tempestuous scents of morning breakfast from the top. His mother was already up. She was a natural early riser and it seemed she woke even earlier since she’d.

:Good morning hun.” She boomed. She bent down to fit beneath the doorway before rising again to meet his eye level at the top of the stairs. “Off to work?”

“Yep.”  He droned. Like he did every morning when she asked this question.

“My big working man!” She cheered. Greg still wasn’t use to this. His mom formerly a women of five feet now barely fit in there two story home. She looked younger like the pictures she of her from back when she lived in Texas. She shoved a warm biscuit in him mouth before he could escape out the door. The bus arrived as the first morning rays broke. The crapwagon had rapped out sometime ago so public transportation was his only option. The morning shift had sounded like such a good idea at the time.

The ride was long and boring. It gave him time to think and reflect which he hated. His mind inevitably went toward Ramona. He looked at his fractured image in the incomplete reflection of the mirror blended loosely with the travelin background.

“You’re a moron.” He said to himself. What was he trying to prove. She was right, it happened anyway. He couldn’t ignore it. It was all around him. It was in his house probably doing his laundry at that very moment! The bus screeched to a stop at it’s final destination. The last stop was still a mile or so from his job so he had to walk the rest of the way.

After almost twenty minutes he’d almost reached his work. He was about a half hour early but it was either that or arrive over an hour late. Then it happened again. He’d first dismissed it as a fluke but now he expected it. On queue the jogger appeared. She was giant, class 2 they called it. Every morning she passed by and he watched with intrigue. Sometimes he got a glimpse of her face. She seemed familiar but he couldn’t imagine he’d ever met her. She strode right over him never realizing his presence. She continued her jog until she vanished into the horizon. In all the days she jogged by she never looked down, never saw him. Why would she? She was elevated. She was part of the new world. He wasn’t.

“Elevated indeed.” he muttered.



 

End Notes:

..........

Well that's the end of that. If you want to know how they got back together well you'll have to use your imaginations. Until then I'm saying it was time travel, or magic, or ghosts those exist. What was happening in my other story? I think it was a birthday or a wedding or the apocalypse?. Either way I'm returning to "Tales" friends. :)

Comment and review if you have the free time. 

This story archived at http://www.giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=4331