Piece of Work by GTS33, Melanie
Summary:

Nathalie Pechman just can’t catch a break. No matter how hard she tries, she always messes up—usually catastrophically! This is a story full of size antics and ridiculously bad luck. 


Categories: Giantess, Adventure, Young Adult 20-29, Mature (40-49), Destruction Characters: None
Growth: Mega (501 ft. to 5279 ft.)
Shrink: Lilliputian (6 in. to 3 in.)
Size Roles: F/f, F/m
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 15086 Read: 6744 Published: September 18 2023 Updated: October 16 2023
Story Notes:

This is a story about a Gulli girl in a Lilli world. If you have read my other stories you will be very familiar with the Brob-Lilli size difference. For this one, I decided to go with Gulli-Lilli. Not as massive, but still very big. Whereas some giantesses are careful, others...not so much. Follow her as she recounts her big struggles in the little workplace. 

1. Chapter 1 by GTS33

2. Chapter 2 by GTS33

3. Chapter 3 by GTS33

4. Chapter 4 by GTS33

5. Chapter 5 by GTS33

Chapter 1 by GTS33
Author's Notes:

Meet the unluckiest girl in the world…

——————————


My name is Nathalie Pechman and I have never held a job for more than a day.


It seems that no matter what I do, or where I do it, something must go wrong. Have you ever heard of Murphy's law? Yeah. I bet Murphy himself could have turned me into a friggin case study! Accidents are attracted to me like flies are to honey. Or opposites. Or...whatever. The point is, I often find myself in the worst situations. I will not pretend like it does not get to me. My friends have noticed a change in my mood of late. One of them recommended I try putting my feelings on papers, so here we are. Writing...


This is the first time I have ever done something like this. I usually keep my thoughts in my head. What a big leap this is--marking my worst moments down for posterity. God, I hope no one ever reads this. I mean, it is not like I am documenting secrets, but there are details best left unwritten, if you know what I mean. Exposing them here is a little therapeutic. Maybe I won't remember my most awkward moments as I lie awake in bed at three in the morning, for once? That would be nice.


I think I am rambling. I should stop rambling.


Alrighty! I guess I should get to the story. The real meat and potatoes. The main event you have all been waiting for. My story starts with the first job I ever had, and the first of many I lost.


Last year, around the time I graduated from university, my parents encouraged me to move out and find a job. It was about time and we all knew it. Not only had they paid for my degree, they also let me continue leeching of them at home into my early twenties. Bless their hearts, I love them so much. Needless to say, I was not upset about it. In fact, I was really excited! The idea of going out into the world and applying what you have learned, making a difference, and most importantly, getting a paycheck, was something I wanted.


Then the real world decided to hit me with so cold, hard truth.


It turns out a degree in Tourism is not very useful when hardly anyone is interested in coming to your country. I looked for any work remotely related to my studies but came up with nothing. Pretty soon I was low on money and close to being kicked out of my new apartment after only having it for a month. I wanted to ask my folks for money, but felt too shy. I do not think they would have said no, but I would not have felt right about asking. What could I do? A young lady with no real-world experience, no real skills, and practically zero prospects?


That was when I decided to make a change. 


I was looking around online for job listings when I came across one that looked perfect. Seriously, it was too good to be true! An opening for a tour guide, no prior experience required. I was smiling ear to ear until I scrolled down.


"Position open to Lilli nationals only. Must be based in Lilliputia."


I let out the biggest sigh of my life. Why does life give me hope, only to take it away? Despite the ad being irrelevant to me, it did give me an idea. If there are no opportunities for work at home, then there must be elsewhere. Given, there are only two other places to go. Looking back, I think I chose to go to Lilliput so that I would not feel smaller than I already did. For once I could be big and important. That alone was a huge factor. Gulliverians are privileged in that they can visit all three nations of this world. Brobs are banned from Lilli territory and Lillis almost never go to the Brobs. Meanwhile, us middle children can go where we please. 


And so, I began looking for work in Lilliputia. I filtered my searches for Gulliverians only, which brought up quite a few! Apparently, they love us over there. It is no surprise given their relationship with our 'eldest siblings'. Anyway, I found one that was not relevant to my degree, but would be easy enough. A demolitions worker; manual labor that requires no prior experience. There was an interview process, but that was no problem at all. I think they just wanted to make sure I was not someone crazy. Once I had the job, I packed my things and booked a flight.


Lilliputia is an incredible place. From the moment I set foot--no, even before that, when my plane was landing, I was already blown away. They had an entire airport for people like me. It was connected to a small, gated community where us 'bigger' folk live. A suburban compound on the outskirts of a major city that I was to call home for the foreseeable future. Naturally, our size makes it difficult and dangerous to move about freely. They set up zones where we can walk, sit, etc. I quickly got to know my neighbors and settled into one of the few places built to accommodate me.


I spent the next two days figuring things out. The village has a couple of restaurants and a grocery store which we all use. Most all of the food and resources that existed there are imported from home. You could find almost anything you wanted without ever having to leave. If I had never left that compound, I might have forgotten I was abroad. It was only when I went to work for the first time that I realized how odd our kind is here.


Dressed in the uniform sent to my new home, I left my home bright and early, following the specified route to the demolition site. In the span of a few seconds, my surroundings went from familiar to downright toy-like. As I walked through the city, using a street prohibited to all Lillis, I could not help but laugh. Their buildings were only about waist height, the tallest being just shorter than myself. I could see tiny office workers through the glass windows, paying me no mind as they went about their day. Little cars like those children play with were driving around on the parallel streets on my left and right. I could even see tiny pedestrians walking around.


Most everything was so small. It really made me feel big, even though I was not.


It did not take long to arrive at the site. I found a medium-sized building marked by a large tarp for demolition. The surrounding area was clear of all life, with the exception of the men and women at work. I stopped walking a few feet from it, seeing as there were a couple dozen people in the way. I honestly was not sure where our space ended and theirs began, so I decided to play it safe.


"Hi there! You must be Nathalie." A tiny voice called to me. "You're a little early. We haven't had the chance to evacuate the area yet. Just sit tight."


I turned my head, looking at the rooftop of one of the taller buildings. I saw a tiny man dressed similarly to me holding a loudspeaker. I recognized his face immediately. He was the one who hired me; the leader of this team, and an expert in urban demolitions.


"Mr. Luther! I'm sorry, I did not see you." I turned to face him, waving awkwardly. "Um...yeah, that's me. I was pretty excited to do this so I woke up extra early. Take all the time you need; I am ready to go whenever. Just say the word!"


"Glad you're so enthusiastic, but you're getting ahead of yourself. Do you know what you'll be doing today?" He asked me.


"I am tasked with demolishing this building, right?" I asked, seeking confirmation. I make a gesture to show a building collapsing downward. "In a way that is safe, obviously."


He smiled, though, I only now realize that it was not because he was impressed. Probably worried, given what I said. "There is a procedure for this type of work. You are not the first Gulli our company has hired to do this. Listen carefully and I do exactly as I say."


Mr. Luther proceeded to outline the 'how' and 'why' while everyone else cleared out of the area. First, I would remove the tarp and set it down in a nearby area designated for it. Second, I would take a special tool provided for me and begin chipping away at sections of the building from the top down. Last, I would help scoop up the debris onto trucks waiting to take it away. All of this was to save time and money. Given my size and strength, I was very well suited for the job. If the building began to collapse in a dangerous way, I could catch it. Having me around would potentially save lives. It sounded so easy! I had no idea how royally I would screw it up.


"Is there anything you need clarification on?" He asked me. "There are no stupid questions when it comes to safety."


"I've got it. Don't you worry, boss! I'll have this done ASAP." I nod confidently, crouching to pick up the tool from the street below.


"Alright then, Nathalie. The area is cleared. You are good to go."


Nervously, I stepped forward into the Lilli space. Slowly, carefully, I reached for the tarp and began to pull it off. So far so good! I set it down and a small crew promptly dragged it away. Phase one was complete, with no problems whatsoever! I was feeling very proud of myself. Next, I raised the tool to the roof of the building and light tapped at it. I held back, but even so, a large fissure formed across the top and corner. I repeated this, using slightly more force with each tap, until a large chunk fell away. On instinct, I caught it in my free hand, only to remember that it is fine to let it fall. This was an exercise in controlled demolition, after all.


"You're doing great. Keep it up!" Mr. Luther called to me from the rooftop near me. 


I gave him a nod, without looking back. I was so focused on my work! Little by little, chunks of the building were falling away. The demolition was not difficult, but the dust clouds I was producing were beginning to irritate my eyes. Not wanting to be a complainer, I simply powered through. Floor by floor, I reduced the building to rubble. I started standing, then leaning, then kneeling, until I was sitting with my legs out, and the building between them. It took me the better part of an hour, but I managed to break the entire thing down without any issues.


"How is this? I hope the mess is not too big." I asked Mr. Luther, looking up at the other building. To my surprise, his response come from much closer, and much lower. The tiny man walks up to stand by my right leg, observing my work.


"Relax, Nathalie. You've done great! Cleanup is the easiest part. Once you finish that, we'll send you paycheck." He encouraged me. "Easy money. Ah, it must be nice to be big."


"Thank you, sir. Yes, it does have its advantages from time to time!" I laugh.


I allowed him a chance to get away before I changed positions. I sat on my heels, twisting left and right to grab handfuls of debris and deliver them to the trucks waiting beside me. It was like a supply chain. Every time I filled one, it would drive off only to be replaced by another. It was wonderfully efficient! It only took me twenty minutes to have the entire area cleared. Where a building had stood ninety minutes ago, now an empty plot remained. A job well done, if I said so myself.


You might be wondering how I screwed up. With the building gone and no one hurt, everything was fine. You would be right to think that. My screw up actually had nothing to do with the building I was demolishing. It had to do with the brand new one beside it that was set to be opened the following day. I had been too focused on my job to realize how much of the debris had landed on me. Chunks of concrete, shards of glass, steel beams, and a whole mess of tiny objects littered the creases of my uniform. As I stood up, the debris began to dislodge, falling onto the streets below.


"Nathalie, be careful!" Mr. Luther yelled at me. 


Hearing him yell made me assume I was about to step on someone. I don't know why I assumed that, but in the moment that is what I understood. I stopped my foot, just before it touched down, which then put me off balance. I began to fall backward. Concerned only for the tiny lives around my feet, I whipped my head around to check the space behind me. In that moment, I saw no one around, so I allowed myself to step back. This is the part where my notorious bad luck reared its ugly head. My foot landed in a dug-up part of the street where maintenance on some pipes were being done. I am so thankful the workers were not there.


"W-Wah!" I yelped, my lack of balance turning into a full-on fall. "Look out!"


The next thing I knew, I was sitting on a very nice, very expensive looking building. I threw my hands forward, doing everything I could to avoid putting my full weight on it, but it was no use. For a moment, it felt like it could take me. There would be damage, but it would survive. Wishful thinking! Suddenly, the entire thing gave way. I fell through each and every floor until I landed hard on my butt on ground level. A huge cloud of dust obscured the area, causing me to cough. I waved it away, only to find a crowd of Lillis forming around me, staring in shock and horror. There had been no casualties, thank heavens, but the building was no more. Me and my big butt left nothing but rubble.


"Nathalie! You! Y-You!" Mr. Luther emerged from the crowd, pushing his way past people. He was so mad, and his face was so red. I would later learn that his company partially owned that building. "What have you done?!"


"I'm so sorry! I didn't- I thought I was going to step on someone, and-"


"I don't want excuses!" He barked at me. He was practically foaming at the mouth. "That was one point two billion! All gone because of you!"


"I-I will make it up to you! Please, I'll- Oh! Let me help build it back up! I'll work for free!" I begged him, as if anything I said would change the inevitable. Oh, I must have looked so pathetic! I am cringing just thinking about it.


"Nathalie..." He stared daggers at me, despite being smaller than one of my finger segments. 


"Y-Yes...?" I shrunk back into myself, bracing for what was to come.


"You're fired!"

End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680

Chapter 2 by GTS33
Author's Notes:

Nathalie tries something new…

——————————

After the disaster with the demolitions company, I was about ready to pack my things and head home. If I didn't leave on my own, I figured they had every right to exile me. Do they still exile people? Oh, whatever. The point is, I was feeling terrible, and even worse about the repercussions of my accident. Would I be fined for the damages? Would I be locked up? I was already thinking about finding a lawyer, when I got a call from them. It went a little something like this:


"Good afternoon. This is Martha from DemoLilli. Am I speaking with Ms. Nathalie?" 


"Yes, it is. Um, how can I help you?"


"I am calling regarding the accident you were a part of earlier today."


"Listen, I am so, so, sorry-"


"An internal investigation found that a Mr. Luther startled you, causing you to fall. Is that correct?"


"Um...I guess so? But I was still the one who fell..."


"The Gulli labor laws in our nation take into account your stature. Accidents are proportionally devastating to your size, which is not something you are responsible for."


"Oh. I see."


"On behalf of the company I would like you to know that we will not be pressing charges. All damages will be deducted from your paycheck. The accident was deemed to be the fault of your supervisor, since the hole you stepped in was supposed to be finished two days prior. We appreciate your work and wish you luck in seeking new employment."


"That is a relief. Wait, so I'm still fired?"


"Naturally."


The woman then asked me if I had any questions before hanging up. I will be upfront about this. I sat there for at least ten minutes, processing what I'd heard. The shock was too much. It had been a crazy day, and I was not quite...prepared for it. While I wanted nothing more than to collapse on my bed and sleep the pain away, I knew that I needed to find no work. I was certain the 'deduction' they spoke of was basically meant I was not going to be paid. That left me in the same financial nightmare as before, no progress made. I would need money, and that meant I would need a new job.


I opened up my laptop to the same site from before, looking for Gulli work in Lilliputia. It occurred to me that, despite there being no repercussions for my accident, I might have totally ruined my reputation. Who would want to hire the clumsy idiot who sat on a building? Well, as luck would have it, my face was so dusty that no one got a good look. Of course, the workers who knew my face quickly spread the word, but the company's stance on the matter absolved me of guilt. They made it clear that it was not my fault, probably to maintain the image of intersize cooperation in the country or something. I essentially had a blank slate, which is why I was able to find a new job fairly quickly.


"Gulli lifeguard wanted. Must be a strong swimmer. Hours flexible."


It sounded reasonable. Not related to my degree, but reasonable! I would take that, or anything, at really. I was at a really low point. I applied for the job, did another interview, and then got hired. It was a smooth process, all things considered. I was to report to the north coast of the island nation later this week. Thankfully, that is only an hour drive away, or in Gulli terms, a half-hour walk. A red, one-piece with the company's logo would be sent to me the following day. And so, I passed the time by calling home, doing chores, and studying the mandatory first aid course they sent me.


Like before, I left home bright and early. I had changed into my swimsuit and worn everyday clothes over them. As soon as you left civilization, the need for 'Gulli zones' decreased. So long as I watched where I stepped, I could move about more comfortable. I used the map on my phone to take me there, walking parallel to one of the major highways. That part of the nation was mostly desert, so I did not need to look down that often. Soon enough, I was able to see the ocean on the horizon, and the coastal city just before it. I picked up my pace and hurried over, eager to get a better look.


It became clear to me that not every city in Lilliputia is built for people my size. I stood there, a busy street in my way, unsure of how to proceed. Looking around, I saw no designated pathways, nor any signs of Gullis. For a moment, I was wondering if I had come to the wrong place. That was when my phone began to ring. I did not recognize the number, but I answered anyway.


"Hello?" I asked.


"Hey there! I'm gonna take a guess and say the huge, lost, and super cute Gulli a few blocks down is Nathalie?"


"That's me!" I laugh awkwardly. My head turns left and right, uncomfortably. "Um, who I am speaking to?"


"This is Leslie. Spelled with an 'ie', not 'eigh'. Those people are weirdos!" She laughs. "I'm the head lifeguard here at the Marina. Turn left and walk until you see the big, colorful sign. I'll be waitin' for ya at the boardwalk!"


And with that, she hung up.


I pocketed my phone and followed Leslie's instructions. It led me down the street and to a big sign, just like she said. After struggling to find a way past the entrance, I opted to simply step over it. It was not hard; I was only worried about breaking some kind of rule. I made sure to watch my step. I was being extra careful to avoid random construction holes! Doing my best not to disturb the people I was stepping over was impossible. Several pairs of eyes in the Marina were one me, I could feel it. The best I could do was move quickly and get to the beach. I could already see the boardwalk a few steps away.


The beach was beautiful! The color of the water, the warmth of the sun on my skin, and the feel of the sand beneath my feet were all perfect. All around were beachgoers, wading in the water or sitting in the shade of little umbrellas. They reminded me of the decorative ones you find in drinks. They were probably the same size too! There were not a lot of people here yet, since it was still early. The area I stood in was clear of people. Unlike the rest of the area, the part near the boardwalk was not as nice. It was awfully rocky, hence why no one was there. I looked out at the structure, spotting a single person standing at the end of it. They were waving and yelling to me, but I could not hear a thing. That was when my phone rang again.


"What are you waiting for?" Leslie's voice came through the speaker. "Get changed and meet me in the water. I want to speak to you face to face."


"Yes! Right away! Is there a changing room nearby?" I asked, looking for any place big enough to accommodate me. They tended to stand out.


"You didn't change at home?"


"No, I did. I'm wearing it under my clothes."


"Great! So, strip already!" She told me, probably forgetting how much I would stand out if I did so. A Lilli could probably get away with that. Me, not so much. "Leave your clothes where you're standing right now. I guarantee you no one will steal them."


"I-I..." I stuttered, suddenly feeling embarrassed. As much as I wanted to protest, I worried about making a bad impression. I really needed that job! "Okay... I'll be ready in a jiff!"


I hung up and set my phone down on one of the larger rocks by my feet--a sizeable boulder about the size of my phone. Closing my eyes and doing all I could to not feel humiliated, I pulled off my shirt and wiggled out of my shorts. I folded my clothes in a hurry and set them down as I was told. I did not dare glance over at the beachgoers. Whether or not they were staring, I could not bear to know. I set foot in the water, which was pleasantly warm, and began walking parallel to the boardwalk. It took a while for the water to get deeper. I was not expecting it to get so deep by the time I reached the end. It was up to my waist! While I am on the 'petite' side, it still came as a shock.


"Welcome to the best job you'll ever have!" Leslie jumped up and down, waving her hands in the air. I still don't know how to explain it, but she matched the image I had in my head. Like, to a scary degree. "You look great, by the way! I'm glad we were able to get a swimsuit in your size so quickly."


"Thank you! I really like it." I smiled, kneeling in the water so that we could be more level. Only then did I notice the large whistle beside her. I call it large now, but it was just 'normal' size for me. "Is that for me?"


"You guessed it. It was supposed to be sent with the swimsuit, my bad there!" 


I grabbed it by the strap and put it around my neck, letting it rest on my chest. "No worries! So long as I have it."


"Okay! Now for the boring part. Trust me, I'd skip this if I could, but I gotta or else my boss will yell at me. I'll try to make it brief..." She groaned, leaning on the railing and rolling her eyes. "You are a lifeguard now, and that means you need to guard lives. We've prepared a spot for you near the middle of the Marina's coast where you will sit and keep an eye out for anyone in trouble. If you see anything, go help them! It's pretty self-explanatory." She played with her hair as she talked, staring off into the distance. "We have a whole procedure for applying first aid, mouth to mouth, etc., but none of that will be relevant to you. Just scoop them out of the water and deliver them to me. I'll handle the rest."


"Okay, got it. And what should I do with this whistle?"


"Blow it if you see someone breaking a rule. You know the rules, right?" She eyed me carefully. 


"I do, but it wouldn't hurt to get a refresher." I told her, honestly. When it comes to safety, I know there are no stupid questions. Mr. Luther taught me that. 


She smiled at me, satisfied with my answer. "There aren't many. Make sure no one is swimming if the red, double-red, or purple flag goes up. If you see someone doing something dangerous, like a kid going out too deep on their own, warn them. If you see any kind of dangerous activity, warn them too. Your job is to save lives. That comes in two forms: preventing accidents, and dealing with them properly, if they happen."


"Got it. Seriously, this time." I nodded.


"Great! Your shift starts...now! Another lifeguard will be here to take your place at two. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call me."


"Just five hours? I can do that! Thank you, Leslie! I'm really glad to be working with you."


She gave me a wink and a thumbs up before walking off to one of the shacks nearby. Despite her attitude, I got the feeling she was passionate. She clearly loved being a lifeguard and she was able to explain the rules so clearly! Apparently, she was full of surprises.


I carefully made my way through the water, to the spot where I was told to sit. I decided to stay in the water because taking the sandy route would probably disturb the beachgoers. They would not have appreciated the water dripping off me falling onto them. Slowly, carefully I walked out and onto the shore. They had left a sign that read 'Gulli on duty, make way!'. I found it funny. Taking my seat, I stretched out my legs and got comfortable. They reached from the shore, well into the water. It felt like being in a sandy puddle, to be honest. And so, I began my watch, remaining ever-vigilant.


Or at least, I tried to.


From the moment I sat down, no, the moment I arrived at the beach, I had been attracting attention. The feeling of eyes on me earlier got so much worse as the day went by. More and more people arrived, and none of them felt any guilt as they stared at me. Was it the swimsuit? I did not think it was skimpy or anything. Maybe they had never seen a Gulli before? I could not be sure. All I did know, was that I was getting a lot of male attention. It was not flattering. Rather than yell at them, which I worried might get me in trouble, I simply ignored them. 


Two hours passed, and I eventually was able to 'tune out' the ogling. Their stares were harmless, for the most part. I was not going to let it distract me from keeping watch. Thankfully, nothing of note happened. People were, generally speaking, quite peaceful and safe. I did have to blow my whistle when a teen decided to dunk his little brother, but other than that, I did not have to do much. I allowed myself to relax a little, enjoying the sun. I was quite pale, so the idea of getting a natural tan was really exciting. Leslie was right, this was the best job ever!


"I could get used to this!" I yawn, stretching my arms in the air.


Another hour passed, marking the halfway point in my shift. That was when the first 'incidents' happened. Nothing too serious, but they certainly bothered me. As I sat there, my legs outstretched, I started to feel something touching me. My first instinct was to kick, and it was good that I didn't. Apparently, some kids in the water decided to use me as a boardwalk. They were climbing on my feet and running around on my shins. Leaning forward, I did my best to gently explain that it was unsafe, not to mention improper, to do that. They apologized and, with some help from me, safely got off. I have no clue where their parents were, so I decided to keep a close eye on them as they played in the shallow water around my knees.


"Kids... They do the strangest things! At least they apologized."


Shortly after the kids left me alone, I found a group of Lilli guys a little younger than myself checking me out. They were not subtle about it, staring at me and whistling to get my attention. I paid them no mind until I saw a camera flash out of the corner of my eye. At that point, I had tolerated them enough. Grabbing a fistful of sand, I held it over their heads and dropped it on them. A harmless gesture that definitely got my point across. They left me alone and went to the water to rinse off. 


"Hmph. Serves them right."


Two more hours passed, meaning I had completed my first day as a lifeguard without a hitch! It was such a good feeling--enough to erase the pain of my demolition accident. If only it could have stayed that way. Honestly, of all the jobs I am going to talk about in this journal, this was the one I liked most. I really wish I had been more careful.


A woman ran up to me, panicked and frantic. She yelled up at me, trying to get my attention. I could tell it was serious.


"My baby! I lost my baby!" She sobbed, hardly able to speak her words. "Please, help me!"


"Calm down, ma'am. How old is you child? Can you tell me what they look like?" I told her, calmly. I was already scanning the area for a small child. I thought I had been keeping watch pretty well, until then. "Where did you last see them?" 


"He- He's four! He's wearing blue swimming trunks..." She hyperventilated, breaking down even worse. "I swear, I only looked away for a minute!"


She was clearly struggling, which did not make the situation any better. I decided to use the information I had and began looking for anyone that matched her description. I started with the areas closest, then the shoreline, then the water itself. I squinted my eyes, focusing on tiny splashes of water in the distance. My eyes caught sight of a tiny head struggling to stay above water. It was not too far from the shoreline, but it was definitely deep enough for a small child to drown in. 


I blew my whistle and leapt to my feet, then made a beeline to the water. I had no time to look where I was stepping, so it was good that everyone had cleared the way. As I entered the water, I did not stop running. I leaned over, dragging my hand through the water like a net. A moment later, I felt something touch it, which I then lifted out to safety. My rush provided me with little more than a second to glance at the child, coughing and sputtering, but thankfully alive. Unable to stop myself, I fell forward into the 'shallow' water, cradling the young boy to my chest.


"It's okay! Cough it all out. You're going to be just fine." I smiled at him.


I stood back up and the feeling of relief welled up inside me. I had saved this boy! I was a hero! What an intense way to end my first day. Sadly, that feeling faded when I turned around. Rather than receiving cheers, I was met with screams of anger. And it was no mystery why. In my rush, I had thrown sand everywhere, showering the beachgoers. Umbrellas were tattered and knocked over. Worst of all, my landing had produced a sizeable wave which then drenched the already sandy people. At least when I returned the boy to his mother, she was grateful. Despite the horrible reaction from everyone else, I did not feel guilty. Sand and water could be washed off, but losing a child...that was permanent. If I had been any slower, he might have drowned. I could not let it happen!


"Nathalie! What the hell!" I heard a familiar, but furious voice call to me. It was Leslie and she was pissed. "What have you done to our beach?!"


"There was a little boy in the water and I ran-" I tried, but she would not let me talk.


"Oh my god, I'm so fucked!" She screamed. "I'm gonna be fired, because of you! Look at this damage!"


"Leslie, please. It was worth it. Look!" I gestured to the mother and child, but they were already gone. I had hoped that she might vouch for me, but I was not so lucky. I never am. So, I switched from trying to convince her to pleading. "I'll clean this up. Just give me a chance."


And then came my two least favorite words in the world.


"You're fired!"

End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680

Chapter 3 by GTS33
Author's Notes:

Nathalie tries something new…again!

——————————

The walk home from the beach was humiliating. I did not exactly have a chance to change back, so I simply left in shame, sandy and dripping wet. Once again, all eyes were on me, and for all the worst reasons. I decided to change back once I was far enough from the coast, but not before most of the town got a look at my sandy, unemployed butt.


Life in Lilliputia was not looking good for me. In just one week I had lost two jobs and caused a lot of damage. In my defense, I had done what I had been hired to do both times. I successfully demolished the building and managed to save a drowning child. I was not totally useless! Even so, I understood why I had been fired each time. I could not find it in me to be angry at Mr. Luther, nor Leslie. There were more important matters to attend to, like finding a new job. My funds were not depleted just yet, but I was getting there. If I spent on anything other than bills or food, I would be broke within three days.


"Only the absolute essentials! I have to make do." I went over to power on my laptop, only for my phone to ring. I glanced over to it, seeing an unknown number. Despite that, I had a feeling what it would be about. "Deja vu..."


I picked it up and answered. "Hello?"


"Yoooo! I'm calling on behalf of AquaMarina. Are you Nathalie?" A man with a heavy surfer-dude accent asked me.


"I am..." I answered, fearful about where this might be going.


"Right on! So, yesterday was a bummer, but don't worry about it! The Marina wants you to know that everything's cool, dude." He explained, as if we we were close friends. "Your paycheck is gonna go to cleaning up the beach, and stuff. That wave you made was gnarly!"


"I understand. Sorry, again..." I cringed. "I'm still fired, aren't I?"


"Totally! But it's all good! We wish you luck, dude. See you when we see you!"


He hung up, leaving me to my thoughts. I was shocked that I had gotten away without any real repercussions. Rather than look a gift horse in the mouth, I decided to move on. I desperately needed a new job.


Unlike before, I was not able to find my next job quickly. I spent that entire afternoon browsing, but came up with nothing. The next morning was no better. I was applying, but no one was calling back. A part of me began to dread why that could be. Was it my reputation? Was I being viewed as a liability? I was not sure. It took until the following evening to find a single relevant listing. I jumped on it the moment I saw it.


"Assistant Park Ranger needed. No experience required."


Again, it was not relevant to my degree, but I was no going to let the opportunity pass me by. I applied, did the interview the following day, and was hired. The job was simple. I would report to the Lilli National Park and work closely with one of their park rangers. They simply needed a Gulli around, regardless of training or credentials. It was the summer, and the drought was causing frequent fires. I was big, and that gave me a bunch of advantages. A better perspective, and a lot of strength to carry water buckets. After saving the young boy the other day, I found a new appreciation for these types of jobs. The ones where you can make a real difference, not just making money for some corporation.


I expected to have to watch training videos, but they asked that I report to the park immediately. Waking up bright and early, putting my best foot forward, I did exactly that.


The park was a short walk from the city, in the south eastern direction. I left my home midday, dressed in a pair of jeans, a plaid button-down shirt, and most importantly, my hiking boots. I would need them if I was to be out and about. I also had a 'tool belt' with various items that they had sent me. It only took me ten minutes before I began to see thick woodland. The area was untouched by man, apart from a few watch towers around the area. It was beautiful! The air was fresh and the scenery was like something from a postcard. Knowing better than to wander aimlessly, I sought out the only man-made thing around. In the distance, near the base of the mountain, was a large log cabin. I figured that would be the best place to visit first.


I walked over to the cabin, finding a group of park rangers chatting outside. They looked to be on a lunch break. Their little heads turned to look up at me as I approached, one even whistling in surprise.


"Hi there! I'm Nathalie, the new hire. Is Ranger Tom around?" I asked them.


"That would be me." A tall and lanky man said as he stood up. He was dressed in a uniform and hat. "Nice to meet you, Nathalie! You're a little early."


"Yeah, I was just excited. I wanted to make a good impression, and all."


"I like your spirit!" He nods, enthusiastically. "Let's get started then. Grab the bucket and keep it close. Then, would you mind giving me a lift?"


It was not often that I physically touched a Lilli. I had only ever done so once before. There was an unspoken rule that the larger races should not suddenly grab or move the smaller ones without consent. Just as I would not want to be touched without consenting first. The fact that Ranger Tom wanted to be carried was surprising. I was not against it, quickly squatting down and offering my palm as a lift. He stepped on and I raised him up as I stood. He was very light in my palm, no heavier than a coin. He must have done this before, since he did not seem scared at all, especially so high up.


He explained that carrying him would be faster. It also provided him a better view of the landscape--the view only us Gullis have. I went where he told me, following the trail. I did not need to watch my step as carefully as the park was currently closed to the public due to the fire situation. Any animal that heard me coming would clear out of the way long before I even got close. I must have been extremely nervous, since her reassured me that I was doing fine several times. Maybe he was just a kind man? He was definitely friendlier than my previous two employers, even after my third screw up.


I am getting ahead of myself. Back to the events of that day...


Ranger Tom talked and I listened. He told me about the park, its history, and the issues they had been facing recently. Apparently, there had been issues with poachers even before the fires started. My eyes glanced the gun on his hip. Something told me he knew how to use it. He went on to tell me all about the animals that resided there, and I began to see just how much he loved nature. It made me want to protect that place too. I asked him some questions, which he was happy to answer. He told me about fire safety, hazards, and how to deal with bears and other predators. Despite being there simply to earn a paycheck, I ended up learning a lot!


"Do you see that? Looks like trouble." He told me pointing to an area in the distance. There was a small amount of smoke coming from the trees. He called it in on his radio device, saying a code that I did not understand. "Head to the river and fill up. We're going to need as much water as you can carry."


"Yes, sir!" I said, hurrying to the river. I knelt down by the bank and put the bucket in the path of the flow. It quickly filled up, even catching some fish, but there was nothing I could do about that. "Is this good?"


"Perfect. Now get us over to the site." He instructed me.


I stood up, suddenly feeling a strain in my arm as I lifted the bucket. It was heavy! I was strong enough to carry it, but it hurt my hand. The thin, metal handle dug into it painfully. I did not want to complain on my first day, so I stayed quiet and hurried over. By the time we got there, the first had spread substantially. Several trees were ablaze, and the smoke was getting thicker. 


"Dead flora tend to catch fire easily. The dryness and heat make them a hazard, as you can see." He explains, calmly. "This looks bad, but it's not. It would have been, if you weren't here. Put it out now, before it spreads any further. Can you do that for me, Nathalie?"


"Of course! Um, just let me move you..." I raised him to my shoulder and allowed him to transfer to it. He moved over to my neck placed a hand on it for support as I moved. "I'm going to need both hands for this. Sorry."


"No problem at all." He reassures me. "Do what you need to." 


Lifting the bucket up, I aimed for the center of the area and dumped half my bucket out. The torrents of water flooded the area, extinguishing almost all the flames. I used what remained to splash any areas where I think a fire could start again. The smoke soon cleared, and all that was left was a relatively small, blackened area.


"It's a little sad." I frowned, looking at the scene.


"You mean the ash?" Ranger Tom assumed, which I confirmed with a silent nod. "Not at all. The ash helps nourish the soil so new trees can grow. This area will be full of life again soon."


"Seriously?" I gasped.


"Absolutely. You've done good, newbie. Be proud of yourself." He smiles.


I know that his words were not anything out of the ordinary. He was simply trying to be nice. Still, they meant a lot to me. I really appreciated them! "Th-Thank you... I'm trying really hard!"


The two of us continued to patrol the area, putting out two more small fires before the end of my first day. It was easy to do, and I enjoyed the praise I was getting. Other than that, the day was relatively calm. The sun began to set, and soon it was dark. I reached into my belt and pulled out my flashlight. It was very strong, shining a beam that went on and on. There was no option to lower the power, just a switch to turn it on and off. I kept it forward, worried about shining it at Ranger Tom. Such a bright light could blind him! I was probably overthinking things, but I wanted to be extra safe.


My 'shift' was essentially Ranger Tom's. I was to be around whenever he was. He told me that we would start at noon and end at midnight. I found those times odd, but did not comment. Checking my watch, I saw that it was half past ten. No incidents yet, and with the sun down, the likelihood of more fires was very low. All I had to do was not screw up, and I would be in the clear! Maybe I could even make it to my second day? That would be incredible.


Looking back, I probably could have ignored what I heard. I could have gone home and had a good night's sleep, but I just had to open my big mouth... On a more serious note, I know there was no ignoring it. I would rather suffer termination than willfully neglect a crime. As we were walking through the woods, I suddenly heard a bang in the distance. It was quiet, something only I could hear. I glanced over at Ranger Tom, but he had no reaction.


"Did you hear that?" I asked, looking in the direction of the sound.


"Hear what?" He raised a brow at me.


"I thought I heard a gunshot. It was quiet, but it came from over there." I pointed for him to see.


"Hmm. If you think you heard something, then I trust you. Let's go check it out." He instructs me. "But be careful."


As quietly as someone of my size can be, I began moving toward the source of the sound. As we approached, I began to see small beams of light coming from flashlights. Then we heard another bang. It was at that point that Ranger Tom drew his weapon. He whispered to me, keeping his voice low.


"Stay calm. They're poachers." He told me; his tone very serious. "It's just you and me, so do exactly as I say."


"Understood. What's the plan?"


"Approach quickly, and let me do the talking. Most of the time, they don't fight. When they try to run, that will be your chance to grab them."


"Am I allowed to do that? To just...grab Lillis?" I asked, nervously.


"They're committing a misdemeanor, but if they're the same ones from before, meaning it's a repeat offense, then this is a felony." He explained. "We can use lethal force if they resist, but all I am asking is for you to apprehend them."


"Okay... I can do that." I nodded.


"Alright. I believe in you, Nathalie. You can do this." 


I took three long steps forward, which closed the distance between us in an instant. Shining my light in their direction revealed four men with hunting rifles. They were loading deer and other game into the back of their pickup. The moment they saw me, they began to panic. 


"You are trespassing on protected land. Poaching endangered species is a felony. The lot of you are under arrest. Do not resist, or I am authorized to use lethal force!" He warned them.


Without any hesitation, the men trained their guns on Ranger Tom. A gesture that made it clear that they were not afraid. Before they could fire, I dropped my flashlight and shielded him with my hand. A precaution, which only made them turn their guns on me instead.


"No! Wait, don't!" I cried out, as they fired. I remained still, waiting for the pain to set in, but it did not. With great worry, I opened my eyes and glanced down at my legs. Several bullets had hit me, but not once even broke the skin. It was only then that I remembered that, in this land, I am a mighty giantess. Lilli bullets can't hurt me! I gave them the smuggest smile and carefully tucked Ranger Tom into my breast pocket. "Hmph. Not so tough now, huh?"


I reached a hand out, receiving some more harmless shots against my skin, before I managed to grab two of them. I kept them in my fist and gave them a painful, but ultimately harmless squeeze. That was enough to get them to stop moving. Another hopped into their truck to drive away. He must have thought that he could leave his buddies and escape while I was distracted. I would not let that happen!


I dropped the two incapacitated poachers onto the ground and grabbed the truck, effortlessly lifting it into the air, like a toy. I brought it up to my face, allowing the terrified little man to see my carefully planned 'pissed off giantess' face. I began to squeeze, crunching the metal of his car into a wreck. I was slow, making sure not to actually hurt him. He jumped out to escape, only to fall into my other, waiting hand. I gave him a similar squeeze to pacify him, and then placed him next to the other two. There was only one left, who was frozen in place, staring at me with wide eyes. He made a high-pitched sound, and promptly fainted. It took all I had not to laugh! I gather the four of them up and presented them to Ranger Tom proudly, who had been watching from the safety of my pocket. I had caught them without taking a single life! Nor drawing blood, either!


"Sorry, Ranger Tom! I didn't mean to treat you like that. I just needed both hands." I gave him my most apologetic face. "Are you hurt?"


"Not a scratch on me, thanks to you! Thank you for protecting me, Nathalie. If not for you, this could have gone a whole lot worse." He then turned his attention to the men. "As for these guys, we'll leave them with my boys. They'll handle the rest."


"Alright." I told him, suddenly becoming somber. "Those poor animals, though..."


The two of us looked at the half-wrecked truck with dead game in the back. It was tragic. Those poor things were hunted simply for their hides. There were only a handful left to begin with.


"I know what you mean. We will have to tighten security around here. That's all we can do."


The two of us returned to the cabin and delivered the poachers. I was feeling both proud and guilty over what had happened. I suppose it was the best-case scenario, but I still felt bad. Ranger Tom told the others what happened, earning me lots of praise from the others. That was a great feeling, I still remember it fondly. Anyway, I was about ready to head home. And I actually did! It is so ironic... If only I had stayed just a few minutes longer, I could have avoided a disaster and kept my job.


Later than night, after returning home, I turned on the TV to check the news. All channels in the country were covering the same story. 


"Lilli National Park Ablaze!"


I was in disbelief. I had literally been gone for an hour and a half! Two, at most! What could have happened? It was only then that one of the park rangers came on to explain. Apparently, the crushed truck from earlier had begun to leak gasoline. The damaged vehicle then caught fire when a huge flashlight heated the spill to the point of ignition. 


"N-No way..." I muttered, as I checked for it on my belt. It was nowhere to be found.


What started as a very small forest fire quickly spread to the surrounding area. A news helicopter showed the scene from above. The fires were huge, far larger than any we had dealt with during the day! I considered running back over to help, but it seemed to be under control. My phone then rang, which I quickly answered. The number was vaguely similar to Ranger Tom's, so I assumed it was him.


"Ranger Tom! Is everything alright over there? I can't believe what I'm seeing on the news!"


"This is Ranger Weston." An unfamiliar voice responded. "And no, things are far from okay. The damage is massive. We only just put it out, no thanks to you."


"I'm so sorry." I told him. "Is there anything I can do to help tomorrow?"


"I'm afraid not. Nor the day after, nor the one after that." The man said, a hint of anger in his voice. "Nathalie, is it true that you damaged the truck that leaked? I assume the flashlight was yours."


"Yes, I did, and that is also mine. But I had to-" I tried, already knowing where this conversation was going.


"I have heard enough." The man says, without a hint of compassion. "The park will not be requiring your services any longer."


"Sir, please have a heart! I was caught up handling the poachers!" I pleaded, becoming angry at what I felt was an extreme injustice. He would not even hear me out! "Just ask Ranger Tom. He will vouch for me!"


I should have known that no matter what I said, the result would remain the same. The man had already made up his mind.


"You're fired!"

End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680

Chapter 4 by GTS33
Author's Notes:

Nathalie gets a lucky break...?

——————————

I have to admit, the incident at the park really demoralized me. It was only after Ranger Tom called to reassure me that no animals had been hurt, that I began to feel better. He was so kind, unlike my other employers. I know that if it had been up to him, he would have given me a second chance. Sadly, I can never be so lucky.


Three jobs, three accidents. My track record was pretty miserable. Others might have called it quits and booked a flight back home. I was not going to do that. I had no doubt my mother would have helped me out financially if she knew what I had been through. She was always sweet like that. I did not want to, though. It was no longer because I was ashamed, or because I did not want to seem a failure. It was because I was determined to make things work! Money aside, I had decided that I wanted to work in Lilliputia. I wanted to prove that I could do it.


Hopping back on my laptop, I brought up the same tab that had been open all week. I searched for job listings, just as I had before, but this time I made a change. I did not simply search for Gulli jobs, I added some more criteria. I even removed the filter for minimum salary. As expected, there were much more options to look through. I sifted through them for the next two hours, creating a list of candidates. Working through that list, I eliminated any job that I felt lended itself to accidents.


"Fisherman? No, I'd somehow sink the ship..."


Next.


"Trucker? I guess I could carry the truck, but I don't want anything to do with vehicles..."


Next.


"Farmer? Last time I was on a farm, I accidentally set the animals free..."


This went on until there was only a single job left on my list.


"Advertisement. Hmm... Like, the modelling kind?" I said, as I clicked on the listing. More details appeared, which began to give me hope. "Okay... Okay... Yeah, this could work! I think it's the one."


The only weird part was that they asked me for a full-body picture of myself, along with my application. I found it strange, but I was not going to let something so trivial stop me. I found a year-old picture of me and some friends, cropped them out, and sent it with my application. Satisfied, I shut my laptop and put it away. I was tired, and no one would respond to me so late in the night, so I decided to get ready for bed. I was asleep seconds after my head hit the pillow. 


Next morning, the first thing I did was check the job website. I had landed the job! It seemed that for things this simple, there was no need for an interview. Honestly, all this needed was a warm body in a chair, so to speak. The money was not great, but since it was a Gulli-only job, it was not terrible either. Such is the power of foreign currency! I checked my email, where I found information from my employer. It was not long. Basically, it outlined the working hours, where and when to meet, that they would send me a uniform, and the company slogan. I will spare you the details of how I spent the next two days. Nothing of note happened. I passed the time by making friends with my neighbors and doing chores. Anything to get my mind off my current career predicament.


The morning of my first day started off like any other. I woke up early, showered, and ate a light breakfast. Nothing out of the ordinary. I opened up the package they had sent me, only to find what looked to be two pieces of latex. I held them out, trying to make sense of them. My face went red with embarrassment when I realized that they were my 'uniform'. They were skimpy as hell! Things I would not be caught dead in. Reluctantly, I changed into them. Standing in front of my mirror, I checked myself out. The material had stretched, so it was not as skimpy as I had first thought. However, stretchy as it was, it still clung too tightly in all the wrong areas. 


I will not be providing further details.


"It's okay! It's okay... It's for the paycheck. I can discuss a less revealing uniform when I get there..."


I tugged at the material on my butt, just barely able to cover it with what I had been given. Without thinking about it too much, I left my home and walked over to the nearby Lilli city. It took less than a minute to get there, but it felt way longer. Despite keeping my gaze forward, I could feel the little citizens' eyes on me. I could not blame them, either. A giant girl dressed the way I am... It made sense. If it happened back home, I probably would have done the same to some poor, scantily-clad Brob. As I arrived at my designated meeting spot, the corner of a busy street, I quickly located a man standing on the top of a nearby building. He was waving at me, clearly trying to get my attention. I walked over and crouched just enough to bring my face down to his level.


"Hi there! You must be Mr. G?" I asked, only then able to make out the details. He was a short, pudgy man dressed in a cheap suit and dress pants. The bulge of his belly was putting visible strain on the bottom button. In the moment, I remember assuming he was a common pervert, but I would later be proven wrong. He was a really nice guy, though, I would not realize it until later that day.


"Ayy! Natty! Glad you could be here." He whistled, briefly glancing at my chest and grinning. "You look great. The uniform suits you!"


"Umm, about that... I feel like it's a little revealing, don't you?" I instinctively brought my arm up to cover my chest. At least from his view.


"Oh, don't be like that! It's all part of the brand!" He spread his arms out, walking toward a billboard on the same building. It read, 'G-Man's Fine Dining'. It was a bold statement, given how his 'restaurant' was basically just slight above average fast food. Greasy, unhealthy, and definitely not 'fine dining'. Obviously, I did not comment. "You're the key to attracting customers."


"I guess, but can't I do that while I'm fully dressed?" I asked, trying oh, so hard to show him how uncomfortable I was. I hoped he would understand. "We're selling food, not...well, me." I gestured to my tight-fitting clothes with a frown on my face.


"Let me level with you, Natty. Come closer." He beckoned me. I leaned a little closer, coming to rest my chin on the roof of the building. I could see him better now, especially the smug smile on his face, like he knew something I did not. "There's a reason I hired you. A young woman, big and pretty. The guys'll come for you, but stay for the food. You get me?"


I sighed, choosing to do as I was told rather than argue. Embarrassing at it was, I convinced myself it was okay since I did not know anyone here. This was not my city, let alone my country. Once I had enough money, or found a job I was actually qualified for, I would go home and forget all about this place. Hopefully I do not make Lilliputia sound terrible. It really is a gorgeous place! It just...was not for me.


"O-Okay. I'll do it." I nodded, committing to the job. "Let's make some money, Mr. G!"


"That's the spirit! I know you'll do great." He gave me a thumbs up and winked. It made me nauseous, but I forced an awkward smile. I could not see his eyes, but I could certainly feel them on me. He then gestured to the billboard once more. "That's your sign. All you gotta do is hold it. Maybe spin it a few times! Easy money, amiright?"


"You're right." I said, grabbing it. With just a slight tug, it came loose from its supports and I brought it closer. I stepped back and attempted a flip, just to get his reaction. "Like this?"


"Perfect! Amazing, even!" He clapped for me. "You're a natural! A Nat-tural! Hah!" He laughed at his own joke, before disappearing down the stairs. 


I turned to face the street, only now realizing that many people were staring at me. I chose to take it in stride, waving back and even giving a flirty wink. When I said I was committing to the job, I meant it! If I was to be the 'eye-candy' that helped Mr. G's business, then I would be the best ever. The only way I could possibly fail was if I gave up. Standing there, spinning my sign, and forcing a smile--it was so easy. And yes, I made sure to keep a good grip on the sign at all times. What? Were you expecting me to drop it into the busy street? Of course not. I knew better, and I knew how bad my luck was. I would not let it happen!


The rest of the day went by slowly. It was really, really boring. I do not even want to remember how many times I flipped that sign. The sun beat down on me, but thankfully, my outfit kept me cool. There was a silver lining, after all. Every so often, I would pick a car at random and make up a story about where the driver could be going. It was a good time-waster. The only thing of note that happened was the crowd that began to form across from me. Lots of people, gawking, taking pictures, and trying to get my attention. I did not mind in the slightest. That was why they hired me, right? A job is a job. In fact, I went all-in and decided to try something. 


I stared at the group, no one person in particular, so that they all felt that I was looking at them specifically. I gave them a smile and beckoned them closer with a finger. As if they were under a spell, I watched the group cross the street and gather at my feet. Without a word, I then gestured to the restaurant's entrance using the sign, and blew them a kiss. That was all it took. The entire crowd then rushed into the place and disappeared. For the next few hours, I repeated this, creating a steady stream of customers. It got to the point where they began lining up outside! My fake smile transformed into a genuine one, and I enjoyed a sense of accomplishment. 


"Not bad, 'Natty'. Not bad." I whispered to myself.


Before I knew it, my shift had ended. It was good timing, since my legs were beginning to tire. I carefully placed the sign down on the roof, face down, as not to risk it falling. Again, I was not sure if those support beams would hold it. I was not about to take a risk. I looked around, doing one, final check on my surroundings. There were no holes to trip over, buildings to topple, or anything remotely problematic. For once...everything looked good.


I was about to head home when I suddenly heard Mr. G's voice yelling my name. He emerged from the door, appearing on the roof next to me.


"Natty! Don't you take another step!" He huffed and puffed, stomping over across the rooftop. He moved toward me just as I was about to walk home. He pointed a finger at me accusatorily, practically barking. "We need to talk!"


"Yes?" I turned and crouched, genuinely confused by his reaction. "I'm right here, sir. What's the matter?"


I could tell that he was distressed. What I had assumed to be anger was in actuality, panic. Maybe even dread.


"I can't believe this! So many customers, but things have never been worse!" He yelled, though, not at me. "It's all ruined. I'm done for..."


He looked for the nearest thing to lean on, but found nothing. I think he was trying to perform a dramatic 'fall', but it only looked silly. The man fell down on his butt and sat there, legs outstretched. He pulled out a handkerchief and began dabbing at his forehead. His skin looked clammy, and he looked positively pitiful.


"Mr. G..." I began, worried I might set him off. "I don't understand. Would you please tell me what happened?"


He looked at me, his eyes defeated, and sighed. "The reviews, Natty. Just...look them up yourself!" He groaned.


Curious, I pulled out my phone and looked up his restaurant. I soon realized the problem. This morning, there had been four reviews, averaging four-point-five stars overall. Probably friends or family, let's be honest. Now, there were over three hundred, but the average was an abysmal one-point-six. Skimming through, I found all kinds of negative and nasty comments. They were varied, but a couple shared a common theme: the food. Bland, disgusting, and basic, were just a few of the mean things the customers had written. I mean, what did they expect? The food was meant to be cheap and unhealthy, but tasty! At least, that was what I was told the other day. They felt it was false advertising and disingenuous. 


Reading through some more, I found a bunch talking about me. No, not a bunch, a truckload! Way more than the comments about the food. One read, 'Why go in when the giant girl outside is a whole snack'. Another went, 'Just order from the place across the street and you'll have a view of the giant babe'. The others were basically the same, just with different wording. It seemed that people were getting very distracted by me. So much so, that the business was suffering for it. Clearly, Mr. G had not seen these. Had he only read the first five? I was not sure if I should bring them up.


"These are awfully harsh. Way too mean, and honestly kind of rude!" I complained, hoping to make my boss feel better. And admittedly, to put the focus on the food issue.


"I know, right! I worked on that menu for months! Do you know how long it takes to perfect a recipe? How much time it took?" He buried his face into his hands, on the verge of sobbing.


"I don't, but I can tell it was really hard!" I tried, moving a finger to stroke his back. I wanted to console him, somehow. I was not sure how. "Could it have been a bad batch?"


"No way. I always source my ingredients from the best of the best! Freshness matters. But clearly not to them!" He complained, sniffling. "I don't know how I'm going to recover."


At that point, the guilt inside me was growing. Not only had I misjudged the man, I was letting him believe that his food was to blame! It felt wrong. It felt so wrong! Despite the voice in my head screaming and begging for me to keep my big mouth shut, my conscience would not let me. I had been hired to help improve his business, not to kill it. 


"Mr. G, I think you might be missing the actual problem here." I told him, which immediately grabbed his attention. He wiped his face on his sleeve and gave me his full attention. Again, I considered shutting up, but simply could not. "I think the problem here...is me."


"Nonsense! You're doing great!" He encouraged me, completely rejecting the notion. "It's not your fault Natty."


"Actually, it is..." I sighed, turning my phone screen to show him. I scrolled through the reviews, showing him what he had missed. It soon became clear to him that I was right. "I'm really sorry. I think this whole 'Gulli girl advertising' thing backfired."


I brace myself for those two, terrible words, but they did not come. Instead, my boss told me something that I had never heard before.


"It's okay." He shrugged. "Don't worry about it. There's always tomorrow."


"E-Excuse me?" I blinked, stunned and in disbelief. "What did you say?"


"I said there's always tomorrow." He half-smiled. "Probably just a bad batch, like you said!"


I stood there, unsure of what to do. On one hand, I was over the moon. Not only was he not blaming me, he wanted me to come back the next day! On the other, I felt incredibly guilty. There was no doubt in my mind that I was the problem. Simply put, I was too distracting! Honestly, I think that would be the same even if I wore a different outfit. It was too late--I had already been seen once. My image would soon become the face of his business, and that could spell the end of it. I knew what I had to do, and it killed me to go through with it.


"No, boss, you're wrong." I told him, sadly. I could not believe I was doing this. "I'm the problem here. I appreciate that you are giving me a second chance, but I am not willing to kill your business."


"Natty, I told you it's fine-" He tried, but I cut him off.


"No, it's not. And I'm sure you'll understand soon, when things go back to normal." I explained, going into some more detail.


Suddenly, his expression changed to pure optimism. "Alright, fine. Yes, you've done your job a little too well. But that's okay!"


"How long will it be okay for? With all due respect, sir, I don't plan on working here forever." I told him, matter-of-factly. "Let's be real here, they're coming for me, not the food. What will happen when I go? You'll lose all your customers!"


He squinted at me, a smile creeping across his face. An impressed one, for once. 


"I see how it is... Alright Natty, you drive a hard bargain! You'll make a great businesswoman someday, but for now, how about a raise? I'll double your pay, starting tomorrow!"


I stared at him in disbelief. Was this man right in the head? Was he not hearing me clearly? His offer was amazing, don't get me wrong! I was even tempted to take it. Clearly, he liked me, and the feeling was mutual. But that was precisely why I was trying to help him! 


"N-No, I can't accept that. Listen, it will be best for both of us if-"


It was his turn to cut me off this time, as he blurted out another offer. "Okay! Three times the pay, and I'll make you a special Natty-sized dish once a month for free. Final offer!"


I wanted to scream. He was so insufferably dense! And so kind! He was the boss I had always wanted, and I wanted so badly to just say yes. It was one word! One syllable! A silent nod would have been enough! But my stupid sense of right and wrong had to get in the way. I remember physically trembling as I spoke, fighting every fiber of my being as I did so.


"Sir, I hope you know how much I appreciate your offer, and I honestly wish you the very best in the future. I would love to try that dish sometime, but I'll be paying for it...as a customer."


"Why, Natty?" He asked, surprised by my answer.


"Because... I quit."

End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680

Chapter 5 by GTS33
Author's Notes:

Nathalie gets an unexpected visitor...

——————————

Four different jobs in one week. That had to be some sort of record! 


After reluctantly walking away from Mr. G, even as he begged me to stay from the rooftop of the restaurant, I went straight home. I did not know whether to cry into a pillow or laugh hysterically. I could not believe I had quit of my own volition. The job was mine! Yes, it was not the best job, nor was the pay anything to celebrate, but it was a job! A job with a boss who liked me. 


"This is for the best. You'll recover from this. Best of luck to you, Mr. G" I muttered to myself, as I entered my home.


I had to put it out of my mind. Dwelling on the past was not productive. There were far more pressing matters. Checking my bank account, I found that all I had left was the partial-pay I had received from each of my jobs, along with today's from Mr. G. It would get me through to the end of the week.


"Thank goodness. I was starting to worry... At least I won't go hungry."


Just to be clear, I was not actually that low on money. I had a nice amount saved up on the side, but it was reserved for a plane ticket back home. It was meant to be used only when I gave up. Using that would have essentially trapped me here in Lilliputia. Basically, it was untouchable. I feel the need to mention that, since someone might assume I had not planned ahead. I did.


As usual, I opened my laptop to begin browsing through job listings. It was becoming something of a routine at that point. Before I could even load the webpage, I heard a knocking on my door. I had not been expecting anyone. Curiously, I went to answer it. When I opened the door, I was met with one of my neighbors, a guy named Jack. He was a tall, older guy, kind of skinny, with a buzzcut. He was one of the first people I had met when I moved into the compound. We had lunch together once. He was a very friendly guy with everyone.


"Jack! Hey, what's up?" I greeted him, leaning on the doorframe.


"I'm good, Nathalie. Hey, may I come in?" He asked.


"Uhm, sure! Make yourself at home." I stepped aside, ushering him in.


Jack went over to the sofa, where I had been sitting a moment ago, and took a seat. I went to the kitchen to grab him a drink, forgetting that I had left my laptop open on the employment website. 


"I take it the job hunting isn't going so well?" 


"You could say that." I laughed weakly, walking over with his drink. I took a seat beside him and awkwardly shut my laptop. "It's been tough. And...you weren't supposed to see that. Heh."


He waved his hand at me. "Well, I already knew without seeing that."


"You did?" I asked, watching him take a long sip. He made a sound of acknowledgement as he did so, lowering it to his lap.


"Word gets around in a small town like this." He shrugged. "Plus, you have been wearing a different 'uniform' every day. I just assumed."


I winced, the embarrassment overwhelming me. So the whole community knew? The realization made me want to crawl into a corner and disappear. "Ughhh. Well, you're right. It's been terrible. I've been trying so hard, but I keep messing up and getting fired. It's like I'm cursed!"


"Oh, don't say that." He encouraged me. "It was rough for most of us when we first got here."


"How so?" I asked, leaning forward slightly. I was really interested. Knowing that I was not alone in this 'slump' was making me feel much better about myself.


"Let's be honest. Lillis don't take our size into account when they hire. Their 'precautions' are fairly weak at best."


"You could say that again..." I groaned. I ran my fingers through my hair and shook my head. "I'm starting to think that maybe I'm not suited for this. I could go home, but then what would I do? My degree is in tourism. No one's coming to Gulliveria these days for sightseeing."


Suddenly, Jack's eyes went wide. "Wait, did you say tourism? Seriously?"


I shrunk back into myself, preparing for him to laugh at me for picking such a stupid degree without considering the market. "Y-Yeah..."


"Nathalie! Why didn't you tell me sooner?" He laughed, though, not at my expense. He leaned forward too, his eyes full of joy. "I know a guy who is looking for someone exactly like you!"


"Really?" I asked, surprised by his sudden excitement.


"Yes. His name is Harry and he's an old friend of mine. Lilli guy about my age, even comes by our compound to visit sometimes. He told me about a vacancy in his company and I came here to tell you about it. Now that I know about your degree, I absolutely have to get you two in contact." 


He pulled out his phone and quickly wrote a message to Harry, letting me see it before he sent it. It was full of nice words vouching for me, like an informal letter of recommendation. I appreciated it, seeing as Jack and I were not close. Despite that, he had a lot to say. I must have made a greater impression on him than I had realized in our breif interactions since moving here.


"He'll get back to you soon." Jack smiled, happier for me than even I was. Honestly, I needed several questions answered before I could feel the same.


"Thank you so much, Jack, but... I'm totally lost. What is going on? What are you recommending me for?"


"It's probably better if he tells you." He said, before taking a huge gulp of his drink to finish it. He placed it down on the table and stood up. "Thanks for that. I've got some stuff to do, so I'll catch you later. I hope this works out for you."


I followed him to the door and let him out. I watched him walk away from the pinhole, until he was out of sight. I then turned around and stared off into the distance, zoning out completely.


"So that happened..."


After Jack left, I hopped on my computer to continue the job hunt. It was not that I doubted him or his friend, but I figured it would not hurt to continue my search. It never hurt to have backups. And it was not like I was busy or anything. That was the best thing I could be doing with my time. Hopefully I could find something...


Later that afternoon, I got a phonecall from an unknown number. I reached for it, hesitating to answer. Could it have been another former employer, this time calling back to press charges? Or was it Harry? There was only one way to find out.


"Hello?" I asked, my voice sounding super shy.


"Hi there, Nathalie." A man's voice greeted me back. It was deep but friendly. "Jack gave me your number. Is this a good time?"


"It is." I answered, my sudden relief allowing my voice to go back to normal. "I guess you're Harry?" 


"Have been for forty one years." He chuckled. "So, how much did he tell you about my vacancy?"


"Little to nothing, actually." I put my laptop away and slouched on my sofa, trying to relax. "He just dropped it on me and left."


"How very 'Jack' of him. Well, allow me to explain what I do and what I'm looking for." He cleared his throat and I heard other voices in the background. It sounded like he was moving around while talking to me. "I run a travel agency, GlobeRunner, that organizes vacations to your homeland, for Lillis. We've been looking for a Travel Consultant who can provide expert advice and recommendations to travellers. Someone like you."


"With all due respect, sir, I though Lillis didn't like travelling to Gulliveria?" I asked, struggling to believe such an agency actually exists and operates. "We have agencies back home, but they're few and they get almost no business."


I heard Harry laugh, but not to make fun of me. Like, he was just amused by my statement. He then went on to correct my misconceptions. "Well, obviously! It's no secret Lillis want to deal with their own kind. It's not a matter of sizism, merely familiarity. And Lillis do travel across the pond; a lot, actually. The south Gulliverian coast is basically Lilliputia two-point-oh in the summer months."


I had never even heard of that, but I knew too little to refute it. He had no reason to lie to me, either. So I believed him. "Wow. That's pretty cool."


"Indeed it is. So, you're probably wondering why Jack recommended you to me." He said, the noise in the background disappearing. I think he had found some privacy. "It's because I'm looking for a Gulli with Lilli experience. What do I mean by that? Well, someone who has lived here, understands us, and has experience in various shared-space environments. I see here that you have...a lot of experience. Not for long, yes, but varied enough to give you a unique perspective. Do I have that right?"


"Yes, you do..." I answered, still very embarrassed by my bad streak. "I've done a lot in a short time, but I learned a lot from it."


"That's great! Listen, I would like to offer you a position at my company. Not a physical one, since we don't have the accomodations for someone of your size, but a position nonetheless. It will be work from home, if that is acceptable?" 


"Y-Yes! It would." I answered, a little late due to the shock of all that I was hearing. Mentally, I was struggling to keep up. No, I was keeping up fine, I was just struggling to believe it was real. "I have a phone and a laptop. I can manage."


"I'll have someone send you an offer sometime tomorrow. And if you accept, you'll get a second phone with a new line. Anyone who needs to reach you will call you on that. Sound good?"


"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir." I answered awkwardly. I still had several questions, but it sounded like he was about to end the call. I did not want to let him go yet. "U-Um, sir! May I ask you something? It's a dumb question."


"Certainly." He said, without a hint of annoyance in his tone. 


"I was just thinking... Everything you said is so amazing and your company sounds wonderful and you are so generous for offering me this..." I began to blabber, taking a moment to calm myself before I could sound like a complete idiot. "I just don't understand how agencies like yours exist. I feel like I would have heard of them by now. I may be new to this, but I do my research."


"Hmm. Well, you already have one thing wrong." He said, which made me feel suddenly anxious. "It isn't 'agencies'. It's just 'agency'. We are the only one."


"Seriously?" I gasped.


"Seriously. It's family owned, going back to the days of Gulliver. Others have sprung up over times, but ours is the only one that lasted. We're a household name. The defacto choice for all your travel needs."


Hearing this only made my suspicions greater. I practically jumped up from the sofa and stood up straight. "Sir, I believe you, but how could I have not heard of you until now? Nor anyone from back home that I spoke with? It just...doesn't add up. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude."


He laughed again, this time at my anxiousness. "Don't worry at all, I understand. The answer to your question is that we're a tech-less company. You've heard of paperless; we're just the opposite. I never quite liked computers, and I only use phones since I have to. But you have to keep up with the times, so we will probably be doing digital soon. You haven't heard of us because almost no one in Gulliveria has. We don't even have a website."


I suddenly lost my grip on my phone and it fell to the floor. I was in utter disbelief. All this time, a place like this had existed, and I had not heard of it? Are you kidding me? It took me a few seconds to remember that I had been in a conversation. I snapped out of my trance and swiped up by phone, relieved that its screen had not cracked. I put it back on my ear and continued.


"I-I see! That's so funny!" I laughed, the ridiculousness of the situation catching up with me. "Thank you for clearing that up. I'm really excited to come work for you. I hope I can be useful to the agency."


"If all that I've heard about you is true, then I have no doubts!" He responded, matching my energy. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Nathalie. Have a wonderful rest of your day."


"You too, Mr. Harry." I answered, before he hung up.


That concludes my backstory. At last, I can talk about what I've been doing for the past three months! You probably guessed it right. I ended up getting a really nice offer from the agency, with a real, respectable salary. I signed the contract and got to work starting right after the weekend. The first day was a little rough, but the second was easier, and the third was even better. By the end of the week, I really had the hang of it! It was easy to do it because it was what I actually knew how to do. I even helped some of my old bosses, Ranger Tom and Mr. G, book fun vacations. We remain on good terms to this day.


When I told my parents, they were overjoyed. One of the perks of working in tourism is that I get to travel home a lot, so I rarely feel homesick. I never would have guessed I'd be living here permanently, nor that I would love it so much!


My day was simple. I woke up at eight, got online by nine, answered emails and took calls until twelve, took a break until twelve thirty, and then continued working until I could 'clock out' at five. All without ever leaving the comfort of my home. Well, mostly. There were days when I had to be physically present at the agency. Even though they went digital, their meetings were still held in person. As their Travel Consultant, a position that ended up being way more important than I'd initially thought, I was required to attend. The meetings took place on one of the higher floors, so I would sit beside the building and look in from the windows. It was awkward at first, but everyone was really nice to me so I quickly got used to it.


A month passed, then another, then another. I worked with countless Lilli singles, couples, families, and more. I drew from my experiences in Lilliputia, turning my 'accidents' into advice that could benefit others. I told them all about Gulliveria, including where to go, how to stay safe, and how to make the best use of their time. They really appreciated my frankness and I even got a really big tip once! It really made my day.


Oh, I almost forgot! My first in-person meeting with Mr. Harry was really nice. He came to our compound to see me at the end of my first week. Him, Jack, and I went to the restaurant and had a really expensive dinner, which he paid for. I remember eating until I was ready to pop. It was a really great time. 


In the end, all my struggles ended up helping me reach my goal. I never would have guessed that screwing up could be so useful! My one, true job is nice enough to help me forget the pain of the past. I do not even think about that stuff anymore, save for writing it all here in this journal. Once I close this book, I'm going to let it all fade away and focus on the future. I feel the need to write some grand message or takeaway before I sign off. I am not really sure what to put down, though. I have never been the poetic type. A few inspiring quotes come to mind, but they are not personal enough. Hmm...


Ooh, how about this?


Life is like a river... No, that's not it.


The worst mistakes lead to the best... I don't even know. Ugh.


Perseverence...! Effort and, um, talent will only... yeah, no. That is not it either.


I'll be back... (signed 4:08pm)


Okay, I'm back! (signed 11:57pm)


I think I have something good! Check this out:


Bad luck is real, but so is good luck. Be patient and things always get better. Even for the unluckiest girl in the world! 

End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to leave a review, or several, if you want. If you have an idea you'd like to see happen in the story, feel free to share it! I love interacting with my readers, and I will do my best to respond to you.


I've decided to launch a Patreon where supporters can gain access to chapters early. Chapter uploads are weekly. If you are eager to see what's next or just a fan of my work please consider checking it out! https://www.patreon.com/user?u=79288680

This story archived at http://www.giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=13559