Trials by MrSirk
Summary:

A young soldier becomes lost in a forest and is soon captured and forced into a dangerous competition to earn his freedom.


Categories: Animal, Adventure, Gentle, Growing Woman, Humiliation, Maternal, Muscle, Slave, Violent Characters: None
Growth: Giant (31 ft. to 50 ft.)
Shrink: None
Size Roles: None
Warnings: This story is for entertainment purposes only.
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 50000 Read: 141878 Published: May 05 2013 Updated: March 26 2014

1. Chapter 1: Lost by MrSirk

2. Chapter 2: Found by MrSirk

3. Chapter 3: Service by MrSirk

4. Chapter 4: Branded by MrSirk

5. Chapter 5: Servitude by MrSirk

6. Chapter 6: Training by MrSirk

7. Chapter 7: Doratea by MrSirk

8. Chapter 8: Exhibition part one by MrSirk

9. Chapter 9: Exhibition part two by MrSirk

10. Chapter 10: Exhibition part three by MrSirk

11. Chapter 11: Blood from Stone by MrSirk

12. Chapter 12: Teacher by MrSirk

13. Chapter 13: Lesson by MrSirk

14. Chapter 14: Soul of Fire by MrSirk

15. Chapter 15: Dinner by MrSirk

16. Chapter 16: Playtime by MrSirk

17. Chapter 17: Matriarchs by MrSirk

18. Chapter 18: Night by MrSirk

19. Chapter 19: Morning by MrSirk

20. Chapter 20: Partners by MrSirk

21. Chapter 21: Confrontation by MrSirk

22. Chapter 22: Flames by MrSirk

23. Chapter 23: Discussion by MrSirk

24. Chapter 24: Will by MrSirk

25. Chapter 25: Alpha by MrSirk

26. Chapter 26: Birds by MrSirk

27. Chapter 27: Scout's Honor by MrSirk

28. Chapter 28: Reunion by MrSirk

Chapter 1: Lost by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

My first story HURRAY! No giantess content in this first chapter but there will be some in the second when the story picks up. This first one is really more for main character development.

 

 

                Trials Chapter 1: Lost

                “Life has a way of leading us to strangest of places and if you’re not prepared you will be lost forever.”  These words hung in his ears over and over as he trudged through the forest floor. He had been lost for days in this accursed foliage the words of his teacher forever mocking him for his failure. He fished into his pocket for his wallet and badge. For a moment he looked at it shimmering in cheap bronze: Private second class Ramsey Lench of the Queen Lucinda Qwailis’ royal army.

“Don’t join the military!” the voice said. “It will only lead to your undoing.” The voice of his tutor echoed as he pondered the badge. That old bitch had never been more right. This was suicide. He knew that as soon as he got the orders. The mission was simple enough track down a group of murderers who ransacked the Squall Harbor and bring them to face the Queen’s justice. The only problem was that he was completely green having only been promoted a month prior and just at the tail end of his scouts training. Also this was a mission more suited for a squad and not one lone soldier. The gang numbered in the dozens how was one person supposed to capture them all and somehow transport them miles through dense underbrush back to the capital. He decided this wasn’t suicide it was murder.

“Murder for what?” he thought. For the entirety of his short military career he had kept his head down and followed orders. Thinking on it was frustrating and pointless. He received no answers from his superior officers and he wouldn’t gain any standing around feeling sorry for himself. He continued his trek through the vines and leaves all the while his unease only grew. Since the day he entered this maze of leaves and chaos he had the feeling he was being watched. He knew from reports that the forest was dangerous. Predators and man eating plants lurked in the darkness. Of course a lot of those reports were the insane ramblings of superstitious cowards who made up excuses so they wouldn’t have to venture too far into the forest themselves. Still as the days passed he couldn’t help but think that they might have had some truth to them. He would hear calls on the wind or the shuffling of leaves. At first he dismissed this as the natural workings of the forest but sometimes when he focused he would see shadows, silhouettes moving against the background and eyes staring from the dark, yellow and glowing only for a moment before they disappear. The day dragged on and he was losing light. He would have to eat soon and make a camp for the night. He hugged his sides an audible growl emerged from his empty stomach. He resisted the urge to check his pack for food. It was empty the last three times he looked it would be empty now. He expected to die when he started this journey but by the hands of some viscous monster or an ambush by the vagrants he’d been sent to capture. Dying by starvation would just be an insult.

Ramsey searched the forest for any source of sustenance he could. There were an abundance of squirrels and other small creatures available but he was no hunter or trapper he doubted he would be able to catch any. He had to fall back on his scout training and forage. He pulled out his reference guide of local plants. He was sure he wouldn’t need it but his teacher insisted. As he compared the local plants to the ones in the book he wished he had paid more attention during the lectures most of these plants looked the same. One in particular was about waist high with green stems and hair like sinews emerging from the center of the bud. He found two plants similar to it in his guide. One was called angel hair and the other was too long and hard to pronounce but common folk knew it as the rasper plant. Ironically the one called angel hair was the one that was dangerous. It could cause vomiting and hallucination if ingested orally and was only useful if combined with certain agents. The rasper on the other hand tasted awful but could be eaten raw or brewed to make a tonic for energy and a remedy for sore throats. The only way to tell was from distinct patterns on the petals of the flower bud, patterns that he didn’t remember.

“Dammit.” He cursed to himself. He did not want to risk it but couldn’t afford to pass up this opportunity he didn’t know when he would be able to eat again. He snatched up a handful of the plant and shoved it in his mouth chewing with gritted teeth. It tasted awful which he took as a good sign he didn’t know what angel hair tasted like but he knew rasper was disgusting. More confident he collected some more to use as an emergency ration. For an instant he thought he heard something, that same voice on the wind he took a few cursory glances and concluded he was still alone. The rasper would be enough to curb his appetite but it made a poor meal. He needed something heartier if he were to survive. Ramsey continued to march under the setting sun all the while comparing the plants with his reference guide. Not one plant seemed to be edible besides the rasper which seemed to grow everywhere. He soon came into a small clearing. The grass was short and no trees seemed to grow there. He looked up and saw the sky for the first time in days somehow it gave him hope. He noticed the trees that surrounded the clearing and smiled he didn’t need his guide to recognize the fruit hanging from the branches. It was "Chiki" a small vaguely square shaped melon with blue stripes. He couldn’t believe his luck as he bit into the bittersweet fruit. As the sun set and darkness came he decided this is where he would camp for the night.

 

 

End Notes:

Again sorry no gts content......also please comment.

Chapter 2: Found by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

For anyone who is even reading this here is the second chapter.

 

 

Trials Chapter 2: Found

The night was not a kind one to Ramsey. The local plants he thought were rasper were in fact the incredible dangerous and significantly more toxic Angel’s hair fiber plant. This resulted in him spending an entire night in one of the worst fits of vomiting he experienced since he was dared to drink an entire keg of dread water at the academy. The only thing better than spending a whole night in crippling agony and continuous vomiting is when you partner it with constant psychosis inducing hallucinations that shatter your hold on reality. The visions were the worst part as he sat there writhing on the cold forest ground he would have waking nightmares of yellow eyes staring at him through the darkness. He would see monsters coming for him and devouring his body only to wake in a cold sweat and realize he never went to sleep. Then it started to rain. A cold harsh rain that seemed to fight him throughout the night, just when he thought he had found a brief respite between pain and delusion lightning would flash and the storm would pour down all the fiercer.

By morning Ramsey was a wreck. A piteous shell of himself the day before cold, soaked, and huddled in fear prone to impromptu spasms of dry-heaving. The only silver lining was that the rain had finally stopped leaving the clearing draped in a thick mist that sparkled in the morning sun. Ramsey for his part did his best to try and recover from his night before. He managed to stand for the first time in hours and even clean himself up as much as possible. While the pain from the Angel’s hair had tempered to mild cramping the hallucinations remained and would for some time. He saw fairies dancing in the morning dew and the Queen herself having tea with dragons.

“I’m insane.” He said to himself as the visions played out before him. He repeated the phrase over and over as the visions continued. He saw children floating in the air and growing horns and wings, he saw the earth split open and swallow the children in a torrent of flame, he saw the Queen embracing a man he recognized as his commander before they morphed into a two headed serpent that devoured itself, a giant rage beast erupting from the background brandishing it’s long serrated horn and stamping it’s feet. For some reason the last one seemed the most real. Ramsey rubbed his eyes trying to physically banish the visions from his head but they persisted. It was strange he could even smell the rage beast as it lumbered ever closer eyes wild and filled with murderous intent. The stench of blood and pine assaulted his nostrils and caused him to spit up in the back of his throat. He was losing it half sane and starved Ramsey had finally had enough. He knew he was going to die and this was the death he was looking for real or illusion he would have his moment. He drew his sword.

Time stood still as Ramsey and his illusion circled each other in the clearing. Ramsey clumsily brandishing his blade which was more an oversized fillet knife while the rage beast growled and snarled attempting to intimidate. Then it charged. A smart man would have simply jumped out the way as rage beasts are predictable and only charge in straight lines Ramsey however was bold and just as wild as his aggressor. He charged the beast sword in hand and yelling with vigor equal to it. As they rushed towards each other Ramsey lost his footing stumbling just before there clash. This resulted in the beast rushing over him and completely trampling his right arm. The scream that followed was loud enough to scare the birds that were spectating in the trees around them. He scraped himself up off the ground the pain sobering him from the effects of the Angel’s hair. As he tried to regain his footing he noticed the visions again shadows lurking in the trees and he knew something was watching him.

“How much of this is real?” he thought to himself the reality of the rage beast made him question all of his delusions and the reality of the rage beast was staring him down once again. He reached for his blade managing to barely lift it in his mangled sword arm. He braced himself against the trunk of a tree waiting for the beast’s next attack. The beast seemed to sense his trepidation and for a moment Ramsey would swear he saw it smirk. It charged faster and more savage then he thought possible. “So this is how it ends.” He chuckled. He closed his eyes bracing himself for the inevitable and the last thing he heard was beasts sickening roar.

For a moment all was quiet in the forest. Ramsey lay still with his eyes shut. Nothing was happening. No pain, no blood, no entrails being spewed across the plain. Was this really all death had to offer? Or was the rage beast playing some sick game with him. He was almost afraid to open his eyes and face whatever future was made. Finally he opened his eyes and what he saw would be burned into his mind forever. Silhouetted against the morning sun more clear a vision than he had ever scene was the rage beast turned over dead a large spear embedded deep into its skull over the fresh corpse was a woman staring at him with fierce yellow eyes.

Woman however was a gross underestimation for she was so much more. For one she was clearly taller than any woman he’d ever scene dwarfing not only him but the rage beast which was at least the size of a full grown war horse. Second she was beautiful those piercing eyes on a face that scholars would write about and make cherubs sing. Her long silver hair flowed in the breeze dazzling as stars in the sky. In one quick motion she wrenched the spear from the rage beast head with a sickening crunch as the bones in its skull shattered. The cracking sound brought him back to reality and the idea that he still wasn’t exactly safe. As she turned to face him he instinctually raised his blade to her in a shaky and frankly pathetic attempt to ward her off. She in turn raised her spear in kind a slow exploratory motion that somehow came off more intimidating than the entirety of the rage beast. They both stared at each other for moment the look in his eyes one of fear and confusion hers one of confidence and intent. Ramsey could not take the pressure of the stand still he rushed her with more energy than he thought he had the movement seemed to even surprise her for a brief instant. He pressed his fleeting advantage slashing at her repeatedly with his sword arm in motions that were more result of gravity and inertia than any training he received. These motions were easily sidestepped the only notable contact being a few strands of hair, soon enough he had used up whatever energy he had and collapsed the weight of past events finally registering. He managed to turn over and see her face staring down at him she seemed taller than ever. He also took notice of her body which must have been sculpted by the gods. Every inch was packed with tight lean muscle including a six pack that put even the toughest men he knew to shame. He also got a nice glance at her modesty but he was way too tired to enjoy it. She continued to stare at him with those same piercing eyes. He was sure they were the ones that stalked him all this time. Was she the shadow he saw in the trees? Was she the voice he heard on the wind? If so why did she choose now to show herself? Why did she not stop him from eating the Angel hair? Why save him from the rage beast?

“What do you want from me?” he managed to croak. She responded in some strange gibberish he couldn’t recognize. The last thing he felt was himself being lifted from the ground before he lost consciousness.

 

 

End Notes:

You have know idea how hard it was not to make a Game of Thrones reference about the night being dark and full of terrors......also comment please.

Chapter 3: Service by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

Where in which the hero Ramsey recieves some kind service....if anyone is even still reading this.

 

 

Trials Chapter 3: Service

                As Ramsey woke yellow eyes stared back at him. The same eyes that stalked his since he first entered the forest. The eyes that saved him, the eyes that haunted him. For the first time he could get a clear look at the person the eyes belonged to. She seemed even more impressive than earlier with shining hair and almond shaped eyes, bent down ever so close inspecting his damaged arm. She had seen fit to bandage it in his sleep and was now checking her work. He looked down and saw how tiny his hand was compared to hers like a child’s. As she continued her inspection Ramsey tried to comprehend his surroundings. The floor was hard stone; cold and uncomfortable. The room was dark with a modest fire as the only source of light. He looked at the ceiling noting the formed stalactites

                “So we’re in a cave are we?” he sighed. She turned her head slightly and gave him a look he couldn’t register. “You couldn’t of taken me somewhere with a bed at least?” she continued to work. “How bout some water? Or tea if you have it?” She looked at him again this time a tad sterner. “What are you doing to my arm anyway and for that matter why did you even save me? I wanted to die you know? They SENT me out here to die!” She gave no response. “All I DID was follow orders and they send me here to DIE!” suddenly a sharp pain ran up Ramsey arm and down his spine. He looked in saw her twisting his arm in her giant hand. He looked her in the eyes and the message was clear. Shut up. “Can I at least get you name?” He croaked dryly

“Kirisiala.” She said

“What?”

“Kirisiala.”

“I don’t think I can say that? Can I call you Kiri for short?” she gave no response. “Kiri it is then. My name’s Ramsey. Do you speak the common tongue?” she ignored his question and started unwrapping his bandage. “Do you talk at all Kiri?” She reached over and grabbed a bowl of green goo and began gently rubbing it on his arm. It stung. “You’ve been following me this whole time haven’t you?” She rewrapped his arm with fresh bandages made from some long rectangular leaf. “Why have you been following me?” She quietly gave him a look clearly getting annoyed again. She finished with his arm giving a satisfied nod a stood up. She left towards the cave entrance and for some reason Ramsey was compelled to follow.

Standing up Ramsey finally took in her height. At 5’10 Ramsey wasn’t a tall man but he was far from short Even still she was easily twice his size his head coming up to just under her hips. She suddenly looked a lot more intimidating. She turned towards him speaking gibberish and making a gesture that could only be recognized as stay. He instinctively took a step back before realizing he wasn’t a dog and continued. A massive hand smacked him right in the chest knocking the wind out of him. Ramsey looked up at her confused by this. She pointed a finger at the entrance and he noticed the birds flying by. He took a step forward and looked back. She nodded in assurance. He peered out the cave took his shock looked down. Way down. The cave was in the side of a mountain hundreds of feet in the air. Suddenly a blur past Ramsey and he saw the massive form of Kiri flying through the air. She let out a primal scream as she plummeted towards the earth and the last thing he saw before she disappeared into the treetops was his sword hanging from her waist like a dagger.

“Son of a bitch.” He said to himself.

Time dragged on. What was minutes felt like hours to Ramsey. He was restless. He looked at his injured arm wrapped tight and un-moveable. Whatever Kiri had done made so he couldn’t even feel it anymore. He dragged himself up and started to explore. The cave itself was pretty narrow barely enough room for two people to live comfortably and with Kiri’s above average size all bets were off. In truth it looked more like a pit stop than an actual home more a place to stop and rest for a night then move on. He looked towards the entrance again the stars were shining bright next to a crescent moon. How was it possible for a cave to be this high up? For a moment he stared at the forest below and he swore he could her shouts coming from the brush and voices on the wind. He turned around and inspected the back of the cave. The fire burned brightly but even it could only do so much against the encroaching darkness. Across from it was a pile of tender. Ramsey threw some on to stoke the flame. He noticed some sticks piled in a corner. A closer look discovered the ends were doused in some greasy substance. “Torches.” He thought to himself. He lit one carrying it in his good arm. With the confidence that came with light Ramsey decided to continue deeper into the cave. For fifteen minutes he walked all the while looking at the cave walls. Simple designs were painted on the walls rough depictions of woman fighting in an arena. Sometimes they fought each other, sometimes they fought creatures. One he recognized as a rage beast. Then he came across a symbol that looked like a crescent moon in the body of a sun. God knows what that meant. Just as Ramsey was about to head back he heard a noise. At first soft but as he drew closer he recognized it as rushing water. Curiosity getting him he continued on until he came to a small spring. In the middle of a cave how was that possible? The spring was hot and he could see steam rising even in the low light. He placed his torch on a nearby ridge and the fire took off almost startling him. It traveled in grooves of the wall lighting up the entire area. The spring was only one of many that seemed to encircle a giant waterfall inside the very mountain. He approached the edge and saw the water runoff into oblivion.

“Son of bitch.” He repeated

Ramsey disrobes seizing a much needed opportunity for a bath with whatever privacy he had. At first he was worried that he would be washed down the waterfall towards that dark oblivion but someone fortunately had the foresight to gate of the opening, plus the current wasn’t very strong. He sighed as the water from an upper pool fell over his body and he began rubbing his fingers through his dark hair and brushing away from his eyes. Never had he imagined his day would end like this. He still didn’t know what Kiri wanted but she seemed decent enough. Was this all just an act of kindness? Was she a part of some group of forest guardians that helped wayward travelers? It seemed like a fairytale but how else would you explain it? He took a deep breath and dunked his head into the water. For a few brief moments he was at peace floating in the gentle current. Suddenly he felt himself being jerked up violently and he swallowed a lungful of water. He landed on the hard ground bent over coughing and spiting up boiling water. He lurched his head upward to meet a pair of piercing yellow eyes and next to hers a pair of dazzling blue.

 

End Notes:

bum bum BUM!....also please comment

Chapter 4: Branded by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

What is this another chapter? ...cool.

 

 

Trails Chapter 4: Branded

                Lesson number 47 “Never take baths in strange places.” Admittedly that was a strange one but even now his teachers advice rained true. As Ramsey re-adjusted himself on the cave floor he came face to face with yet another woman of Amazonian proportion. This one had dazzling blue eyes like sapphires, darker skin, and stood two or three heads taller than Kiri. For a moment he just lay their shocked that there could even be someone taller than Kiri let alone another woman. They both stared at him and suddenly Ramsey remembered his nudity. In a rushed motion he clumsily covered his privates with his good hand shivering from the chill of the cave floor. They both glanced at each other with amused smiles. Ramsey stood up trying his best to look respectable which was hard to do naked, with a broken arm and shivering constantly. He reached for his clothes if only to try to warm up but was immediately stopped by the blue-eyed woman. She stared at him with a look far more haunting than he would expect. It was predatory and discerning as if she were taking stock of his very soul. The pressure she exuded seemed to force Ramsey back into a sitting position. When she was satisfied that Ramsey wouldn’t move she turned to Kiri and they starting conversing in that gibberish that he deduced was their language. Ramsey wanted to interject but every now and then the blue-eyed woman would glance back at him and he thought better of it. Kiri for her part seemed adamant about something, every now and then she would point at Ramsey and her tone was clearly more excited than blue eyes. After a moment the discussion seemed to die down and they both turned towards him. Kiri bent down and faced him eye to eye. For a moment she looked almost sad. She put her hands on Ramsey’s shoulders and brought her lips to his ear. In a soft deliberate tone she whispered “Kerla Si.”

“What does that mean?” Ramsey mumbled. Before she could answer blue eyes barked a command and Kiri shot straight up. She then stepped aside and blue eyes approached. She took his good arm and roughly jerked him from the ground suspending him above the floor. She proceeded to poke and prod all parts of his body twisting and turning him in her grasp. She inspected under his arms, under his feet and for a moment even cupped his genitals in a grip too painful to be pleasant. Ramsey tried to struggle but was silenced with applied pressure to his tender area. Finally when she was done she held him at arms-length her giant hands underneath his armpits. She stared into his eyes for a brief moment looking for something within them. Then she dropped him and he tumbled just barely managing to land on his feet. She seemed surprised by this and gave Kiri an affirming nod. Apparently Ramsey had past her little inspection. He looked back at Kiri for some sign but she said nothing her face darker than ever. Suddenly she pounced on him pinning Ramsey to the ground. He panicked jerking back and forth but she was too heavy and too strong. The blue eyed woman then produced a rope from a pouch on her person and commenced in binding his hands and feet. He was than hoisted over blue eyes shoulder and both women headed towards the cave entrance.

                The walk to the entrance was silent blues eyes carrying Ramsey in front and Kiri following behind, both woman seeming to be in their own worlds. Ramsey tried to find answers in Kiri but she seemed to be avoiding eye contact.

                “Kiri what’s happening?” Ramsey asked but she did not respond. They continued to the front arriving far faster than it took Ramsey to even reach the spring. Blue eyes than placed Ramsey next to a wall handling him far gentler than before and both woman stared at each other for a moment seeming to have some sort of internal argument. Kiri eventually relented and approached Ramsey and unbound his feet. Ramsey immediately stood up wanting to gain as much control as he could in this situation. Kiri placed a hand on his head looked down and repeated softly the words “Kerla SI” she then unbound his hands and placed a hand on his chest forcing him against the wall. Ramsey protested but a fleeting glance made him comply. She then tied his hands individually and fastened them to slits carved in the cave wall. While Kiri was busy tying intricate knots around Ramsey’s wrists blue eyes walked ever so casually towards the fire.

                Kiri finally finished her knot tying and walked towards the fire herself. Ramsey noticed two iron rods baking in the blaze that weren’t present there before. The blue-eyed woman reached into her pouch and produced a handful of colorful dust stoking the fire and turning the same shade of blue as her eyes. She then grabbed two bowls of goo that looked a lot like the stuff Kiri had used earlier only one was blue and the other yellow. Both women started painting each other in the chosen color; Kiri in yellow and blue eyes in blue. As Ramsey hung there he watched the ritual in a strange curiosity each woman painted the other in intricate designs with extreme detail. Once they finished they each grabbed a different iron and approached Ramsey the red heat contrasting the blue light coming from the ethereal flame. It didn’t take a genius to figure out what would happen next. Blue eyes approached first her expression stern and emotionless she brought the iron close hovering it inches from his face. Ramsey could feel the heat radiating from it. She moved back and forth causing him to flinch. She could see the fear in his eyes and it made her giggle.

                “No!” Ramsey shouted. “I don’t want this!” she continued to laugh delighting in his torment. He looked at Kiri hoping she would object but she just stood there quietly. He kept pleading searching in her for aid but nothing. What was all this for? Why save him just to subject him to this strange torture. Blue eyes started chanting and brought the iron towards his chest right above his heart. This was it. He looked at Kiri one last time one final shred of hope and saw her silently mouth the words.

                “Kerla Si!” he shouted at the top of his lungs. Blue eyes stopped the brand centimeters from his skin and making it sweat. She looked at him her smile turned grimace. “Kerla Si!” he said again through panicked breaths. The second time seemed to make blue eyes upset. She uttered what he was sure was a curse in her language and tossed the iron angrily into the fire. Ramsey breathed a sigh of relief as the tense situation passed. He looked back at Kiri to see her smiling tears forming in the corners of her eyes. She approached him placing a reassuring hand on the side of his cheek. She stroked him slowly as they made eye contact. He became lost in those piercing yellows, the eyes that saved him.

                “Kerla Si.” She repeated before raising her own brand towards his heart and pressing it against his tender flesh.

 

End Notes:

What will happen next?! Nobody knows.....and comment please.

Chapter 5: Servitude by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

Service takes on a whole new meaning for Ramsey.

 

 

Trials Chapter 5: Servitude

                His heart burned. Literally, the scar on his chest stung with every pulse. Ramsey stared at it; the same image he saw painted on the cave walls of a crescent moon inside of a sun. He could see the sun rise over the trees. It was morning all ready? He hadn’t slept all night. For the most part things had calmed down after the events of last night. The two women stood and talked for a short time and Ramsey noted a particular change in dynamic. It was a complete one-eighty; Kiri who had become solemn and reserved since the appearance of blue eyes became cheery and almost smug to the woman who for her own part was decidedly grouchier than before. It was almost if they had bet on who would get to brand him. Then blue eyes was gone as suddenly as she had appeared and he was alone with Kiri once more. Ramsey remained bound to the wall for the rest of the night the pain of his mark preventing him from any peace rest might have offered. He hung his head the mark consuming his thoughts. Focusing on it helped him stifle other more disturbing revelations. Why was all this happening to him? What had he done to disserve this torture? His captor didn’t seem fit to answer. After blue eyes left she retreated to the back of the cave most likely relaxing in the hot springs located there and for the rest of the night Ramsey stood there alone in the dark.

                Ramsey heard footsteps coming from the back of the cave and the distinct voice Kiri in a chipper tone obviously reflecting her joy in the night’s events. She seemed to be addressing him but Ramsey didn’t see fit to lift his head to spurned by hurt by her betrayal, but was it a betrayal really? He didn’t really even know Kiri. Still he ignored her; afraid of what might happen if he were to look in her eyes. Suddenly she slapped him in a quick bracing motion that immediately stung his cheek and even drew blood from his nose. He quickly snapped lashing out at her in rage gritting his teeth. She took one look at his feral eyes and slapped him again.

                “You bitch!” he barked through a strained jaw earning him another slap. “Dammit! Enough already!”

                “Kerla Si!” she said pressing her finger against his mark and making him spasm in pain.

                “What do you want?!” Ramsey screamed all the rage and confusion rushing out. He closed his eyes fighting the forming tears. He felt her fingers firmly grip his chin raising his head to face her. She looked down at him with those same piercing eyes almost scolding him like and angry mother. She took a few steps and turned her back to him. She was wearing some sort of robe made of white fur. In one motion she dropped her garment revealing her bare backside. Ramsey jaw dropped as he admired her naked form in awe of her musculature. Even more impressive was an intricate pattern of marks that surrounded a familiar symbol, one of a white crescent moon inside of a yellow sun. She turned to face him in all her naked glory. He looked at her face with was strangely flushed for some reason. This seemed odd to Ramsey until he became aware of his body’s reaction to her. Suddenly pain shot through his nethers as she kicked him swiftly in the groin. Ramsey buckled the bindings the only thing keeping him from collapsing on the floor.

                “What the fuck.” Ramsey groined two octaves higher than he thought he could. Then he felt his binding loosen and gravity took him to the floor’s rigid embrace. He heard a metallic clang and opened his eyes to see his blade cast at Kiri’s feet before him. He looked up at her and she looked back exspectantly. He gripped it in his good arm and used it as a prop to stand up. Again he was intimidated by the sheer ridiculousness of her size. He tried to step back but the wall stopped his retreat. She turned and picked up a spear resting in a corner. The same spear he saw her use to impale and nearly decapitate a rage beast only a day earlier. Slowly Ramsey put things together as she raised her spear in that same confident way she had before.

                “I can’t fight you.” Ramsey said looking at his bandaged sword arm. Truthfully he doubted if that would matter she was clearly stronger than he was even without the height advantage and he wasn’t exactly a ‘trained” swordsmen. The basics he learned at the academy only a foundation for a sloppy unrefined style he only used as a last resort. She noticed his apprehension and slowly approached his cast. He flinched as she gently rubbed his arm in far more expression tender than he expected. She removed a strand and all at once it fell around them. To his amazement his arm had healed to near entirety. She stepped back and faced him once more with a look of determination. Ramsey clearly wasn’t escaping his fate.

                A tense wind blew into the cave as the sun rose to a peek in the sky glowing brightly and washing Kiri in its light. She was truly a vision poised at the ready framed in the brightest of the sun and looking more angelic than ever. Ramsey for his part stood hunched one hand bracing himself against the ground his blade tilted in his sword arm draped in the shadows cast against him. He rushed her hoping to surprise like he had before but she was prepared for this easily blocking his swing with the broad of her spear. The sword cut the wood but it did not break and Ramsey found himself struggling to free it. She looked at his disapproving and pressed a giant foot against his chest. He and the sword were flung across the room crashing against the wall. Then she was on him immediately pressing her advantage quick slashes and swipes came at Ramsey in a flurry from every direction. With no blade to defend himself he was forced to dodge to the best of his ability. He ducked the first strike and rolled forward and slid clumsily between her open legs. In a panicked scramble he rushed towards his blade fallen next to the fire pit. As he grabbed for it he felt her hand on his leg and felt himself being dragged backwards. He made a desperate swipe that forced her to relent. He regained his footing shaking with unease. She stood before him proud silhouetted against the morning sun her shadow cast over him and all at once Ramsey knew he couldn’t win. Not in a thousand years would he even hope he could, but he was not a man who would so easily give into another’s will he stood proud before her sword gripped tight in his hand his body riddled with tiny cuts from her previous assault. His mark burned and for once his eyes matched hers in its determination and controlled fierceness. He only had one hope a move his teacher had taught him and one he never really practiced by himself a moved that went against everything he was taught at the academy. He took his blade in a reverse grip and bent his knees creeping forward. She intern held her spear out with both hands in a guarding position. They circled each other the fire pit separating the two and in the back of his he heard his teacher’s voice.

                “When the chips are down and fate is against you. When life has taught you its cruelty and you realize there are no heroes. When you have ran out of options and all else has failed you.” Ramsey paused for a moment preparing to strike. “YOU CHEAT!” his teacher’s voice rang loud in his ears. In a instant he kicked the entirety of the fire pit in the air the ash and soot obscuring her vision then he rushed her in a tackle raising the blade toward her throat.

 As the dust settled he found himself pressed firmly against her tight midsection his sword arm wrenched behind his back and a spear head pointed at his face. He looked up and saw Kiri smiling down at him. In a fluid motion he was pinned to the ground his sword arm held in her tight grasp and the entirety of her weight crushing his ribcage. She continued to stare and smile. For minutes he struggled but had no leverage and no energy. He soon relented and still she continued to stare not once breaking the gaze. He soon realized what she was waiting for. The words that started all this and at once he truly knew what they meant.

“Kerla Si.” He whispered and all at once he was hers.

 

End Notes:

It's almost like trusting someone who kidnapped you and that you've only known for a day is a BAD idea. I would also be interested in hearing thoughts on what people think has been happening so far as even I the author don't really know......also please comment and such.

Chapter 6: Training by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

Things are going to start picking up from here on out.

 

 

Trials Chapter 6: Training

                Kiri was strange. Ramsey had never been more conflicted about any one woman in his entire life. Not even his teacher! That really meant something. Even now Kiri was tending to his injuries. Injuries she had just inflicted on him. She slowly applied more green cream over his many shallow cuts all the while grinning and giggling like a child playing with a new toy. Soon she was finished and he found himself pressed against her as she raised him into the air and spun around in a tight embrace. She held him at arms-length and her eyes seemed less intense than before. Once again Ramsey’s natural reaction to such treatment became known causing her to drop him as she attempted to stifle her laughter. She then disappeared into the back of the cave. He was growing more confused by the minute.

                “What is with this chick?” Ramsey thought “One moment she’s beating the shit out of me the next she’s hopping around like a schoolgirl.” Kiri soon returned fully clothed in leathers that were by far the most modest garments he had ever seen her in. She handed him his uniform which to his surprise was clean. The blood in vomit had been completely washed of and for the most part it was like new except for the right arm whose sleeve was completely missing from where he had been trampled. As Ramsey dressed himself he couldn’t help but notice Kiri who was busy shuffling between the front and back of the cave retrieving different items and loading them into a large sack. He assumed their time in the cave had ended and soon they would be off to who knows where. For a moment he remembered his mission to track down the pillagers of Squall harbor. Did that even matter anymore? What would he do if he found them? Looking at Kiri he believed that with her at his side the task could be reduced to a triviality. Unfortunately he didn’t make the rules anymore she had more than proved that. He doubted she would even care. Once she was done she took the bag over her shoulder and stepped towards the cave entrance. She stopped looking over at him and gesturing for him to follow. He cautiously stepped towards the edge terrified at the drop. They must have been hundreds of feet in the air. The view was breathtaking, you could see the whole forest which went off for miles vanishing into the horizon. When he squinted he could even make out the clearing where they had first met. She placed her free hand on his shoulder and looked at him expectantly. Ramsey paused staring back at her. He shook his head. Did she really think he would jump? Her face hardened but he wouldn’t relent. She may have power over him but he would not jump to his death for anyone. Noting this she sighed and in a flash she moved her arm forward and he was pushed over the edge.

                It took a moment to register everything that had happened. Ramsey had been sent into the forest on a suicide mission. Soon after he encountered a strange and alluring woman who saved him from a death he had already accepted. He was tied up, tortured, and completely emasculated before her and when all was done he had been forced to submit to her will only to pushed by her hands toward his imminent demise. His life was some cruel joke. Ramsey turned over and saw the fast approaching earth. He closed his eyes and braced himself for the end. The landing was far softer than he had expected. He open his eyes to find himself buried in an exceptionally large pile of leaves. As he dug himself out he could hear Kiri’s trademark yell and he saw her magnificent descent. She landed with far more grace and ease than he; grabbing a low hanging branch with her hand vaulting off another be form spinning in midair and landing in front of him, all while still carrying that large assumedly heavy sack on her shoulder.

                “Show off.” Ramsey muttered. She responded almost braggingly in her language while politely offering a hand which he readily took. He was jerked out roughly by her strength and let onto the ground. She then reached into the sack and threw him his sword which had been cleaned. He strapped it to his side and followed as she beckoned him with her staff. The travel was hard for Ramsey. He wasn’t out of shape but keeping up with Kiri was workout in and of itself. She easily bounded from the branch to branch above him forcing him to run just to keep her in eyeshot. After running at a brisk pace for a straight thirty minutes she faded out of view and he increased his speed bursting through the brush and into a clearing next to a large freshwater lake. He looked around and found her kneeling by the water. He slumped down next to her taking in precious sips of water. He leaned pack using this break to catch his breath. He looked over at her in amazement. She wasn’t sweating or stretching. She wasn’t even out of breath! She started digging through her pack once again and retrieved another blade this one significantly larger than his own. She then grabbed Ramsey by the scruff of his neck in lead him towards the center of the clearing. She raised her sword at him urging him to do the same. Ramsey was worried. Was she really expecting another fight? What else did she have to prove? He raised his weapon in his same clumsy stance and she looked at him disappointed. He was getting used to that. She approached him leaning in close from behind. She started readjusting his stance moving his shoulders and spreading his legs more. It felt awkward especially with her so close. She clearly had no respect for his personal space even gripping his buttocks in order to get him to stand up straighter. When she was done she returned to her position and swung her sword in slow horizontal arc. Ramsey blocked this but compromised his stance to do so. She stopped and immediately started resetting his stance once more. Ramsey was becoming embarrassed by all this.

“I don’t need to be taught how to fight.” He said in annoyed tone. To this Kiri responded by quickly striking his sword disarming him then stepping forward sliding a foot between his legs and sweeping them leaving him on his back his sword landing in the ground inches from his face. Ramsey picked himself up and glared at her for a moment. She grinned back smugly. He could feel his face turning red.

“Fine.” He grumbled and she began adjusting his position once more.

For five days it continued like this all the while Ramsey could feel himself becoming more subservient. He was giving little food and seldom had any breaks. Kiri proved to be a far harsher instructor than even the sergeants back at the academy. Every break in his guard, every missed swing was returned with pain and often ended with him on his back. It didn’t stop at sword training either she had him running and swimming and training in hand to hand. Soon his mind was in full military mode. Keep your head down and follow orders. He only had one question. What was all this for? He had to admit he was learning. Soon he was blocking most of her attacks although he was sure she was going easy on him. The last training session ended and she had only struck him seven times. A new record! He collapsed on the ground in exhaustion. Kiri sat down next to him and started quietly running her fingers through his dark hair. It was weird. No matter how cruel she was during training she would completely change when it was over. She became gentler and almost motherly in her treatment of him. She laid down next to him and they both looked up at the night sky. She reached her hand toward it trying in vain to grasp the moon. She started to speak in her language but it was lost on Ramsey he was busy with thoughts of his own. Could he trust Kiri? Was she friend? Was she enemy? What was the purpose of the mark on his chest? It was a sign of ownership but it seemed to mean more to her. He didn’t have the answers. He found that those were in short supply these days. He felt her hand rest on his heart. It seemed to burn whenever she touched it. They saw a red comet shoot through the night sky and they both went to sleep.

 

End Notes:

I recently discovered another character named Kiri in openhighhat's popular story Titan:Physics which takes place in the same universe as Johnnyscribe's highly popular Titan story. I'm not sure if I should be embarrased by this but I do humbly apologize if I infringed on the character in anyway. Both stories are really good and worth checking out.....but I'm sure everyone already knew this rendering this end note rather pointless...Oh yeah! and please comment.

Chapter 7: Doratea by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

We leave our heroes for a moment to check up on a somewhat familair face. Don't worry they will return in the next chapter. Bonus points if you can figure out where I stole these names from.

Trials Chapter 7: Doratea

                It had been some time since Doratea had returned home. At least a month, maybe more; time seemed so hard to judge when you were in the forest. She looked around the village and smiled. It hadn’t changed. She always worried she would miss something during her travels. She looked at the temple towering over the village at its base was of statue of their goddess Celeste and her sisters. Soon she would have to stop there and report but she decided to take her time and sight see.

                The village was bustling more than normal. It was to be expected with the tournament coming up. She watched as women busied themselves preparing food and moving lumber to build the obstacles for the games. As she walked she saw a taskmaster walking a partition of prisoners bound together by chains. She walked up and happily waved to the woman.

                “Shira how are you?” she said cheerfully. The woman stopped and rubber her shoulders with a huge gauntleted hand.

                “Bored mostly.” She replied with a huge yawn

                “What’s wrong?”

                “Look around! The entire village is busy preparing for the games and I’m stuck here hauling these rejects.” She ended the sentence with a decisive kick to one of the stragglers.

                “Not a single one worthy of the arena?”

                “No most of the promising ones were picked off by the veterans. These ones here are off to be sold or trained.”

                Doratea looked at the prisoners. All men all scrawny and weak it was pathetic. She brought one to her face and looked in his eyes. She saw fear in them pure and honest.

                “Training seems a waste on them. They should just throw them in the arena.” She said. “It would be a good show to see them get slaughtered.”

                Both women chuckled at this.

                “What’s so funny?” a voice came from the prisoners. “What’s so funny about sentencing innocent people to death?”

                Doratea looked into the group to see who was brave enough to speak up. She saw one of the smaller captives the straggler glaring at her with murderous intent.

                “You’re not innocents.” Doratea replied coldly

                “You all think that your better than us because of your false god but you’re all just as savage as the rest of us!”

                “Goddess!” Doratea corrected inspecting the prisoner. She couldn’t place it but something was off about this one. He was smaller and his face was mostly covered in mud and grime but that wasn’t it something seemed different on a primal level. She grabbed the prisoner by the arm and dragged him away from the pack. Shira stared at her quizzically.

                “What are you doing?” she asked cautiously. It wasn’t really her place to question Doratea but it would break laws if she went too far.

                Doratea ignored her continuing to harass and inspect the prisoner who pleaded in protest. Finally she discovered what was so odd about him. She smiled.

                “It seems the only man with stones enough to challenge us is a woman.” She said wiping of the prisoners face showing more distinctly female features formerly hidden by the grime. By then a small crowd had gathered and even Shira was surprised by the revelation. Doratea brushed the prisoner on the cheek before letting her go to join the rest.

                “That one has potential, send her to the temple to be cleaned.” Doratea commanded and immediately two women dressed similarly to Shira emerged from the crowd and grabbed the woman easily lifting her before carrying her down the road. “Anyone else feel like speaking up. I assure you we have plenty of open spots for the arena.” The rest were silent avoiding her gaze, pathetic.

                “What could you possibly do with that one?” Asked Shiri. “She is so scrawny. She won’t last one round in the arena.”

                “She’s not going to the arena.” Doratea replied slyly before leaving Shira to her work.

 

                Finally after an eventful morning Doratea made it home. She looked at the tall building with three separated complexes that made up the main grounds. As a guardian she was afforded a larger home than usually but that wasn’t’ the reason she needed one. She opened the door and was immediately greeted by huge arms that wrapped around her possessively. Soon she was the focus of a passionate kiss with a long sensual tongue exploring the more intimate regions of throat. When the kiss finally broke Doratea looked up to see a the beautiful face of the woman she loved. Dark brown eyes wide with joy and a cute button nose framed by short black  hair.

                “Easy there Dixie” She said embracing her mate. “You’d think I was lost at sea or something?”

                “You were gone so long this time.” Dixie replied in a pout pulling into a tighter embrace.

                “And I see you aim to make sure I don’t leave again.”

                “Oops! Sorry.” Dixie said before reluctantly releasing her smaller partner.

                Dixie for her part was a legend; a former champion of the arena and a prime example of what that made you. She towered over Doratea by several feet and many of the women in the village. In battle she was a force of nature ruthlessly destroying her opponents with sheer force and was the fear of any man, woman, or creature. Doratea had fallen for her long ago but as a child she was trained to be a guardian and they were typically forbidden to marry. For years she stayed by Dixie’s side however content to support her on the sidelines sure some other lucky soul would snatch her up. Then the day came when Dixie would triumph in the arena and be granted one single wish if It were the Queen’s power. The wish was simple, the right to marry Doratea.

                “Why were you gone so long?” Dixie asked.

                “I had to track some intruders that fled inward toward our village.”

                “Did you find anyone?”

                “No most had been captured by other guardians. I had a little distraction that kept me longer than I had expected.” She said in a lackluster tone obviously trying to avoid the topic.

                Dixie sighed. Doratea could already tell that Dixie was curious but she was also far to caring to pry knowing Doratea didn’t care to talk about her work. She smiled for as fierce as she was in the arena Dixie was a kitten in real life.

                “You are terrible at hiding your emotions.” Doratea giggled. Dixie turned and blushed slightly. “The truth is I ran into Kiri out in the forest.”

                “Kiri!” Dixie shouted. “How is she? I was so worried when she went out on her own.”

                “She’s found a straggler.” Said Doratea downheartedly.

                “That’s great news!” Dixie exclaimed. “She finally has someone to bring to the arena.”

                “He’s scrawny, unfit for the arena.” Doratea replied. “I tried to claim him, make him a servant at the temple.

                “But?” asked Dixie all though she could guess the answer.

                “But she wants to fight!” Doratea almost screamed. “She thinks he’s special. She thinks she can win!” Then everything came out. “I told her to wait. I told her she was too young!” Doratea clung to Dixie crying into her chest. “I don’t want her to die!”

                “You’re a guardian Dora.” Dixie whispered softly to her distraught wife. “You have seniority over her. You can just take this man from her.”

                “It’s too late.” Doratea said trying to regain her composure. “He gave rights. He’s belongs to her now.” Doratea finally let go walking towards the window. She let the breeze flow through her hair and took in the scent of flowers from outside. “Do you think she has a chance?”

                “She is strong and determined. “ said Dixie walking over to join her. “She probably won’t win, but I don’ t think she’ll die.”

                “She’s not you.” said Doratea looking up at Dixie. “ And she’s so small.” The last word barely escaped he mouth.

                “Size isn’t everything.” Dixie said. She then picked up her wife. “Now you’ve been gone a long time and I think there’s some catching up we need to do blue eyes.” She  kissed her wife again and both women disappeared to the bedroom.

 

End Notes:

So here is anoher chapter. I'm also still working on finding grammarical mistakes in my uploads so any feedback in that regard is appreciated. Oh and bonus points have no redeemable cash value sorry...Please comment.

Chapter 8: Exhibition part one by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

This chapter is a bit longer than usual.

Trials Chapter 8: Exhibition Part 1

                Basic training at the academy had been the worst two and half months of Ramsey’s life. Running, jumping, sword training, and numerous other physical exertions had been more than a frail boy from the lower district could handle. They had almost broken him. The past month under Kiri had been far worse. He was broken, first mentally and now physically. His body hurt in places he couldn’t imagine.

                Ramsey laid at the edge of the water collapsed from exhaustion. He closed his eyes relishing in another brief respite from his training. Soon he heard the all too familiar footsteps of Kiri. He cursed to himself his break was over already. He knew what was about to happen. Against his bodies protest he quickly rolled to the left barely dodging the sting of her staff’s end. He then quickly rose up standing at attention before her. She had long ago stopped telling him when his breaks were over. She looked at him with a vague expression that almost read as approval. He braced himself ready for the impending onslaught. It never came instead she motioned for him to follow her once more and she rushed off into the forest.

                By now Ramsey had been trained to react to such things he quickly rushed after her stopping only briefly to grab the sack filled with all the gear that Kiri had brought earlier. It soon became his burden and he learned early on the punishment for leaving it behind. He soon gained a new respect for Kiri’s strength as the bag weighed at least as much as a full man and she was carrying it around one-handed with ease.

                “Shit!” he cursed to himself as he chased after her. She was breaking away from him. Even with the constant training it was hard for Ramsey. He didn’t feel like he was making any progress at all. She still outpaced him in a fashion where he was always just barely keeping up. Soon enough she had vanished into the leaves and branches and he had to rely on his own sense of direction. Traveling on the ground was getting him nowhere he looked at the trees above and made an audible gulp. Tree walking was not unheard of. If he had graduated to the next phase of scout’s training he was sure it was something he would have learned. Still looking at the trees even the lowest branches were two stories of the ground one missed step and he would most likely fall to his death. He looked back in forth. Kiri was gone; completely vanished into the surroundings. Ramsey had no choice he took hold of the tree and started to climb.

 


 

                Doratea woke up to the sun shining brightly in her eyes. She tried to move but found she was completely immobilized. She struggled only to find herself being rolled in the opposite direction. Suddenly a hand worked its way up her inner leg raising it and putting her in a fetal position.

                “Let me go. “ she said softly still trying to free herself.

                “It’s still early.” Said Dixie half asleep. “Stay in bed.” She then brought Doratea a little closer.

                “I’m a guardian Dixie. I have to oversee the games today.”

                “The arena can wait. I swear you only just returned and you already heading out to work.”

                “Dixie!” Doratea said more firmly.

                “Fine.” She relented letting go of her lover.

`               Doratea slowly rolled out of bed not wanting to break the embrace just as much as Dixie. She stood up and looked at Dixie a visible pout on her face. She leaned over and kissed her before proceeding to get dressed.

                “You know you could come with me?” She offered. “The younger girls would love to see a veteran.”

                “No.” said Dixie in a controlled monotone.“ I won’t go there till I’m called.”

                Doratea shook her head. She never understood why Dixie hated the arena so much. It was a place of honor built by the goddess herself. She looked at her face and knew Dixie was firm in this decision.

                Soon she had finished dressing choosing to wear her ceremonial blue uniform for the occasion. It was uncomfortable leather leggings and a tunic that draped down over her with small slits for the arms and head. This in turn was covered in a blue robe that ran down to her ankles. She then started attaching gold bracelets to her wrists and ankles and a gold chain around her neck.

                “You look beautiful.” Dixie said walking up behind her still naked. She then commenced to braiding Doratea’s hair in a long intricate braid that fell behind her.

                “This is all so unneccesary.” Doratea grumbled. “ Guardians need not a uniform to earn respect.”

                Dixie just kissed her on the cheek before finishing the braid and sending Doratea on her way.


 

                Doratea hated wearing her uniform. As she walked towards the arena she noticed how differently everyone treated her. She had worked hard the past twelve years since she had been formally appointed to try and build a relationship with her people. Yet as soon as she walked out in her uniform that all vanished and she was treated with the fear all who wore the blue earned.

                She removed her hood in hopes of showing that she was still a person. She could see young children look at her in awe and taskmasters would bow to her as she walked by. Even Shira who she considered a friend saluted to her. She sighed to herself. This was the same woman who got drunk with her after her inauguration and now she was treating her like the Queen. She continued on finally approaching the arena. A crowd had gathered at the gates dancing and celebrating in event that had become customary in the days before the games. They broke away as she passed giving her entrance to the arena. She walked through the tunnels and up a long flight of stairs to the upper level. She soon reached the royal box that overlooked the arena. It was mostly empty which was a rare sight. Even when the games weren’t happening it was often used as a market and trial house on occasion. She looked down and watched as woman prepared the arena for the games.

                “Parksis report.” Came a strong voice from behind her. She turned around to see the Queen herself sitting on the throne behind her.

                “Your highness!” she shrieked before bending to one knee in respect to her. “All glory be to you.”

                Celina Dartaneus was the benevolent queen of the Emerald Forest, great-granddaughter of the Goddess Milani, and ruler of the amazons as outsiders described them. She was also one of Doratea’s closest friends and one of Dixie’s most hated rivals. She was easily the most impressive woman Doratea had ever known heads taller than even Dixie. It was the royal blood that ran through the veins of all that were descended the gods and it what cemented their rule for generation. Doratea being of average build only came up to just under her knees. The queen stared at her for a tense moment.

                “Rise Dora.” She chuckled and gestured for her to come closer.

                Doratea winced to herself at the familiarity. Only three people in the world were allowed to call her Dora and Dixie hated that one of them was Celina. She came to the queens foot and felt one massive hand wrap around her. She looked into the queens silver eyes and saw the smile that formed on her face.

                “What news do you have from your hunt?” she said still holding Doratea.

                “Nothing to report your highness.” She gasped nervously. “The trespassers have all been caught.”

                “And what of your sister and the man she found.”

                Doratea heart skipped. She was ashamed she was even shocked. Of course Celina would know.

                “She has chosen to compete this year your highness.” The words fought her even as she spoke them.

                “She is brave. Just like her sister.” She said bring Doratea closer to her face.

                “She’s a fool!” Doratea blurted out of reaction. She then covered her mouth in shame for her disrespect.

                “Relax Dora.” The queen said placing her on her armrest. “You can speak freely.”

                “I think she should wait.”

The queen looked down at her knowingly.

                “All you have to do is ask.” She said calmly.

                Doratea looked at her in awe. This one act would break the sacred rights of the arena passed down from Celeste herself. The queen could forbid someone but it would be held under intense scrutiny and could even lead to rebellion. The fact that Celina would even risk that for her showed how much she still cared.

                “I can’t do that to her.” Doratea choked out.

                The queen didn’t seem very surprised. She picked up Doratea again and rubbed her back with her free hand. She then placed her back on the ground at her feet.

                “You are dismissed Parksis.”

 

End Notes:

Part 2 coming soon. Please comment

Chapter 9: Exhibition part two by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

What? Two chapters in one day OMG!

Trials Chapter 9: Exhibition Part 2

                The games had finally started. It had been late in the afternoon and people were flooding into the arena. Doratea was busy in easily the most boring part of her job crowd control. She had dropped the robe and was not down to the uniform underneath. This seemed to ease the tension of the people around her while still showing her authority. She continued guiding the villagers into the arena scanning through the crowd for Kiri. She was hoping to find her and try to convince her not to join one last time but she was nowhere to be found.

                Finally the last commoner had entered and Doratea was forced into the next phase of her assignment; escorting the dignitaries. Over the years the games became an example to foreign powers of the strength of the amazons. Certain ambassadors and other foreign diplomats were allowed to observe the games in an attempt at peace and of warning to what waited for them if they ever dared to engage in war. She hurried to the gates to greet the diplomats. She looked down at them. It was easy to forget how small humans were. The tallest of them a man only came up to her chest he was gruff and strongly built. He also had the red facial hair that marked him as a man of the north. Somehow that was impressive. She silently wished that this man had been chosen as her sister’s partner.

                “This is my first time attending the games.” He said in a thick northern accent “Woman fighting is something worth seeing.”

                “Is it really that amazing?” Said a woman with light skin and strange red markings on her face and hands.

                “Where I come from woman are mostly confined to the kitchen.” He laughed heartily.

                “It would be interesting to see the legendary amazon military prowess.” Said a smaller thin man with balding grey hair and long robes.

                Doratea lead them to their own special viewing box next to the Queen’s private box. She then pointed out a spread of food that had been provided for them.

                “The Queen sends her regards and hopes you enjoy the games.” She said with rehearsed cheerfulness. She then exited leaving the diplomats to their chatter.

                She was happy to leave them. She hated humans. Something about them seemed so shifty. It was ironic that she had been the one in charge of them. She headed towards the queen’s box and was blocked by the royal guards.

                “Nobody is allowed to visit her majesty at this moment.” One spoke

                “Why?” she asked defiantly.

                “She is currently in talks with her highness Queen Lucinda Qwalis.”

                “She may enter!” boomed Celina and both guards stepped aside.

                Doratea entered with apprehension as she saw her queen and the queen of men sitting before her. Lucinda was not at all what she expected. She assumed the queen of men was an old crone grey haired and weak. What she saw was a girl younger than herself with shining blonde hair and green eyes like emeralds. She had an air about her that somehow seemed equal to Celina despite her small stature. She sat in her own ornate throne the whole of which sat on a table in front of Celina. The contrast was striking. She looked like a doll next to the queen’s formidable stature. She rose to address Doratea.

                “You must be Doratea.” She said in a quiet mouse like voice. “Celina has told me a lot about you.”  She motioned for her to join them.

                Doratea paused and looked at her queen for approval. Celina nodded and Doratea jumped up onto the table and sat next to Lucinda her legs hanging over the edge. The three woman had a perfect view of the arena as the opening ceremony came to an end.

                “I’m afraid I can’t stay long your highnesses.” She dared to utter. “ I only came to notify the queen of the diplomats arrival.”

                “Surely you can stay for the first match?” Lucinda spoke looking up at her hopefully.

                “I really must get back to my guard your highness.”

                “Nonsense!” the Celina barked. “You will stay for the first match.”

                There was no arguing with that and all three sat and watched as contestants entered the arena leading the pack of fighters was Dixie.


 

                Dixie hated the arena. She hated the violence, she hated the cruelty, she hated seeing the youngest and brightest of her culture maimed in slaughtered in a primitive display for the goddess. She always thought of them as more kind than that. Most of all she hated how it brought out the worst in her. She remembered all the people she had slaughtered in her savagery. She still saw their faces in her dreams at night. She looked at the newcomers with sad eyes. As a veteran she was expected to be present as a coach for the rookies. She separated as more competitors funneled in and took her place on the podium. There she stood as one of the select few one of the champions of the arena.

                She surveyed the crowd in the stands above her. They all cheered in excitement for the games. She saw the common folk in the lower stands and the elites in the boxes above. Then she saw something that almost made her scream. In the royal’s box Doratea sitting eerily close to their queen.

                “That bitch.” She said under her breath. She could feel the rage building in her. It was what allowed her to triumph in the arena and now it was calling to her telling her run of there and strangle Celina by the throat. Then Doratea waved at her and suddenly her rage subsided. In the end the queen could never come between them. She waved back and blew her a kiss. Doratea blushed and the queen grimaced slightly. Soon the arena was filled and one hundred warriors from all over the world stood before her and the rest of the veterans. She looked at her fellow veterans and a truth became uncannily apparent; no matter who competed the victor was always amazon.

                The exhibition was going to start soon and it was up to the veterans to choose who would fight in the opening match. A priest came up to the stand in her hands was basket filled with different multicolored marbles. On each one was a name of a participant. She stopped in front of each veteran and the names were called off. Soon it was her turn and the priestess lifted the basket for Dixie to choose. She reached in and pulled out a shiny yellow rock. On it read Kirisiala Parksis.

 

End Notes:

So we haven't seen much of Ramsey lately but fear not Ramsey fans for he is the star of the next chapter....Please comment

Chapter 10: Exhibition part three by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

Behold the next exciting chapter starring Ramsey Lench.

Trials Chapter 10: Exhibition part 3

                The rules of the arena had changed since Dixie had competed. In the past the opening games were a savage free for all where the weak were slaughtered all at once and the toughest moved on. As time went by and more outsiders joined amazons were allowed to compete with foreign partners. This was mostly to promote foreign relations but most outsiders would be overwhelmed in the first round. This caused discontent among the neighboring nations bringing them on the verge of war with the amazons. In order to stave off warfare a new opening round was formed. Amazons would be chosen at random and their partners would take place in the first match. This was seen as earning their place in the games and helped stem some of the bloodshed. So when Dixie pulled Kiri’s name it was not her who would fight but the short unassuming man in military uniform next to her.


                The past day had been hell for Ramsey. Tree walking was not something done easily and had taken a lot from him. The heights alone left him shaken. When he had finally caught up to Kiri she did not even seem worried. It was as if this was expected of him. He found her reactions to be more confusing than ever. The rest of the day was spent training on the outskirts of the village.

                He looked up a Kiri. She was silent as the warriors around them dispersed. Ramsey was amazed at the size of these women. It became clear that for all of Kiri’s amazing size she was below average. Some of these women easily broke fifteen feet. That didn’t even count for the ones standing on the stage before him. One woman in particular stood heads and shoulders above the rest. He doubted he even came up to her knees. He took in the splendor of arena, the noise of the crowd deafened his ears. He found it hard to breath. All these impressive woman gathered together created a pressure that was almost unbearable. He felt like he would break.

                Soon the arena had been cleared and only ten pairs remained. Ramsey assumed their names had also been called. Kiri knelt down and looked him in his eyes. She had a serious air about her and they lingered there for moment the gravity of the situation communicated in her eyes. He was still confused by everything but he gave her an assured nod that showed more confidence than he had. She didn’t look exactly confident herself as she turned away from him. Suddenly a word was uttered by a woman atop the podium clad in robes. At that signal Kiri and the other amazons left the arena leaving him alone with what he easily considered the strangest and most intimidating group of people he had ever seen.

                One was a human. A man standing twice his size and built like an ox he may have even been taller than Kiri. He carried a large hammer one handed over his shoulder. Another was an ogre greenish brown fur covering its back. It had large canines and was the size of a bear. Some looked like prisoners deranged murderous looks on their faces. And the last he noticed was an elfin woman. She was thin and beautiful. Compared to these titans Ramsey felt like a child. He clutched his sword nervously as he was sized up in turn. He noticed some of them snickering.

                The robed woman spoke again and all the warriors grouped inside an area marked by a large white circle. All except Ramsey who stood there with a vacant expression which earned a laugh from the audience. He realized his mistake and went to join the others. Was he really the only one to make this mistake? It seemed all the other warriors knew the Amazonian language, even the ogre! He cursed to himself as he took his place.

                The robed woman spoke again and the warriors broke off into pairs; the elf with the large man, a pair of psychopathic murders, and him with the ogre. Ramsey hoped that didn’t mean what he thought it meant. Then the woman on the podium came down and approached the pairs. The largest of which approached them. At close she was truly massive. He looked up and saw her kneecaps. Even as she bent down he could only see her chest. She stared down and inspected them both. The ogre let out a guttural roar making the amazon sneer. She then looked at Ramsey. Hard. He had been judged like this before and he was beginning to grow tired of it. He copied the ogre giving his best battle cry which came out rather pathetic and raspy. Both the ogre and amazon laughed at him. This was happening too often. She produced a rope and bound the two’s hands together. When that was done her and the rest of the amazons exited leaving them alone in the arena.

                Ramsey surveyed the arena to see the other pairs and been bound in a similar fashion. Then Ramsey noticed something else. The quiet; the crowd had gone eerily quiet. Then drums began to sound in powerful rhythms. A loud grinding sound could be heard and then chains ringing through the air. The ogre turned forcing him to turn as well as a large gate opened. Then a pounding came. It was the drums again. The pounding got louder and Ramsey realized it wasn’t the drums. Suddenly with a loud crash a monster larger than any he had seen crashed through the gates. It was something he had come to fear more than anything., it was known to make grown men cry like babes. It sent a chill down his spine and even the large man stood shocked. For before them was a legendary stone giant.

 

End Notes:

I'm actually a bit nervous about this one since I haven't wrote for Ramsey in a while. I'm trying to make him seem outclassed without being a wimp hopefully that comes across to you reader...As always please comment.

Chapter 11: Blood from Stone by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

Another chapter for the five people who are still following this story.

Trials Chapter 11: Blood from Stone

                A stone giant is a massive beast made from the very earth itself. They are legendary creatures considered one of the ancients the original beings of creation before the time of the gods. Some even called them Titans. They stood taller than buildings and could crush a man in their hands.

                Ramsey was frozen. He had heard stories of these creatures: massive golems that could slaughter whole battalions single-handedly. He had never seen one in real life. Was this the power of the amazons? If they could of capturing such a monster what more were these women capable of. The giant lumbered towards them molten earth flowing through its veins and dripping from its maw. It lifted its granite foot to crush him flat.


                Doratea was not surprised. Ever since her inauguration Celina had taken a great interest in the games creating new and “exciting” events. Still a stone giant in the exhibition match was a bit much. She watched as Kiri’s little partner stood frozen as the golem rampaged around the arena. Part of her was actually happy to see this. If the man was too weak to even pass the exhibition Kiri might give up on the games this year.

                “I’ve never seen a stone giant before.” Spoke Queen Lucinda with childlike delight

                “Our games are host to many exotic creatures.” Celina bragged. “A stone giant is only the beginning.

                This made Doratea nervous. Celina had that familiar glint in her eye that craved for the bloodshed that had been present when she herself competed in the games. Doratea was not shy to blood in the arena, the violence was a cleansing of the spirit and a reminder of their heritage, but Celina took it to an extreme. She choose to follow the path of Volsta goddess Celeste’s older sister said to be a fierce warrior and ruler of death. She was said to appear when an amazon died in battle to usher her on to the next life. Those who followed Volsta believed death on the battlefield should be cherished above all else.

                “You don’t think this is a bit much for the opening fight?” Doratea tested.

                “If they can’t even handle one rock giant then death in the arena is too good for them.”

                Doratea was torn she couldn’t go against Celina as a guardian she was sworn to serve her. Yet this was going too far. She was going to speak up when a loud slam came from the doorway.

                “What do you think you’re doing?!” yelled Dixie as she barged her way in.


                While Ramsey might have been a petrified mess but the ogre he was tied to was far more capable. It deftly avoided the golem’s footfall dragging Ramsey along with it. It was quicker than Ramsey gave it credit for nimbly dodging the steps and weaving back and forth. It howled a loud roar before pulling out its oversized axe and rushing the beast with wild abandon. The axe struck true hitting its mark with the force of a bull rhino. The ogre looked satisfied noticing the dent it left on the giant’s body. It raised the mighty blade again prepped for another blow when the axe shattered into tiny pieces in the ogres grip.

                The ogre was not pleased by this raging and thrashing against the stone giant with its bare hands. The giant barely seemed to even register these attempts.  It bellowed wildly spewing hot magma across the arena. The ogre continued in earnest to damage the giant Ramsey still a dead weight on its arm.

 


                “Wake up you idiot!” Kiri thought. All she could do was watch as Ramsey was flung to and fro at the whim of a mad ogre. He hadn’t quite lived up to her expectations but he had survived her training. He even managed to surprise her when she ditched him in the forest. It was meant to be survival training but somehow the squirt had managed to catch up with her, if only barely. Now he was frozen in fear before a one stone giant. That was pathetic!

                “Wake up you IDIOT!” she shouted.


                “Wake up you IDIOT!” he heard and suddenly he was back. Freed from the fear trance the stone giant had put him in. He tried to regain some composure which is hard when you’re attached to an ogre. He reached for his blade and swung at the ropes trying to free himself. They wouldn’t give.

                “What the hell?!” he said. The rope was made of some magic super fiber. “Shiiit.” He swore.

                The ogre seemed to notice Ramsey new lucidity and stopped its savage and ineffective assault on the giant. It looked down on him with contempt snorting in dissatisfaction.

                “Got plan?” it said in a guttural monotone.

                ‘Not really.” Ramsey replied.

`


                Alaster jumped into the fray. The giant had seen fit to torch the field with its volcanic vomit no longer content to let the ogre flail at it. He moved forward only to be yanked back by his partner.  

                “We’ve got to move woman.” He spat but his partner the elf didn’t see fit to travel.

                “Stay where you are and we may live through this.” She replied coldly.

                “I don’t take orders from women.” He retorted lunging towards the beast. He once again was yanked back as the elf resisted. “Dammit woman I will drag you to glory if I have to.”

                Alaster continued forward albeit at a considerable slower pace as the elf woman struggled all the while not noticing the light emanating from her eyes. The rock giant however did and took in air as it began its next fiery spasm. A molten stream of hyper heated death was catapulted toward them and Alaster was sure his day had come. He closed his eyes and prepared for the reapers cold embrace.


                For a time Ramsey was sure he had seen it all but the more time spent in the Amazonian world the more wrong he was proven to be. He saw two of the competitors be engulfed in magma and was sure they were done for. Yet as the lava settled it if formed a dome that began to peel streams of blue light flowing from the cracks. The dome ruptured completely and he could see the two protected by some sort of magic shield. The elf was a mage. Ramsey could see her making elaborate hand gestures and suddenly the light was absorbed into her and shot back and the giant staggering it. She then collapsed onto the arena floor.

                “RAMSEY DUCK!” Kiri shouted causing Ramsey look up. The magical attack had shot off one of the giants arms and it was headed straight for them. Both Ramsey and the ogre took off in opposite directions and were forced back into each other. The arm catapulted toward them before hitting the ground and bouncing over their heads. The giant gripped its side roaring in pain as lava drained from its wound. The crowd roared in excitement.

                “THE CHEST RAMSEY, AIM FOR THE CHEST!” Ramsey looked and sure enough a large crack had appeared in the giant’s chest flashing and leaking yellow fire. He looked at his oafish partner.

                “I think I do have a plan.


                “What the hell was that?” Alaster yelled as the elf came to.

                “Magic.” Was her simple answer.

                “And why didn’t you do that to begin with woman?”

                “Magic takes time and CONSENTRATION you fool. She forcibly brushed past Alaster. “And the name’s Dawn not woman.” Dawn began readying another spell.

                “Stop!” yelled Ramsey he and the ogre rushed to join them.

                “So the human decided to join us.” Said Dawn.

                “Don’t cast another spell.” He said between breaths.

                “He have plan.” Said the ogre.


                “This is suicide.” Ramsey said.

                “Hey it’s your idea.” Said Alaster with dark amusement

                ‘READY.” Said the ogre

                “Ready.’ Said Dawn

                “This is suicide.” Repeated Ramsey


                “You’ve forgotten your place Storne.” Celina commanded.

                “That’s Parksis!” said Dixie entering the room. She had an air all her own and for a moment she was the warrior from the past the former champion Diloras Alexia Storne.

                “You are far too familiar when addressing your Queen.”

                Dixie bowed begrudgingly not raising until the Celina permitted.

                “Rise Dixie.” She said with the controlled authority that comes with a lifetime of leadership. Celina was a force of nature and her presence alone faltered the weak willed. This didn’t impress Dixie. She looked at Celina with contempt.

                “You’ve always taken things to far your highness.” Dixie replied not masking the hate in her voice.” She walked over to join Doratea.

                “You’ve lost your fire Dixie; there was a time when the wrath of a stone giant like that of a kitten before you and you relished in the blood of the arena.”

                “That was a long time ago Celina, things have changed since then you know that.” She wrapped her arms around Doratea possessively earning a sneer from the queen.

                “Dixie what are you doing here?” asked Doratea. She brushed a hand against Dixie concerned. Dixie rarely got angry.

                “Who is this?” inquired Lucinda. She had leaned onto the edge of her throne a bemused look on her face.

                “Umm this is Dixie.” Doratea answered. “She is-“suddenly a loud roar filled the arena. All four women suddenly turned their attention back towards the arena. The stone giants arm had just been blown off.

                “I’ve never seen such magic!” Squealed Lucinda excitedly it was apparent she had quickly become a fan of the games.

                Doratea looked over the edge. A small group had gathered under the giants including Kiri’s soldier. They had set themselves up in different positions as the stone giant recovered, more light emanating from the elf. Then the solder was lifted into the air by the ogre and hurled at the stone giants exposed torso.

                “What a fool.” Said Doratea as the solder vanished into the hot magma. Then the giant started to shake as blue light poured from the cracks in its body the lava that poured openly from its wound crackled with the sparks of the elf’s powerful magic. The crowd went silent as the giant continued to shake and spasm and suddenly it exploded outward in chunks scattering into the audience a large slab heading straight for their very box.

                Before anyone she knew what was happening Doratea was shoved aside as Dixie leap up onto the edge. In one swift motion she pressed her fist into the boulder bursting it into tiny particles.

                “GLORIOUS!” cried Lucinda. The crowd erupted in cheers along with her.


                “I’m still alive?” Ramsey mumbled amongst the debris of the stone giant. He couldn’t believe the elf’s magic actually worked. He tried to stand but his body wouldn’t stop shaking. He collapsed back onto the ground. Suddenly he was hoisted into the air. His ears rang from the noise of the crowd. “I’m still alive.”

                He looked back to see the ogre had lifted him in celebration of their victory all around him were the warriors who had fought with him, even the murder twins and two others who were mysteriously absent from the chaos. The gates opened and the amazons entered the arena heading the pack was Kiri who rushed over to his side. She wrenched him from the ogres grip and embraced him readily.

                This past time with her had been so confusing and he still had so many questions but one rang in his head more than the others.

                “So you do speak English?” He said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

This chapter was tough to write. My first major action scene and from multiple perspectives too. I kind of feel like the stone giant wasn't really that threatening so I'll have to work on that in the future....anyway the last part is kind of a preview of the next chapter and as always I appreciate any feedback anyone feels like giving.Things will be calming down n the nect chapter.

Chapter 12: Teacher by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

We look in on a character that was introduced lightly a few chapters ago and see someone from Ramsey's past return...and other things happen too.

Trails Chapter 12: Teacher

                “So were back to the silent treatment.” Said Ramsey as they walked through the market.” After the outburst during the match Kiri hadn’t seen fit to utter another word. He would ask a question and she would reply in her Amazonian blather.

                “I know you speak English.” He said. “That was you in the arena. Duck you IDIOT! Remember? Aim for the chest?” Ramsey accented his statement by grasping is chest imitating the stone giant. She looked back with a confused expression.

                “Dinner.” She said earning an equally confused expression from Ramsey.

                “What?”

                “Dinner.” She repeated slightly more annoyed. She beckoned him and they continued along the road.

                As they continued Ramsey finally took in the village. It was truly marvelous. It was a world on a completely different scale. As he walked he was in a sea of legs. It became painfully obvious that size wise Kiri was nothing impressive. Compared to the other amazons she could even be called short. This of course made him feel like a child a fact that was cemented when two young girls came up to greet Kiri. One jumped right into her arms and they chattered eagerly while the other one stared at him. She slowly walked over and inspected him. She raised her hand to her head and then to his.

                “Yes you’re taller.” He said dryly. She giggled at this and said something in Amazonian and all three girls laughed. Ramsey was getting used to this.

                “Lola, Mycale.” Came a male voice. Ramsey saw a tall man weaving through the crowd. He was significantly shorter than Kiri but was taller than the two girls. He was bare chested and he could see a mark burned on his arm it was of a bird clutching a snake in its talons. He gave the girls a scolding look and said something to Kiri. The girls immediately went to his side. He continued lecturing them even bringing one to tears. He brushed her face and reassured her and suddenly she lifted him into the air in a tight hug. It was oddly disorienting seeing a young girl lift a full groan man. The girl put him down and all three disappeared into the crowd.

                “Who was that?” Ramsey asked.

                “Kerla Si.”


                It had been a month since Ellie was sent to the temple. She had been made a slave and ordered to clean the shrines. Every day she would wipe the floors, scrub the walls, polish the bronze and relight the thousands of candles that surrounded their accursed statues. It wasn’t easy living but it beat the alternative.

                The temple was an insult to her. She had to learn their ways and pray to their “goddesses”. She chose Milani since her teachings followed closest to her own religion. Apparently Milani was the youngest of the sisters and the goddess of compassion and joy. She taught peace and caring for all things. She was also the goddess of life and nature. You would pray to her during feasts or before a hunt or even for a healthy child. Being a lynx this made the most sense to her.

Still she hated it. She longed to be running through the forest with her brothers and sisters on a good hunt. She wondered what it was like without her. She was part of the pursuit team easily one of the most important roles. They were in charge of cornering the pray so an alpha could make the killing blow. She remembered how hard she had worked running every day to increase her speed. Working with her brothers on maneuvers until it was dark out. Those days seemed so far away. Now she was stuck her cleaning floors. If it were anyplace else she would have escaped by now: clawed a guard’s throat out and fled into the night, but these amazons were different. They were stronger than orcs, faster than lynx, and smarter than humans. She was trapped.

She was charged with cleaning the entrance today and was adamant to prolong it for as long as possible. Entrance was the easiest place to clean just a long oversized hallway. No statues, no candles and another team cleaned the ceilings. If she made a production of it she could get away with entrance duty all day. It was the closest thing she got to a break. She was making a particular show about how tired she was when in truth she had been laying on the ground when she got a swift kick to the side by a guard. She hissed back baring her fangs and unsheathing her claws which earned her another swift kick and then she was lifted by the scruff of her neck. She immediately knew who it was.

“Shira!” she said with murderous intent. She made futile attempts to scratch at her but the amazon’s reach was too great.

“I normally turn a blind eye to your slacking off because somehow you manage to clean this place better than the other slaves all the same.”

“But?” Ellie hissed.

“But today were expecting guests and if this place isn’t clean by the time they arrive then it’s my ass not yours so no slacking off today.” She commanded. She then placed her back on the ground and gently scratched a spot behind her ears. To Ellie’s embarrassment she started to purr a gesture not missed by Shira causing her to giggle slightly. The whole moment felt like being scolded by her mother. She immediately swatted her hand away and went to continue working with an increased vigor. If she finished early they might let her spend the rest of the day praying that was almost like a break too.


Ramsey was surprised he was surprised. Seeing that man was like noticing food in someone’s teeth; once you know it’s there you can’t not see it. Suddenly the men in the village became obvious. They were everywhere; carrying basket, tending to children, cooking. How had he not noticed this earlier? It was also clear by the way the woman towered over them they were not amazon. In hind sight it was obvious, inevitable really. Amazons had to come from somewhere. What really worried him was that word “Kerla Si.” That Kiri had used. He thought it meant service but as he looked around he saw that all the men had similar marks like his. He touched his chest and his heart burned as fresh as the day he was branded. What did all of this mean for him? The men here were clearly not the ones in charge. Even now he saw an amazon leading on by a chain like a dog. Another man seemed to belong to not one but a pair of amazons both of which looked younger than he was. He looked at Kiri as she strode along stoic and calm. It was clear who the master was in their relationship. Still he was starting to see it as more of a partnership and he hoped she did as well.

Soon they had reached a rather large temple on the edge of the village. The amazons here seemed more important somehow. They were either dressed in heavy armor and armed or wore sleek robes and elaborate body paint that reminded him of his branding night. He also noticed a number of people mostly women dressed in lesser robes and rags. Slaves. He could feel his chest burning for an entirely different reason. As they entered the temple he could feel his blood rising. What would a proud race like the amazons need with slaves?

Kiri noticed him tense up and looked at him concerned. He tried his best to mask his emotions but he could tell she knew something was bothering him.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Was all he said.

They continued until they reached a large room. The floor was made of marble and shined like it had just been polished and the ceiling was covered in an elaborate mural at the center was a familiar symbol of a crescent moon inside of a burning sun. In the corner was a rather large dining table filled with food. Ramsey could smell the seasoned chicken; it made his mouth water. He suddenly became aware of how long it had been since he’d eaten. He eyed the spread greedily only to be broken from his trance by the sound of large footsteps. He looked behind them to see someone he thought he’d never see again. Her majesty the Queen Lucinda Qwalis walking down the hall beside her was Blue eyes and the large amazon from the arena.

“Your majesty!” he said. He bowed to her reacting on instinct and training. The queen smiled amusedly and took a seat at the table.

Kiri seemed insulted by this and shot him a glare that could frighten death itself. She yanked him off the ground and threw him across the room. He slammed with a thud into a column and he felt some of his bones crack.

“Dammit!” he said bracing himself with his sword. He was just about fed up with Kiri and her mood swings. He reached for his sword but before he could Kiri was on him seizing him by the throat and lifting him into the air. He looked into her eyes and it was clear she was pissed off.

“Kerla Si!” she shouted

“I’m not your SLAVE!” he shouted back.

They both paused for a moment.

“It’s clear I’ve been too easy on you.” She said coldly in clear English.

“The only thing clear here is that you need to stop over reacting so much.” Came a voice that was all too familiar to Ramsey. It was a voice that raised him. It was a voice that was always in his head. Another amazon entered the room with long blonde hair tied in a ponytail decorated in jewels. She wore a light blue robe and had white body paint over her left arm in an intricate winding pattern. “And that my former student is still an idiot.” She said looking Ramsey in the eye.

“What did I tell you about joining the military?”

 

End Notes:

Whooo a new character enters the fray! Anyway here is another chapter. I'd like to thank all those who read this story and a special thanks to those who comment as it keeps me motivated. I will try to upload more frequently..I'll TRY. Also let me know if you like Ellie I've had plans for her since the begining but as I was reviewing her parts in the story they can be easily dropped so let me know if you want to see more of her... Well this was kinda long for and end note sorry. My feeling won't be hurt if you just skipped over this. I won't even know.

Chapter 13: Lesson by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

In this chapter Ramsey learns some things. Not really very good things either.

Trials Chapter 13: Lesson

                Ramsey did not recognize the woman standing before him as his teacher. His teacher was old. She wasn’t. His teacher was short. She wasn’t. His teacher was frail. She wasn’t. The woman he knew as Lillian Merthwood was a mean, crotchety, old librarian who was barely five feet tall and walked with a cane. Not this young, athletic, beautiful woman who looked like she could arm wrestle and ogre and WIN! Her voice was his only clue. It was that voice that had found him when he was a young useless retch. It was that voice that raised him; made him the man he was today. It was that voice that belonged to the closest thing he could call a mother. It was smooth and wise with a bit of sharpness and confidence that made you feel like a child. Only now the confidence that was once tempered by age and experience was now on full display in proud Amazonian glory.

                “You’ve…aged well.” He rasped rubbing his tender neck.

                “You have always been and forever shall remain a fool Ramsey Lench.” she knelt down to face her student for the first time in three years. “What was the point in teaching you if you never learn?”

                “What happened to you? What are you doing here?”

                Lillian sighed looking down at Ramsey. In many ways he was still that poor lost boy she’d taken pity on all those years ago. “I would never in all my days have wished this fate on you boy.” Ramsey’s eyes widened slightly.

                “What are you talking about?” he asked. Lillian gestured towards Blue eyes.

                “Doratea, might I take these two for a while? It is clear they need educating.” Blue eyes briefly glanced at the large amazon next to her and gave a quick nod.

                “Might I speak to him first?” Queen Lucinda rose from her seat and stepped forward. She approached Ramsey who tried to kneel once more in reverence.

                “I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” She pointed to Kiri whose expression had soured. She looked Ramsey in the eyes and smiled. “Imagine my surprise when I saw one of my soldiers had made it this deep into the forest.”

She took in his appearance. He was a disheveled heap. Parts of his uniform were torn, his right sleeve had completely burnt off, and he looked to bit in quite a bit of pain as he clutched his left side.

                “I think you cracked a rib.” She observed in a light almost childish tone.

                ”Maybe.” Was all Ramsey could muster. Lucinda continued to inspect Ramsey like almost every women he’d encountered in the last month. She stopped and took hold of his badge which had a flying sparrow plated in bronze sown onto to it.

                “Your one of Tyson’s men aren’t you?” Ramsey was surprised she knew his commanding officer Tyson Slate.

                “Private second class Ramsey Lench of her highness foreign scouting division ma’am.” He recited.

                “Well private Ramsey.” She chuckled. “You are no longer just a soldier but an ambassador for my kingdom.” Ramsey remained silent.

                “You must show these amazons the strength of the Qwailis empire.” She gave him a devilish smile. “I have high hopes for you Ramsey Lench.” The queen then turned and walked back to her seat.

 

“Come with me.” Lillian beckoned. Both Ramsey and Kiri followed her out of the dining area and into a side hallway.

                “Lily what is happening?” Ramsey asked desperately hoping to finally get some answers.

                “Have you even once wondered why you’re here Ramsey?”

                “I have asked a few times but this one won’t give me any answers.” He pointed his thumb up at Kiri who immediately slapped the back of his head.

                “Enough Kirisiala!” the amazon shot straight up at the reprimand and fell in line behind them. Ramsey was shocked by the reaction. Who exactly was Lily to these people?

                “You have no idea what you’ve gotten yourself into.” She said as they neared a doorway. The trio entered a room significantly smaller than the dining area but still quite large. The temperature was quite a bit higher than normal and Ramsey soon noticed half the room was filled with water.

                “Take of your clothes.” She said. Ramsey was justifiably hesitant at this.

                “I don’t think that’s-“

                “TAKE THEM OFF!” she ordered. “Dammit Ramsey if you’re going to survive this the first thing you’re going to need to learn is obedience.” He disrobed revealing the mark on his chest. He turned his back slightly trying to cover his modesty.

                “Now’s not the time to be embarrassed boy.” She swatted his hands away revealing his manhood. “You too.” She said pointing to Kiri. She undressed quickly revealing her own similar mark on her back. Once again Ramsey had to appreciate her beauty. The muscle complemented with her curves created an ideal and beautiful image he could stare at for hours. His body reacted like one might think. This time his teacher kicked him in the balls crumpling him to his knees.

                “SHIT!” he shouted.

                “Now’s not the time for that either.” Lily said. She walked over and inspected the mark on his chest. He flinched as she pressed her hand to it but this time it did not burn.

                “Have you told him what this means?” she asked Kiri. She responded in Amazonian a long string of words that went right over Ramsey’s head.

                “In English Kirisiala!”

Kiri bit her lip for a moment and looked at Ramsey worriedly.

                “Kerla Si.” She whispered.

                “She owns me?” he guessed. Lillian looked at her displeased.

                “You’ve only seen fit to lie to this poor boy.”

                “It’s not a lie!” she objected.

                “It’s not the truth either.” She bent down to Ramsey who was more scared than he had ever been. She placed a hand on his shoulder. He seemed so tiny to her. Lillian hugged her student for the first time in three years.

                “Ramsey you are a slave.”

                There was that word. It was a word he had tried to avoid through this entire ordeal. It was the one thing he never wanted to be again yet in the back of his mind he had always known what it was he had become.

                “I-I know.” He replied.

                “Not just a slave Ramsey but a Kerla Si.”

                “I don’t know what that means.”

                “How did you first meet Kiri?” Lillian asked.

                “She saved my life.”

                “How?”

                “You would be disappointed in me.” He said. “I had gotten lost and was about to starve to death. I accidentally ate some angel hair and spent a night sick and delirious. The next morning I was attacked by a rage beast. She slew it before it could kill me.”

                Lillian looked at Kiri and sighed. “So he owed you a life debt?” Kiri nodded in compliance.

                “And you saw fit to give him the rights in exchange.” She nodded again.

                “Is he trained?” Another nod.

                “Obviously not!” Lillian shouted.

                “Can someone please tell me what’s happening?!” Ramsey begged. “Please.”

                Lillian again turned to face him.

                “By now I’m sure you’ve seen the men of this village?”

                “Yes.” He stated. “I met one on the way here. He had a mark on his arm just like mine.”

                “Those mean are in the most basic terms Kerla Si.” She continued. “They have through different means pledged their lives to the women here.”

                Ramsey nodded.

                “They cook, they clean, they care for children and in many ways it is akin to a marriage.”

                “Is that what this is?” he asked slightly relieved. “Are Kiri and I married?”

                “No what Kiri has done to you is far worse than the oaths that bind those men. In many ways they will know happiness you may never experience.”

                Ramsey looked over to Kiri. He could see tears forming in her eyes.

                “KIri isn’t allowed to claim anyone.” Lillian stated. “She and her sister and even the Queen are all descendants of our three patron goddesses. When they claim someone it is more than just a pledge, they take something that can never be returned.”

                “What?” asked Ramsey.

                “You will forever serve Kiri in this life and the next.”

                “What did she take from me?”

                “You can never disobey her, never pledge fealty to anyone. Kiri is now your god.”

                “What did she TAKE!?”

                Lillian looked at her student with pain. She didn’t want to utter these last words. She didn’t want to tell him. She took a deep breath and choked back the tears. She had to finish.

                “Ramsey.” She said softly. “She has taken your soul.”

 

 

 

End Notes:

Well I would be very interested in reading your thoughts on this latest development. Do you like it? Did you see it coming? Did this chapter leave you terribly confused and only left with more questions. Or are you like "screw this story it's nothing but a bunch of contrived garbage." Either way I would be interested in knowing. Oh I'm also going the take the time to respond to my past reviews no matter how brief. Hopefully they'll be up before you've read this.

Chapter 14: Soul of Fire by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

What another chapter already? Oh My GOD!

Trials Chapter 14: Soul of Fire

                “You can’t take someone’s soul!” he yelled adamantly. “I’m not even sure they exist.” He looked at both women desperately.

                Lillian shook her head. “Ramsey you’ve always had a rather narrow view of the world.” She motioned for Kiri and the amazon stood in front of him. She looked at Lillian and she nodded in confirmation.

                Suddenly Ramsey’s mark started burning. Really burning; this had happened before but not like this. It burned worse than the night he was branded. He looked down it was glowing red hot. Kiri then placed her hand right onto his chest and the burning increased tenfold. It felt like his skin was on fire. He tried to scream but he couldn’t. His whole body was paralyzed. Then came the pressure.

                Suddenly his chest was trapped in a vice. The heat was coupled by pressure that felt like being sat on by a bull elephant. Kiri’s hand started to glow as bright as the mark on his chest. It disappeared into his body and he could feel her hand reaching inside of him. The burning only increased. He could only think about the pain screaming for an eternity in his mind.

                Kiri took his head with her other hand forcing him to look at her. Her eyes were glowing in a fierce yellow brighter than the sun. It hurt to look at her but he couldn’t look away. There was light coming from her back. Ramsey could see familiar marks glowing on her skin. The marks she had painted on her his branding night. Her hand went even deeper burning his very soul then it hit him. The burning was never coming from his chest but his soul. He fought as desperately as he could with all his will he managed to lift his left arm and grip her wrist. He could see the heat emanating from it burning her flesh but she didn’t even flinch.

                “Stop PLEASE!” he moaned. And he felt her hand grip something. Then she pulled yanking something from within him. He felt her pull and his instinct was to resist. He pulled back with all his might but she was too strong. He felt something loose than be snatched away and all at once his body chilled. The intense fire that burned through his body all at once was snuffed out. At first the cold was a relief but soon it was too much. He skin went white and he started shivering. He could even see his breath. Then he realized his heart was slowing down. No it actually stopped. He was getting tired. He needed to rest. He closed his eyes. He would sort this out in the morning. Right now he would just rest.

                Suddenly he was pushed backwards into the water. It was warm against his skin and he could feel some energy returning. He swam up to the surface. As he rose he saw something glowing in Kiri’s hand she was holding it like her most prized possession.

                “Is that my?” they both nodded in confirmation. She was holding his soul.

                “Give it back!” he demanded rising from the water.

                “Don’t you dare leave that water Ramsey Lench!” his teacher ordered. Ramsey could feel the heat leaving his body before he even took his first step. He reluctantly fell backward into its warm embrace.

                “This is the most important part child.” She said to Kiri. “You must take care.” Kiri nodded and mouthed something to Ramsey but he couldn’t hear it. Suddenly the orb of light took shape. It started sprouting arms and legs in a simple human shape. Then it took more detail. Hair, eyes, musculature started taking form. When it was finished Ramsey recognized it as a smaller version of him standing in her hand glowing like a tiny ember. It turned toward him reaching out pleading to reunite within him. Kiri stroked its head with her finger. Ramsey could feel her warm touch on his body. It turned toward her and she smiled down at it warmly. She whispered something to it and it turned to Ramsey confused.

                “Come back to me. Please!” Ramsey whispered to it. It reached out for him again but Kiri stopped it. It turned and shot back a small ball of fire that singe the corner of her eye. It hopped down from its perch and ran back towards Ramsey. Kiri stood there for a moment shocked and confused.

                “Go get it child!” Lillian ordered. “This is your only chance or you’ll lose both of them.” Kiri chased after it. For such a small thing it was remarkably fast as it crossed the tiled floor towards Ramsey. This didn’t stop Kiri who was on its heels the entire time. Ramsey chanced reaching a hand out of the water. It froze almost instantly as it left the water becoming stiff and rigid. He almost pulled it back in but as his soul drew closer he could feel his arm warming the fire returning to him. When the soul got close enough it jumped into the air and Ramsey readied him-self for its return, then in an instant Kiri caught the soul in midair wrapping her finger around it like a cage. She looked down on it with a condescending and predatory stare. It was a look Ramsey had never seen on her before. It was like a cat had cornered a mouse.

                To his pride his soul still fought, shooting fire in all directions trying desperately to gain freedom. She looked at it scornfully like a mother scolding a child. She whispered something else to it and it trembled in her grasp. It looked back at Ramsey defeat on its face.

                “Don’t do it.” Ramsey spoke more too him-self. In the back of his mind he knew it was inevitable. It bowed to her and she giggled excitedly. She stroked it again and Ramsey could feel the warmth of her embrace once more. Then she raised it to her mouth and swallowed it whole.

                Suddenly she was cloaked in flames the fire of his soul burning with hers. She smiled and her body shined in the ethereal flame. It started to fade no longer a wild fire but a controlled flame. The room grew dark and all the other torches went out. Even the water was beginning to chill. She was the only source of heat in the room. Ramsey knew what he had to do.

                He took a step out of the water and his body froze once again. He started trembling and his teeth began to shatter. He wanted desperately to return to the water but he took another step. Ice started to form on his extremities and his breathing slowed. His body was numbing he could feel his life slipping away and still he continued toward Kiri. The amazon was beautiful cloaked in her fire or was it his? It didn’t really matter anymore. When he finally got to her he felt nothing, not the cold not the fire only emptiness. He was hollow.

                “K-Kerla S-Si” he managed then he collapsed into her arms.

                “Kerla SI” she answered. Then she kissed him.


                Ramsey woke in darkness. The room was empty except for a small fire burning in the corner. He was surrounded by warmth and he could feel someone’s embrace. It was Kiri. He was hugged tight against her chest sitting in her lap. She was sitting on the floor legs crossed. They were both still naked.

                “I think we should talk.” She said calmly.

                “Talk!” he yelled. “That’s all I’ve ever wanted to do!” he struggled and squirmed in her grasp. “You’ve only seen fit to reply in a language I don’t understand.” She slapped him the sting bracing on his face.

                “The first thing you should know is I will not tolerate any of your back talk. Not right now.” She hugged him closer rubbing his cheek with the same hand that just slapped him. “The second thing is I’m sorry.”

                Ramsey sat there for a moment in the quiet darkness.

                “I’m sorry for everything Ramsey. If there were any other way I would have taken it.” She sounded sad like she was holding back tears. “You were my only option.”

                Ramsey continued to sit there taking in her words.

                “I can never give you back what I’ve taken. You will never be truly free again.” She paused for a moment gathering her thoughts. “But I promise this isn’t for nothing I promise when this is over I will let you go if you choose.”

                Ramsey finally spoke up. “Why did you do this to me? What is all this for?”

                Kiri took a deep breath. “I didn’t know the binding would do this. I thought it was just a ritual for the games. Now I see why my sister tried to stop me.”

                “What’s so special about these “games”?” Ramsey asked.

                “Whoever wins the games is allowed one wish from the queen.” She stated. “I need to win these games.”

                “What are you going to wish for?” he asked curious.

                Kiri choked back a tear. “I want to know what happened to my mother.” She whispered.

                “What happened?”

                “She disappeared when I was just a child.” She was close to sobbing. “I was too young to remember what happened but I know the village was under attack for some reason.”

                “Surely someone can tell you what happened.”

                “Most of us were wiped out back then. Those who survived don’t talk about it. My sister was old enough to remember but she’s sworn to secrecy by the queen.” She continued. “If I win the games and ask Celina directly law dictates her to comply.”

                Ramsey clutched Kiri’s arm it was tense with muscle. She tightened her grasp on him and he could feel a familiar burning.

                “Why do you need me?” he asked. “You seem plenty strong already.”

                “You remember the exhibition right?” she said. “The stone giant, the elf, that’s only the beginning and with Celina in charge.” She trailed off. “I needed a partner to compete.”

                “But why me?” he pleaded.

                “You are special Ramsey.” She said looking in his eyes. “There’s a fire in your soul I sensed it when you first entered the forest.” His chest started burning more intensely.

                “It’s what attracted me to you; it’s what attracted Lily to you.” Ramsey’s eyes grew wide. “What you did in the arena with that stone giant. People don’t just survive that unscathed.”

                “That was because of Dawn’s magic.” He stated denying the notion.

                “It was because of you Ramsey. Her magic only strengthened what was already there.”

                “I don’t believe you.”

                “It no longer matters what you believe.” She chuckled wiping tears from her eyes. “I own you now, which brings me to number three.” She stood up still holding Ramsey. She walked over to the fire and placed him next to a pile of clothes. It was his badge and uniform. “I am your god now Ramsey Lench you have loyalty to no one but me.” She kicked his clothes into the fire.

                “I will not tolerate you bending your knee to anyone not even your Queen.” She went to kick his badge into the fire when he reached out and grabbed her leg.

                “No. PLEASE!” he begged. “That badge is important to me.” He picked up the badge with the bronze sparrow.

                “More important than me?” Kiri fumed.

                Ramsey didn’t have any words he just stared at her a mixture of defiance and fear.

                “Fine.” She relented. “But this is no longer a symbol of your service to the military but one of your loyalties to me.” She grabbed a pile of clothes from the corner and tossed them to him. “I am your goddess Ramsey.” She walked over and embraced him once again. “And my first order is for you to get dressed. We’re late for dinner."

 

 

End Notes:

Here's another chapter for my many readers. By many I mean like five or something I don't know. I was originally going to stop at the kiss but some people had requested I try longer chapters and here is the result. I don't know if it has the same punch I try to end all my chapters on something exciting so let me know how you what you think. Also I'm not sure if it was clear that Ellie from the two chapters ago was the woman Doratea found in her chapter.....anyway I'm rambling like usual so please just comment and I'll try to respond there.......In retrospect this chapter probably still isn't that long..:[

Chapter 15: Dinner by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

Another chapter. This time from Kiri"s perspective.

Trials Chapter 15: Dinner

                Her skin tingled. Fire burned through her veins and warmed her body. Kiri looked down at her servant Ramsey. This was all because of him. She could feel the power coursing through her. This was the legacy of the goddess this was what made her an amazon and this is what would be with her for the rest of her life.

“Why would Dora give this up?” she thought.

 She looked down at her soldier. She could see the confusion in his face, the doubt in his posture, the fear in his eyes. She wanted desperately to console him; to tell him it would be okay, but what could she say. She had taken something from him that could never be returned and for that she would always be in his debt. Still he was hers’ now and she would not tolerate such a pathetic display at least not in front of the others.

“STRAIGHTEN UP!” she ordered a little harsher than she had intended. Ramsey shot straight up and at attention in a reaction to his military training. She smiled internally. He was learning. They entered the main hall were most of the dinner guests had taken their seats. It was a small gathering of women: her sisters, her and apparently Ramsey’s teacher Lillian, and Queen Lucinda. They all sat along the sides of the massive table which was nowhere near full capacity. She took a seat across her sister and gestured for Ramsey to do the same. He immediately reached for a nearby chicken leg and took a bite.

“It seems your soldier is hungry.” Said Lillian causing her sisters to chuckle. Kiri’s face turned red. It was incredibly rude to eat before everyone had arrived. She would have reprimanded but she knew it had been days since both of them had eaten and he had earned it. She reached for a chiki and bit into it with an over-exaggerated chomping sound. A blue stream of juice ran down the side of her cheek as she devoured the fruit.

“Seems Ramsey’s poor etiquette has rubbed off on you.” Lillian observed. Kiri proceeded to stick out her tongue which had turned blue from the fruit. Their eating seemed to spark unrest with the rest of the group. They fidgeted in their chairs and Kiri could even see their mouths starting to water. Dixie in particular seemed especially hungry; her eyes transfixed on the ambrosia made from cream and a mixture of rare fruits. It was her favorite.

Queen Lucinda was next. She reached for a glass of wine and took a deep swig. Seeming to gain some courage she daintily crawled onto the table and grabbing a knife and headed towards a large slab of ham. The size difference reminded Kiri of a doll or a small child as she hacked away a slice of meat with a knife the size of a sword to her. She then proceeded to grab a piece of cheese and some strange red leaves from the salad bowl in the middle of the table. After of few moment of similar foraging she had cobbled together a rather large sandwich and was cutting it into small triangles. Everyone stood shocked at this well everyone except Ramsey who was busy taking bites out of large roll.

“These humans are so, unashamed.” Dora gasped.

“Screw it!” Dixie snapped. “That bitch always keeps people waiting just to show how important she is.” She reached for the ambrosia and starting scooping large portions onto her plate.

“Dixie you know better.” Dora scolded. The large amazon looked back at her lover sternly.

“Eat Dora.” She said emphatically gesturing to the spread before us. “You take your duties too seriously sometimes.

“But.” She tried to object but Dixie hushed her with a finger.

“Eat.” She repeated. Kiri was surprised by this. Dixie was rarely this forceful with her sister. She must have had a rough day. Dora reluctantly grabbed a handful of grapes and quietly popped them into her mouth.

For a while everything was peaceful and pleasant. Kiri looked around everyone was eating and laughing and just enjoying the meal even Lillian had started on some shellfish. Kiri sighed relishing the moment. For the first time in a long time it felt like family. Unfortunately she knew it wouldn’t last. She could already hear the footsteps. It started out small and imperceptible; tiny tremors that tickled her feet. Out the corner of her eye she could see one of the slaves scramble to attention and a wry smile briefly crossed Lillian’s face. Then Dora noticed and straightened a little more causing Dixie to groan audibly. She mumbled something and continued to enjoy her meal.

“It seems you all have forgotten proper Amazonian protocol.” Came a strong commanding voice. The air became tense and the room was quiet. Celina Queen of the amazons had finally come to join them.


Kiri was in awe. Celina was always so strong and powerful it was humbling. Kiri never had a problem with her height but next to Celina she felt so small so meaningless. She took her seat at the head of the table Dora on one side Lillian on the other. She raised a hand and instantly the servant from before came to her side.

“A drink.” She ordered and a once the servant pounced onto the table with surprising agility and fetched a goblet twice her size. “Good girl.” She then scratched the servant girl behind the ears with one large finger and Kiri could swear she heard slight purring.

For moments everyone ate in silence waiting for Celina to speak. The only ones who didn’t seem affected were the humans. Lucinda had completely abandoned her seat and opted to sit on the table itself. She was busying herself with a concoction of different beverages she had gathered and was busy taste testing different mixtures. Ramsey had passed out the weight of the day’s events catching up with him. She grabbed him pressing him to her possessively.

“Quite a marvel that one.” Lucinda said smiling she took a sip of some purple drink. “A fine example of the my empire.” She said this as if making a point. Kiri didn’t know what to think of this woman she was so small yet her confidence and demeanor rivaled that of Celina.

 “Why have you called us here your highness?” Dixie asked trying her best to hide her spite.

“You give me too much credit Storne.” She answered. “It is our beloved Dora who organized this little get together.”

Kiri tensed up gripping Ramsey to her even tighter. She knew what was coming next. Her sister turned to face her, the deep blue of her eyes meeting her own. One look was all it took for KIri to feel like a little girl again.

“I want you to drop out of the games.” She said.

“No.” Kiri answered flatly.

Dora took a deep breath. “You’re going to die Kiri. Don’t you see that?”

“I’m stronger than you realize.” Kiri said defiantly she could feel her temperature rising.

“No you’re not!” she shot back. “You’re young, and naïve and no human is going to change that.”

“Ramsey is different!” she defended. “We will win this and you will no longer be able to keep the truth from me!” Kiri’s eyes were starting to glow and the marks began to show on her skin. Everyone looked surprised except Dora and who shook her head in disappointment.

“There is so much you don’t know.” She said.

“I know that you won’t tell me what happened to mom! I know that you think it’s for my own good! I know that I’m going to win these games. I know you can’t stop me!” Kiri was really heated now. Literally; her eyes were shining and her skin was glowing brightly. Suddenly she felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up to see Lillian.

“Kiri you must calm down.” She said evenly. She pointed to Ramsey in her grasp he was cold and his skin was pale. She froze looking at his frail form. Kiri took some deep breaths trying to settle herself and slowly color returned to his skin. What had she done to him?

“She’s right you know.” Celina spoke up. “She is of age. As an amazon she has a goddess given right to join the games.” She smiled wickedly clearly hiding something.

“I’m aware of that.” Dora replied. She stared at Kiri calmly. “You are sure I cannot convince you to drop out?”

“I’m sure.” Kiri replied.

                Dora sighed. “Then you give me no choice.” She turned to face Queen Celina.

                “Your highness?” she bowed in respect.

                “Yes.” Celina said coyly relishing the moment.

                “As you sworn servant and guardian of the Emerald forest I humbly request.” She paused. Kiri was confused she turned to Dixie and saw that her face had turned dark.

                “Go on.” Celina commanded.

                “I humbly request you release me from my service so that I might compete in the games.”

                “Of course Dora as an amazon it is your goddess given right.” Celina ended the statement with an evil chuckle.

                “You can’t be serious!” Kiri uttered suddenly full of worry. “Entering these games by yourself is suicide.”

                “It has been done before.” Celina interjected.

                “Besides she won’t be alone.” Dixie said quietly. “I will be her partner.”

 

 

End Notes:

This was another tough chapter to write. I'm trying hard to make the characters seem real and keep to thier personalities. Also dialogue is not my strenght. Please give me your feedback.....please.

Chapter 16: Playtime by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

It's been awhile. I missed you guys.

Trials Chapter 16: Playtime

                The morning was cold; colder than it should have been. As Ramsey woke he felt the numbness in his arms and legs and a familiar emptiness in his chest. As his eyes adjusted he took in his surroundings. He was in a small room with one window and a small cot. He rose from the bed his limbs were stiff and protested with every step. He creaked over to the window and saw a courtyard down below.

                “Where the hell am I?” he thought. He tried to piece together the events of the previous night. The memories flashed in his mind: a feast, a bath, a fire. The pictures were clear but he couldn’t quite form the memory. He looked down at the courtyard. It was filled with people busy preparing for the next round. Somehow he had completely forgotten that. The one thing he could remember was that terrifying first round against the stone giant, apparently that was only the beginning.

                Soon the feeling had returned to his legs and he felt confident enough to leave the room. The hall was foreign to him but he could recognize that he was still in the temple. The tell tale markings on the ceiling confirmed it. He continued down the hall marveling at how large it was; Amazonian architecture definitely had scale if nothing else. Suddenly he heard a splash in the corner and the sound of something dropping.

                “Who’s there?” he barked trying to his best to seem commanding. He instinctively reached for a blade that wasn’t there. “Show yourself.”

                Suddenly he was grabbed from behind and thrown towards a wall. He managed to maneuver enough to brace himself only bruising his shoulder. He rose clutching his stomach pain shooting through his abdomen. Suddenly he remembered an injury he acquired being thrown by Kiri in a similar fashion.

                “Wow that was slightly impressive for a human!” echoed a light playful voice through the hallway.

                “What do you want?” Ramsey muttered. Suddenly he was struck from behind and pushed forward. He fell onto the ground face first. He picked himself up his face red more from embarrassment than injury.

                Then a figure jumped down from above. She landed in front of him without making a sound. She was a few heads taller than Ramsey with long legs and a tail. She slowly crept toward him bearing claws and growling slightly through a toothy grin.

                “Run.” She growled.

                Ramsey took a step back slightly confused. He recognized the woman before him. She was the servant from last night. A lynx: terrifying half felines known as masterful predators that ate anything they could catch including human. He wasn’t sure what to do next.

                “It’s been awhile since I’ve had a decent hunt.” She said. “It would be foolish to turn down a chance when it is so freely given.” She brandished her clawed hands a reared back preparing to lunge. He only had a moment to react. Ramsey closed his eyes and ran forward in reckless abandon. He heard a sliding sound and what sounded like frantic scratching. He turned to see the lynx skid across the floor from over shooting her jump. She faced him smile still on her face. For a moment their eyes met and both knew the chase was on.

                Ramsey bolted down the hallway as fast as his legs could carry. He jumped over a discarded bucket and slid into a side corridor. The lynx was hot on his heels running on all fours covering huge distances with every stride. Ramsey heard the footfalls but he didn’t dare look back he knew as soon as he did she would be on him. He turned down another hallway and heard the iconic screeching of her claws against the marble floor she overshot the mark. It dawned on him that her speed cost her mobility. It was a small advantage but it was the only one he had.

 

                Dixie walked through the temple court yard. She looked at her amazon sisters, each busy with a different task. She couldn’t believe what she had said last night. Dora never told her she planned on entering the games. She would die in the arena alone what choice did she have?

                “I didn’t know you were so desperate?” she thought to herself. She gripped her arm. She was tingling. Already she could feel the urge, the itch that she had suppressed for years, the call that all amazons had to find glory in battle, and the beast she once was.

                “Dixie.” She heard. “Dixie are you alright.” She recognized the voice and looked to find her sister Kiri approaching her.

                “Fine.” She spoke settling herself. “It’s nice to see you under calmer circumstances.” She embraced Kiri in a tight hug lifting her off the ground. “You don’t know how long I’ve waited to do this.”

                “It’s good to see you too.” Kiri replied as she was released from the embrace. “I’d never tell Dora but I did miss you both.”

                “Then why do you insist on putting us through this?” Dixie motioned towards everything around them.

                “It’s the only way to find the truth.” She replied. “ The only way she’ll take me serio-“

                “COMING THROUGH!” yelled Ramsey. The soldier slid between the amazons legs headed towards the bathing area a lynx girl hot on his tail

                “Should we help him?” Dixie asked.

                “Why?” replied Kiri. “He’s just playing with a harmless kitten.

 

                Ramsey continued his dash through the courtyard barely skirting the lynx’s grasp, every time she got close he was forced to turn sharply to avoid her.  He ducked under some lumber an amazon was carrying and headed towards the trees. After a few moments the foliage became denser and he felt like he was back in the forest. He stopped leaning against a trunk to catch his breath. He looked around. For the moment he seemed to have lost her.

                “What the hell is wrong with the woman around here?” he thought internally. He continued slowly through the brush trying to retrace his footsteps. He soon found himself lost. The trees grew darker and the forest grew quieter. A dense steam drifted into the area further disorienting him. He wandered around acutely aware of his surroundings. Every stray chirp and snapped branch kept him on edge. He knew she was watching him.

                He looked to a nearby tree singling out a long thick branch. With a few tenacious pulls he managed to snap the persistent limb. He gave it a few nervous swings. It wasn’t the greatest weapon but it would at least keep the cat at a distance. Then as if on cue the lynx emerged from the treetops above. Ramsey braced himself certain their cat and mouse game would continue. She rushed right past him the unmistakable look of fear plastered on her face.

                “What the hell?” he questioned. It was clear something spooked her but what could possible frighten such a deadly apex predator? He could hear leaves shuffling from above and suddenly he was more frightened then he ever was of the lynx. He turned to run in the direction she had fled not bothering to look back at whatever landed behind him.

                Ramsey ran. He ran faster than he ever had before in his life. The sounds coming from behind him were his motivation to keep moving forward. Soon he recognized a form in the distance it was the lynx bounding through the forest on all fours. He doubled his efforts in an attempt to catch up but this came at the cost of his footing and he soon found himself face first on the ground. He tried to lift himself up off the ground but something sharp had stuck into his back pining him to the ground. He heard the hiss and could smell the foulness of its breath. He twisted his head to see a very reptilian head glaring at him with a mouth full of sharp hooked fangs.

                Ramsey felt a pain he wasn’t quite accustom to as the reptile dug into his back easily shredding his top and racking against the flesh underneath. He felt a tug and realized the beast was wrenching the meat from his back causing him to scream in agony. It was a scream he never thought possible emerging from deep inside his gut. It seemed to give him power enough to lift himself to his knees. This motion seemed to further provoke the reptile as it began to gnaw and wrench with increased ferocity scratching at his side with thick claws. Suddenly a long wiry tail smacked him across the face distracting him enough to lose his balance once more and falling over on his back. It lunged at his head causing him to raise his arms in defense. The hooked fangs dug into his hand streams of his own blood dripping down and onto his face. He looked into its eyes and could see the murderous intent. He continued to resist fighting desperately to prolong the inevitable. He closed his eyes trying to push away the pain. He felt a familiar burning in his chest and clung to it. He could feel his temperature rising and his blood literally boiling. He opened his eyes to see it evaporating on his skin and the reptile hissing in pain as its teeth melted. It reared back and in an instant a blur rushed over him tackling the beast to the ground. Ramsey stood up to see the lynx wrestling the lizard to the ground its windpipe caught in her teeth. Over the next few moments he witnessed the lynx straggle the life out of the beast and tear out its throat.

                “We need to move.” She said panicked. “That was just a scout more are coming.” She then grabbed his hand and sped off into the mist.

                “What the hell are those things?” Ramsey said as he tried to keep up with the feline’s elevated pace.

                “Razor backs.” She stated

                “And the amazons have no problem with these things roaming around so close to their homes.”

                “Are you kidding?” she laughed. “Most have killed one before they’ve turned thirteen. It’s like a coming of age.”

                They came to a sudden stop and Ramsey was jerked backward by the lynx. He was about to question the sudden stop when he looked down to see a considerable drop off the bottom of which was completely obscured by the mist. To make things worse the distinctive hiss of the razor backs could be heard as they slowly emerged from the forest encroaching on the pair. One emerged at the head of the pack at least twice the size of the others.

                “I don’t suppose you can fight them off?” Ramsey gambled.

                “I’m more of a catch them by surprise type.” She grinned nervously.

                “So we’re gonna die then.”

                “Not necessarily.” The lynx grabbed Ramsey’s arm and both jumped over the cliff and into the mist.

 

                Lillian soaked in the warm water. It had been some time since she’d been able to relax like this. She loved moments like this when she could decompress from all of life’s complications and just live in peace. Her mind drifted. She worried for her student. His life was never an easy one. She remembered finding him as a child on the streets a wretched little street urchin fleeing his slave master. These games would be so much worse. If she’d only known his potential if she’d only recognized that spark that drew her to him she would’ve let him die on those streets: it would have been a kindness. She dunked her head into the water trying to wipe away the thoughts; she went to a dark place when she was alone.

                “It’s not that bad.” She thought. “Kiri is just inexperienced.” Both of them were in desperate need of proper education and she would be the one to give it to them.

                She continued her swim when two forms dived into the water from above. She immediately recognized them; one the slave girl Ellie the other her student Ramsey.

                “What an idiot.” She thought to herself.

 

                Ramsey broke through the water’s surface taking in a lungful of precious air. He was soon followed by the lynx who swam up to him face beaming.

                “I didn’t think we’d live through that!” She said excitedly. “Shall we continue where we left off?” her face turning back to that predatory smile.

                “YOU’RE NOT SERIOUS?” Ramsey shouted. “WE NEARLY DIED!”

                “I’ll give you a head start.” She chimed. “See how far you can get before I reach one-hundred.”

                Ramsey stared at her for a time as she counted just trying to register what was going on. Here they were at the bottom of a cliff after just barely escaping being eaten alive and she still insisted on continuing their chase. By the time she reached thirty he settled that she was in fact serious and began swimming towards the water’s edge. Unfortunately his back injuries decided to make them-selves present and he was making poor time. He’d only just made it to the edge when he heard her reach ninety- two and by one-hundred she had sped through the water promptly closing the gap. Before he could react she had him pinned to the ground in a fashion that somehow reminded him of those days spent training with Kiri.

                “Doesn’t seem like you made it very far this time does it?” She spoke mischievously. “Don’t worry I’m not going to kill you.” She unsheathed her claws and gently tapped his nose with her index finger.

                “I wouldn’t be very fun if I broke my new friend already.” Ramsey looked at her puzzled he hardly considered them friends.

                “I’ll just make a tally mark on your chest so that we both know what the score is.” She moved her claw towards his stomach. “Ellie one.” She pressed a claw into his abdomen. “And.” Suddenly she was yanked off him and suspended in the air by a powerful arm. It was his teacher soaked and naked and considerably more young and attractive than he ever remembered her being. Her expression on the other hand was one he remembered all too clearly.

                “Ramsey Lench.” She said displeased. “How do you ever plan on surviving these games if you can’t handle one little kitten?”

 

 

End Notes:

Sorry for the delay I've been busy with school starting back up and stuff. I'm also tinkering with another story idea. Don't worry I definetly plan on finishing this one. Because of formentioned responsibilities I probably won't be able to update as often but I can at least promise once a month. I'm also trying to make the chapters longer to compensate. Let me know if it worked it feels longer to me but maybe not to you. Anyway It's good to be back and I hope I didn't lose any of you...so please keep reading....and comment.

Chapter 17: Matriarchs by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

Some character development for the upcoming next round.

Trials Chapter 17: Matriarchs

                Dawn waited eagerly for her mistress to arrive. She was nervous and excited about seeing her. It had been two month’s since they’d separated and now she could finally see her again. She looked at her reflection in the fountains water and anxiously straightened her hair. She had been waiting for almost a half hour and worried that she had come to the wrong place. She continued to pace and glance back and forth when a hand gripped her shoulder from behind.

                “EEEK!” she squeaked inadvertently. Dawn turned around and what she saw made her heart jump.

                “It’s always so cute when you do that.” Cassandra said. She was wearing her official blue robe that marked her as a guardian. She removed her hood and Dawn shuddered as she looked into her green eyes and blonde hair tied back in the customary braid. She wanted nothing more than to jump into her arms and embrace her in a kiss, but Cassandra was a guardian and her loyalties belonged to the queen.

                “You’ve grown your hair out.” Dawn observed.

                “Yeah.” She replied. She stroked her braid which now ran down past her chest. “It’s kind of a tradition.” Then she roughly thrust a large staff into Dawns hands.

                She marveled at the runes carved into the wood and the bend at the end were the wood warped into three separate prongs, on the end a metal band with the inscription “To my beloved daughter Dawn for finally proving an old man wrong and blooming into a precious flower all your own.”

                She wiped her eyes before tears could form. “You found it.”

                “I saw you in the first round and figured you might need it.”

                Dawn’s heart nearly stopped. Her face flushed with embarrassment. She couldn’t believe Cass had seen her chained to that oafish man being dragged around like a doll, and her spell was so forced and unrefined it would make her father turn in his grave.

                “It wasn’t really my best moment.” She mumbled.

                “You were amazing!” cheered Cassandra. “Especially whatever you did to that little guy.” She embraced the elf in a reassuring hug. Dawn melted in her warm grasp. She wanted to stay there surrounded by her strength and buried in her soft chest. She wrapped her arms around Cassandra and clung a little tighter.

                “Ummm, Dawn are you ok?” Cass questioned looking at Dawn with confusion.

                Dawn snapped back to attention quickly stepping away a little further face red.

“I just missed you is all.” She flustered. “It’s good to see you again mistress.”

“Stop with that mistress stuff.” Cass whined. “I told you I don’t care about amazon code. We’re friends.”

Dawn had to stifle a small gasp. If only Cass knew what she did to her? “I can’t do that mistress.” She knew that her life debt was the only reason she was allowed to linger by Cass’s side. “It is my duty to honor my debt to you.”

Cassandra sighed in exasperation turning her head in a huff. “You never change.” She gestured and Dawn fell in line behind her as they left the courtyard. “Oh! I almost forgot.” She smiled and leaned in close to Dawn’s ear. “I’ll be your partner in the games.”

Dawn stopped in her tracks and clutched her chest. Her heart couldn’t take it. It took everything she had not to fall to her knees in joy.

“Dawn?”

“How?” she murmured.

“Apparently the rules have changed another guardian spoke up so the queen just decided to let us all in.”

Dawn finally broke as tears streamed down her face. It seemed that all at once her dreams were coming true.

“Dawn aren’t you happy?” Cassandra said suddenly worried as her friend broke down in front of her.

“Why?” Dawn managed.

“What kind of friend would I be if I let you do this all on your own?”

Dawn went to hug her for a moment no longer caring about embarrassment. In that moment she made up her mind. If she won these games she would ask for the right to marry Cassandra.

 

 

“This ale is shit.” Alaster grumbled swallowing another mouthful.

“That’s because it’s not ale sir.” The bartender corrected trying his best not to anger the rowdy northerner. “It’s tea.”

“Tea!” he barked spitting out his last sip in the bartenders face. “Where’s all the hard liquor?”

“We can’t serve that to outsiders.” The bartender informed with a strained smile. “It’s alcohol content is too high for most humans. It could kill you.”

“Bullshit! I’ve been to three bars, talked to five different bartenders and they’ve all told me the same thing.”

“You could always try the temple.” The bartender suggested trying desperately to get the man to leave. “They have a number of imports with a more suitable alcohol level.”

“I’ve already been!” he growled getting angrier. “All they have is shitty spiced rum so weak it couldn’t get a child drunk.”

“I’m sorry sir but the Amazonian stuff is too strong.” He hoped the northerner would get the message.

“Too strong!” Alaster roared insulted. “No liquor in all the five lands could be strong enough to falter Alaster Treybern!” He reached over grabbing the bartender by his shirt collar. “Now give me your strongest stuff.”

“I’m sorry sir but I can’t.”  the man protested. “If something happens to you I’ll be responsible.”

“Dammit boy! I’ll only ask once more.” Alaster threatened raising a fist.

“Just give it to him.” A voice interrupted. They both turned and while the bartender sighed in relief Alaster only groaned in annoyance.

“You can never come between a northern man and his liquor.” She said as she took a seat beside him at the bar.

Alaster sneered glaring at the amazon with contempt. She was Lemere, Alaster’s “mistress” as they liked to be addressed.  The bartender handed him a large mug of dark ale and he sipped quietly not giving the amazon the courtesy of acknowledgement.

“I’ll have one too.” She said. “Make it a pint.”  This act was huge insult to Alaster and Lemere knew it. In the north women weren’t allowed to drink. His face turned red and veins were starting to appear on his forehead.

“You don’t honestly think you can out drink me?” He said sarcasm seeping from his lips.

“I’ve done it before.” She winked. Alaster downed his drink in one gulp and slammed it on the table.

“Bartender another!” he shouted.

 

Ramsey rubbed his aching back. The wounds from the razorback were being mended but that wasn’t helping with the pain. He squirmed and groaned as his teacher cleaned the wound with some water from the hot spring.

“Ramsey you really need to toughen up.” She remarked. “These are barely scratches.”

“Scratches!” he argued. “I almost got eaten alive!”

“And if you were just a little tougher we would be eating razor back steak tonight for dinner.” She ended the statement with a light slap to the back of his head.

“Sorry.” He defended. “I can’t handle this.” He raised his hands. “I can’t handle any of this!”

“You’re going to have to learn.” Lillian spoke matter of fact. “There is no going back now.”

“How?” Ramsey asked.

Lillian stood up a reached for some leaves overhead. She crushed them in her hand and a green liquid flowed into her palm. She returned placing her hand on his back once more. The sting was considerable.

“I’ve been talking to Kiri.” She finally answered. “There’s only two days until the next round. You’ll be under my care until then.”

“I don’t need to be under anyone’s care.” Ramsey said slightly worried by the implication.

“Clearly.” Lillian patronized rubbing more of the liquid into his wounds. “But it’s not your decision to make anymore.”

“So what happens now?”

“We train.” She started wrapping his wounds. “You have a long way to go if you hope to be any use.”

“I’ve already been trained. Twice I might add.” Ramsey stated flashing back to his months with Kiri; the bruises and cracked bones, going days with little food and even less rest.

This made Lillian laugh. “Whatever Kiri taught you wasn’t training.” She finished wrapping his back and gave it a slap causing him to shriek in pain. “This is proof enough.”

“Then what was it?” Ramsey spat annoyed by his rough treatment.

Lillian turned her head in thought. “Remedial lessons.”

She rose yanking him off the ground with her. “Now come on we don’t have much time. Your little game of tag has pushed us off schedule.” She pointed towards Ellie who had been busy lounging by the water. “You too kitty.”

They both fell in line behind her and they started off deeper into the forest.

 

The day was nearly over. As the sun set Lucinda Qwalis walked alone among the amazons. Even though it was late the village was still quite busy. Normally she would take her time and marvel at the workings that kept this society flourishing but she had a meeting to get to and she was already late. She weaved between the forest of legs that was the amazons until she came to a tavern. The Maidens Kiss it was called. She walked up the steps and encountered her first challenge. The door, it was large and made of thick oak three times taller than she was. She pressed against it with no avail. She doubted she would ever be able to open it.

“Crap.” She whispered. She felt foolish. She never considered she would be hindered by a simple door.

“Here you go.” Said a woman she was a few inches taller than Lucinda and had short cut hair. She easily pushed open the door with one hand. She smiled brightly. Then a call came from somewhere in the crowd in a language Lucinda didn’t understand.

“Coming daddy!” she shouted and ran off.

Lucinda shook her head. “She was only a child.” She was easily out muscled by a small child. “This is why father could never conquer these people.”

She entered the tavern surprised by the scale. All the tables and counters were above her eye level. It somehow reminded her of when she was young and she would crawl under the dining room table during feasts. The place was busy as women and men enjoyed the drinks and atmosphere. She was surprised that a significant amount of the customers weren’t amazon. She approached the corner of the bar which was the agreed meeting spot and tried to climb the stool. It was too high and her dress didn’t allow for a high range of movement. She continued to struggle embarrassed and hoping she wasn’t gaining any unwanted attention. She had never felt more insignificant. Suddenly she felt herself being lifted off the ground and placed onto the stool.

“There.” Said a tall amazon. She wasn’t the tallest Lucinda had scene but she was definitely one of the strongest. She had broad powerful shoulders and huge arms that bulged with vascular muscle.

“Thank you.” Lucinda squeaked ashamed at her own ineptitude. She turned to see a large red haired man she recognized from the arena. He was slumped over the counter passed out surrounded by empty mugs. He smelled like a brew house.

“Don’t mind Al.” The amazon said. “He talks a big game but he’s really a lightweight.” She walked behind the bar and started clearing away the mugs. “So what can I get ya?”

“Water will be fine.” Lucinda smiled. She continued to observe her surroundings with youthful curiosity. “I’m surprised by how diverse your customers are.”

“Yeah this place is a pretty big hotspot during the games.” She said. “Mostly because we serve different brands.” She handed Lucinda a large mug of ice water.

“Is this place yours?”

“Been in my family for three generations.” The bartender smiled proudly and walked back around to take the seat next to her. “My grandmother found this place almost three hundred years ago.”

“Wow.” Lucinda uttered somewhat shocked. “How old are you?”

“Eighty-seven.”

Lucinda’s eyes opened a little wider. She knew amazons aged slower but this woman still looked to be in her forties.

“Mind if I join you?” came a male voice. Lucinda recognize it instantly. She turned her face beaming.

“Tyson!” she chimed jumping into his arms and kissing him. “Your late.” She pouted.

 

 

                The trio had been walking for a while and as the sun finally hid behind the trees Ramsey finally had opportunity to ask something that had been on his mind for some time. He watched his teacher walking in front of him. She was so tall, so strong, so young.

“What happened to you?” He asked bluntly.

“Whatever do you mean?” Lillian replied coyly.

“I mean you look astonishingly spry for a women over ninety years old. Who had grey hair and was shorter than me the last time we met.”

“You mean like this.” She said and she instantly started shrinking in height her back hunching over and her skin becoming dried and wrinkled. In moments she was the women Ramsey recognized. The cranky old hag he called teacher. “Is this better?”

Just seeing her brought back memories and Ramsey rushed her in a tight hug. “I’ve missed you.” He said and suddenly he felt her hands around him returning the hug. He looked down at her tired eyes smiled at the face of the closest thing he knew as a mother. Then her grip tightened and he could feel her body expanding. Soon he was off the ground and once again staring at the much younger face she had now.

“Grannie’s missed you too boy.” She chuckled in a mocking elderly tone.

“That’s not funny.” He replied dryly squirming.

“Don’t be a brat.” She said dropping him.

“That doesn’t answer my question.” Ramsey continued picking himself up off the ground.

“She’s sold her soul to an Krell-kin.” Ellie joked.

They both looked at her confused.

“It’s a tiny demon in my culture that grants immortality in exchange for sexual favors.”

“Ramsey I’m disappointed.” She replied as they continued. “I would of thought that after these past few days the idea of magic would not be lost on you.”

“So these past twenty years you’ve been lying to me.” He shot.

“I’d like to think I was protecting you.” She said. “I never wanted you to enter the Emerald forest or discover the amazons.”

“Why?” he asked.

“For this very reason.” She pointed to the mark on his chest. “You’ve lost your freedom boy.” She sighed taking in a breath. “When I found you on the streets starved and scared I knew exactly where you came from and exactly what you were and it hurt. I never wanted you to experience anything like that again.”

“A slave? He questioned. “You have slaves here.” He pointed to Ellie.

“If you can’t tell the difference between what she is and what you were than you have much more to learn than I could possibly teach you.” His teacher shook her head.

“Why me then? There were countless slave children in the slums.”

“I sensed something in you.” She brushed the side of his face tenderly. “If I had known then what I know now I would have done a much better job in protecting you.’

“But what abo-“ Ramsey was about to continue but his teacher stopped him.

“Enough questions.” Lillian interrupted. “I’m old and my mind is tired.” She switched to her old lady imitation voice.

“You can’t just-“

“Old and tired!” she moaned really hamming it. “Besides we’re here.”

The trio had reached a clearing in the forest in the middle of which was a fenced off circle.

“Welcome to your new home for the next two days.” She went to the center of the arena and motioned towards a small shack off to the left. “And these will be your sparring partners.”

Out of the shack emerged two very familiar young girls.

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

I hope you don't mind me focusing on these other characters for a bit. I threw some Ramsey in there to show he's still busy. Sorry if you wanted some Kiri but she's in the next chapter. Let me know what you think of the contestants and who you're rooting for it might effect what happens in the next round. Also look forward to a new chapter of Snapped to be uploaded soon.

Chapter 18: Night by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

I was originally going to wait until I finished another chapter of Snapped but I figured why not upload now! And if you can't guess by the title everything in this chapter happens at night. WHoOOooOOO!

Trials Chapter 18: Night

                The royal galleries were always a marvel to behold as Kiri walked through the halls she admired the architecture and scale of the statues that aligned the sides. They were in chronological order the past rulers of the amazons. There were only five as amazon queens tended to rule for at least a century. The first was Amelia daughter of Celeste and a common man as rumored. As a goddess Celeste had many suitors and many assumed her first child would belong to Orion the mountain King and father of the north, but upon her birth it was discovered that she lacked the red or blonde hair that was a distinct trait of all the northern children. She was also the shortest queen to ever rule and Kiri’s direct ancestor. The comparisons were easily made.

                Next was Janette daughter of Volsta. Volsta like Celeste had many suitors, she however was far less inhibited and produced many offspring. When the time came for one of her heirs to claim the throne many appeared from across the lands who could. They all fought each other and only the strongest could take the throne. This is widely believed among the amazons to be the first official Amazonian games. It was a common practice for amazons to face each other in combat but this was the first major event and also how the arena was formed. Many believe Dora is Volsta’s decedent because of her blue eyes a trait that was common in her children. But seeing as Dora was her sister Kiri chose to believe that Dora was a decendent of Amelia like her.

                The third was Eric the one and only man to ever be called King of the Amazons. Millani was far different from her older sisters. She only ever had one suitor. Her one true love Roland the scholar. She only produced one child Eric. Eric was small and sickly most of his life and not much of a ruler. In truth most think of his wife Gilda. She was simply massive for an amazon and all of her children inherited her great size. Eric did have one major contribution. Under his rule the amazons were able stop the human’s encroachment on them and officially claim the Emerald forest as Amazonian territory not through war but a simple peace treaty he drafted himself. Despite being frail Eric lived to be one-hundred and two. His statue was of him sitting on his wife’s shoulders reading a book while she stood proudly over the remains of stone giant. This one always made Kiri laugh for some reason. Celina was obviously his desendent her size alone confirmed that but if more proof was needed she also had his pointed nose.

                The next was the most difficult. Her mother Gladace, she had the shortest rule of any amazon queen a meager ten years. Her most notable achievement was somehow ending the war that sparked between the amazons and the Qwalis empire. King Reginald Qwalis single-handedly established the largest concentrated human empire to date through sheer military might. He soon came across the Emerald forest and its bounty. He completely ignored the treaty of Eric marching arrogantly into their depths sparking a war that lasted almost a decade. Then the war just stopped and her mother disappeared. This mystery haunted Kiri every day.

                The next was of course their current queen. The “benevolent” Celina, however she didn’t gain rule right away. According to the cycle a Volsta heir was next and as usual many appeared to claim. This time however far more came than expected including some men! The hostility was particularly high and an impromptu games were held. The applicants were so diverse and their claims were barely proven that a group of higher amazons decided it was open season so any amazon could attend creating a particularly frenzied and savage event. Celina seized the chance, however she did not win. In the final match she was bested by a terrifying amazon who ravaged the arena with her drive and brutality. A woman by the name of Diloris Alexia Storne; in her victory she could have asked for anything including the throne. Instead she chose to marry an heir who decided to forsake the crown and take the oath of a guardian. On that day Celina as runner up became queen Celina and Diloris became aunty Dixie.

                “How long do you plan on lingering out here?” came a commanding voice. “You can’t avoid me forever.”

                “Sorry your highness.” Kiri bowed.

                “Calm yourself Kirisiala.” Celeste ordered. “I will never understand why you’re so jumpy around me? We’re practically family.”

                “I’m just nervous.” Kiri informed. “I don’t why you would ever want to talk to me?”

                “Isn’t it obvious?” she said curtly. “You’ve made a pact. Something you’re not allowed to do unless your queen or are bidding to become one.” As she spoke Kiri could sense the lingering danger behind her words. If she saw this as a coup Kiri could be executed.

                “I swear your highness it was never my intention!” she pleaded. “I just wanted a partner for the games! I don’t even want to be queen!” She looked up at Celina who was covering her mouth stifling a laugh.

                “Your too easy Kiri!” she snickered. “Truthfully Lilly arranged this little meet. I personally couldn’t care less.” She gently picked up the smaller amazon and tucked her under her arm.

                “Where are you taking me?” Kiri asked slightly startled by the abrupt lift and carry.

                “To my personal chambers for some private instruction.” Celeste answered.

                Something about the way she said it made Kiri uneasy.

 

                Ramsey charged head first into the young girl tackling her to the ground. Before he could press his advantage a staff struck him in the face and he fell onto his back. He turned to face the other young girl before being grabbed from behind by his legs and losing his footing then he felt weight on his back as the previous girl sat on him.

                “I swear Ramsey we’ve ran this drill for hours and you still can’t last more than two minutes.” Lillian observed.

                “What am I supposed to do?” he yelled back.

                “Put some heart into it boy!” she returned. “You won’t be use to anyone if you fight so half assed.”

                “I can’t help it.” He argued. “It feels  weird fighting little girls.” He pointed towards Lola and Mycale the two girls he had met briefly at the market with Kiri.

                “These “little girls” are my top students.” She replied. “Far better students than you ever were and trust me they are the only ones who you can spar with without dying.”

                “I fought with Kiri.” He defended. “A few times.”

                “OH PLEASE, RAMSEY!” Lilly dismissed. “She told me about that. You were half dead and flailing around like a moron or are you talking about when you blinded her had a clear advantage and she disarmed you in two seconds.”

                Ramsey was at a loss for words she did have a point.

                Lillian sighed. “Trust me Ramsey if she were in that circle you would be dead seven times over.” She picked him up off the ground. “Now start again. If you don’t get this down we won’t be able to move on to your language lessons.”    

                “Language lesson?” he questioned. “I speak just fine.”

                “Amazonian language lessons.” She clarified. “They will be tutoring you in that as well unless of course you like standing around like an idiot.”

                Ramsey returned to his corner of the ring defeated. “This is gonna be a long two days.” He thought.

 

 

                “How is your time among the amazons treating you?” Tyson asked Lucinda. The pair had moved to their own secluded booth in the corner of Maiden’s Kiss.

                “Great!” she chimed. “This place is one of the world’s marvels like the floating isles of Perove.” She swirled her finger around her drink a warm mug of Red fern brandy. “You’ll be interested to know that your little scout survived.”

                “Ramsey!?” Tyson gasped. “How?”

                “I’m not quite sure?” she stated. “It seems an amazon may have taken pity on him. I guess our little plan didn’t account for that.”

                “Does he know anything?” Tyson asked worried. “If anyone finds out about us then.”

                “Easy, Ty.” She comforted. “I don’t think he even remembers and if he does he hasn’t mentioned it. I for one am relieved. I don’t think I could handle having someone’s blood on my hands.”

                “I suppose your right.” He agreed.

                “Besides I have plenty of other opportunities to practice the art of deception and subterfuge.”

                “I take it you that means you have good news?” Tyson smiled eagerly. “If you’ve found a weakness in these amazons armor my men are ready to exploit it.”

                “I’m afraid not darling.” Lucinda frowned. “These amazons are strong and smart and their queen is devious and clever, not to mention bloodthirsty. If we went to war with them she would jump at the chance to slaughter us all. She told me so personally.”

                “You control the largest army that ever existed.” He assured her. “If she tries it will be her head that mounts your wall.”

                “I don’t know Ty.” She sighed. “My father tried for a decade and gained nothing from it.”

                “Then what do you propose my queen.”

                “We do nothing.” She said. “Better, we become friends, allies. These amazons seem content to stay in their forest. Maybe in time we could even establish trade routes through it instead of circling around that dreadful desert.”

                “You can’t be serious Lucy!” Tyson nearly yelled. “Have you forgotten what they did to your father or what they nearly did to your kingdom!?”

                Lucinda looked at Tyson and could see the hate in his eyes. It was a hate that she had known for a long time but unlike him she had learned to move past it.

                “That is my decision!” she commanded. “The price of war would be my people’s lives and that cost is too great.” Lucinda brushed Tyson’s cheek a large scar was their earned by an Amazonian blade. She looked into his eyes and saw him relent. “Thank you.” She said.

 

                Kiri was embarrassed. She was currently standing naked in front of the queen and four of her male attends who were all just as naked as she was.

                “Is this absolutely necessary?” she asked.

                “Of course Kiri.” Celina smiled. “Don’t be so shy believe me you have nothing to be embarrassed about.”

                “Why?”

                “So that you don’t miss anything.” She gestured and the men formed ranks at the queens feet. “It’s important that you see every detail.” Then suddenly Celina’s eyes started glowing and silver markings appeared on her body. On her back was the mark of her house a shooting star flying in a spiral. Then the men started glowing similar marks appearing on their bodies as well.

                “Did you make a pact with all these men?” she wondered staring in amazement.

                “But of course.” She confirmed. “It’s a queen’s duty to have many suitors.” She then went over to her bed and reclined on her back. “These pacts bring out the potential of not only the master but the servants as well. Boys give her a demonstration.”

                Suddenly one of the men jumped twenty feet in the air. Another went to lift Celina’s leg which wasn’t an easy feet for a human. Still another started walking on the very walls defying the laws of gravity and another punched a hole in the side of the temple through a foot of thick marble.

                “Alex calm down!” Celina snapped at the last man. “Break anything else and you’re forbidden from my chambers for a month.” She turned towards Kiri beckoning her to join her on the bed.

                “As you can see the effects are substantial and change depending on the person.” She closed her eyes and suddenly the glowing stopped and the marks disappeared. “These men are some of my weakest.” She poked Kiri in the stomach. “You seem to have a little fire bug.”

                Kiri just stood in shock taking in as much information as she could.

                “These abilities are also tied to your emotions.” Celina continued. “As you may have learned from your little outburst at dinner.”

                “It seems like anger was the catalyst.” Kiri identified.

                “You must be careful Kiri.” Celina warned. “The soul is like a pool of water if you drink to much at one time it will be empty and the servant will die.”

                Kiri suddenly remembered how cold Ramsey had felt that night. She very nearly could have killed him.

                “These effects have many different applications.” Celina recited nonchalantly. “Including some exiting and entertaining bedroom possibilities.” She stroked the back of the man who was currently pinned beneath her leg and winked at him.

                “Over the next few days I will instruct you in how to properly hone your newfound ability.” She yawned stretching out. She waved a hand and a man immediately started fanning her.

                “This is all very interesting you highness.” Kiri informed. “But at the same time I’m pretty sure we didn’t have to be naked for me to understand.”

                “Maybe.” She agreed. ‘But where’s the fun in that?”

 

                Doratea hadn’t expected to be called out so late but she was still technically a guardian and investigation was her job. She walked into the crowd of blue robes that had encircled the crime scene.

                “Cassy what’s the report.” The rookie guardian turned and saluted.

                “I’m not sure what to report this is the first time I’ve seen something like this.”

                Dora inspected the scene and shook her head. This was the last thing she needed.

                “Cassy go inform the queen at once.”

                As the amazon sped toward the temple Dora leaned down to inspect the body of a dead amazon. Lodged in her gut was a serrated short blade. She looked closer at the hilt in bared the image of a dragon kneeling. The mark of a standard issue weapon of a soldier of the Qwalis empire.

 

 

End Notes:

Hope you don't mind the rather large exposition dump at the begining. I honestly had no idea where else to put it. I was considering making it a small side story. Hey thiers an idea a side story about how Dixie won the previous tournament! Anyway as always please comment, comment, COMMENT!

Chapter 19: Morning by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

The first round of the games has finally started and our pair reunites. 

Trials Chapter 19: Morning

                It was early morning and Ramsey was anxious. He had been woken earlier than he would have liked before the sun had even risen and rushed by his teacher to the edge of the forest. His body was sore and still covered in bruises and wrapping. Over the past few days his teacher’s “training” seemed to consist of teaching him ten thousand different ways to get his ass kicked and emasculated by two little girls.

Over the past few hours a crowd had started to form and he even saw a few people he recognized. The ogre from the earlier round was even spotted lumbering around carrying a curious girl on his shoulder. As more people gathered it became clear that this was the meeting spot for the next round. Soon over twenty competitors all of which he remembered seeing in the arena had gathered to stand beside him, all except Kiri.

                “Where’s your lass?” growled a large red haired man. Ramsey recognized him immediately. “Are do you mean to win this all by yourself?” he laughed obnoxiously at his own comment. “A squirt like you won’t last more than an hour.” His face was red and he smelled of ale. Ramsey was more than certain the man was drunk. He took a few steps back smacking into something firm. He turned and looked up to see probably the most muscular amazon in existence.

                “Don’t mind Al.” she said. “He’s a terrible drunk.”

                “That implies that northerners can get drunk.” Alaster interjected. “Alcohol runs through our veins.”  He flexed his left arm boasting his own prominent musculature. This made the amazon snicker for some reason.

                “What’s so funny?” he questioned.

                The amazon continued to laugh. “I just think it’s cute how you northern men are so quick to boast.” She then flexed her own arm her bicep nearly doubling, in size. Ramsey eyes opened in amazement but Alaster just groaned his face red but not from the alcohol.

                “You jungle wenches think you’re so tough.” He brandished his large hammer. “All it would take is a dozen northern men armed and ready to bring this entire village to heel.” He effortlessly tossed his hammer into the air. It spun three times and fell with him catching it in his other hand.

                “Al, if that were true you wouldn’t be here.” The woman said matter of fact. The two stared at each other for a moment clearly having some internal battle of wills. Alaster’s expression clearly angry and hers condescending and amused. Then the northerner relented turning away from them in a huff and mumbling in dissatisfaction.

                Ramsey could hear murmurs from the crowd as the entirety had turned towards something. Heading towards them were two more people recognized. He gulped nervously.

 

 

                Dora wasn’t surprised by the attention they had garnered. Dixie was a former champion competing in the games for the first time in over a decade and she herself was a well-known guardian. As expected an enthusiastic crowd of fans had gathered around them. Dixie while being formidable in battle was quite shy in real life. She bowed and nodded sheepishly while adoring young girls scrambled to claim an autograph and older woman asked how she managed to stay in such good shape. Dora on the other hand wasn’t nearly as polite.

                “Move aside!” she commanded and that was all it took for the crowd to give them a wide berth. For once she was happy she was wearing her uniform. As the crowd dispersed she pulled Dixie along to join the other contestants right next to Kiri’s little soldier.

 

 

                Ramsey was once again being judged. Blue eyes had returned once again measuring the worth of his entirety with but a stare. “Urvesh Mak.” She spat. Normally Ramsey wouldn’t understand this but that particular phrase was one of the first things he tutors seemed fit to teach him not during his actual lessons but in the arena on the few rare occasions he scored a hit. It was a rather harsh obscenity referring to his genitals. This provoked him to return with his own universally recognized obscene gesture using a select finger. Alaster seemed to notice this roaring with laughter.

                “That’s showing her lad!” he bellowed.

                Doratea was taken aback by the blatant disrespect. She raised her hand readying to teach him a painful lesson about manners when she found herself suddenly lifted in the air.

                “Dixie what are you doing!?” she gasped briefly struggling before finally relenting the useless protest.

                “Rudeness only begets more rudeness.” She lectured quoting  one of her mother’s favorite sayings.

                “But he just?”

                “You started it.” Dixie cut her off. She looked down at Ramsey. “She not normally like this. She’s just stayed up late and now she’s cranky.” She put Dora down once she had settled.

                “I don’t think we’ve been properly introduced.” Dixie added. She reached down and Ramsey took her finger in a handshake. “I’m Diloris but everyone calls me Dixie.” She nudged Dora in the side.

                “And I’m Dora.’ She said half-heartedly. “We’ve met before.”

                “Yes.” Ramsey agreed cautiously. She turned away seemingly done with their interaction.

                “It’s good to see you Dixie.” Said the other amazon who had stayed mostly quiet so far.

                “Lemmy!” Dixie squealed embracing her. “It’s been.”

                “Almost a year.” Lemere finished.

                ‘How does that happen?” Dixie questioned.

                “You tell me.” Lemere responded. “All of a sudden you just stopped drinking.”

                “That’s because.” Dixie cut herself off looking at Dora embarrassed. She returned the look with a questioning glance. “Never mind.” She covered her face trying to hide her blushing.

                Ramsey just watched as the two interacted. Each woman was an entirely different definition of huge. Lemmy was simply massive with muscle piled onto muscle while Dixie was a completely different huge definitely taller but with leaner muscle and a thinner frame. He found himself becoming more and more attracted to these women which was strange because he had never craved large women before spending time with these amazons. He worried that the prolonged exposure was creating a fetish.

                “Kiri’s not here.” Dora observed scanning the crowd. She glared down at Ramsey with contempt. “Where is my sister?”

                “Wasn’t she visiting with Celina” Dixie informed. “Knowing that women she’ll likely be gone for weeks.”

                As if on cue horns started sounding throughout the village. The earth shook under Ramsey’s feet and a formerly disorganized crowd instinctively formed ranks in two lines perpendicular to the combatants. The shaking increased as a large carriage lead by two giant horse-like creatures. It slowly came to a stop in front of them, as the dust settled out stepped Celina queen of the amazons followed shortly by Kirisiala, Lillian, and Lucinda Qwalis queen of men. The women separated with Lillian and Kiri walking toward them while the two queens headed toward a small podium assembled just for them. Ramsey couldn’t fight an instinct to run over to them. He went to hug Kiri but stopped himself unsure. She immediately embraced him in a tight hug.

                “You look awful.” She touched one of the bandages on his face.

                “You look different.” Ramsey remarked. He wiggled out of her arms to get a good look at her. She was wearing a skin tight leather unitard with bracers on her wrists and ankles and her hair was cut to shoulder length. “What happened?”

                “Celina has very “unique” methods of instruction.”

                “She’s a perverted hedonist.” Said Lillian bluntly.

                They both took their place in the line-up.

                “I think you’ll need this.” Said Kiri. She then pulled out his sword; the long rectangular blade had been cleaned and polished. Ramsey held it in his hands it was light yet solid and shined like it was brand new. He marveled at the hilt with the familiar dragon emblem. This sword had been with him through so much and never once let him down.  He fastened it to his side and decided he would never be parted from it again.

                “Thank you.” He said. Kiri just patted his head and winked at him. Ramsey wasn’t sure what had happened to her in the last few days but she seemed different, confident and dare he say a bit flirtatious. Suddenly a memory resurfaced of him and Kiri sitting in a dark room by a dim fire and the talk they had. He remembered what this was for. He looked at Kiri and she looked back at him. For once he was confident. She placed a hand on his shoulder and he could feel a burning in his chest but this time it didn’t hurt. It was his fire. NO! Their fire. As the blaze in his chest grew he had only one thought. Victory.

                “Would you look at those two?” said Lillian. She had moved to stand next to Dixie and Dora. “Sometimes I think they may actually win this.”

                “They have come a long way.” Dixie observed. “Maybe they do stand a chance?”

                “NO!” Dora objected. “They may be stronger than some of the new competitors but they can’t beat the older amazons. They can’t be us.” She raised her hand to brush hair out of Dixie’s eyes and just look at her love for a moment. “Remember we have a special bond of our own.” Suddenly Dixie felt a small spark, a jolt of energy shot through her body as a reminder of the secret they shared.

                “Greetings my subjects!” Celina’s voice echoed across the crowd. “Today marks the eve of that noble contest that put the strongest of us against each other centuries ago. Today is the day that the greatest of us rose up to be champions and gained the favor of our goddess. Today is the day that the bravest of you will take part in this noble tradition and test your wills against each other for the chance to gain your deepest desire.” She raised her hand in the air and the crowd roared and cheered in her honor.

                “That woman really knows how to play to a crowd.” Said Dixie folding her arms.

                Celina raised her hand and the crowd went silent. Suddenly women wearing white cloaks emerged from the crowd and stood in front of the warriors. They each carried a small wooden box.

                Celina continued. “In this event we will be narrowing the lot of you down to a chosen eight.”

                The women approached the warriors and opened the boxes. Ramsey looked inside and saw two yellow bands. He looked around and saw the others receiving similar bands in different colors.

                “A thousand years ago our goddess Celeste and her sisters came upon a vast jungle of untamed wilderness. Its bounty was great and its treasures were the lust of every man. They named this place the Emerald Forest and made it their home deciding to protect the forest and its secrets from the greedy hands of men who would use and abuse it. That duty has now fallen on us. Each and every amazon must know the forest and be one with it. In this round you must head into the forest and pray at one of the eight shrines located throughout. The first one to reach these shrines will receive a statue of the goddess it represents. You must bring back the statue before the sun rises tomorrow to prove yourself worthy enough for combat in the arena.”

                “That’s actually pretty simple for a first round.” Dora commented.

                “I’m sure there’s more to it.’ Dixie replied. “Our Celina has a penchant for theatrics.”

                After a brief pause Celina continued her speech. “There is one other way to earn your place among the worthy. The forest is old. Far older than even then our goddess Celeste. It has its own gods, its own protectors. If you should find one and receive its mark than the forest has judged you worthy. As for the rest well that’s up to you. Only you can truly control your fate and prove you have the strength to take your place among the best of us.” With that the crowd roared once again even louder than before and even the edges of the forest rang with the proud song of the amazons. As the crowd settled the air grew tense. As Ramsey looked around he could see the other combatants on edge ready for action.

                Celina stepped down from her podium and approached the crowd. Ramsey looked up at her in shock and terror. Until now he’d thought Dixie was the largest amazon but this woman was an actual giant. She carried Lucinda in her hand like a doll.

                “Before the first round it is customary for the queen to present a one contestant her favor.” She bent down yet still loomed over the amazons. Only Dixie stood tall enough to see her eye to eye. “Seeing as we have a queen as our esteemed guest I thought it courteous that we allow her to present one as well.”

                Lucinda cautiously stepped off Celina’s hand and walked daintily toward Ramsey while Celina moved to address Doratea.

                “I doubt you’ll need anything.” Celina said. “But here’s something that might help you with our investigation.” She placed a small pouch in Doratea’s hand then gave her a brief peck on the cheek which made both Dora and Dixie’s face flush.

                As Lucinda regarded him Ramsey once again fought the urge to bow to her. There was something about her that just made him want to; an inherent aura of nobility that said no matter how much time passes I will always and forever be your queen. She looked up a Kiri giving her a kind smile.

                “You’ve chosen a remarkable partner.” She informed.

                “Thank you.” Kiri said

“I was talking to Ramsey.” Lucinda corrected. “I sensed some doubt in you.” She said looking up at Kiri. “I think you might need this more than our precious scout.” Lucinda then reached onto her tiptoes trying reach Kiri. She bent down and Lucinda placed around her neck a small crystal. It shined glimmered a bright blue in the light of day. “This crystal stores the energy your body produces naturally. In common men it is used as a last resort during long journeys. I think it will help you hone your inner strength.”

“T-Thank you.” Kiri nodded somewhat surprised by the unexpected gift.

“I hope you find what you’re looking for.” She said before leaving the two.

Once the gifts had been given the two Queens stepped back from the crowd.

“Prepare yourselves brave warriors!” Celina shouted. “The first round of the twenty-fourth Amazonian games begins now.” Suddenly a horn blew loudly over the crowd signaling the start of the event and all the contestants ran headfirst into the deep of the forest.

Once they were gone the crowd cleared out. They wouldn’t see any action until the next day.

Celina went to pick up Lucinda once more. Lillian looked at the pair and shook her head.

“Those two seem to have become fast friends.” She thought.

“What now your majesty?” Lucinda asked with a light demeanor.

Celina yawned stretching her arm out. “It’s still a bit early but I think we can get breakfast at the Maiden’s Kiss your highness.” She said imitating  Lucinda’s tone. “Care to join us Lilly.”

The teacher sighed and shook her head. “Sorry ladies.” She declined. “But I have my own business to attend to this day.” She respectfully bowed before casually walking into the forest herself.

 

End Notes:

Things are starting to heat up once more. More action coming in the next chapters as the events of round one unfolds. Hope you enjoyed more Ramsey and Kiri I honestly never expected Ramsey to be such a popular character. I will try to include more of him where it fits in the story and hopefully shed more light on his past....you know if anyone's interested in that sort of thing...also comment PLEEAASSSEE!

Chapter 20: Partners by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

Wow we've reached chapter twenty and I'm nowhere near done.

Trials Chapter 20: Partners

                Dawn and Cassandra walked casually through the forest’s underbrush. The birds where singing , the flowers were blooming, and streams of light shined through the canopy. This was the forest at it’s best; the beauty of nature with just a small hint of danger that made it exciting.

                “Do you know where we’re going?” Dawn asked Cass. They had been traveling for a least an hour and Dawn was starting to wonder why they were traveling at such a casual pace.

                “We’re heading towards the center of the forest to the shrine of Celeste.”  Cassandra replied.

                “Doesn’t everyone know about that one?” Dawn commented. “Someone will get their ahead of us.’

                “I’m betting a lot will be there before us.” Cass smiled.

                “I’m sorry mistress but you’ve lost me?”

                “It’s pretty simple actually.” Cassandra continued. “There are over twenty of us and the Queen said that only eight can move onto the next round right?”

                Dawn just nodded trying to follow.

                “The queen wants us to think it’s a race but it’s really a battle royal.”

                “What?’ Dawn asked surprised.

                “Multiple groups are going to gather at these shrines and fight it out for the statues.’ She leaned in closer to Dawn. “And once they’ve tired themselves out we’ll swoop in and grab the statue before they can recover.”

                Dawn was shocked. As she looked up at Cassandra she couldn’t believe she had put that all together so early on. She had never seen this side of her before. It kind of turned her own.

                “You’re a genius, Mistress.” She admired

                “I try.” She laughed as the two continued their casual pace toward the shrine of Celeste.

 

                Alaster blazed his way through the forest. He was a one man battering ram. Nothing hindered his wild charge through the thick trees. Lemere just followed behind as the northerner bludgeoned another tree down with his hammer. Sometimes his strength surprised even her. She like most amazons considered men weak not just physically but usually spiritually as well.  Alaster and most men from the north defied those stereotypes. His strength rivaled some amazons and his endurance was on par with anyone. In truth she actually preferred smaller guys. Alaster was a handful to control sometimes and his masogeny got annoying on occasion but she did like how independent he was, she didn’t have to worry about him like most amazons did about their partners.He blasted through a large boulder with ease continuing his wild march through the forest. They were headed towards the shrine of Volsta. It was easily the farthest away right on the borders near the desert. The idea was that most would head their as a last resort due to the distance and the fact that it was a particularly dangerous housing the most fierce creatures and of course they would also be trespassing. None of this mattered to Alaster of course. He figured none of these “women” would have the stones to try so if they could get their fast enough this trial would be over in less than a few hours.

                Lemere had some ideas of her own but she couldn’t exactly argue with his simple logic. It was the most dangerous path. She knew that any other team that chose this route would be going far slower and more cautiously. At the pace they were making they were probably already miles ahead.

 

                Dora held the badge in her hand looking at the bird emblem etched on the front. She could swear she’d seen it somewhere before but she couldn’t exactly place where. She also didn’t know how it could possibly help her investigation.

                “You figure it out yet?” Dixie asked hugging Doratea to her.

                “Not yet.” She said leaning back. She loved sitting in Dixie’s lap surrounded by her warmth. She sighed for a moment watch the birds fly by just content to be. They were currently sitting at the top of a tree high above the forest canopy. From this vantage point they could see the entirety of the forest. Dora noticed a particular area was full of commotion as trees fell and all sorts of creatures fled that general direction.

                “Have you decided which one yet?” Dixie asked after a moment. She was referring to the shrines.

                “Does it matter?” Dora replied. This challenge was surprisingly easy for them. She immediately guessed this challenges true intention. Being a guardian Doratea knew the forest better than anyone and she doubted any of the competitors could be a challenge for Dixie alone. “I thought it best we give some of the younger ones a chance.”

                “You shouldn’t underestimate them Dora.” Dixie noted. “There are some pretty tough warriors this year.”

                “Yes I suppose.” She murmured her thoughts drifting back towards the badge. She knew she had seen it before. She scrunched her face moaning in frustration.

                “Isn’t that the badge Ramsey was wearing?” Dixie asked.

                Dora sat up in surprise. She felt like an idiot. How had she missed it? The scout had one of these badges pinned on his chest this morning, he was also wearing it at dinner that night.

                “The Soldier.” She seethed. “He’s connected to this somehow?” she raised from Dixie’s lap.

                “You’ve decided which one we’re going to?” Dixie questioned. She looked at Dora worried. She could see the anger on her face.

                “Whichever one Kiri chooses.” She said barely controlling the rage in her voice.

                “Dora control yourself.”

                “NO!” she shouted. “I swear if that human has gotten Kiri mixed up in something!”

                “I’m sure you’re overeacting.” Dixie rubbed Dora’s shoulders trying to calm her down. “You’ve met him, did he look like a bad guy to you. Don’t you trust Kiri to pick a decent partner?”

                “We’ll find out soon enough.” She said. “I’ll ask him personally and if I don’t like what I hear I’ll kill him myself.”  Both amazons jumped off the tree and into the forest below.

 

 

                For once Ramsey was confident. He kneeled down catching his breath smiling despite the pain he was in. When Kiri first proposed the plan he was deadest against it but he couldn’t argue with results. He looked at the field before him. Three pairs we on the ground in considerably worse shape than he was. The idea was to get to the Celeste shrine first and get out without anyone noticing but other teams had the idea too and it had become an all-race. They had arrived second just as the first pair had finished the ritual prayer. He looked over to Kiri who had the statue hefted over her shoulder. It was solid rock and the size a man. It was clearly made this way to hamper the amazon partner as much as possible. He doubted a human would even be able to lift it. He walked to her past a large black scorch mark that scarred the forest floor.

                “How did you do that?” Ramsey questioned.

                “You’re not the only one whose been training.” She answered. She smiled taking in a breath. She wasn’t sure about using one of Celina’s technique’s so early but she had to try it out at some point and it was better sooner than later.

                “We should hurry.” She said. “It won’t be long before another team shows up. “

                “I afraid it’s already too late for that.”

                Both turned to face two women approaching. Ramsey recognized one of them as Dawn the powerful elf magician. The other must have been her partner a blonde amazon dressed in blue’s similar to Kiri’s sister Blue eyes.

                “What did I tell you Dawn?” Cassandra laughed gesturing towards the half dozen warriors in different stages of incapacitation. “Most of them have been cleared out.” The two walked into the clearing to join Ramsey and Kiri. “You to do some fine work.”

                Kiri immediately took a defensive stance throwing the statue over a her shoulder and taking a combat stance. Ramsey not to be outdone immediately drew his sword and did the same.

“This doesn’t have to be violent.” Cassandra stated. “Just hand over the statue and we’ll be on our way.”

Ramsey was worried. He knew from the arena how powerful Dawn’s magic was and the amazon she was with looked pretty scary and was a full head taller than Kiri. He looked at Kiri she wasn’t breathing heavy like he was but she had broken a sweat. He wasn’t sure they could handle a skirmish with these two so quickly after a battle.

“Maybe we could find another shrine.” He suggested. “There are eight of them.”

“Not a chance.” Kiri dismissed. “We fought for this one and I’m not won’t give it up so easily.”

Cassandra sighed. “Have it your way, but I warn you we aren’t gonna go down as easy as these chumps.” She gestured all around her at the knocked out combatants. Suddenly one of the amazon’s was on her feet. She was tall and thin and looked to be a teenager. She rushed Dawn grabbing her arms and binding them behind her back.

                “Mistress, I seem to have been captured.” She squeaked embarrassed.

                Cassandra casually turned towards her partner not at all worried for her safety.

                “Listen kid.” She addressed the young amazon. “I know how you must be feeling. It’s your first games and in the first round you get knocked out early.” She took a step forward and the amazon immediately hopped backward. “Easy kiddo no one’s gonna hurt you.” She raised her hand casually beckoning her to calm down. “I just saying it I know it sucks.”

                “You don’t know anything.” The amazon said she pulled Dawn a little closer and tightened her grip causing Dawn to shriek in pain. “I’m in control here.”

                Cassandra face instantly hardened. “It wouldn’t be very smart to push this any further.” She said in a tone that did nothing to hide her murderous intent.”

                “Don’t worry Mistress it doesn’t really hurt.” Dawn reassured. In truth the grip was rather tight but not uncomfortable.

                The young amazon turned toward Kiri. “You hand over the statue or I’ll,” she paused for a moment thinking of a legitimate threat. “Or I’ll break her arms.” She yanked Dawn a little causing her squirm in an attempt to appear serious.

                “You’re kidding right.” Kiri raised an eyebrow. She turned to Ramsey. “Hurry up we’re leaving.” she ordered. As soon as she took a step a knife flew out of nowhere appearing at the bottom of her feet. She turned toward Cassandra but it appeared as if she hadn’t even moved.  She looked around some more trying to find the source of the knife and cautiously took another step. Suddenly another knife flew past nearly missing her left leg and slicing a tear in her suit.

                “I’ll be with you in a minute.” Cassandra said. She raised her robe revealing a whole row of sharp serrated knives of differing lengths. “Dawn are you sure you’re okay?”

                “I’m fine Mistress.” She nodded.  “I’d escape but without the use of my hands I don’t really know any spells that won’t kill her.” This caused her young captor to shake a little.

                “I’m fine with that.” Cass stated.

                Dawn blushed. “Mistress I can’t do that. She’s just a confused kid.”

                “Stop talking about me like I’m not here.” The amazon barked.

                Cassandra took in a breath. “Look kid.”

                “Juniper!” she yelled.

                “Juniper.” Cassandra corrected. “That’s a nice name.” She took another step and this time the younger amazon didn’t move. “ You must realize by now that you’ve made a mistake. It’s totally understandable you were excited and made a rash decision.”

                “I-I know what I’m doing.” She argued not wanting to admit to the fact that she had backed herself into a corner.

                “Let her go now and there won’t be any hard feelings.” She assured in a gentle tone. “Hell I’ll even buy you a drink.”

                Juniper was starting to panic. She hadn’t thought this through. She only knew she had to do something. She didn’t want to go home an embarrassment. She looked toward her partner. A thief named Krell. He was short and dirty and turned over seemingly out cold.

                “Krell wake up!” she shouted. This seemed to gain a reaction as the man slowly picked himself up off the ground.

                Ramsey looked over at the man something seemed familiar about him. He hadn’t gotten a look earlier but now he took in the man’s face. He had a skinny face with high cheekbones and a nose that jutted out like a beak. Suddenly he remembered a briefing and an old mission he had all but forgotten about. He was one of the men that raided Squall Harbor. What was he doing partnered to and amazon? The man stumbled over to Juniper and immediately fell to the ground once more.

                “It seems are captives were pretty useless this year.” Cassandra laughed. Suddenly a knife flew through the air pining the man to the ground. He screamed in reaction and tried to pull himself but the knife wouldn’t budge. “There’s only one way out of this.” She stated.

                Juniper was terrified by this point. She could only respond with mutters as tears started flowing down her face.

                “Mistress you scared her.” Dawn said and suddenly her hands were free as Juniper collapsed into a weeping mess next to her “partner” who was still struggling with the knife. Dawn looked at the girl and felt sorry for her. “Hey it’s okay.” She comforted.

                Cassandra walked over and pulled the girl to her feet. “A word of advice Juniper.” She pointed towards Krell. “Don’t use a partner they try and supply you with at a temple. Either have the guts to go it alone or find someone you really trust.” She hugged Dawn to her rubbing her head with the other hand. “Besides your way too young for this.”

                “I just wanted to prove myself.” She said. “I didn’t think I’d win but I didn’t-“ She broke down again.

                “Everyone has their first time I guess.” Cassandra remarked.

                “This has all been really touching.” Kiri snarked. “But if we’re done here?”

                “Oh right!” Cassandra smirked. “Now we can get to the fun.” She took of her top cloak revealing her battle robes. She unsheathed a knife walking towards them. Dawn was by her having recovered herself.

                “Are we to engage them?” She asked. Cass nodded in confirmation and Dawn raised a hand in response. Suddenly light emanated from it and a staff appeared in her grasp as if out of thin air.

                KIri dropped the statue. It hit the floor with a loud thud. “Ramsey to my side!” she ordered. The soldier quickly went to join his partner.

                Ramsey could feel the heat in his chest rise as he held his blade. He looked to Kiri who was equally excited. He could see the mark beginning to appear on her skin. It was clear that a battle was about to start.

                Suddenly a loud thumping could be heard approaching their way. All four looked towards the origin of the noise. Suddenly a figure came rushing out the trees flying into the air. It landed between them kicking up dust. Kiri could feel a tingle in the air that was dangerous yet somehow familiar.

                The dust settled and Kiri was made to shutter. Standing before them was Dixie, on her shoulder stood Doratea face filled with rage and killing intent.

 

End Notes:

Wow things are heating up now. The next chapter should be very exciting. I started this story thinking it would only be twenty chapters long but I've reache my goal and it's still not finished. Part of me wants to stop here and continue in Trials part two but the other part wants a complete story with an ending even if it becomes to daunting with excessive chapters. I don't know, comment is you have an opinion on this. Or you know just comment for no reason at all it all helps.

Chapter 21: Confrontation by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

Even I wasn't expecting a new chapter so soon!

Trails Chapter 21: Confrontation

                The air was tense as the three pairs stared each other down. With the arrival of Doratea and Dixie it was clear this would no longer be a straightforward fight. Those two would wipe them all out with ease. The question was whether two would team up to knock out the dominant threat or if it was every man for themselves? Dawn was the first to react.

                She slammed her staff into the earth. “Floras Titanes.” She shouted.

                The earth shock and instantly cracked open as massive vines shot forth from the breach. Ramsey was taken by surprise as a vine wrapped around his leg. He went to reach it but he lost footing and was suspended two stories into the air. Kiri fared better able to see the attack coming and ducking and dodging the first lash. However she was outnumbered and as she tried to dodge one vine another knocked her off balance then another wine wrapped itself around her waist as more bound and immobilized her hands. She two was suspended high above the air. The real surprise came from Doratea and Dixie who hadn’t seen fit to move at all. They stood there as the vines ensnared them and lifted them up.

                “Wow Dawn.” Cass said with a whistle. “Nice work.” She looked at her partner as her eyes glowed from the magic that flowed through her. It was always surprising to see it done in real life.

                Cassandra reached into her belt and produced a small dagger. She casually tossed it to Dawn.

                “What’s this for?” She asked.

                “The next time someone grabs you don’t play games, stab them in the kidney.” She walked over to the statue and hoisted it over her shoulder. “This was surprisingly easy. I guess it’s one of the perks of having an all-powerful elf mage at your side.” She made a cutesy gesture with her free hand. Dawn blushed at the compliment.

                Ramsey for one was not prepared to be embarrassed in such a fashion. “This isn’t over!” he shouted surprised by his own anger.

                “I wouldn’t struggle if I were you.” Dawn advised. “They’ll only get tighter.”

                Ramsey ignored her warning and kept thrashing. He could feel the vines grip strengthen squeezing the air out of him. He watched as the pair began to leave and he could feel his heart rising. The burning was coming back and his blood began to boil. Suddenly he broke out into a sweat and steam rose from his body. Smoke started to appear as the vines burned and withered from his body heat. Then a flame caught and Ramsey’s body was engulfed in hot fire. The vine withdrew and he was dropped to the ground.

                “What the hell?” Cassandra gasped. She took a few steps closer investigating the ball of flame that was formerly Ramsey Lench. “Did he just set himself on fire?”

                “Spontaneous combustion?” Dawn proposed. She looked at the fire as it began to smolder. Smoke began forming obscuring the shrinking flame. Something wasn’t right. She felt energy coming of him. Life energy. “Mistress. Be careful.” She warned

                Cassandra turned to face Dawn. “What?” she motioned showing she hadn’t heard.  In a flash a form burst out of the smoke. It was Ramsey charging Cassandra sword first. He thrust his sword straight for her abdomen in that moment all of his being aimed towards skewering her insides. She was prepared however deflecting his strike easily with a knife in her left hand.  She then shifted her arm elbowing him in the stomach and dropping him to his knees.

                “I wasn’t expecting that.” She chuckled. “You have some spirit but you’ll need more than that to.” She was interrupted as fist struck her face causing her to drop the statue and send her back a few feet. She rubbed her cheek and turned to see KIri rushing her body covered in bright yellow lines.

                It was clear the fight had started as the two amazons collided in fair combat. Kiri was a flurry of punches and kicks aimed at Cassandra in rapid succession. Cass however could not be underestimated. She was able to back step before any of KIri’s attacks could connect.  She drew another knife in a reversed grip now having one in each hand. She thrust a blade at Kiri’s eye but she moved aside the knife hitting air. Then Kiri went to grab Cass’s shoulder and try to restrain an arm when her other came down knife first forcing her to release. They connected again in a combination of fluid motions neither gaining and advantage. Then a break in the stalemate; Kiri swept Cass’s leg causing her to go to one foot, she then pressed her advantage knocking the guardian off balance she then knelt down putting pressure on her abdomen. She went to strike a finishing blow when her arm stopped moving an inch from Cassandra’s face. The guardian smiled. “So you’ve finally decided to join us.” Kiri turned to see Dawn in the midst of another spell. Suddenly she lost feeling in her arm and then her waist. She went limp and fell to the ground.

                Ramsey stood up shakily gaining his balance. That guardian had finished him in one move. He wasn’t surprised by this; he knew the difference between them from the beginning. What shocked him was how he had acted. In that moment he had been a different person; a being of hate and rage. He didn’t have time to wonder as he noticed Kiri spasm on the ground.

                Dawn focused her energy. The current spell she was using required complete concentration. She could see white wisps and tendrils bind Kiri to the ground in a spectrum only visible to her. She had precise control over each one but if she faltered the spell that summoned them would break and Kiri would be free. The poor girl must of thought she was having a seizure oblivious to Dawn’s control over the forces of the second realm. “Now’s your chance Mistress, finish her off.”

                Cass didn’t miss her mark. She rose to her feet in a position directly above Kiri. She sheathed her blades quickly and cracked her knuckles. In a swift punch she slammed a fist into Kiri’s sternum causing her to shriek in pain and gasp for air. She raised her hand for another when two small feet connected with her chest as Ramsey jumped right into her. The force was enough to stagger her but not knock her over. She looked to see the small soldier on his ass in front of her. She lunged for him but he swiftly scooted away from her. He ducked between her legs and drew his sword.

                “What now soldier?” Cassandra taunted. “You don’t think you can take me?”

                Ramsey answered by chucking his sword which she deftly avoided. “Not your best move.” Cass noted.

                “I’d have to disagree.” Ramsey smirked.

                Cass tilted her head intrigued by the soldier’s confidence when suddenly she was grabbed from behind. Kiri moved her arms between Cass’s armpits and leveraged her own weight to lift the amazon over her head. In one motion she slammed the guardian to the ground in an earth shaking suplex.

 

 

                Cassandra’s head spun and not just because it was just propelled to the ground at thirty miles per hour. How had the amazon escaped so quickly? As her vision slowly returned she got her answer by seeing the soldiers blade embedded in a tree right behind where Dawn had been standing. She was treated to a nice view as the bottom of the elf’s feet came into view. She looked up at her thin frame that had small bumps of fat in all the right places. Even with eyes strained and a look of worry on her face she was adorable.

                “I’m sorry Mistress. I had to stop my spell to avoid being hit.” She apologized

                “You know you look pretty good upside down.” Cassandra remarked.

 

 

Kiri looked at her soldier. She was surprised by his ingenuity. She ruffled his hair in appreciation before turning her attention towards the other pair. They were more formidable than she had thought. What really worried her was her sister. Both Dixie and her still remained suspended by the vines. They looked fine but they hadn’t yet moved or even tried to break free. She couldn’t worry about that now as the real threat became apparent to her. She had thought to focus on the guardian but that elf was the real danger. Her spells gave them the advantage in almost any situation. Kiri swatted Ramsey on his head to gain his attention. He shot her and angry scowl but was silenced when she pointed towards Dawn.

                “Don’t let her cast another spell.” Was her command.

                “Right.” Ramsey affirmed.

 

 

                Doratea watched with only the slightest amusement as the two pairs recovered. Their first skirmish had been quite entertaining. In it she saw their naivety and inexperience. The  elf while powerful was unsure of the proper time to help, Cassandra was most skilled with a knife but she was arrogant and talked too much, Kiri didn’t take her time preferring to rush in head on assaults instead of waiting for the opportune moment, and the soldier while clever didn’t have the muscle to back it up. She looked over to Dixie she was watching the action intently occasionally giggling at the events.

                “These kids have so much energy.” She covered her mouth stifling another laugh. “You’d think it was their first time or something.”

                Dixie had a point. For all the things they lacked passion wasn’t one of them. Part of her wanted to see how this would play out. She disagreed with Kiri about all this but part of her was proud to see her sister on the battlefield. Still her she was getting bored and she had questions that needed answering. She grabbed the end of the vine that bound her and snapped it from the rest freeing herself. Seeing this Dixie flexed her body the vine instantly giving weight to her might. Dora looked at her and smiled at how easy she made it look. Both women jumped of the vine and into the battle.

 

                Kiri’s fear had come true as her sister for whatever reason had decided to stop spectating. She had no way of knowing who her first target would be but she assumed it was herself. She had a large chunk of vine in her hand and was coiling it around her wrist. She took a few test swings and everyone heard the loud cracks as the lash of the vine hit the ground. Then Dixie hit the ground right behind Dora. She crossed her arms observing quietly. Kiri wasn’t too worried about her chances are she wouldn’t move unless Dora requested.

                “You have one chance.” Dora spoke. “Forfeit now before you all get embarrassed.” She began tying another vine into the previous one and stretching the plant for tightness.

                Instantly a knife was flung in her direction. In one swing she managed to swat the knife from the air with her makeshift whip and catch it with her free hand. “This doesn’t concern you rookie.” She threw the blade back at Cass’s feet. “It would be best you not involve yourself.”

                “Can’t do that sir.”

                “Very well.” Doratea nodded her head in disapproval. “Dixie please make sure they don’t interfere.”

                Before anyone could react the giant amazon took hold of the two squeezing each in a separate arm. “Sorry about this.”

                Suddenly Doratea rushed, Kiri put up a guard but she wasn’t aiming for her. Her sister grabbed Ramsey by the throat.

                Ramsey stared into Blue eye’s blue eyes. They shimmered in sunlight. He looked at her face it had an expression that could only be described as hate. He flailed in her grip as his air supply dwindled. He could feel himself embracing the darkness. Surprisingly he was more worried about Kiri than himself. Could she win these games without him? He tried to start his fire but it was only a flicker now. He couldn’t understand how it worked or why it would save him before and not now. He was losing consciousness a cold chill ran through his body and he could no longer feel his limbs. He dropped to the floor but he couldn’t feel the impact. The last thing he saw before he blacked out was Kiri standing above him cloaked in yellow flames. His flames. 

 

End Notes:

Another hard to write action scene and another is on the way. As always I appreciate your comments. 

Chapter 22: Flames by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

A new chapter folks and let me warn you things happen. There you've been warned.

 

 

 

 

 

Trials Chapter 22: Flames

 

                The flames burned brightly on Kiri’s body. She could feel the power, the burning, the rage, all focused at one person. Her sister Doratea, in that moment she was less herself and more a force of nature. She could barely form the words that screamed in her mind. “DON”T YOU EVER TOUCH HIM!” Her voice was deeper and louder than normal as if another more powerful entity was speaking through her.  She purposely walked towards Dora every step she took scorching the earth beneath her. Kiri could feel what was coming next. She tried to fight it but part of her also wanted it. She wanted to punish Dora for hurting Ramsey, for hiding the truth about her mother, for treating her like a kid. For an instant inpercievable to anyone but her a struggle went on in her mind. She raised her hands the fire within forming on her palms. She moved her hands forward in a jerky uncontrolled blast. The flames erupted from her hands in a molten stream covering Doratea in a cloak of intense flame.

 

                Lillian waited by a pool of water. It had formed from morning dew dripping into a hole that had formed in the branch of the tree. The water which should have been stagnant was crystal clear and pure. She dropped in a handful of dirt and bark from the tree and in seconds it dissolved in the water as it remained crystal clear. This was a light tree one of the many miracles that the forest produced.  As she continued to wait at on the tree branch high above the earth she looked at the statue that stood proudly in an ornate shrine carved into the tree itself. It was the image of Eric their former king standing with a scroll in hand; the Treaty of Peace. It was this spot that marked the fourth shrine marked in this first round it was one of the more difficult ones to find. She heard grunts and footsteps. Someone was finally approaching. She turned and smiled.

                “You are not at all who I was expecting to meet.” She said.

 

                Doratea braced herself against the flames. They were hot and she could feel her flesh burning from their intensity. She had to end this before she was burnt to ash. She jumped sideways escaping the burning stream. It continued burning a hole clear through a row of trees behind her. She looked at her sister, if she even was her sister at that moment. She was completely cloaked in the flames yellow lines created an intricate grid on her body even her hair was aflame. It was clear to Dora that Kiri was losing her control.

                “Kiri please calm down!” She pleaded.

                “No!” Kiri shouted. “You can’t confine me any longer!” Flames erupted from her mouth with every word she spoke. “I want the truth NOW!” She shot another blast at the guardian.  Doratea was forced into defense. Kiri had too much force, she had to be stopped. There was only one way.

  She reached for a power deep within herself, a power she had sworn an oath never to use. Lines webbed across her body in intricate curves and circles as her eyes glowed a radiant blue. She embraced the feeling as the force within cloaked her body. Her muscles tensed and she could feel her mind be overwhelmed by her birthright, the power of the goddess. Just when it felt like too much she stopped. As she returned to her senses another stream of fire was directed at her. This time she didn’t guard instead the flames arched around her and dissipated. She gripped her hand into a fist as a current of electricity enveloped it.  On her back glowed the mark of her house. It was the opposite of Kiri’s a full moon eclipsing the sun’s rays and shrouding the world in darkness. A tear streamed down her face as she looked at her sister in the midst of her mad tantrum. It reminded her of when she was a child the night after the attack. How frantic she had been when their mother hadn’t returned. How she had pleaded for answers. She knew part of this was her fault.

“Kiri. I’m sorry.” She said as she charged towards her sister.

 

Celina went to sit down next to Lillian. The woman had been sitting quietly waiting for the queen to speak. “I take it no one has discovered this shrine yet?” She picked up the statue in her hand admiring the visage of her grandfather. Maybe if she was more like him things wouldn’t be so difficult. She constantly tried to appear like she had control but things were crumbling around her. She hoped these games would remind the other races of the amazon’s power but she knew in her heart they were on the brink of another war. Suddenly a large shockwave reverberated through the forest causing the very base of the tree to shake and leaves to fall.

“It seems you’re a rather poor teacher.” Lillian commented.

“Hardly.” Celeste defended. “Kiri is a descendant of Celeste her powers are naturally tipped toward chaos. I warned her to control her emotions.”

“She has always been rather excitable.”

“It’s not just that.” Celeste continued. “That soldier of hers is an anomaly. The power she drawing upon could be endless.”

“I’m sure Dora can handle it.” Lillian reassured. She knew Celina was avoiding something. “Care to tell me why you’re really here.”

Lillian always went straight to the point. Celina always hated that about her. It made her an excellent teacher but a poor conversationalist. She gripped the statue in her hand remembering everything that man had taught her. Sometimes she missed him. “Who is killing my amazons?”

 

 

Dixie could feel her heart pumping in her chest. It wasn’t just the energy from Dora that made her blood rush. As she watched the two sisters in battle her skin began to tingle. It was such a glorious challenge. She could already feel the monster rising; the one that turned her into a savage beast. She had to grip her two captives a little tighter to try and control herself. She couldn’t engage until Dora gave an order.

Cassandra was content to hang in Dixie’s grasp having no desire to join in the battle between Dora and Kiri. She had known of the power those who were heir to the goddesses possessed. All amazons did, but this was the first time she had ever seen it. In this moment neither of them was mortal. They had become something more than amazons, they were now titan. This day would be a memory she would never forget. One day she would tell this story to her grandchildren.

                Dora gripped her sister’s wrists in her hands. She looked down at the girl who was thrashing angrily at her confinement.

                “LET ME GO!” she yelled as fire erupted from her mouth right into Dora’s face. Still Dora held on now impervious the intense heat. It was clear now that Kiri had only tapped into a tiny part of her power. She looked at the bracers on her wrist and ankles and knew what they were for. They were limiting Kiri’s power. She was thankful to Celina for her foresight. She squeezed harder the pain bringing Kiri to her knees.

                “Yield!” Dora commanded but still her sister fought defiant.

                “NO!” Kiri screamed. “You are trying to take him away! Like you take everything away! Like you took mom away!” She continued to thrash and more power burst forth as her marks grew even brighter. Her bracers were glowing red hot.

                Doratea was hurt by her sister’s words. Was this what she really believed? She wondered how she could be so misguided. The flames were becoming more intense and she had to increase her power in kind. She saw the bracers glowing red hot then they melted of completely. Doratea released her grip and jumped back. “DIXIE BACK AWAY!” she shouted. Suddenly flames erupted from Kiri’s body shooting out in all directions. Dora couldn’t believe she had such power. She looked over to her soldier he was on the ground cold and pale. The earth around him looked like it had been over. Was he really the source of all this?

 

                “Isn’t it obvious?” Lillian answered.

                “Impossible.” Celina objected. “Lucinda isn’t her father. She’s smarter, and kinder, and-“

                “A friend.” Lillian finished. “Just because she smiles at you doesn’t mean she not a threat. King Reginald was a very charismatic man. How else do you think he could unite the scattered kingdoms of man against us?”

                “He was also a power mad despot.’

                “Who we beheaded.” Lillian replied.

                “She’s weak.” Celina informed. “She’s doesn’t want revenge. She wants to establish trade routes. “

                “Then why give Dora that badge?” Lillian dipped her hand into the pool and took a sip of the purified water. “You knew Dora would suspect the soldier. Even if it’s not Lucinda someone in the Qwalis Empire has a grudge against the amazons.”

                Suddenly more grunting could be heard as someone else was struggling to climb the giant tree. Both women turned to see a giant green ogre lumbering toward them. On his back was a young amazon who looked to still be in her teens. The ogre walked up to them and went to one knee. The young amazon jumped off and approached Celina. “Could I please have that statue?” She asked her voice was soft and silky.

                “Have you forgotten your etiquette in the presence of your queen?” Celina teased.

                The young amazon blushed and bowed curtly.  Celina smiled and handed the statue to the girl. She struggled to lift it over her shoulder. The ogre immediately intervened easily picking it and the girl up in its hands. As they walked off Celina couldn’t help but smile at their silhouette. Somehow it seemed fitting that they would claim the statue of Eric.

 

                The flames erupted intensely if this continued much longer the entire forest would be set ablaze. Dixie had to drop her captives letting them evade the wild flames as they shot forth. She could no longer worry about them she had to help Dora before they were all burned away. She took a deep breath and rushed into the center of the flames.

                Kiri had lost control. She knew this in her heart yet she did not fight it. As the power rushed it seemed like it was taking its natural course. She couldn’t stop it if she wanted to. She only hoped they would survive until it was over.

                Doratea could only brace herself to keep the flames at bay. She hadn’t drawn enough power and she was too distracted to do it now. It was now up to Dixie to act. She only hoped it wouldn’t unleash something even more dangerous inside her lover.

 

                Cassandra held Dawn to her as she jumped and ducked barely avoiding the flames that erupted. Dixie had disappeared into the fire and she field the amazon was dead.

                “Mistress you must put me down!” Dawn spoke.

                “Are you kidding?’ Cass yelled. “You’ll die.”

                Dawn couldn’t blame her for the concern. She couldn’t see what was happening she doubted any of them did. Dawn however had eyes that could see into the second realm. In it she saw the link that connected all things. She saw the link between the amazon and the soldier on the ground seemingly isolated from the flames. A channel of energy was being funneled from him directly into the blaze at an alarming place. It was clear for this to end they had to be separated. “Mistress, please trust me.” She looked into Cassandra more resolute than she actually was. She relented placing Dawn on the ground. The elf took a seat with her legs crossed her staff starting to levitate in the air in front of her. A series of incantation were spoken in a voice that was almost not her own. She levitated in the air as a circle of light surrounded her.

                Dixie was smiling as she charged into the flames. Was this the joy of battle she had confined within her? Why would she keep herself away from this? She could see Kiri her body glowing brighter at the center of the flame. She gripped the amazon’s arms in her hands and in one motion pushed her into the ground. She continued the pressure pressing her further into the earth. The strength she had forced onto Kiri didn’t seem to affect her in the slightest. The flames erupted as strong as ever. Dixie started laughing. Kiri was definitely making this worth it. She raised a fist punching her into the earth a crater forming from the weight of her assault.

                Dora watched as Dixie continued to subdue her sister’s rampage. She could see the smile on her face and knew she was slowly becoming the warrior of her past. If this continued further either Kiri or Dixie would die. She knew she could stop Dixie but then what? Kiri would continue to burn seemingly forever. She looked at the flames they had formed a cone their intensity now being directed completely toward her love. She couldn’t risk this. She couldn’t lose them both. Taking a moment she drew in more power and jumped toward Dixie. She tackled her to the ground her love was still smiling. “Dixie please come back!”

                The giant amazon could hear her partner’s voice but it did little to calm her rush. She strained and flexed trying to return to the fold but Dora had used their pact to force her into submission. She couldn’t move unless Dora allowed it. “If I don’t stop her we all die!” Dixie argued.

                “No! Dixie. I won’t lose you.” Doratea wept knowing this decision would sacrifice her sister. Seeing her love cry seemed to snap Dixie back and she suddenly stopped struggling. She had only scraped the shallow end of the monster inside her. She returned. Dora looked into her eyes and once again saw the gentle eyes of her soul mate. Suddenly the light had faded and the flames had stopped. Dora rolled over to see Kiri had collapsed motionless onto the ground a large scorch mark surrounded her. Doratea walked over to her sister. She could see her chest rise and fall. She was still alive.

                “What happened?” Dora asked.

                “She happened!” Cassandra yelled gleefully raising Dawn’s hand. The elf had to lean against her partner her energy totally spent.

                “The soldier was feeding her too much energy.” She managed. “I-I cast a spell to separate them. To send him away.”

                “Where?” Dora asked.

                “I don’t know.” Was Dawns answer.

 

 

Alaster was surrounded. On all sides was a squad of Lynx the feline race that also called the Emerald forest their home. In his hand he held his hammer. Strapped to his back was the statue of Volsta. Lemere was to his back ready as he was for the coming battle. They wouldn’t run. Running was for cowards. They would fight and it would be a fight they would sing about in the halls back home. He was already imagining the story in his head.

                “Al this is totally unnecessary.” She glared at her partner. She knew he had orchestrated this little encounter. She had to give him credit. He was somehow capable of finding a battle no matter what the situation.

                “Spoken like a true woman.” Alaster returned. Without another word he yelled and charged headfirst into the crowd before them.

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Well.....that really escalated. Kiri and Ramsey have been seperated again. I hope you aren't expecting any resolution in the next chapter because that belongs to Alaster. He's been pretty one note so far so I think he deserves some much needed development. Ramsey and Kiri and all thier drama will take a litlte break. As always please comment.

Chapter 23: Discussion by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

I'm back with a new chapter staring Big Al and Lemmy!

Trials Chapter 23: Discussion

                Alaster loved fighting: a fact that would surprise no one. All northern men loved fighting and strength and the honor found in fair combat. In that way he was much like the amazons he held in such contempt. As much as he despised his partner in the heat of battle he held secret respect for her. The contradiction of which plagued his thoughts almost every day. Still as he swung at the lynx before him the agile cat ducking it adeptly he couldn’t help but smile. She had given him a gift; trust. With Lemere  by his side he no longer had to watch his back, he no longer had to defend, with her by his side in battle he was able to cut loose and focus on the battle in a way he never achieved with any of his men back north. This gave them both an edge that was usually the deciding factor and it was what they would need to survive the horde of predators that surrounded them.

                Alaster gripped the lynx around the throat finally managing the capture one of the wiry creatures he immediately hurled it into two others that were about to pounce on him. “Is there a reason these cats are so riled up?” He took a step back as three more lynx leapt forward to engage.

                “We’re trespassing.” Lemere answered doing her best to keep a horde of the feline’s at bay. “This whole area is mainly under lynx control.”

                “I thought the amazons owned this forest.” Alaster remarked. He threw his hammer clearing a path as the cast jumped away from its trajectory. It landed with a thud near Lemere who immediately picked it up a spun around bludgeoning the horde.

                “You can’t own the forest.” Lemere  added, finished with the hammer she hurled it in a high arc. “We spent ten years teaching you humans that.”

                Alaster jumped into the air grabbing his hammer mid-flight then using the momentum and gravity slammed into the ground creating a small shockwave that scattered more of the lynx. As the dust settled a sizeable crater was left at the point of impact. He climbed out brushing the dirt off his iron shoulder pads. He looked to see the remaining lynx scattering to the treetops.

                “COWARDS!” He bellowed as the last of them disappeared into the brush. He raised his hammer turning towards Lemere a cocky smile on his face. “The day is ours!”

                “Not likely.” Lemere replied taking in a breath she walked over to her partner pressing a fist against his shoulder. She was only mildly surprised when in didn’t give.

                Alaster eyed her taken aback by her sudden gesture. “Woman?” he questioned as Lemere openly leered at him.

                “They’ll be back.” She spoke her words becoming increasingly more agitated. “There more like dogs than cats, and if they bring an alpha with them?!”

                “Let them come!” He puffed his chest. “They’ll learn the pain of northern man’s fist.”

                “You just never learn do you?!” Lemere yelled surprising them both. She pressed a hand against her chest calming herself down. “This isn’t just about getting your fix of fighting and carnage.”  She walked over to Alaster retrieving the statue of Volsta strapped to his back. She looked it over touching it gingerly it had received a few chips and scuffs from their skirmish. “You have no idea how important these games are.” Her voice was almost a whisper and her eyes had a far off look.

                “Where’s all this coming from?” Alaster questioned. He wouldn’t admit it but her outburst made him a little ashamed and dare he say concerned. “You’ve never complained about my methods before.”

                “Well this is different.” Lemere addressed him seeming regain some awareness. “There’s more at stake than just our lives.”

                Alaster grunted at the last remark out of words or retorts. He hoisted his hammer over his shoulder and fell in line behind her. It was then he decided he would never fully understand women.

 

                The pair continued through the forest at a light pace. They were taking a different route back in hopes of throwing the lynx of their trail. What seemed like hours had past without so much as purr being heard through the brush. If they were being followed Alaster had to admit he wouldn’t be able to tell. What concerned him more was Lemere, she had been quiet since her little episode and that was unnatural. One of the things that annoyed him the most about her is that she usually never shut up. She was always going on about her friends or, family or, something that happened at her little bar. Yet now she seemed lost in thought. It suddenly occurred to him that he had never bothered to ask why they had entered these games. At first he didn’t care, he assumed they had entered for the reason any warrior would; the sport  of it, the glory you gain from crushing your peers in fair combat. Her sudden silent treatment made him reconsider, but what possible reason could she have? She seemingly had everything an amazon could ask for. Freedom, family, a place all her own, even a strong northern man to drag around as her personal slave. What more could she want?

                He jogged up to her grabbing her shoulder. She stopped looking at him expectantly raising an eyebrow.

                “Yes.” She turned to face him slightly taken by the look of sincerity he had.

                Alaster paused for a moment forming his thoughts. “Be hones t with me.” He said. “Why are we-“

                “Do you smell that?” Lemere interrupted her face contorting signifying it was something foul.

                Alaster breathed in and nearly gagged from the scent. He couldn’t place it but it was familiar. “Orion’s Beard!” he exclaimed.

                They both followed the scent until it became clear what was so familiar about. Lemere pushed past a bushel of ferns to stumble across the body of lynx mail spread eagle across a fallen over tree trunk. His body was covered in slash marks and stab wounds.

                “Did the lynx do this?” Alaster asked.

                “No.” Lemere answered. She turned the body over showing a burn mark on his left side under his pectoral. It was the only part of his body not lightly covered in fur. It was in the shape of a fish swimming encircling another. “Look, this man was an Kerla Si.” Lemere was worried this man seemed familiar and Urlak Si don’t usually travel this deep into the forest alone.

                Alaster turned away from the corpse to investigate the surroundings the leaves around the area were covered in blood. “Who could have done this?”

                “Another team perhaps.” Lemere proposed. “Killing isn’t forbidden.” As she continued looking she gasped peering under the fallen log. Leaning against the side covered mostly in leaves was the body of an amazon woman. They were competitors. She looked closer at the body. Something seemed off. Her body had no wounds of visible signs of her death. She moved away some of the leaves and lifted the body to lay her out to be identified. They would have to report this so they could have a proper burial. Then she noticed a stream of blood coming from her chest. She removed the woman’s top and discovered a small hole in her sternum the blood was flowing from.

                “What on earth could of caused this?”

                “A gun.” Was Alaster’s answer.

                “A what?”

                “It’s a weapon that fires projectiles at high speed like arrows.”

                “So it’s like a crossbow?”

                “No it’s very different and much more dangerous.”

                Alaster scratched his head at the sight of the wound. “They’re very rare it’s surprising that another contestant would have one.”  He looked at the amazon her face was in complete shock. She clearly didn’t know what it was that killed her. “The lynx don’t think we did this do they?”

                “That would explain why they’re so excited.” Lemere thought out loud. “They’re very protective of their own kind. If they think we killed one of them on their territory they’ll hunt us down.”

                Suddenly whispers could be heard from the treetops and the sound of something moving between the branches.

                “We need to move!” Lemere shouted taking off into the jungle. Alaster followed instantly on her heels. 

 

End Notes:

I think this chapter might be a little short but hey the next one has Al fighting a giant cat monster with his bare hands! Also lets break forty comments with this one YEAH! I KNOW WE CAN DO IT!

Chapter 24: Will by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

What's this a new chapter? How about that!

Trials Chapter 24: Will

 

                The concept of a horde was not lost on Alaster. He had faced hordes of men, ogres, the ice apes of Mount Orion. So when Lemere described the mass of lynx pursuing them as a horde he had to question her observational skills. What was chasing them now was not a horde, not even a legion. The best he could compare it word he could find was avalanche.An avalanche of lynx had been following them silently hiding in the canopy and until they saw fit to make their presence known. Now they were upon them in full force as the terrain behind them seemed to disappear under the sheer number of their feline pursuers. He felt a quiver in his back that ran up to his neck, his heart quickened and he knew that he was afraid; not only for him but Lemere as well.

                The time for subtlety was over. Alaster took the lead propelling himself through the vicious growth caring nothing for the roots or thorns bludgeoning a path much like earlier, Lemere hot on his heels. Unfortunately she was also burdened by that cumbersome statue. She often had to correct her footing slowing her down. 

                “Dammit! Drop the statue!” Alaster yelled.

                “I would rather die!” Lemere protested. Suddenly an arrow shot from the treetops ahead of them pinning itself in her right arm. She let out a brief gasp and faltered slightly. This was all the opportunity a lynx needed to pounce onto her back driving sharp claws deep into her sides. Alaster broke his gait turning to see her ripping the cat from her with her good arm and tossing it aside. He bent down to grab her hand.

                “You alright?!” he reached. She didn’t grab his hand. She didn’t reply. Alaster saw fear plastered on her face as she stared behind him. He turned to see the avalanche encroaching from the front. He turned again to see them encroaching from the sides. The lynx had overtaken them. They were cut off.

 

                Lillian stared into the pool as it reflected the image of two warriors surrounded on all sides by enemies. The light trees had many mysterious properties that even Lillian didn’t fully understand. She looked on with morbid curiosity unsure how long the images would last. She would sit and wait and watch until her guest finally decided to show up.

 

                “On your feet Lemere.” Alaster ordered. This was perhaps the first time he ever addressed her by name. “If we die, we die with honor. “ The amazon pulled herself off the ground ready to face their inevitable demise. For a moment Alaster looked at this woman standing firmly by his side doing things he thought impossible of any woman. “There will be a place for you in Orion’s hall.” He stated

                “If I die I don’t want to be in any afterlife that has you in it.” She smirked.

                Alaster roared with laughter. “So be it then!” Both ran forward resolute into the lynx.

 

                Lemere was surprised In herself. Never had she fought this hard. She swung the statue like a club with her good arm not sure where her energy was coming from. It was as if her body knew this would be her last battle and was determined to use all its reserves to die in a blaze of glory. Still she was even more surprised in Alaster. He had taken a defensive position to her back seeming to pick up on whatever was giving her such force. He had given her the offensive, content to deflect and distract. Every time an arrow shot by or an assailant stepped closer he was there to keep them at bay. Why?

                 Alaster stared at the blood streaming down Lemere’s side. She hadn’t noticed. It wasn’t the arrow wound that was dangerous but the scratches from that first lynx attack. They were fairly shallow but they were still bleeding. Even his own shallow scrapes where still trickling. These cats where different they had darker fur, slitted eyes and some sort of poison on their claws soon they would both bleed out from bug bites. The only hope they had was if he could limit their damage and wait for an opportunity to flee. Chances where they would both die but maybe just maybe he could keep her alive he owed her that much.

                Lemere continued her wild assault smashing the statue of Volsta against the lynx. The goddess would be proud to see her visage used as a weapon. Lemere laughed to herself for a moment no longer caring about death and relishing in the high of battle. She was about to lose her chance at the only thing she’d ever wanted. If these were her last moments she was going to enjoy it.

                Lemere was laughing. That wasn’t a good sign. Unlike him she found little enjoyment in battle. He had heard rumors that some amazons experience a sense of euphoria in their final battle. Some call it embracing the goddess. He hoped her goddess was looking down on them now because without a miracle soon she would die and then so would he.

 

                “Another unexpected guest?” Lillian remarked. “I thought you would’ve run off by now?”

                “I think I’m starting to like your company.” Ellie purred. She sauntered over next to Lillian taking a seat in her lap. “They seem quite desperate.” She mused to herself observing the pair fighting for their lives reflected in the pool. She started nudging lightly at Lillian’s hands signifying the want to be petted.

                The amazon sighed in compliance and started scratching her behind the ears. “Such a spoiled girl you are.”

                “It’s no less than what I deserve.” She turned focusing on the images in front of them. She poked a finger into the water sending ripples across the vision of the struggling warriors “They are going to die.”

                “Unfortunately.” Lillian agreed.

                “They had so much potential.” Ellie curled into a ball burying herself into Lily’s lap. She yawned and grinned slightly. “Yes they will die. Just like the rest of you.” She whispered. 

End Notes:

Seems things are becoming a bit of a mess for everyone, but trust me when I say there is more to all of this. I hope you will understand if the chapters are taking a little longer to update. That's only because I've finally gotten to the parts I really want to write and I'm trying to give them the time they need. I'm actually really excited. As always I appreciate comments. Even negative ones....Not that I'm asking for it.

Chapter 25: Alpha by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

I told you I was excited!

Trials Chapter 25: Alpha

                Lemere was down. Her body collapsed on the ground among the rubble that was once the statue of Volsta and a number of lynx bodies either unconscious or dead. Blood was still seeping from her open wounds, but she was still breathing and that was all Alaster needed to continue fighting.

                “What!?” Lillian gasped under her breath. She wasn’t entirely sure she had heard correctly. It must have been her age catching up with her.

                Ellie turned her head gazing into Lily’s eyes and as they met she could see something in the cat something resolute, something old. “I said you will all die today. I hope that’s not a problem.” She continued to smile nestled against her.

                “This isn’t time for one of your games, Ellie.” She commanded.

                “I think it’s the perfect time.” She rose from Lillian’s lap to sit across from her. She leaned into the pool taking of few laps of water. “We only have to decide which one.”

                “Who are you?”

                “Oh! That’s a good game!” Ellie cheered. “If you can figure it out I’ll spare them.” She was beaming with anticipation. In the pool it one of the warriors had completely collapsed. “You might want to hurry I don’t think they have much time.”

 

                Alaster was cornered. He had managed to pin Lemere and himself against a large tree, the trunk alone seemed as wide as a house. With it to his back he knew they couldn’t surround him but he also had no escape. The lynx had stopped their encroachment giving him and the reach of his hammer a wide berth. He had taught them the danger of getting too close, but his wounds were still bleeding. The scratches were starting the fester and his body was going numb. He could hear the lynx taunting him and see the smirks on their faces. They were going to wait him out. They had already won.

 

                “You have three gues...” Ellie smiled.

                “You’re an alpha.” Lillian guessed immediately. “A leader of the lynx and their closest equivalent to a queen.”

                “Wow that was fast!” Ellie beamed. “I didn’t think you’d agree so quickly.”

                “Well?” said Lillian sternly and impatient.

                “No. You’re wrong. Alpha’s are ten feet tall and have golden fangs.” She grinned widely showing her sharp canines. “That was a good guess though.”

                Alaster never fully understood the amazon’s life debt. Apparently it was how they found mates. Yet Lemere hadn’t once alluded to any romantic interest in him and for the most part it was mutual. Instead she dragged him around like a servant during her different escapades. Yet now he felt something. In these last moments he had felt some sort of comradery he hadn’t expected. He could remember the day they had met, the day he was betrayed by his own men and to his embarrassment he was saved by a women. Now was the day he would repay that debt back. Alaster dropped his hammer.

 

                “I’ll give you a hint.” Ellie smiled. “I’m really, really old.”

                “That’s not much of hint.” Lillian grumbled.

                “That was the point.” She giggled.

                Lillian frowned. She wasn’t used to being manipulated and she detested games even more. She looked at Ellie; behind her mischievous demeanor she could see the darkness behind it. Her eyes were more slanted, her fur was darker, and she seemed to be growing infinitely more dangerous by the minute. Even the streams of light that broke the darkness of the canopy seemed to pass through her. It was then Lillian was reminded of the stories she heard as a child. For so long she had dismissed those tales as myths for scaring children. She had forgotten this forest was a resting place for spirits. This forest was haunted.

                “You’re a ghost.” She tried. “The vengeful spirit of a lynx named Ellie who was hunted down by the amazons during the ten year war.”

                Ellie burst into hysterical laughter.

                “Am a wrong!?”

                “I never expected an answer like that from you!” She tried to stifle her giggles but they kept coming out.

                “Am I wrong!?” Lillian repeated. She was growing increasingly annoyed.

                “Yes and no.” Ellie answered behind her laughter. “I am a spirit but I’m far older than that. So you’re half right. Unfortunately being half right doesn’t count.”

                The hammer was never Alaster’s weapon of choice. From boyhood all Northerner’s both men and women learned how to defend themselves with their fists and that was what he excelled at. When his hammer fell the lynx foolishly thought he had relented and eagerly rushed in for the finishing blow. That was a mistake. One punch knocked an assailant backward into the crowd forging a temporary path through the crowd. Alaster went on the offensive rampaging barehanded. Not a single lynx was permitted to pass his blockade. He no longer cared about defense or injury each scrape or scratch was returned tenfold.

                The lynx soon learned to back of content to wait him out picking at him with arrows, but that wouldn’t work this time. His blood was up and he knew he would die. He charged determined that this time he would be their tormentor.

 

                “You have one guess left.” Ellie teased. “You better hurry if you want to save them.”

                Lillian was legitimately stumped. Ellie had played them all for fools. What was she and how could she possibly have the power to save those two or kill them all? For a moment she thought this might all be one of her pranks, some elaborate scheme to make her look like a full, yet as time passed she felt less and less like her authority had any merit. It was as if she were with a being so far above her that nothing she could do would matter. She had only felt like this once and that was in the presence of the goddess herself.

                Lemere wasn’t moving. Alaster had managed to clear a path for the amazon but she still laid motionless on the ground. He was losing hope not able to see if she was even breathing anymore. He swore if she was dead he would kill them all.

                It was impossible. The sisters had left centuries ago. She couldn’t possibly be one of them. The only things she knew older than them were legends. Suddenly he found himself alone. The cats had retreated into the branches above. Had he managed to scare them off? He tried to keep his stance but with the immediate danger over he collapsed to the ground in exhaustion wanting nothing more than to close his eyes and see the shining halls of Orion, but he couldn’t give in. He crawled over to Lemere and smiled. Somehow she was still breathing. Summoning what minor strength he had left he hoisted her over his shoulder. He wasn’t sure where they were or how much time they had left but as long as he was still alive he still had hope.  He limped toward the direction he best thought was the way back to town when he heard a loud roar. The birds in the trees scattered in fear. Out of the trees lunged a monster, ten feet tall, covered in dark fur, brandishing fierce golden fangs.

 

                “What is your last guess?”

                “Your, Ellisandra the spirit of the forest.” She whispered unable to believe what she had just said. “Y-You struck a deal with Celina to protect the forest and it’s people in exchange for a home for hers.”

                The cat said nothing for a moment. Her once cheerful face had turned mournful and solemn.

                “Your right.” She murmured. “But they broke that promise.” She stood up to her full height looking taller than she actually was. “Your people have brought war and destruction into my home, even now my children die by your hands.”

                “The war wasn’t are fault!” Lillian defended. “It was man who invaded and-“

                “And whose was supposed to prevent that very thing from happening!” She yelled. “Even after the war I gave you amazon’s a second chance there are two sides to every story after all. I spent years among you in different forms.” As she continued to talk Ellie changed into different forms, some she recognized, but most she didn’t until finally she was again Ellie the lynx slave. “Till I found this girl, but a child slain and dishonored by a group of marauders. Living as her I discovered not only where you amazons just as cruel as the humans you hold such little regard for, but that you’ve learned nothing from your past mistakes.”

                Lillian remained silent. For once she felt like the child being scolded.

                “And now you’re on the brink of another war. One that threatens to be more devastating than the last.” She crouched down again staring at the pool. One of the pair was grappling desperately with an alpha. The apex predator had him pinned against the ground. “I just want you all to leave.”

                “What about our deal?” Lillian pointed towards the pool. “What about them?”

                “Yes, I suppose you did win our little game.” Ellie snapped her fingers and a gust of wind blew through the canopy causing a small branch to dislodge and plummeted towards the ground. “They will live.” She then walked back toward Lillian once again resting within her lap.

                “And the rest of us?” asked.

                “That remains to be seen.” Ellie proceeded to nudge at Lillian’s hands purring and looking up at her expectant.

                Lillian returned her gaze with questioning eyebrow.

                “Don’t make me ask.” Ellie purred.

                If she wasn’t so tired she might have been surprised. She scratched the spoiled cat behind her ears. “Good kitty.”

 

 

                Ramsey heard is name and awoke in the cold darkness. He was shivering.

                “Ramsey wake up.” He heard again. He couldn’t make out who it was but he was getting louder.

                “I think he’s dead.” He heard another voice. They sounded so familiar.

                “Wake up soldier!” It yelled

                He eyes snapped open and he saw the face of a man that looked strangely familiar. He had short blonde hair and green eyes. He was dressed in a very familiar uniform and on his chest was familiar badge with the symbol of an owl.

                “He lives!” he heard someone shout.

                The man extended him a hand and raised him up off the ground. He looked into his face and smiled laughing joyously and slapping him on the back. “Ramsey Lench welcome back to the scouting legion.”

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Well I hope this placates you Alaster fans. If Alaster fans even exist, because we probably won't be seeing him for a while. We finally return to our "main character" Ramsey and his life of continous failure and hardship. Don't worry Kiri and her situation will be resolved soon as well. See you next time and remember to comment....or you know whatever.

Chapter 26: Birds by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

New chapter and a bit of Ramsey's past.

Trials Chapter 26: Birds

 

                Ramsey looked hard into the man’s eyes. He recognized the face but couldn’t remember who it was. The name was on his tongue a whisper in his mouth that just couldn’t form.

                The man slapped his back with a laugh. “Have you been lost for so long you’ve forgotten your friends?”

                Ramsey looked at the man he was wearing a Qwalis military uniform. It was green and on his chest was a similar badge with a Storm hawk symbol on it. “Burns?”

                The man’s eyes brightened and he embraced Ramsey. “We thought you were dead.” He turned and gestured toward the rest of the party a young man not much older than Ramsey and middle aged one with balding grey hair and wide brimmed glasses. Ramsey recognized them immediately.

                “Thelin, Elroy?”

                The younger one had red spiked hair. His eyes beamed and he elbowed the older one with a smirk. “Pay up.” He demanded.  The older one grumbled immediately producing a small pouch he tossed it with the distinct jingle of coins inside.

                “You couldn’t have just been dead.” The old man grumbled turning his attention towards a series of maps scattered about the ground. Upon further observation Ramsey noticed a small camp had been established with a meager tent and temporary fire.

                It was all starting to come back. Ramsey couldn’t believe that he had so easily forgotten his life before the forest or the amazons. He wrapped his arms around himself partly from the cold within him and the shock of his sudden memories. The red head was on him throwing him a heavy hooded cloak they had all been sporting.

                “Seems you’ve gone native on us.” Thelin bumped his shoulder pointing out his foreign attire.

                “What happened?” Ramsey asked. “What are you all doing here?”

                “I should be asking you that!” Thelin said. “Who told you to come out here on your own?”

                “T-The commander.” Ramsey stuttered. It was hard to recall after so much had happened.

                “Now’s not the time.” Burns interrupted. “Ramsey needs to be checked out and brought up to speed. Call Dove.”

                “Ahh she’s gonna be pissed.” Thelin stepped back taking in a breath. He put two fingers in his mouth and let out a whistle. It was the call of a northern snow dove. Burns grabbed Ramsey’s arm and led him into the tent.

 

                Christine was in her element. She clung to the tree tops ever watching and ever silent. Her footfalls quiet , her breath undetectable. She was a dove, a field medic. That’s what it said on her badge and that’s what it said on her uniform. Still she always wanted to be a crow. She spent years training to be better, faster, quieter than the boys and they made her a dove, probably because she was a woman. Yet now there squad was so small everyone had to pull double duty which meant she could be a crow if only for a while.

                She peered downward at the trio. She had been following them for a few hours gathering intelligence. For what she didn’t know, the commanded hadn’t seen fit to give any information. Still she looked onward in awe at the amazons. She had heard rumors of their great size and strength but seeing it was almost beyond belief. They were massive each at least twelve feet tall. There was one who was truly a giant she carried the other two on her shoulders. One was sitting content while the other was flung over the other struggling in her bindings.

                “What for?” She thought. “Do amazons make slaves of other amazons.” She didn’t know if this was pertinent but she made note of it none the less. Suddenly her ears twitch and she her a whistle coming a ways off. It was the call of a northern snow dove, her call. She pulled out her journal and jotted down the trio’s last known location. They were heading west towards the amazon village. Then she disappeared into the trees.

 

                “Gods your cold!” Elroy spat. He added a thin blanket to Ramsey’s cloak as the soldier continued to shiver. His skin was still very pale. “How have you survived out here so long by yourself?”

                Ramsey paused. He wasn’t sure how he should answer that question. More than that his thoughts were dominated with thoughts of Christine Hasrick codename Dove, she was on a short list of women he didn’t want to see. “The amazons captured me.” He said deciding to play it safe. He wasn’t exactly lieing.

                “Did they take you to their city?!” Elroy questioned suddenly excited. “How tall are they? Can they really talk to animals? What’s there architecture like? Did you meet their queen? Are they immortal like the legends say?”

                Ramsey knew this behavior. When Elroy found a new research topic he often became obsessed. There was a reason he was the Owl of their squad.

                “Did you meet the commander?” Burn interjected.

                “What?” Ramsey raised an eyebrow.

                “He infiltrated the city some time ago.” Burn informed

                “Why?”

                “I’m not entirely sure, but I know he’s trying to find a weakness. A chink in the Amazonian armor.”
                “What’s this about?” Ramsey was becoming very nervous at this new information. Commander Slate was a very harsh man.”      

                “THIS!” Elroy sparked. He flapped open a large parchment on it was a detailed illustration of a large tree. “Light trees.” He almost gasped in amazement. “King Raymond’s greatest ambition!”

                Burns shot the scholor a glare and just shook his head in annoyance and disappointment.  “The late King fought for ten years to get his hands on them.”

                “I still don’t understand.” Ramsey stared at both men confused. “What’s so special about a tree.”
                “Immortality!” Elroy waved his hand in a bit of showmenship. “The trees are the key to the amazons great strength and vitality.”

                The outburst earned another look from burns. “I don’t know about that but they’ve captured the commander’s interest. Anything you could’ve heard about them might be important.”

                Ramsey just stared confused. Immortality? Light trees? This was the first time he’d heard of either. He wasn’t sure what he should share. Should he tell them about the games or Kiri? No! No matter what he couldn’t betray her.

                Suddenly Thelin burst through the tent. “Dove’s back.”

                “I can speak for myself Pecker.” Said a short woman with white hair and thin features.

                “I told you not to call me that!” Thelin wined earning a small strike at the shoulder.

                “What’s the problem?” she said. Then she suddenly froze as her amber eyes met Ramsey’s tears welling within them.

                Ramsey just stood motionless under her gaze. He saw the worry and hurt in the eyes of quite possibly his closest friend. They had went through the academy together, she and Thelin were probably the reason he even survived to graduate. When she joined the scouting legion he had just followed her. The air hung for a moment stale and tense.

                “We can’t get his body temperature up.” Owl snorted not much for tact. “Lad’s a damned icicle.”

                Christine reached into a pouch on her belt and pulled out some crushed red leaves. Without warning she shoved them forcefully into Ramsey’s mouth. Almost instantly the color returned to his face. He gagged and spit out his tongue at the burning caused by fire weeds. With equally little warning she struck the soldier hard in the face causing him to bite his tongue.

                “Where the fuck have you been?!” she cried as a single tear ran down her cheek.

 

End Notes:

Here you go folks. I can say with confidence and without commiting myself to chapter numbers that were getting pretty close to the end. I'm trying to keep it a suprise but your all pretty smart and have probably figured it out already. Anyway please comment.

Chapter 27: Scout's Honor by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

New chapter!

Trials Chapter 27: Scout’s Honor

                Familiarity, that’s what he felt. As he brushed his cheek the sting of Christine’s punch resonated with warm familiarity. Ramsey had been lost for so long, surrounded on all sides by a world he didn’t understand and everyday felt like he was being pulled deeper into. That sting, her punch, her dark hair, even her face that strained as she tried to hold back her emotions brought him back to a simpler time when he was just a simple cadet trying to survive the academy. He could not hold himself back.

                “Christine!” he shouted immediately he embraced her lifting her slightly in a hug.

                The motion caught her off guard. She fell backward in his arms before being pressed against his chest. She wanted to enjoy it. It had been so long and they had all been so worried, but she couldn’t they were still on mission and there was business to attend to. She pressed her elbow into one of his ribs he immediately recoiled with a heavy grunt. Christine noticed him grasping his left side. It was clear he was in worse condition then he looked, and he looked like shit. He was thinner, his hair was neck long and shaggy and he was even starting to sport a beard. She removed her pack pulling out a set of bandages.

                Ramsey stood awkwardly as Christine went to inspect him. It was embarrassing being examined in front of everyone especially after being gone for so long.

                “How long have you been out her by yourself she asked.” He winced at the question and the pain as she wrapped the tight bindings around his bruised abdomen.

                “Four months.” He replied.

                “Bullshit.” She replied coldly not bothering to look up at him. “YOU who could barely pass a basic field survival test somehow managed to live four months in this deathtrap.”

                “I was a prisoner for more three of them.” He smiled sheepishly hoping she and the rest of his squad would believe his half-truth.

                “The amazons?” she questioned. The words were like ice on her lips. He could already see the hate in her eyes as she spoke them. Ramsey never dared to ask why she hated them but he had his ideas. He could only nod in response.

                “Isn’t it amazing!?” Elroy interrupted. The old man fumbled with his drawings, rolling them up and placing them in their own specific tubes. “He’s been among them! Even as a prisoner he must have learned so much. What are their prisons like? What were they going to do with you? Kill you? Interrogate you? What do they feed prisoners?

                The entire group shot him a glare causing the old man to grumble. “You uncultured brats would deny a man of science the right to question! Heathens! All of you!” He continued to organize his documents.

                Christine continued her examination noticing small scars and scratches circling towards his back. “Take of your shirt.” She ordered.

                Ramsey hesitated. “I’m fine Christine, trust me.” He looked over to Burns hoping he would give the okay.

                He just shot him a wry smile and shook his head. “You have valuable intel on the amazon city and are too valuable now to be cleared without a proper examination.”

                “Come, on!” he begged.

                “You know you can’t argue with her.” Burns smiled.

                Ramsey looked to Christine. She was completely stone faced, her cute features dampening the desired effect. “Shirt off!” she repeated.

                Ramsey turned and pulled off his top revealing a plethora of fresh cuts and scabs that were in the process of scarring over. He could hear and audible gasp from the entire group. He crossed his arms covering his other equally shocking scar.

                “What happened?” Christine asked in a mix of amazement at the sight and terror at the horrors Ramsey must have endured.

                “Razor back.” He informed. “It caught me by surprise one day.”

                “And you survived!” Thelin asked. Even humans knew the raw savagery the creatures were capable of.

                “There was only one!” Ramsey continued. “And something else killed it before It could kill me.”

                “Something else?” Christine gave him an accusing look. “Like what?”

                “I don’t know.” Ramsey replied. “I didn’t get a good look I just ran as fast as I could.” Ramsey shook slightly nervous. He was so close to full on lying now. He could’ve told them about Ellie or maybe even his teacher, but that would only lead to more questions that he was even less comfortable answering.

                “Turn around. “ Christine commanded. Ramsey slowly turned his arms still crossed covering his front. Christine blushed slightly taking in his body full on. He was thinner yes but he almost seemed stronger and more well-built. The differences were minor but he all around seemed more confident, more capable. Still as she looked into his eyes he still seemed strangely defensive like he was hiding something. “Uncross your arms.”

                “This isn’t enough.” He defended. “As you can see I might be a little worse for wear but I’m perfectly capable of holding my own.”

                “UNCROSS THEM!” She barked.

                Ramsey in a last ditch effort turned towards his commanding officer. Surely this was enough for him? Burns just shrugged indifferently.

                 Christine was now staring daggers at him. Any longer and she would just pry his arms away herself. He reluctantly dropped his arms to his side revealing a dark scar burned into his abdomen right above his heart. It was in the shape of a crescent moon surrounded by a blazing sun.

 

                Her vision had returned. Kiri knew this because she was now quite nauseous from the disorientation of the ground moving beneath her. She could knew she was traveling but not under her own power. Than whose? Maybe Ramsey? Where was he?

                “Rmmmsy?” she groaned. Her throat was dry. Unnaturally dry. “Rmmsy. Wttrrr.” She repeated. Suddenly the movement stopped. An open canteen was presented to her. She opened her mouth and eagerly lapped up the water as it clumsily poured onto her face. Soon she had too much and started coughing as some went down her airway.

                “Sorry.” She heard in a familiar voice. It was warm, sweet and maternal, definitely not Ramsey’s.

                “Auntie Dixie?” she mumbled. “Where’s Ramsey?”

                “He’s gone.” Came another familiar voice, this one far harsher and colder, but with just a hint of warmth that was imperceptible to anyone who didn’t know it. Doratea. Then the memories came back. The fight, the fire, her sister’s power, when had she and Dixie made a pact? Wasn’t that treason!? Where was Dixie’s mark?

                “Where’s Ramsey?!” she shrieked. “Give him to me! He’s mine!” She struggled to free herself from Dixie only to realize she had been bound by her hands and feet.

                “Calm down Kiri.” Doratea instructed. Her voice was a calm contrast to her sister’s panic.

                “NO!” she screamed. Her thrashing finally managed to free her from Dixie. She landed face first on the hard ground earning a mouthful of dirt and leaves. “I swear if you hurt him I’ll!” She tugged against her restraints the thick vines only tightening with her increased efforts.

                Doratea sighed as she dismounted Dixie’s other shoulder. It was painful to see her sister in such agony, but she had to trust this was all for the best. She cautiously approached her manic sister who was actively wiggling in a desperate attempt at escape. She knelt down placing a hand on her cheek wiping the tears from Kiri’s eyes. “I haven’t done anything to him.”

                Kiri calmed down almost instantly. Her tears had stopped and her breath was slowing. “Then where is he?” She asked.

                “I don’t know.”

 

                “He’s a Kerla Si!” Elroy shouted just a bit too loud surprising everyone.

                Ramsey shuttered at his knowledge of the familiar term

                “A what Si?” Thelin turned.

                “Men captured by the amazon and harvested for their seed!” he continued.

                Everyone turned to Ramsey in mixed stares of anger and intrigue. His body immediately went pale. “I have no idea!?”

                “Clarification.” Burns ordered back to the owl.

                Elroy gave a smug smile and cleared his throat in pride. Now they were ready to listen. “It’s common fact that the amazons are a mono-gendered society.”

                “Yeah.” Christine fumed. She hated when Elroy knew something they didn’t. He had a habit of granting vital information in extended pontification.

                “Well that’s fine except for one major flaw.” Elroy paused for effect. “Sustainability, if a race is all one gender how have they survived this long? Where do their children come from?”

                “I always thought they were human like us.” Thelin informed.

                “As did many.” The owl continued. “But my research has made a vital discovery.” Another pause. “Something in there body makes it so they produce female offspring ninety percent of the time and the female always grows up with increased height and strength. It’s quite amazing based on the reports from our foreign ambassador say they can crush boulders in their bare hands and reach heights of up to fifty feet! ”

                “The POINT ELROY!” Christine snapped.

                “I’m getting to it.” He defended. “With the chance of a male child being born maybe once in twenty with odds like that the whole race would die out in a few generations, there definitely wouldn’t be enough for a whole army capable of sustaining and winning a ten-year war with a neighboring country like ours.”

                “Out with it man!” Thelin raised his hands in the air tired of the go around.

                “Slaves!” Elroy blurted. “Sex slaves to be precise. My theory is that for decades, maybe even centuries amazon’s have been kidnapping men from neighboring civilizations and enslaving them for the sole purpose of propagating their species. That mark on his chest is a sign of ownership.” He pointed to Ramsey. “Our poor boy here must have been subjected to night after night of unconditional mating with countless Amazonian partners!”

                Ramsey was frozen. Eyes blank and face pale, Christine shot him a glare of pure hate as her face turned red, Thelin broke out into hysterical laughter and Elroy gave him a sleezy eyebrow raise. Burns was the only one who managed to keep his composure.

                “Is any of this true?” he questioned and Ramsey met his stern gaze.

                “This is the first I’ve heard of it?” he managed.

                “I don’t suppose you have any proof Owl?” Burns addressed.

                “Well….no.” Elroy admitted. “As I said it’s just a theory but how else do you explain it?!”

                Burns shook his head. “I think we’ve entertained this enough. We have work to do.” He turned to Christine. “Is he clear for duty?”

                She nodded in confirmation.

                “Good!” he reached behind his back and produced a strange device tossing it to Ramsey.

                He inspected it. The device was silver and metallic with a rounded tube on one end that fed into another larger piece with a small tab sticking out. He pulled it back and it made and audible click. That led to a firm wooden grip with leather wrapping with a sparrow engraved on it which itself was attached to a trigger. He placed his index finger in a pulled it. Suddenly the device jerked and the larger tube peace rotated clockwise and the device clicked again.

                “It’s your new standard issue soldier. A weapon from the east called a gun. Thelin will teach you how to use it.”

                “Ay, sir.” Thelin nodded.

                “Work quick.” Burns continued. “We start hunting at nightfall.”

                “Hunting?” Ramsey questioned as Thelin led him out the tent.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Well now we know whose been killing the amazons. And their such a likable group of murderers too. 

Chapter 28: Reunion by MrSirk
Author's Notes:

No I haven't forgotten about this. 

Trials Chapter 28: Reunion

                Celina marched with authority through the hallways of her temple all the while she cursed Lillian. That bitch could never give straight answers. Her words still buzzed in her head like a hive of angry fire wasps. Could she really trust Lucinda? She didn’t want to believe it. They’d only known each other a short while but she’d felt a companionship with the young queen she hadn’t felt in years, but it all made too much sense.  She had a vendetta against them. Celina had been there herself when they executed her father. He’d cackled like a mad dog till the very end. It would explain the killings. One of her soldiers was competing in the games!

                “NO!” she stopped herself. She wouldn’t believe anything until she confronted Lucinda herself. She soon reached the door of the room Lucinda had been staying in. She placed a hand on the door. Her hand was shaking.

“For goddess sake I’m trembling.” She said noting the cracks in her voice. Why did this scare her so much? She took a deep breath and pushed open the door. What she saw surprised her.

“Sorry your highness there’s been an incident.” Said a guardian she knew as a senior; instead of blue robes she wore a dark red. The room was filled with half a dozen more inspecting the area which was in complete shambles. Chairs were scattered and broken. There was blood splattered on the northern most wall near a broken window and the sheets were missing. Celina’s heart skipped.

“Is she?”

“No.” the elder cut her off. She rubbed a finger through her greying hair tied in a braid that ran past her waist.

“What happened here?” Celina demanded.

 

He was fast now, faster than he’d ever been. As their squad sped through the forest treetops Celina was surprised that Ramsey easily the worst tree walker at the academy was not only keeping up he was setting the pace! Whatever had happened to him in the forest had changed him seemingly for the better. She had to crack a smile as Burns and Elroy struggled at the back of the pack unable to keep speed without sacrificing footing. Thelin for his part was keeping up if only barely. It was just her and Ramsey in the lead and he didn’t even look like he was exerting himself. Christine suddenly got the itch to push how far he could go.

“Halt!” she barked and immediately he stopped on a large branch just ahead of them. She joined him on the branch soon followed by Thelin and after half a minute both Burns and Elroy came upon the same branch. Burns seemed fine but Elroy was bent over desperately trying to catch his breath. It was a miracle he was even out here the poor man was over fifty and he was also burdened by his maps and other supplies he insisted on carrying with him in the name of “science”.

“There a reason we’ve stopped specialist?” Burns questioned.

“When did that happened?” Ramsey asked in surprise.

“You’ve been gone a while.” Christine smirked. She turned to address Burns. “We’re close to the area I last spotted a group of three, about a hundred yards that way.” She pointed her finger forward.

Ramsey jumped slightly at the number three.

“So why have we stopped?” Burns asked with annoyance.

                Christine’s mouth formed a wide grin and her eyes narrowed slightly. “I think it’s time we see what Ramsey can do with one of our little wagers.”

                “What?” Ramsey gave a puzzled look.

                “Oh! We’re gonna have a go dove!” Thelin cheered in excitement suddenly bouncing on his heels.

                “I don’t think now is an appropriate time.” Burns expressed.

                “Oh please captain. You must have noticed.” Christine nudged Ramsey with her elbow. “Are little sparrow’s finally grown a decent pair of wings.”

                Burns scratched his chin and scrunched his face. He knew she was playing him but he couldn’t pass down a chance as schooling his recruits. They were growing cocky as of late.

                “Fine.” He finally uttered.

                “You can’t be serious?!” Elroy protested.

                “You can officiate owl.” Burns informed.

                “You kids and your competitions, someone’s always got to be the best.” He huffed and he went on ahead at a leisurely pace to another branch about a hundred yards ahead.

                “I’ll put of twenty pieces.” Thelin chimed before bending down into a starting position.

                “I’ll match.” Burns added.

                “What’s happening?” Ramsey interjected.

                “It hasn’t been that long.” Christine smiled Taking position next to Thelin. “I’ll double.”

                Ramsey couldn’t help but chuckle when it dawned on him what was about to happen. He took a starting position at the end next to Christine.

                “I don’t have any money.” He informed.

                “Well then I guess you’ll just be racing for respect.” Christine stuck a tongue out at him.

                They all looked out towards Elroy who had one hand raised into the air.

                “3, 2, 1!” he shouted and dropped his hand. In an instant they were off.

 

                Kiri had regained her strength and was now walking. She trailed behind Doratea her head hung low in shame. She wasn’t bound but she dared not try to escape. She might be able to evade Dora if she was lucky but not Dixie. The giant amazon kept a few paces behind to stop any attempts.

                It had been tense travel as the trio wondered through the forest in no particular direction. It seemed Dora was content to wander in circles for the foreseeable future, not uttering a word leaving Kiri to wallow in despair. She had failed. It had been at least a day and if the second round of the games weren’t over yet they soon would be. Not that it mattered. She had no partner. Ramsey was gone and that hurt more. Her only hope was that they’d return to the village soon so she could track down that elf. Dawn was her name. She would break every one of that witches fingers until she spilled what she did to Ramsey, but none of that looked like it was happening anytime soon.

                “Why?” she thought. “Why is she leading us around like this!?” Was Dora trying to prove some point, trying to show what an impetuous child she still was. Trying to show just how little a chance she’d actually stood of winning, of finally finding the truth. That all she could ever do was follow. Forever in her big sister’s shadow to be lead to on her whims.

                “I hate you.” Kiri spat under her breath.

                Dora stopped bringing the small convoy to a halt. She turned and looked upon Kiri with scornful eyes and for a moment Kiri felt like she was only three years old. Then her face softened.

                “This is what you want right?” she reached into her robe retrieving a golden badge. It had a crow emblem on it and looked very similar to one she had seen before.

                Kiri said nothing but couldn’t hide the anxiety on her face.

                “You want to see him again, be with him again, more than your own family.”

                Kiri nodded slowly but remained silent.

                “Why?” Dora asked.

                Kiri had no response. She hadn’t even asked herself that question.

                “Do you love him?” Dora continued.

                Kiri hung her head even lower. “I don’t know.” Was all she could muster.

                “You don’t know, yet you drag him into our lives, our homes, our traditions!” her voice was rising now. “ A man we know nothing about. A man who learned our secrets! A man who could be killing our people! Your sisters!”

                “He would never do that!” Kiri screamed. Suddenly Doratea’s hand was on her in a tender embrace wiping away tears she didn’t know she was shedding.

                “I hope your right.” Dora spoke softly. She placed the badge in Kiri’s hand and wrapped her fingers around it. It wasn’t Ramsey’s but the familiarity somehow made her feel a little better.

                “Is that what we’re doing looking for him?” Kiri dared.

                “No.” Doratea answered flatly. “We’re waiting for him to find us.”

                Suddenly a rustle could be heard from the trees above.

 

                “Copper really!” Christine whined holding the spoils of her victory.

                “I never said pieces of what.” Thelin said wearing a cheeky smile purposely showing off his one silver canine.

                Christine grumbled at the remark and her meager winnings. She’d edged out Ramsey who tripped on a stray branch and had to settle for third. All to win what was barely equivalent to lunch money for the group. Why was she the only one who ever carried real coin on her?

                “Fun’s over men.” Burns barked switching straight back to business. He was always good at separating work and fun. By his look you wouldn’t even guess he took second.

                Christine bent down to inspect the ground. There were clear tracts marked in the soil. These amazons certainly weren’t very stealthy. The tracks matched with the direction she’d seen them heading and a clear trail of bent twigs and turned leaves marked a trail that had been recently travelled.

                “It looks like there heading south sir.” Christine informed. “They can’t be more than an hour ahead of us.”

                “Why are we hunting them again?” Ramsey asked. He was still unsure of his squad’s true intentions.

                “Intel.” Burns informed. “Primary objective is to ascertain the location of the light trees. The only ones who know said location are the amazons.”

                “Simple math isn’t it.” Thelin interrupted. “Least that’s how Slate explained it, seems an awful lot a trouble for a few trees and some fairy tale. I think are dear commander’s off his rocker.” Thelin spiraled his index finger next to his left temple.

                “He went insane?” Ramsey didn’t believe it. Tyson Slate was the most grounded man he’d ever met.

                “Way I figure it.” Thelin continued. “He’d been spending lots of time in the library last few months.”

                “Weeks at a time.” Christine clarified. “Before you even left.”

                “Then one day I’m busy cleaning the barracks and wondering what’s happened to me dear pal Ramsey and he comes rushing out laughing like a madman. Next thing I know I’m out here sweating me balls of and hunting giant women!”

                “So we find them then what ask where they keep their magic trees?” Ramsey proposed with a hint of sarcasm.”

                “At first.” Burns agreed.

                “But if not.” Christine added. She pulled out her own revolver spinning the barrel. “We convince them.”

                “Hopefully will have something of importance before we rendezvous.” Burns informed.

                “With Slate?” Ramsey asked.

                “No he has an advanced agent out here.” Burns informed. “Never met the man personally but I’m sure you’ve heard of him.”

                “Who.”

                “Cyrus Gulder.”

                Ramsey froze a cold chill running up his spine. He had heard the name. Everyone in the scouting legion had. Cyrus was a predator, an agent of the elite squad. He was a calm, calculated killer and worst of all he enjoyed it. He was an invisible shadow, a reaper, an assassin. But he had one name he preferred. The same name every member of the elite squad of the unseen stealth squad earned. Crow.

 

                Doratea could smell the blood on him. Before he’d even decided to show himself, that awful scent had permeated the air around him. He had dark hair that covered his eyes and wore a hooded black cloak.

                “I didn’t expect to find someone else so soon.” He said casually. “I’m lost you see and would very much appreciate some help.”

                A lie it was very clear someone had been following them. That’s what she’d intended but this man was not quite what she’d expected. There was something unsettling about the man. He carried himself with far more confidence than a human should. He didn’t seem to fear them at all and his appearance while disheveled was still to immaculate for someone who had been lost in this forest for even the smallest amount of time.

                “I’m looking for this.” He reached into a small pouch and pulled out a small parchment of paper. It had a drawing sketched on it that Doratea recognized instantly; a tree of light.

                “I’m sorry but I have no idea what that is.” Doratea lied.

                “Oh that’s a shame!” The man said in over exaggerated grief. “I was hoping a guardian would know more than the last ones.”

                So he did know more than he let on. This wasn’t good. How much did he know?

                “Could you maybe lead me to your village then?” he requested. “I’ve been lost for days and would very much appreciate a warm meal and a night’s rest.” The man gave a smile taking a step toward them. Doratea instinctively went to block Kiri.

                “Sorry to disappoint you again.” Doratea replied. “But we’re not heading in that direction.”

                “Oh on the contrary!” the man replied. “This is great news for me.”

                Doratea gave him a puzzled look.

                “That just means I can dispose of you like the rest.” He reached into under his cloak and brought out a strange device in his right hand, then a flash a light and a loud boom of thunder.

 

                “Did you hear that?” Ramsey shrieked.

                “A gunshot?” Thelin noted.

                “It’s coming from this way.” Christine pointed towards the direction of the obvious trail she had discovered. She was sure it was a trap for them but it seemed to have been sprung already.

                “Men double time!” Burns barked.

 

                “Is this what he felt.” Kiri thought as piece of hot metal lodged its way into her right shoulder. The heat in pressure seemed to magnify with each passing second and she had to bite her lip to stay lucid. She wondered if Ramsey had felt similar pain the night he’d been branded.

                “Kiri!” Doratea shouted.               “Well that’s a surprise.” The man commented. “Pity too. I don’t think that will kill her.”

                Kiri clutched her shoulder as a stream of warm blood ran down the side of her arm. She’d had worse but if she wasn’t attended to soon she might bleed out. Suddenly a gust of wind as her sister blew past her toward the man a ball of angry rage. Another boom and shriek of pain then her sister collapsed the ground in a spasm as blood dripped from her side.

                “Wow you almost got me!” The man laughed. “A second later and I would have been strangl-“ he was cut off as giant hand reached around his throat lifting him in the air.

                “You die now.” Dixie uttered in a cold monotone her eyes completely glossed over.

                “Not…yet.” The man croaked. He pressed a hand to his mouth and with his last breath let out a the call of a marsh crow the gurgled noise of his gasps only added to the realism.

                Suddenly more figures emerged from the treetops bearing two bearing down on Dixie and another rushing her. She was tackled to the ground and she suddenly felt something cool and metallic press into her forehead.

                “Move and you die!” she heard in an all too familiar voice. A voice in these past months she’d come to trust with her life. She looked up and almost broke into tears at the sight of the person who stood atop her.

                “Ramsey?” she gasped.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Expect updates to my other stories soonish. 

This story archived at http://www.giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=3509