In The Footsteps of Science by GothicPopsic
Summary:

A hapless college student and his best friend sign up for a gendered study, unaware of its true nature and their impending role in a life changing ordeal...

My first piece of fiction writing... ever! Apologies if there's some roughness, but hopefully this turns into something great!

(EDIT 8/6/2023: The story has received an intense overhaul, with several chapters changed slightly or dramatically to reflect my current writing! If things seem different, it's because they probably are!)


Follow my twitter (or X, I guess?) to contact me via DM, or keep up with my stories and ideas!

Twitter / X: https://twitter.com/GothicPopsic

My DeviantArt, where I post status updates too long for twitter, and also some of my more tame stories!

DeviantArt: https://www.deviantart.com/gothicpopsic

I have a Ko-fi now! If you feel like supporting me and my work, check out my page!

Ko-fi: https://ko-fi.com/gothicpopsic

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. All characters are 18+ unless specifically mentioned otherwise. This story may contain content disturbing to some viewers, please be advised.


Categories: Giantess, Young Adult 20-29, Body Part, Entrapment, Feet, Footwear, Humiliation, Odor, Unaware Characters: None
Growth: None
Shrink: Micro (1 in. to 1/2 in.)
Size Roles: F/m, FF/m
Warnings: Following story may contain inappropriate material for certain audiences
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 28344 Read: 42777 Published: June 28 2023 Updated: August 07 2023

1. Chapter 1 by GothicPopsic

2. Chapter 2 by GothicPopsic

3. Chapter 3 by GothicPopsic

4. Chapter 3.5 by GothicPopsic

5. Chapter 4 by GothicPopsic

6. Chapter 4.5 by GothicPopsic

7. Chapter 5 by GothicPopsic

8. Chapter 6 by GothicPopsic

9. Chapter 7 by GothicPopsic

10. Chapter 8 by GothicPopsic

11. Ending 1: Part 1 by GothicPopsic

12. Ending 1: Part 2 by GothicPopsic

Chapter 1 by GothicPopsic
Author's Notes:

David and his friend Emily find themselves suffering from hunger, and happen to come across an opportunity for some easy cash.

"Hey, David?" a voice called out from within the haze. “David!” the voice continued, a sense of urgency present as it grew louder and more irritated.


David snapped to reality, realizing that he'd zoned out completely. The voice he was hearing was in fact his best friend, Emily, who was currently staring at him with squinted eyes.


"Jesus, earth to David much? You were out of it. I was asking where you wanted to get food from?" she questioned with a concerned look, her emerald eyes boring a hole into his.


David simply stared at his friend. He had what others would describe as an obvious crush, but he, and she, would deny it if you brought it up to them. Her sweat-soaked auburn hair was tied up in a ponytail, letting her aforementioned brilliant green eyes soak up the limelight. Her light freckles broke up the open space on her perfect skin, albeit adorned with beads of said sweat from a just-finished softball practice session. Looking down, her button nose lead down to a pair of soft lips, immaculately -


"David!" Emily scorned, flicking David in his forehead, kicking him out of his cliché romantic gaze.


"Sorry, sorry, I pulled an all-nighter last night and I'm still reeling. What's up?" David tried to cover his obvious ogling as he awkwardly scratched the back of his head.


"For the millionth time, food, you asshole. Where are we getting food from?" Emily asked, impatiently tapping her feet. David caught himself noticing something as his eyes drifted down to the source of the sound; Emily had had those same shoes, a pair of pink Asics running shoes, for as long as he'd known her, all the way back in high school. Why was he even thinking about that? And why did she wear such old tattered things to every softball game? Are they even regulation?


"Um, I'm not sure, something cheap I guess…" David responded, knowing the two couldn't dare to go far outside of a flat-broke budget.


"Hm… wanna just get something at the campus cafeteria?" Emily asked, a hesitant tone to her voice.


"Sure, sounds better than staying this hungry. Let's get going. I think I ate a Dorito today and that's it…" David laughed as the two began walking to the cafeteria, with thoughts of cardboard-quality food lingering in their mind.







"Hey, you two, want to hear about a clinical study you can be a part of?" a voice called out to David and Emily, sounding solicitous but chirpy.


"Um, no thanks!" Emily quickly responded, determined to eat as the cafeteria was right within view, her hungry stomach pleading with her to ignore the nice-sounding lady.


"It pays great!" the solicitor further pressed, stepping closer to the two as they distanced themselves, but came to a sudden stop as they heard the word “pay.”


"Tell me more!" Emily said, flipping around with a smile, dragging David by his hand towards the clipboard-wielding woman.


David sighed, and followed suit, ignoring the grumbling in his stomach as he followed the whims of his greedy friend.


"We're offering participation in a gendered study, exploring the significance of heightened olfactory pheromone sensation caused by size alterations! That's the gist of it anyway, there's more in these pamphlets. The pay is fifty-dollars an hour for females, and two-hundred an hour for males. If either of you are interested, please take a pamphlet! If you're sure you want to participate now, go ahead and sign up on this clipboard here!" they explained, with an eerily cheerful tone that seemed a little too fake.


"Damn, why do the dudes get so much?" Emily pouted. "But still, fifty an hour is way more than I make at the coffee shop…" she continued, pausing to think as she pondered the ease of effort involved.


"I'm in!" David hastily exclaimed, grabbing a pamphlet and not thinking twice due to his growling stomach.


"Perfect! We've had a really hard time getting males to sign up, would you believe it, so it's great to hear that you're interested. Here's a pamphlet, and could I get your name and contact info?" the student smiled, handing David a clipboard. He neglected the pamphlet, having nowhere to carry it.


"Wow, you weren't kidding. It's almost full on the girls side. I'm the only dude so far…" David noticed as he wrote down his details, seeing a stacked row of feminine names, contrasting to the currently forming solo name he was putting down.


"Give me that too, I'm definitely in. Sounds like the easiest couple hundred bucks of my life…" Emily grinned, taking the clipboard and scribbling her own details down fervently.




"Wonderful! We'll be in touch soon with the both of you with instructions on how to prepare for the experiment and other important details. Have a great day!" the solicitor chirped, before immediately turning away from David and Emily to find more students to badger.


"Well, guess we're part of an experiment now, huh." Emily exclaimed, wiping the sweat off of her brow as the hot summer sun beat down upon her aching body.


"Yeah, honestly I couldn't begin to imagine what it involves based on what she said, I should've taken one of those pamphlets. It's whatever, two-hundred an hour is crazy worth it." David grinned, leading Emily to scoff as he boasted about his preferential treatment.


"Yeah, you lucky bastard. Anyway, back to the subject at hand… cafeteria pizza?" Emily inquired with a saddened tone.


"Cafeteria pizza…" David sighed, desperation taking over…







Within the shoddy dorm room, David laid on his bed, staring at the clock indicating it was just past midnight. He'd just finished an essay he really didn't want to do, and was thankful to finally be able to get some rest. Just as he was about to shut his eyes, his phone started to ring, breaking apart the eerie silence of the night, as his roommate was out and about.


"Uh… hello?" David said, answering the unknown number with suspicion.


"Hi, is this David?" the other voice on the end of the line answered, sounding feminine and almost… sultry. It had an immediate air of professionalism, but at the same time seemed so casually alluring,


"Yeah, this is he. Who's this?" he responded.


"This is Dr. Caitlin Ross, I believe you signed up for an experiment of mine recently?" the voice explained.


"Oh, hi Doctor. Yeah, I did, my friend Emily and I signed up after we were approached by one of your people..." David replied, reminiscing on the surprise encounter.




"Oh… you signed up with a friend? That's nice to hear… ah, I see now. David Johnson and… Emily Smith! Ah, I just got off the phone with her. Wonderful energy..." Caitlin responded, having an odd, almost mischievous tone to her voice. 


"Ehem, anyways. I'm sorry for calling you so late, I've only just now finished talking to the female volunteers. You're the only male volunteer unfortunately, so I figured I'd save you for last. The experiment will take place a week from now, on saturday, June sixth at ten AM. Is your schedule free?" Caitlin continued, sounding like she was reading something as she talked.


"I can make it so." David responded, a nonchalant answer as he had no real plans made. He wasn’t the most popular.


"Great. So, you actually have no prep to do for the experiment, unlike the girls. Just bring yourself and a willingness to aid the sciences! If you need any further explanation, please visit our website, it should be on the pamphlet you were given. I'll let you go now, I hope you have a good night, and I look forward to seeing you at Greater Steps within the week!" Caitlin cheered, cutting David off before he could mention he didn't get a pamphlet.


David was slightly taken aback, but figured it couldn’t be too much of a problem that he didn't take the pamphlet. He could just google the name she gave, but he was already too tired to keep his eyes open. After a few minutes of pondering the possibilities, his phone began to ring. It was Emily.


"Yo." David answered, ever casual with the front he put up for his secret crush.


"David, I just got a call from the… uh… experiment people! They're upping my rate to a hundred an hour!" Emily excitedly shouted through the phone, causing David to pull his ear away in response to the screeching sound forming in his ear.


"Jesus, do you know why?" he asked, astonished at the sudden uptick.


"Well, the lady running the experiment, I think her name was Caitlin, called me - super nice by the way, and explained a bunch of mumbo jumbo because I asked about it.” Emily began, a frantic energy apparent in her speech.


“Basically, the girls are supposed to get their feet all nasty for the experiment. Something to do with collecting data on "olfactory" reactions, I have no idea, I'm a business major. Anyway, Caitlin asked if I had any old shoes that might stink real bad pretty much, and I told her I've got these shoes I've worn to the gym and softball since high school, and that I don't like wearing socks in my shoes even when I'm doing sports because they feel weird and gross and-" Emily spouted, before being cut off by David.




"That's weird, she told me I just needed to bring myself…" David pondered aloud, wondering why there was such an apparent difference in required prep based on gender.


"Hey, don't talk over me, butthead… anyway, so I was saying that, and she said that she was delighted to hear it and would be willing to increase my compensation for being such a valuable sample! Isn't that great?!" Emily blasted through the phone, David hearing the groans of Emily's dorm mate in the background as she clearly interrupted her peace and quiet.


"Yeah Emily, that's great. Listen, it's late as hell and I've got class in the morning, I'll let you go, yeah?" David sighed, feeling his eyes closing already.


"Oh... Sure dude, catch ya later. See ya." Emily responded, hanging up and leaving David be.


"What does gender have to do with making your feet stinky?" David wondered, before laying his head up on his pillow and falling asleep in a near instant…


End Notes:
David finds himself left with many questions, but no real way to find answers besides biting the bullet. What will happen next?
Chapter 2 by GothicPopsic
Author's Notes:

Things start to get... weird.

It was June 6th faster than David could blink, and all the while he'd had one burning question that he couldn't get answered no matter who he asked; why do the girls have to make their feet stink, but he doesn't? Not that he wanted to, but he was just left with a point of curiosity that seemed to be part of the mechanics of the experiment. He didn't like that there were elements being kept hush-hush, but he gathered that's why the males didn't get many volunteers after reading whatever was on those pamphlets, as well as why the pay was so high.

Regardless of his worries, David was committed to going through with the experiment to save his wallet, willing to sacrifice most of his body for whatever purposes the experiment needed if it meant being able to eat something other than ramen for a change.

David sighed, and pulled out his phone. “Guess I’ll see if Emily is around…” he mumbled, scrolling through his minimal contacts.

"Yo, Emily!" David called out as she answered the phone, hearing the tell-tale click.

"What's up David?" Emily responded, sounding like she just woke up, a light grumble in her tone and the sound of ruffling sheets in the background.

"That's odd, she should be up and ready by now…" David thought.

 "Uh, just was wondering if you wanted to head to the experiment together. Did you just wake up or something?" he asked, a hint of concern in his voice.

"Yeah, I'm not supposed to go in until… I think the ninth? I wonder why you have to go in so much earlier?" Emily replied. “It’s the sixth today, so… three days…” she continued, a yawn escaping her mouth.

"Yeah, weird…" David muttered. He was greatly disappointed that he’d have to go to the trial alone.

"Dude I gotta tell you, I'm struggling here. I've pretty much worn my Asics barefoot for like every second I've been awake. Abby is staying with her boyfriend after like, the second night, because the smell in the dorm is getting so bad. I tried to leave them out in the hallway but the RA curbed that real quick after the complaints…" Emily explained with a groan.

David audibly responded with disgust.

"Jeez, that sounds terrible. Not really sure why they aren't paying you guys all that money, I don't even have to do anything." David stated with further curiosity.

"I know, like I said you're a lucky bastard. Anyway, can I go back to sleep? Staying awake with the smell in here is making me want to gag…" Emily said with an actual gag thrown in there.

"Right, sorry Em. I'll see you after the experiment I guess?" David said, trying not to laugh at his friends situation.

"Sure dude, I'll see ya later." Emily responded, hanging up.

David put his phone in his pocket and threw his jacket over himself, stepping out the door and heading to the address he assumed was correct.

"Hi, welcome to Greater Steps! I assume you're our male volunteer?" a feminine voice chirped from the reception desk as David took steady steps into the sterile looking main entrance.

"Yeah, hi, my name's David Johnson. Was there really no other dude that applied?" David asked, feeling more and more uneasy.

"No, unfortunately you're the only one. I mean, to be fair, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes - excuse the pun!" the kind-mannered receptionist giggled, but then adorned her face with an expression of regret.

"What do you mean by that?" David asked with curiosity, noticing the change in her expression.

"I'm sorry…” she began, a look of flustered panic on her face, before she composed herself and continued her sentence.

“I'm not allowed to disclose details of the experiment not already described within the pamphlet you were provided, or that could be found on our website. If you have further questions, feel free to ask Dr. Caitlin Ross, she's actually waiting for you in Room One. Would you like me to walk you to her?" she asked, smiling as she stood up to direct David.

"Uh, sure…" David responded with a puzzled tone, following the receptionist as she led the way.

She led David to a nearby room marked One, and directed him inside.

Before David could turn to thank her, another voice took his attention. And God, was she beautiful.

"Hello, Mr. Johnson," the woman greeted, her voice laced with a mix of confidence and curiosity. 

"It's nice to have a face to the name. I'm Caitlin, we talked on the phone. How are you feeling? Still ready to go through with it?" she asked, stepping closer to him.

David shifted his gaze from Caitlin's captivating green eyes, hidden behind her designer glasses, to take in her appearance. Her vibrant red hair cascaded over her shoulders, adding a touch of allure to her already striking presence. The lab coat she wore couldn't hide the curves that accentuated her figure, leaving David momentarily distracted

"Oh, uh, yeah I guess so. I had some questions I wanted to ask if that's okay?" David nervously responded, trying not to come across as a helpless pervert.

"Sure, sure. Just let me go ahead and do this real quick…" Caitlin said as she suddenly pressed her chest up against David.

"Uh, what-" David gasped, flustered beyond belief.

"Sorry, just checking some factors for the size alterations…" Caitlin responded, touching David's lymph nodes on his neck and feeling around other parts of his body.

"You're all good! Would you mind standing over here before I go ahead and answer those questions of yours?" she asked, directing David towards a metal platform that looked like a scale.

"Yeah…" David answered, feeling like he was visiting the doctor. He walked over to the platform and stood on it, awaiting further instructions before he could finally ask his burning questions.

"Ok, shoot!" Caitlin urged, while she continued to toy with the gadgetry near the platform.

"Well… why am I the only dude who applied? You're offering a lot of money…" David asked, looking curiously at what she was doing.

"Good question David! I would imagine, first of all, that they probably don't have as much of a drive to help science as you do!" she answered, not bothering to look his way.

David raised an eyebrow at Caitlin's response. It felt like she was dodging his question, but he decided to press on.

"But seriously, why the “size alterations,” I mean, what does that even mean? And why do the girls have to do all that foot stuff?" David asked, his curiosity getting the better of him.

Caitlin paused for a moment, her green eyes glimmering with a mix of excitement and hesitation. She took a deep breath before answering.

"The experiment we're conducting is focused on exploring the effects of heightened olfactory sensitivity and tolerance thresholds due to size alterations, for the purpose of expanding our classified upcoming product." Caitlin explained, carefully choosing her words as she gave David a customer-service smile.

David's confusion only grew. "But why do the girls have to make their feet stink? And why is their pay higher? You didn’t answer that one…” he continued, wondering if he was being too pressing.

Caitlin hesitated again, seemingly contemplating how much she should reveal. Finally, she decided to offer a partial explanation.

"The foot odor part of the experiment is specifically designed to test the threshold of tolerance someone can achieve when altered in size, and how they can handle long-term exposure." Caitlin clarified, her voice taking on a more serious tone. "As for the pay difference, it's not just about the foot odor. There are additional factors that we consider when determining compensation."

David felt a mixture of intrigue and concern. He couldn't shake the feeling that there was something more to this experiment than Caitlin was letting on. He decided to probe further.

"Can you at least tell me what the size alterations involve?" David asked, his voice tinged with suspicion.

Caitlin sighed, realizing that David wasn't going to let the matter rest. She glanced around the room, as if assessing whether it was safe to share more information.

"David, I understand your curiosity, but there are certain details that I can't disclose at the moment. The size alterations are a crucial part of the experiment, but revealing too much could compromise the integrity of our findings, unless we progress further…" Caitlin explained, seeming almost frustrated, as if the sweet bubbly persona she was showing was a front.

"I guess we can progress further." David sighed, worried about what he was entrusting to this suspicious woman.

"Wonderful. That's all I needed to hear.” Caitlin chirped, as she pressed a button on the control pad, making a loud beeping sound as she stepped away from it.

“Say cheese!" she laughed, as a bright flash enveloped the room. David tried to cover his eyes, but immediately felt his body go limp, and he fell to the floor, falling unconscious…

End Notes:
The classic shrinking and passing out cliché finally makes its appearance! How will David fair in what's to come...
Chapter 3 by GothicPopsic
Author's Notes:

And so begins a series of gross, foot-related ordeals David finds himself fighting through. Be warned, it's only getting worse from here...

David awoke, immediately realizing one thing was off; everything was gigantic! He had to be only an inch tall!

"What the fuck!" he screamed aloud, struggling to his feet.

"I didn't think size alterations meant fucking shrinking me!" he continued, looking around in a panic. 

"Caitlin! Caitlin - oh my god…" he gasped, looking forward to see what looked like a black flat shoe, only it was several stories tall. His eyes followed it, up to a pair of legs, then up to her midsection, all the way up to her face, so large it could be the moon, as the locks of flaming red hair descended across her gargantuan eyes, magnified even further by her prescription lenses.

"Hi David!" the giantesses voice boomed. 

"How are you feeling? I can't hear you right now due to our size difference, but I'm willing to answer your questions now! Please step onto my hand, I'm going to lay it flat next to you!" she explained, before causing a gust of wind to blow David over onto the platform as she bent down to lower her hand, her lab coat threatening to fall and crush him where he laid. Her hand fell next to David.

Feeling a mix of awe and absolute fear, David cautiously stepped onto Caitlin's outstretched hand, his entire body trembling. He couldn't believe the magnitude of the situation he found himself in, reduced to a minuscule size and facing a towering figure. As he was lifted up to Caitlin's face, he couldn't help but wonder what her intentions were. Hell, she could crush him here and now if she wanted to and no one would find out…

"Hey David, you're looking just fine, seems like the shrinking process was a success! And I must say, you have quite the toned body. You should be proud!" Caitlin smirked, allowing David to realize he was entirely naked.

"What did you do to me?!" David gasped, trying to cover himself up as the giantess giggled.

"The shrinking process eliminates obstruction. Your clothes qualify. Sorry, if I'd have told you to strip you may have tried to back out of the experiment. It's happened before. I can't have my only male leaving me so soon, can I? Speaking of, how about I explain the experiment for you now, since you were so curious beforehand.?" Caitlin smiled, beginning to walk to another room with David in her hand, him having to hold on to the slightly moist flesh of her palm as the wind blew over him.

She eventually reached another room, then walked in and closed the door. Some researchers were in the room, and they were all eagerly observing David. It was haunting to be viewed by beings so much larger, yet David realized he was their size not just moments ago.

She set David down into a one-way-view box with an opened lid, and began to speak. 

"So to answer your questions: the size alterations involve shrinking you down to an inch tall, as you can now tell!” she remarked, poking at the tiny within her hand.

“This has been known to increase sensory perception intensity severely, and we would like to see what the most severe scale of sensory stimulation can inflict on tiny beings. Funnily enough, that's pretty much what the pamphlet says, albeit a little censored. If you read it, you might've had a better judgment call before jumping at the money. Regardless, I greatly appreciate your participation. I'll go ahead and explain the mechanics of the experiment now that you're in the testing room." Caitlin monologued, her pride in her work evident.

Caitlin's words hung in the air, a mix of excitement and sadistic delight evident in her voice. David's eyes widened as he tried to process the full extent of what she was saying. This experiment was unlike anything he could have imagined, and the implications of Caitlin's words sent a shiver down his spine.

"W-What do you mean? Smell their feet? That's the point of this experiment?" David stammered, his voice laced with a combination of disbelief and apprehension.

Caitlin's grin widened, her eyes glinting with mischief. "Oh, yes, Mr. Johnson. The olfactory aspect of this experiment is a crucial component. When reduced in size, scents can cause great psychological overstimulation, and are crucial to test for our future intentions. And in this case, it's the scent of women's feet."

David's mind raced, struggling to comprehend the true nature of the experiment he had unwittingly signed up for. His gaze darted around the laboratory, his surroundings now taking on an ominous air. He couldn't help but feel absolute repulsion at the thought of being subjected to such an unpleasant experience.

Caitlin continued, her voice laced with a seductive undertone that made David's discomfort grow. "You see, Mr. Johnson, the sensors we placed on you are designed to capture your physiological responses when exposed to different scents, particularly the odor of women's feet. Your reactions will provide invaluable data for our research,."

David's sense of unease deepened as he realized the true extent of Caitlin's intentions. The invasive nature of the experiment, coupled with Caitlin's unabashedly horrific remarks, made him all the more fearful.

"Don't worry, Mr. Johnson," she whispered, her voice laced with a mix of reassurance and an underlying current of mischief. 

"You're a vital part of this experiment, and I assure you, your sacrifices will not be in vain. Your readings will provide us with groundbreaking insights into the complexities of human sensory perception." she furthered, even her whisper was loud enough to hurt David’s ears.

David was furious. But he knew one thing; he was at this woman's mercy.

"Anyway, there's two holes in the roof of this box we’ve set up here. It's one way, so you can see out, but the girls can't see in. They have no idea a tiny person is involved in this experiment, and we're going to keep it that way. All they will believe is that they'll put their feet in this box, and it'll collect data on how powerful their odor is. Which is technically true, it's just… you'll be the one collecting the data." Caitlin smirked with a tone of pure joy. Caitlin was a monster, and David fell right into her trap.

"But… why, what's the point?" David murmured, on the verge of tears.

"Well… let me put it in layman's terms…" Caitlin pondered, tapping a manicured clear-coat nail next to David, not even realizing it was shaking the ground he stood on as she idly thought of an explanation.

David's heart sank as he awaited Caitlin's response. The box felt suffocating, the weight of his predicament pressing down on him. He couldn't fathom why anyone would subject him to such an experiment, using him as a mere tool for their scientific curiosity.

Caitlin leaned closer, her face hovering just above the box, casting a shadow over David. Her eyes sparkled with a mix of excitement and fascination. 

"You see, David, scent is a powerful trigger for distress, however with long-term exposure, one can overcome this distress and go effectively nose blind to the scent. We want to test if with enough severe exposure to feet, especially those with conditions that increase odor…," she began, her voice lowering to a conspiratorial tone. 

“Well, I guess I’ll explain that if it comes to it…” she trailed off, leaving David confused and scared.

David struggled to comprehend the magnitude of what Caitlin was saying. He had become a tiny pawn in a twisted game of scientific exploration, a mere subject in an experiment with unknown consequences. His anger and fear intensified, but he also couldn't shake the sheer embarrassment of the situation he found himself in.

"But why me?" David managed to ask, his voice trembling. "Why subject me to this rather than finding willing participants? Why lie?”

Caitlin's expression softened, and she sighed. "Believe me, David, I would prefer to have willing participants. However, finding individuals who are genuinely open to this level of experimentation is challenging. Many back out at the last minute, fearing the unknown or simply unable to comprehend the implications fully."

She paused, searching David's miniscule eyes for any sign of understanding. "You, on the other hand, took the risk and signed up, even without knowing the complete details. I commend your courage, despite the circumstances. And don't worry, we have precautions in place to ensure your safety throughout the process."

David's anger began to subside, replaced by a sense of reluctant acceptance. He had indeed taken the risk, driven by his desperate need for money and an empty stomach. But now, he was faced with the consequences of his impulsive decision.

“We still have to operate within legal parameters, as we are trying to be a legitimate business… and between you and me, it’s quite complicated to make someone disappear. I prefer to avoid it at all costs, so rest assured, barring any complications, you’ll make it out of this experiment just fine…” Caitlin explained, not a single hint of compassion in her voice.

David gulped. She… made someone disappear before? She said it so casually, as if it was a mere inconvenience.

"So, what now?" he asked, his voice filled with fear. "What do you expect me to do in this experiment?"

Caitlin's eyes lit up with excitement. "You will collect data on the intensity of the scent emitted by the participants' feet. We have equipped you with sensors that will measure various parameters, allowing us to quantify the sensory experience. You may be the pioneer in an incredible breakthrough, David!”

David's gaze shifted towards the two holes in the roof of the box. Soon enough, if Emily was telling the truth, some woman's exceptionally nasty feet will be stuck through there, and he'll be sealed in, forced to deal with horrific smells.

"The first volunteer will be introduced momentarily. I've selected three girls out of the twenty-one who signed up, and I'm sure you'll find my choices quite… intense." Caitlin smiled, engrossed in a document while she spoke to David.

"You're going to be held here overnight, until the ninth in fact, just a heads up. If you made any plans, well, I guess you'll have to miss them. That was also in the pamphlet, if you were wondering…" Caitlin further revealed with a continued grin.

David fell to his knees. Three days of torture, all because he didn't read the stupid terms and conditions and got caught up chasing pennies.

Before he could fret any further, the sound of a knock at the door permeated the air.

Caitlin nodded to her assistant, who promptly closed the lid on David, and left him trapped in the box, able to see his surroundings but being invisible to the world around him. He looked nervously at the door, awaiting the individual who would be his torturer for who knows how long. Caitlin brushed her lab coat, then walked up and opened the door.

"May, how nice of you to make it. Please, come on inside…" Caitlin exclaimed, David desperately trying to see past her to get a glimpse at this "May."

May had an understated elegance that caught David's eye. She was a petite Asian woman with short, glossy black hair that framed her face, partially obscured by her glasses. Her outfit exuded a professional yet chic vibe—a crisp white blouse tucked into slim-fitting black slacks. As David looked up from his tiny vantage point on the ground, he noticed May's choice of footwear—a pair of simple and practical black flats, not too dissimilar from the ones Caitlin was wearing..

"Hi Doctor, I did what you said. I just really hope I did it right… I wore my oldest flats, with no tights or anything all week.” she began, a hurried franticness to her high-pitched voice.

“And, as I wrote down on the intake form, I have hyperhidrosis, so-" May spouted on, before being interrupted by Caitlin.

"Sorry May, yes you did very well preparing. I just want to explain your condition to my assistants so they can understand what we're going for. Lily! Do you know what hyperhidrosis is?" Caitlin asked her assistant, a short brunette who looked almost as if she was trying her hardest to copy Caitlin’s appearance.

"Yes ma'am, it makes your extremities sweat abnormally frequently, and in large amounts." Lily promptly responded, seemingly looking for affirmation from Caitlin.

"Very good Lily. And what does more sweat mean? More odor. May is a very good candidate for our experiment and we're lucky to have her. Please May, tell us a little more about your average week on your feet while you take a seat here in front of the sensory analysis chamber." Caitlin urged, guiding her over to the seat.

May followed the instructions, and sat herself down in a chair in front of a box in the middle of the room. She was intrigued by the fact it was concealed except for two holes, obviously shaped so that her feet could be placed in.

"Oh, well I work in an office. I walk around a lot and it makes my feet sweat a ton, like to the point where I sometimes slip in my shoes. My sister lives with me, and makes me put my flats in a plastic bag when I get home because they smell so bad. I've had them for years and I was actually… uh… going to replace them with the money I get from the experiment…" May nervously explained, shifting her feet around in her worn-down flats.

"Very good May. Now, we can begin the experiment, if you're ready? Just take off your shoes and place them beside you if you wouldn't mind, then whenever you're ready to, go ahead and slide your feet in the sensory chamber so we can get our readings. It'll be a few hours, but we have plenty of entertainment we can provide in the meantime if your phone isn't satisfactory." Caitlin explained, nodding to her assistants who began rigging up a device attached to the box.

"Oh, uh, okay. Do you all… need to be in here? The smell is really bad… so…" May sheepishly admitted, as she looked down at the scuffed footwear.

"No worries at all, May. It's part of our expectations that we'll have to deal with a little odor for the sake of science. Feel free to begin whenever you'd like…" Caitlin smiled, taking a step back from May.

"Alright… here goes…" May, aware of the attention on her, hesitated. She looked down at her feet, contemplating the forthcoming act of removing her shoes. David's eyes fixated on her every movement, the tension building with each passing second. May's fingers trembled slightly as they wrapped around the heel of her shoe, her breath hitching.

David watched nervously as May prepared to remove her shoes. The box that held him felt suffocating, and he couldn't help but feel a wave of panic wash over him. He was about to be subjected to the intense smells of May's unwashed sweaty feet, trapped in a confined space with no means of escape.

Time seemed to slow down as May's hand began to pull the shoe away from her foot. David's senses sharpened, hyper-focused on the impending unveiling of her sweaty, odorous feet. The room was filled with an eerie silence, broken only by the faint sound of fabric stretching and the soft gasp that escaped May's lips.

Taking a deep breath, May summoned her resolve. Slowly, deliberately, she began to slide her foot out of the shoe. The process seemed to unfold in agonizing slow motion, drawing out the moment as David's anticipation mounted. The scent of May's foot began to permeate the air, emitting an instantly cheesy aroma that carried throughout the room.

As the heel of her foot emerged completely from the shoe, David was met with a sight that simultaneously fascinated and repelled him. her foot was damp, glistening with perspiration that highlighted the contours and crevices. Beads of sweat gathered between her toes, evidence of the humidity within her enclosed shoes.

The room seemed to hold its breath as May wiggled her toes, testing the newfound freedom. A sense of relief washed over her face, accompanied by a hint of embarrassment. She couldn't help but feel self-conscious about the vulnerability of exposing her feet to be scrutinized and smelled by a group of researchers.

Time stood still as May's foot slowly broke free from the confines of the shoe. The scent of her sweat wafted through the air, slowly falling down to David, who immediately understood just what he was in for, as he was brought to gagging immediately just from the radial smell.

The vile, sweaty odor invaded his nose, causing his body to recoil in disgust. He desperately tried to find safety in the box, seeking respite from the noxious fumes, but there was no escape.

May, oblivious to David's plight, continued to expose her foot inch by inch. The room seemed to be enveloped in a fog of her scent, the air heavy with the distinct musk of her unwashed feet. 

The other researchers exchanged glances, acknowledging the intensity of the odor that permeated the room. 

Now aware of the impact her foot odor had on them, May felt a wave of embarrassment wash over her. She had never imagined that her condition could elicit such a strong reaction.

Caitlin approached May with a reassuring smile. "You're doing great, May. We understand that this can be overwhelming, but your participation is invaluable. We're here to support you throughout the process."

May nodded, finding comfort in Caitlin's words. She took a deep breath and gathered her courage, ready to take the next step in the experiment. Slowly, she lowered her exposed foot all the way into the waiting sensory chamber, the cool metal surface providing a stark contrast to the warmth of her skin.

David found himself trapped in a suffocating world of May's foot odor. From his vantage point inside the sensory chamber, the noxious scent intensified, assaulting his senses with its overpowering presence. He struggled to maintain his composure, his stomach churning with each inhale.

He could feel the dampness in the air, as if the humidity from May's feet permeated every corner of the chamber. The distinct musk of her unwashed, horrific feet filled his nostrils, making it difficult for him to focus on anything else.

As time passed, David's senses became acutely attuned to every detail of May's feet. The delicate arches that bore the weight of her body, now exposed and marked with the signs of neglect, revealed the toll of long days spent on her feet. The skin, probably once smooth and supple, now exhibited patches of roughness, evidence of the lack of proper care.

He couldn't help but notice the calluses that formed on the balls of her feet, a result of the constant pressure and friction. They were rough and hardened, a testament to the hardships her feet endured within the acrid flats. The chipped pink nail polish on her toes hinted at a lack of attention to even the most basic grooming routines.

David's stomach churned further as he noticed the accumulated dirt and grime that had settled between May's toes. The odor emanating from that small space was particularly potent, a nasty cocktail of sweat and bacteria that made him grimace in discomfort.

As David continued to endure the overwhelming presence of May's neglected feet, a sudden change in the room's temperature caught his attention. Caitlin had decided to turn up the heat, knowing that it would make May sweat even more, and further enhance the suffering of David.

The room grew warmer, causing beads of sweat to form on Mei's forehead and trickle down her face. Unbeknownst to her, this change in temperature had a direct impact on her feet. The heat intensified the perspiration, amplifying the pungent odor that already filled the air. 

With each passing moment, the moisture on May's feet increased, fueled by the rising temperature. Beads of sweat formed on the soles of her feet, glistening as they trickled down, gliding across the fetid skin of her neglected appendages. The combined scent of perspiration and foot odor became even more pronounced, swirling in the heated atmosphere. The room seemed to thicken with the overwhelming fog that emanated from May's feet, filling the limited space of the box with a dense cloud of foot-air.

David, still trapped within the confines of the sensory chamber, was subjected to the intensified assault on his senses. The smell became more pervasive, clinging to his skin and threatening to choke him. He could practically - no, literally, taste the salty tang of May's sweat.

May, unaware of the impact her sweating feet had on David, continued her conversation with Caitlin. Caitlin, maintaining her composure despite the suffocating atmosphere, addressed May with a sympathetic smile. "You're still doing good, May. I know it's been challenging, but your contribution to this experiment is invaluable."

May nodded, wiping the sweat from her petite forehead with the back of her hand. 

Caitlin, observing David's distress from outside the sensory chamber, couldn't help but feel a twisted curiosity about the extent of his suffering. As she watched him struggle to endure the overpowering stench of May's feet, a sadistic thought crossed her mind...

But as quickly as the sadistic fantasy emerged, Caitlin dismissed it. She reminded herself of the ethical boundaries she must uphold as a researcher and the responsibility she had to ensure the well-being of all participants, even David. Pushing aside her momentary lapse, Caitlin refocused her attention on supporting May through the experiment.

Inside the chamber, David's suffering reached its peak. He struggled to maintain his composure as the overpowering scent of May's sweating feet invaded every inch of the confined space. The combination of heat, moisture, and foot odor threatened to overwhelm him completely. His eyes watered, and his throat felt raw from the constant assault on his senses.

"You're still doing great, May," Caitlin said, her voice steady but lacking the usual warmth. "Just a little longer, and we'll be done with your part of the experiment. You're helping us more than you could ever imagine."

May nodded, though a flicker of doubt danced in her eyes. The atmosphere in the room had shifted, and she couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. But she trusted Caitlin, and she knew she had come this far for a reason.

Another hour passed, each minute feeling like an eternity as May endured the monotony and David's suffering persisted. Finally, Caitlin signaled that it was time to end May's participation in the experiment.

Relief washed over May as she slowly withdrew her feet from the sensory chamber, occasional drops of sweat falling back into the box from them as they rose out.

As May stepped out of the sensory chamber, she was immediately greeted by a rush of fresh air that felt like a cool breeze against her damp skin. The weight of the suffocating atmosphere lifted, and she took a moment to savor the newfound freedom on her feet, wiggling her toes and taking in the air gliding between them.

Caitlin approached May with a mix of concern and admiration. "You did it, May. You made it through the entire experiment. Your dedication and resilience are truly commendable."

A smile of accomplishment played on May's lips as she looked at Caitlin. "Thank you, Caitlin. Am I free to go now?" she asked, clearly worn from the stress of the experience.

Caitlin nodded, a genuine warmth returning to her expression. "You've contributed immensely to our research. Your compensation will reflect this. I’ll begin the process of your release…"

David's weary eyes followed May's every move. A mixture of relief and curiosity filled his mind as he saw the sight of her feet, free from the confines of the chamber.

Her face was flushed, a glistening sheen of sweat still present on her forehead and neck. She brushed a strand of damp hair behind her ear, revealing the embarrassment etched on her features.

David's gaze shifted downward, his attention fixated on May's feet, observing every curve, arch, and wrinkle. The sight of her feet was associated with excruciating torture, and he was grateful to be seeing them for hopefully the last time in his life.

As May slipped her feet back into her flats, David couldn't help but feel a sense of relief wash over him. The intense aroma that had once filled the sensory chamber was slowly dissipating.

With May's participation in the experiment concluded, Caitlin guided her to a nearby area where she could rest and recover. David watched as she grabbed a bottle of water to hand to her, and motioned for an assistant to see to her. May smiled, and David watched her disappear from sight as the door to the room closed.

Caitlin approached the box, leaning down with a knowing smile.. "It's over, David. May's part in the experiment has come to an end. I know it was challenging, but you showed immense strength throughout. Day one is over, now you have time to rest before day two." Caitlin explained, tapping the box twice before standing up again, towering over David.

"DAY TWO?!" David screamed. He couldn't survive another day like today, Mei's feet almost killed him by the smell alone. How long before some dumb girl steps right on him and ends the experiment there and then?

David's voice was drowned in the echoes of the room, and Caitlin, unable to hear his plea, misinterpreted his silence as a sign of resilience. Without a second thought, she continued, 

"You've proven yourself, David. Tomorrow will bring new challenges, but I have faith in your ability to handle them. Rest well and prepare yourself for what's to come." Caitlin urged, before guiding herself and her assistants out of the room.

David's heart sank. He had hoped Caitlin would understand his distress and offer him a way out. But as she walked away, oblivious to his true state, he realized that he was alone in this experiment, trapped in a situation that was spiraling out of control.

As the hours passed, David found himself filled with dread and anxiety. The memory of May's feet and the overpowering stench lingered in his mind. The thought of enduring another day, enduring more feet, was almost unbearable.

In the solitude of his containment, David tried to come up with a plan. He needed a way to communicate his desperate situation to the assistants or anyone who could help him. But the walls of the sensory chamber seemed impenetrable, isolating him from the outside world.

He felt defeated, and could do nothing but crumble onto the uncomfortable metal floor of the sensory chamber. Caitlin's lack of empathy towards him was palpable, as he hadn't even been provided bedding or sustenance before her exit. He was parched beyond belief, and the only form of liquid in the chamber was…

*GAG*

May's leftover foot sweat…

End Notes:

And so, David endured his first trial in the experiment, but based on Caitlin's hints, the worst may be yet to come...

Chapter 3.5 by GothicPopsic
Author's Notes:

David reviews the events of the past, and ponders what that could mean for the future.

As he lay there, contemplating the events that had led him to his current diminished state, David couldn't help but feel a sense of unease gnawing at him. The room was eerily silent, amplifying the weight of his isolation. He longed for the comfort of his normal-sized existence, where everything was familiar and predictable.

"What have I gotten myself into?" David muttered to himself, his voice barely audible in the stillness. Clearly, saying he didn’t want to be further involved in the experiment wasn’t going to get him out of his predicament; it was obvious Caitlin was willing to circumnavigate ethics to get the results she wanted.

Resigned to this fact, David pondered what was going to happen tomorrow. May seemed like a sweet, innocent person, but her feet inflicted more mental damage on David than any bully he’d ever dealt with. He could still taste their essence in the air and he’d be gagging if his body hadn’t done him the favor of getting used to it.

He thought about those beige flats, remembering the moment when May took them off and introduced him to the taste of his new hell. Such a simple action bore so much pain for him, and she had no idea of what she was doing to him. Somehow the extra layer of separation between him and the volunteer was all the more dehumanizing, as well as dangerous. How did Caitlin even get authorization to run this experiment… Did she?

David thought further about her.

If Caitlin was implying what David thought she was, things would only be getting worse. But what could be worse than what May’s feet were capable of? The girl had extra-sweaty feet because of her condition, what could be worse than that?

“May was told to wear her oldest flats… Emily was given higher compensation for wearing her Asics…  that means whoever's next has something similar going on… wait… Emily?” David spoke aloud. He realized it. There was a non-zero chance Emily would be one of the participants. Considering the set-up of the experiment, she’d have no idea he would even be involved, so hoping for her to save him was pointless. The very idea of his best friend putting him through that level of torture broke his heart.

David wasn’t exactly phobic of feet, but now he wasn’t so sure. Regardless, he’d always harbored quite a strong dislike for them, and that was actually Emily’s fault. He recalled a time in which Emily asked him for a foot massage after a softball game, and his stupid crush on her made him cave and do it. What he didn’t realize was just how bad and neglected Emily’s feet were. She doesn’t even wear socks… ever!

David continued to reminisce about that incident, shaking his head at the memory. Emily's casual attitude towards her own foot odor had always baffled him. He had never understood how she could be so nonchalant about something that seemed so repulsive to him.

But now, lying there in the darkness, David realized that his aversion to foot odor had taken on a whole new level of significance. It was no longer just a personal preference or a mild discomfort; it had become a matter of survival.

As he considered the possibility of Emily being involved in the experiment, he couldn't help but feel a surge of anxiety. What if she was the next participant? Would he be able to endure the torture of her odor for an extended period of time? The thought made his stomach churn.

“Anyone but her…” David muttered, laying his head back on the cool metal of the box. “Please god, spare me from tomorrow… I can’t handle any more feet…” he continued, starting to drift off to sleep in his exhausted state.


End Notes:

A short but very necessary chapter. David's journey continues next chapter, and things get even worse for our poor protagonist...

(Chapter rewritten 6/30/22)

Chapter 4 by GothicPopsic
Author's Notes:

A new participant is introduced, and brings new challenges for David to face.

An earthquake reverberated through the room, shaking David awake. “What the hell is happening?!” he called out, bouncing off of the metal floor and feeling the bruises as they formed.

The lights suddenly flipped on, allowing David to see as his eyes adjusted to the sudden brightness. What he saw was more terrifying than any monster in fiction.

“Welcome to the experiment, Chloe! So good to have you. I take it you’ve prepared for the experiment as we discussed?” Caitlin’s ever-terrifying voice chirped as she appeared in David’s eyeline. He wasn’t looking at her though, his eyes were locked on the towering wall of black that was the new participants' platform boots. His gaze slowly shifted from the thick rubber soles of the boots, to the person standing atop them.

Chloe, with her box-dyed wolf-cut purple hair, made an immediate impression. Her pale skin provided a striking contrast to the vibrant hues of her locks. As the lights illuminated the room, David could see the intricate details of her alternative style. She wore bold e-girl style makeup, accentuating her piercing, deep-set blue eyes with a smoky eyeshadow that matched the intensity of her gaze. A silver stud adorned her septum, and her earlobes were adorned with a pair of black gauges barely visible beneath the hanging strands of vivid purple.

She donned a vintage band t-shirt, with a fishnet top layered underneath, showing off arms just as pale if not more than her face. She completed her look with a pair of torn skinny jeans and knee-high boots, a rugged ensemble that reminded David of the girls who intimidated him to his core in high school. He could tell just by her look that this girl was trouble; and it was clearly her platform boots that were the cause of the quakes.

“Yeah, I’ve “prepared.” Good thing you guys are paying me hella good, because this was a lot, even for me.” Chloe said emotionlessly, her cold gaze terrifying David. “I mean seriously, wearing socks for a week isn’t something I don’t do, but it’s been so hot, I can literally wring these things out and fill a shot-glass.”

David fell on his knees in defeat. He was wondering what the catch was going to be.

“Well, we never insisted on wearing combat boots, but we applaud your extra contribution to the cause, Chloe!” Caitlin responded, an air of joy in her tone.

“Oh, these things? Hah, yeah, but they’re the only thing I’ve got that keeps the smell in. Trust me, you’ll see what I’m talking about when they come off. Speaking of, how about we get this show on the road, my feet are baking…” Chloe complained, noticing the box in the middle of the room and the chair in front of it.

“I assume I gotta sit here?” she asked, not caring to hear an answer before she dropped down into the seat, dropping her feet with a deafening thud as the heavy rubber soles smacked down onto the ground, launching David up even further.

“Yes, let me go ahead and explain what I’ll need you to-” Caitlin began, before being cut off by Chloe.

“Yeah yeah, I think I get it. You want me to stick my feet in the holes of this box?” Chloe assumed, not caring about her blunt rudeness.

“Correct. However, in your case, I’d like you to leave the socks on please.” Caitlin explained, struggling to interact with the brutish gothic girl.

“You got it. You all might want to cover your noses…” Chloe grinned, before leaning down to take off her boots. As Chloe began unlacing her boots, David's anxiety reached new heights. The scent of Chloe's week-old socks was already permeating the air, filling the chamber with an overpowering odor. David's senses went into overdrive, his nostrils assaulted by the noxious fumes.

With a final tug, Chloe freed her last foot from the confines of her boots. David braced himself, knowing that the worst was yet to come. He watched with a mixture of horror and morbid curiosity as Chloe slowly showed her socks, revealing the grimy, discolored fabric.

The stench hit David like a physical blow, robbing him of his breath. It was an amalgamation of sweat and neglect that seemed to defy description. The overwhelming odor seeped into every corner of the chamber, suffocating David and leaving him gasping for fresh air that he couldn't find.

Chloe, seemingly unfazed by the pungent vinegary aroma emanating from her socks, wiggled her toes and stretched her legs. She seemed to take pleasure in the discomfort she caused the researchers, who began to stifle coughs, some even sneezing in reaction to the intensity.

Caitlin, oblivious to David's anguish, observed Chloe with a mix of fascination and satisfaction. The experiment had reached a new level of intensity, and the sadistic nature of the sensory torture rituals seemed to fuel her enthusiasm. She leaned in closer to Chloe, her eyes gleaming with anticipation.

"Chloe, your dedication to maintaining the… um, aroma, of your socks is truly remarkable," Caitlin remarked, her voice tinged with excitement. "Your unique contribution will help us gather invaluable data for our research. Now, I want you to take a moment to embrace the environment and let your feet breathe freely. When you're ready, lower your feet into the chamber" Caitlin explained, before stepping back to view the monitors.

Chloe sighed, deciding to go ahead and shove her feet into the box and get this over with. David was able to get a better look at her socks: Chloe's socks were a sight to behold, and not in a pleasant way. The once-white fabric had transformed into a grotesque shade of murky gray, tainted by layers of dirt, grime, and perspiration. Stains of various colors marred the surface, evidence of Chloe's blatant disregard for hygiene. The socks clung tightly to her feet, accentuating the odor that emanated from them.

As Chloe lowered her feet into the chamber, the full extent of the sock's condition became apparent. The fabric was stretched and misshapen, with threads threatening to unravel at any moment. Patches of thinning material revealed glimpses of her skin, further adding to the visual horror. The cuffs of the socks were frayed and worn, barely clinging to the ankles.

Despite all these features, it was the smell that truly defined Chloe's socks. A putrid combination of sweat, dirt, and pungent feet wafted through the chamber, assaulting David's senses with its raw power.

The stench permeated every nook and cranny of the sensory chamber, invading David's nostrils and embedding itself in his memory. It had an underlying mustiness that could only come from extended neglect.

David's eyes watered involuntarily as the odor assaulted him, his throat constricting in a futile attempt to ward off the smell.

Caitlin, observing from the control panel, watched with morbid fascination as David's discomfort intensified. The research team had meticulously designed the experiment to push the boundaries of sensory endurance, and Chloe's contribution had exceeded their expectations.

As the minutes ticked by, David's anguish grew. The combination of Mei's overwhelming foot odor from the previous day and now Chloe's noxious socks pushed him to the brink of his sanity. He could feel his mind teetering on the edge, threatened to be consumed by the unrelenting assault on his senses.

Desperation washed over him, fueling his determination to find an escape. With every ounce of willpower he could muster, David fought against the overwhelming despair. He knew that his only chance at maintaining his sanity was finding a way to communicate his distress to the outside world.

The experiment stretched on, but eventually a word stuck out from the haze of senses David was experiencing. "Alright." was spoken by Caitlin. Finally, a reprieve.

"Time to take your socks off." she urged.

"No, god no!" David screamed. Chloe simply shrugged, and hooked a finger into the cuff of her sock. What David saw next led him to almost throw up right there and then. As Chloe pulled at her sock, David's eyes widened in horror. He watched with a mix of disgust and disbelief as she slowly peeled the sock off, revealing the true extent of the repulsive scene before him.

The sight that unfolded was beyond anything David could have imagined. The surface of Chloe's foot was filthy. The once pale skin had taken on a sickly, yellowish hue, further accentuating the filth that clung to her.

David's gaze was drawn to her toes, which were encased in a thick layer of dirt and dried sweat. Between them was a clear build up of lint and dead skin, something many call “toe-jam.” The nails were unkempt, clearly dirty and slightly yellowed. The overall condition of Chloe's feet was an embodiment of the consequences of her unhygienic habits.

As the sock had come off completely, a cloud of even more putrid odor wafted through the chamber, assaulting David's senses once again. It was a sickening combination of rot and decay, mingled with the sour stench of unwashed feet. The overpowering smell filled the air, suffocating David and leaving him gagging for fresh oxygen.

Chloe, on the other hand, seemed unbothered by the state of her feet. She nonchalantly tossed her dirty sock aside, lowering her foot back down and exposing its bare form to the chamber's unforgiving atmosphere. 

She proceeded to remove the second sock, revealing her equally repulsive foot. The sight was a horrifying display of neglect and uncleanliness, as her other foot mirrored the revolting condition of the first.

David's senses were overwhelmed by the sight, smell, and the knowledge of what awaited him. The combination of Mei's and Chloe's feet had intensified the already unbearable assault on his senses. The nauseating odor enveloped every inch of his being, leaving him gasping for clean air that eluded him.

Chloe, oblivious to the torment she was causing, lowered both of her feet into the chamber with a casual disregard for David's invisible suffering.

As Chloe's second foot descended into the chamber, David felt a surge of despair wash over him. The chamber, now hosting the wretched combination of both of Chloe's feet, further became a chamber of horrors for him. The intense odor emanating from the neglected feet filled every nook and cranny of the confined space, leaving no reprieve for David's tortured senses.

As Chloe settled into her position, seemingly unaffected by the repugnant environment she had created, Caitlin approached her.

"Chloe, I can't help but wonder, during your intake exam, you mentioned a lack of hygiene in relation to your feet. Could you elaborate on that?" Caitlin asked, her curiosity evident.

Chloe let out a sigh, her nonchalant expression not wavering. "To be honest, I've never been one to put much effort into taking care of my feet. I guess you could say I'm just lazy in that department."

Caitlin furrowed her brow, wanting to delve deeper into the matter. "When you say 'lack of hygiene,' what specifically do you mean?"

Chloe shrugged, a carefree attitude in her response. "Well, for starters, if I do wash them, it's usually just a quick splash of water. I don't bother with soaps or scrubs."

Caitlin's surprise was evident, but she remained composed. "And what about wearing socks? Do you take any precautions in that regard?"

Chloe chuckled, seemingly unfazed. "Oh, I wear socks alright. In fact, I overwear them without washing them. I can go days, sometimes even a week, without changing them. They get pretty ripe, but it's just easier that way, you know? Honestly, this isn’t even the longest I’ve worn a pair. One time my apartment's laundry just shat the bed and I didn’t have clean socks for two weeks…"

Caitlin couldn't hide her astonishment. "That must lead to some rather unpleasant odors. Do you ever encounter any issues or complaints because of it?"

Chloe's smirk turned into a wry grin. "Well, I had this ex-boyfriend who used to complain about my feet all the time. He thought they were disgusting."

Intrigued, Caitlin pressed further. "What did he specifically find disgusting about your feet?"

Chloe's grin widened. "He said they smelled like a mix of old cheese and sweaty gym socks. He couldn't stand the smell. Honestly it might've been why we didn't work out."

Caitlin couldn't help but feel a mix of fascination and disbelief. "That must have been quite unpleasant. Did his protests motivate you to change your habits?"

Chloe shrugged, a nonchalant attitude in her response. "Nah, not really. I've always been lazy when it comes to foot hygiene, and his complaints didn't bother me enough to change. If I gave a shit what an ex thought I’d be a sad sack of shit…"

Caitlin nodded, trying to understand Chloe's perspective. "So, you simply don’t care about others' opinions of your hygiene?"

Chloe chuckled again. "I figured it was his problem if he couldn't handle a little smell. It wasn't a big deal to me. Besides, not to state the obvious, but do I look like someone who gives a shit about what people think?"

David was astounded by the vile habits of the woman currently inflicting his suffering. At least May couldn’t help the horrid smell she created, but Chloe? She was just disgusting and lazy, and her putrid feet were an example of it. He was already leaning against the wall of the chamber staring at her feet, which were currently tapping up and down, further wafting the stench everywhere. 

“How much longer…” he wearily muttered, feeling his energy sapping from him as every labored breath got weaker and weaker.

As David's energy waned and his hope dwindled, he felt an overwhelming sense of despair. The repulsive stench emanating from Chloe's neglected feet permeated every inch of the chamber, intensifying his torment. He was trapped in this nightmarish world, shrunken down and powerless to escape.

As Chloe's feet continued their restless tapping, David struggled to breathe, his weakened body barely able to withstand the noxious fumes. Every inhale felt like a suffocating gulp of putrid air, while each exhale brought no relief. His vision blurred, and his head throbbed with the persistent odor.

Through his diminishing senses, David watched as Caitlin observed Chloe's feet with a mix of fascination and satisfaction. The researcher seemed completely absorbed in the experiment, unaware or indifferent to the suffering David was enduring. It was as if his existence had become insignificant to her, only being a vessel for her scientific research…

-

“Alright Chloe, you’ve been invaluable in our research. You may remove your feet from the chamber now, and put your footwear back on.” Cailtin urged. Even she was overwhelmed by Chloe’s stench.

Chloe wiped her brow, fussing her hair and letting out a sigh of relief.

“Sounds good. About my money…” Chloe asked, as she lifted her feet out of the chamber, giving David the opportunity to gulp down the pocket of barely-fresh air forced in by their removal. In their place was a print of sweat, radiating a mist within the air that David ignored as best he could.

“Yes, the front desk has your payment in cash.” Caitlin responded, watching as Chloe lazily pulled on her loose socks, then plunged her feet into her knee-high boots.

“Right. And it’s the increased rate, right?’ Chloe nudged impatiently.

“Yes, $150 for the two hours.” Caitlin responded, growing weary of Chloe’s money grubbing.

“Sweet. Alright, peace, and thanks for the foot money!” Chloe laughed, stomping her way out of the room at a researcher's annoyed request.

Caitlin sighed, then kneeled down in front of the box, opening the lid and speaking to the tiny figure in front of her.

“Well, Mr. Johnson, you’ve done well making it another day. I expected you to pass out on this one, if I’m being honest. She was intense… in more ways than one. But, to reward you for your performance and contributions to the sciences, we’ve prepared you some food and water. Please, enjoy it. The final session will begin tomorrow.” Caitlin explained, before standing up and walking out of the room, leaving David alone with his thoughts and the lingering stench of Chloe’s feet.

David simply stared at the food and water in front of him. A crumb of bread, and a cap full of water. “I’m being treated like a fucking lab rat…” he grumbled. He didn’t even have the stomach to eat, the raw essence of Chloe’s unwashed socks being lodged in his nostrils.

He leaned against the wall of the box and slid down onto the floor, blacking out the thoughts of the day.

“The final session, huh?” he said aloud.

“One more girl. I can handle it. Just one more set of…” David gagged, catching himself before he threw up.

“Feet…”

End Notes:

David is barely hanging on after this ordeal! Will he make it through the final trial?

Chapter 4.5 by GothicPopsic
Author's Notes:

David once again recalls a memory of the past, spurred on by recent trauma inflicted by the feet of giants...

David's restless sleep was abruptly interrupted as he jolted awake, his mind still reeling from the second vivid foot-related memory of the past that had resurfaced. In the depths of the night, he found himself transported back to a sunny afternoon on a high school softball field, where Emily had asked him for a foot massage...

-

The memory enveloped him, as if he had been transported back in time. He could feel the warmth of the sun on his skin and hear the distant laughter of his classmates. Emily approached him with a tired yet exhilarated smile on her face, her hair tousled from the game she had just played. It was clear she had given her all on the field.

"David, oh my God, I can barely walk after that game," Emily exclaimed, collapsing onto a nearby bench, and as she fell onto the bench her bare feet, covered in dirt and blades of grass, became visible. Her pink ASICS athletic shoes lay discarded by her side, being lazily flung to the floor. As David leaned closer, a sharp and tangy scent assaulted his senses. It was an overpowering aroma that he could almost taste in the air, a mix of sweat, a slight hint of lotion, and something indescribable that made his stomach churn.

"Would you mind giving me a foot massage?" Emily asked, her voice tinged with exhaustion. 

David's heart skipped a beat as he gazed at Emily's feet, conflicted by a mixture of attraction to Emily and repulsion to her currently filthy feet. 

“Are you serious? They’re covered in dirt, and they’re soaked! You really need to start wearing socks…” David scolded, staring at the gross appendages.

“Yeah, I know… please David, I’ll pay for food tonight if you do it. I’m begging, these cramps hurt so bad!” Emily pleaded, trying to appeal to David's kindness.

With a deep breath, he reluctantly obliged, knowing she wouldn’t let this go regardless, as well as being too poor to pass up free food. Not that he’d have an appetite after this…

He sat down beside Emily, trying to focus on the task at hand and ignore the aroma that filled the air. As his hands made contact with her damp, dirty skin, the scent seemed to intensify, invading his senses. It was as if the aroma had a taste, leaving a bitter residue on his tongue.

David worked to get the massage over with as quickly as possible. He kneaded the arches of Emily's feet, feeling the warmth and dampness beneath his palms. Each touch seemed to heighten the sharpness of the scent, making his stomach turn even more. He tried to ignore it, focusing on the mechanical movements of his hands.

Emily let out a contented sigh, seemingly oblivious to David's discomfort. "Oh, that feels amazing, David. You have magic hands," she said, her voice filled with gratitude and relief.

David forced a smile, though inwardly he felt a growing unease. He longed for the massage to be over, to escape the overpowering scent that seemed to permeate every breath he took. He continued to work on Emily's feet, trying to distract himself from the unpleasant sensations that lingered.

David continued the foot massage, his hands moving in repetitive motions, trying to maintain a sense of rhythm. As he worked on Emily's feet, the tension in her muscles slowly eased, and she let out occasional sighs of relief. The warmth of her skin beneath his touch became more familiar, and he focused on that sensation rather than the overpowering scent that still lingered in the air.

Time seemed to stretch as David struggled to keep his discomfort at bay. He reminded himself of the favor he was doing for Emily and shamefully also considered that this could get him a little further out of the friend-zone. Even despite his own motivations, he did want to provide her with some comfort and alleviate her pain.

Minutes turned into what felt like hours, but eventually, David reached a point where he couldn't prolong the massage any further. With a final squeeze on Emily's feet, he withdrew his hands and took a step back, regretfully wiping them on his pants to rid himself of the lingering dampness.

"Okay, Emily. I think that should help," David said, his voice filled with a mixture of relief and exhaustion. "You might want to clean up your feet before putting your shoes back on, though."

Emily looked down at her feet, the dirt and grass clinging to them, and chuckled. "You're right, they're a mess. Thanks again, David. I owe you big time." she said gratefully, briefly brushing her feet off and reaching down to slip her them back into her sneakers.

David managed a weak smile, still feeling a bit disoriented from the experience. "You're welcome, Emily. I'm glad I could help." He hoped his disgust wasn't apparent on his face.

With their encounter concluded, the two of them decided to head to a nearby café for some food, leaving the softball field behind…

-

“Why am I thinking about that now?” David muttered, looking at his hands and still feeling the wet-touch of Emily’s feet subconsciously.

The memory faded, leaving David in the present moment, the recollection of Emily’s vile feet a stark reminder of the challenges he had faced thus far with May and Chloe.

He knew he couldn’t handle another session, his body was already weary and he couldn’t imagine what was in store for him if the next girl would somehow be worse than Chloe.

"No more," David whispered, his voice filled with newfound resolve. "I won't be treated like a lab rat any longer."

With renewed strength, he pushed himself up from the floor and made his way to the box's end. He had endured enough, and he was determined to confront Caitlin and put an end to this experiment once and for all.

As David reached the wall of the box, fueled by a mix of frustration and determination, the sudden flick of a switch illuminated the room. Blinding fluorescent lights flooded the space, temporarily disorienting him. As his eyes adjusted, he squinted to focus on the figure standing before him—it was Caitlin, staring down at him with an eerie stillness..

Driven by desperation, David began pounding on the wall, his fists thudding against the unforgiving surface. "Caitlin! Let me out of here! This has gone too far!" he yelled, his voice filled with a mix of anger and fear.

But Caitlin paid no attention to his pleas. She merely stood there, a stoic expression on her face, seemingly unaffected by his frantic pounding and shouting. It was as if David's words fell upon deaf ears.

As David continued his futile attempt to get Caitlin's attention, he noticed movement behind her. She stepped aside, revealing a person standing just beyond her reach. His heart skipped a beat as his eyes focused on a familiar sight—pink ASICS sneakers...

End Notes:

A short interlude of a time long gone. It may be all too relevant now, with David's next challenge...

Chapter 5 by GothicPopsic
Author's Notes:

And so begins the final gauntlet...

"No, god no! EMILY, I’M HERE, PLEASE!" David screamed at the top of his lungs as he saw his best friend towering above him.

Emily, now significantly larger than before, had her auburn hair tied up in a ponytail, and her vibrant green eyes shone under the fluorescent lights of the room. The most striking feature, however, was the profuse sweat that drenched her entire body.

"Hey, Caitlin... sorry about... the sweat," Emily panted, trying to catch her breath. "I know it's what you wanted, but the floor might need a mop..."

Caitlin, with a pleasant smile, reassured Emily, "No worries, Emily. It's not a problem at all. Thank you for going the extra mile."

Emily wiped a glob of sweat off her forehead and explained, "It turned out to be a longer run than I expected. Almost three miles. It's usually not a big deal, but it's scorching outside."

Meanwhile, David continued to scream, hoping against hope that Emily would hear him. But the box he was trapped in was designed to prevent any communication, leaving him feeling utterly helpless.

Caitlin's assistant offered Emily some water, to which she gladly accepted. She chugged down the water, quenching her thirst.

"EMILY, PLEASE!" David's screams persisted, and surprisingly, someone heard him. However, it wasn't Emily who responded.

Caitlin gazed down at the box, observing her miniature subject. A mischievous grin crossed her face before she turned to Emily, composing herself.

"So, Emily, are you ready for the experiment to begin?" Caitlin inquired.

"Well, actually, Caitlin, I have a question before we start... if that's alright?" Emily replied, her expression tinged with concern.

"Sure, go ahead. We want you to be comfortable," Caitlin responded.

Emily hesitated for a moment before asking, "Um... where is David?"

Caitlin paused, taken aback by the question. "David Johnson, your friend? He has already finished his part of the experiment. Why do you ask?" she replied sweetly, but David seethed inside the box.

"I haven't heard from him in three days, and it's unusual for him not to reach out. He said he'd talk to me after he finished," Emily explained, worry creeping into her voice.

Caitlin fabricated a lie with a reassuring tone, "That's interesting. I can assure you he left our facility on the 6th perfectly fine. We'll reach out to him today to check on his well-being, just to give you peace of mind."

Emily appreciated the reassurance but remained concerned. "Thank you, Caitlin. I really hope he's doing alright..."

Caitlin replied with a smile, her gaze darting towards the box. "Of course, I share the same sentiment. David was a pleasure to work with."

Changing the mood in the room, Emily chirped, "Well, let's get this show on the road!"

"Absolutely! Please take a seat in front of this box," Caitlin instructed, gesturing towards the chair. Emily settled into the seat, towering over David.

David's voice had grown hoarse from screaming, and now his pleas came out as nothing more than a whisper. He stared up at his friend, now a giantess, unaware of the imminent torment awaiting him.

He noticed that Emily's clothes were soaked with sweat, and her entire exposed body glistened with perspiration. The realization hit him that whatever was trapped inside her shoes was going to be his downfall.

"Go ahead and untie your shoes, if you don't mind," Caitlin requested.

"Oh, okay... you guys might want to brace yourselves, though. It's pretty nasty," Emily nervously chuckled, reaching down to untie her laces.

"Don't worry, we're prepared for anything," Caitlin replied with a grin, exchanging a knowing glance with her assistant.

As Emily untied her shoes, a pungent aroma filled the air. David recoiled inside the box, finding the smell even more overpowering than he had imagined. Waves of nausea washed over him, but he forced himself to endure it.

With her shoes now untied, Emily hesitated, looking down at her bare feet. The smell emanating from them was unmistakable, and she felt a tinge of embarrassment.

"Alright, here we go..." Emily sighed, slipping her feet out of her shoes. The sweat-soaked soles and glistening toes came into view.

David was immediately knocked to the floor, overcome by dry heaving. The sharp, cheesy scent he recognized from his memory amplified tenfold, overpowering his senses. The sheer odor made his eyes water profusely, rendering his body incapacitated.

"Oof, that's... bad..." Emily cringed, covering her nose, while even Caitlin let out a slight cough.

"Yes, you've certainly provided quite a sample for us, Emily. Beyond exceptional," Caitlin praised, relishing in the torment David was enduring.

“Alright, well, I guess here goes nothing…” Emily sighed, before lifting her first foot up to lower into the box. As it neared the opening, David noticed something; the heat. It was scorching. As soon as the foot entered through the hole, he broke out into a flushed sweat.

As Emily lifted her foot, preparing to lower it into the box, David couldn't help but notice the intense heat radiating from her sole. The closer it came to the opening, the more he could feel the scorching temperature engulfing him. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead as his body reacted to the sudden rise in temperature.

With a deep breath, Emily began to lower her foot into the box. David watched in both awe and terror as her enormous sole eclipsed his entire field of vision. The heat intensified, and David's skin glistened with perspiration, both his and hers, unable to escape the suffocating environment within the box.

As Emily's foot made contact with the bottom of the box, the intense heat transferred to David's naked body. He could feel the searing warmth seep through his skin, causing his entire frame to tingle with discomfort. The confined space of the one-way enclosure amplified the temperature, leaving David feeling as though he was trapped in an inferno.

David's breathing grew labored as he struggled to acclimate to the unbearable heat. The limited air within the box felt heavy and stagnant, making it increasingly difficult for him to draw in each breath.

“GOD EMILY PLEASE STOP!” he cried out, barely making a sound as her foot settled into place next to him, sending a shockwave through the box that once more sent him on his knees. As he fell to the ground, his hands fell in something wet and sticky… sweat? Emily’s foot was so sweaty that a giant puddle was already forming in the box?

As David's trembling hands made contact with the wet and sticky substance, he realized that it was indeed sweat pooling in the box. The overpowering odor of Emily's foot sweat filled the air, assaulting his senses with an even stronger intensity than before.

Emily, oblivious to David's suffering, continued to lower her second foot into the box. The pungent stench intensified as her sweaty sole descended, mingling with the already suffocating aroma that enveloped David.

The moment Emily's second foot made contact with the floor of the box, David's senses were overwhelmed by the noxious combination of sweat and body odor. The foul smell invaded his nostrils, clinging to his every breath and making him gag.

He felt as if he were drowning in a sea of putrid sweat, his body drenched in the salty, repugnant liquid. The suffocating stench seeped into his pores, clinging to his skin and infusing his very being with its nauseating presence.

Unable to escape the stench, David's stomach churned, and waves of revulsion washed over him. The air in the box grew thick with the foul odor, making each breath an agonizing ordeal. Tears streamed down his face, mixing with the sweat that soaked his body, as he fought to endure the overwhelming nasal assault.

Caitlin, on the other hand, observed the scene with a perverse satisfaction. The torment inflicted upon David by Emily's perspiration seemed to delight her, fueling her sadistic curiosity. She relished in the power she held over the miniature David, reveling in the discomfort and suffering she had orchestrated.

“Excellent Emily. Our readings are phenomenal.” she called out as she stared at David’s vitals. “It’s almost sending him into cardiac arrest…” she murmured quietly to her assistant, who nodded with an apathetic gaze.

“I’m glad. It wasn’t easy, not washing my feet for a week was gross. I could barely handle walking…” Emily laughed.

David was desperate. He needed to do something to get her attention, or he’d die, right here, right now. A thought came to his mind.

“Maybe I can get Emily’s attention!” he realized. David summoned every ounce of strength and determination he had left and began crawling through the pool of sweat towards Emily's right foot. The mixture of sweat and water made it difficult for him to maintain his grip, but he persisted, fueled by the desperate need to catch Emily's attention.

Emily, still unaware of David's plight, continued to converse with Caitlin, discussing the experiment and the progress they were making. The room's atmosphere was filled with an air of excitement and anticipation, completely oblivious to the tiny figure struggling in the box.

As David inched closer to Emily's foot, he felt the overwhelming heat intensify. The combination of the suffocating odor and scorching temperature made his progress even more challenging. But he knew he had no other choice. He had to do whatever it took to save himself.

As he finally reached Emily’s foot, he grabbed on skin, hoping to elicit a reaction, but he realized one factor that would impede his progress; Emily’s feet were incredibly hardened and callused from years of not wearing socks. It was highly unlikely mere touch would be enough, but he had to try. David pounded on the pudgy flesh of Emily’s sole, screaming and thrashing at the slick surface, but achieving nothing.

“No good…” he muttered, immediately regretting opening his mouth as the tangy taste of salty air stung his tongue. He had to figure out what to do, and fast.

David, still clinging to Emily's foot, desperately searched for a way to make himself heard. He racked his brain for a solution, his mind racing with thoughts of how to catch Emily's attention amidst the overwhelming sensations surrounding him.

As David's desperation grew, he realized that he needed to resort to drastic measures to get Emily's attention. With trembling hands, he mustered his courage and sank his teeth into Emily's foot. The sudden pain elicited a reflexive response from Emily, causing her to shift her foot slightly. David gagged as the sweat coated his tongue, the cheesy taste lighting his neurons on fire.

Encouraged by the slight movement, David bit down again, this time harder, hoping to provoke a stronger reaction. Emily felt a sharp sensation on her foot but attributed it to a random itch. Unaware of the tiny figure beneath her, she absentmindedly brushed her foot against the ground, inadvertently lowering it on top of David.

Panic surged through David's veins as he found himself trapped beneath the weight of Emily's foot. The immense pressure bore down on his body, making it difficult for him to breathe.

David struggled against the weight, but it was futile. His feeble attempts to free himself from beneath Emily's foot only resulted in more pain. The combination of the unbearable heat, the noxious odor, and the pressure pressing down upon him threatened to break his already weakened spirit.

Meanwhile, Emily, still engaged in conversation with Caitlin, remained oblivious to the unfolding crisis beneath her. She felt a vague discomfort but dismissed it as a cramp from the intense workout she had just completed. “I wish David was here to rub them…” she absentmindedly thought.

Unaware that her actions had inadvertently endangered David's life, she continued to discuss the experiment, unaware of the tiny figure fighting for survival beneath her foot.

Caitlin, however, noticed Emily's slight foot movement and observed the distress on David's vital sign monitors. A sinister smile crept across her face as she realized the predicament David had found himself in. She decided to keep it a secret, relishing in the sadistic power she wielded over him.

David's breaths came in short, desperate gasps as he struggled to find a way out from beneath Emily's foot. The confined space left him with no room to maneuver, and the pressure continued to bear down on him relentlessly. He was suffocating, and if he didn’t find air soon, he’d die.

David used all of his remaining strength for one final push, and thanks to the slick sweat puddled beneath her foot, he was able to slip just his head through to a pocket of air, and took deep panicked gulps. He immediately coughed and sputtered as the most disgustingly salty and tangy taste invaded his mouth.

“Oh my god…” he thought, holding in a retch.

His head was stuck between her toes, and he’d just eaten a mouth full of week-old toejam…

End Notes:

Out of the frying pan, and into the fire. What will become of David in his newfound predicament?

Chapter 6 by GothicPopsic
Author's Notes:

Emily's participation in the experiment continues, leading to a precarious situation for David...

“So… any plans for the rest of the day, Emily?” Caitlin asked, trying to strike up conversation to ensure she didn’t find too much open amusement for David’s situational horror.

“Well, we have a home-game today. Not really looking forward to it, I pulled a muscle last practice and it’s still a little sore…” Emily responded, flexing her foot as she shifted the muscle around.

“I see. If I recall correctly, you play softball, am I right?’ Caitlin continued, reading her notes.

“Yeah, I’m a center-fielder. It’s a lot of running and it’s definitely not easy, but I love it. Kind of grounds me to have a sport, you know?” Emily replied, thinking fondly about her memories of growing up with softball.

“I’m slightly familiar, my sister used to play way back in the day. I must say… it intrigues me that you play sockless, as you mentioned in your intake form. Do you not get blisters, or even worse, athlete’s foot?” Caitlin inquired, genuinely curious of Emily’s foot condition.

“Well, on the blisters? I think my feet are just so calloused from doing this that they’re protected against them. I don’t really recall a time I've gotten one since high school.” Emily remarked, tapping her feet as she talked.

“As far as the athlete’s foot goes, I’ve never had it as far as I know, but it doesn’t stop people from thinking that with how bad they smell. My coach is practically begging me to throw these shoes away because of how it affects the girls in the locker room but… at this point they have to be lucky, right?” Emily giggled, looking fondly at her practically-destroyed ASICS.

“Yes, being brutally honest, your odor is by far the most potent of the three, and that’s saying something in comparison to our previous attendee. But it’s invaluable for our research, and we’ll make sure you’re well compensated.” Caitlin assured.

“Fine by me. What’s a little sweating for a good pay-day?” Emily laughed, Caitlin following suit as the two shared a friendly glance…

-

David couldn’t stop coughing and sputtering, desperately trying to get the putrid thick substance out of his mouth. The taste of Emily's week-old toejam lingered on his tongue, sending waves of disgust and nausea coursing through his body. He continued to retch, his stomach heaving as he fought to expel the repulsive flavor.

As he struggled to regain his composure, David realized the dire situation he was in. He was trapped beneath Emily's foot, suffocating in the oppressive heat and overwhelming stench of her sweat. Every breath he took was tainted by the noxious fumes, making him gag even more.

He’d been trapped underneath her foot’s ball for what felt like hours, and every breath was filtered between her big and second toes. It only got worse when she started to flex her foot, forcing all of the air out of his lungs as it pressed down harshly, his body the barrier against the floor of the box.

Every release of her foot’s pressure incurred a new, involuntary deep breath in, which forced more of the acrid jam, as well as the tainted air, deep within David. He would plead for release, if it wouldn't make things that much worse.

Finally, Emily’s foot lifted off of David, granting him momentary reprieve as he hoped this spelled the end of her portion of the experiment, sparing him from continuing torture.

Unfortunately, the foot wasn’t leaving.

*SLAM*

David groaned in pain, as the foot rapidly slammed down with impossible force onto his midsection.

*SLAM*

He winced, once more feeling his insides shift as the immeasurable pressure bored down upon him.

*SLAM*

“WHAT IS SHE DOING?!” he screamed, once again feeling his body flatten under the colossal foot…

-

Emily started idly tapping her feet, growing bored with the monotony of the experiment. Her thoughts wandered to the excitement of the later game she’d be playing, hoping she could prove her mettle against the rival team, the Brentworth Tigers, from the neighboring town. She was eager to showcase her skills as a center-fielder and contribute to her team's victory.

Unaware of the hellish torture she was inflicting on her best friend, she continued to tap her foot, starting to tap to the rhythm of the song-of-the-week playing within her head. She could feel the layer of sweat cause her foot to slide slickly against the metal box with each tap, and internally cringed at the sensation.

“Alright, I think we can conclude the experiment now, Emily.” Caitlin sighed, noting David’s elevated sensor readings. She didn’t end the experiment for any reason of pity towards the tiny man, no, she simply had gotten the data she needed, and was eager to begin diving into it.

“Phew. Thank god, I was getting a little queasy breathing all that stink in…” Emily awkwardly laughed, starting to lift her clammy feet out of the box.

“Here are your shoes.” Caitlin’s assistant said, handing Emily her pink ASICS, slightly turning away from the horrendous odor emitting from them.

“Thanks.” Emily responded, hooking her fingers into the back of the shoes and lowering them down to the ground as she fully lifted her feet out of the box and into the open, cool air.

 As she held her pink ASICS in her hands, she noticed the evidence of her intense workout clinging to the fabric. The once vibrant color of the shoes insole was now dulled, dampened by the sweat that had accumulated during her years of owning them.

She extended one foot forward, its skin glistening with a thin layer of perspiration. The sensation of cool air against her damp sole sent a shiver up her spine. With delicate precision, she slipped her toes into the waiting shoe, feeling the fabric embrace her foot snugly.

As she lowered her foot into the shoe, the sole made contact with the slightly moist insole, causing a soft squelching sound. The combination of sweat and moisture created a slippery surface, and Emily's foot slid smoothly into place, settling comfortably within the confines of the shoe.

She repeated the process with her other foot, relishing the familiar ritual of preparing for her game. Her second foot slid effortlessly into the waiting shoe, the moist warmth of her skin finding solace in the coolness of the material.

Once both shoes were securely on her feet, Emily proceeded to tie the laces, her fingers deftly maneuvering through the loops. The knot tightened with a gentle tug, ensuring a secure fit that would withstand the trip back to the locker room.

She stood up, wiggling her feet within the shoes and making sure they were a good fit, lifting her feet and tapping the toes of her shoes on the ground as a final test.

“Alright, thanks so much for having me!” Emily chirped, shaking Caitlin’s outreached hand. If she was a little more observant, she’d have noticed a slight look of disdain on Caitlin's face as the sweaty hand made contact with her immaculate skin.

"Thank you for your participation, Emily," Caitlin replied with a forced smile, quickly retracting her hand after the brief handshake. She discreetly wiped her hand on her clothing, trying to rid herself of the lingering moisture left behind by Emily's sweaty palm.

"It was a pleasure having you here. We'll be in touch with the results of the experiment soon, and my assistant here will guide you to the main desk to receive your payment" Caitlin continued, her voice betraying a hint of impatience to conclude the encounter. She motioned for her assistant to escort Emily out of the room, eager to move on to the analysis and interpretation of the data they had collected.

Emily, oblivious to Caitlin's subtle aversion, smiled warmly and waved goodbye before following the assistant out of the room. She walked down the hallway, her shoes softly padding against the linoleum floor, the rhythmic sound echoing in the empty corridor.

As she made her way towards the exit, Emily's mind was still consumed by thoughts of the upcoming softball game, as well as all the food she’d buy with the money she was about to receive.

-

Caitlin sighed, glad to be able to drop the mask she put on when working with her volunteers.

“Finally, all the data has been collected. Well done everyone. Now, if you would, I’d like to be alone as I debrief the subject.” she announced, watching as her researchers nodded and followed the instructions one by one, until the room was empty.

Caitlin stood alone in the now empty room, the silence providing a welcome respite from the demanding experiment. She took a deep breath, her mind buzzing with a mix of anticipation and a tinge of unease. With the researchers gone, she had the opportunity to reflect on the experiment and delve into its implications.

Leaning against a nearby table, Caitlin cleared her throat and began her debriefing speech, addressing the invisible audience that lingered in her imagination, as well as David. Her voice filled the room, resonating with a blend of authority and intellectual curiosity.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have just completed a remarkable experiment. Through our careful planning, meticulous execution, and the dedication of our subject, David, we have gathered an extraordinary set of data. The physiological responses and vital readings we have captured offer invaluable insights into the effects of extended exposure to intense foot odor and sweat."

She paused, trying to find the words that fit her continuing monologue.

"We have witnessed the human body's remarkable adaptability to extreme conditions, the strain it can endure, and the remarkable resilience it can display. The sweat-soaked environment within the box, the suffocating heat, and the overpowering stench created an unimaginable sensory experience, pushing the boundaries of human endurance." she continued, pacing back and forth as she spoke with glee.

Caitlin's eyes flickered toward the monitor displaying the vitals. To her surprise, the readings were still peaking, indicating an unexpected anomaly. A furrow formed on her brow as she approached the monitor, scrutinizing the data.

As she analyzed the vitals, Caitlin's gaze drifted towards the box that had contained Emily's feet during the experiment. Her eyes widened in alarm when she realized that David was no longer inside.

“Oh.” she mouthed, realizing immediately what had occurred. A slight smirk overtook her face, and she turned to the monitor displaying the readings…

End Notes:

David has gone missing. Where could he possibly be?

Chapter 7 by GothicPopsic
Author's Notes:

Emily continues on towards her dorm, determined to make it on schedule to her game...

Emily walked briskly, actually starting to enjoy the summer heat as her ponytail swung around. A light sweat had formed on her entire body, a result of the scorching sun beating down on her rosy skin.

She continued walking down the bustling streets of her town, having a simple goal in mind; make it back home in time to grab her things, then head down to the locker room to get changed for the upcoming game. Speaking of, what time was that again?

“Shit!” Emily cursed, checking the time on her phone. She was going to be late!

“Not if I book it!” she muttered, picking up her pace and breaking out into a steady jog, her feet pounding the pavement in her beaten-up ASICS as she felt the wind break across her body…

-

“EMILY!” David called out, catching another mouthful of salty sweat as he screamed his friend's name at the top of his lungs, the sound quickly dissipating into the scorching chamber. Emily’s foot-skin was soaking wet, slapping and sliding against his body with each step. His brain was rattled by the impact, and his sense of direction was skewed as each lift and slam tossed him around.

The smell was downright horrific, the ripe, cheesy odor leaking out from the soaked insole and damp appendage burning a hole into his nose as each sharp breath threatened to choke him. He was helpless, trapped deep within her nasty shoe.

It happened so fast; one minute he was pinned under her tapping foot, getting beaten to all hell by its repeated slams, then within an instant it lifted, but the sticky dried sweat adhered him to the rough skin of her fetid foot, causing him to soar into the air. He was afraid of heights, but at least in some twisted sense of kindness from the gods above, he couldn’t even observe his rapidly rising surroundings, as his face was wedged tight between her clenched toes. All he could observe was Emily’s innocent face, as he was dragged to an obvious destination.

He heard what was discussed between the two, and he wasn’t an idiot; Emily was about to put her shoe back on, and he clearly was along for the ride.

“CAITLIN! CAITLIN!” he screamed, hoping that for once, the morally questionable researcher would gain some semblance of care for him in this vulnerable state, but it was clear his pleas were falling on deaf ears, as the monitoring tools were inside the chamber, not on his person. All she could see were his vitals, so unless she noticed the continuing spike despite the removal of Emily’s feet in time, he wasn’t being saved.

As if with intentional timing, the universe confirmed this to him, as he began to feel an oppressive, humid heat rise among him; not only that, but a familiar stench, only dialed to 11, filled his nose.

“NO! NO NO NO!” he yelled, realizing Emily was already lowering her foot into her shoe, with him in tow. He pleaded and screamed at the top of his lungs, but it was for nought, as within moments his view was suddenly encompassed by the once-pink interior of the nearly-dead ASICS sneaker. In the instant his body entered the shoe, a blaring heat blew across his face, accompanied by perhaps the worst, most pungent, sickly sweet smell he’d ever had forced into his nose.

It was as if the air was liquid, the saturation of humidity and stench slapping David across his face as he was plunged deep into the shoe alongside Emily’s slick toes, brought all the way into the breeding ground for the horrific odor that clung to her feet. The accumulated sweat, dead skin cells, and bacteria thrived in the dark, damp environment, creating a breeding ground for an otherworldly stench. It seeped into every crevice, invading David's lungs with each breath and threatening to suffocate him despite the abundance of available air.

David’s eyes had long been watering, but now it was because he couldn’t help but weep in reaction to the pure suffering inflicted upon him. “Please Emily… please!” he pleaded, as his naked body hit the bottom of the shoe, the insole pouring out soupy liquid with each impact against the oversaturated surface.

Eventually, the dragging stopped, and with a sudden halt, Emily’s foot settled, resting upon David as her toes ceased their activity, giving a final squeeze upon David’s body as they found their comfortable spots, forcing an ooze of toejam to squeeze out onto his awaiting face. He couldn’t help but scream as it covered his mouth and nose, the only way to avoid suffocation in its wake being to swallow it with disgust and shame.

David’s body trembled with revulsion, his entire world being consumed by Emily’s feet in every way possible. He only hoped that maybe, just maybe, she’d step in the right way, crushing his tiny body and putting him out of his misery.

In a way, his wish was granted, but only in the fact that she began to step, sending the shoe soaring up into the air, bringing David along with it as the world began to spin.

*SLAM*

Emily’s foot hit the ground with intense pressure, forcing gallons of sickly sweet, vinegary sweat out from the insole. David was instantly dunked under its water line, causing him to instinctively gasp for air, catching a mouthful before being brought back out of the fluid as the foot lifted once more.

*SLAM*

Emily's foot crashed against the ground again and again, each impact rattling David's fragile body. The soupy concoction within the shoe sloshed violently, drenching him in a putrid mixture of sweat, dirt, and decaying skin cells. It filled his nostrils, his mouth, and his throat, suffocating him with its repulsive viscosity.

*SLAM*

The cycle continued, leaving David feeling broken and defeated as the simple motions of Emily’s walking was enough to torture him more than he’d ever been.

*SLAM*

“This can’t get any worse…” he thought, being proved wrong immediately as Emily clearly had stepped out into the summer heat, a new film of perspiration forming on her foot, and the heat in the shoe increased tenfold.

*SLAM*

“EMILY, FOR FUCKS SAKE!” he cursed, his skin growing raw from the hardened calluses and frayed insole rubbing against his bare skin.

Suddenly, the shoe stopped its motion.

“What is she doing?” David pondered, before hearing Emily’s faint voice…

“Not if I book it!” she called out, making David’s heart drop. He didn’t even have time to grieve his impending doom, before the shoe lifted and slammed within an instant, beginning a tortuous cycle as Emily broke out into a jog…

-

Emily panted, keeping pace as she continued her jog with one goal in mind - making it back to her dorm in time to grab her things and head to the locker room. Her feet continued to pound against the pavement, propelling her forward with great determination as she passed pedestrians with haste.

Many of them looked at the perspiring athlete with intrigue, as she glistened with sweat and her ponytail bounced behind her with each hard step against the pavement. None of them had any clue that she had a tiny prisoner fighting for his life within her damp, fetid shoe.

The sun continued to beat down on Emily, intensifying the already suffocating heat of the summer day. Drops of sweat formed rivulets on her forehead, trickling down her temples and mingling with the moisture that clung to her hair. 

The saltiness of her sweat became more pronounced with each passing moment, coating her skin and mingling with the natural oils of her body. It formed a glistening sheen on her exposed arms and legs, adding a slickness to her movements. Emily's breaths grew heavier, intermingling with the rhythm of her footfalls as she maintained a steady pace.

Her nose wrinkled as she began to catch a whiff of her own sweat. “Ew.” she grumbled, as she smelled its tangy, almost sickly sweet aroma, a mix of her deodorant and the intense odor wafting not only from her body, but all the way down in her shoes, her unwashed feet unable to be fully contained by the material.

As Emily continued her jog, the combination of the heat and her exertion caused her body to release even more sweat. It pooled in the crevices between her toes, sloshing around with each heavy step. For that matter, her feet were boiling in her confining footwear, and she couldn’t wait to take them off and finally wash her feet after the game finished. “Only a few more hours…” she mumbled, as she began to slow her pace, her dorm coming into view.

Reaching her building's door, Emily's heart raced with a mix of anticipation and fatigue. She could feel the dampness within her shoes, the clammy sensation as her feet slid against the moist insoles. The odor emanating from her feet intensified, their exertion creating an almost rancid fragrance that assailed her senses.

With a sigh of relief, Emily pushed open the door and stepped into the cool, air-conditioned lobby of her dormitory. The contrast in temperature brought a momentary respite from the heat that had enveloped her during her jog. She couldn't help but wiggle her toes inside her shoes, feeling the slight squelching sensation as they shifted in the dampness.

She huffed and puffed as she continued up the stairs, checking her phone and cursing under her breath as she knew there wasn’t any time to stop and take a break. Her legs protested with every step, muscles aching and limbs heavy with fatigue.

Finally reaching her room, Emily fumbled with her keys, her trembling fingers struggling to find the right one. With a sigh of relief, she unlocked the door and stepped inside, momentarily shutting out the world outside. The coolness of the room embraced her, providing a much-needed respite from the sweltering heat.

“Phew. Abby isn’t here.” she sighed with relief, knowing she’d catch an earful for sweating all over the dorm if she was around.

She quickly grabbed her gym bag and tossed in the necessary items, her mind racing with a sense of urgency. Time was slipping away, and she couldn't afford to waste a second. With a final glance around the room, she turned and headed out, closing the door behind her.

The journey to the locker room was a blur of motion and noise. Emily's thoughts were consumed by the upcoming game, her focus honed on the task at hand. She weaved through the crowded hallways, dodging fellow students and staff with ease as she rapidly exchanged apologies for her blunt movements.

Emily's heart pounded in her chest as she finally arrived at the locker room, pushing the door open with an exhausted groan. The familiar scent of sweat and anticipation filled the air, mingling with the sound of laughter and excited chatter, as she stepped into the bustling atmosphere that greeted her like a second home.

She lazily flung herself on to an open bench, wasting no time as she untied the laces on her sweltering shoes. She hooked her finger into the back, then released her damp foot with a sickening pop. The relief was instant as her foot was exposed to the open air, the wind sliding between her toes and rapidly cooling her foot down. But just as fast, its vile stench was thrown out into the room, making even Emily herself gag.

“EMILY!” the athletes in the room called out in disgusted groans, knowing all too well the familiar odor that was invading their nose…

End Notes:

An invisible battle for survival is going on within Emily's footwear. Will David manage to avoid being subjected to Emily's laborious softball game?

Chapter 8 by GothicPopsic
Author's Notes:

David gets a front-shoe seat to Emily's softball performance...

David coughed and sputtered as lungfuls of sweat left his body, the appendage that had become his oppressor having lifted out of the shoe. At this point, the cool chill of the open air stung his skin, the sheen of boiling hot sweat quickly evaporating off of him. His bones felt sore, having been mashed into the unforgiving insole of the shoes that should’ve been thrown out years ago.

He slowly rose to his feet, forcing a sickening ooze of sweat to seep out from beneath his feet. As he got secure footing, he looked out into the locker room. An involuntary look away overtook him, as he got an eyeful of girls removing their tops and changing into their softball attire. One of those was Emily.

“Wait…” he thought to himself, as he couldn’t help but allow his eyes to shift back to her; yes, even in this perilous situation, our hero was subject to the terrible condition of being a man.

In all honesty, she was a goddess. Her body was perfectly toned, her stomach occupied by a soft outline of a six pack, while her now freed chest was glistening in the fluorescent lighting, a bust of olympic design. Her sweat-soaked hair hung down her shoulders, the ponytail frayed and loose, and from David’s view, her legs rose above him like skyscrapers, not a single sign of imperfection across her entire body.

As David continued to ogle, he realized the situation he was in. Emily was going to put the shoe back on, that was inevitable. The question was, what could he do about it? Realistically, climbing out of the shoe was impossible. Even if he could get a foothold on the walls, he was far too worn down to attempt a climb. In all regards, he was fucked, doomed to once more be worn alongside the shoe, attached to the ghastly-smelling (and tasting) appendage…

-

“So… Emily… you ready for the game- woah, how are you already this sweaty?” Emily’s friend and fellow player Courtney asked her as she began to remove her own clothing.

“Yeah, I had a thing… a clinical trial or whatever, went a little late so I had to jet over here.” Emily responded, pulling off her shorts with a sickening plop as the waterlogged attire made contact with the ground.

“Clinical trial?” Courtney inquired with curiosity, slowly pulling on her jersey.

“Get this, they paid me because my feet stink. I had to prep and make them all nasty beforehand which sucked, but your girl is several hundred dollars richer!” Emily laughed, sliding her legs into her pants.

“I didn’t want to say anything, but yeah holy shit it reeks!” Courtney returned a laugh, pinching at her nose with her free hand as she too slid her own pants on.

“I know, I know, trust me I’m dying to shower and be free of it myself.” Emily replied, settling her uniform into place as she got all the pieces on.

“Surprised Coach still lets you play with those old things, you gonna get rid of them soon?” Courtney exclaimed, pointing towards Emily’s Asics.

“Well, at first she was super against it and made me get the same ones for uniform, but I played a lot worse without them. I like to say they’re lucky. I’ll let them get rid of themselves whenever it’s time.” Emily explained fondly, understanding it wasn’t typical for a college softball player to be wearing shoes out of uniform.

“Hey, if it works it works. I used to do the lucky-socks thing back in high-school, but my mom eventually threw them out. I don’t blame her in all honesty, they were rock-solid after a while!” Courtney laughed, slipping her blue cleats on and bouncing in place to make sure the fit was secure.

“I’d say that’s gross, but I can’t judge, these babies are older than a toddler…” Emily giggled, sitting down on the bench to put the final piece on; her shoes.

She grabbed the heel of the right shoe, lifting her foot towards it, holding it in place as the toes of her foot started to lower into the gaping maw of the footwear. With a slight sigh, she slid her foot in further, until she felt it hit the toe-section. She lowered her heel down, until a slight sensation of suction indicated her foot was fully in the shoe. She leaned down further to tie her laces, looping them around and pulling tight until she was sure the fit was snug.

“There ya go.” she mumbled to herself, eventually standing up and following Courtney’s ritual of bouncing in place, feeling the shoes stay tight onto her feet, ready for the game.

“Let’s do this.” Emily said to Courtney, tapping her teammate on the shoulder as the two made their way to the field…

-

David groaned as he once again found himself beneath a giant foot. This time, Emily’s toes quickly overcame him, pinning him longways beneath him so that his head was between her first and second toes, and his lower body stayed trapped beneath her others.

Movement was impossible, as he remained pinned beneath the toes as they lifted and slammed back down repeatedly, Emily clearly having broken out into a light jog as she continued towards the field…

-

The game finally began, and Emily had fully engaged with the task of being an active center-fielder, taking her position and being prepared to catch any potential hits that came her way. She could feel the grass giving under her shoes, the material thin enough to allow her to feel the cool sensation of the slightly dewy flora, a relief against the sweltering interior of the ruined footwear. She shifted her feet, enjoying the sensation as she awaited the first pitch.

The pitcher wound up, and Emily watched diligently as she awaited the inevitable crack of the bat. She focused on clearing her mind of any distractions. “I hope David’s okay…” she thought, nervously tapping her toes as she tried to force it out of her mind. “He would want me to give it my all.” she reasoned, shaking away the unease and immersing herself into the mindset.

Suddenly, a loud crack reverberated throughout the field. Emily quickly ascertained the direction of the ball, and began to break into a sprint…

-

David's perspective during the events in Emily's shoe was nothing short of a nightmare. From the moment he was trapped under Emily's foot, he felt the world spin around him as he was mercilessly dragged along the rough skin of her foot. The oppressive smell of her sweaty, cheesy feet invaded his senses, making each breath a struggle.

He screamed and pleaded for help, but his voice was drowned out by the chaotic noise of Emily's footsteps and the stifling environment of the shoe. The smell intensified as Emily's foot settled on him, squeezing him between her toes. The toejam oozed out, covering his face and making him gag in revulsion.

David's misery persisted as Emily played the softball game. With each movement she made on the field, her shoes pressed and rubbed against him, making him wince with pain. The heat, sweat, and stench inside the shoe remained constant, amplifying his suffering with each passing minute.

As she sprinted across the field, her feet pounded against the insole, jostling him around and making him feel like a ragdoll. Each impact sent shockwaves of pain through his body, and he clung desperately to the fabric of the shoe to avoid being tossed around too much.

The constant movement and pressure from Emily's feet were unbearable. He could feel her toes curl and flex with every step, sometimes squeezing him tightly and other times releasing the pressure, only to repeat the process. The sweat inside the shoe soaked him to the bone, and he felt like he was drowning in the putrid mixture of bodily fluids.

Emily's feet seemed to be in constant motion, sliding and shifting within the confines of the shoe. David had no control over his position, and he was forced to endure the suffocating environment, praying for the game to end.

The noise from the game and the cheers of the crowd were muffled by the shoe's thick material, making David feel even more isolated and trapped. He couldn't see anything beyond the darkness of the shoe, and his senses were overwhelmed by the intense heat, smell, and pressure surrounding him.

As Emily made sharp turns and sudden stops during the game, David was tossed and jolted around, his body colliding with the walls of the shoe. Each impact left him bruised and sore, and he could only wonder how much more he could endure…

-

Emily's breaths came in ragged gasps as she raced across the outfield, tracking down the softball that sailed through the air. The game had entered its later stages, and the tension on the field was palpable. Her teammates relied on her as the center-fielder to make critical plays, and she was determined not to disappoint them.

With each stride, her feet pounded against the ground, the familiar sensation of her old ASICS shoes hugging her feet tightly. She could feel something bouncing around in them, some kind of pebble or something, and it was awfully distracting…

"Focus, Emily!" she reminded herself, shaking off any distractions. The game was too important to be preoccupied with thoughts about her shoes or anything else. She kept her eyes locked on the ball, her heart pounding in anticipation.

The softball soared through the sky, hurtling towards the outfield. Emily sprinted towards it, her eyes never leaving its trajectory. In that moment, nothing else mattered – not the heat, not the sweat, not the rock in her shoe.

She dove forward, stretching her arm as far as she could, and with a satisfying thud, the ball landed securely in her glove. Cheers erupted from her teammates and the spectators, and Emily felt a surge of pride and relief. It was a crucial catch that could make all the difference in the game.

As the inning came to an end, Emily jogged back to the dugout, her breath still heavy but her spirits lifted by the successful play. Taking a moment to catch her breath, Emily glanced down at her trusty shoes. They were slightly scuffed and stained from years of use, but she couldn't help but smile. They had been through so much together – countless practices, games, and now, even a clinical trial.

“Last inning girls, make it count!” her coach shouted, signaling to Emily that it was time to return to the field.

Emily took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves. The game was tied, and it all came down to this last inning. She knew she needed to give it her all, to make every play count, and to trust in herself and her teammates.

Emily stepped back onto the field, feeling a mix of excitement and trepidation. Her heart pounded in her chest as she took her position in center field, her eyes scanning the field for any signs of movement. The crowd's cheers and the coach's encouragement echoed in her ears, pushing her to focus on the task at hand.

As the first batter stepped up to the plate, Emily crouched down, ready to react to any hit that came her way. Her shoes felt a bit loose now, the constant pounding during the game had probably loosened the laces. She wanted to fix it, but for now, she had to stay focused…

-

David's nightmare continued as he found himself trapped inside Emily's shoe, crushed and contorted like a mere pebble. The oppressive heat and pungent stench assaulted his senses, making it difficult to breathe. He felt each footfall as Emily raced across the field, her foot slamming into the ground with each step, and he was tossed around inside the confines of her shoe.

It was pure torment, as he struggled to find some semblance of comfort in the cramped and humid space. The sweat-soaked insole rubbed against his skin, causing chafing and discomfort. He tried to call out for help, but his voice was drowned out by the noise of the game and the relentless pounding of Emily's feet.

He felt like he was being crushed under the weight of her foot, and the pressure on his tiny body was unbearable. The smell of her rancid feet filled the limited air within the shoe, making him gag with revulsion.

As Emily made a crucial catch, the impact sent shockwaves through the shoe, jostling David even more. He felt like he was being tossed around in a violent storm, with no escape in sight. The sweat sloshed around him, and he could do nothing but endure the relentless torture.

Each passing moment felt like an eternity, and David lost track of time as he struggled to survive in the suffocating darkness. He longed for the game to end, for Emily to take off her shoes and set him free…

-

Emily's focus intensified. She could feel the fatigue in her muscles, but she pushed it aside, determined to give her all until the very end. The score was tied, and every play counted.

With each pitch and every hit, Emily's heart raced. She moved swiftly across the outfield, her trusty old shoes supporting her with every stride. She couldn't shake the feeling that something was off inside her right shoe, but the game demanded her full attention, and she couldn't afford to be distracted.

As the final moments of the game approached, the tension in the air was palpable. Emily's team managed to score a run, putting them in the lead by a single point. But the opposing team was not backing down; they were determined to turn the tables.

With a fierce determination, Emily tracked down a deep fly ball, making yet another crucial catch. Her heart pounded in her chest as the cheers from her teammates and supporters echoed around her. The pressure was intense, but she thrived in these high-stakes moments.

The final out came down to a close call at first base. The runner sprinted towards the bag, and Emily's teammate at first base stretched out to make the play. The umpire's voice boomed across the field as he called the runner out, ending the game in a nail-biting victory for Emily's team.

Exhilaration surged through Emily's veins as her teammates rushed towards her, celebrating the hard-fought win. The cheers and high-fives filled the air, and Emily couldn't help but smile. It was a well-earned victory, and she was proud of her team's effort.

Now it was time to return to the locker room, and check out whatever was bothering her foot all game…

-

David heaved with great strain as he struggled to breath within the rapidly diminishing oxygen supply remaining within the shoe. He’d long since abandoned any care of avoiding the toejam pouring into his mouth, unavoidable if he still wanted to breathe.

He was beyond sore, and knew if the game kept going, he wouldn’t. He could only hope the cheering sounds he heard meant the game was over, as the shoe continued to rise and fall with sickening velocity…

-

As the team made their way back to the locker room, Emily's mind was still filled with a mix of elation from the victory and curiosity about the strange sensation in her right shoe. The adrenaline from the game began to subside, allowing her to focus more on the discomfort that had nagged her throughout the match.

"Hey, great game, Emily! You really saved us out there!" Courtney exclaimed, giving Emily a high-five as they walked together.

"Thanks, Courtney! You played amazing too!" Emily replied, genuinely proud of her friend's performance.

As they entered the locker room, Emily couldn't wait to take off her sweaty uniform and finally address the issue with her shoe. She quickly slipped off her jersey, sitting down and looking down at the old ASICS that had been with her through so much.

"What's going on with this pebble?" Emily mumbled to herself. She turned the shoe upside down and gave it a little shake. Nothing came out. She smacked the back of the shoe, and a small, beige looking object came out.

“What is…” she mumbled, looking closer at it...

-

David winced in pain as he went from choking on sweat in the harsh confines of the overworn shoe, to falling onto a solid plane with no give for his impact, causing him to land harshly on his arm, hearing an instant snap.

“FUCK!” he screamed, rolling around the floor in extreme pain as his arm bent in an awkward angle. He looked through teared eyes at his giant best friend, who seemed to finally be aware of his presence. She was staring right at him, pulling her ponytail to the side as her eyes squinted, trying to get a better view of his miniscule form.

“Please… Emily… help…” David begged, growing weary from shock.

Within moments, a shadow appeared over him, causing him to look to the source.

“WAIT!” he yelled with a hoarse voice, his heart dropping out of his chest as he observed an object rapidly heading his way…

-

“Is that…” Emily began, noticing a familiar face in the miniscule object, making her think she was crazy.

“David?” she muttered in disbelief.

Suddenly, a blue cleat appeared with a rapid slam, pressing down hard into whatever fell out of Emily’s shoe as the shoe twisted in place violently.

“Jeez Em, you had a bug in your shoe? Maybe you SHOULD chuck those things out…” Courtney laughed, slamming her foot down in place a few more times to make sure the bug was dead.

“Oh, it was a bug?” Emily asked with blinking eyes, continuing to view Courtney's merciless execution.

“Yeah. At least, it was wiggling around after you shook it out of your shoe. You’re lucky I was paying attention. God, I hate bugs…” Courtney shuddered as she ground her foot back and forth.

Emily nervously giggled, watching as her friend showed the bug no mercy… she paused for a moment. She didn’t really see David… did she?

End Notes:

That "bug" is probably squished by now... right?

Ending 1: Part 1 by GothicPopsic
Author's Notes:

People wanted cruel! I feel like this meets that description... and then some...

“Lily, come here please!” Caitlin ordered, calling out into the open hallway. Within moments, the meek researcher made her way into the room, eagerly awaiting Caitlin’s words.

“Lily, we have a problem. The subject has been carried away, likely within the shoe of the third volunteer, Emily Smith. This was valuable for a unique subset of data, but now it’s grown out of control. The subject's vitals peaked heavily for a sustained period of time. What I imagine happened, was that he was inside Emily's shoe for her softball game…” Caitlin explained.

“Oh dear.” Lily gasped, covering her mouth.

“No, this is actually extremely valuable data. He survived this ordeal, at least as far as I can tell. This exceeds the requirements we planned for physical load in the grafting tests. However; his vitals lowered severely after a sudden, extremely high peak. I estimate he’s either perished, or close to it. This leaves us with a dilemma; we either have to recover the evidence, or destroy it. I estimate we have… twenty minutes to retrieve the specimen, before terminal condition is likely. His resistance to damage and innate healing will only take him so far. Deploy the field teams, I’ll make some calls to ensure they are unimpeded, and I’ll join them once preparations are complete.” Caitlin continued, pulling her phone out of her pocket.

“Yes ma’am. Right away.” Lily stated, about to leave the room, before Caitlin stopped her.

“And, Lily?” Caitlin began.

“Yes ma’am?” Lily asked, turning back around.

“If the subject is found by someone other than us, for example, Emily Smith, we’re going to bring them back here alongside the subject. Make sure the team is advised to prepare countermeasures for this contingency. It’s imperative that we control the narrative, or our mission is at risk…” Caitlin warned, a dark tone in her voice.

“Y… yes ma’am…” Lily affirmed, before breaking out into a light jog as she made her way to the research lab.

Caitlin pinched her brow, annoyed with the situation. “I didn’t think we’d have to move to the next stage so soon, but to waste David Johnson would be a terrible mistake…” she muttered, dialing a number on her phone, then held it up to her ear.

“Hello, this is Caitlin. We’ve had a breach of containment. Medical teams are likely required. Do I have authorization to enact the necessary measures required to regain control of the situation? I fear we may have to attempt to utilize the grafting procedure if our subject is to remain living…” she asked.

The voice on the other line spoke for a time, with Caitlin intently listening.

Suddenly, a smile broke out onto her face.

“Thank you ma’am. I’ll do my best.” she finalized, before hanging up the phone.

“Alright, let’s get to it.” she sighed, heading to the control room and placing on a headset, opening up the lab intercom channel.

“Attention, everyone. Mission is a burn, I repeat, mission is a burn. Begin destruction of evidence, and prepare research data for transfer to the main branch.” Caitlin commanded, closing the channel.

She laid back in her chair. “The second burn in two months… maybe this one will live this time…” she sighed, turning to the rapidly depleting vitals displayed on the screen in front of her…

-

“I’m worried about David…” Emily sighed, venting to Courtney as the blonde finished stepping on the bug.

“Why are you saying that? Did something happen?” Courtney asked, pulling her foot back and walking back to her bag. Emily avoided looking at the bug’s remains, being far too squeamish to see the viscera.

“Well, he’s been missing since he took his turn at the trial. At least, he hasn’t talked to me, which is weird…” she explained.

“Because he loves you?” Courtney laughed.

“Shut up! We’re just friends, it’s not like that!” Emily blushed, looking away from Courtney.

“C’mon, you two are my OTP. I’ve been pushing for it since we first hung out all together. He’ll make a move soon enough…” Courtney teased, nudging the still beet-red brunette.

“Alright, I like him. But don’t say anything to him, if something between us happens… I’d want it to be natural…” Emily admitted, still struggling to look at Courtney.

“That’s fair. I’m just teasing you. Anyway, I hope he does show up. Maybe he’s just under the weather?” Courtney offered, hoping to ease her friend's mind.

“Maybe…” Emily responded, a forlorn expression taking over.

“Anyway, I’m gonna head out. See ya girl!” Courtney said with a heave as she threw her bag over her shoulder, waving to Emily as she left the locker room.

Now, Emily remained as the only one left in the room, and she leaned forward, putting her face in her hands.

Suddenly, a high-pitched noise caught her attention. She looked around, wondering if she was incorrect to assume she was alone. But as far as she could tell, she was.

The noise reached her ears again.

“What is that…” she murmured, trying to find its direction. It was… down?

She looked to the ground, seeing nothing but the growing red pool of blood left behind by the squashed bug. “Oh… poor thing…” she said with compassion.

“Wait… is it still alive?” she mumbled, looking closer. “Oh my god… David?!” she gasped, rapidly leaning down to the ground to observe the twitching figure. Just as she reached the floor, a loud slam reverberated through the room.

“Stay where you are! Do NOT move!” a voice shouted, causing Emily to turn her head and look at the source.

“C… Caitlin?” she exclaimed, tears rolling down her face. “Why is David so small! Why is he here! Tell me what’s going on!” she begged, growing hysterical.

“Tranq her!” Caitlin ordered. Before Emily could react, a dart struck her neck, and she quickly grew tired, falling heavily to the linoleum floor.

“Grab the subject, and the volunteer. Take them back to the facility, and prepare the subject for bodily graft.” she continued, watching as a researcher gently scooped David up with a pair of tweezers.

“Ma’am, his injuries are severe. It’s unlikely he’ll survive.” the researcher warned, placing David into a container and closing it.

“Well, we’ll see what happens, it’s not like they live when we graft them anyway... Clean the evidence off of the floor, and let’s get out of here before we’re seen…” Caitlin finalized, turning around to leave the room…

-

Emily awoke, her body feeling like she had the worst hangover. “Where… am I?” she groaned, as she rose up from her position, realizing she was in a hospital bed.

“Welcome back to the world of the living…” a voice joked, seated next to Emily.

“C.. Caitlin. What’s going on… why am I tied up?” Emily asked with fear, noticing she was restrained.

“Well… because you’re probably not going to like what I have to say, and the last time this happened, I took a pretty hard punch to the jaw. I’d like to avoid that this time…” Caitlin sighed, standing up.

“Is it okay if I pace around while I explain this to you? I feel I explain things better that way…” she asked, looking to Emily for affirmation.

Emily nodded, her expression continuing to show fear despite the familiar face, an odd sense of unease palpable in the air as the researcher stood before her.

“Well, let me begin by saying… David is gone… in the traditional sense…” Caitlin admitted, beginning to walk around the room.

“What? Why is David gone? What are you talking about… you better be fucking for real, right now… oh my god…” Emily began to panic, tears instantly streaming down her face.

“Please calm down, Ms. Smith…” Caitlin warned, a sense of authority in her tone.

“Let me explain further.” she continued. “David was brutalized, seemingly underneath a shoe, with severe pressure applied until most of the spinal cord was crushed. Any normal bodily function would be impossible to restore.” Caitlin continued, emulating the incident with playful mouth noises.

“What are you… no… so that was… that really was David… and Courtney crushed him?!” Emily sobbed, her heart rate growing impossibly fast.

“Yes, David likely accompanied you, within your shoe, from the facility all the way to your softball game. We’re unsure how long he remained in the shoe before escaping…” Caitlin further explained.

“My god… oh my god…” Emily wept, unable to wipe her tears due to the restraints. “Why… how did he end up there in the first place… why was he so small? How did you even do that?” she asked, begging for some kind of answer.

“The point of the experiment… well, you probably wouldn’t understand if I gave you the technical description… the point of the experiment was to deduct the olfactory sensitivity of reduced size individuals, as well as their ability to cope with the environments created by podiatric neglect and their adaptation to it. Are you following?” Caitlin asked, seeming inconvenienced by the very notion of explaining the concepts to Emily.

“You… wanted to see how he reacted… to smelly, nasty feet?” Emily responded, putting the puzzle pieces together in her flustered state.

“Precisely… well, as much as I expect you to ascertain. Yes, we wanted to subject David to several forms of differing levels of intense foot odor, bacteria and secretions, in order to see the likelihood of survival for one permanently exposed to that environment.” Caitlin elaborated, a look of contentedness on her face as she recalled the experiment.

“But… I still don’t understand… what use is that to you?” Emily asked, sniffling as her eyes and now nose continued to drip.

“Well, it’s plenty useful. Are you familiar with skin-grafting?” Caitlin offered, her voice indicative of a greater explanation to come.

“I… yes?” Emily responded, confused at the relevance.

“Great. So, let’s say someone suffered from foot odor. Let’s also say, hypothetically, their feet had a way to process the air, as well as the sweat, that emanated from their feet, by filtering it through a living, breathing biological implant, greatly limiting the likelihood of conditions like athlete’s foot, as well as mitigating the problems caused by conditions like, hyperhidrosis and bromhidrosis?” Caitlin continued, her tongue effortlessly pronouncing the words.

“I don’t understand… what do you mean by a biological implant…” Emily further inquired, struggling to keep her head level with the buzzwords bombarding her.

“This is growing exhausting… let me just explain in a way that you’ll understand…” Caitlin sighed, pinching her brow, before her head peaked up, as if she just thought of something.

She walked over to the foot of Emily’s hospital bed, and grabbed the sheets covering her body. She pulled them off with a quick sweep, leaving Emily’s legs, and more importantly her feet, exposed to the air.

“Say hello to… Courtney… and David!” Caitlin smiled, pointing to Emily’s feet. Emily wiggled her toes in subconscious response, not sure what Caitlin was getting at.

“Ugh… alright, in terms even a baby could understand… your friends have been merged with your feet. It was a great success! Never before have we even had a subject adhere successfully to a foot, but you managed to take in two specimens!” Caitlin cheered, looking at Emily as if she too would cheer alongside her.

“You… no…” Emily gasped, feeling her skin start to burn with unease.

“Yes. The tests to determine what a reduced person could handle at the feet of women was purely for the sake of judging if they could survive a full merge. Now, it’s been proven that it can be done! And not only that, but their vitals show they’re still fully alive, and sensing everything!” Caitlin continued. “Now, you have the privilege of self-cleaning, self-drying, self-massaging, living feet!”

Emily began to dry heave.

“Oh, please don’t vomit. It disgusts me.” Caitlin scolded. 

“Originally, I was going to offer myself as the host for David’s implantation! However, I have to tip my metaphorical hat to you young lady; you broke all the limits we had set for the level of parameters achieved by an individual's feet and lifestyle. After it was clear you’d seen David in his reduced, and terribly damaged state, I made the call to switch the target host to you! We figured, why not kill two birds with one stone?” she resumed, a look of envy on her face.

“Anyway, you don’t seem to understand; you’ve been given a gift most people will be paying hundreds of thousands for! Those… vile feet of yours will now barely smell at all, for as long as you live. Courtney Price and David Johnson will live on, in perpetuity, as long as you’re alive and blood pumps to your feet. They can smell, taste, and feel everything, every step you take, they’ll take with you. Isn’t it amazing?” she blissfully explained, pure passion emanating from her as she explained all the benefits.

“I’m gonna be sick…” Emily gagged, getting another disgusted glance from Caitlin.

“I will say, it’s a shame about young Courtney… see, when we captured you and David, we were about to leave, when the door to the locker room suddenly opened. There she stood, looking at our team with great confusion. She said something about forgetting her water bottle, and asked us what we were doing with you. It was then I realized that she was another witness we couldn’t let escape. So, we brought her back here, after knocking her out too, of course. The problem was… we didn’t have a use for her! So, I suggested we shrink her down too, and attempt to graft her to your feet to have a control group for David’s results. I didn’t expect her to succeed in grafting as well!” Caitlin laughed.

“You’re a monster… they were my friends! I grew up with them! You really think I’ll let you get away with this?!” Emily yelled, fighting her restraints with all her might.

“Actually… yes. You see, we’re a biologics company. And one of our wonderful prototype tools we’ve been working on will help us greatly in keeping you in your place. Say hello to our Memory Controller! The name is a work-in-progress…” Caitlin smiled, pulling what looked like a handheld tablet device out from her pocket.

“We’ve placed electrodes on your head. With this device, we’ll send signals into your brain, stimulating it to erase all memories from the past two weeks. You won’t remember the trial, nor will the two other people who knew you and David participated be able to say anything, because… well… they’re feet now!” Caitlin cackled. “This whole event will be forgotten. We’ve gotten the data we need, and this building won’t even exist by the time anyone would come to look."

“Please, don’t do this… you can still undo this all!” Emily begged, her eyes growing raw.

“Oh, that’s impossible. They’ve been fully incorporated into your feet. You can’t even tell by looking at them…or feeling, for that matter…” Caitlin said as she rubbed Emily’s foot. 

“Yes, the incorporation was immaculate, guaranteeing full compatibility with the host. There was no sign of rejection, and during our testing, we concluded that at least David could handle the three major conditions I mentioned earlier; hyperhidrosis, thanks to our lovely participant May, bromhidrosis, thanks to our… not so lovely participant Chloe, and now, heavily active feet, thanks to you, Emily!” Caitlin smiled, watching as the panicked athlete fought against her restraints with all her might.

“Alright Emily, anything you’d like to say to David and Courtney, before you forget any of this ever happened, and they begin their lives as your feet?” she asked, a hint of sadistic glee evident in her speech.

“Caitlin… you’re a fucking monster… but please… give me a second alone to say goodbye to them, if you’re really gonna do this…” Emily sobbed, struggling to keep her breath as she pleaded with the researcher.

“Hm… fine. I’ll give you five minutes. This device needs to be calibrated anyway. If you try anything funny, just know I wouldn’t mind having a personal graft of my own. My feet get awfully tired, sweaty and smelly walking around these labs…” Caitlin sighed, before grabbing the handle of the door.

“Five minutes, Ms. Smith…” she warned, leaving the room and closing the door behind her.

“D… David… Courtney… I’m so fucking sorry… if you really are in there, and she’s not playing a prank… I never meant for any of this to happen. I mean, for god sakes, how could I have…” Emily whimpered, looking longingly at her feet.

“Courtney, you were my best girl… you did so much for me, and you were so good at softball… I always thought you’d make it to the top… I’m so sorry they did this to you…” she continued, sniffling profusely.

“And David…” she began, her eyes pouring like waterfalls.

“I’m in love with you… I always have been. I always wanted to be with you but I didn’t want to make things weird between us… now I wish I just asked…” she began, a tone of longing regret in her voice.

“And now we can’t ever be a thing… because you’re my fucking foot… all because I got desperate for money…” she cursed, recalling the incident that started it all.

“This is so fucked up!” she yelled, directing her voice at the door, spitting with anger.

“I’m so sorry guys… I can’t even make things better for you, because I’m a fucking slob and they’re going to wipe my memory… I hope to god I’m not stupid enough to keep wearing my lucky shoes. You guys don’t deserve to be trapped under my feet… of all people… no one deserves that… fuck… what do I do!” she pleaded, hoping for an answer from some hidden deity.

No answer came.

“I just… I just wish I could do something about this… but I can’t break these restraints. They’ve got me held down, and my friends are my fucking feet now!” Emily cried.

She moved her feet, trying to feel for some indication of her friends within them. If anything, they just felt oddly relaxed. She thought about how Courtney and David always mocked her for having disgusting feet, and the times she watched as David would silently hide his gags as he stuck out foot massages after her games for her. Now, he, and Courtney would be forced to live that reality, day in, day out, never getting a break…

-

“Alright, it’s been five minutes…” Caitlin sighed as she opened the door and walked into the room, flanked by her assistant researcher.

“So, Lily… are you familiar with the current situation?” Caitlin asked, not paying Emily a single glance.

“Yes ma’am. We’ve achieved successful grafting with two subjects, and the host is prepared for memory wipe.” Lily responded, looking to her leader for affirmation.

“Very good Lily. Now, please observe Emily’s feet. Do you notice any sign of the graft on them?” Caitlin asked, looking back at the short researcher with expectancy.

Lily walked up to Emily, momentarily looking her in the eyes. As the brunette stared daggers at her, the meek researcher quickly looked away, then towards Emily’s feet.

“I don’t see any visible sign of modification to the feet, nor any abnormal irregularities. The smell is greatly reduced from earlier, and touching the sole indicates her feet are being massaged by the membrane as intended…” Lily summarized, feeling Emily's foot in every location.

“And the sweating?” Caitlin inquired, handing Lily what looked to be a magnifying glass.

“It seems… it seems each droplet is being reabsorbed into the foot… the membrane is functioning correctly ma’am…” Lily responded, looking meticulously at every inch of the appendage.

“You two aren’t even human…” Emily spat, trying to kick at them with her feet, but barely moved them an inch.

“The host is unhappy with the moral dilemma of the operation. This should iron out with the correct marketing approach…” Caitlin remarked, looking at Lily with a smirk, which the girl nervously responded to with a feigned smile.

“Anyway… we’ve got to start wiping our trace, Ms. Smith. As for you… you’ll continue to provide us with valuable data, and we’ll keep a very, very close eye on you from now on. You just won’t know it.” she continued, configuring something on the tablet she described as the Memory Controller.

“Wait… Ms. Ross…” Lily began, a look of unease on her face.

“...Yes, Lily?” Caitlin asked with curiosity.

“I have questions…” Lily continued, making sure the intimidating researcher wouldn’t be angry with her for speaking out of turn.

“Go ahead!” Caitlin pleasantly responded, continuing to mess with the Memory Controller.

“If we could kidnap and graft Ms. Price… why did we even go through the effort of luring David into the experiment, and why didn’t we just simply wipe Ms. Price’s memory, rather than grafting her?” Lily asked, the burning questions plaguing her curious mind.

“Very good questions, Lily! Well, to put it simply; Ms. Price was a matter of unique complication. To answer your first question… our primary goal within this experiment is to eventually be able to combine shrunken humans with host body parts, correct?” Caitlin asked, awaiting Lily’s answer.

“Right, ma’am… but who would volunteer for such a thing, besides those who don’t read the fine print?” Lily pushed, unsure of Caitlin’s intended direction.

“Well, not many. Fetishists, perhaps, but that’ll be a difficult thing to navigate with our clientele. Not many wealthy women like the idea of a foot perv living their dream life in their shoes…” Caitlin laughed, finishing toying with the device.

“Now, there is an inherent problem with kidnapping, like we did with Courtney and Emily, however we weren’t seen with them, thankfully. But we DID try to do it beforehand. That was the burn we had to go through in New York, if you recall.” she explained.

“Right… I remember now. We kidnapped that one?” Lily asked.

“Yes. Mr. Evans. Such an unfortunate case. His graft was unsuccessful, and it was quite a hassle getting his lifeless corpse unattached from my foot…” Caitlin complained, shuddering at the thought.

“But Mr. Evans had a family, and they came looking, knowing he signed up for our trial, and we had to vanish. I have to say, changing our business name so often is getting frustrating… at this point, Greater Steps was the first thing that came to mind… “ Caitlin remarked, before continuing her explanation.

“We wanted a volunteer, so that the process was entirely within legal bounds, to avoid the likelihood of a burn. So much for that. Anyway, we actually didn’t intend to graft Mr. Johnson, rather we were going to test the Memory Controller on him at the end of the experiment to make him forget, as we are now on Emily here.” Caitlin continued.

“But after he was gravely injured, it became clear he would have to disappear, either through death or grafting. We did our research, and he had few friends, but still would be searched for after vanishing. As such, a burn became necessary. Now, Lily, tell me, if we were going to burn anyway, something we usually try to avoid at all costs, why wouldn’t we go ahead and take an extra sample, to make it worthwhile?” Caitlin finalized with a smile, looking towards the foot Courtney was grafted to.

“I… I guess that makes sense…” Lily nervously agreed, trying not to show her concern towards Caitlin’s callous behavior. “But won’t people ask about Ms. Price, and Mr. Johnson?”

“They will. And that’s why we’re going to completely wipe Emily’s memory of these individuals, to avoid any chance of this coming back to us. Yes, people will question Ms. Smith about why it seems she forgot all about those she once loved and isn't distraught at their disappearance, but to answer as bluntly as I can; that isn’t our problem anymore…” Caitlin answered coldly. Lily was taken aback, but kept her mouth shut, fearing the cold-hearted woman before her.

“YOU’RE A FUCKING MONSTER!” Emily seethed, knowing that if she was freed in that moment, she would’ve ripped out Caitlin’s jugular.

Caitlin turned to her, as if she was surprised she was still in the room.

Emily was inconsolable, her voice fallen into sunken murmurs as she looked at the two researchers with absolute malice.

“Ah, yes, sorry Ms. Smith. I got distracted answering my subordinates' questions… let me return to what I was doing…” Caitlin apologized, as she picked the tablet back up and turned towards Emily.

“Subject: Emily Smith, undergoing testing for Phase One of the Memory Controller. Notable events we are seeking to eradicate: accepting the trial invitation, arriving at the facility, participating in testing, the finding of David Johnson, interaction with Courtney Price, and the past half-hour of memory…” Caitlin listed.

"Oh, and Lily?" she piped up, looking to her meek assistant.

"Yes ma'am?" Lily asked.

"Wipe all the data on her phone that pertains to these two. Otherwise, I doubt there's much that would leave her memory of them in question…" Caitlin instructed, continuing to look at the device, the heavy words barely an afterthought to her.

“Replacement of events in memory prepared. Subject will be convinced it was a skin-care trial, and will not remember David Johnson’s participation.” she explained, pressing buttons on the tablet.

“Notable individuals to wipe from memory… David Johnson… Courtney Price… Caitlin Ross…” she continued, pressing more buttons.

“Notable personality traits to enhance… lack of foot hygiene… habit of keeping shoes for too long…” she further elaborated, seemingly pushing up sliders on the device, a grin once more forming on her face.

“Wait! You said you were just going to wipe my memory!” Emily yelled, fighting her restraints once more.

“Well, we need to test these features, it may turn the Memory Controller into a complete brain altering device! You may experience some chronic headaches, but it’s worth using you while we’ve got you!” Caitlin laughed, holding the tablet a distance away as she made sure it all lined up.

Emily pulled against her shackles so hard she began to draw blood.

“Wipe and reconfiguration prepared. Subject is ready for execution of program…” Caitlin called out, looking around the room and making sure things were in place.

“Caitlin! Don’t do this!” Emily pleaded, her voice growing hoarse from screaming.

“Subject is in a heightened emotional state… administering pacifying shock…” Caitlin said coldly, pressing a button on the tablet.

Emily felt a harsh zap against her head, making her muscles spasm as she grew dizzy. “What’re you…” she mumbled, losing consciousness. The last thing she saw before passing out, was Caitlin walking towards her, and the far away sight of her two feet…

-

“What is… what’s going on…” David grumbled, feeling himself awaken from what felt like an eternal slumber. “I… I can’t move…” he grumbled further, feeling heavy and stiff. His other senses began to kick in, and he could just barely make out a growing, cheesy, acrid stench.

“Ugh… I know that smell… Emily’s feet… that girl needs to wash every now and then…” he groaned, the smell being so strong he could taste it. He tried to gag, but found he couldn’t do so. In fact, he couldn’t do much of anything, besides smell, taste, and feel.

He began to hear sounds, but they were muffled, and blocked out by a ringing noise. “So loud…” he complained, unable to reach up and cover his ears.

“What happened to me…” he wondered, trying to recall what had transpired to lead him here.

“I was… I was tiny… in Emily’s shoe… she shook me out… and I landed on my arm… it broke… and fucking hurt…” he muttered, noticing he wasn’t feeling that same pain.

“Then I tried to get her help… but then someone else… I think… Courtney… came over… and stepped on me?” he continued, trying as hard as he could to dig in his flustered memory.

“She crushed me… I felt the blood pour out of my body… and my bones were shattered. My limbs bent in all directions… and I couldn’t move…” he recalled, shuddering at the memory of the pain he felt in that moment.

“It was excruciating… and I looked up at Emily… she was so beautiful… I thought she’d be the last thing I’d see… but then she looked back down… and said my name…” he said, a fondness in tone.

“Then there was yelling… and Emily fell down… then I blacked out…” he finalized, reaching as far as he had memory to go.

“But where… where is Emily… and where am I?” he pondered, still hearing muffled noises, but they began to grow clearer, and around the same time, his vision began to change from black, to a sterile white glow, as his eyes finally opened, allowing him to see a fuzzy expanse of white.

“A hospital room? Am I… still alive? How fucked up must I be… I can’t even move an inch…” he panicked, only able to see what looked like an endless cloud.

Suddenly, the cloud flew away, revealing a room with lights so bright David tried to cover his eyes, but he still couldn’t move. He instead slowly struggled to take in the sights before him, as his eyes adjusted to the light, and his ears began to hear with clarity.

“Say hello to Courtney… and David!” a familiar, demonic voice boomed, startling David as he felt a hand poke at his body.

“Caitlin!” he realized, his voice seething with rage.

“YOU BITCH, I’LL KILL YOU!” he yelled, looking up at the lab-coat clad researcher with murderous intent as he tried to lunge for her throat, feeling no response from his body.

David realized something. It looked like he was in a hospital bed… but he was at the foot of it. Why would he be laid that way?

“Your friends have been merged with your feet…” David heard a snippet of the conversation making it through to his ears.

“Wait… is that why… no… no… god, no…” he panicked, quickly hyperventilating, but only managing to suck in fetid foot-air.

“I’m gonna hurl!” he yelled, dry heaving with sheer terror as he put the pieces together. He was either attached to a foot, or he WAS the foot. Regardless, he had no idea who’s foot he now belonged to. “May?! Chloe?!” he wondered, trying with fruitless effort to turn his head and see his captor. "Wait... she said friends..." he began, before a greater concern struck his mind.

“Why am I a foot?!” he screamed, before pausing. He noticed something. He wasn’t using his mouth to speak. It was all in his head. He COULDN’T use his mouth to speak. It was as if it was permanently held all the way open, taking in bucketful's of salty perspiration.

Suddenly, he heard something that caught his attention.

“Five minutes, Ms. Smith…” Caitlin sighed, before the sound of a door closing echoed through the room.

“Wait… Smith… Emily?!” he yelled, initially with glee at his friend being nearby, but quickly falling into melancholy, as he realized what that meant.

“No way… I’m… Emily’s foot…” he trembled. He felt absolute despair.

“Now she’ll never know how I feel…” he cried, unable to hold back his emotions as he descended into a state of delirious sadness.

He was broken out of this trance by the sound of a familiar voice, in this situation sounding like the message of an angel.

“D… David… Courtney… I’m so fucking sorry… if you really are in there, and she’s not playing a prank… I never meant for any of this to happen. I mean, for god sakes, how could I have…” he heard Emily whimper.

His heart sank as he heard the pain in her voice, knowing she truly had no control over what had transpired. “I love you, Emily…” he sobbed, hoping to god she could hear him.

“And David…” she said, catching his full interest as she changed the subject to him.

“I’m in love with you… I always have been. I always wanted to be with you but I didn’t want to make things weird between us… now I wish I just asked…” he heard her say. He couldn’t contain himself any longer, as he began to bawl, cursing the fact that he couldn’t feel any tears stream down his face.

“And now we can’t ever be a thing… because you’re my fucking foot… all because I got desperate for money…” he listened further, each word a harsh sting to his aching heart. He longed to be able to speak, to at least say goodbye to his childhood friend, and never-to-be lover. But his purpose wasn’t to speak anymore, it was to be the middle-man between the ground and her feet. There was no need for a voice, no need for control.

“Please god… help me…” he begged, praying for the first time in his adult life, not even able to hold his no longer existent hands together in true prayer.

Suddenly, a loud clunk shook the room, as the door opened once more. David watched as Caitlin returned, standing in front of him with something in her hands. She was followed by a smaller woman, one he recognized as Lily, Cailtin’s assistant.

“So, Lily… are you familiar with the current situation?” Caitlin asked, not even shooting David a glance. Why would she… he was a foot.

“Yes ma’am. We’ve achieved successful grafting with two subjects, and the host is prepared for memory wipe.” Lily responded, David looking at the short researcher, searching for some kind of empathy on her face, but only seeing what looked like the ass-kissing gaze of an assistant researcher at her mentor.

“Very good Lily. Now, please observe Emily’s feet. Do you notice any sign of the graft on them?” Caitlin asked, causing Lily to walk up and look towards David’s partner. “That must be Courtney…” he thought. “Poor girl… she didn’t even get the practice I got…”

“I don’t see any visible sign of modification to the feet, nor any abnormal irregularities. The smell is greatly reduced from earlier, and touching the sole indicates her feet are being massaged by the membrane as intended…” Lily’s voice echoed, as David noticed her looking towards him with a hand held out, as she began to feel up his body, touching him all over without any care.

“And the sweating?” he heard Caitlin ask, as he watched her hand Lily a magnifying glass. He looked as Lily lowered herself down, holding the glass before her eyes and showing an inflated perspective of her oculars as she looked intensely at David and his partner.

“It seems… it seems each droplet is being reabsorbed into the foot… the membrane is functioning correctly ma’am…” he heard her say. 

“Is that why I keep tasting sweat?” he wondered.

He noticed it even more now, a strong, salty taste that covered what he assumed was his tongue. It was exactly as he tasted earlier, only now it was inescapable. And the smell, every breath was rancid, like her foot was festering in the summer heat for days on end without a hint of soap. He even FELT sweaty, a thick film of grime coating his effective face.

He began to fade in and out of consciousness, only hearing traces of the furthering conversation…

“Anyway… we’ve got to start wiping our trace, Ms. Smith. As for you… you’ll continue to provide us with valuable data, and we’ll keep a very, very close eye on you from now on. You just won’t know it.” David heard Caitlin explain, her voice tinged with a hint of her trademark sadism.

David’s heart sank further, as he could just barely make out exhausted whimpers from Emily.

“Subject: Emily Smith, undergoing testing for Phase One of the Memory Controller. Notable events we are seeking to eradicate: accepting the trial invitation, arriving at the facility, participating in testing, the finding of David Johnson, interaction with Courtney Price, and the past half-hour of memory…” he heard Caitlin list.

“Wait… what is she doing… what is the Memory Controller?!” he panicked.

“Replacement of events in memory prepared. Subject will be convinced it was a skin-care trial, and will not remember David Johnson’s participation.” Caitlin explained further.

David began to writhe with all his might, hoping to somehow achieve… something!

“Notable individuals to wipe from memory… David Johnson… Courtney Price… Caitlin Ross…” she continued.

“NO! DON’T DO THIS! DON’T MAKE HER FORGET ME!” he pleaded, begging for a savior.

“Notable personality traits to enhance… lack of foot hygiene… habit of keeping shoes for too long…” he heard her say with a hint of amusement in her tone.

David screamed, as he knew Caitlin’s intentions all too well; she wanted him to suffer…

He felt his host foot kick and writhe around, sensing her every movement and increased pulse pumping through his body as Emily fought to do something.

“Wipe and reconfiguration prepared. Subject is ready for execution of program…” he heard Caitlin’s voice call out.

“Caitlin! Don’t do this!” Emily’s voice screamed.

“PLEASE DON’T!” David added, looking up at the apathetic researcher as she fiddled around on the tablet. He looked to Lily, who was simply looking at him with a visible scientific apathy, perfectly fitting for the Caitlin-in-training.

“Subject is in a heightened emotional state… administering pacifying shock…” he heard Caitlin mutter, as she fumbled with the device in her hands, looking past David towards Emily.

David began to protest further, until he felt a light shock come from the main body. “What did she do?!” he wondered, as he felt the pulse traveling to him begin to slow. As it dropped down, further and further, he himself began to feel light-headed. Before he could even get a final glance at the monster who ruined his life, his eyes closed, rendering him unconscious as his vision fully faded, the last thing he sensed being the disgusting taste of Emily’s uncared for appendage, which he now found himself a part of…

End Notes:

And so, David and Courtney find themselves joining their friend in a horrific act against god only seen in true-crime documentaries. How will their remaining existence play out, stuck at the rancid feet of Emily for the rest of their days...

Ending 1: Part 2 by GothicPopsic
Author's Notes:

We get to see a glimpse of Emily's new life, a year after the disappearance of her fellow students David and Courtney...

Emily sighed, wringing the sweat out of her hair as the summer sun beat down upon her body, leaving her glistening in the light of the softball field.

“Great work out there, Emily!” her coach shouted, garnering a smile from the auburn beauty as she walked back to the locker room. Her feet were as nimble as ever, feeling barely any soreness from such an intense workout. She wasn’t sure when this began, because she remembered always needing a massage from… someone, back in the day. But now, she could run marathons and barely feel a thing!

She sat down on the bench, leaning into her knees as she stared down at her feet with a smile.

“Still going strong…” she laughed, looking at her pink Asics, held together by a thread at this point. She wriggled her toes within the footwear, feeling a light film of sweat accumulated on the beaten insole.

“I think I’ll save a shower for later…” she said with a stretch, as she neglected changing out of her uniform, instead grabbing her things and beginning to head back to the dorm, before she was interrupted by her teammate, Kelsey.

“Hey Emily… you doing okay?” she asked, her face concerned.

“Yeah, I’m great, why do you ask?” Emily responded, a look of confusion on her face.

“Well, today’s the anniversary of when Courtney and your other friend David vanished… I just figured you might need to talk to someone…” Kelsey explained, placing a hand on Kelsey’s shoulder.

Emily sighed.

“Man, I don’t see why everyone thinks I know these people… it sucks what happened to them, but I barely knew them, if that. I’m fine, Kelsey…” Emily affirmed, taking Kelsey’s hand off her shoulder.

Emily walked away, leaving the locker room and walking back to her dorm.

“Poor girl…” Kelsey exclaimed.

“Did she seem okay?” another girl asked, walking up to Kelsey with an interest in the conversation.

“She’s still doing that thing where she pretends she didn’t know em’. We need to talk to her about getting a therapist…” Kelsey replied, getting a nod from the other girl.

-

Emily whistled along as her feet slapped against the scorching pavement, a bounce to her step as she walked along the city streets. In truth, she was happier than ever. She was division-one in softball, and was doing great in her major. She was a little lonely these days, but for some reason, she always felt like she was just fine with herself.

She opened the lock to her dorm, and stepped inside, thanking god that Abby was out. “Time to slip these babies off…” she grunted, as she stuck her toe of her right shoe onto the heel of her left, popping her foot out in all its glistening glory.

“Oh my god… stinky today…” she gagged, lifting her foot up to her face and coughing as she smelled the ripe appendage. “Maybe a week is a little too long to avoid a shower… I don’t know why I hate doing it so much…” she wondered, as she popped the other foot out, freeing her bare toes to the open air.

She sat on her bed, then took her feet into her hands, beginning to rub them vigorously. She sighed with bliss as the tightness in them melted away, leaving her with two perfectly happy, if a little... well, a LOT smelly feet as she laid back on the bed, staring up at the ceiling.

Suddenly, the sound of a piece of paper sliding under the door rang out through the room, and Emily turned to look at it.

She got up and picked it up, looking intently to see what it said.

“Clinical trial… looking for women to participate in a study observing their feet… two-hundred an hour?! Call this number?!” Emily shouted, as her hungry stomach begged her to take the hero’s call.

She ran over to her phone, picking it up and dialing the number with haste.

“C’mon, c’mon…” she grumbled, waiting for the other line to pick up.

Suddenly, a click indicated just that, and a voice began to speak on the other line.

“Hello, InStep Solutions, how may I help you?” the voice responded.

“Hi, this is Emily Smith, I saw your flier and wanted to learn more about the trial?” Emily excitedly explained, quietly bouncing on her feet as she awaited the ladies answer.

It took a few seconds, before the other voice began to speak again.

“...That’s wonderful to hear, Ms. Smith… let me tell you all about the trial…” the voice on the other end said, almost sounding like she was smiling.

Emily grinned, as she thought all about the money she was about to make…

End Notes:

And so concludes the first ending of the story! It's a little melancholy concluding my first ever story, but happy to have an end to it! Please leave a review, no matter how you felt. It helps a lot!

This story archived at http://www.giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=13253